PDA

View Full Version : Oily Scalp

Rain76
November 26th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first new thread. I have been trying hard to prevent breakage since joining last month, and I started washing my hair every 2 days about a week ago. To start with, my hair is baby fine, thin, and flat. On the 2nd day, it becomes an oily mess, and the only way I can wear it is in a ponytail, which I am trying to avoid because of breakage. My scalp is normally FAIRLY oily, but I have never seen it this bad on the day I don't wash it. Is my scalp rebelling, or going through an adjustment phase? I really want this to be temporary, because I don't want to HAVE to wash my hair every single day just for it to look clean. When I do wash it, I am extra gentle with it, but it is so fragile, I'm always afraid I will break off even MORE strands. Also, I have started very lightly oiling the ends of my hair when wet, but the oil doesn't go anywhere near my scalp. I appreciate any input on this subject...Thanks!

Aditi
November 26th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I guess your hairs are of oily type, that must be the reason for building up oil in scalp. To me clean scalp and hair is first step to healthy hair, so you should keep your hair clean. There are several hair washing methods on LHC suggested by the members in article section. You go through them i m sure you will find a suitable method for your hair washing

Rain76
November 27th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Thanks, Aditi:)

ChloeDharma
November 27th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Do you think you could gently use a boar bristle brush to distribute the sebum down the hair then wear it up? At your length peacock twists look lovely, or maybe a french pleat? Though those are a bit awkward i find.
I'm not sure that washing more regularly is a bad thing to be honest.....if you make sure you do it gently, dilute your shampoo, oil or apply conditioner to the length and only shampoo the scalp and don't blow dry it or if you do, keep the heat and speed low and do it gently then you probably will be ok.
Your hair looks in very good condition so far so i wouldn't get too stressed about it if i were you.
Actually you could try daily rinses with a herb infusion to mildly cleanse if you wanted too.

OhioLisa
November 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM
You say you only started washing less frequently a week ago, so I definitely think it's just a matter of adjusting. I think a lot of people experience a couple weeks or so of adjustment. Hang in there and see if it evens out. Good luck. :)

Katze
November 27th, 2008, 08:46 AM
As the owner of similar hair, I agree with OhioLisa (who has managed to grow fine hair into a beautiful mane!). With hair like ours, there's a very fine line between washing too much and washing enough.

As OhioLisa points, out, you are new at trying to stretch your washes, right? So your scalp might be adjusting. This phase took me a few weeks, if I recall correctly.

And Aditi, her HAIR isn't oily. Hair is dead - so it's her scalp that's causing the problem. Yes, she needs to get her hair clean, but with fine, fragile hair, she needs to consider other factors.

Also, at your length, washing every day is definitely going to contribute to your hair feeling dry. Do you use conditioner? A light, non-silicone conditioner on the ENDS only (from the ears down) will help protect and moisturize your fragile length.

However, healthy hair - even fine hair - shouldn't be breaking. If your hair is damaged, you need to do more deep moisturizing treatments. Be warned that oiling might be too much for your hair - after several years of trying oils, I still haven't gotten it "right" - my fine hair gets weighed down and hangs in "bacon strips" all too easily.

If your hair is damaged (heat, color, wear and tear) you might want to consider what I did, which was not only stretching washes, but doing an SMT (Snowy's Moisture Treatment, look in the "Henna and Herbal Haircare" section) after EVERY wash. For my fragile, fine, dry hair this really helped a lot. The bonus is that honey is antibacterial, so if you're having scalp itching, buildup, flakes, etc it really helps soothe that.

Feel free to PM me; I have spent years trying to deal with similar issues, and perhaps can give you some extra insight.

Katze

Rain76
November 27th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Do you think you could gently use a boar bristle brush to distribute the sebum down the hair then wear it up? At your length peacock twists look lovely, or maybe a french pleat? Though those are a bit awkward i find.
I'm not sure that washing more regularly is a bad thing to be honest.....if you make sure you do it gently, dilute your shampoo, oil or apply conditioner to the length and only shampoo the scalp and don't blow dry it or if you do, keep the heat and speed low and do it gently then you probably will be ok.
Your hair looks in very good condition so far so i wouldn't get too stressed about it if i were you.
Actually you could try daily rinses with a herb infusion to mildly cleanse if you wanted too.

