PDA

View Full Version : Question about blow dry or alternative to

Chrissy
November 28th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Hi guys. Like I mentioned in my blog I do blow fry. Can any of you suggest an alternative? I have fine/straight hair. If I let it airdry (which I did more of when it was long) it looks very flat and blah. I would be willing to try something different if any of you have any suggestions. I'm sure I should already know the answer to this since I've been on here for eons.

One problem too is since I'm growing it back out I'm going through the icky, sucky, yucky blah blah bla growing out phase. Right now it doesn't look too bad but some days to me it's just not the best. I know once it gets a bit longer it will look better. So I'm open for ideas.

I want my new hair to be as healthy as possible.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Also any no cone ideas? I think I need some cones or my hair tangles like crazy. Maybe alternate no cone/cone on different days. I will also go to the products board and check that out too.

Speckla
November 28th, 2008, 06:48 AM
A diffuser on cool or warm is a great way to dry and not fry.

Dimethicone isn't too bad. It's water soluble. Look for 'cones that start with PEG and they're also water soluble. Most Aussie products are good and they have sea kelp or aloe in them that helps moisture and make hair soft. Suave Natural conditioners are good and only the coconut one has protein (incase you're protein sensitive - like me).
________
CHRYSLER CITADEL (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_Citadel)

Speckla
November 28th, 2008, 06:50 AM
*pix*

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JJM9RJNQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It will circulate the warm air but not put the full blast on your hair.
________
Sativa Strains (http://strainindex.com)

Addy
November 28th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I like to blow dry my hair on occasion for a sleeker look <no waves> but I use the cool setting and get just about the same results without the hot air. I don't use a round brush or anything but my fingers. Maybe that will help.

jera
November 28th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Try using an SLS free thickening shampoo to add some volumne and compromise with yourself re: the blowdryer. Just blow dry to a point and towel or air dry the rest. It's so hard to get through that awkward phase isn't it.?

You had such long healthy looking hair, what made you cut it? :confused: Sorry, but long to short like that without an explanation is upsetting.

Roseate
November 28th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I second the diffuser: it takes a little longer but is gentler and gives great volume.

Also any no cone ideas? I think I need some cones or my hair tangles like crazy.
I've really been liking this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277)defrizzing spray recipe, it makes my hair nice and smooth. Our hairtype is quite different, though, so my uses for cones might be different from yours...

I'm growing out my hair too, and just to scare jera a little more, here's my braid on the way out! :p

I actually enjoyed my short hair, but the growing-out phase is no picnic. If only going back to long was as quick and easy as going short!

spidermom
November 28th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I think as long as you use only the warm and cool settings and avoid pulling/stretching with a brush, the blow-dryer isn't going to do a lot of harm.

kwhitchurch
November 28th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I have the same problem...my hair looks horrible if I don't do any kind of styling like blow dry! I have been letting it air dry almost completely and then using a blow dryer just to finish drying and curl my ends under a little...diffuser a big plus too

RetroKitten
November 28th, 2008, 11:25 AM
http://ylcf.org/gotcurl/curlyclipping.htm
I don't know it works with straight hair though....

invisiblebabe
November 28th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Another vote for the diffuser :) I use it, and I love it. It really gives my hair body and volume.

lapushka
November 28th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I have fine hair as well. My suggestion is (what I did many many years ago), don't use a brush and a hair dryer to model / style the hair right away. Flip your hair over and dry it for the most part upside down. Use your hands to work through it. This creates root volume. When it's almost dry, flip your hair back upright and it shouldn't be as flat as before. You can then style with a brush if it's too whispy. Flipping the hair works better than a diffuser.

Mishka_84
November 28th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I also have very fine hair, almost straight. I have just enough wave to make my hair look frizzy, even though there's no frizz. When I wear my hair down I'll blow dry so it is perfectly straight. What I do is let it air dry about halfway, then get the dryer and leave it on "warm" instead of "hot". I'll also flip over upside down, to give my roots some lift. This is better (imo) than using styling products. I also don't brush it out until it's completely dry.

As far as no cone alternative, have you tried ACV? It really is a great detangler, and leaves your hair shiny and smooth. I've actually put a mix of half apple cider vinegar and half water in a misting bottle, and used as a spray in detangler. Works great, and the scent doesn't take long to dissapear.

spidermom
November 28th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Works great, and the scent doesn't take long to dissapear.

Amazing! I can use ACV on my hair, then rinse-rinse-rinse, and my hair will still smell like vinegar days later.

jera
November 28th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I second the diffuser: it takes a little longer but is gentler and gives great volume.

