PDA

View Full Version : Kick a Ginger Day, what??

terriej
November 26th, 2008, 06:02 PM
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=ac06eaac-1cb1-4ee7-8e17-a9b8b314af71

I just came across this article about "kick a ginger day" and, seriously at first I thought it was joke. I can't believe this really happened. I feel bad for those red headed kids. Sad.

If somebody had ever kicked me though, I'd be swinging.

Elainehali
November 26th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Are they testing the red-head temper sterio type?

Jessikinz
November 26th, 2008, 06:13 PM
There was one that said hug a ginger day, I think it was a facebook group? Which I think is a much better thing to do than to kick a ginger. :bluebiggr

Tangles
November 26th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Aww, so sad! :( Especially because it could be a small leap from this to something more insidious.

Katahdin
November 26th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Wow. That's terrible. I lived in Nanaimo for a while, too, but that never happened to me, thank goodness.

spidermom
November 26th, 2008, 06:16 PM
How offensive! Really. The nerve of some people.

MandaMom2Three
November 26th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I was thoroughly disgusted when I saw it on the news :(

Lamb
November 26th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Goes to show why kids' tv and internet time should be limited and strictly supervised. Did you read that line quoted from South Park? About "gingers have no souls"?
This is disgusting. :puke:

Oberon88
November 26th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I can't believe kids are actually influenced by something like that. This is ridiculous and disgusting.

Copasetic
November 26th, 2008, 07:51 PM
i heard about this. anyone who actually listens to south park characters is sad.

MandaMom2Three
November 26th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Everyone thinks we're nuts for the limits we put on tv etc. in our home, but there you go :shrug:

Kleis
November 26th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Do redheaded kids have to start carrying pepper spray now? Sheesh!

cuddledumplin
November 26th, 2008, 08:30 PM
The depths of human stupidity never fail to astound me.

DecafJane
November 26th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Sick. Just sick. :(

ChloeDharma
November 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I thought the anti-ginger thing was a Brit problem, i never realised it was an issue over the pond. Unfortunatly any redhead i'm sure will tell you that in school it's seen as a really ugly thing. Ginger kids are possibly the most bullied so if i had seen that about a UK school i'd not have been at all surprised.
It's all just far too depressing :(

MandaMom2Three
November 26th, 2008, 08:46 PM
That's stupid!!!! Red hair is beautiful!!!! :taz:

Juneii
November 26th, 2008, 09:44 PM
what can I say? the kids want to feel important - just like slavery in the 1800s. Annoying and frustrating as it is, we all find ourselves ostracizing the minority who are different from us, silently or publicly like the teens at Nanaimo.
it's not right at all, but in a way it makes sense why the kids thought it was okay to do it.

chrissy-b
November 26th, 2008, 09:56 PM
What, these gingers can't kick back?

I was bullied when I was younger and I never put up with it. Even when it was bigger boys that were teasing or harassing me, pulling my hair, stealing my shoes, etc. They just didn't get away with it. I had a boy one time pull my hair really hard and he ended up face down in the dirt. Needless to say, he never touched my hair again.

Maybe not the right advice, but anyone who is stupid enough to follow South Park and kick kids obviously wouldn't be that good with things like reason and discussion.

RavennaNight
November 26th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Thats so sad and disgusting. Why would someone come up with this!? Because of a hair color!? I know redheads are becoming rarer and rarer because of genetics. The gene that causes red hair is being bred out of people. I can't help but think it's fueled by jealousy!

Pegasus Marsters
November 26th, 2008, 11:45 PM

I was bullied when I was younger and I never put up with it. Even when it was bigger boys that were teasing or harassing me, pulling my hair, stealing my shoes, etc. They just didn't get away with it. I had a boy one time pull my hair really hard and he ended up face down in the dirt. Needless to say, he never touched my hair again.

Maybe not the right advice, but anyone who is stupid enough to follow South Park and kick kids obviously wouldn't be that good with things like reason and discussion.

Yeah, it is possible to kick back. Guess what.... second the bullied kid retaliates they're the one who gets the blame and it's all on the head of the bullies. :rolleyes: I speak from experience. Apparently my snapping and calling someone a "Stupid f-ing wh*re" is equally as bad as her chasing me, slamming me into walls and desks, and pushing me down the stairs.

I think the whole south park thing is just bizarre and weird. But then, there are kids who thought it was smart to play in the sewers when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was popular. :rolleyes: Unfortunately kids just don't seem to be able to separate fantasy from reality.

invisiblebabe
November 26th, 2008, 11:51 PM
That's stupid!!!! Red hair is beautiful!!!! :taz:

My thoughts exactly!

chrissy-b
November 27th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Yeah, it is possible to kick back. Guess what.... second the bullied kid retaliates they're the one who gets the blame and it's all on the head of the bullies. :rolleyes: I speak from experience. Apparently my snapping and calling someone a "Stupid f-ing wh*re" is equally as bad as her chasing me, slamming me into walls and desks, and pushing me down the stairs.

I think the whole south park thing is just bizarre and weird. But then, there are kids who thought it was smart to play in the sewers when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was popular. :rolleyes: Unfortunately kids just don't seem to be able to separate fantasy from reality.

That sucks that happened to you. And I suppose (if you get caught) you get the blame, but in my experience, getting in trouble isn't that big of a deal if standing up for yourself makes the bully leave you alone.

And I'm not so sure it's separating fantasy from reality that's the problem. I truly believe that if it wasn't South Park, these kids would find some other excuse to mistreat those they see as different, or weird, or whatever. It's in their DNA to be jerkfaces. Just my :twocents:

Pegasus Marsters
November 27th, 2008, 12:36 AM
That sucks that happened to you. And I suppose (if you get caught) you get the blame, but in my experience, getting in trouble isn't that big of a deal if standing up for yourself makes the bully leave you alone.

And I'm not so sure it's separating fantasy from reality that's the problem. I truly believe that if it wasn't South Park, these kids would find some other excuse to mistreat those they see as different, or weird, or whatever. It's in their DNA to be jerkfaces. Just my :twocents:

It's hard to not get caught when you're being beaten up in the middle of class. :rolleyes:

People always find an excuse to mistreat others. Not just kids, but adults too.

ChloeDharma
November 27th, 2008, 02:07 AM
It's hard to not get caught when you're being beaten up in the middle of class. :rolleyes:

People always find an excuse to mistreat others. Not just kids, but adults too.

When i was at school i was in a maths class one day, the teacher left the room and this kid started on me, twice my size he was and used me as a punchbag....literally, flying kicks the lot. When the teacher came back in a girl told him what had happened, i was the one looking battered and this lad predictably never had a mark on him. The teacher pulled me up in front of everyone and had a go at me for obviously winding the lad up to make him do it.
School days the best days of your life? Definately not for some of us.

sahiba
November 27th, 2008, 02:26 AM
i heard about this. anyone who actually listens to south park characters is sad.