Thanks for your reply! I did go through a phase where I brushed it at night, but soon realized brushing is not for me. I definitely only wash my scalp & use conditioner on the ends (from ears down) & I never blow dry. Thanks for the compliment. It is in decent condition, I would say, but I am always concerned about breakage & preventing it.

Rain76
November 27th, 2008, 09:01 AM
You say you only started washing less frequently a week ago, so I definitely think it's just a matter of adjusting. I think a lot of people experience a couple weeks or so of adjustment. Hang in there and see if it evens out. Good luck. :)

Thanks for the advice, Lisa!

AnneAdeline
November 27th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I've had an oily scalp as long as I can remember. Over that past year, I've managed to stretch my washes out to once a week. Granted, those last couple days I must wear it up. It'll take some time for your scalp to realize it doesn't have to compensate for the oils being washed off every day. This adjustment period is a great time to learn new updos, though. Good luck!

Kirin
November 27th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I have hair just like yours, and it is extremely oily. I've been at LHC for quite a while, and I can tell you in my case, there was NO method that stopped or slowed down oil production. Do not be terribly disappointed if you find the "rebelling scalp adjusting to less washing" becomes for you an unattainable myth. Contrary to the popular suggestion, there are some of us with whom washing, not washing (for great lengths of time), preening, brushing, and all the goodly suggestions don't put one dent into oil production.

For some people who have reactions to sulphates, fragrances and product, and that is the reason for their oil production, these methods work. But sadly, results vary for every individual. Please by all means try the reduction method, as that could be the case for you of hyper oil production due to irritation..... however don't be discouraged if no matter what you do, it doesn't work.

How much oil your skin produces naturally including the scalp is individual......... and having fine, fragile, limp, greasy dirty looking hair is not the price you have to pay to grow your hair long.

Frankly, in my humble opinion, feeling dirty, unkempt, or unpresentable and lowering your self image to attain long hair is not in my estimation doing anyone any good.

In other words, no matter how long your hair grows, if you hate it, it doesn't look or feel good to you, you will likely get sick of it fast...... long hair should be a glory, not a self image burden.

If you find you MUST wash to have some kind of volume and feeling of cleanliness, do not feel you are somehow "cheating" or "doing bad things" ...... thats poppycock. Here are some of the things I have found that now work for me, and my hair is growing quite well and undamaged. If stretching out washes does not work for you, they are some alternatives you can try.

Wash every other day with dilluted shampoo, dillute at least 50/50 with water at first, starting with a gentle shampoo. If you still get TONS of foam, dillute it more to your liking. Condition as you do now, from the ears down.

Alternate days, Conditioner only wash with a light conditioner (suave, v05, LaBella), Use an egg size amount (i.e. a whole LOT) and work that into your scalp gently to cleanse away oil. Work it in gently..... and leave it on for the rest of your shower, then rinse really really well...... twice as long as you would normally rinse, trying to get a rinse of cool water for the finish.

This is what works for me, and after a time doing this, I have found I can wash twice a week instead of every other day, conditioner washing on the "off" no shampoo days.

marajade
November 27th, 2008, 10:27 AM
It takes a few weeks for your scalp to adjust. I feel your pain. Updos help and if it bugs you that bad you can use cornstarch to soak up the excess oil.

Rain76
November 27th, 2008, 04:48 PM
As the owner of similar hair, I agree with OhioLisa (who has managed to grow fine hair into a beautiful mane!). With hair like ours, there's a very fine line between washing too much and washing enough.

As OhioLisa points, out, you are new at trying to stretch your washes, right? So your scalp might be adjusting. This phase took me a few weeks, if I recall correctly.

And Aditi, her HAIR isn't oily. Hair is dead - so it's her scalp that's causing the problem. Yes, she needs to get her hair clean, but with fine, fragile hair, she needs to consider other factors.

Also, at your length, washing every day is definitely going to contribute to your hair feeling dry. Do you use conditioner? A light, non-silicone conditioner on the ENDS only (from the ears down) will help protect and moisturize your fragile length.