I've really been liking this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277)defrizzing spray recipe, it makes my hair nice and smooth. Our hairtype is quite different, though, so my uses for cones might be different from yours...

I'm growing out my hair too, and just to scare jera a little more, here's my braid on the way out! :p
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/2791504650_30ae01e498_m.jpg
I actually enjoyed my short hair, but the growing-out phase is no picnic. If only going back to long was as quick and easy as going short!

Arrrrggghhh !!!! she screams as she pounds her forehead repeatedly against her keyboard.
Who's the sadistic person photographing this atrocity? :confused: I could never do that. Haircuts make me hyperventillate. :p

Philomela
November 28th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Amazing! I can use ACV on my hair, then rinse-rinse-rinse, and my hair will still smell like vinegar days later.

Same with me. More than that, I turn into a frizzball after using ACV (no matter how diluted it is), or regular vinegar, for that matter.

Roseate
November 28th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Arrrrggghhh !!!! she screams as she pounds her forehead repeatedly against her keyboard.
Who's the sadistic person photographing this atrocity?

I think putting that photo up on this board is maybe a little like posting a scene from a slaughterhouse on a vegan site... I shouldn't be so mean.

Don't worry, my hairdresser is not coming to get you! (Or me, either. He's the same guy who helped me get my hair that long in the first place, and I definitely trust his scissors.)

And my photographer/best friend shares your feelings, he was hiding his eyes in horror while taking the pictures!

/OT:)

Mishka_84
November 29th, 2008, 02:43 AM

Same with me. More than that, I turn into a frizzball after using ACV (no matter how diluted it is), or regular vinegar, for that matter.

Really? It's never lasted longer than a few minutes for me. Though DH can't stand to walk in the bathroom after I use ACV, lol, he swears the smell lingers in there for hours, yet he can't smell it in my hair.

Chrissy
November 29th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Try using an SLS free thickening shampoo to add some volumne and compromise with yourself re: the blowdryer. Just blow dry to a point and towel or air dry the rest. It's so hard to get through that awkward phase isn't it.?

You had such long healthy looking hair, what made you cut it? :confused: Sorry, but long to short like that without an explanation is upsetting.

I'm a stress cutter. When I'm stressed (it has to be pretty bad) I cut. I feel like it's something I can control when nothing else is controlable. I've done it several times in my life, even before LHC. I've made a vow this time to never do it again.

So even though it is a dumb reason that is THE reason. I always regret it after I do it. Well not initially but after awhile I miss it.

Chrissy
November 29th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah the hair cutting picture makes me cringe. You look to have beautiful thick hair. How short did you go?

Deborah
November 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I used to dry my hair in front of a large fan. This can accomplish what you want with no worry about heat damage.

Just stand or sit far enough from the fan that your hair cannot get caught in it. :doh:

tina1025
November 29th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I fan dry my hair too and i love it. I have been doing it for a long time.

jera
November 29th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I'm a stress cutter. When I'm stressed (it has to be pretty bad) I cut. I feel like it's something I can control when nothing else is controlable. I've done it several times in my life, even before LHC. I've made a vow this time to never do it again.

So even though it is a dumb reason that is THE reason. I always regret it after I do it. Well not initially but after awhile I miss it.

Ahhh, stress cutting. I understand. I've done that in the past myself, but not for a very long time. I think the 2 week rule LHC advocates when considering a drastic cut is a good one. I hope your journey back to long hair will be pleasant and easy. At least you're smiling in your new short hair pic, so it can't be all that terrible. :p Hugs.

Nes
November 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I'm addicted to blowfrying since my hair takes about 20 hours to dry naturally. I've started letting it airdry until about 90% dry and then just finishing it off with the blowfryer on the cool setting for 5 mins.

Good luck

Nes x

Curlsgirl
November 29th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Giovanni smooth as silk shampoo and conditioner is one of the best I have found with no cones. Have you tried that?

Sissy
November 29th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Giovanni smooth as silk shampoo and conditioner is one of the best I have found with no cones. Have you tried that?

Curlsgirl,

I just bought some Smooth as Silk conditioner while I was Black Friday shopping. I got it at a pharmacy for 8 dollars, so not badly priced. I loved the way it felt in the shower and while my hair was drying. I think the ingredients sound very healthy... a lot of different oils in it.

Sissy :o

Roseate
November 29th, 2008, 11:52 PM
You look to have beautiful thick hair. How short did you go?

It was up around my chin. See the bloody aftermath of the cut:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/2791505324_4b7c2bef78_m.jpg

I enjoyed the change, but I'm ready for some length again. My hair really is thick, and it tends to puff up when short. It's just hit this really annoying just-past shoulder length where it lands on my shoulders and expands to a huge triangle! Argh!