PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles suitable for school

goldenwaves
November 26th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I'm 16, and find many of the hairstyles on the boards too mature/adult-looking for me. I struggle to find interesting, hair-friendly, do-able hairstyles for school! I'm sick of the boring ponytail, and it's not too good for hair health anyway! I thought we teens (and, of course, anyone else who would like to be involved!) could start a thread with hairstyles mroe suited to our age group!

OK, first suggestion: half-plait. I did this the other night and it turned out quite well I think!
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll106/jess2707_album/Halfplaitsmall.jpg

I'm not sure about anyone else, but at my school we're not allowed to leave our hair out! It sucks, but I suppose it's better for your hair health...?

I'd love to hear other suggestions, comments, rants and opinions! :)

Chromis
November 26th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Buns held up by things other than hairsticks would be my suggestion unless you have fairly mature friends who aren't likely to pull them out.

Curlsgirl
November 26th, 2008, 06:23 AM
What about 2 braids? I think they look really cute! Also a messy bun or peacock twist with a cute clip. Can you french braid? I don't think they EVER go out of style.

I also love the braid in your picture! I do that a lot but braid to the end and oil the tassle.

Janka
November 26th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I find most messy styles "young styles" (whatever you define as young :))
I also find braided hair suitable for young(er) girls. BTW, your style and hair is just gorgeous!!!
Depending on what you wear, you can play with two braids, letting them start at different heights, see what you like and like ON YOU, being the mos important criteria.
Banded ponytail is age-, time- and gender-less for me. You can use different-colored elastics matching your clothes...
Or simply use a new pencil instead of a hair stick in a messier updo (but as Chromis said, beware of not-so-mature friends/classmates :))
Just try all the styles you like, even if you think they are too "adult" for you. Maybe you can tweak them a bit. Try as much as you like and see what suits you best and what is doable in the morning before school.
Enjoy and have fun :)

Drynwhyl
November 26th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I usually let it loose, but sometimes I make a plait, or two, it looks cute and a bit crazy, if you match it with all black clothes and combat boots xD
I like that suggestion about using things as hairsticks, depending on your style.
The half-bun-thingy is simple and looks nice, not too mature (the thing where you start like making a ponytail, just don't pull the hair all the way through at the last loop)

Periwinkle
November 26th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I'm totally and utterly unable to do messy styles :messy: so my hair is always too neat for my liking (the style of choice around here is layered to death and all falling out).

I normally do a braid (French or English) or a cinnabun with a bent knitting needle. I sometimes wear ponytails or folded ponytails. I've also tried cinnabuns with tiny claw clips, but my hair is just too thick, I think. I sometimes wear sticks, too.

Elainehali
November 26th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I made this style up a few days ago, and your hair looks like the perfect lenght to try it out.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15923

AnneAdeline
November 26th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure about anyone else, but at my school we're not allowed to leave our hair out! It sucks, but I suppose it's better for your hair health...?

At my school, there are no rules regarding hair (I sported blue/purple/green locks for a year). Most people just wear it free.

I find braids work very well. Two English braids or Dutch are my favorite. Or this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1743&pictureid=23549) style. Yesterday I was looking around my Lit. class and realized that everyone who had their hair up had it in a braid or two.

baobhan sith
November 26th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I've been wondering about starting this thread for ages! I'd love to try out all the amazing updo's on here, but i don't think i'd be good enough, and i'd feel really selfconcious going to school in them..

Then again, one girl at my school has tailbone and does all kinds of interesting things with hair sticks... I normally either leave it in a pony (and remake it about 10 times!), and english braid, a rope braid, a ballet bun or today i discovered i can do a propper cinnamon bun! I think. I'm hoping that's the right one.

