PDA

View Full Version : Help! Newly Curly

tabbymook
November 27th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Hello there,

Following the advice of all you wise ones, I hid my hairdryer, CO'd my hair, and left it to air-dry this morning WITHOUT touching it. For me, this is almost as momentous as the day I threw my smokes in the garbage and said nevermore.

I have blow-dried my hair every time I've washed it for the last five years. Since then, I've had a thyroid disease, PCOS, anemia (both B and iron) highlights many times over, I'm also a hair-puller-outer-- basically I should be sent to cool my heels in a long-term dungeon somewhere for crimes against hair.

But now I have curly hair. Damaged, faded curly hair. Is it from my thyrod medication? I've been playing with my ringlets all morning, skipping around the house! But I know nearly zero about curls. I've posted a pic of myself in my profile (and one in my avatar) from around ten minutes ago. I would really appreciate a little advice about making things a little more manageable!

Thanks so much!

Kerry-Lee

Monsterkitti
November 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Hi welcome to LHC :)

Just visited your page, lovely curls youve got there :)

My curls love moisture, lots of it so I'd say pampering it with SMT's might be worth a try. If CO works for you then thats also good.

Not using a brush has also really helped retain curl for me.

Good luck with encouraging your curls :)

Boots
November 27th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I would say you're on the right track! I have quite curly hair. I CO, and use aloe and a drop of oil scrunched in and leave to air dry. Curly hair tend to ve dry so I use SMTs or my own mix of deep condutioner wuth coco butter and oil. I never comb, brush, or wash the length. The less I mess with my curl pattern,the better off I am. HTH.

lora410
November 27th, 2008, 09:45 AM
keep doing what you are doing. I do alot of Co with my dd's curly hair and I also oil her ends. Her hair gets braided at night and on the days she wears it down detangle I put some homemade leave in before detangling. I squeeze some condish her hair likes in a spray bottle,add distilled water, shake it up, and voila instant leave in spray. Not only does it help with detangling it also keepr her ringlets moist.

Xandergrammy
November 27th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Congratulations on your newfound curls. My hair is very wurly when I first wash it, then the curls disappear after I put a comb to it. I never brush my hair, unless it's before a wash to distribute oils. Brushing makes my hair very big and bushy. My advice is to try different ways to keep your hair hydrated and let your hair be itself. :flowers:

MotherConfessor
November 27th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Welcome, it sounds like your hair could use some pampering. Try different kinds of moisturizing treatments until you find the right one for you, you might even want to throw in some protein treatment (do not over use!!!) at some point. But mostly just try all the fun different things you can learn about here. :):)

Good luck and happy curls!

marajade
November 27th, 2008, 10:15 AM
There's a book, called Curly Girl the handbook by Lorraine Massey- you should check it out. Not brushing and using lots of conditioning products and homemade leave ins help. I keep a small spraybottle in my purse of distilled water and my fav conditioner. Cutting out shampoo completely or almost is best. SMT and Caramel treatments are great too.

It sounds like you are on the right track!

Welcome!

Heidi_234
November 27th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I had my time fighting those curls, and at last we learned to live side by side at last.
Daily oilings (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71)might help alot. Coconut oil is very light, if its refined it won't even have a smell. Very great for everyday use, but other oils should be considered.
Hot oil Treatments, (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15793) using extra virgin olive oil can do wonders. I heard SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) is great as well, but I haven't tried it personally.
If you want curls, you should air dry you hair in a swirled formation. Whether it's a rope braid or a bun, anything goes. It will take longer to dry, but keeping th hair swirled around itself helps it dry in a defined curl. And it is easily maintained, just rope braid or bun your hair the same way for the night, and you keep you curls for day 2, and day 3 4 5 ... Well, you've got the idea.
And more important than that, don't touch the comb and the brush if you want curls. Curls hate combing and brushing.

coppercurls
November 27th, 2008, 04:41 PM
It looks like you are off to a good start. My curls crave moisture more than anything! Here are a few things that work well for me:

*Coconut oil-I apply lightly to my ends nearly everyday, & will do a heavy oiling or an overnight oiling every couple of weeks.
*SMT's-This is a wonderful deep treatment. When my hair was at it's worst, I did one at least once a week. I just do them now when I feel my hair needs a little moisture boost.
*Throw away your brush-wide tooth combs, picks & your fingers are your curls best styling tools.
*Mister Bottle-Play with different recipes until you find one that your hair really loves. Ingredients that my hair likes include Lavender EO, gylcerine, small amounts of lighter conditioners.

The Curly Girl Book is a great primer too. HTH:)

Curlsgirl
November 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM
HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369&highlight=wurly+thread) is a whole wurly/curly thread with LOTS of good info!!!

tabbymook
November 27th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Welcome, it sounds like your hair could use some pampering. Try different kinds of moisturizing treatments until you find the right one for you, you might even want to throw in some protein treatment (do not over use!!!) at some point. But mostly just try all the fun different things you can learn about here. :):)

Good luck and happy curls!

Thanks! -- but couldn't I just have your hair instead? It's really so beautiful, and I promise I won't treat it badly, honestly! And think about it, my hair could be a whole new 'exciting challenge' for you!

:):D

tabbymook
November 27th, 2008, 08:33 PM
There's a book, called Curly Girl the handbook by Lorraine Massey- you should check it out. Not brushing and using lots of conditioning products and homemade leave ins help. I keep a small spraybottle in my purse of distilled water and my fav conditioner. Cutting out shampoo completely or almost is best. SMT and Caramel treatments are great too.

It sounds like you are on the right track!

Welcome!

Hi Marajade,

Thanks for the advice, yes, I noticed today that my hair was okay in the morning, and then got pretty crazily frizzed out at the end of the day-- is this why you have that little bottle to carry around? Cause I would do that to avoid looking the way I looked earlier this evening when I caught sight of myself in a shop mirror!

Best wishes,

Kerry-Lee

Roseate
November 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the advice, yes, I noticed today that my hair was okay in the morning, and then got pretty crazily frizzed out at the end of the day-- is this why you have that little bottle to carry around?

I've had very good luck using this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277) recipe for defrizzing spray on my hair, when it wants to get puffy on me.

If you need another site to give you advice and eat up all your computer time, there's always naturallycurly.com (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/); they have forums discussing curly hair care and the methods from that Curly Girl book others were recommending.

Welcome to the curly side!

marajade
November 30th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Hi Marajade,

Thanks for the advice, yes, I noticed today that my hair was okay in the morning, and then got pretty crazily frizzed out at the end of the day-- is this why you have that little bottle to carry around? Cause I would do that to avoid looking the way I looked earlier this evening when I caught sight of myself in a shop mirror!

Best wishes,

Kerry-Lee

Yes, conditioner and water helps with this, you can spray it on and sort of "smooth" it through. You should do this probably at least a couple of times a day ( on bathroom breaks etc). It should help with any detangling too. You should check out Kimberlilly's detangling spray-- this is a good alternative to just plain conditioner and water.

serenitygal
November 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Try just a drop or two of a light oil. Put it on your hands, rub them together, and then slide your hands, one on top of your hair and one under, down your hair from the ears down. I've found that that helps with moisture and definition.

tabbymook
November 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM
HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369&highlight=wurly+thread) is a whole wurly/curly thread with LOTS of good info!!!

Hi there, and thanks for this thread! I just love this site so much. I'm loving the ACVs and COing so far. My hair feels so alive again! I can feel it growing! I can't tell you what a relief this is-- I've had such terrible hair for such a long while.

Best wishes
Tabbymook