PDA

View Full Version : Why do heavy oilings work?

MandaMom2Three
November 27th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Ok, so on one hand I hear that oils do not impart moisture, instead they just lock in the moisture that's there. Ok, so that's why a light oiling on dry hair makes it look gross but a light oiling on damp freshly conditioned hair is heavenly. Ok. But on the other hand many find a deep heavy oiling before washing to be very beneficial. Why would that be? If the oil doesn't condition on it's own, why would it help to oil BEFORE washing. I know it DOES, my hair likes a deep oiling too (which reminds me I need to do one od those soon) but I can't figure out how these two ideas coexist. Can someone explain to me pretty please :o

6monkeys
November 27th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I don't know, but that is a really good question:poot:

spidermom
November 27th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Oils do not merely seal in the moisture that's already there. Essential fatty acids are part of the structure of hair. There are places in the structure where EFA's fit just like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. Your hair absorbs the EFAs that it needs to replenish what has eroded away.

MandaMom2Three
November 27th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Ahhhhhhhh, I gottcha. Good to know! Hmmmmm I guess there must be some scientifical way to figure out what ones perfect oil would be based on some chemistry calculation that is hurting my brain just thinking about it LOL

Peter
November 27th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Ahhhhhhhh, I gottcha. Good to know! Hmmmmm I guess there must be some scientifical way to figure out what ones perfect oil would be based on some chemistry calculation that is hurting my brain just thinking about it LOLWell, jojoba oil is very chemically similar to sebum, so I imagine it would be a great choice.

Flaxen
November 27th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Two things:
Oil helps keep the length from being overwashed, and in the case of coconut oil, it has an affinity for keratin and has been shown to protect against protein loss. :thumbsup:

MandaMom2Three
November 27th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Cool! I have to have a word with my hair about liking coconut oil :D

Flaxen
November 27th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Cool! I have to have a word with my hair about liking coconut oil :D
Mine didn't for the longest time, either - instant crunchiness. Then all of a sudden it changed, and I'm not sure why. I think it's because it works better on virgin hair and as time went on I attained more and more of that and less of the once chemically treated stuff.

Aisha25
November 27th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I find it amazing how Indias been using coconut oil for thousands of years thats how I learned to do heavy oilings:D

Katze
November 28th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Heavy oilings don't work for me. They weigh my hair down, making me have to shampoo more, and seem to make my scalp itchy. When I was first trying to heal my hair from all the years of dye and bleach, I would use essential oils in a carrier oil on my scalp, trying to follow advice I got in books for my dandruff. Even with the added astringent factors of essential oils, heavy oilings never got me anywhere.

I always wonder at people who can oil their hair, like my dreadlocked friend C. She got me into putting shea butter on my hair, but what worked on her type 4, C, ii hair doesn't work on mine, at all. I have always looked longingly at Indian hair oils, knowing they would not really work for my hairtype.

ChloeDharma
November 28th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Repeating what Spidermom and Flaxen said, oils help replace EFA's and provide protection from wear and tear and from washing. But this idea that they form a complete seal isn't entirely true, some oils like mineral do that, but in the case of coconut oil it acts to slow down the rate that water enters and leaves the hair shaft. Overall this does have the effect of "moisturising" hair and also prevents the frequent swelling and shrinking of the shaft which over time could weaken it.

Arctic
November 28th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Ok, so on one hand I hear that oils do not impart moisture, instead they just lock in the moisture that's there. Ok, so that's why a light oiling on dry hair makes it look gross but a light oiling on damp freshly conditioned hair is heavenly. Ok. But on the other hand many find a deep heavy oiling before washing to be very beneficial. Why would that be? If the oil doesn't condition on it's own, why would it help to oil BEFORE washing. I know it DOES, my hair likes a deep oiling too (which reminds me I need to do one od those soon) but I can't figure out how these two ideas coexist. Can someone explain to me pretty please :o

Bolding mine.
I wanted to point that moisturizing and conditioning are two different things.
Oils indeed, like others have explained, have conditioning effects.

Loviatar
November 28th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Mine didn't for the longest time, either - instant crunchiness. Then all of a sudden it changed, and I'm not sure why. I think it's because it works better on virgin hair and as time went on I attained more and more of that and less of the once chemically treated stuff.

Ooh Flaxen you've just cleared something up for me. I get slightly crunchy ends and lower length (where my black dye is still there) with coconut oil but the rest of my hair loves it. Thanks for making that make sense :D

MandaMom2Three
November 28th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Ahhh ok. Most of my length still has chemical colouring on it :p

MandaMom2Three
November 28th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Bolding mine.
I wanted to point that moisturizing and conditioning are two different things.
Oils indeed, like others have explained, have conditioning effects.

Ok, this may be dense but bear with me. What is the difference between conditioning and moisturizing?

neon-dream
November 28th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Oils do not merely seal in the moisture that's already there. Essential fatty acids are part of the structure of hair. There are places in the structure where EFA's fit just like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. Your hair absorbs the EFAs that it needs to replenish what has eroded away.

Now that's a good answer! Thanks for this! :blossom:

Curlsgirl
November 29th, 2008, 06:48 PM
My hair still has chemical coloring on it and it LOVES coconut oil on damp hair. However, when I first came here it didn't like it but I think it was because I wasn't using it right for my hair. Now I only use it on damp hair and it's great. Deep oilings don't seem to do much for me though either. Moisturizing conditioners like Jessicurl Too Shea and Biolage conditioning balm work much better for me.

marajade
November 29th, 2008, 08:47 PM

Thanks for sharing, I never knew that!!! :D

ChloeDharma
November 29th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Ahhh ok. Most of my length still has chemical colouring on it :p

I would take that as a possibility, not a rule. When my hair was chemically fried it was regular soakings in coconut and other oils that turned it from crunchy snapping frizz to something still damaged, but more presentable, flexible and ALOT softer. Nt overnight, but each time it improved just a little bit. I beieve if i hadn't done that it would have all ended up breaking off alot more.
As with most things, it's best to be guided by how your hair reacts.

Flaxen
November 29th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Ok, this may be dense but bear with me. What is the difference between conditioning and moisturizing?
Moisturizing is adding water (moisture) in some way. Conditioning might include softening, making more flexible, reducing static; those kinds of things. Most commercial conditioners also moisturize since water is usually one of the top ingredients, but oils would be one type of conditioner that don't moisturize. Make sense? :dizzy:

MandaMom2Three
November 30th, 2008, 08:16 PM
ok, I get it. Thanks :D