Sad ..I would say mad. How sick.

Bene
November 27th, 2008, 02:29 AM
i snickered :shrug: schadenfreude anyone?

Hypnotica
November 27th, 2008, 02:43 AM
From Wikipedia:

"Prejudice/Discrimination towards redheads

Red hair was thought to be a mark of a beastly sexual desire and moral degeneration. A savage red-haired man is portrayed in the fable by Grimm brothers (Der Eisenhans) as the spirit of the forest of iron. Theophilus Presbyter describes how the blood of a red-haired young man is necessary to create gold from copper, in a mixture with the ashes of a basilisk.[46]

Montague Summers, in his translation of the Malleus Maleficarum,[47] notes that red hair and green eyes were thought to be the sign of a witch, a werewolf or a vampire during the Middle Ages;“ Those whose hair is red, of a certain peculiar shade, are unmistakably vampires. It is significant that in ancient Egypt, as Manetho tells us, human sacrifices were offered at the grave of Osiris, and the victims were red-haired men who were burned, their ashes being scattered far and wide by winnowing-fans. It is held by some authorities that this was done to fertilize the fields and produce a bounteous harvest, red-hair symbolizing the golden wealth of the corn. But these men were called Typhonians, and were representatives not of Osiris but of his evil rival Typhon, whose hair was red. ”

In modern-day UK, despite (or because of) being one of the places with the highest populations of redheads, the words "ginger" or "ginga" are sometimes derogatorily used to describe red-headed people, with terms such as "gingerphobia" (fear of redheads)[48] or "gingerism" (prejudice against redheads)[49] used by the media. Redheads are also sometimes referred to disparagingly as "carrot tops" and "carrot heads". "Gingerism" has been compared to racism, although this is widely disputed and bodies such as the UK Commission for Racial Equality do not monitor cases of discrimination and hate crimes against redheads.[49]A UK woman recently won an award from a tribunal after being sexually harassed and receiving abuse because of her red hair[50]; a family in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, was forced to move twice after being targeted for abuse and hate crime on account of their red hair;[51] and in 2003, a 20 year old was stabbed in the back for "being ginger."[52]"

MermaidGirl
November 27th, 2008, 02:46 AM

Chrissy-b, you rock! Good for you for standing up for yourself! I don't advocate violence, but sometimes when you are being victimized and there is no one with any "authority" around to protect you (or there is and they simply won't bother to assist you), you have to take matters into your own hands. Unfortunately for some folks, they either can't protect themselves because they don't know how, lack the strength or skill or they go straight into fear and "deer in the headlights" mode and freeze in the face of aggression. Frankly, I would love to hear reports of ginger kids kicking back; it truly would serve right the idiots who abused them.

Unofficial_Rose
November 27th, 2008, 02:48 AM
This unpleasantness towards ginger people seems to be a relatively recent thing in the UK. I don't remember it being mentioned in the 70's, 80's and first half of the 90's.

As another poster said, people will always find some excuse to treat other people badly. I guess it is a "Pull someone down so you feel elevated" thing. Pathetic, really.

Ahem. If we can hug gingers bagsy me Josh Homme :inlove:

Comfrey
November 27th, 2008, 03:08 AM
This unpleasantness towards ginger people seems to be a relatively recent thing in the UK. I don't remember it being mentioned in the 70's, 80's and first half of the 90's.

Really? I dont remember it too much because I didnt live in Britain until I was 13 and by that time people were more interested in bullying me because of my height (or lack thereof) than they were about my hair

But as an amusing aside, when I met my husband more than 20 years ago, I remember sitting having a drink with a couple of his and them exclaiming at how feisty I was. (now theres a surprise ;))

My husband replied "Ah yes, but at least she isnt a red head" ............... he's colour blind :lol:

Finoriel
November 27th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Honestly I do not think this is new at all.
Just that it previously was not just a special day children or even adults tried to bully redheads at school, at work or wherever. Or overweight or thinner, taller, smaller, big nosed, big eared, glasses wearing etc. people. This phenomenon takes place daily since years, decades and centuries.
If you do not look like all others do, itīs the chance for people to pick on you.
:shrug:
Sad, but nothing new at all.
At least not for someone who has red hair and green eyes and had glasses in kindergarten and early school days :lol:

Itīs interesting though, that the latest "kick a ginger day" is from southpark. Another reason to find the show very hmm unfunny :rolleyes: . When no one getīs the point of their pretended social criticism in the cartoons, then maybe - just maybe of course :wink: - itīs not really there in reality and itīs just a way to spread odd thoughts for the amusement of the masses. Maybe.

Comfrey
November 27th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Montague Summers, in his translation of the Malleus Maleficarum,[47] notes that red hair and green eyes were thought to be the sign of a witch, a werewolf or a vampire during the Middle Ages;“ Those whose hair is red, of a certain peculiar shade, are unmistakably vampires. It is significant that in ancient Egypt, as Manetho tells us, human sacrifices were offered at the grave of Osiris, and the victims were red-haired men who were burned, their ashes being scattered far and wide by winnowing-fans. It is held by some authorities that this was done to fertilize the fields and produce a bounteous harvest, red-hair symbolizing the golden wealth of the corn. But these men were called Typhonians, and were representatives not of Osiris but of his evil rival Typhon, whose hair was red. ”
The malleus maleficarum is responsible for a good deal of the sexist abuse women in general have suffered over the centuries. We are said to be weak willed and easily seduced by the devil. It could be argued that it is almost soley responsible for the witch trials.

It isn't called "The Hammer of Witches" for nothing

ChloeDharma
November 27th, 2008, 03:28 AM
The malleus maleficarum is responsible for a good deal of the sexist abuse women in general have suffered over the centuries. We are said to be weak willed and easily seduced by the devil. It could be argued that it is almost soley responsible for the witch trials.

It isn't called "The Hammer of Witches" for nothing

It was written as a guide for witch hunters wasn't it, so no surprise it's a misogynystic load of tripe.

Growing up in the 80's i very much remember alot of anti-ginger sentiment and if anything it seemed even stronger back then, My sister in law was particularly nasty about anyone being ginger.....she then went on to have a ginger child.....no surprise he grew up with a complex about it.

xAllThatHairx
November 27th, 2008, 03:36 AM
The media never stops its' corruption.:mad:

Sarahmoon
November 27th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I read this thread title and my first thought was kick http://www.foodsnherbs.com/ginger.JPG :?

florenonite
November 27th, 2008, 04:27 AM
*digs around for soap box*

The problem is not with South Park, it's with the parents who are thick enough to allow their children to watch it. If you watch five minutes of it it becomes clear that it is not a children's show, both in its humour and social criticism. I started watching it a few months ago, and was shocked because I remember kids in my class in grade five talking about it. I cannot fathom why parents would let their children watch it if they clearly aren't mature enough to realise that Cartman is an AP, all the other characters (except his mum) hate him, and he's not someone you want to emulate. Just because the show features children does not mean it is aimed at children.

