PDA

View Full Version : What if I look better with hair framing my face?

windblown
November 26th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I've thought about this quite a bit. I really love my long hair, but I also think I look better with it down and falling about my face & shoulders. I think my face looks too square and severe with my hair pulled back. However, I know that my hair is better protected (especially in the MN winter) in a braid or a bun, pulled away from my face. Do any of the rest of you feel this way? And how do you wear your hair then?

1nuitblanche
November 26th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Bangs and some layers around your face, possibly even going down to shoulder length at the front could give you a softer look while letting you keep your long hair.

spidermom
November 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I got some face-framing fringe and like it a lot, although I am doing one year of no cut, so it's growing out.

Oskimosa
November 26th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Face-framing stuff gives you the best of both worlds. If you don't like the "nakedness" you can feel with all your hair pulled back, it can make you more comfortable with fringe around your facial features as if you had shorter hair. And when it's down, trimming it up around the face can make your hair look longer, too.

At any rate, those are some of the reasons I like face-framing layers :) My hair is also too thick and heavy not to.

Vitalai
November 26th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I have bangs and face-framing layers. They flatter my face better.

Since you've been thinking about this for awhile now, I say go for it. :)

wintersun99
November 26th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Themyst
November 26th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I don't have a square face shape but I do look very different (for the worse) with my hair pulled back. DH is a typical man (sorry for the stereotype men) and he doesn't usually care what I do about all my 'woman' stuff but even he has made librarian and old lady comments when I have my hair up. He prefers it down. But it gets so in the way sometimes ...

I have thought about the face framing for this reason, too. That way I could wear it up for convenience and also have my face framed with the longer fringe.

HOWEVER, I would be extremely careful about this. I have read that some members here have never had a bad experience at the beauty shop, but I HAVE. I would just think very carefully about this and do research for a good hairdresser if you don't already have one. I think a cut like this (while preserving your length in the back) is a difficult cut for a beautician who does not understand how valuable your hair is to you.

Lady Lilya
November 26th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I look better with hair framing my face. I have curly hair, and I let it be a bit loose and poofy around my face, and generally wear the end of it in an up-do.

I also get the librarian and old lady comments if I brush my hair smooth along the head when doing the up-do.

Nevermore
November 26th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I would seriously suggest taking sections on either side of your face and curling them and leaving them down when the rest of your hair is up. That way, you can keep your hair as is, but have something interesting/romantic on the sides of your face.

Also, if you do get face framing layers, perhaps when you go to the salon (if you do, doing it yourself is possible), leave only the bits you want cut down while the cutting is in progress. If you put everything else up and out of the way of any danger, you're well, limiting the danger to the rest of your beautiful hair.

crystal_89
November 26th, 2008, 11:23 PM
maybe you should start with some longer face framing layers to start with, maybe starting at shoulder length and if you don't like it they'll still be long enough to put back in updos. Or, if you think the layers aren't short enough cut more in back to chin or shorter.

Katze
November 27th, 2008, 01:17 AM
many of us do look better that way!

Honestly, I try to wear my hair down when it's looking good. The point of hair is to enjoy it, after all. But with the weather we've been having (snow, wind, drizzle, cold), and the fact that I bike everywhere, it gets caught in my zipper so easily, despite me putting it out of the way, so I end up just putting it up more. I can't do very many updos, so I twist it up and clip it with a Ficcare. If I'm feeling lucky, I take it down when I get to where I am going. If I don't want to hassle with trying to make it look good, or if it's day 2+ after a wash, I leave it up.

Layers are OK, but I am finding that since my ends are so thin, I wish I didn't have them. My hair falls out of updos anyway - what many people here might call a soft, romantic look, but what, on me, looks more unkempt and un-cared for.

Another more flattering idea is to pull the front hair straight back, and to do your updo (whatever it is) higher on your head. This visually "pulls" your features up and gives lift.

zift
November 27th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Yes I think I look better with my hair down too so I wear it down. IAfter spending so many time at LHC I was kind of feeling a pressure to wear it up because otherwise it would tangle or break or split or yada yada but I just broke my chains and don't give a damn what I should do *lol* My scalp and my psychology needs my hair down so it's staying down:smirk:

bjt
November 27th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Its easier for me to wear my hair up, but I do look better with it down or something framing my face. I don't want full layers in my hair, but I recently cut just a few whispy fringe around my face. I seem to have a cow-lick right where mybangs would go, so I can't have full bangs, but using this video that Aicha sent me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGP3Ct1US94 , I cut just a whispy few cheekbone-length bangs/fringe and then a few from the sides of my head, and it really helps soften the look of an up-do. Its also not so much that I couldn't grow it out if I wanted to very easily, or brush it into the rest of my hair and its barely noticeable. It was a good step to try out a different look.
I highly recommend the video. Its good and clear!

helen2806
November 27th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I don't really suit having nothing round my face, so I usually go for a really long sweeping fringe then a few layers too. Or just a side parting seems to look better anyway

Amoretti
November 27th, 2008, 03:17 PM
This morning I cut bangs and face framing layers in because I was tired of the mean lady look. LOL.

People at work noticed right away and everybody agreed I look a lot better. Go for it. :)

Arctic
November 27th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I don't like having hair on my face. I have had fringe on and off, and am now growing it out once again, I can't wait for it to stay securely in updos :laugh: What I do like though is having long locks of hair in front of the ears left out of the updo/braid, but even those start to irritate me sooner or later during the day. Apparently having hair tightly back suits my face because I have had many positive comments then during the years :shrug: lol!

Lately I have been trying to get used to more soft looking updos, where I don't pull my hair too tightly back. It gives me complitely different look. On others I do like face framing layers, yes!

Tangles
November 27th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I have wispy face framing layers. They are awesome because I can brush them back or leave them out of my updos. One of my favorite styles is a peacock twist with the layers left around my face. If I do it right it almost looks like the front of a chin length bob.

bettybaker
November 28th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I've been wondering about this myself; my face looks far prettier when it's framed by my hair. I liked what Nevermore said about having sections of the hair loose around the face with the rest of it up, but I don't know if I have the courage or panache to pull that off.

I think the way I'm going to work around this is to learn how to wear it up comfortably at night, maybe oiled, and let my hair be loose during the days when folks are going to see me.

cosmicboogie
November 28th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I'm with you on the MN winter for sure, it's super hard on exposed anything. I'm a big fan of bangs, but I don't necessarily like having loose pieces around my face that are longer than ear length. I get lucky, most of my updos start to fall apart after a few hours and the looseness(?) looks rather nice. That helps the mean librarian look, for sure. I'm prone to it as well(teutonic features and all that fun stuff).