PDA

View Full Version : Piling up hair?

DragonLady
November 28th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I've been seeing comments about not piling hair up when washing. I find this interesting, but am not sure how to avoid it?

I do SMT's once a week, and leave it on for at least two hours -sometimes overnight, depending on my schedule, as I sometimes can't put it in 'till past my normal bedtime. When I do, I gently pile my hair up, and put it under a shower cap.

I've just started using catnip, and I do the same with it, albeit for a shorter time.

And finally, I wash my hair in the kitchen sink. Our shower suffered a broken pipe years ago in an inaccessible location; one of those pesky things we talk about fixing...but there always seems to be some other priority to spend the money on because it's going to be very expensive. In the meantime, we just take tub baths. But nnone of us can stand washing our hair that way, so we use shower caps (dry hair) and wash hair seperately in the kitchen. Also...it's easier to clean up, as the tub drain gets clogged and nasty, but the kitchen has nice traps that catch everything.

I have to flip my hair over my head, then wash from the back of my neck down my lenght, if that makes sense. Then I wrap it in a towell and twist the towel into a turban 'till it's mostly dry.

Is there a better method? I know I lose or break a LOT of hair everytime I wash it, but I don't have any idea how to minimize it more than I have.

Also, I only wash once a week, and I do dilute the shampoo, but I do wash the whole length because I smoke cigarettes and can't stand the stale smoke smell. :(

I'm open to any and all suggestions, as I think this (breakage) is the last big issue that I haven't found some respite for. So, thanks in advance. :)

Chromis
November 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I would get a trap for the tub (the metal mesh ones are great and should be well under five dollars) and grab a pot or better yet a pitcher (dollar store will do fine) and wash your hair that way. Then you won't need to flip your head upside down and you'll be using nice clean water.

AnneAdeline
November 28th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Since you're only washing once a week, all that hair you're seeing might just be shed hair. When I stretched out my washes to a week, I noticed an increased number of shedding, though it is just because the hair builds up.
I've been wrapping my hair in towel turbans in much the same way. I don't know if anyone here has noticed increased breakage from that or if it is just speculation. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the matter will stop by.

DragonLady
November 28th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I would get a trap for the tub (the metal mesh ones are great and should be well under five dollars) and grab a pot or better yet a pitcher (dollar store will do fine) and wash your hair that way. Then you won't need to flip your head upside down and you'll be using nice clean water.

I have done that with a pitcher, mostly when I've been in a hurry for some reason, but it's really not very comfortable. I seem to get water everywhere, too.

I did buy a trap for the tub a couple of years ago, but I only use it when I shave in the tub. The soap scum and hair just make a nasty mess that we don't get in the kitchen.

serabelle
November 28th, 2008, 03:40 PM
mellie shared this link with me last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa70b...eature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa70bmRgF6Q&feature=related)

The way she "wraps" her hair seems to minimize breakage. I've heard that doing the turban wrap can be damaging.