*chucks soap box away*

Pegasus Marsters
November 27th, 2008, 04:45 AM
*digs around for soap box*

The problem is not with South Park, it's with the parents who are thick enough to allow their children to watch it. If you watch five minutes of it it becomes clear that it is not a children's show, both in its humour and social criticism. I started watching it a few months ago, and was shocked because I remember kids in my class in grade five talking about it. I cannot fathom why parents would let their children watch it if they clearly aren't mature enough to realise that Cartman is an AP, all the other characters (except his mum) hate him, and he's not someone you want to emulate. Just because the show features children does not mean it is aimed at children.

*chucks soap box away*

Well said!

Years ago I had a friend who was allowed to watch South Park but had an Eminem CD confiscated because it had explicit lyrics. I had to wonder if her parents had paid any attention to South Park at all. I'd rather a kid heard the F-bomb a few times than watch that show.

That said, does anyone remember the Chocolate Salty Balls controversy? The only reason any of my friends found out about it or realised the meaning of it was because all the parents were freaking out. It's like the song Relax... no kid knows that the lyrics are dirty till you start complaining about them. :rolleyes:

Loviatar
November 27th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I find South Park funny, but it is not suitable for children.

My partner is ginger and proud, and I am a wannabe ginger (henna). I would be very very happy with redheaded children :D

However the 'Kick a Ginger Day' is not mentioned in South Park from what I remember. The 'joke' in SP is that 'gingers have no souls'. Which is equally stupid, for the record. But there is no mention of kicking them in the shins.

People, not a silly TV show which is not meant for children in the first place, are to blame for this, just plain stupid and mean people, who get their kicks (sic) from hurting others. The children who took part in the kicking and bullying (because that is what it is, plain and simple bullying) should be disciplined by their teachers - put them in detention, send them to the principal, make them apologise in assembly, send a letter home - whatever is done these days in schools for punishment. The behaviour happened at school and thus the teachers (who do get too much criticism from people, I have to say - teachers are not the child's parents and so do not have complete responsibility) need to state that they are in charge of the child at school as an authority figure. Bullying should not be tolerated, whether it's a white kid bullying a black child, a blonde bullying a ginger or an Asian kid picking on a fat kid. Zero tolerance.

The blame for this cannot be laid at the feet of Facebook's 'anti-ginger group', nor at SP or its writers. It is the work of a bunch of mean spirited jerks who think picking on other children is funny. There will always be a$$hats in this world. People have picked on redheads/gingers for a long time - they are just another minority. I remember the first time I heard the phrase 'I'll beat you like a redheaded stepchild' and thought it was terrible. The UK is awful for its ginger-bashing (mostly verbal although I do recall a newspaper story about a man in his 20s who was stabbed for 'being a ginger' - what is the world coming to?)

Sadly ginger 'jokes'/comments will probably never be stopped. People will not label blonde jokes as 'hate crime'. They are accepted by the general public, although they are just as bad as making jokes about black or Asian people. But if a group of kids at a school ganged up on all the blonde children - or all the black children, or Asian children - and beat them so badly they had welts, as in the case of Aaron Mishkin (the 'ginger kid' in the newspaper story) then it becomes a serious issue and then yes, it is hate crime. Kicking is assault. And that is a big step too far from a joke about someone's hair colour.

Maybe I'm biased. I hate the thought of anything like this happening to my partner, or to the kids I might have in the future (who might be redheads).

Ooo I didnt mean to make such a long post. Sorry :cookie:

florenonite
November 27th, 2008, 06:45 AM
On the topic of South Park and how I don't think it's at fault, the character who says gingers have no souls is really doing it because he has a 'friend' (I don't know why this kid hangs out with him, because the guy clearly hates him) who is Jewish, and makes fun of him for that. The show sympathises with Kyle, the Jewish ginger kid, rather than with Cartman, the bully. Therefore the show isn't promoting a "kick a ginger day" or any such thing.

I agree with Loviatar that Facebook shouldn't be blamed. There are millions of members on Facebook, and thousands of groups, most of which are there for innocent enough reasons. It would be impossible to police them all and to ascertain whether or not ones such as "kick a ginger" are jokes in poor taste or actual intentions of people. It's the parents who don't discipline their children, and the children themselves, who should be blamed. In addition, the school should punish those responsible, rather than blaming Facebook. These were not young children, but teenagers, and at that age they are old enough that their actions should not be excused (I'd argue that a much younger child who kicked someone for their appearance, sex, etc. should be punished, too), and the school should make it clear that such prejudiced behaviour will not be tolerated. If they blame Facebook, the kids will think "oh, great, we didn't get into trouble for it, let's make another Facebook group saying 'kick a Jew' or something and then Facebook will get in trouble and we won't!" and it will continue.

redhead_rachel
November 27th, 2008, 06:47 AM
that is sick.
When are people going to realise that inciting abuse towards redheads is as much hate crime as inciting abuse towards people becuase of their skin colour is (I'm not trying to play down racism here, which I think is disgusting and completly unacceptable).
Inciting abuse towards any group of people, or individual that 'belongs' to thatt group, that share a common attribute; their collective skin colour, race, sexual orientation etc, including hair colour is hate crime, plain and simple and it needs to stop.

/rant.

Boudicca
November 27th, 2008, 07:32 AM
)
Sadly ginger 'jokes'/comments will probably never be stopped. People will not label blonde jokes as 'hate crime'. They are accepted by the general public, although they are just as bad as making jokes about black or Asian people. But if a group of kids at a school ganged up on all the blonde children - or all the black children, or Asian children - and beat them so badly they had welts, as in the case of Aaron Mishkin (the 'ginger kid' in the newspaper story) then it becomes a serious issue and then yes, it is hate crime. Kicking is assault. And that is a big step too far from a joke about someone's hair colour.

There are potential grounds to call it a hate crime in the UK. Much of the teasing there has its roots in the facts that Celts tended to have red hair, so mockery of redheads was a roundabout way of mocking Scots and Irish people.

Even if you discount the racial element, it's still rather worrying. I recall reading about a psychology experiment conducted at a primary school at the lowest grades (ages 4,5 & 6). The techer was instructed to tell the students that blue-eyed children were 'better' than brown-eyed children. Nothing too heavy, just the odd comment. Sure enough, the children quickly began to segregate themselves, with the blue-eyed children picking on and refusing to associate with the brown-eyed children. It just shows, no matter how banal the prejudice seems, it should not be tolerated. It also, rather scarily, shows how easy it is for one group to dehumanise another.

Demetrue
November 27th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Horrible - this is inciting hatred and physical assault and battery against innocent, unsuspecting children. The younger child in the article was surrounded by older teenagers who physically assaulted him. It's a wonder that some child did not end up on the floor being kicked to death. This is no different than national abuse your girlfriend day, or national punch someone with glasses day, or national assault an elderly person day - sickening.

