PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting a little frustrated...

MissMaryMac
November 27th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I've never really been a 'hairstyle' girl. My hair has been long a great deal of my life and I have always just done a simple ponytail, crappy bun, or left it down. Since I've been here at LHC, I see so many wonderfully beautiful updo's and I WANT!! I bought some Ketylo hair sticks but have had little luck getting them to hold even a simple bun for longer than 5 minutes. I think I've watched all of the instructional videos a hundred times and my hair just falls every time I try something. Is there anyone with hair similar to mine that can offer some tips and maybe some hair toys that work well for their hair?? Thank you!!!!!!:)

MandaMom2Three
November 27th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I don't have the same hair type, but it did take a LOT of practice before I could use a hairstick as the primary means of holding my hair. I got quite frustrated along the way. Don't give up, practice makes perfect! (or in my case, at least possible :D )

magpielaura
November 27th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Something I have found that helps make your hair 'grip' itself better and hold in hairstick buns is not to brush/comb it before making the bun. I don't mean to have it all tangly - just not too smooth. Then weave the stick through the hair, easing it under the bun close to scalp and through the twists of the bun. I tend to start and finish with a scoop of hair close to the scalp (if that makes sense!)

I think it is more difficult to get smooth or slippery hair to stay but keep practicing!

HairColoredHair
November 27th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Doing buns with hair sticks can take practice! Don't give up!

Have you practiced with normal sticks? The Ketylo sticks are the curly ones, right? Perhaps normal straight sticks will be easiest first off?

Arctic
November 27th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Hair forks might hold better and be easier to use? I see you have very thick iii hair that is also fine. Fine hair is often slippery, is yours? That might be part of the problem as well as you thickness. Did you try one or two hair sticks? Often two sticks crossed gives better hold.

Keep practicing, I'm sure you'll figure out how they work! Think zig-zag: Bun hair - scalp hair - bun hair- scalp hair... etc.

magpielaura
November 27th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I find one stick easier than two! :)
I rarely use both as often the second one ruins it, or makes it too tight. The shape, length, material, points of the stick all make a difference; some people like one thing some another. Experiment with pencils/knitting needles/chopsticks etc you have around the house to save expensive purchases to see if anything helps. Oh - that reminds me - I bought a brass letter opener in a junk shop today to experiment with!

vamq
November 27th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Don't worry, as many here said, I also think practise is the most important. When I first got to the dutch hairforum, I couldn't even do a simple 3-strand braid.

I don't know with what type of bun you've tried, but I think one of the easiest best holding buns to begin with would be a chinese bun. For plusminus half a year, it was the only bun I could make, and I still love it (:

Curlsgirl
November 27th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I once sold my ketylo sticks because I couldn't use them or THOUGHT I couldn't. Then I went to hair forks and for me they were easier to learn with. I like the 60th street Productions forks the best because they are very smooth and don't pull as easily. After I got good with the forks then I went to sticks and I LOVE them now. I just ordered a couple of ketylos and can't wait to get them. I agree that practice is the key. Don't get frustrated. Just keep trying. I have the best hold and comfort with a figure 8 myself.

MissMaryMac
November 27th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Wow, thank you everyone for your encouragement! I went to bed shortly after posting this thread so I didn't get to answer right away. I will keep practicing; and also try some new hair toys... the forks are what I have my eye on, because I have seen them hold some crazy amount of hair. I really don't think my hair is that thick, but anyone who touches it says 'gah you have a TON of hair!'. It is super slippery, especially after I comb it. I will try to keep you all updated with my progress, and thank you all, again!:D

dukkelisa
December 1st, 2008, 03:24 PM
I put my slippery hair in a ponytail and binder first, then twist into a bun. Then the sticks have an anchor to slide under.

Flying Betty
December 1st, 2008, 05:05 PM
!!!!!!!!!!

Lady Lilya
December 1st, 2008, 08:06 PM
I need rock solid hairdos because I have to chase a toddler around. I make my hair stay with whatever numerous amount of pins I need, and then use the sticks just for decoration.