However, healthy hair - even fine hair - shouldn't be breaking. If your hair is damaged, you need to do more deep moisturizing treatments. Be warned that oiling might be too much for your hair - after several years of trying oils, I still haven't gotten it "right" - my fine hair gets weighed down and hangs in "bacon strips" all too easily.

If your hair is damaged (heat, color, wear and tear) you might want to consider what I did, which was not only stretching washes, but doing an SMT (Snowy's Moisture Treatment, look in the "Henna and Herbal Haircare" section) after EVERY wash. For my fragile, fine, dry hair this really helped a lot. The bonus is that honey is antibacterial, so if you're having scalp itching, buildup, flakes, etc it really helps soothe that.

Feel free to PM me; I have spent years trying to deal with similar issues, and perhaps can give you some extra insight.

Katze

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I have been wanting to try the SMT treatment. I have also been wanting to try the catnip rinses mentioned on here for preventing breakage.

Rain76
November 27th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I have hair just like yours, and it is extremely oily. I've been at LHC for quite a while, and I can tell you in my case, there was NO method that stopped or slowed down oil production. Do not be terribly disappointed if you find the "rebelling scalp adjusting to less washing" becomes for you an unattainable myth. Contrary to the popular suggestion, there are some of us with whom washing, not washing (for great lengths of time), preening, brushing, and all the goodly suggestions don't put one dent into oil production.

For some people who have reactions to sulphates, fragrances and product, and that is the reason for their oil production, these methods work. But sadly, results vary for every individual. Please by all means try the reduction method, as that could be the case for you of hyper oil production due to irritation..... however don't be discouraged if no matter what you do, it doesn't work.

How much oil your skin produces naturally including the scalp is individual......... and having fine, fragile, limp, greasy dirty looking hair is not the price you have to pay to grow your hair long.

Frankly, in my humble opinion, feeling dirty, unkempt, or unpresentable and lowering your self image to attain long hair is not in my estimation doing anyone any good.

In other words, no matter how long your hair grows, if you hate it, it doesn't look or feel good to you, you will likely get sick of it fast...... long hair should be a glory, not a self image burden.

If you find you MUST wash to have some kind of volume and feeling of cleanliness, do not feel you are somehow "cheating" or "doing bad things" ...... thats poppycock. Here are some of the things I have found that now work for me, and my hair is growing quite well and undamaged. If stretching out washes does not work for you, they are some alternatives you can try.

Wash every other day with dilluted shampoo, dillute at least 50/50 with water at first, starting with a gentle shampoo. If you still get TONS of foam, dillute it more to your liking. Condition as you do now, from the ears down.

Alternate days, Conditioner only wash with a light conditioner (suave, v05, LaBella), Use an egg size amount (i.e. a whole LOT) and work that into your scalp gently to cleanse away oil. Work it in gently..... and leave it on for the rest of your shower, then rinse really really well...... twice as long as you would normally rinse, trying to get a rinse of cool water for the finish.

This is what works for me, and after a time doing this, I have found I can wash twice a week instead of every other day, conditioner washing on the "off" no shampoo days.
I really appreciate your insight & advice! Thank you so much:) I think I am going to "stick it out" for a bit longer, and if it is still a problem, I will try what you suggested. I may also alternate the conditioner with SMT & catnip rinses. I agree, nobody should walk around with dirty hair!

Kirin
November 27th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I really appreciate your insight & advice! Thank you so much:) I think I am going to "stick it out" for a bit longer, and if it is still a problem, I will try what you suggested. I may also alternate the conditioner with SMT & catnip rinses. I agree, nobody should walk around with dirty hair!

Yes, do try stretching out first and see if that calms your scalp down. It may be an allergic reaction, or a sensitivity. If not, you may be one of us where oil production is just high........ er, forever!

Everyone thinks of themselves in their own light, for some not washing for long times is fine, they may have scalp oil, but it does not bother them, nor does it show up for them. For others, just "knowing" their hair is oily can give them a bad or "yucky" feeling of self worth. Its all about personal prefrence and comfort.