MandaMom2Three
November 27th, 2008, 08:19 AM
We are said to be weak willed

HA! Henna gave me redder hair, but I've ALWAYS had very strong natural red highlights. My will is anything but weak! I'm stubborn and...well....hubby says it didn't matter if I was born platinum blond, I'm a fiery red head :D (I don't find that stereotype offensive personally, I freely admit there's fire there :D ) He says the henna suits me quite well :D

JessTheMess
November 27th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Those poor kids!! What a terrible thing to do!

MandaMom2Three
November 27th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Oh yeah, and on the jealousy thing, TOTALLY!!! I've always admired the naturally red hair of others!! TGFH (Thank goodness for henna :p )

naomimcc
November 27th, 2008, 09:02 AM
So sad.

On a similar note there's a FB group entitled "National Grab an Ass Day" as well. I told my son if he participated in such an event...it would be "Kick An Ass" day when he got home.

It's amazing how teens will follow these 'groups'. It's worldwide peer pressure.

Ms Monnie
November 27th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Prejudice against redheads will always sting me at the core. No one seems to care whatsoever. I know that we haven't had a history of hardships, and as white people (literally white :p) we're seen as relatively privileged on the social scale, but the fact is - it's abuse based on appearance and it's just not ****ing right.

I've been so spoiled hanging out at LHC where red hair is so prized. I almost feel as though I get reversed discrimination here. I get a little bit jolted out of my little happy place when someone who doesn't know me calls me names on the street.

Drynwhyl
November 27th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I'd make it in a hug-a-ginger day. I'm in love with ginger people :D

redhead_rachel
November 27th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I've been so spoiled hanging out at LHC where red hair is so prized. I almost feel as though I get reversed discrimination here. I get a little bit jolted out of my little happy place when someone who doesn't know me calls me names on the street.

Me too, the LHC is my refuge from the world that yells abuse at me on the street. I've had it for 15 years, it's become kinda common-place. I just wish that people, known or strangers would just think at realise just how much damage their "fun" does, those comments those jibes etc. can shatter your self esteem, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but it's the names that almost killed me"
(such a true saying, from the UK beat bullying website)

Beatnik Guy
November 27th, 2008, 03:26 PM
South Park is clearly not for kids (although I guess the confusion is that it is animated); the social analysis can actually be quite sophisticated (beneath fart gags at al).

beastly sexual desire and moral degeneration.
:rockerdud

getoffmyskittle
November 27th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Prejudice against redheads will always sting me at the core. No one seems to care whatsoever. I know that we haven't had a history of hardships, and as white people (literally white :p) we're seen as relatively privileged on the social scale, but the fact is - it's abuse based on appearance and it's just not ****ing right.

That's insane. I had never heard of any kind of targeting of redheads before this thread. It's just a complete non-issue where I live. If anything, people seem to particularly like red hair, since it's so rare. It probably does go back to anti-Irish sentiment, but so much of the local population has Irish ancestry that I guess we just don't see that particular prejudice.

Lamb
November 27th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Alas, I fear it is as much antisemitism as anti-Irish sentiment. :( A lot of Jewish people, especially from the Polish and Russian diaspora, have red hair. The little boy in the article had a name that, to me, sounds Jewish, but I may be completely wrong here. At any rate, I bet there is a lot of antisemitism involved in this.

willowcandra
November 30th, 2008, 06:29 AM

As another poster said, people will always find some excuse to treat other people badly. I guess it is a "Pull someone down so you feel elevated" thing. Pathetic, really.

Ahem. If we can hug gingers bagsy me Josh Homme :inlove:

Definately existed in the 80's round my area.
I never understood it.

I happen to find several red haired men very attractive.

As for south park--It is an amazingly complex show which hilights some very important issues and hypocrisies. It is not in any way shape or form an entertainment show for kids.

willowcandra
November 30th, 2008, 06:34 AM

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would shout something unpleasent at you in the street. You are a stunner and your hair colour is perfect.
LOSERS

Red Jezebel
November 30th, 2008, 06:58 AM
When are people going to realise that inciting abuse towards redheads is as much hate crime as inciting abuse towards people becuase of their skin colour is (I'm not trying to play down racism here, which I think is disgusting and completly unacceptable).I completely agree with you, Rachel. I have often made this point to people and the reaction tends to be along the lines of "oh don't be so pathetic, suck it up".

I completely and utterly fail to comprehend how abuse I suffered as a child, and occassionally still do, due to my hair colour and my very pale skin is different and less scarring than the same abuse suffered due to racism (etc). It's the same thing, is it not? Abuse based on how someone looks that they can do nothing about, and more importantly, should do nothing about.

I remember when the BBC News website ran an article on this subject - Is gingerism as bad as racism? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6725653.stm) - the comments posted by readers were wide ranging (I got one posted too!). Worth a read, though some are by real numbskulls... :rolleyes:

MadHatter
November 30th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Since I've been hennaing my hair, I haven't encountered any red-head-haters. People have only been complimentary. I did have one guy make a silly joke about red-heads not having souls, but it was obvious that he was just trying to get a rise out of me.
But I think if I had been kicked because of my red hair, I'd implement somebody's suggestion (on the article page the OP linked to) to make it "Kick an idiot in the face day."

truepeacenik
November 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM
this ginger by birth and attitude would drop peaceful for a moment and kick some a**.

eta after reading thru the thread:
Lamb, Aaron Mishkin, no question he's Jewish descent. Looks like one of the cutie young kids in my synagogue, too. Although his parents could be converts, or a mixed household.

on South Park, the Ginger episode.
What was the big surprise? Cartman is a redhead.

On SP in general:
Kyle's mom is a red.
SP has amazing cutting edge humor on social issues, from religion to politics to racism.
I have a rather entertaining book about the philosophy of South Park.
it also has an advisory that runs before all episodes that says it shouldn't be viewed by anyone. ;P

berr
November 30th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I loathed being a redheaded child. Teen years were worse. You are different. There were only something like 3 redheads in the whole school. Then there was the period where I was always asked if the curtains matched the carpet, or they'd just out and out ask 'What color is your pubic hair?'. You get shouted at. Told things like 'red on the noodle like a pecker on a poodle'. Nice to be compared to dog genetalia. There are also probably just as many redhead jokes as there are blond jokes. I do have my 2 favorites, though. ;)

_____

The redhead spent the first day packing her belongings. On the second day, she had the movers come and collect her things. On the third day, she sat down for the last time at their beautiful dining room table, put on some soft background music and feasted on a pound of shrimp, a jar of caviar and a bottle of chardonnay. When she had finished, she went into each and every room and stuffed half-eaten shrimp shells dipped in caviar into the hollow of all of the curtain rods. She then cleaned up the kitchen and left.

