PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody drink anything for your hair?

plainjanegirl
November 26th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I was recently told that soy or whey protein shakes are good for your hair. One older lady who had thinning hair was told to use it and also someone who had had weight loss surgery was losing hair and told to use it. I have also heard that drinking the jello mix before it sets up is good for hair too. So does anybody drink anything for hair and if so what and how often and what have been your results?

logica_divina
November 26th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Umm... Water?
Lots and lots and lots of it. :spitting::spitting::spitting:

AnneAdeline
November 26th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Hmm, I've never heard of any of these. I don't drink anything specifically to help my hair.
I can't wait to see the other replies (I'm curious).

Chromis
November 26th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Er no, I drink to quench my thirst mostly!

Monsterkitti
November 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I know my DM used to eat jelly because it was supposedly good for her nails but never heard about it for hair.

jojo
November 26th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I have heard jello is good for the hair too but i just drink when I am thirsty, though I try to drink extra milk for my bones as well as it being good for hair.

Philomela
November 26th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Beer. It's got lots of B vitamin.

Kuchen
November 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Guinness.

It's good for you.

OhioLisa
November 26th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I think if you're getting enough protein in your diet, you wouldn't need the drinks. People who do the weight loss surgery have to be mindful of getting enough protein as well, so that's probably why it was recommended in such a case. I think the protein would help the condition of the hair, but wouldn't increase growth or anything. I'll stick to water. :D

Johanna64
November 26th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I also think that water is good for your hair :)

wintersun99
November 26th, 2008, 11:06 AM

vidgrl007
November 26th, 2008, 11:33 AM
My hair absolutely loves it when I drink soy.

BlackfootHair
November 26th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I started drinking whey protein. But today is only the second day so really I haven't noticed anything as of yet. I also like the benefit that if you drink extra protein it staves off hunger as well, which means I eat less, and hopefully loose some weight! :)

RavennaNight
November 26th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Umm... Water?

Yup. I second that.

xoxo
November 26th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I would say water too

baobhan sith
November 26th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Whey protein's good for me, especially if the shake's made with soy milk ( i digest it better) I don't use it often though... that would mean i had to get up a whole... ten minutes earlier each day?

I'm not joking. I'm a teenager.

But keeping your body hydrated is best for growth (skins nails muscles etc, not only hair!)

I must start listening to my own advice:)

Igor
November 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I think you will find a lot of people who have some sort of protein shake as part of their supplement intake. However, the body can only transform a certain amount of protein in “building blocks” for itself, such as hair, nails and tissue so any extra unused protein will be stored as energy, aka fat
You need around 1 gram of protein per 1 kg of body mass for a healthy adult
That’s 0,035 ounces per 2,2 pounds since you’re in the US :wink:

The thing is that any protein shake in itself is often high in calories so you should take a critical look at how many calories your shake or shake mix contains. There’s no reason to pile extra calories on your body, especially if you’re not getting any extra growth out of it

I personally take two different protein tablets as part of my supplement routine and they cover around 6% of my necessary protein intake. Some times I make a protein shake myself, but I make it as a vanilla ice coffee shake which is very low in calories

SimplyLonghair
November 26th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I find that if I am drinking enough water that my hair growth rate speeds up. I think that it is because you need water for every metabolic function and most of us pend our lives getting more and more dehydrated. You start off at 90% water as a baby and end up as an elderly person at right at 50% water. A drastic decrease. Each decade you are losing moisture. So drink lots of water. The only problem that some have had with over hydration is when you have too much water for your blood salts. That is why you add a little back in as you drink. Just a pinch per quart is usually enough if you are sweating and less if you are not exercising. I know I have less aches and pains when I drink fluids than when I don't.:D

Fantak
November 26th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Milk + raw egg shake for breakfast :D Stops (unnecessary?) shedding in three days :)

It doesn't taste as bad as it sounds :)

I went to see a trichologist at Philip Kingsley once upon a time and she said I had to have protein for breakfast if I wanted my hair to stay long and healthy so this was how I got my protein ^.^ (She also said a bunch of other stuff, I'll see if I can dig up the papers and my notes)

backtolonghair
November 26th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I try to drink alot of water and I also drink some fruit juices, like orange juice. Another thing I do, is drink a glass for fresh vegetable juice every day. I have a juicer at home and either my sister or I make ourselves a glass of fresh vegetable juice in the morning. It's really good and has alot of vitamins and minerals.
:)

Anne~
November 26th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Ya, Beer! LMAO!

wimsey
November 26th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I will second both Guinness and Red Wine.

Actually any dark, malty beer will do :)....

LadyLongLocks
November 26th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Protein shakes. I'm a vegetarian so I like them. As far as my hair growth, I haven't noticed an increase yet. Still a little over 1/2" per month or about 7" per year.

dancingmegs
November 26th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I drink Tequila, purely for the hairgrowth and scalp-health benefits of course. It's like a deep hair treatment in a bottle!

Excuse me while I go take a shot. I'll go through anything for my hair!

