PDA

View Full Version : What helped your shedding?

Boots
November 26th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I began CO and use only one cone product now and I've gone from extreme shedding to none in the last 3 weeks. I don't mean seasonal shed either. I constantly lost huge amounts of hair year-round, daily.

Do you think the switch from shampoo has helped or the decrease in cones? Did those things help you? The change is amazing.

wintersun99
November 26th, 2008, 05:48 PM

spidermom
November 26th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I had a huge shed end-summer 2005; scary hand fulls of hair. I think it was part of my natural shed and regrow cycle because I washed with diluted shampoo then and I wash with diluted shampoo now -- CWC style. I shed little. Even stuck to the wall of the shower area, it's barely noticeable.

Elainehali
November 26th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Sure it could happen. Maybe you're allergic to a common ingredient in shampoos.

Thankfully you've had a change for the better :cheer:

Flaxen
November 26th, 2008, 07:30 PM
For me, the change when I switched to a non-sulfate shampoo was immediate and quite stunning. I estimate it cut my post shower shedding to one third of the amount of hair. :bigeyes:

galemarie
November 27th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I began CO and use only one cone product now and I've gone from extreme shedding to none in the last 3 weeks. I don't mean seasonal shed either. I constantly lost huge amounts of hair year-round, daily.

Do you think the switch from shampoo has helped or the decrease in cones? Did those things help you? The change is amazing.
I purchased a Sprite shower filter at Home depot. It removes all chlorine,dirt, etc. from the water. Before I got this my hair would come out a combful each time I got out of the shower. I never lose hair anymore and another plus is, my skin is sooo soft!

ktani
November 27th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I still use a sulfate shampoo but it has a low pH and switching from conditioner to herbs helped a smal bit with shedding.

Then I switched herbs to catnip and with the same sulfate shampoo, I have less shedding than ever.

beatricedivina
November 27th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Shampoo bars - they helped quite a lot.

I also started taking a trace minerals supplement and a fish oil supplement recommended by my chiropractor. I'm 19 months postpartum and the amount of shed has been astonishing, but it seems to be tapering off.

Elenna
November 28th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I still use a sulfate shampoo but it has a low pH and switching from conditioner to herbs helped a smal bit with shedding.

Then I switched herbs to catnip and with the same sulfate shampoo, I have less shedding than ever.

Which shampoo is that Ktani?

ChloeDharma
November 28th, 2008, 03:41 AM
It's interesting that switching to CO reduced your shedding, for me it increases it, but i have heard some people shed more with sulphates.
For me the main things that reduce shedding are making sure i eat properly, daily scalp massage, scalp oiling and herb washing.

Boots
November 28th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Isn't it odd how people react different ways? I still clarify every now and then and my hair goes crazy when I do. It just hates shampoo...all these years, I've been torturing it :(

DragonLady
November 28th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I've finally learned NOT to comb my hair when it's wet at all. Not even just damp. I never really noticed 'till these last couple of weeks, but I lose a huge number of hairs when I do anything to it while it's wet. Even just running water through it either causes sheds to let go, or causes breakage. From now on I'll do my best to just let it dry before I detangle, even with my fingers.

ktani
November 28th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Isn't it odd how people react different ways? I still clarify every now and then and my hair goes crazy when I do. It just hates shampoo...all these years, I've been torturing it :(

IMO, that is because there are many variables both with conventional products like shampoo (cleansers, pH and additives) and natural methods (residues, balanced recipes, oils).

To me it is about finding the right system or compromise that works and first ruling out medical or drug considerations. A number of medications can also contribute to hair loss.

Then there are allergies and sensitivities, both to conventional and natural ingredients.

ktani
November 28th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I just added this to a thread on shedding I started.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=362024&postcount=91

marajade
November 28th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I purchased a Sprite shower filter at Home depot. It removes all chlorine,dirt, etc. from the water. Before I got this my hair would come out a combful each time I got out of the shower. I never lose hair anymore and another plus is, my skin is sooo soft!

OOoooooo. . I've been thinking about getting a shower filter. Enabler!! :D

girlcat36
November 28th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Scalp massage puts an end to my shedding everytime. Sometimes I forget to do it---then the shedding begins again and I come to my senses and I start doing it again every night.

maliha
November 28th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Ofcourse joinig LHC made a big difference on my hair shedding and using less shampoo.

marajade
November 28th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I found that gelatin, in pill form, along with MSM and Biotin, really helps. Also, trying to reduce my stress or my reaction to stress.

Rennie
November 28th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I agree with girlcat36. Since I started scalp massage this month, not only have I stopped shedding but my hair grew 1" this month!!