PDA

View Full Version : Am I pulling any big no-nos?

PaddedPushUpBra
November 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Hey guys, I've been lurking around for awhile. I've just recently decided to grow my hair out to my elbows (or waist, as you guys would probably call it) and I've been trying to keep my hair in the best condition possible. I feel like I'm not doing enough though, so I thought I would post my routine and see if there's anything you guys wanted to add.

First off, a little about my hair. It's 1c/F/i and full of layers. I've been using Aussie's shampoo and conditioner, so I'm a cone user. Apparently my hair love them, but Aussie isn't saturated with them, so it's not a big deal. Also, I'm terrible with hand coordination, so a simple braid is just beyond me!

I take my showers every night, and I do the CWC method. I like to put my hair in a shower cap for the last conditioner and leave it in for about 10 minutes or so while I do other shower activities. 2-3 times I week I use the Aussie DEEEP conditioner, and that's helped my hair a lot. Then I throw my hair into a towel for about a half hour, and then I add about a dime sized amount of Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave-In conditioner and put my hair in the towel for another 15 minutes/whenever it falls off and I'm too lazy to put it back it. I let it air dry over night while a sleep and I keep it loose.

Then in the morning I add three drops of jojoba oil to my length, and out the door I go!

And before you ask, I do have to wash my hair every day. It becomes a greasy mess after one, and I've tried waiting a day or two inbetween, but my hair refuses to behave! But I find that washing my hair is very relaxing, so I don't mind =)

lyria
November 28th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Hello and welcome!

I think the "big no-no" people here might call you out on is the daily shampoo and conditioner and maybe using cones. But I totally understand the relaxation of washing your hair (I'm a major sybarite)! I also sleep with my wet hair loose and find that just swinging it above me on the pillow lets it dry without tangling overnight.

It sounds like you are taking great care of your hair. Good Luck!

eccentricquirks
November 28th, 2008, 03:53 PM
A couple of mild suggestions.....

Satin pillows can be had on the relatively cheap either by making them yourself or by buying them from the local Dollar stores and Family Dollars (if you've got them in your area, buy them out while they are in stock!! and save them up). Satin does reduce the amount of friction your hair experiences while you sleep, which reduces damage - very important while its drying. It doesn't have to be the most expensive material out there either - poly works as well as cotton or silk, but costs a fraction to get you started.

You didn't mention when you brushed, or if. Brushing while wet can be a big no-no for most people. Unless you are me and are so addicted to it that its the one vice you can't give up. Wide tooth comb, then go progressively narrower with the teeth as it is detangled. There is no shame in owning multiple combs.

You may also want to switch your jojoba-ing to at night, to give your hair time to absorb.

PaddedPushUpBra
November 28th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

I always hear about how washing your hair everyday is bad, but if I don't it gets really oily and gross, and sometime it gets in my eyes and BURNS!!

Also, my hair tangles all the time. I use a BIG paddle brush at home which can go through my hair in a few seconds without damaging it, and I use a wide tooth when it's wet. I'm looking to buy a BBB soon, so I'm keeping my eye out for that.

I should also mention that my hair is currently at BSL right now.

plainjanegirl
November 28th, 2008, 04:29 PM
So do you comb your hair before you go to bed (after taking it out of the towel)? If so be sure to use the wide tooth comb then. I would save the brush for the next day when the hair is dry. If your routine is working I'd keep doing it as is. Do you do any heat styling at all? If not then that is great. As for cones they aren't always bad it just depends on each individuals hair. My hair loves cones. You should post a pic of your hair when you get a chance. Welcome to the LHC!

Kirin
November 28th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

I always hear about how washing your hair everyday is bad, but if I don't it gets really oily and gross, and sometime it gets in my eyes and BURNS!!

Also, my hair tangles all the time. I use a BIG paddle brush at home which can go through my hair in a few seconds without damaging it, and I use a wide tooth when it's wet. I'm looking to buy a BBB soon, so I'm keeping my eye out for that.

I should also mention that my hair is currently at BSL right now.

Washing/conditioning daily really isn't that big of a deal, nor is the cones. One man's pleasure is another man's poison as they say. there's plenty of "coneheads" around here and daily washers. The idea is, if you do these things daily, just be very very gentle, no scrubbing or lathering the length and all that.

lora410
November 28th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I haven't read all the replies, but if you are washing daily you could cwc. Put condish on length (ears down), shampoo scalp and rinse, and then add conditioner again on the length in your cap. I also wash daily becuase my scalp gets a funky smell if I don't.

Day 1 wash and condish
day 2 co only
day 3 co only
day 4 wash

Sounds like you are doing good thus far :)

eyesofsummer
November 28th, 2008, 05:59 PM
My only suggestion is to use a t-shirt instead of a towel to hold up your hair. Towels can get really heavy, and they're much more abrasive. Just stick your head in the bottom and wrap it up on top!

Tangles
November 28th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Honestly, hair doesn't ask for much. Overdoing it can be just as bad as anything else.

justgreen
November 28th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I would just suggest an ACV rinse every now and then, it could possibly help with that daily greasy scalp. You see, when you wash your scalp with harsh shampoo (and believe me, they all have cleansers in them), you strip the natural oils and that puts the scalp into hyperdrive to produce more oils and it over does it. I have been diluting my shampoo for almost three years and applying to scalp only with a nozzle tipped applicator bottle. 1 tablespoon of shampoo with about 3-4 ounces of warm water, shaken well, supplies me TONS of lather for my scalp and really lessens the cleanser part of it.

The ACV rinse will help correct your scalp Ph and remove old shampoo/conditioner residue and also help with tangles and shine.