Sissy
November 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Try drinking cucumber juice daily.
I don't drink it but have been thinking about starting or at least trying eat more cucumbers. Cucumbers are very healthy and can aid in weight reduction, cleansing of the system and hair growth and shine. Cucumber is a fantastic source of silica. Silica is important for hair health. Daily cucumber juice intake helps prevent hair loss and promote your to hair grow healthier. So, lets all be sure to grow some in our garden this Spring! :o

Aisha25
November 26th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I drink Tequila, purely for the hairgrowth and scalp-health benefits of course. It's like a deep hair treatment in a bottle!

Excuse me while I go take a shot. I'll go through anything for my hair!
Ooh sure blame your hairs:laugh:

Sissy
November 26th, 2008, 08:18 PM
but yes... also H2O and whey protein shakes made with light soy milk should be helpful. Just be careful not to take too much soy.

rymorg2
November 26th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Hmmm....I've been drinking whey protein shakes for a month or so now....for health reasons, weight loss, etc, not for my hair....and I've also been taking MSM for that long, and I've gotten more growth. Not sure if it's the MSM or protein or both. :D

Raven69
November 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Haha, I have heard that some drinks might help hair grow but never really believed it so I didn't really listen. I don't know what really works, but I do know, that I have been drinking a lot of water and milk...not to mention soda.

Sissy
November 26th, 2008, 09:07 PM
blah, soda... that is something I'd love to cut out of my diet. Think I should too, most recommend it be cut out or severely limited for overall health reasons. Besides, the less soda I drink means the more water or other healthy things drink! However, I love my diet sunkist and diet dr. pepper.

chrissy-b
November 27th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I drink nettle tea on a fairly regular basis. It is high in iron and I've been told good for the blood and kidneys in particular, thus -- good for hair. I haven't noticed a difference in growth or anything, and unless you like the taste of grass, and need this herb for other health issues, I wouldn't try it.

vampodrama
November 27th, 2008, 12:48 AM
beer! :beerchug:

just look at all the metal people - they drink loads of beer and all of them have long hair!

plainjanegirl
November 27th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Try drinking cucumber juice daily.
I don't drink it but have been thinking about starting or at least trying eat more cucumbers. Cucumbers are very healthy and can aid in weight reduction, cleansing of the system and hair growth and shine. Cucumber is a fantastic source of silica. Silica is important for hair health. Daily cucumber juice intake helps prevent hair loss and promote your to hair grow healthier. So, lets all be sure to grow some in our garden this Spring! :o

I have never heard of cucumber juice.

Hmmm....I've been drinking whey protein shakes for a month or so now....for health reasons, weight loss, etc, not for my hair....and I've also been taking MSM for that long, and I've gotten more growth. Not sure if it's the MSM or protein or both. :D

Congrats on the extra growth. Just keep doing what you are doing!

blah, soda... that is something I'd love to cut out of my diet. Think I should too, most recommend it be cut out or severely limited for overall health reasons. Besides, the less soda I drink means the more water or other healthy things drink! However, I love my diet sunkist and diet dr. pepper.

Yes I am hooked to my dt. pepsi ....bad habit.

plainjanegirl
November 27th, 2008, 08:59 AM
My hair absolutely loves it when I drink soy.

What does it do for your hair? Do you drink one a day or not that often?

rymorg2
November 27th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Congrats on the extra growth. Just keep doing what you are doing!

Thanks! :D I'm thrilled. Hoping it continues......

pdy2kn6
November 27th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Umm... Water?

Not too much water tho. too much can flush away all your minerals/vitamins in your body with serious consequences detrimental to your health!!

vampodrama
November 27th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I drink nettle tea on a fairly regular basis. It is high in iron and I've been told good for the blood and kidneys in particular, thus -- good for hair. I haven't noticed a difference in growth or anything, and unless you like the taste of grass, and need this herb for other health issues, I wouldn't try it.

according to the herbal medicine knowledge in my country, you shouldn't drink nettle tea for a longer period than three weeks, because while it is good for the blood, a longer period can mess up your blood clotting. (makes your blood too thick, basically)

be careful and take breaks. other than that, nettle is very beneficial in cleansing blood, and it contains a lot of vitamins.

marajade
November 27th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I was recently told that soy or whey protein shakes are good for your hair. One older lady who had thinning hair was told to use it and also someone who had had weight loss surgery was losing hair and told to use it. I have also heard that drinking the jello mix before it sets up is good for hair too. So does anybody drink anything for hair and if so what and how often and what have been your results?

I tried drinking Knox. It smells and tastes like wet dog. There are a lot of things I do for my hair now, but that's not one of them. I do have protein powder, that I mix as snacks, and its great for your hair. Recently, I went to health food store and they make soft gelatin pills which is great, because they don't smell like wet dog, ick.

chrissy-b
November 27th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Oh, thank you very much for the information, vampodrama. I had no idea! :) I'll be more watchful over how much and when I drink it from here on out.

florenonite
November 27th, 2008, 10:48 AM
BEER! I don't go to the pub for the company or the drink, I go there for my poor hair that needs the nutrients from the pint (or more :P) I imbibe.