Anje
December 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM
Sticks take practice, but the key to using them in many styles is that they serve as something of a lynchpin that holds a small section of hair in place, and then the rest of the hair is held with that section. I've got hair that's similar to yours, though not quite so long or thick, and I will report that on particularly slippery hair days, a stick (particularly one of my ketylos) is about the only thing that will hold my hair, while pins, Ficcares, and the like go sliding everywhere.

A particularly good one-stick bun to start with (in my opinion) is the Orchid Wrap (http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=1325) (instructions on the third post from the top). You'll need to work out the right tension, but it certainly holds well. Another is the Nautilus bun (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=466690622319220011) (aka inside-out bun), held with a horizontal stick that goes over the outermost wrap (which could be twisted, if you prefer), under the middle section, and then back over the other side of the outside wrap. Very comfortable when the hair is actually willing to stay in a 'do.

You'll notice that I prefer single sticks. One stick is more my suited to my style than two, but the main reason is that I find that two sticks create more pulling than one, just like Magpielaura. Definitely try one stick, two sticks (parallel as well as crossing), at several different angles. Many find horizontal sticks more comfortable than vertical ones. Some people have better luck with forks. If your budget allows, try a Ficarre -- there may be some on the swap board, or you might be able to try one at a LHC meet in your region.

Tressie
December 1st, 2008, 09:09 PM
I think we need a tutorial on that "crappy bun"? (o: (o:

As DH is fond of saying, "all seriousness aside".............just trying to make you smile! Believe me, I found it a challenge when I started to try updos, and I am not proficient yet! LoL!

I don't have any ketylos, but I would say you need to get a pretty good twist when you are first learning so that the hair is rather tightly wound. Do this by starting with either a high pony, or gathering your hair up in one hand where you want your bun to rest of your head.

Start twisting or spinning your hair around and around like a coil and as you twist, it should "coil" up on your head. As you get more adept at this you can adjust the coil and do other types of styling, but I think it's best to try a cinnabun or some sort of eternity bun at the first. You can tuck the end of your coil into the bun toward the center, or add a pin.

Next while holding your twisted hair with one hand, grasp your stick and insert the tip partially straight down on one side of the bun. As the stick enters the hair, point it out toward your ear, then scoop it back down into the bun and reverse the direction through to the opposite side picking up some of the scalp hair and as you pierce through the other side of the bun with the pointed end of the stick. Try to come up through and out of the thickest part of the twisted hair on that side as you exit the bun with the end of your hairstick. This should give you a pretty firm hold, if you can follow my crazy directions! (o:

I never would have believed I could hold my slippery hair with only one or two sticks! It's amazing to me. I wish I'd known about hairsticks and how to use them long ago!! Good luck and don't give up! (o:

Katze
December 2nd, 2008, 02:47 AM
I have similar hair and the only stick that works is the Ketylo, because it is twisted and I can stick it into my hair, twist, pull it back out, then weave it back in against itself. Apart from bike riding, this hairdo holds, though it's the only hairdo that works with a stick for me. I am a bit lost about how people make them hold buns...?

My BF has curlier, shorter, and thicker hair (so between yours and mine) and I've been able to get this technique to work on his hair..but maybe your length is an issue?

Anyway I will shut up because I am not a hairdo expert, in the least...:D

spidermom
December 2nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
I only have one bun that reliably stays, but I haven't written the article yet. I should do that. There's a picture and description in my photo album - "the bun that stays." You can use one or more sticks or a fork.

MissMaryMac
December 2nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
Thank you , thank you, thank you everyone for your help and input!! Today I did a cinnabun and secured it with an elastic, then put my ketylo sticks in for decoration. It ended up looking (in my opinion!) really nice and though it didn't feel tight or secure, it stayed all day! So, the more practice and experimenting I do, the more confident I get. Now I really want some more hair toys!! :cheese:

Anje
December 2nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
IMO, cinnamon buns are particularly hard to secure with sticks, especially as they get more spirals, as with longer hair. I'm glad you got it to stay with the help of the elastic, but by all means, try other buns with sticks. Some work better than others, and different people have more luck with different ones.