When the husband returned with his new girlfriend, all was bliss for the first few days. Then, slowly, the house began to smell. They tried everything: cleaning, mopping and airing the place out. Vents were checked for dead rodents, carpets were steam cleaned and air fresheners were hung everywhere! Exterminators were brought in to set off gas canisters, during which they had to move out for a few days, and in the end they even paid to replace the expensive wool carpeting. Nothing worked. People stopped coming over to visit. Repairmen refused to work in the house. Finally, they could not take the stench any longer and decided to move. A month later, even though they had cut their price in half, they could not find a buyer for their stinky house. Finally, they had to borrow a huge sum of money from the bank to purchase a new place.

The ex-wife called the man and asked how things were going. He told her the saga of the rotting house. She listened politely and said that she missed her old home terribly and would be willing to reduce her divorce settlement in exchange for getting the house back. Knowing his ex-wife had no idea how bad the smell was, he agreed on a price that was about 1/10 of what the house had been worth, but only if she were to sign the papers that very day.

She agreed and, within the hour, his lawyers delivered the paperwork. A week later, the man and his girlfriend stood smiling as they watched the moving company pack everything to take to their new home, including the curtain rods.

I just love a happy ending, don't you?

____

A very attractive redhead goes up to the bar in a quiet rural pub. She gestures alluringly to the bartender, who comes over immediately. When he arrives, she seductively signals that he should bring his face closer to hers. When he does so, she begins to gently caress his full beard. "Are you the manager?" she asks, softly stroking his face with both hands.

"Actually, no", the man replies. "Can you get him for me? I need to speak to him", she says, running her hands beyond his beard and into his hair.

"I'm afraid I can't," breathes the bartender, "Is there anything I can do?"

"Yes, there is. I need you to give him a message," she continues huskily, popping a couple of fingers into his mouth and allowing him to suck them gently.

"What should I tell him?" the bartender manages to say.

"Tell him," she whispers, "There is no toilet paper or hand soap in the ladies room."

terriej
November 30th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I actually let my kids (12,13) watch South Park. I do think it's inappropriate for kids, but I let them know how I feel and I talk to them about some things they present on the show. I think and I hope that they would be smart enough not to participate in this sort of thing.

Being strawberry blonde, when I was a kid, I caught a little red head teasing and a lot of blonde teasing. I swear when you're blonde, people feel obligated to tell you every blonde joke they know. Thankfully, nobody every kicked me. I actually had a harder time with being very pale and freckled. I wish very much now that somebody would have told me not to listen to people who told me I need to get a tan (as people felt the need to tell me often), somebody should have informed me that being tan for me was nearly impossible and I should avoid the sun altogether--it would have saved me a lot of pain and damage.

berr
November 30th, 2008, 01:40 PM
PS: I don't blame South Park for this behaviour. I watched the episode. They dressed Cartman like Hitler, I think if I remember correctly. If anything they had equal billing on that one because kyle (I think) had the opposing viewpoint. I like south park. The social commentary they make can be insulting to quite a few people. My favorites are the WoW episode & the ninja warrior episode. A couple of weeks ago they had vampire & goth kids episode that I found hilarious. I'll probably giggle everytime I see clamato juice.

It was the 60's when I was in school and got compared to dog genetalia. Redheads have been singled out for a long time. They used to be burned at the stake as witches.

DavidN
November 30th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I was genuinely sickened when I read about this in my local paper a few days ago, and they talked about it on my TV newscast. I have NO use for bullyng!

jojo
November 30th, 2008, 04:33 PM
how disgusting, I really hate prejudice like this. Red hair is beautiful and unique and should be celebrated not victimized like this.

marajade
November 30th, 2008, 04:52 PM
This makes me sad because of shows like Southpark- I hope the parents of these children will better monitor what their children are watching.

TheSpottedCow
November 30th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Well, the thing about the south park episode is while it's not appropriate for kids (the admin of the facebook group was 14 though. totally old enough to watch it) the episode in question was actually not meant as an insult to red headed kids. Rather, Cartman, was being "racist" against them, advocating that they had no souls, so his friends (one of whom has red hair) bleach his skin and dye his hair in his sleep, and then he goes on being a ginger pride leader or whatever. Then in the end when he realized he's not really ginger, he convinces everyone to be accepting and get along. It's just about what a manipulative nut he is.
Sorry if that's been said before. I think it has, I didn't read every response.

So nobody who did this stuff is really acting out a south park episode... they're acting out the first 10 minutes maybe. But regardless, in high school aged kids, anyone who would act out a south park episode has way bigger problems than south park.

But regardless of why anyone would kick a kid for his hair color... It's pretty gross.

Lady Lilya
November 30th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I've always loved red hair. To me it is so hard to grasp that people can feel so negatively about it.

intothemist1999
November 30th, 2008, 09:04 PM
It was very shocking - happened in the next town over from me.

It goes to show that YES media does influence people, HOWEVER, kids should NOT be watching South Park -- it's a satire (which is often EXTREMELY clever imho) and totally not kid-appropriate.

Not sure why just because it's a cartoon it's assumed it's for kids...I've been quite taken aback by some other X-Rated cartoons I've seen on regular cable , in the middle of the day.

ETA: remember that experiment that teacher did back in the 60's? "Today we'll shun the brown eyed kids," then tomorrow they'd "shun the blue eyed kids" etc. They were much younger, but it shows how maliable young minds are and why they really OUGHT to be protected from negative influences.

intothemist1999
November 30th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I've always loved red hair. To me it is so hard to grasp that people can feel so negatively about it.

I dont' believe it was any really negativity to red-headed people, per se....it was "pick an easily identifiable group". And no way could they pick an ethnic group or physically challenged group...that would be WAY too contentious. Picking on racially non-specific, able-bodied target groups is much easier to "get away with".

ETA: it's all very arbitrary, and I actually have to wonder if the SP boys weren't thinking of that "eye colour experiment" I mentioned in my previous post.

ETA: about the experiment (http://aad.english.ucsb.edu/docs/op68.html)

Islandgrrl
December 1st, 2008, 06:45 AM
Aww, so sad! :( Especially because it could be a small leap from this to something more insidious.

Oh, you mean like this (http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/10/mo-sixth-grader.html)?

Singling out any group in this way is just intolerable, but sadly probably more common than anyone realizes.

heidi w.
December 1st, 2008, 12:34 PM
Gingers?

I thought those were a reference to a yummy cookie.

heidi w.

AnimaSola3o4
December 11th, 2008, 02:42 PM
The 'hug a ginger day' one didnt go over very well either, a lot of the hate spilled over into it. I've taken the liberty of cut and pasting a few of the responses on the 'hug a ginger' event below. (I edited the curse words and the last names, but left everything else.) I'm livid about it, but I've also been aware of this hatred for a long time. I personally was never bullied about my hair in school. Gingerism should not be tolerated, we as a society frown on ridicule and prejudice on skin color, ethnic groups, sexual orientation... etc, so why is MY hair color and skin color and freckles something that's considered fair play???

