PDA

View Full Version : First Time Longhairs Club!

Katze
November 26th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I don't think there has been anything like this, so I wanted to put a shout out to all the rest of you who are growing your hair long for the first time, and what your experience is. I'll go first.

How long is your hair? Is it longer than it's ever been before?

Mine is BSL, and this is a record for me. Family have already commented on it, since I only ever had damaged, bleached, shoulder-length-ish hair.

What's the most surprising thing you are discovering?

That I actually like my hair's color and texture! I spent so many years fighting both, not knowing that 1) my hair is a pretty color on its own, and 2) that I have waves! My hair's tendency to look stringy and wispy is something I am still battling.

How much longer would you like to grow?

As long as I can, but I would be really happy with an untapered, blunt hemline at waist. Given that my hair tapers severely from the neck down, I have a while to go even though "official" waist is only 3 inches away.

How come you never had long hair before?

I guess I thought it was too much work.

Stylists always told me it was "too thin to grow", then proceeded to cut more layers into it to make it "look thicker." Knowing better now, I am confident that my thickness will eventually move down and my hair will look OK on the ends, too.

What are the biggest things you've learned, or what's helped your hair the most?

Moisture! I always thought that greasy roots and a sensitive scalp meant I needed to not use conditioner. Now I know I can mist and use leave-in on the ends, and my hair is in much better shape. Today, after my swim, I plan on doing an SMT, which I haven't in a while but which was another big rescuing factor for my hair.

Stopping the chemicals and the heat. I do occasionally "blow-damp", but only after swimming or if I am otherwise going to leave the house with damp hair. I am proud to say I don't own a curling iron anymore, and have not bleached, dyed, highlighted, streaked, foiled, sun-in-ed, or otherwise chemically treated my hair since 2006.

Limited brushing. Forget 100 strokes a night - that gave me dandruff, greasy hair, and killed my waves. Now I only brush (BBB) before washing, and otherwise use a comb.

ChocoholicBec
November 26th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Good idea! I'll give it a go.

Mine is hip-length at its longest (it has a slight taper, more a slight U than a V) and I have never had it this long before - in fact, before I started growing it, the longest I had ever had it was APL - barely.

That I look better as a redhead than as a blonde, even though my natural colour is blonde.
That my hair goes into ringlets when it's damp.
That my hair actually isn't thin, no matter how much my mum convinced me that it was when I was young and determined to grow my hair out.

As long as I can! At least classic-length if possible, preferably knee-length or longer.

My mum told me it was "too thin and fine to grow long" and it would "go limp". That's basically the only reason.

What are the biggest things you've learned, or what's helped your hair the most?

Biggest thing I've learnt? How to do super-quick plaits. A single side-plait is my default hairdo, unless I've just washed it or am going somewhere special. I didn't know how to plait hair until I was thirteen, though.
Most helpful things? Going cone-free (cones made my hair really limp and lifeless), going sulphate free (SLS and ALS both made my scalp break out) and using conditioner (because I never used to)

Also in the latter category: Using BBBs and cutting out heated appliances from my "hair diet", although I never used them much to begin with.

rapunzhell13
November 26th, 2008, 05:33 AM

The longest my hair's ever been is APL and I'm not quite there yet.

I can't think of a single thing! :eek:

BSL and beyond!

I would always self-sabotage.

Benign neglect!

Monsterkitti
November 26th, 2008, 05:41 AM

BSL and yes it is probably as lonmg now as its ever been.

That my hair likes honey and it isnt a pain to rinse out!

Im thinking more and more about Classic but waist is my next goal.

I get bored of it seemly not growing and cut it all off.

No heat. I havent used my starighteners for months now and I was using it daily before.

Finger combing only, much less breakage :)

Wearing it up much more in hair friendly ways too, no more super tight elastics for me :)

Soapnuts have really cut my shedding during washing

Oiling! SMTs!

Samitra
November 26th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I started growing just a couple of months ago, but here I go:

At the moment it's brushing my shoulders, but my shortest layers are chin-lenght. I used to have APL when I was younger, but never longer. I hope to reach that lenght in a year or so... Maybe then I'll feel like a long hair :)

That my hair does have volume, and that it's so soft. And that I, for the first time in my life, doesn't give up growing. I've tried to grow a few times when I was younger, but after two months or so, I went to the hair dresser and got myself a new, short and layered, cut.

As long as I can! I'll go for classic if my terminal lenght will allow it.

