View Full Version : new and amazed!

tabbymook
November 26th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Hi there,

I've been lurking around here the last few days and I'm so amazed at all these beautiful women-- I expected long, lovely hair of course, but the humour, grace, intelligence, the hilarious comments. The kindness to others! The lengthy considered responses! It's all too much! I'm actually tearful writing this--possibly because I don't have many close female friends due to a move and the fact that I now work at home.

Reading the posts here and thinking about hair, about how I've treated my hair throughout my lifetime, makes me feel that approaches to hair are psychological. I tend to pull hairs out when I'm stressed, picking out individual hairs and yanking them out. This has caused a lot of damage, apart from my thyroid disease, the insecure highlights, the cruel blow-drying and desperate gunk I've piled on to it. I just hid my hair-dryer and used by first ACV rinse this morning. I could feel my scalp breathing and tingling! I'm hoping I'll have my own lovely hair by the time I finally grow up, hopefully before the big 40 next June!

MandaMom2Three
November 26th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I was shocked too!! It's hard to find such a divers group that treats each other so considerately! It's refreshing! I love LHC :love:

redbark
November 26th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Welcome :D :flowers:

Teazel
November 26th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Welcome! It's a special place, isn't it? I hope you enjoy yourself here, and all the best with your hair goals. :)

spidermom
November 26th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Hi. Settle in; get comfortable.

Vitalai
November 26th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Hello! :flower: Welcome to LHC! It is a wonderful place, isn't it?

justgreen
November 26th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Hi and welcome to the boards! Just jump right in and make yourself at home! I'm a highlighter too, so do not feel guilty. Pretty soon you'll find a routine that works for YOU and you'll quit pulling those hairs. It really helps if you start a blog, even if you don't want anyone else to read it (although those comments can be really helpful and uplifting), and then you can keep track of what works and what doesn't work.

Welcome! :flower:

Silver & Gold
November 26th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I understand how you feel. I've had the same experience of people here. Friendly, supportive and diverse, I don't know of another online group quite like it.

Welcome, come on in and sit a spell.

chrissy-b
November 26th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Hello and welcome! :flower:

I have the same issue when I'm stressed, and through the people here and advice I've received, I've been doing much better with that and my hair is getting long again. This is a very supportive and friendly group which I'm honored to be a part.

intothemist1999
November 26th, 2008, 09:01 PM
A hearty welcome to you, tabbymook!! :flower:

Melisande
November 26th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Tabbymook, I learned so much on these boards, much more than only taking care of my hair and making it look and feel better than it ever did. There are many wise members here, of all ages, and usually the tone is very respectful.

The thread about the Siamese Pyrexes was one of the funniest in human memory. Find it and have a good laugh.

Enjoy your hair journey.

Aditi
November 27th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I was shocked too!! It's hard to find such a divers group that treats each other so considerately! It's refreshing! I love LHC :love:
Exactly what i have views about LHC and its members. Welcome dear.

basketcase413
November 27th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Welcome! I too am new. I'll post more info about in a separate post.

sahiba
November 27th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Welcome to the world of LHC.;)

tabbymook
November 27th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome! I feel as if I've fallen into a fairyland full of wise princesses!

tabbymook
November 27th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Oh I'm sorry you do or did that too-- (pulling hairs out) I've vowed to myself to stop it forever, and have commanded my BF to shout at me when he sees me doing it. I'm trying not to touch my hair at all now, except when I'm smoothing something nice into it!

bunnii
November 27th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Hellooooo and welcome to LHC :) It is pretty lovely here it should be called the Lovely Hair Community (did I just get over mushy? I think I did hehe)

tabbymook
November 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Tabbymook, I learned so much on these boards, much more than only taking care of my hair and making it look and feel better than it ever did. There are many wise members here, of all ages, and usually the tone is very respectful.

The thread about the Siamese Pyrexes was one of the funniest in human memory. Find it and have a good laugh.

Enjoy your hair journey.

Hi Melisande

Thanks for the welcome! I looked everywhere for those pesky Siamese Pyrexes! But alas. Could they have been lost during the fabled 'crash' I've heard so much about?

Xandergrammy
November 27th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Hi Tabbymook and welcome!!! I stumbled upon this community almost 3 years ago, not long after my sister died. The people here helped me climb out of a dark hole and I've made some wonderful friends in the process.

And you have a good start on your hair growing. I peeked at your profile picture and you're a beautiful lady. :flowers:

Xandergrammy
November 27th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Oh I'm sorry you do or did that too-- (pulling hairs out) I've vowed to myself to stop it forever, and have commanded my BF to shout at me when he sees me doing it. I'm trying not to touch my hair at all now, except when I'm smoothing something nice into it!

I don't pull out hairs, but I do pick at a certain spot on my scalp when stressed. I'm amazed that I don't have a bald spot there. My DH hollers (gently) when he catches me doing it, but I'm sneaky. :gabigrin:

justgreen
November 27th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Siamese Pyrex (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13028&highlight=pyrex)

embee
November 27th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Welcome! This is a nice place, indeed. :) I've not found a nicer online and I've been looking a *long* time. I've seldom found as nice a place in Real Life, more's the pity.

Support, the name of the game here. :)

LutraLutra
November 27th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Hello! Yup, this is great place. I thought I knew pretty much all there was to know about haircare until I found the LHC - now I know I know nothing! :D

Melisande
November 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Justgreen beat me to it ;-) my all-time favorite LHC thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13028&highlight=pyrex).

lorig713
November 27th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hello and Welcome to LHC! :flowers:

neon-dream
November 27th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Hey!
Yeah, these boards are so accepting of everyone.
I was fascinated, and I love it here, even though I've been here less than a month!
Welcome :blossom:

tabbymook
November 27th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Hi Tabbymook and welcome!!! I stumbled upon this community almost 3 years ago, not long after my sister died. The people here helped me climb out of a dark hole and I've made some wonderful friends in the process.

And you have a good start on your hair growing. I peeked at your profile picture and you're a beautiful lady. :flowers:

Hi Xandergrammy,

I'm sorry to hear about your sister, and glad you found some solace here-- it's worth knowing that there are kind people all over the world, even when you're suffering. Or I guess, especially when. Sometimes when I spend too much time by myself my vision of humanity goes all askew. Isn't the Internet wonderful for helping with that? Especially when like minds are gathered. And thanks for the compliment-- I'm secretly convinced the camera is whiting out several of my most significant flaws, but I'll accept it!

Thanks and good wishes!

Kerry-Lee

tabbymook
November 27th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Justgreen beat me to it ;-) my all-time favorite LHC thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13028&highlight=pyrex).

Hee hee, yes that really is very funny--- cupples!

Funny, I searched under 'Siamese', and so got to also read about some nice lady whose nick is "Siamese' and see lots of pictures of people's cats.... it's all good!

Thanks

Kerry-Lee

tabbymook
November 27th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Siamese Pyrex (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13028&highlight=pyrex)

Thanks for that! Really made my evening, after coming home frazzled from an awful bunch of errands in our first wet snows of the year.

Best wishes

Kerry-Lee