Jamie wrote:
Are you f***ing joking? I wouldnt hug a ginger even if I had AIDS and the only cure was on the surface of their pasty freckly skin.

Alex wrote:
This is entirely obscene and disgraceful. Everyone knows the correct holiday is 'Kick a Ginger Day'. F*** you as*h**le. G*dd*mn racists.

Brooke wrote:
those poor unfortunate gingigers.
but be carefull when you approach them
if one bites you be sure to contact poison controll immediatley.

Brianna wrote:
pff, I don't consort with Gingers.
They don't have souls.

Mike wrote:
LOL, when i see a ginger, ill be sure to shoot it on site.

Chris wrote:
im sorry but gingers dont deserve to live let alone even get a hug so this day officially sucks

Josiah wrote:
red hair and fair skin is a mutation; gingers are mutants. not the cool kind.

Tony wrote:
Gingers arent people, theyre monsters

There were many more, things such as 'i wont go near a ginger, don't want to catch 'gingervitis' or have them suck my soul out.'

I just couldn't deal with reading any more. It makes me sad that so many people think this stuff is just funny - when it's really really hurtful and offensive. :sad

ETA: I have had the random insult for my hair, from other adults (or older teens), out in public. Fire cr*tch is a common one. A few times I've been walking down the street and had someone yell things out the car to me, usually I can't make out what they say, but I know it's an insult.

Heck my high school ceramics teacher could never remember my name, so he just called me 'Red.' I didn't mind that so much though. And the carpets/curtains questions dont bother me as much either, cuz usually it's asked out of pure curiousity and the person has never encountered a redhead intimately to know what it would look like. I do, however, ignore that question when it's used as a pick-up line.

Islandgrrl
December 11th, 2008, 03:15 PM
G*d AnimaSola, that's appalling. :evil:

Dreamernz
December 11th, 2008, 03:22 PM
This is absolutely ridiculous, it disgusts me how idiotic some people can be. Besides which red hair is the most beautiful of all hair colours, people just get jealous!

saracuda
December 11th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I can't imagine someone kicking my ginger husband. He's very intimidating-looking, and his little redhead temper would snap, and the kicker would be in for a smackdown.

Beloved
December 11th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Besides which red hair is the most beautiful of all hair colours, people just get jealous!

I agree, and I'm a brunette!

Anyone who kicks a redhead better be a fast runner because in my experience that bit about the redhead temper is the truth!

Beloved
December 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Gingers?

I thought those were a reference to a yummy cookie.

Me too! I was like, why would anyone kick a cookie? They are so tasty.

GlassEyes
December 11th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Why kick a ginger when you can do...other things with a ginger. :eyebrows:

Katurday
December 11th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I actually find this hilarious.
Most people are outraged at how "shocking" this is.
The truth is all kids get bullied at some point for something. That Ginger kid is a whiner.
When I was young, my parents just told me to punch whoever bugged me about anything.
I didn't become some violent freak, I actually became a peaceful outgoing girl who didn't let people walk all over me.
Kids are going to be mean no matter what.
Those kids shoulda just fought back.

AnimaSola3o4
December 11th, 2008, 05:59 PM
G*d AnimaSola, that's appalling. :evil:

I know. :(

AutumnSky
December 11th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Sick, pathetic, juvenlie. I'm shocked that facebook would allow what amounts to a hate group to remain on their system.

People horrify me sometimes.

Lady Lilya
December 11th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I actually thought gingers were orange tabby cats. That is what I thought was going to be kicked in this thread.

redhead_rachel
December 11th, 2008, 09:05 PM
The truth is all kids get bullied at some point for something. That Ginger kid is a whiner.
When I was young, my parents just told me to punch whoever bugged me about anything.
I didn't become some violent freak, I actually became a peaceful outgoing girl who didn't let people walk all over me.

"All kids get bullied at some point" is IMHO a very sweeping generalisation and in my experience certainly not the truth. Just because it happens it does most certainly not make it condonable.
1 child being set upon by a gang of hateful thugs is not entertaining, it is disgusting, it is hate crime plain and simple.

It has been said in the past that bullying is character building. But I say it is soul- destroying. Bullying scars you for life, mentally and physically. It's been 2 years since I left school and I am still coming to terms with nearly 14 years of torment, 5 years of depression and self- harm, which has left a marked and lasting impression on me. I stuggle with those memories ,those feelings of worthlessness, clear as ever, every day. Did it make me stronger, invincible? I don't think so. But I made it through, and I am still here. Not everyone does- I have heard of children and young people commiting/attempting suicide as a result of "playground" bullying. Hilarious? I think tragic would be more apt.

NebraskaChick84
December 11th, 2008, 09:09 PM
in my experience violence begets violence. and two wrongs do NOT make a right.

and I would be a whiner too if my shins were covered with bruises because some bullies thought my hair was the wrong color.

this is so distressing. I can't believe the cruelty of kids...and I thought it was bad for being bullied because I had boy short hair in 7th grade (and a stick straight figure)

marajade
December 11th, 2008, 09:10 PM
It says the kid was kicked over 80 times. If I were him I'd probably be going to the hospital. . I think that's pretty serious.

invisiblebabe
December 11th, 2008, 09:14 PM

Different people have different temperaments. Clearly, yours is not of the more sensitive nature, which like anything has both its strengths and weaknesses.

Also, there is a huge difference between being teased once in awhile and being constantly ganged up on by everyone in your class. For kids who don't have any social support, it can be brutal and not at all hilarious.

Am I shocked by the OP? Sadly, no, as this sort of thing has become commonplace in schools these days. Am I saddened by it? Yes.

invisiblebabe
December 11th, 2008, 09:17 PM
"All kids get bullied at some point" is IMHO a very sweeping generalisation and in my experience certainly not the truth. Just because it happens it does most certainly not make it condonable.
1 child being set upon by a gang of hateful thugs is not entertaining, it is disgusting, it is hate crime plain and simple.

It has been said in the past that bullying is character building. But I say it is soul- destroying. Bullying scars you for life, mentally and physically. It's been 2 years since I left school and I am still coming to terms with nearly 14 years of torment, 5 years of depression and self- harm, which has left a marked and lasting impression on me. I stuggle with those memories ,those feelings of worthlessness, clear as ever, every day. Did it make me stronger, invincible? I don't think so. But I made it through, and I am still here. Not everyone does- I have heard of children and young people commiting/attempting suicide as a result of "playground" bullying. Hilarious? I think tragic would be more apt.

Agreed.... I have had similar experiences as you. Feel free to PM if you ever feel like talking :)

ETA: Oh, I notice in your profile you're a Christian. :) I am as well.

ecologystudent
December 11th, 2008, 09:55 PM
How is violence ever funny? How is a group of people ganging up and beating a single person ever ok? How is a single child supposed to fight off multiple aggressors who are older then them? Most adults aren't capable of fighting off a gang, and to expect that a child be able to do that? Unbelievable.