My mother and all the stylists I've seen have always told me that I desperatly needed volume in my hair, and that only shorter hair could do the trick and make me pretty.
And when I was 13 I decided never to dye my hair, or to do anything of the sort, so the only thing I could do to with my hair was to try new cuts. Which I did, frequently.

The biggest thing I've learned? That conditioner is good for the hair, that it doesn't make the hair greasy. I believed this for ten years.
What's helped my hair the most? That I stopped using products with silicones, and that I stopped backcombing to obtain that volume I apparently didn't have. Oh, and that I stopped brushing my hair so aggressively, and rip through the tangles...

Curlsgirl
November 26th, 2008, 06:05 AM
How long is your hair? Is it longer than it's ever been before? My hair is about 30 inches, 2 inches short of waist about but that's when stretched. It has about 4 inches curly to waist. Before when I was in 7th or 8th grade it was probably to the top of BSL, longest it had ever been.

My hair actually looks better curly! Also that I don't have to brush and actually it's BETTER not to!

At least to waist curly but hoping it will grow on from there. Don't think I would want below tailbone curly.

How come you never had long hair before?I had no idea how to take care of it. I blew it and ironed it and brushed it. :shudder:

What are the biggest things you've learned, or what's helped your hair the most?Stopping the brushing, the benefits of a good leave-in and leaving cones off and reducing the amount of heat.

Arctic
November 26th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I'll join, but I'll answer the Qs later. Great idea!

MsBubbles
November 26th, 2008, 06:29 AM
How long is your hair?
25.5" - right at BSLbut not past it.

Is it longer than it's ever been before? It is about to be when I get to 26", I believe, judging by old photos.

What's the most surprising thing you are discovering? that my hair WILL grow beyond BSL, that I probably DO have the genes for that after all.

How much longer would you like to grow? If I get to waist with blunt ends I will consider my hair growing goals achieved...however...I am tempted to yearn after hip or tailbone length...

How come you never had long hair before? ditto what Katze said: people (family, stylists) always said my hair is so thin & flat that I needed a perm/layers/highlights to give it 'body'. I wish I had found this website or others like it a long time ago.

What are the biggest things you've learned, or what's helped your hair the most? C-W-C, and not to be afraid of the big, bad updo. I never wore my hair up before because my head looks tiny (tall body, flat hair, little head). Now I don't care if I look like a dinosaur, because I'm protecting my hair!

Elanor
November 26th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I'm a little past BSL, and my hair is now probably 2-3 inches longer than it's ever been.

This is going to be a long list. I have been such a hair idiot before, so there have been lots of changes during the last year or so.
Now that I've switched to CO washings, gentle handling (no brushing or blow-frying) and started using oils and leave-in, I've noticed that my hair can be soft and shiny and it actually has some nice wave in it :heart: With more gentle products it actually stays clean longer and I've noticed that my scalp isn't really oily after all.

Waist is my goal, but when I get there I might want to try hip.

For the last couple of years my hair has been between SL and BSL with layers. I thought longer hair would make it look really flat so I never wanted to try it. (But that was when I still washed my hair with harsh shampoo and used coney conditioners, so no wonder my roots bacame oily rather fast and my hair flattened easily..)

CO-washings (I only use SLS shampoo about once a month to clarify), and looong deep treatments, air drying, oils and protective updos. Couldn't cope without any of those any more.

Periwinkle
November 26th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Great thread! There are some really interesting responses here.

My hair is waist *just* when straight and a few inches below BSL when not. This is the longest it's ever been; the second-longest would probably be somewhere between APL and BSL, though I would have been younger and so that would be a shorter length than it is for me now.

I, yes, ME, can actually do stuff with my hair! Prior to joining LHC, I wore my hair in a ponytail 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. Now, even though I don't wear it down, I can do lots of different styles with it and I even enjoy it! I'm amazed that at the beginning o the year, even a bun was beyond me, and now every day my friends stare at my hair in amazement and say, 'how do you DO that?'.

My first goal is solid waist, because there's where properly long hair starts for me. Classic is listed as my ultimate goal, but really I don't know. I've come to realise that the fun for me isn't in having long hair, but the journey to get there, so who knows?

When I first started going to school, my mum always tied my hair back for me, and then when I could do it myself, I kept doing it. Now I can't stand to have my hair down! People always told me that there was no point in having long hair if I wasn't going to wear it down, and also that I could never grow my hair long, and I just decided to believe them. I kept cutting to shoulder and getting layers in the belief that this would miraculously make me wear it down (wonder why that never happened, hehe) and then letting it grow out and then cutting it and letting it grow (unintentional benign neglect rather than deliberate growing; probably the only reason I don't have a lot of heat damage is that I really, really can't be bothered).

Shampooing scalp only, combing rather than brushing 27 million times a day, and oiling.

Arcana
November 26th, 2008, 09:10 AM
This is nice, it's great to hear from others who haven't had long hair for a really long time already.

Mine is BSL curly, midback-ish when pulled straight. This is the longest I've ever had it.

I can go a lot longer between trims now that I know how to take care of my hair than I thought would be possible without a lot of split ends. I used to get it trimmed every few months.

I'd love for my hair to be waist length curly, but that might take quite awhile. That's the discouraging thing about curls, I love them, but it takes a long time to see the length.

When I was young I was a tomboy and kept it really short, and in middle school, and most of high school it was probably APL or so, and it wasn't even curly for most of that time. I never really felt the need or desire to have long hair, and I certainly didn't know how to care for my hair, but more recently I've been loving the look and feel of it and I've been learning to care for it, and I've finally decided to officially start growing.

No sulfates and no cones! My hair is much healthier now, and it's less frizzy which iI love. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to balance getting enough moisture (which my hair adores and needs) and getting too much moisture which makes my hair limp.

AnneAdeline
November 26th, 2008, 09:50 AM
It's about 3 inches from waist. It has never been this long before. The closest it got was maybe two years ago, a bit above BSL. But that hair was very damaged. Now my hair is healthy and long.

I may have a few waves! Trying to find a routine to emphasize what few I have.

Waist was my original goal, but now I'm thinking TB. Above all, I want the ends to look nice.

It always got to a certain point and I didn't know how to take care of it. Tangles ensued. Scissors followed.

Patience! Hair takes a long time to grow. There is nothing to do to speed it up. Along the way I have learned to braid my hair in many cool styles. And my hair loves Jojoba oil. It makes it so shiny.

spidermom
November 26th, 2008, 10:05 AM

This is the longest my hair has ever been, upper tailbone length.

Sometimes long hair is a pain in the butt.

I want it to pass my hiney and touch my thighs.

I had no patience. I'd grow it from short for about two years, then get mad because it wasn't down to my thighs yet. "I've been growing my hair for YEARS," I'd say, "and it still isn't long." Then I'd get it cut.

Patience. Also the CWC washing method using diluted shampoo. My ends still feel great (most of them); they used to dry out badly. Of course I used to use curling irons, which probably accounts for the dryness more than my S&C routine. I'd clamp my hair around that sizzling hot metal barrel and count to 10 to get a good curl. My poor hair! I'd use straightening irons, too. So no heat styling; that's a biggie, too.

Philomela
November 26th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Solid TB length -- that is, longest it's ever been. Before, my record was waist-to hip (even so just once during early teenage years).

What a tremendous self-esteem booster long hair can be, even though everything else may fall to pieces around you.

At least knees, but with well-kept hemline.

Although I took good care of it even then (not much has changed in my routine for years and years, actually), I wasn't aware of any updos, so my hair always ended up being put in a ponytail

BBB - it has imparted a lot of shine, has made my ends soft and manageable, and has cured my dandruff

Shypii90
November 26th, 2008, 10:33 AM

My hair is generally full of natural layers, so each strand of hair reaches a different point! So in the front it's chin-length, at the back it's approaching APL! (pulled straight, and wet). It's more than double the longest length I ever had in the past.

That growth doesn't show. In my opinion my hair's looked the same for 6 months, but I look back at photos and it does seem a BIT shorter. Now it takes 2-3 months for a curl to grow. The sides of my hair at the back are shoulder length, but because they're so curly, they just stick out at 30 degrees from horizontal, and seem to end abruptly after 3 inches.
And that I'm liking curls. 3 years ago this was unheard of!
And that I'm liking my natural colour. Ditto.

Classic length. I hope my terminal length will allow for it. It will take a bit longer due to needed trims in the future, because the last 2 inches of my hair have experienced ammonia twice (chemical hair dyes). Ouch.
So I'm expecting it to happen in 10 years? Since my hair's so curly.

I didn't know how to take care of it, and it was a mortal sin to school authorities, bosses, and family for a boy to have long hair. I have curly hair which is prone to drying; and hence, frizz. Tangles were CRAZY painful (sometimes, they still are). Hairdressers ripped through the tangles! And they always cut much more than I asked (when I was growing out my hair and still went to hairdressers). Family and friends are convinced I look a hundred times better with short, straightened hair (I don't get it, I don't agree at all!)

This treatment I use once a month, made of 2 eggs, 2 spoons of olive oil and 2 spoons of honey. It really works :)
No-cones.
Wash hair as little as possible. I wash it once a week now. I try to wet it once - twice a week. But by the end of that week, my hair is EXTREMELY tangled, but the curls are well defined and nice! Frizziness is almost uncontrollable; I try not to use gel or hairspray because I wash my hair so infrequently.
I've learnt to handle tangles gently, even in my worst moods.
I've also learned how to stick up for myself when it comes to hair. Nobody can convince me to cut it. In fact, everyone just gives up telling me to cut it. I win :)

ETA: NEVER comb my hair. It's too curly. I also brush it with a BBB once every 3 weeks? It kills the curl and replaces it with major frizz! Yay not!

RavennaNight
November 26th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I will also join.

1. My hair is between BSL & Waist, the longest it's ever been before is between APL & BSL.
2. I am discovering that my hair is starting to enter a length where it is becoming practical to put it up for day-to-day stuff. I NEVER thought I would feel that way. At work, it needs to be up or it's in the way. I am also surprised I haven't gotten sick yet from not blowdrying in the cold weather.
3.How much longer? My current goal is TB. After that, we'll see... Classic is beautiful, but I don't know or even think it will make it there from all the chemiical dyeing I used to do. The condition has improved greatly, though.
4.I never had long hair before because it was bleached and it would be fried, or I would just change my hair drastically. When I was little, my mom kept my hair really short for practicality :(.
5. I would also have to say scalp-only washings,and less frequent washings, coconut oil & aloe gel, no flatironing,

Shufro
November 26th, 2008, 02:57 PM
About 65 cm. Ive recently cut 5 cm so it was 70 cm. The longest ive had was like i have now, it was when i was 6 years old.

That im able to grow hair fast. My hair grows about 1,5 cm per month. And that I look better in long hair than in short.

I want my hair to go to my hips and thats my goal.

I have always cut my hair because I have alot of hair then. But now when im older i can handle it myself and i try to keep it as healthy and fresh as possible so I can grow long hair.

Olive oil on the lengths, not colouring my hair and not using any warm tools. Not using hairproducts to often.

Arctic
November 26th, 2008, 03:46 PM

My hair is at APL (armpit length) and yes, I believe it's longest it has ever been before. I used to be dye-hard (pun intended) short hair, I loved all kinds of short styles and my hair went from pixie to bob to shoulder to pixie (etc) my whole life. When I was child it was about shoulder length and my first pixie was cut when I was about 10 years or so. I also have dyed my hair sinse I was about 12 years old, which didn't help my hair. I often chopped it because the ends just were so bad (or I thought so because I didn't know about clarifying and pampering it.). Oh I'm rambling ahead of time!

Well I was very surprised that my hair became wavy after few weeks of membership here. I still don't know what caused it. It took a while to get used to the waves.

Also I wasn't sure if my hair COULD grow longer than shoulder length, but it's growing nicely now that I let it! :) I was cutting most of my growth before.

That my scalp is über sensitive and I possibly have SD (not diagnosed). Often my hair seems to like everything I do to it but my scalp reacts negatively, so I have had to be creative and find treatments that both my hair and scalp like :)

My dream hair is down to my hips, I plan to let it fairytale from waist down. My dream colour is unnatural cool red, which I'm working on. Though I lately have found I'm also tempted to grow out my real colour. Well see!

Well I had thinnish and straight, limp hair, and everyone said I couldn't grow it. I loved (and still do) short styles so it didn't bother me much but every now and then I talked to my friends or stylist about it and everyone said it couldn't grow. I subconsciously believed them. (My hair has got stronger and thicker now and wavy.) Like I said before I was a "short haired person" at heart. There were times though when I longed for long hair for a change. (I have always loved braiding and making hair-dos etc.)

I also used regularly chemical colours and not only on roots, they made my ends rather bad.

I also have been too scissor happy in the past and still have hard time to trim only little.

Clarifying: learning to recognise the symptoms of build-up in my hair. (Thank you Aisling!)

Even though I have always used conditioner, I didn't use enough, I didn't give enough moisture to my hair. I thought, I guess, that greasy hair doesn't need much conditioning. I used two bottles of shampoo per one bottle of conditioner. Now it's more like ten bottles of conditioner per one bottle of shampoo :laugh:

So realizing that oily hair need moisture and GASP! that oiling is good for my hair even though it's oily itself. It took me a while of getting used to the thought of oiling but once I tried it I was sold. Oiling has made lot of good for my hair.

Henna...

Hair sticks. And much more :D

Euphony
November 26th, 2008, 04:14 PM
My hair is long enough to tuck almost an inch into the back pocket of my jeans (I figured that out the other day :D ). It is longer than it's ever been, before this I couldn't get past bsl.

That I actually have pretty hair. There's not something wrong with it - wavy is a texture. I do not have straight hair that freaks out and gets wild.

My first goal is to get to solid tail bone and then let the layers catch up. Not sure if I'll continue to grow longer then or not.

I didn't know how to take care of my hair. I brushed it viciously from the top to the bottom several times a day with a plastic vent brush. That caused my hair to be pulled out from the root and/or be broken. My hair was too fragile to grow past bsl.

HENNA!!! I get to have this wonderful auburn color I'd been trying for years to get out of a bottle and finally gave up on. Now I can have it and it's beneficial to my hair to boot!

I also learned that my thick hair is not a freak of nature. That hair jewelry does exist that will accommodate it.

Hair soap is incredible! It got rid of what I thought was dandruff - though I do get dandruff every fall still, but at least it's real dandruff not dry scalp.

helen2806
November 26th, 2008, 04:33 PM

Just short of BSL, longest it's ever been was earlier this year but that was only a couple of inches longer than now. That was the longest it had ever been by far before then.

That the longer it gets, the more compliments I seem to get. I thought I would get 'your hair's getting too long' comments, but luckily I was wrong

Somewhere around waist length, but I'll have to see how it suits me as I'm quite short so don't want to risk looking swamped by my own hair!

My mum never wanted me to when I was younger, because I've always had thick wavy hair so it would have been a lot more hassle. Then I just got used to having it shortish until a couple of years ago when I decided to grow

Oiling definitely, especially now it's basically winter because I spend a lot of the day walking around outside so my hair is pretty vulnerable to damage

backtolonghair
November 26th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks for starting this! :)

Shoulder length/ Well, it was really long in hs.. about tailbone. Then I chopped it off, to fit in. :( So, this will be an attempt of getting my hair long again.. haven't had it really long in years..

That I am really enjoying the growing out process. I thought I wouldn't at all.. But I am learning how to enjoy the journey of watching it grow and learning how to different hair styles between the stages. :)

at least BSL.... but who knows I might even go to waist??

I've had long hair, but it's been awhile and it feels like forever since I've had it... probably 10 years! So, this isn't the first time, but it sure feels like it in some ways!

Not cutting it! lol :p But seriously yes, not cutting it was one of the things I learned to help me grow it out faster. That and making sure that my hair stays moisterized so it doesn't get dried out and frizzy. I love learning about all the different recipes on here! Thanks! :)

DragonLady
November 26th, 2008, 07:37 PM

33.5 inches last time DH measured for me. I think it's "can I call this hip lenght" at the very longest part. Yes, this is the longest it's ever been.

Since coming here? Catnip, Monistat, Honey, Eggs.... I'm not sure which is more suprising.

But I know for a fact now that I love long hair! Seeing the pictures here of long, lovely, cared for locks has been one the nicest surprises I've ever had, as I'd always been led to believe that really long hair is always dirty, always unhealthy, and only wanted by those with issues. So, I never had the guts to pipe up and say "I think I'd love to have long, long hair" even though it's always been in the back of my mind.

All the way to rediculous. I'd really like a braid that reaches clear to my ankle bone, but that would mean hair long enough to drag, so I'm not sure -probably have to be a bit more realistic. My stated goal is 70", which is just a couple of inches from the floor. Of couse, I have no idea if my genes will allow it. No one in my family has ever had hair as long as mine is now, so I may hit terminal any day now.

I've wanted to grow it out several times. But everytime I've gotten to mid-back, it's been straggly and crispy and just didn't look real good. So I'd let someone convince me I needed to cut it. Then I kept it at 2" long for years, because I thought it looked more "professional". I was led to believe I couldn't look serious and educated if I had hair hanging off my head, so I just kept it all chopped off.

Several things:

1) This site. Reading about everyone's experiences and learning to understand what my hair is and why it is the way it is has done so much for me. Honestly, it's changed my whole self-image in some subtle but powerful ways.

Before, everyone saw my hair as my failure to take care of myself. They thought "growing it out" was synonymous with "not spending the time or effort or money on myself to get a nice hair cut". Now, I stand up for myself, and make them understand that my hair is this way because it's my choice, and that I believe it's the best choice for me. I'm not depressed or careless about myself or my body, and I do want to look the way I feel the best. As a result, they gain some measure of respect for what I'm doing, and that makes me feel better about myself and my choices.

2) Conditioner. Lots and lots and lots of it. I never used it much before, as it never seemed to have any real effect. Now, I use it before I shampoo, leave it on for a full 15 minutes before I wash, and dilute my shampoo with it. I keep a bit in a spray bottle to spritz on in the mornings when I detangle, and my hair is happier than it's ever been. I've experiemented with several different brands now, and discovered the cheaper stuff (V05, Suave, etc) is just as good as the expensive stuff, so I buy cheap and slather it on with glee. :)

3) My horn comb. It's really helped to cut down my split ends. I started using catnip, too, but only a couple of weeks ago (too soon to see any results). I've already made a lot of progress toward keeping my ends healthier just by getting rid of all the hair-torturing combs and brushes I used to use everyday.

Raven69
November 26th, 2008, 08:20 PM

My current length is classic! Yeah! :cheese: Yes this is the longest I have ever, ever had my hair!

That I actually like my hair's color and texture! I spent so many years fighting both, not knowing that 1) my hair is a pretty color on its own, and 2) that I have waves/curls! My hair's tendency to look crispy and coarse-like (well the ends really) is something I am still battling.

As long as I am alive, but I would be really happy with an untapered, blunt hemline at ankle. Given that my hair tapers severely from waist down, I have roughly 5-10 inches to go till I am knee length.

When I was living at home (a kid) my parents never let me grow my hair longer than BSL because they didn't like long hair and thought it was ugly - and didn't think I could get take care of it if it was any longer. Then I joined the military and they chopped it off super short and have been growing it out since.

I am still uncertain, but what's helped me to keep growing my hair out was my stubbornness cause everyone always bugged me about my bun being too big or too messy or not 'clean cut' or some other thing. So due to my job, I really didn't have time to think about my hair much, used to trim it once or twice a year, now I haven't been to a stylist since 2005. Over the years I just sort of fell into a routine of either washing it every day/every other day and putting it up in a bun, then letting it down to dry and either putting it in a braid or a messy bun after wards. I have dyed it strawberry blond, highlighted it several times, and did one low light but now I am just trying to grow out the dye now.

Katze
November 27th, 2008, 08:48 AM
glad to see there are more of us out there! :)

I wonder how many of you were always told your hair wouldn't get long, or would look terrible if it did - and how many of those are fine-haired people. There seems to be a real misunderstanding out there about fine hair, which I am trying to correct all the time. Even my mother-out-law still always comments that I should not wear my hair down, it's too thin! But I don't listen to her; she has a boy haircut. :D

Arctic
November 27th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I wonder how many of you were always told your hair wouldn't get long, or would look terrible if it did - and how many of those are fine-haired people.

I had really really fine and thin hair when I was younger, it has gotten bit thicker both the individual hairs and the overall thickness. Part of it is henna, but how much, I don't know since I haven't seen my natural hair in years, only few centimeter of roots at a time. Also after my hair got wavy it looks more thick.

So yes, finey here who was told my hair wouldn't grow :)

peachrose
November 27th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Currently by hair is just BSL when straight and about an inch and a half past APL wavy. This is the longest I've ever had my hair. When I was young it was about SL but I had pixie/chin length for ages during my teens.

That I adore my long hair! I've always admired it on others and been jealous because I wanted it so bad but lacked the knowledge and encouragement to get it for myself! I am surprised my how much having a hair goal and caring for my hair contributes to my happiness. I love taking care of it, doing long SMT's, and trying different updos. It's always a little pick me up if I had a rough day to let down the length and see how long it's grown. And-I am shocked that even at only BSL my little niece is certain I am a princess!

My mom (who has shiny, straight easy hair) always told me I had awful, unfortunate hair (nice, I know). I think that really made me discouraged about ever growing it long. I have extremely thick hair and people would always comment on it (in a negative way), especially hair stylists... Eventually I just had to make up my mind that I know what is good for my hair and that thick, thick hair is perfect for growing really long!

It's funny because before I found LHC I used to put some olive oil on my hair and people thought I was crazy! Since reading and learning here I've discovered that shea butter is best for my hair. So I guess I always knew that oiling works well for my hair. ACV has also been great for my scalp and for giving my hair great shine.. Wearing it in braids to sleep and doing regular S&D sessions have been great as well. Also I always keep in mind that this is the shortest my hair ever has to be from now on, that helps when I am feeling impatient. :blossom:

memee1978
November 27th, 2008, 05:14 PM
i finally consider my hair long.im waist length now.but i want to be full waist length....and in the near future,maby tailbone or hip length.:)

memee1978
November 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM
your hair is georgeous!!!!!

Midnightluna
November 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM
How long is your hair? Is it longer then it's ever been before?

My hair is a couple inches past bsl, and I think this is the longest it has ever been.

Well, with the help of this site I've learned that honey can lighten my hair, to me that was pretty surprising.;)

How much longer would you would like to grow?

I would love to have a blunt hemline at waist length or maybe even hip length.

I couldn't stand the growing out phase, from very short to shoulder length, I would always chop it off

when it started to get long.
Also my hair was always fried from bleaching or coloring. Thank goodness those days are over. :o

What are the things you've learned, or what's helped your hair the most?

I must say a combination of giving up chemical dyes, useing only henna to color my hair and oiling with e.v.o.o. have really helped.
Also I love doing smt's for my hair, there lovely.:cheer:

kudo's to this community for having some of the best info on long hair care on the web, without this site I probably wouldn't be at the length I'm at now.
:gobblecheese:

justgreen
November 27th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Mine is almost 40" long and this is the longest it's ever been in my whole life.

That I look good with long hair and have learned how to put it up in a bun in seconds, wet or dry!

Until it gets to a point to where it's difficult for me to take care of it....probably a bit longer than fingertip.

I could never get past BSL, because of cones.

SMT saved my hair, as did CWC.

Diluting shampoo and applying to scalp only.

Using a triple dipped pick and not brushing.

Misting with my homemade spritzers and leave-ins, using distilled water instead of tap water.

Using distilled water as a final rinse to sluice off the minerals.

Cold water rinses to help calm the cuticle and promote shine.

Peter
November 27th, 2008, 07:05 PM

It's APL at the back, a couple of inches past shoulders at the front. This is the longest it's ever been.

That I prefer wavy hair over straight hair nowadays... when I began to grow it I hated how the ends flipped out and wanted stick-straight hair. Now I wish it was even wavier.

I want it at least waist length I think. We'll see from there... but I don't think I'd like it at such a great length that I couldn't wear it down a lot in the summer.

Well, being a male, I always just accepted that all the other guys around me had short hair and the girls had longer hair. That's just how it was... but then I got into metal music and realized that long hair wasn't just for women.

Oiling my hair has helped the most. My ends get dry without it. I've also learned that frequent shampooing isn't always required for clean hair.

Amara
November 27th, 2008, 08:03 PM
My hair, when I measure on Dec 1, will be my official "hip length" measurement, if things went as usual this month.
My hair has never been past BSL before this. I realized, when I was around BSL in Sept 06, that I was about as long as ever, and maybe I could grow a bit more to see! That led me to look for a way to care for my hair better, since I usually would cut from BSL to chin or so rather than letting it grow, because I just didn't know what to do with longer hair. So, each new inch is a totally new inch. :D

I love shampoo bars! I'm sure a couple of years ago I would have thought the idea of those was very odd!
I'm also discovering I like my natural hair color. I'm rockin' about 9 inches of it now, and the rest is hennaed.

My next goal is tailbone, and from there we'll see. I will probably grow to classic, but I'm not sure if I'll want longer. Again, we'll see!

I just didn't know how to care for it. It would get to BSL and I would be washing daily, brushing, and just wearing it in a ponytail, so it didn't look or act its best. I really like short hair on me so at that point I would go for fun shorter cut.

Shampoo bars, shampoo bars, shampoo bars! And coconut oil.

Delila
November 27th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Tailbone, headed to classic. Yes!!

That my hair is thicker than I'd ever believed possible. All I had to do was stop letting stylists cut in all those layers.

I'll let you know when I get there.

I believed the stylists who lied to me and made me feel as though I had to have short hair, 'because it's so thin'.

That my hair is wavy.

Even though it doesn't have any natural body, it does have waves. Most of them don't show unless my hair has a good bit of length on it, and if I blow my hair dry, the waves pretty much flatten out. Guess that's why I never figured out that my hair wasn't bad straight hair, it was just WAVY.

That my hair prefers not being blown dry.

That my scalp doesn't like conditioner, but my hair does, so I need to put conditioner only on my length.

That I can trim my own hair. (whee!) I never realized just how much I hated going to the salon until I gave it up entirely.

bte
November 28th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I'm sure it's significant that so many who have replied to this thread have been told by stylists that their hair is too thick or too thin to be long. Why don't the stylists just admit that they want someone who comes and spends money in their salon every few weeks?!

I remember the first time I was able to grow my hair - in some ways it is the best time of all, because not only is "every inch a new inch", but the whole experience is new and exhilarating.

LutraLutra
November 28th, 2008, 07:05 AM
The longest layers are a couple of inches above my shoulders, I'm calling it 'neck' length, but my hair is really layered and razored from growing out a pixie. The longest my hair ever got was about APL when I was 18/19 ish, but it was jet black over bleach and totally fried.

That my hair is auburn – I haven't seen my own colour since I was 15. And after 20 years of hair dye I'd forgotten.

At the moment my goal is BSL, but that might change to shorter or longer. Growing my hair longer than shoulder length feels really exciting – it's uncharted territory.

I love my mum, but my hair is very different from hers, and I picked up on her frustration with my hair when I was a kid. I've got lots of very fine, wavy hair that tangles and get untidy quickly, my hair never looked 'neat' enough for her. Then I was bullied at secondary school for having masses of frizzy waves, so I cut my hair short as soon as I was old enough to have a say over how I looked. All the women in my family are short hairs so I had no role models.

That one months use of shea as a leave–in has transformed my hair.
That I don't have to wash my hair everyday for it to look and feel nice.
That there are men, women and kids all over the world growing and maintaining long hair and supporting each other online. :)

LutraLutra
November 28th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I remember the first time I was able to grow my hair - in some ways it is the best time of all, because not only is "every inch a new inch", but the whole experience is new and exhilarating. Yup, that's just what I'm feeling right now.

Hypnotica
November 28th, 2008, 08:05 AM

It is hip length and I had about BSL as a girl.

That straight hair isn't the same a flat and "lifeless hair". That my hair actually likes to be clarifed often with BS. That my hair thrives on the cheapest schampoos and conditioners. And henna is probably the best thing ever.

Classic, but I doubt I will stop there.

I wanted fun, colourful, wild and original hair cuts :D I don't regret that.

All the myriads of updos - and that even straight slippery hair can be tamed to hold in an updo.

Samitra
November 28th, 2008, 09:32 AM
glad to see there are more of us out there! :)

I wonder how many of you were always told your hair wouldn't get long, or would look terrible if it did - and how many of those are fine-haired people. There seems to be a real misunderstanding out there about fine hair, which I am trying to correct all the time. Even my mother-out-law still always comments that I should not wear my hair down, it's too thin! But I don't listen to her; she has a boy haircut. :D

Oh, I've heard that all my life! But somehow I seem to have more hair now than I used to... It's still very fine though, as it's always been.

rockkcor
November 28th, 2008, 09:56 AM

midd back - longest it ever was

long hair is no trouble for me - to wash, dry, let loose, whatever - no trouble at all

terminal length - as long as it can grow - a chalange to see the limits!

I am a man and took a long time to accept that I want it realy long

patience, patience and patience...

peachy.pudding
November 28th, 2008, 10:51 AM

BSL, its been 10 years since i have had virgiin hair this long

I love my hair colour its the best! I love having healthy hair without having to heat style it to look that way

Tbl maybe classic but never longer than that because i love to wear my hair down and also not draw to much attention to myself. Should reach my goal in 2 years.

I always bleached, dyded, highlighted, blow dried and straightened it, i never new that all these things caused breakage which stopped me from achieving long hair, it wasnt until i found hair care boards i chopped off all the damage and started a fresh.

1. No heat, this has saved my hair, i find i no longer need trims 4 times per year, now i can go over a year with beautiful ends. :cool:
2. Cutting off all the damage, it was hard but worth it:cheese:
3. No dye has also saved my hair from splits and my scalp from burning:confused:
4. Chemical free shampoos, my scalp has never had dandruff since:p
5. shea butter - need i say more?:D
6. Finally oil:)
7. Oh one more, wide tooth wood combs with no sharp brittle edges!;)