I'd have thought french braids would look really good, but i can't do them, and don't have the time or patience every day...

teela1978
November 26th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I think doubling up things make them look a bit younger. A cinnabun looks a little mature? Do twin cinnabuns. Or infinity/figure-8 buns. An extra benefit is that with less hair you can do buns that won't work on all of your hair yet.

freznow
November 26th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I started once upon a time with a braided bun and chopsticks, it was easy, not too out there, and there are young people who wear them. I don't see how buns are 'too old'. Why do you want to be like everyone else, anyways? Be UNIQUE!!!!!!!!!! :silly:

I just wear whatever I want. Just keep trying styles, you're bound to find something that works as you want it to work.

Vitalai
November 26th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Your hair looks so soft in that braid! You could also try a rope braid or herringbone variation.

At our school, we are free to do with our hair as we please, so long as it's not distracting. I've never heard of that rule before. I really like half-up styles, but I guess you can't do those. I still wear ponytails a lot, simply because when I wake up, I'll to tired and lazy to do much else.

Messy styles are more "youthful." Girls at my school tease their hair and scrunch and pile it up into a messy bun. I think with your wavy hair, a loose cinnabun with some hair escaping would be really pretty. I have slippery straight hair that never looks good messy.

joyfulmom4
November 26th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I agree with others who've suggested that the messy updo's look youthful. I also think that styles like twin braids or ponytails are youthful. I never wear two braids or two ponys anymore. They no longer feel right on me, though I liked to wear them when I was younger and I like them on teens.

Your hair accessories make a difference. Something fun that reflects your personal style and personality can really impact the look of your hairdo. For instance, you can pull the front back on each side with a little twist for interest, then clip with two cute clips, then make a regular ponytail. Not much more difficult than the pony, but cute.

Remember that little changes like how you left your braid with a really long tassel, change the look of a style. I like your demi-braid. :) You can play around with placement of styles and how much loose hair you leave, how tightly you twist/braid them, etc. There are all sorts of ways to get different effects.

You could also do simple changes to accent simple styles, such as taking a strand of hair and wrapping it around the base of your ponytail (or braid it first and then wrap it) for an accent. Or use accent braids or twists in other ways, such as dangling down or swept back into an updo.

I think rope braids and french braids are great on young women, esp the double ones, going back from the front on each side.

You have great hair to work with. I'm sure you'll come up with great styles.

Bene
November 26th, 2008, 12:56 PM
can't go wrong with a trusty scrunchi . i'm not sure what high school girls are doing today (wow, i sound old!) but back in my time (wow, i sound even older!!!) all the girls wore scrunchies. they're totally age appropriate and they won't damage your hair.

i went to highschool, just after the grunge era, so messy buns were in. what my friends and i were doing is gather the hair into a ponytail, giving it a twist or two, depending on the length, folding it upwards loosely and tying the scrunchie around that bun/mass.

another style we used were sort of half ups? but with more snag free elastics. that is, gather the hair towards the top of your head, elastic there, thin ponytail. gather hair towards the middle of your head, elastic that there with the gathered first pony tail. all the way down your head. then elastics every inch or two down the rest of the length.

pig tails, or two braids with a deep side part.

oh, and pencils or pens holding up peacock buns. those were popular once a friend of mine figured out how to do them.

Miriela
November 26th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Eh, I live in figure-8s, infinities and braids. :shrug: I canNOT do cinnamon buns, though. They always end up as bee-butt buns (and frankly I'm not too sure what the difference is).

Fantak
November 26th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Periwinkle: I'm the exact opposite I can never get my hair to look tidy.. It's a good thing I seem to pull off the 'messy' look pretty well ^.^

I agree with the comments on choice of hair toys and doubling the hair style makes it look younger. If you don't like your hair looking messy keeping it loose will give a more laid back and fresh vibe.

You can also braid it on one side and have it over your shoulder or do a low side bun like Sophia Bush in this picture:
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/0/3987/34_2007/sophia.jpg
(from: http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/0/3987/34_2007/sophia.jpg)

HTH ^.^

Katahdin
November 26th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I'm a big fan of the hair stick twist thingy, it's not too formal looking, and it's really easy for those of us who aren't exactly morning people. :p

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=roL-8kqQXOw

Elainehali
November 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Periwinkle: I'm the exact opposite I can never get my hair to look tidy.. It's a good thing I seem to pull off the 'messy' look pretty well ^.^

I agree with the comments on choice of hair toys and doubling the hair style makes it look younger. If you don't like your hair looking messy keeping it loose will give a more laid back and fresh vibe.

You can also braid it on one side and have it over your shoulder or do a low side bun like Sophia Bush in this picture:
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/0/3987/34_2007/sophia.jpg
(from: http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/0/3987/34_2007/sophia.jpg)

HTH ^.^

That low puffy side bun looks AMAZING. I'm going to do this for work! thanx!!

Fantak
November 26th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I have another one of someone else somewhere *digs into hair file* aha!

http://www.gossipgirls.com/files/images/alma-awards-8178-2.preview.jpg
(from: http://www.gossipgirls.com/files/images/alma-awards-8178-2.preview.jpg)

Roselyn Sanchez with a similar 'do

goldenwaves
November 26th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks so much for all of your wonderful suggestions everyone! I'll definitely give them a try, and post pics of the many different, interesting styles I wear to school! Hope this thread helps other people who may be in the same boat as well! Thanks!

AlliKamikaze
November 27th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I'm 16, and find many of the hairstyles on the boards too mature/adult-looking for me. I struggle to find interesting, hair-friendly, do-able hairstyles for school! I'm sick of the boring ponytail, and it's not too good for hair health anyway! I thought we teens (and, of course, anyone else who would like to be involved!) could start a thread with hairstyles mroe suited to our age group!

Hey there.

I'm 17 and my school doesn't have restrictions on hairstyles (your school's restrictions are actually very surprising to me, even when I went to a catholic school the dress code wasn't that strict) but I'll try to give you some ideas if I can.

First of all, what kinds of hairstyles do you find too mature?

And second, does your school require all your hair to be up and out of your face?

Tangles
November 27th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Try a French ponytail -- make a high, tight pony, then gather more hair into a second pony, and finally secure the rest of your hair at the nape. It's fun, and you can add colored ties or ribbons for interest.

Kebbster
November 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I know what you mean about some styles looking too old, im well out of school and occasionally i do my hair and think oh my god i look like my mother!

Ive found anything where some of the hair is loose, not necessarily messy works. Any bun style leaving the ends out of it will work, ive found the sock bun pretty reliable for looking a bit more fun.

Double folded pony tails looks pretty youthful.

Could also do lots of smaller buns across the top of your head (a bit time consuming i guess, but would work)

I made up a style the other day that looked good, ive got no pictures. But basically i put my hair in a high pony, but the second pull through i left some of the hair folded (like a folded pony but with most of the hair pulled through, does that make sense). Then i split the folded bit in half and stuck 2 hairsticks in it so it got a kind of curly look up the top. I dont think i described that well, i might have to take some pics.

Masara
November 27th, 2008, 10:56 PM
When I was still at school, I could only do about 4 styles but thankfully one of them was the French braid.
It's an easy one and it doesn't look too mature. Since very few people know how to do it, you get the wow factor and it was easy to adapt (diagonally across the head, all over on one side...)

Like periwinkle, my hair doesn't do messy (or, rather it does it too well so messy styles end up looking "slept in for a week and falling out" very fast)

Isilme
November 28th, 2008, 05:34 AM
what about a bunny tail? You start out with a cinnamon bun, but before you complete the second wrap, place your fingers in the middle and wrap, then pull out the remaining tail:)
Like this http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/hair-knot/
btw, this is a great site http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/default.asp

skay
November 28th, 2008, 07:27 PM

OK, first suggestion: half-plait. I did this the other night and it turned out quite well I think!

I'd love to hear other suggestions, comments, rants and opinions! :)

Yup, you definitely have the hair for wonderful (alas sometimes mature-looking) updos!

Well, here are 2 suggestions:

1) Anime styles. Or at least "modified" anime styles so they look more "real" rather than cartoon-y.

Here's a poster full of them:

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs20/i/2007/281/4/3/hairstyles___2nd_edition__by_NeonGenesisEVARei.jpg

2) When doing a new hairstyle or updo perhaps use an accesstory such as:

scarves that are hip, trendy, cool, etc.Basically, if the accessory (scarf, ribbon, material, clips, etc.) is more trendy and cool for your age group, and it's part of your hairdo, it may offset the "mature" look of the hairstyle.

Good luck! :)

Boots
November 29th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Quiffs or twisties in front liven up a plain pony. Also, the recent post about workout hair showed a fun way of twisting the sides back; then you can do anything after that in back.

Periwinkle
December 24th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Here's instructions for a style I've been doing a lot lately. Finally, a way to do 'messy'!

The first part is very similar to my shower bun (look back at my threads and I posted a video):

1. Gather hair into a ponytail.
2. Pass the elastic over once.
3. Wrap the length around the elastic. DO NOT make a loop, as for the shower bun. Just toss it over. It doesn't matter what it looks like.
4. Pass the elastic over again.
5. Use hairpins/kirby grips/little claw clips/your weapon of choice to pin the hair flat to the head. Normally there's a sticky-up loop in the middle, and once you've fixed that, the rest falls into place quite easily.

This works even with my absurdly thick, longer-than-average hair, and looks like the styles that a lot of other people wear. If you had shorter or thinner hair, you may be able to do it without the elastic.

RedStripe
December 24th, 2008, 11:18 AM
This is an anime style I like. It looks like she leaves some of it down in the back, but you could do the bun thing with all of your hair. I think this style is adorable, but alas, at 54 I'm afraid that anime styles will just make me look silly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP_dJPUhL2A

spidermom
December 24th, 2008, 11:38 AM
O.k., well out of the desired demographic, I realize, but how about bringing all hair over one shoulder for a ponytail or braid?

enitsirk
December 24th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Two suggestions:

the 'vertical' double braids (you pull your hair together like you're going to do a half up and do a braid with that, and then another braid right underneath)

the second is the bun with pony sticking out =p

You can do that with pretty much any bun and it looks cute. Lately, I've been doing a celtic knot type of bun and leaving the excess down, but, like I said, it works with almost any bun.

BetterInBlue
December 24th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I sometimes do two low buns secured with claw clasps. It's a cute look. I agree with whomever said that dividing styles into twos often makes them look younger. I like it because dividing hair up gives less tension to my scalp than a single ponytail. I think low pigtail braids would work for someone your age. I substitute teach sometimes at the junior high level, and can't say I really pay attention to hairstyles (I glad to just survive the day). Though, there is a Pentacostal girl in a class I frequently sub that typically wears either low pigtails or a high ponytail. In just about every age range of women, the short to mid-length choppy cuts seem to be what's in to stay. :(

ladyluck
December 24th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I really like the low side ponytail idea's and thats a really good YouTube vid of the anime hair buns. Although I find it hard to get things symetrical.

Kristine
December 24th, 2008, 02:05 PM
1) Anime styles. Or at least "modified" anime styles so they look more "real" rather than cartoon-y.

Here's a poster full of them:

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs20/i/2007/281/4/3/hairstyles___2nd_edition__by_NeonGenesisEVARei.jpg

I really like some of those anime styles! I'll definitely try some of them soon.

One thing you could do to make your look less mature is to wear some cute, dangling earrings. Earrings can change your apperance quite a lot!

Dreamernz
December 25th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Being in year 12 now (I'm also 16) we are now (finally :D) allowed to leave our hair down. But yes I too wish frequently for more exciting hair styles to try out for school. I found a great website through LHC that lead me to some brilliant hairstyles that I got complimented on!:D
Here is a link to that site:
http://hairstyledictionary.ztn.net/

goldenwaves
February 3rd, 2009, 12:03 AM
Hey there.

I'm 17 and my school doesn't have restrictions on hairstyles (your school's restrictions are actually very surprising to me, even when I went to a catholic school the dress code wasn't that strict) but I'll try to give you some ideas if I can.

First of all, what kinds of hairstyles do you find too mature?

And second, does your school require all your hair to be up and out of your face?

I find neat buns too mature. I know I can do them messy but it still looks odd on my hair. Yes, unfortunately we have to have ALL of our hair up. I live in Australia so maybe it's an Australian thing :P.

Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions. They've been very helpful and I hope others have been helped too :)

florenonite
February 3rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
You say you find neat buns too mature; have you tried them at different heights? With or without a part? For instance, a bun at the nape of the neck can look more mature than one at the crown. The only buns I like on myself are ones with a side parting midway up the back of my head. Higher or lower, or with no parting, all looks either weird or too mature.

Akiko
February 3rd, 2009, 09:42 AM
I see some young girls with a neat bun on regular basis. I think they looked so nice and youthful. The bun is usually placed a little higher like florenonite says. Some girls decorate the bun with a nice ribbon, which amazingly changes the overall impression quite a bit.

xkitxgirx
February 3rd, 2009, 09:48 AM
I will be back here to post pictures. I have a new hair style I sort of made up yesterday. I'm sure it's been dine before but it's a really easy do, for those with layers. I'm not sure how it will look with unlayered hair..But all you need is a hair band(if your hairs heavy) and a clip. I'll definately be back to post pictures as I took some last night and I don't have time to post them right this second. I'm trying to come up with more hair dos for those who don't want the mature looks. I know what you mean about most of the styles here being for those that aren't in school. But I warn, my styles are a little more of a punky look..can't think of a better way to explain it..

Gingevere
February 3rd, 2009, 03:50 PM
I have a slightly different problem... I'm 17, but I look several years older and I have a hard time finding hairstyles that work for my age and appearance. Pigtail braids, for example, look ridiculous on me and I'm not very good at braiding anyway. On the other hand, many of the popular bun styles look a little out of place as well. So I try to stick with different kinds of twists and half-up styles. They seem to fit my "young adult" looks quite well. I also wear my hair down a lot.

My school's only rule regarding hair is that it must not be too "distracting" to fellow students, so I'm pretty much free to do whatever I want outside of dyeing it neon orange.

xkitxgirx
February 4th, 2009, 03:54 PM
These are my two favorite styles. Plus they both take less than five minutes to do and there is no hair spray or other products involved. The first one is a simple half bun and clip and the second is a loops ponytail and you loosely wrap the hair around it so that little pieces are still sticking out. I got the second one off some website and revised it to fit my hair better. The first one I made up myself, but I'm sure it's most likely been done before, I've just never seen it.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/oospazxx/hair/_MG_0143.jpg
This one is simple. All you need is a hair band(optional), clip, and a couple bobby pins(depends on hair, may be optional). When I do it I put my hair in a simple pony tail in the middle of the back of my head, I twist the hair so that it forms a sort of half bun(starting of bun depends on hair length, you will have to mess around a little to figure this out). Instead of tucking in the end of the bun you clip it out to the side so that it sticks out. It's sort of more of a punky look I think but you could also curl your hair if you wanted or just use a jeweled clip to make it look more nice. I have to pin the top hairs down with a bobby pin sometimes so that it doesn't fall out. You want the hair to fall above your shoulders, that way it doesn't get caught in those pesky school chairs(oh yes I remember).

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/oospazxx/hair/_MG_0099-1.jpg
This one I learned online. You make a simple small loop(leave a lot of length so that you can wrap it around the loop. I make it messy because I have layered hair and I like the messier looks, so I pull strands out all over. Bobby pin the end to keep in place. You can bobby pin both sides of the loop to round it out a little if you would like. I think I tried to bobby pin here and it didn't work on the one side.

Both of these styles are very comfortable for me, and are great for anytime of the day since they are so easy to do. The one with the clip takes me 30 seconds to do! It's sooo easy!!

sagar chotlo
September 26th, 2009, 07:35 AM
M from India.......school gals here of ur hair length wear their hair in twin braids wid ribbons at da end.......sumtimes very long haired gals bring da ends up n tie em from where da braid started

sagar chotlo
September 26th, 2009, 07:37 AM
U can also do an upside down ponytail........chk victorian hairstyles of torrin paige

GoddesJourney
September 26th, 2009, 09:58 AM
So after reading this entire thread, I have to say the low styles worn with accent earrings make fashionably youthful style.

Have you tried pulled back temples. French rope your temples a little way and then just finish roping until the connect behind your head. Tie it off and let it hang free.

Loose french braids are fun too. Put your head up on the edge of the couch so you can rest your head. Start French braiding away from your head a little so when you let if fall it will be loose. It looks very cute.

Your length would look great in some of those anime styles that someone posted although a lot of anime styles require bangs to look right (and a round or heart-shaped face).

When I was in junior high and high school, I used to do things like add an accent braid to a style I was already doing. For example, I would take a little chunk of hair from just in front of my ear on one side and braid it down and tie it off with a piece of string. Then, I would take the rest of my hair and put it through a ponytail and pull it only half way through on the last pull through.

*Fantabulous* thread idea by the way.

IStand4u
September 26th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I have the same problem kinda, except our school doesn't have any rules about hair at all, (yes I can dye it all the colors of the rainbow and I wouldn't get a talking to by the teachers). Though I prefer to wear my hair up, especially now that the weather is changing and we are getting ready for a really cold season. I usually do messy french twists, messy buns, twin braids, twin french braids, one braid to one side, a braided bun, a rope bun, or anything like that. You are now 17, so I guess us 17 year olds have to grow up sometime which makes it really hard to do hairstyles.

Just try doing different things, add a small braid here or there and pull it back, braid braids, get creative! :D I hope this helps you, and I know the thread has helped me :)

paintedmuse
September 26th, 2009, 11:22 AM
It seems unbelievable to me that there are schools which actually have rules like these!
For me it's really strange that in other countries there are so many schools where you aren't allowed to wear make-up or color your hair, or you have to wear school uniforms... That just doesn't exist here, except for private catholic schools :D
I like to wear my hair down, in a messy bun or in a braid over one shoulder (this latest will look a lot better when my hair is longer, I can't wait!). I can't wear ponytails though, they give me an instant headache.

Medievalmaniac
September 26th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I guess I'm just not sure why it's a bad thing to wear hair in a "mature" style, even as a teenager...? And I do think that hairsticks are appropriate. I know when I was in high school I put my hair up with a pencil all the time - if I'd've had or known about hairsticks then, I would TOTALLY have used them!! Maybe you could start a trend or two with hairtoys and buns/updos. There are so many amazingly pretty, sparkly hair sticks out there that are young and vibrant looking (I'm thinking Anafiassa, Aliarose, etc. etc. on Etsy) and of course there are the gorgeous sticks, like those by Nightblooming and Ravenslair - but I do think you could wear them. Maybe braid your bun or do half-ups with a braided bun held with a scrunchie or hairstick over the hair left down.

Fractalsofhair
September 26th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Well, you are 17, so a simple bun might work. A lot of girls at my school wear messy buns. Maybe use really pretty large beaded hairsticks?

Merewen
September 26th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Something cute I like is the double bee butt buns. They definitely have an air of "younger generations" about them. In fact, I wore them when we went to move my little brother into college (I just graduated college - I'm 4 years older than him) and I was continually mistaken for his younger sister. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I have no pictures. I usually secure mine with hair scroos but I'm sure that hair ties would work too.

eresh
September 26th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I made this style up a few days ago, and your hair looks like the perfect lenght to try it out.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15923

That's a really cute style! Thanks for posting this :)

eresh
September 26th, 2009, 01:03 PM
As for suggestions,
How about the "tails up" (http://www.flexi8.com/instructions.html?id=AU4xfTAk) shown on the flexi site, you can do this with any clip really :)
Or 2 buns (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=38&pictureid=40474) always are fun I think (knotted ones or odango ones (knot with a bit of ponytail hanging out of it)
A multibraids high ponytail or 2 braidloops (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=38&pictureid=6099)

eta: how about wearing your hair down, with a headband?

I too agree that sticks aren't necessarily too mature,
I for one wear childrens chopsticks, light blue with little white bunnies and orange carrots on them ;-)

eta2: I see the videolink to the tails up didn't work, click the video on the sidebar of that site on the right :-)

Quixii
September 26th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I've been wondering the same thing!
I do a ponytail every day. D:
Lately I've tried a regular braid and then my friend's hair style where you twist all your hair, tie it in a knot, wrap the end and secure it with a claw clip.
Once it gets to winter, I'm thinking of trying two braids with a hat and such. And I really want to master the rope braid.
Braids seem to be "in" at my school. There are so many girls with a crown braid or braid or French braid or what not. It is very common to leave it down, though. (We don't have restrictions on hair.)

adiapalic
September 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
My favorite "youthful" hairdo that I do is a loose, high equilibrium bun held up with my hair fork. It's super messy, comfortable, and stays in place forever.

I think some double french braids in your hair would look cute too.

Luckysock
September 26th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Sorry don't have a style suggestion, just wanted to say that you have lovely hair! I love the colour and the soft wave! gorgeous!

JamieLeigh
September 30th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I'm in between teen and thirty, lol. Any of the updos on this site can look more youthful if you leave a bit of the ends out like you would a messy bun. And if you use curlers in the ends that you leave out, it can look like a whole new style. :)

Rentlle
September 30th, 2009, 10:51 AM
hey, I'm 17.
sure you can find some inspiration in my album :)
I do wear hairsticks, my friends like them, serveral bought ones themselves :p

LittleOrca
September 30th, 2009, 10:57 AM
When I wore this one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal/photos/fb1785d45a87a96e660872f9ca0766da.jpg) for the first time, I was told I looked like a teenager. (Not that I am too far off from those days.) There are instructions here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=136)if you like.

may1em
September 30th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Unfortunately, my hair was never longer than shoulder in high school - but I seem to recall a lot of messy buns and peacock twists. Or I'd do pigtail half-ups, or separate out the front section of my hair and make a retro bun/twist/roll with it. Or two tiny half-up buns.

For longer hair - making a bun and pulling the tail through is cute and young-looking. Secure with sticks. TorrinPaige has a bunch of fun braids on YouTube as well.

WritergirlAD
September 30th, 2009, 01:57 PM
When I wore this one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal/photos/fb1785d45a87a96e660872f9ca0766da.jpg) for the first time, I was told I looked like a teenager. (Not that I am too far off from those days.) There are instructions here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=136)if you like.

ooh, that's really cute! I'll have to try it sometime. :cheese:

I'm 18, and I love wearing hairstick buns, and braids. There are all kinds of fun looking hairsticks and clips out there, and if you wear them with a messy bun, it won't look too mature, I don't think. Check youtube, too, there are lots of videos on different styles there. And of course there are tons of great suggestions in this thread. You have really beautiful hair, so I'm sure whatever styles you decide to wear to school with be fine. :)

dreamsofnorns
September 4th, 2010, 10:34 PM
braids (french or otherwise) are usually good for school if you want your hair out of the way and not in a ponytail. you could also do a bun (if you have PE you might want to make sure you aren't doing sit ups or something where you have to have your head flat against the floor). I usually do a half up braid for everything... everyday, church, graduation... I hope this helps :)