Lady Lilya
December 12th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Different people have different temperaments. Clearly, yours is not of the more sensitive nature, which like anything has both its strengths and weaknesses.

I'm also not a sensitive one. I was moderately bullied, but I was fine. I don't even feel much about it when I look back at it.

But I wouldn't wish that on someone else. Most people aren't that secure.

Also, there is a huge difference between being teased once in awhile and being constantly ganged up on by everyone in your class. For kids who don't have any social support, it can be brutal and not at all hilarious.Yeah. If EVERYONE thinks you are bad, it is hard to have any sort of decent self-image. Part of how we understand ourselves is by how we are reflected back by other people in our environment. If everything reflected back at us suggests that we are horrible people that make others miserable, that sounds like a recipe for suicide to me.

glennagiraffe
December 12th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I find this a little bit funny but not much.

I got/still get teased for my gingerness and freckles however i've never suffered bruises for it unless you count my brothers torture...

dreamhair
December 12th, 2008, 09:00 AM
This is a horrible story.

There was one red head I knew as a kid and he was always picked on for his hair color. He hated it. He immersed himself into music and I think he plays trumpet in a prominent orchestra.

I told my fiancee about this story... he didn't blame South Park for the kids doing this.... he blamed Facebook ... go figure.

Pegasus Marsters
December 12th, 2008, 10:04 AM

I read a statistic a few years ago which said something like 18 kids a year in the UK commit suicide because of bullying in school. It might not be accurate but even ONE child committing suicide is too many.

How is violence ever funny? How is a group of people ganging up and beating a single person ever ok? How is a single child supposed to fight off multiple aggressors who are older then them? Most adults aren't capable of fighting off a gang, and to expect that a child be able to do that? Unbelievable.

I'd also like to know how one child is meant to beat back a gang of 10-20-30 kids. I've been surrounded by a gang of kids and beaten up. Believe me, fighting back was not worth it in that case. The only escape was dodging and running and praying they didn't catch me.

AnimaSola3o4
December 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I should add that the tiny amount of bullying and insults I have endured due to my red hair, is minuscule compared to the amount of compliments I've always gotten. I remember being stopped constantly as a child when I was out with my mom when random adults would tell me how beautiful I was. I ended up being painfully shy from that. ;) But if I still remember it, it must be special huh?

It just bothers me to see actual HATE groups online. These people might or might not say anything to our faces if given the opportunity... I mean who knows, I might have just not run into one of the red hair haters. But hiding behind a computer screen and a keyboard, a lot of people don't censor themselves at all. Internet bullying is just as bad as in person bullying, IMO.

HeavyHenry
December 12th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Pwahahaha My god this is still going on?!? Ridiculous my hair is red in the sense that it isn't quite brown it has a faint tinge but it was enough that idiots used to pick on me (having long hair didnt help) but I never let it bother me if someone is that petty then you have to laugh at there clear inadequecy about them selves:P

Demetrue
December 12th, 2008, 03:42 PM
The problem was not that they were laughing, or even teasing, the problem to me is that a gang of older children targeted and physically assaulted a younger child solely based on a visible physical difference. Also, all my life growing up in the US, I have never heard of hatred against people with red hair, and I have never heard anyone with red hair referred to as "a Ginger" before - that's why this has struck me as so very strange - the minute you stop seeing a person as a human being and use a label like a Ginger, a cripple, a Jap - you dehumanize them and start to allow abuse against them based on a physical characteristic. And verbal abuse will eventually turn into physical abuse and that is unacceptable in a civilized society. I've noticed in human history that it is way too easy to single out one group of people who are different, stigmatize them, turn on them and eventually sanction prejudice, abuse and even extermination.

HeavyHenry
December 12th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Started in scotland due to the milkmen all having red hair and since that was a job noone wanted the hair colour was "brought down" with it well thats one theory anyway

invisiblebabe
December 12th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I'm also not a sensitive one. I was moderately bullied, but I was fine. I don't even feel much about it when I look back at it.

But I wouldn't wish that on someone else. Most people aren't that secure.

I was thinking about sensitivity in terms of neurology (i.e. Elaine Aron's research on HSPs), rather than emotional security.... but yah, you do have a point in that emotional security and attachment style (which are both developed from birth, and a person cannot help how her parents treated her) likely play a part in how someone reacts to bullying too.

Yeah. If EVERYONE thinks you are bad, it is hard to have any sort of decent self-image. Part of how we understand ourselves is by how we are reflected back by other people in our environment. If everything reflected back at us suggests that we are horrible people that make others miserable, that sounds like a recipe for suicide to me.
Yep, exactly :)

flapjack
December 12th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I've always thought that red hair is BEAUTIFUL and it's definitely the most rare and interesting hair color out there, I think. So the idea of teasing or beating up a redhead just screams horrible jealousy to me. It's like people hating people with naturally light blonde hair... it's clearly because they're jealous that their haircolor isn't as neat or interesting.

Just my $0.02.

florenonite
December 13th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Started in scotland due to the milkmen all having red hair and since that was a job noone wanted the hair colour was "brought down" with it well thats one theory anyway

I doubt that, tbh. There are redheaded people doing all sorts of things in Scotland, not necessarily milkmen.

rhubarbarin
December 13th, 2008, 07:12 AM
What a terrible thing. Poor kids.

Goes to show why kids' tv and internet time should be limited and strictly supervised. Did you read that line quoted from South Park? About "gingers have no souls"?
This is disgusting. :puke:

I'm a big South Park fan, and that particular episode was clear satire that pointed out the ridiculousness and cruelty of discriminating against people based on the way they look. That those kids would see the show and take it as an excuse to 'kick a ginger' (there's no mention of any such thing in the episode) says everything about what kind of person they are.. if they hadn't seen a tv show that sparked the idea, I'm sure they would have found some other way to torture someone.

GlassEyes
December 13th, 2008, 09:05 AM

I'm a big South Park fan, and that particular episode was clear satire that pointed out the ridiculousness and cruelty of discriminating against people based on the way they look. That those kids would see the show and take it as an excuse to 'kick a ginger' (there's no mention of any such thing in the episode) says everything about what kind of person they are.. if they hadn't seen a tv show that sparked the idea, I'm sure they would have found some other way to torture someone.