JuneBride
September 30th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Green Monsters with Protein Powder: a handful of spinach (wilted), a cup of milk (any kind...cow, soy, almond, etc...I usually use vanilla soy), one banana plus the scoop of vanilla protein powder. It literrally tastes like a vanilla milkshake (YOU DO NOT TASTE THE SPINACH AT ALLLLL) and it is good for you and your hair ;)

See: www.GreenMonsterMovement.com

CourtneyBee
September 30th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Green Monsters with Protein Powder: a handful of spinach (wilted), a cup of milk (any kind...cow, soy, almond, etc...I usually use vanilla soy), one banana plus the scoop of vanilla protein powder. It literrally tastes like a vanilla milkshake (YOU DO NOT TASTE THE SPINACH AT ALLLLL) and it is good for you and your hair ;)

See: www.GreenMonsterMovement.com

I second this, green smoothies every breakfast and lunch!

2peasinapod
September 30th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I drink green smoothies, too! :D Also lots of green tea.

Karala
October 1st, 2010, 03:53 AM
beer! :beerchug:

just look at all the metal people - they drink loads of beer and all of them have long hair!

lol!! that is so true! Could there be any serious scientific explanation to back that up?

(OS: it annoys me sooo much when I see a GUY with hair longer and a hundred times prettier than mine... sheesh :rolleyes: :D )

JenniferNoel
October 1st, 2010, 06:47 AM
Herbal root beer and other vitamin rich natural diet sodas!

Denebi
October 1st, 2010, 07:02 AM
I second the beer option! :)

I like wheat beer and besides the vitamins it also contains a lot of yeast which is known for supporting hair growth. Er, and I like the taste ;)

Beatrix_Kiddo
October 1st, 2010, 07:32 AM
I tried to drink lots of water, but I don't like it. Water here is really hard and I don't want to spend money on bottle water. So, I prefer to consume yogurt (homemade) and milk.

Quahatundightu
October 1st, 2010, 07:35 AM
The hot chocolates they sell here in Switzerland are like super fortified :D I buy one that has biotin and stuff like that for my hair! I am terrible at taking vitamins so it works much better for me :) Who can say no to the chocolate..??? :D

luxepiggy
October 1st, 2010, 07:55 AM
When I was a kid, my mom always drank this Chinese sweet black sesame hot drink that was supposed to help prevent grey hairs. I doubt that's actually true, but I love the taste so I drink it anyway (^(oo)^)v

angelfell
October 1st, 2010, 08:23 AM
I don't necessarily go out of my way to buy food or drink for my hair, but if I'm trying to eat/drink healthy anyways, I'll take a peek at the nutrition label, and look at the vitamins and all, and if I see something that I think may benefit my health and hair growth, I'll likely pick that.

JuneBride
October 1st, 2010, 10:40 AM
I don't necessarily go out of my way to buy food or drink for my hair, but if I'm trying to eat/drink healthy anyways, I'll take a peek at the nutrition label, and look at the vitamins and all, and if I see something that I think may benefit my health and hair growth, I'll likely pick that.

WOW, look at your growth!!! Congrats!!!

Chestershire
October 1st, 2010, 03:15 PM
Water. It's good for everything so it will definitely do good for my hair too :)

angelfell
October 1st, 2010, 03:29 PM
WOW, look at your growth!!! Congrats!!!

Hey thanks :D!

jeanniet
October 1st, 2010, 03:43 PM
I have a hempshake for breakfast most days, which has protein and a lot of amino acids in it, and to be honest, I don't think it's made diddly-squat worth of difference to my hair (which isn't why I drink them anyway). Actually when my diet's been really, really good (no processed food, lots of veggies and fruit, charting my nutrient intake), I don't think it's made a difference, either. I'm taking biotin and MSM and don't see much change except maybe less shedding.

moonkitty
October 1st, 2010, 05:22 PM
It's not exactly a drink, but I made an herbal tincture out of Horsetail/Shavegrass that I try to take daily. I mixed some of the high silica herb with vodka and let it sit for 6 weeks (shaking the jar every other day). I strained it and keep it in a dark jar. I take about 1-3 teaspoons daily when I remember. I learned how to make herbal tinctures from Bulk Herb Store. I also buy all my herbs from them.

little_cherry
October 1st, 2010, 05:26 PM
Water. It's good for everything so it will definitely do good for my hair too :)
I drink water for my hair and nails...it helps keep your hair and nails hydrated. :)

I also drink green tea, but mostly for antioxidants.

Nevada Rose
October 9th, 2010, 12:52 AM
I have a Jack Lalanne power juicer, and it has become my best friend. The best juice in the world is made fresh and consumed within minutes to not lose vital nutrients.

I also drink Whey Protein Powder.

Nevada Rose
October 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM
How could I forget this? I love making jello and drinking it before it goes in the fridge. Yum!

Nevada Rose
October 9th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I have a hempshake for breakfast most days, which has protein and a lot of amino acids in it, and to be honest, I don't think it's made diddly-squat worth of difference to my hair (which isn't why I drink them anyway). Actually when my diet's been really, really good (no processed food, lots of veggies and fruit, charting my nutrient intake), I don't think it's made a difference, either. I'm taking biotin and MSM and don't see much change except maybe less shedding.

Your hair looks pretty shiny and healthy to me.