Agreed. South Park episodes often have a clear message the exact opposite of what is presented. Especially if it's something Catman says. :rolleyes:

And as far as the hate groups for redheads, it doesn't surprise me. There are thousands of groups against any sort of thing, skin color, sexuality; anything that defies their sense of 'normalcy' or 'morality'. It really doesn't surprise me, as a half-black, half-white, gay kid who listens to metal and used to be semi-goth. There's no end to the amount of groups that'd want to hate me. xD;

Pegasus Marsters
December 13th, 2008, 09:38 AM

I agree completely. And I don't think South Park can be blamed. By blaming a TV show we remove the responsibility from the individual. It's the same as blaming The Beatles for Charles Mansons 'Helter Skelter' beliefs or blaming the game Manhunt when a kid decides to murder another. :rolleyes: There's a reason there are age certificates on video games, movies and TV shows. South Park over here was always aired around 11pm as far as I can remember, unless it's now aired earlier. I never will understand why the hell people think it's appropriate for their (Clearly immature) children to watch these things. They'll just take it at face value and not understand things such as irony.

Unfortunately lots of kids are allowed to see totally innapropriate shows that are aimed at adults. I'm not about to vote for a show (CD/Book/video game/movie) aimed at adults to be banned because some idiots allow their kids to view totally inappropriate content. I get that some kids are more mature than others and can watch these things and it should be a child by child basis, but clearly these kids are not mature enough to understand the message the show is attempting to put across.

AnimaSola3o4
December 13th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Agreed. South Park episodes often have a clear message the exact opposite of what is presented. Especially if it's something Catman says. :rolleyes:

And as far as the hate groups for redheads, it doesn't surprise me. There are thousands of groups against any sort of thing, skin color, sexuality; anything that defies their sense of 'normalcy' or 'morality'. It really doesn't surprise me, as a half-black, half-white, gay kid who listens to metal and used to be semi-goth. There's no end to the amount of groups that'd want to hate me. xD;

I was just thinking about this last night. You're right, there are tons of hate groups out there for just about every difference anyone can have physically. But I loathe all of the hate groups.

I am proud of who I am, it took me years to be, but I am. Actually for the very first time yesterday I was sitting at a bus stop in the freezing cold all bundled up and caught my reflection in the glass, and had to stop and look twice because I actually thought I looked pretty. I've never really seen that when I saw myself, I always picked on the flaws instead. Imagine my shock! haha.

I wouldn't trade anything to be someone else. I guess just being proud of ourselves is the best defense against haters, huh?

Anywho, as for South Park goes... I personally think the humor is very childish and immature. I can see how the younger kids could get a laugh about it, even if they shouldnt be watching it. For me? Talking poo? No thanks. ;)

HeavyHenry
December 13th, 2008, 03:23 PM
you never heard that stereotype?

RedJen
December 13th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I'm a proud ginger, but I endured hell over my hair color (and my highly sensitive disposition) from kindergarten until about tenth grade, in NINE different schools. I must have had a huge permanent sign on my back saying "Kick Me."

I attempted to retaliate once, when the odds seemed to be in my favor (only two kids ganging up on me) and immediately got in trouble. I am MEAN when I retaliate, and apparently, I hurt that poor little gorgeous blonde bully's feelings. I got in trouble and she continued to torture me. Character-building. Right.

I know that other groups have faced far worse discrimination than we have (though burning at the stake is pretty bad, and economic discrimination, etc) but I also know that there are people in this day and age (and not just in Britain) who hate gingers so much that we would not be able to get a job if they were on the committee. That's both stupid and frightening.

I agree. I have suffered a lot. And the adults who weren't openly condoning bullying me (such as my insane fourth grade teacher) refused to do anything about it because it builds character, or I should just learn to cope with it. I get so angry when I see adults treat bullying as anything less than the CRIME that it is.

I'm also a South Park fan and I think the idea of that episode is hilarious. It's pointing out just how STUPID irrational prejudice is.

invisiblebabe
December 13th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I've always thought that red hair is BEAUTIFUL and it's definitely the most rare and interesting hair color out there, I think. So the idea of teasing or beating up a redhead just screams horrible jealousy to me. It's like people hating people with naturally light blonde hair... it's clearly because they're jealous that their haircolor isn't as neat or interesting.

Just my $0.02.

I agree, ever since I was a kid, I have always wanted naturally red or light blonde hair :) Kicking other people who have it is silly, though.... not like it's going to make my hair change colors ;)

Pegasus Marsters
December 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I attempted to retaliate once, when the odds seemed to be in my favor (only two kids ganging up on me) and immediately got in trouble. I am MEAN when I retaliate, and apparently, I hurt that poor little gorgeous blonde bully's feelings. I got in trouble and she continued to torture me. Character-building. Right.

Oh of course. I once called a girl a "f***ing wh*re" because she'd spent the entire lesson slamming me into a desk, then chased me through the school, punched me, slammed me into a wall and pushed me down the stairs.

I got detention for swearing at her. :rolleyes: She got detention for all the things she did to me. How the hell is swearing as bad as pushing another student down the stairs?

Beloved
December 14th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Pegasus, what was wrong with your teachers?

I had a girl taunt me and pull my hair when I was the new girl mid-year in second grade. I shoved her so she tumbled into a bunch of desks (it was like bowling!) and she told on me. But the head nun took my side and I didn't get in any trouble. I don't remember if the other girl did either, but I was satisfied with shoving her into the desks.

flapjack
December 14th, 2008, 01:33 PM
A lot of school administrators tend to have a blanket policy for most cases of people causing issues. It's completely unfair and it's very lazy, but that happens a lot. It's happened to me, also, but I'm not going to get into it on a public forum. Ah, Catholic school.

I have another second grade story... at that time, I had thigh length hair and my mom always put it into two braids. Two girls in my class dragged me by my hair around the corner and into the girls' bathroom, pulled out a pair of scissors and then threatened to cut my hair. The bell rang for us to go back to class and they told me if I told any authorities, they would definitely cut my hair the next time they saw me.

Me, being a complete ass who usually thinks I'm smarter than my peers (one of my finer qualities to this day, hahaha), hopped straight out of the bathroom to the principal's office and they were expelled the next day.

rhubarbarin
December 14th, 2008, 01:54 PM
For some reason I was never bullied, and I am so thankful. It can be truly soul-destroying. I know people who have never recovered. If my future children have problems, I won't hesitate to pull them and homeschool, rather than risk them suffering what some of my friends have..

I think it was mostly due to my personality, although pure chance (or good luck) had a lot to do with it I'm sure. I was always small for my age, funny-looking with a bad haircut, glasses and braces, and a weirdo in plenty of other ways, and kids were sometimes mean to me.. but I'm also blessed (or cursed) in that I have never given a fig what other people think or say. I knew how to hit where it hurt, and I could say even crueler things right back when someone started with me.. and if I got in trouble with teachers, that never bothered me either.

I can't imagine what I would do if I was a little 13-year-old and was accosted by a mob intent on kicking me in the shins, however. That's just so over the top.

Pegasus Marsters
December 15th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Pegasus, what was wrong with your teachers?

I have no idea. My logic is that it's easier to let one kid walk away from the school than it is to expel 30+ bullies. I was also beaten up in class once and when I ran out of the room the teacher sent someone to go get me back. I actually laughed because the idea I'd voluntarily step back into that room was absolute lunacy. :rolleyes: