PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for working out, exercising and sports

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

morningstar
April 27th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Since it's quite a popular question, here's a compilation of threads about how to style hair for exercise. Hopefully we can all benefit from each other's advice!

~Anje

How do you wear your hair for outdoor exercise? I am now running every other day in the wind and sun. I bought some good sunscreen for my face, neck and arms but am also thinking my ponytail flying in the breeze is not such a great idea. I am thinking about a buff for running. Do buffs stay in place?
What other ways do those that hike, bike and run out in the elements keep their hair off their face and protected?
Thank you in advance...:flowers:

karenpetal
April 27th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Hey Morningstar - I am also an outdoor person
I wear my hair in a tucked french/english braid while biking (sometimes cover with a scarf/bandana)
During yoda i like to tie a loose braid - enligh or french
For running i usually tie it in a high braid (something like high ponytail english braid) and rarely ina high ponytail
I also sometimes use cloth headbands to keep ahir off my face during biking or playing tennis
Hope this helps

morningstar
April 27th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks Karenpetal those are great ideas. Have you ever used a buff?

Sillage
April 27th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Ficcare most of the time. I never wear head wraps because I don't like the way they look, but I think they would protect my hair much better. High ponytails are cute until I start sweating. Then they cling to the back of my neck and look gross. TMI I know :p

walkinglady
April 27th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I don't think it is so much how you wear your hair but what you hold it with. A ficcare always keeps my hair up off my neck. I also like to have my hair damp while I'm outside, it helps to keep it from getting to dry.

I don't like baseball hats for two reasons. One, my head gets to warm. Two, my hair started breaking off from the friction. I have never used a buff but am thinking about trying one.

Kunzang
April 27th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I put my hair in a high cinnabun with hair sticks or a braided chinese bun. I don't like braids dangling down as it flops in the way.

girlcat36
April 27th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I wear mine down or in a half pulled through scrunchie pony. If I am hiking or kayaking--two braids.

Anje
April 27th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I've worn a Buff. Mine tends to slip back a bit, but it depends where I put it to start. I don't think it'd be my choice for running, but I may have to dig it out for biking to reduce hair snagging on my helmet. Bobby pins on the sides are reported to fix any backward drift you may get with a Buff. There are also the medium-sized ones, which might stay better if you just wear the tube pulled over your head.

High english braids are very sporty and kinda fun because they swing as you move. Could get annoying, though, and could cause pony breakage if you're prone to it. For working out, I usually just wadded my hair into some random bun-like shape and clipped it with a Ficcare. That stayed without pulling better that anything else. (Gotta get back in the gym so that's not past tense!) Low braids are great if you don't need hair off your neck.

morningstar
April 28th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Thanks everyone that responded.
I am going to get a buff and if it works for running great, if not, well I can use it still since I love being outdoors camping etc..

I need a Ficcare! sob!!! I tried one of Thetokenladys' at our Michigan meet and it was nice.
I am afraid of using a wood hair stick to run in case it falls out and gets chipped. Hair sticks don't seem to want to stay in my hair when I am standing still let alone running. My hair is too short and too slippery for them at present...sigh.

OhioLisa
April 28th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I would french braid it and cover it with a buff. I think buffs are fab. And as Anje said, you can always put pins on either side to keep it from shifting. A bandana would be my second choice.

Stevy
April 28th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I can't help because I never do outdoor exercise. :) but my husband has a Buff and swears by it.

Katze
April 28th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Buffs don't work for me. I tried one on a long bike ride, French braided my hair and tried wearing the Buff like a wide headband, held in place with FOUR bobby pins, and it slid back the whole time - super annoying. I like the idea of the Buffs, but they are not very practical for me if they even fall off on a bike ride!

I can't even imagine wearing a Buff for Kung Fu! No way!

For kung fu or jogging a Ficcare or just a scrunchie works well. It depends on what state my hair is in. If I am wearing it down, and want to wear it down later, I put it in a high scrunchy bun. Lots of people are wearing these around now, and they don't look half bad.

If my hair is already up I keep it like it is - French twist, coronet braids, work really well for kung fu or jogging.

If my hair is getting dirty and I plan to wear it up later, I put it into two side braids.

serenitygal
April 28th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I run 3x/week and have hair about the same length as yours, morningstar, albeit somewhat more curly. I run in the morning before leaving for school, and wear my hair in a french braid at night. I just get up and go. At night, you might want to try a french braid with a hairnet over it; the hairnet will keep things a bit smoother for the AM. HTH!

morningstar
April 28th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Thank you all again those that are sharing tips.
I really think I need to learn how to do an English braid..yea I know but for some reason they baffle me. Uncoordinated!
I can do a French on my self although with layers I will get a headband. I might try a buff and see if I can just tie it around the braid to keep it from getting wind and sun burned.
My hair is so slippery that a scrunchy and a regular band eventually slips down my back. Two braids are nice but my hair is not long enough to keep them down my back and they bounce forward and annoy me.

Sara_Smiles
April 28th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I hate to hijack this thread, but I have a somewhat similar question. If you are a frequent excersizer, what do you do to keep your hair clean without damaging it? I'm about to start on a pretty intense, work out every day program and I tend to sweat. I don't want to wash it every day for obvious reasons, but I don't want it to be gross either. Help!
On subject I tend to wear my hair in an octopus clip during outside exercise because it keeps it out of my way and I feel like it protects the ends really well.

Future CCC-SLP
April 28th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I work out daily and what has helped me was to CWC every other day or every three days, and the in between days I CO. This helps to clean my hair yet not dry it out! It took about a week for me to get used to it, but my hair has adjusted well.

Icedevimon13
April 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Honestly, this is going to sound gross, but sweat is really good for your hair. When I was in marching band and we had a performance I had to shove it all up in my shaco (that's the hat with the plume) and by the time we were done it was moist and sweaty. After a few minutes and it dried off it ended up really soft and nice - no stench at all. When I worked out any other time I usually just looped it around my hand a few times and threw a scrunchie on it. The sweat didn't bother it much then.

Anje
April 28th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Sara_smiles, I also sweat when I work out. (DH doesn't. Lucky man.) The easy answers are to CO wash or just rinse your hair out. Sweat, after all, is mostly just water and salt, both of which come out easily with just water. Scrubbing your head a little under water gets rid of odor quite well, too, as anyone who's done WO washing for a while can tell you. Your scalp will smell like scalp, not shampoo or conditioner, but it won't smell like sweaty person either.

morningstar
April 28th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I just shower and rinse my hair. WO after a run or if it has been a few days Wash and condish as usual.

Sara_Smiles
April 28th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll give that a try. I really appreciate it, ladies (and gents).

Angellen
April 28th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I wear these:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/Angellen/1197001117.jpg
(And yes, that is a rare glimpse of the old LHC in the background.)

They are two clips that vaguely resemble french combs, and on shorter hair they hold wonderfully. I thought I lost one, bought another, and then had a friend tell me they had found my first one. What to do. So, I put them both on, one on each side, with claws interlocking. The results were fantastic. They hold better than a ficcare (though for a one-clip deal, ficcare is better), and the two have a curve that combined fits the curvature of the skull quite well, in my opinion. I believe scunci makes them. Mine were inexpensive, easily under $10. I have thick near-hip hair, and this holds them so well. There's no pulling, it's great. They don't need readjusting and don't loosen over time (unless you sleep in them, and yes, I have on multiple occasions).

I am not the jogging type, but I have worn them for strenuous physical activities, and have only good things to say about them. I hope that helps. :)

courtney_1991
April 29th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I wear my hair in a tight bun on the back of my neck for biking, walking... or just about anything outdoors... It stays out of my way and doesn't fall down (wellll usually. :D haha)

http://i27.tinypic.com/2ah8hog.jpg

Arashi
April 29th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I leave it loose. My hair is too short to really do much other than a tiny bun/ponytail at the moment, and I wouldn't go outside like that because they look ridiculous on me. Also, even if that weren't so, I'd leave it loose anyway. I just prefer my hair loose, I guess. *shrug*

aisling
April 29th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Last summer I found that my braid was too long to wear down while running, it tickled me just above my elbows and I'm pretty ticklish :) I've been testing different braided and looped up buns since that. This is what works best right now, a twice looped up braid with a large Ficcarissimo:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/aisling_stein/Hair/DCP_4364.jpg

If anybody wants instructions, I have them written down.

Stevy
April 29th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Aisling, I would love to see instructions for that bun!

aisling
April 29th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Stevy, I only have written down instructions. Copied from my blog:

Instructions for a looped, braided do (works for medium hair that's long'ish and a large Ficcare:

braid hair like normal in a single braid at the nape of your neck. Braid as long as possible, leaving a very short braid tassel. Secure with something as thin and easily hidden as possible.
put two fingers of your left hand right above the braid, fold the braid over the fingers towards your head, let the rest of the braid hang down on the left side
grab the braid with your right hand, bring it towards the right around/below the base of your braid and make another loop around the fingers sticking out from loop #1. Now the rest of the braid should hang down on the right side somewhere.
remove your left hand fingers from the loops, hold on to the loops with your right hand, grab the braid tassel with your left hand, pull it back towards the left around/below the base of your braid and wrap the remaining braid & tassel behind/under the loops, hide the ends wherever possible.
secure this do by flattening the loops towards your head and clipping them down with some kind of clip, for me a large Ficcarissimo is just perfect.

flapjack
April 29th, 2008, 02:49 AM
My main exercise routine consists of ballet or swimming. And for ballet, it is always in a braided bun and for swimming, it's always in a braid as well. It just makes life easier (plus it's part of the ballet "dresscode", anyway). Bobby pins can be evil if not put in the right way, though.

Miss Murphy
April 29th, 2008, 03:01 AM
My hair is BSL, and I'm doing a lot of sports outdoors (running and hiking, mainly). I always do a braided bun, held in place with four large claw-clips. On top of that I wear a bandana, for sunscreen and sweating reasons.

I am also right now having a sunhat made that will allow me to wear my braided bun (it will have an opening in the back).

I do own a buff, but that would be way too hot for me during anything that isn't winter.

Anlbe
April 29th, 2008, 03:13 AM
I used to train 10-14 times a week and always used either two braids (french or english) , or a three strand braided bun and a lycra headband both kept hair up and off face. When training between 10am-8pm I had to wear a hat to stop the sunburn (not a baseball hat, parents said they'd stop allowance) so perspired alot, but after a while I realised it wasn't actually much of a problem. If I just let my hair down and dry out and then gently brush it with a soft brush (as it was combed before putting it up there are no tangles.) Even when training this much I only had to wash my hair once every four to five days.

Nat242
April 29th, 2008, 03:46 AM
When dancing, I wear my hair in two braids, though I have hit myself in the eye when spinning :rolleyes:

-- Natalie

littlemiss
April 29th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I when im running or walking out in the hills I wear my hair in a pony tail or a tight bun with sticks, when i go to the gym I use 2 braids other wise when I do weights on the bench press it gets in the way.

Eireann
April 29th, 2008, 07:19 AM
For running and hiking, I wear a high ponytail with the last loop pulled 1/2 way through and a bandana. For skiiing I wear two side braids tucked in my neck warmer. For cycling, one braid that starts low so it doesn't bunch up under my helmut and then tucked in the back. (I have BSL very fine hair).

jtl45
April 29th, 2008, 07:53 AM
i run or exercise daily and usually keep my hair tightly braided with multiple scrunchies! Occasionally I will put it in a top knot or bun but it tends to tumble down during long runs!
Jim

trolleypup
April 29th, 2008, 04:01 PM
It depends on the activity...I can hike for hours with my regular lazy bun. More vigorous activities, or where there is environmental contamination (dust, debris, poison oak) I use a pony scrub (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/products/scrub-hats/women/pony.php)...pretty much bombproof.

Curlsgirl
April 29th, 2008, 09:00 PM
It depends on the activity...I can hike for hours with my regular lazy bun. More vigorous activities, or where there is environmental contamination (dust, debris, poison oak) I use a pony scrub (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/products/scrub-hats/women/pony.php)...pretty much bombproof.

Oh I love those pony scrubs! If it will hold all your hair surely it would hold mine! I wonder if it would be good under a motorcycle helmet! I wish they make satin ones but cotton would be cool. I have to have one now! Thanks for the link! I also need one for working in the yard and outdoor activity especially as my hair gets longer! Yippppeeeeeeeeeeeee!

trolleypup
April 29th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Oh I love those pony scrubs! If it will hold all your hair surely it would hold mine! I wonder if it would be good under a motorcycle helmet! I wish they make satin ones but cotton would be cool. I have to have one now! Thanks for the link! I also need one for working in the yard and outdoor activity especially as my hair gets longer! Yippppeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Cotton is probably fine, since there is very little movement of the hair.

You do end up with a bulge at the back of your head...might not work with a full overage helmet, but it is fine with a climbing helmet or hardhat.

I fit with a bit to spare. Dianyla, doesn't...she would need significantly more volume.

I've worn them on multiday backpacking worktrips, including sleeping and not needed to adjust. Also, the awesomeness of pulling out the knot at the end of the trip, slipping it off, taking out the scrunchy, and fluffing out your still very nice untangled hair is stunning.

Dianyla
April 29th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I fit with a bit to spare. Dianyla, doesn't...she would need significantly more volume.
Both in the bun part and the head part. Those ponyscrubs are not made for big peanut-heads like mine.

What I've been doing lately is using two buffs. One on my head, and the other around my bun. A single buff works well to just cover my head and manage wispies, but my bun still hangs out of the buff.

ole gray mare
April 30th, 2008, 11:46 AM
For lifting weights, I usually just wear a single braid down the back, with mini-claw clips to hold the sides.

For running, I usually do the same as with weights, or might do a high bun held by a ficcare. (Most of my running is done on a treadmill early in the morning.)

For waterskiing, boating, hiking, gardening and extensive outdoor exercise in the sun, I wear a pony scrub or tzniki (I so cannot remember the name of this thing!). I do that for scalp protection and to keep my hair from yellowing from the sun.

Islandgrrl
April 30th, 2008, 05:41 PM
How do you wear your hair for outdoor exercise? <snip> Do buffs stay in place?

I went for about a 3 mile run last night. Hair braided and under a buff and the buff never budged. Soaked up all the sweat, too - extra bonus!

trolleypup
April 30th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I went for about a 3 mile run last night. Hair braided and under a buff and the buff never budged. Soaked up all the sweat, too - extra bonus!
Same thing with the cotton ponyscrub...rather than having salty sweat dripping down my face and getting on my glasses, it gets soaked up in the fabric when I am exercising in hot weather...this is a huge improvement...afterwards, the salt encrusted scrub just goes in the wash.

zift
April 30th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I have to say that I cannot wear a Ficcare for any sports,it just doesn't carry my hair. I do a tight braid and fold it up in four and tie with a scrunchie.:)I just can't leave the braid down it keeps hitting my butt and well it hurts:lol:

Anje
April 30th, 2008, 07:36 PM
For the record, I dug out the Buff and bike today, commuted the 5 or so miles to campus. (Other than a sensitive, not-yet-callused bum, things went well. Even though most of the route is 40-55 mph traffic.) Buff under helmet is great -- way less sweat on my face, and a notable lack of gross helmet pad marks! Braid got all fuzzy, but I don't see any way around that.

Miss Murphy
April 30th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Alright, I've now ordered two pony scrubs, since Trolleypup is always raving on about them, and I can't wait to get them! :happydance: (actually, my sister is giving them to me for my birhtday at the end of May).

I think they will be a significant improvement, since I now wear a bandana on top of my bun to protect my scalp and for sweat-soaking reasons - and now my bun will be protected too! :)

Thanks for the tip, Trolleypup! :flower:

nicolezoie
May 1st, 2008, 12:18 AM
Avid cyclist and beginning runner here. I have these home made hair sleeves made of nylon strips that I pull my ponytail through, then roll into a ball/bun which then hangs just above my shoulders. When I bike I shove the bundle through the back of my helmet just above the adjuster. When I run, I just let the bundle swing between my shoulders. Sometimes though that's not very comfortable because of the weight, so I just unroll the ball and let my sleeve'd ponytail hang. That's actually alot more comfortable than having the bundle bang my neck, but it draws ALOT of attention.

Also, I sweat profusely. But, it's mostly the water I'm drinking along the way, so it rarely stinks or even smells funny. I bike most days of the week and run a couple times, and I still only have to wash my scalp 2-3 times a week.

Lize
May 20th, 2008, 05:37 AM
What about wearing a ponytail and then braid the tail? I guess that would protect the length but I am a little worried that the upper elastic will cause friction when I move. What to you think?

My hair is pretty slippery and at this length a regular braid just isn't secure enough to stay when I exercise.

Has anyone tried that style?

n3m3sis42
May 20th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I've been wearing my hair in a cinnabun with my Ketylo AquaPearl hairsticks when I use the elliptical trainer. This works fine for me, but my hair is on the fine/thin side and is therefore rather light considering that it's close to 30 inches long. I'm sure that thickies and people with super long hair might need something more secure than this.

I haven't found my perfect solution yet for securing my hair while lifting weights. I just got back to lifting after a long time away from it. I used to just put my hair in a ponytail with an elastic (the kind without a metal piece). However, I know that causes breakage, and anyway, my hair was a lot shorter at that time. I don't think it would work well for me now. I've just been making a kind of turd on the back of my head and securing it as best I can with a scrunchie.

I've been wanting one of those pony scrubs that Trolleypup mentioned for a while, though. I might order one of those to wear while lifting.

Islandgrrl
May 20th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I thought I'd add in, since I've been doing much more stuff outdoors.

I've been using the buff under my bike helmet, hair braided and it really keeps the sweat out of my eyes (I'm sweat profusely, so this is important to me!). I also like that if I pull it down enough over my forehead, it completely eliminates the dents I get from my helmet pads.

And I very recently discovered that a buff can make an excellent replacement for a swim cap (I'm a Masters swimmer) and it TOTALLY eliminates the nape breakage I've always gotten with swim caps. I wear a medium sized buff for swimming, though, so it doesn't slip when it gets wet. Perfecto!

littlebabywulf
June 3rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
My hair is as long as it is in my signature picture, so I think I'm pretty restricted in what I can do with it. I don't care for it down, because if I don't blow dry it (I don't) it dries stupid. :) What styles can be done at this length? I'd like to learn some new ones. I've got a couple ficcares, a flexi 8 & a couple sticks.

Also, I haven't found anything good for working out. I need something very secure that keeps my hair off of my face and my neck. So far, the best thing I've been able to come up with is to put my hair into a ponytail and then Hairagami it, or to start a ponytail but not pull it all the way through and to wind the hair tie through it a couple times. It's getting long enough that this is coming loose, so I've been adding another hair tie. :o

Thanks for your help! :flowers:

Islandgrrl
June 3rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
I braid my hair for working out. Depending on the type of workout I'm doing it works just fine. If it's running or something else where my hair will be flying around I will often add extra ties around the braid (like a caterpiller pony). When I bike I braid and wear a buff under my helmet to prevent the helmet parts from pulling or snagging. For swimming I braid and wear a smaller sized buff instead of a swim cap (it fits more snugly when wet) so that the small hairs at the nape of my neck don't break. When I teach spin classes, I either wear a braid or bun with a ficcare. For yoga it just depends on my mood. Braid or bun.

Hope this helps.

burns_erin
June 3rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
When my hair was long, I would put it in a pony tail or braid low on my head but off my neck. Then I would put a head band on and tuck the end of the pontytail or braid into the bottom of the headband. This works especially well with those stayput headbands.

yogachic
June 3rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
I love my messy bun, its what I do almost daily.

savi
June 3rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Folded or flipped (was that the right word?) braid, if you want something different. They can be secured with a flexi8 or ficcare.

Anje
June 3rd, 2008, 03:36 PM
I'd braid it, if I were you... Another alternative is to put it into some sort of bun (it looks like you've got a bunnable length) and clip it up with a Ficcare or a very secure fake. That's what I do for exercising.

Chromis
June 3rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
Wait, you mean hair can dry smart?

I use a single braid, logroll, or folded braid depending on the activity.

mommy2one05
June 3rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
I love my messy bun, its what I do almost daily.

How do you do a messy bun?

littlebabywulf
June 4th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I don't really know how to do a bun. I have the basic idea, and I sort of have one in my hair now with my sticks but it has little sticky out-y pieces. I'm just not confident that it would hold if I were working out. Secureness and prettiness comes with practice? I'll post a picture once my husband comes home and I can have him take a picture of it for me. :)

I also tried it with a Ficcare today, and there was just no way it would have held. I have a large, so as far as I can tell it should work, right?

Is there a list of how to do hairstyles somewhere? I thought there was before the board went down, but I can't really find anything like it on the new one. I don't know how to do things like log rolls or buns or messy buns or sock buns. I can do Dutch and French braids, but then how would I flip them up or under and hold with a flexi? I've tried going under; it just doesn't seem to work, so I assume I'm doing something wrong? Normal braids look silly on me, probably because of the length?

Thanks for your patience and ideas!

Delenn
June 4th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I really really envy those of you who can bounce around with a ficcare on your head, I can't even get one to stay there when I'm standing still!

Delenn
June 4th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Yours looks like a good length for a french braid, or even a reverse one. (Are those dutch?) When my hair was that length those styles held really great for working out.

littlebabywulf
June 4th, 2008, 03:14 PM
What's a reverse French Braid? Do you start at the bottom and braid up? :confused:

My understanding, which is very new, only a week old and hopefully correct, is that a Dutch Braid is created the same as a French Braid. The difference is that when you make a French braid you bring the pieces over one another, and when you do a Dutch braid you slide them under each other. It gives the braid a very different look. More like it's on top of your hair than in/under your hair.

CaityBear
June 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
My hair is getting long and I plan to let it grow longer and I love to exercise and plan on continuing that so I'm beginning to need to find something else.

So far I just put it in a half ponytail, but soon my hair will be too long and I can't stand to have my hair touching me while I get all sweaty. o_O

RavenDream
June 19th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I wear it in a tight bun. Like you I hate my hair touching me when I workout and it really annoys me to have it move around.

AlleyKitten
June 19th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I've been putting it in a braided ponytail -- the top elastic keeps it out of the way better.

Aronomy
June 19th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Herringbone braided ponytail.

flapjack
June 19th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Major bunnage for me. Sometimes a bun will come out after doing more than 30+ jumps in a row or 2 million fuettes, but usually it stays ok.

hurricane_gia
June 19th, 2008, 11:17 PM
It depends on the mode of exercise.

If there's not going to be a lot of bending over, a braid or two is fine. Like when I'm riding my bike or rollerblading . . .

If there is going to be bending over (like a session of yoga), I try for a bun, and I try to get the bun flat and centered over the part of my head that would be contacting a pillow, so if my yoga instructor wants us to lay on our backs I can do that without craning my neck around a lumpy bun.

For my belly-dance class, anything works so long as it is out of my face and cannot thwack a classmate when I spin around. So, no braids in dance class! I play around with chinese buns and other frou-frou styles.

Under a fencing mask, classic french or dutch braids seem to work the best, as there is nothing lumpy under the tongue of the mask, and a good tight braid with a lot of gel or cocaloe creme keeps those wispy baby hairs under control. There is nothing worse than having your hair tickle your nose when you can't reach it to scratch!

And when I am at work, in a garden, getting my exercise by pushing around a wheelbarrow, digging holes, or carrying bags of compost, I prefer a simple tucked braid and a big big hat!

Poppy Seed
June 19th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Single plait when cycling (won't fit under my helmet otherwise!) and a bun of some description for dancing.

Lixie
June 19th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Braided ponytail works best for me. :)

MoldyCake
June 19th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I like to french braid it. Lara Croft was onto something. :D

Phalaenopsis
June 20th, 2008, 03:01 AM
French braid. A bun or a ponytail is in my way when I'm doing sit ups or something.

Katze
June 20th, 2008, 05:21 AM
For biking or running, some kind of braid to keep all the *&#^$% layers from flying around (not that that really works, but it's better than nothing.)

For kung fu, either a loose French braid or half-ponytail-half-bun, held with a terry elastic, or just twisted up and back and held with a Ficcare. I love that my Ficcares (except the large) hold my hair even while jumping around!

For reenactment fighting, I braid the ends only so my hair's out of my eyes, or sometimes do a half-up.

Queenie
June 20th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Default tight cinnamon bun!

Duchess of Erat
June 20th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I usually put my hair in a high ponytail and braid it, as I can't get buns to stay in place (I play badminton, so stopping and putting my hair back up isn't really an option). It's getting a bit long now though, so I'm sometimes almost hitting my partner with the end of the braid.

So: question for the people that do put their hair in a bun: how do you get it to stay up?

zanne
June 20th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Single braid down the back, or pig tails, but at the moment, my hair is to long to leave down, but not long enough to get in my or anyone else's way... oh, how i look forward to that day:)

Climber
June 20th, 2008, 07:28 AM
When I'm on the excercise bike or using weight machines, I bun my hair. Usually I use hairsticks or a Ficcare. Sometimes it's a braided bun. If I'm riding outside (bicycle or motorcycle) I braid my hair, then put a Buff over it. For Society for Creative Anachronism (http://www.sca.org/) heavy weapons fighting, I put my hair in a low braid, put a cloth wrap over the length of the braid, and then a Buff over it. The Buff keeps wispies out of my face.

The cloth wrap is basically a long rectangle with snaps on it. I wrap it around the braid, snap the snaps, and use a Bunjii to anchor the top of it to my braid. It works well. It was easy to make, but sewing all the snaps on was a drag.

hurricane_gia
June 20th, 2008, 10:20 AM
So: question for the people that do put their hair in a bun: how do you get it to stay up?

'Good Hair Days' hairpins are awesome for keeping cinnabuns in place. It also helps to start with damp hair, or to slather on a lot of gel.

The other tricks are to know which kinds of buns hold the best. Everyone's hair is different, but I find that the Orchid bun is my most secure bun, and only needs one hairstick. (LeaM07 has a tutorial in her blog). The Inside-out bun is also a good sturdy bun.

Tap Dancer
June 20th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I wear an elastic headband to keep my bangs back and then I pull the rest of my hair back in a ponytail. As it grows, I'll probably ditch the headband and keep the ponytail.

burns_erin
June 20th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Hair braided or french braided or pony tailed with several bands down the length. No slip elastic headband to keep wispies up and out of the way. Then if the braid is long enough tuck the end of it into the headband by the nape of the neck.

Duchess of Erat
June 20th, 2008, 10:46 AM
'Good Hair Days' hairpins are awesome for keeping cinnabuns in place. It also helps to start with damp hair, or to slather on a lot of gel.

The other tricks are to know which kinds of buns hold the best.

Thanks for the tips hurricane, I never thought to use (extra) pins. I'll definitely be trying some more kinds of buns (I can only do a cinnabun and a figure8/infinity at the moment) to see which one will work for me.

camara
June 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Mostly in a french braid, but when I want it to hold like the proverbial rock, I´m going for a braided bun. I´m skewering the bun with at least eight hairpins and four hairscroos, so it stays.

chrissy-b
June 20th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I bun it the best I can (my hair is still pretty short) or put it into two small twists. When I ride my bike I put it in a low ponytail (still too short to braid). Anything that keeps it from swinging around or rubbing on me or my clothes.

MsBubbles
June 20th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Best thing for keeping it cool, off my neck, less suceptible to wind damage, AND under my skate helmet = braided pony tail. I tend not to pull as many hairs out putting the helmet on and off too, as I do with my (usually butchered) french braids. I'm only at 24" right now so my braids are still pretty stubby!

Darkhorse1
June 20th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Braided pony tail works best for high intensity work outs. You can also put it into a bun if need be. I put mine in a low braid right now when riding. One of my helmets is big enough for me to put all my hair in my helmet, but the newer ones don't. I also got a tilly hat for when I'm coaching/teaching, and I wear a low pony tail/braid, french braid or herringbone braid.

Finoriel
June 20th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Most times it´s in a French or English braid, braided ponytails tend to pull and the swinging length annoys me while exercising. A bun tends to pull when jumping / running and does not fit under a helmet, too.

Indigo Girl
June 20th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I either do a braided ponytail, or a regular braid that I double back up and secure with a scrunchie.

Alaskanheart
June 20th, 2008, 04:12 PM
A very high and tight bun with scrunchi , it stays out of my way when I do crunches, and stays in place pretty well

Islandgrrl
June 20th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Depends on what I'm doing. Cycling or spin class: braid. Weight training: cinnabun. Yoga or BodyFlow or BodyJam: twin braids.

n3m3sis42
June 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I usually wear it in a cinnabun. I'd been using hairsticks for this until I recently got a Quattro Starlites fork, and now I use that. It holds really well. :D

curls2grow
June 20th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Mine is just shoulder length when dry, so a ponytail works great for me.

goldenwaves
June 20th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Ponytail. A bun normally falls out! And if the ponytail is braided I find that it flicks me in the face! However, I do competitive SPORT aerobics (not the normal kind in a gym) so I'm constantly bouncing around! A braid is fairly good, but I normally can't be bothered doing one.

lulabelle
June 20th, 2008, 11:38 PM
When I exercise, I always have a braided ponytail. Anything else hurts my head or falls out.

shwankie
November 25th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I hope this is the right place to put this. I didn't find another thread about it.

I'm a very active person, and always looking for new ways to deal with my hair when I am being active. It's doesn't stay in a ponytail (I've tried about everything), and headbands either slide off or give me a migraine. So, I've come up with a few go-to styles. Depending what I am doing, a tight french braid (or two, one on each side of my head) works. This is great for hiking, spinning, yoga,or kickboxing, but not so good for weightlifting (though the double works alright) because it's really uncomfortable to have something running down the back of your head when you're on the bench. Essentially, I've only got two variations for weight training: the double braid and the double "twist" thing I do.

The "twist" thing:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/3058905750_fbb6ab64d7.jpg?v=0 http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/3058905724_c33349d18a.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/3058920438_6f6b604886.jpg?v=0

The French braid is essentially the same thing, except braided all the way down. Usually, though, it's the twisty thing because I can do both sides in under a minute.

How do other folks deal with their hair when they're being active? I'd love to have some other ideas--I am getting bored. And, it's getting long enough I probably should try to protect if from damage a bit more. Anyone got any ideas?

lyria
November 25th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I tend to do more cardio, like running or playing tennis, so my hair not only needs to be back, it needs to stay that way when I'm moving around a lot.

Usually I am lazy and put mine in a high pony tale with double hair bands since one is not strong enough. I know this is bad for my hair, though, and I'm trying to motivate myself to move to using a french braid since that seems like it would place the least amount of stress on my hair.

I like your twis thing though so maybe I'll try that!

suicides_eve
November 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM
the twist is cute i wear my hair like that sometimes when my fringe is getting on my nerves and i want them outta the way

shwankie
November 25th, 2008, 04:09 PM
The twist holds my hair better than a French braid, for whatever reason. I don't have fringe, but my hair falls out almost everything else.

Speckla
November 25th, 2008, 04:12 PM
So cute. I'd have two piggie tails with that look. :)
________
2008 CUP (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/2008_Lexus_Cup)

Vitalai
November 25th, 2008, 04:28 PM
That style is really cute! I haven't done that in a while.

I play tennis, so I usually slick my hair back into a tight ponytail. I try to bobby pin down my bangs, but they always escape. Nasty little buggers.

EvaSimone
November 25th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Very cute! Not to be weird but you're super pretty too!

I usually use a tie/wrap thingy and then tie my hair in a bun or a braid.

This is what it looks like:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/rszpara/hat002.jpg

shwankie
November 25th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evasimone, Thank you for the compliment. You are lovely, as well. Love the shoulder & curl shot, it's a great photo! I used to live in MI (for almost all of the first 35 years of my life!), and I have to say that thee winters were murder on my hair! Does it affect yours?

The wrap is a great idea! I totally forgot I have a few bandannas that I wear hiking, and they look a bit like the wrap/tie that you have. They stay in my hair pretty well with a few bobby pins. I've never really tried them for my other activities, but I bet they'd work like your wrap does until I can find a nice wrap. Can I ask where you got yours wrap? I suppose I could always make one, too.

Thanks so much for sharing!

shwankie
November 25th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Speckla, sometimes I do it with tiny buns on the back, as well, or "loops" with my tails. The loops or a "Tuck" of some sort might make it really doable for shorter hair.

Thanks for the compiment, Vitalai! I had bangs long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away, and had a similar problem.; so, I feel your pain!

Um Enis
November 25th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Oh, you are right about those styles being perfect for activity. I can't work them at my age though without looking silly... well I can, but not for too much longer. My ponytails get raggedy anyways and the baby pulls on the braids or they fall in the soup. Still looking for alternatives to the terrible two: cinnabon and inside out (nautilus bun)!

Darkhorse1
November 25th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Hey there! I wear my hair in a braid or a braided ponytail. I ride and show horses, so I have to wear a helmet. The newer helmets don't allow for me to put my hair up into it, so I make a low ponytail/braid and then use a hairnet. For other activities, I do a higher ponytail braid, then wrap it around into a braided bun. I have a lot of hair, so this can get a bit uncomfortable for a long time, but if I'm doing something highly active, this is the best way to keep it out of my face.

missmanytoes
November 25th, 2008, 08:07 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/3058905750_fbb6ab64d7.jpg?v=0 http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/3058905724_c33349d18a.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/3058920438_6f6b604886.jpg?v=0

I used to live in MI (for almost all of the first 35 years of my life!)...

Holy crap! You're 35+ years old??!!1!! You look GOOD!!!

EvaSimone
November 25th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Holy crap! You're 35+ years old??!!1!! You look GOOD!!!

I was thinking the same thing... more like "it must have been a typo. She'll come back and tell us she's really 25."

:)

EvaSimone
November 25th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I used to live in MI (for almost all of the first 35 years of my life!), and I have to say that thee winters were murder on my hair! Does it affect yours?

Yep. The winters are pretty rough on both my hair and my skin. I think I am pretty used to it now but I have to be extra gentle during the winter or else everything becomes super dried out.

sneakybea
November 25th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Your twist hairstyle is cute! I do a similar style sometimes, only I twist it back into a ponytail.
For my dance class, I like to wear either a French braid, or two English braids. I can't wear a bun or ponytail or even a reverse French braid (the kind that stands out from the head) because we do some of our warm ups on the floor, and it's uncomfortable.

SearMeCarefully
November 25th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I know what you mean by the braid digging into your back.. annoying. Sometimes I'll do a really high bun, so it's not in the way when I am down on the bench.. and I do double braids as well.. that's about it ha. I don't really gussy up my hair for the gym - usually I quickly throw it in a braid as I was from the dressing room to the weight room :lol:

MsBubbles
November 25th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Very cute! Not to be weird but you're super pretty too!

:rollin:That was great! I thought the same thing.

Oh, you are right about those styles being perfect for activity. I can't work them at my age though without looking silly... well I can, but not for too much longer. (nautilus bun)!

:uhh: Well...I'm in my 40s with a big frown mark etched into my forehead and was hoping to plagiarize this style :blushing:. This might help me do something other than two really badly made English braids under my skate helmet. I would have to braid or anchor the ends though otherwise it'll be nothing but tangles after the wind is through with them. I love the low bun(s) idea - might at least give me nicer waves than the awful braid waves, which end up looking like a growing-out perm.

Tami86
November 25th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Hii everyone,

I recently joined the gym and I go 6 times a week. The problem is that I do intense cardio workouts which means lots and lots of sweating. So I have to wash my hair everyday. I like giving my hair days to rest. But with my new workout routine its impossible.

Anyone with the same problem? How do you cope? Is it bad if I wash my hair everyday? I usually CO wash, sometimes CWC for extra cleansing.

Help :(

Magicknthenight
November 25th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Don't know how long your hair is but you could always try scalp washing.
Their are instructions in the articles
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=85
It doesn't require you to get your length wet.
hope that helps :)
ETA: if its not that bad you could try a powder. That would take away some of the oily look. I have used corn starch in the pasted.

Aditi
November 26th, 2008, 12:04 AM
You can do WO also while washing your hair. Cleaning your hair is very important for healthy hair so i don't think regualar washing will do any harm for hair

Shannon4J
November 26th, 2008, 12:45 AM
For working out: I put it back with a headband and braid it or bun it.
For playing with the grand kids: I will brain it or bun it.

vampodrama
November 26th, 2008, 01:42 AM
sweat is water soluble, so you might be able to get by with WO on some days at least, and CO on others.

vampodrama
November 26th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I work out quite a bit too, during the winter time it's dance classes (hip-hop or street variety) and weight training. I wish I could do braids, because that greatly reduces the tangle factor, but my hair is slippery and braids don't stay during the workout. buns are downright impossible. so I usually just make a reaaallllly tight ponytail (isn't that called something like an essex facelift or smth? :eyebrows:) and it sort of works. the dance classes tangle my hair quite a bit though, which is unfortunate. but... what can you do?

Katze
November 26th, 2008, 02:56 AM
You can do WO also while washing your hair. Cleaning your hair is very important for healthy hair so i don't think regualar washing will do any harm for hair

WO is a good idea, but many people believe getting your hair WET, not to mention shampooing it, causes it to stretch and thus become damaged. Wet hair is fragile hair. WO does not include the use of shampoo, obviously, but it is still getting your hair wet. Depending on your hairtype, you might not want to wash every day.

I have often done sports every day, and am a daily bike commuter still, and I actually *like* what sweat does to my hair. It seems to increase wave and shine, and - unless I TOUCH my scalp while it is sweaty - no further problems. If I scratch my scalp when it is sweaty it makes it get itchy and flaky very fast.

For my fine hair, this is generally not a problem. Depending on how active/sweaty I am I wash anywhere from every 3 days to every 7 days. It is not very hot where I live, but in the summers can be quite humid, so when it is like that and I have been active I do tend to wash more.

My biggest problem is with swimming at the moment. When I swim, I HAVE to wash my hair afterwards - period. This means if I swim twice a week, and on the days my schedule allows, I have to wash my hair Wednesdays and Fridays. I'd like to find a way around this...

Rita
November 26th, 2008, 03:15 AM
I like your twist hairstyle, it is very cute.

When I ride my mountainbike I usually wear a braid because of the helmet. When I go running or use my indoor rower I bun my hair and wear a headband.

shwankie
November 26th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Thanks for all the ideas, guys, and sharing how you wear your hair! I don't usually get gussied up to go to the gym, either. I usually I look a bit more "made up" if I am going after a meeting or service, since I have to look professional (what you see on me in these pics is some leftover mascara from the day before); but, otherwise, I wear no makeup anywhere, ever. Which is why I like the twist, it's Really quick and easy, and I am kinda lazy about my hair.

As Vampodrama said, buns slide right out of my hair if I am doing anything active :( I envy those ladies with the long, thick hair that just stays put! I agree about the braids, I wish I could wear them more. They slide out really easily, so I usually only wear them if I am doing something without a lot of bouncing, like spin. Vapodrama, have you tried putting lotion or oils in your hair before braiding it? If I don't have to work and can leave it in for a while, this really helps keep my hair in a braid(s). It also conditions it while I work out. I don't apply it to my whole head, just from about my ears back, and it seems to help some.

EvaSimone, yeah, MI winters meant lots and lots of oils and lotion for me. Do you find yourself using more oil packs, etc. on your hair? VA winter so far has been a bit drying on the skin, too. My hair hasn't felt the effects yet, but boy my skin--especially lips--have. I use more night cream on my lips than my entire face!

To settle the question: I am 36. No botox, face fillers, weird laser procedures, etc. I got very lucky and have good genetics (thanks grandma, you are the most beautiful woman I know!!), and also take really good care of my skin. For me, the more I exercise, the better my skin stays. I think it's the sweating.

jtl45
November 26th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I work out every day and I have been a daily shampoeer which can be a challenge with hair my length! I shampoo and condition daily and once a week a do deep conditioning which I vary products from time to time. I really have never had a problem with dryness or dullness, so Im either very lucky or the daily conditioning and weekly hour seems to work well for me!
Jim :)

Dolly
November 26th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I also workout every day and sweat A LOT. I do at least a scalp wash every day. My hair seems to do fine with it.

Islandgrrl
November 26th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I'm with Katze on this one. I work out nearly every day - intense cardio is my favorite thing. When I'm done, sometimes my hair is literally dripping.

I do not wash every day. More like every 5 days or so. And I like what the sweat does for my hair. More volume, more wave, more texture, just easier to deal with. To a point. When I reach that point, I just rinse my hair out if it's not a wash day, put a tiny bit of conditioner on the ends as a leave in. I don't think this practice has harmed my hair at all.

Arfed
November 26th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Recently I've learned how to french braid (mainly for when I'm sleeping), and it also seems to work well when exercising.

A bit of an off-topic question (don't feel it warrants a new thread :)):
How far up from the ends do others usually tie their braid?

I'm still getting used to braiding properly, and it always seems to end quite high (with the strands lose and close to unravelling in my hands :));
that's a bit problematic, as I'd like to keep any damage near the ends.

Darkhorse1
November 26th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I know quite a few people with blond hair that have trouble with buns and braids slipping.

Can you perhaps try wetting it a bit? I do this when braiding a horse's mane to keep the fly aways at bay. It helps braid tighter, and they stay in much better. We have a product I love, but it's for horses only. If you used it on human hair, I think you'd be washing your hair for three days to remove it--it's a spray on called 'quick braid', and it's got something that makes it a bit sticky so you can control the fly aways. I found water in a spray bottle just as helpful.

Do tight braids hurt your head too? It's possible you aren't braiding your hair tight enough and that's why it's coming out? What about a ponytail?

I love the style you show here! It's really nice and if it keeps your hair off your face, that should work :)

SolSara
November 26th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I like to fold my braid to make it stay secure. No loose hair to get caught anywhere and it won't bounce or trouble me in any way. Here is a picture:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/3026757779_b9cc30e2df_m.jpg
Braid the hair tight, tie it off. Fold it double, or triple or whatever is comfortable, and tie of with something that will hold well. I guess it could be done just as easy with two braids if you don't want anything by the neck or with twist rolls/french braids to make it even more secure. :)

Darkhorse1
November 26th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Solsara--that's what I do. :) My braid is just a bit longer when folded. :)

vampodrama
November 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Vapodrama, have you tried putting lotion or oils in your hair before braiding it? If I don't have to work and can leave it in for a while, this really helps keep my hair in a braid(s). It also conditions it while I work out. I don't apply it to my whole head, just from about my ears back, and it seems to help some.

yeah, I have tried oil. that's how I know oil should be kept very very far away from my hair :D it keeps the braid better, but also looking extremely greasy (a tiny drop of oil rubbed between my palms turns my entire head into a major oil slick). since I don't fancy looking like I haven't washed my hair in three weeks, I'll just stay away from the oils.

shwankie
November 26th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I wet my hair a bit pretty much anytime I put it up. It's the only real way to get it up at all, if it's dry it just slides right out of everything. My braids are pretty tight, though I do leave them loose enough not to give me headaches (which I admit I get pretty easily, hence no headbands). If I don't start really high on my head and do a french braid (I can't do a "Normal" braid or low braid at all--it falls out as soon as I let go no matter how tight and secure the pinnings), the whole thing is out in less than 20 minutes, even when I am not being active. I'll often wind them up into little braided buns on each side of my head, but it doesn't seem to make a difference in how fast things come undone.

I've tried gel and mousse, but neither really helps and I dislike using "product" in my hair. I see aloe is very popular here, and if I can find any maybe I'll give that a go.

I like the folded braid idea a lot, when used with a french braid or twist. It'll be a great way to help keep my hair from being damaged when I am doing other activities. And, it'll just generally keep it off of my neck, which is always good. I'm going to give it a try with my next double braids, too. Thanks for the suggestions!

It's interesting that others have heard blondes have problems with buns and braids. I wonder why that is? I was told for a very long time that I have thin hair, which it turns out is not true. What folks meant is I have fine hair, but I have a pretty good amount of it. My hair is *really* slippery. I wonder if that is the problem with blond hair in general?

Darkhorse1
November 26th, 2008, 01:46 PM
From all the blonds I know, it's due to the finer hairs. We had this discussion at a show once, as we were compairing braid thicknesses. One of the ladies laughed and said her braid was 'anorexic' compared to some of the others. I have a friend who has a alot of hair and is blond, but her hair is very fine.

vampodrama
November 27th, 2008, 01:27 AM
From all the blonds I know, it's due to the finer hairs. We had this discussion at a show once, as we were compairing braid thicknesses. One of the ladies laughed and said her braid was 'anorexic' compared to some of the others. I have a friend who has a alot of hair and is blond, but her hair is very fine.

that's true. also I think it's the case of nordic people in general - we may not ALL be blonde (I'm not) but our hair tends to be quite fine. my sister is one of those people who look like she has hair on the thinner side of average, but if you actually get your hands into her hair, it turns out the amount of hairs she has is insane, it's just all very fine, sleek and stick straight with no body wave or anything. so when her hair is down, it just hangs and looks thin :D

sahiba
November 27th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Your 'twist' thing (cute name btw) is really nice .

Rae~
November 27th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Reposting my answer from an older thread:

I mainly do Body Pump, but also some Body Attack, Body Step and sometimes the other Les Mills stuff, so I've been looking for a style that is comfortable when lying down *and* doesn't come out when I'm jumping around. I really, *really* feel the heat, so while braids are great in that they distribute the weight evenly and work well for floorwork, it drives me mad to have hair on my neck / down my back when I am hot.

So I've come up with a style that's basically a logroll, but is fastened with two Ficcares. It's extremely firm (even when running/jumping), with weight well-distributed; is comfortable when lying on the floor; and keeps all my hair off my neck. It's my standard gym style now.

I didn't have a photo of it so I just did this one quickly. It is absolutely rock solid. I usually mist the hair lightly before putting it up, and am a bit more careful about tucking the ends in, but I'm sure you get the idea. :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2390/2109191561_a1e1700ac5_m.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2390/2109191561_a1e1700ac5_b.jpg)

Top Maximas is a medium, bottom is a large.

And as an aside - yay to having got rid of most of those yucky red ends...!

KatKeRo
November 27th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Cute style.
I usually bun my hair for dancing with stick or a fork. Sometimes a ficcare.

shwankie
November 27th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Rae, that's gorgeous! And, you have beautiful hair--fantastic color! I think, if I had thicker hair, that would work really well for the Les Mills stuff (which is a lot of what I do, also, how cool to find someone else on here that does it!! Do you ever do Attack? I am getting certified to teach in January!). I am jealous (in a good way) of your thick locks!

My hair is really,though, so even barrettes on the back of my head really bother me & dig into my scalp. Combs, ponytail holders, ficarres (I have one that I love, and am wearing right now while I cook!), etc. I can't wear at all to the gym if I am doing anything that involves lying down :-( I just don't have enough hair on the back of my head to protect it from the hair toys, it seems.

Darkhorse1
November 27th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Hey there--I know scunci and goody started a line of products with 'no slip'. Now, the problem I found with them is that they have a rubberized material on them. Stops slipping, but for me, also took a lot of hair with it. My mom got me some items with this that I don't use. I'd be happy to send them your way. Hair ties....problem is, I have no idea where I've put them. She also gave me a large clip (the jaws kind). Not sure if that would work for your work outs? If you are laying down, I'd expect no. I'm thinking that perhaps the hair ties would allow you to make a braid that stays? Or is your hair so fine, it just slips out?

My cousin uses the no slip hair bands when playing sports (baseball, volleyball etc). and she loves them. I think her hair is finer than mine--she just has a lots of it.

I'm wondering if a rope braid might work for you? They have it on the dreamweaver thread/link here. Or, a scrunchie bun. Those are the easiest for me.

You take a scrunchie, and twist hair into a ponytail. On the last twist, instead of the pulling hair through, pull it only partly through. Then, take length and wind around scrunchie and tuck ends in. This makes it pretty secure. You can fiddle with the tightness so that it's comfy for you.

Rae~
November 27th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Rae, that's gorgeous! And, you have beautiful hair--fantastic color! I think, if I had thicker hair, that would work really well for the Les Mills stuff (which is a lot of what I do, also, how cool to find someone else on here that does it!! Do you ever do Attack? I am getting certified to teach in January!). I am jealous (in a good way) of your thick locks!

My hair is really,though, so even barrettes on the back of my head really bother me & dig into my scalp. Combs, ponytail holders, ficarres (I have one that I love, and am wearing right now while I cook!), etc. I can't wear at all to the gym if I am doing anything that involves lying down :-( I just don't have enough hair on the back of my head to protect it from the hair toys, it seems.

Thanks, shwankie. :flower:

I think the shape of one's head plays a major part in things, too, and the curve of Ficcarre Maximas must just fit my head nicely, hehe. I certainly couldn't wear barrettes or any other clips like this.

I've been *really* slack this year and haven't even been to the gym for months, actually! :o Aaargh. I must get back into it. I like Attack but sometimes my knees, damn them, just don't want to play nicely. (ETA: Geez, I sound geriatric! lol) So probably 80&#37; of the time, I go to Pump. Congrats on the teacher certification!

freznow
November 28th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I like to fold my braid to make it stay secure. No loose hair to get caught anywhere and it won't bounce or trouble me in any way. Here is a picture:
Braid the hair tight, tie it off. Fold it double, or triple or whatever is comfortable, and tie of with something that will hold well. I guess it could be done just as easy with two braids if you don't want anything by the neck or with twist rolls/french braids to make it even more secure. :)

This is what I do, only I have to loop it about 3 times.

For those who bun, what do you bun your hair with? I'd be afraid to stab myself with any sort of metal or something....

Darkhorse1
November 28th, 2008, 08:28 AM
freznow--that's how mine looks--I've also figured out a new style--braided length, then make a knot of the braid and it makes your hair seem shorter. For me, this is ideal because I can then put a hair net over and then my helmet.

For folded braids, I use a black nylon type scrunchie. I LOVE scrunchies! :)

shwankie
November 28th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Darkhorse, thank you for the offer of the Goodie products! Scrunches of any kind and the "no slip" hairbands fall right out of my hair, though. Same with hair ties and headbands. I have no idea why, but no matter how tight either are, they're out in no time, especially if there's any jumping around. I do use the Goodie "no tear" elastic bands are about the only hair-friendly type of ties I've found that work alright (I get the thick ones, and wrap them around several times). Claw clips tend to fall right out, as well. Braids, if they're tight and start at the top of my head, stay in pretty well. Double braids stay in better, so that is what I usually do.

Freznow, I can't bun my hair in the back at all to work out, nothing holds it. Even when I am not working out, there is no holding a bun in my head with just a stick or a comb, though I've tried about everything I can think of to make it so (I have to use a stick/fork/ficcare and at least a few bobby pins and/or mini clips/and or barrettes/combs). When working out, I can do two smaller buns at the end of my "twisty," or dual french braids, if I braid the tail. I use about a bazillion bobby pins to hold them into place, as well as those itsy-bitsy claw clips.

I think I might spend today trying some more new hairstyles. Thanks for the rope braid suggestion, I've never done one before, but I've seen them. The instructions are great, and I think they'd look good as an every-day style, too, in addition to an active style. I'm going to see how it goes. I did try a Gibson tuck yesterday, in hopes of wearing it for Thanksgiving dinner. Alas, my hair is too fine. I got it right, but there's not enough outer hair to hide ponytail holder, or to twist correctly. This happens, unfortunately, with a lot of the styles I'd like to wear. Darn genetics.

Boots
November 28th, 2008, 06:05 PM
If I'm running or spinning, I just like it off my neck- high ponies wrapped around itself or a messy bun on top of my head. For lifting, a]low pony or two with a baseball capm or a loose french braid that won't hurt to lay on.

Darkhorse1
November 28th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Hey shwankie--no worries--a friend of mine who rides has the same problem. She'll put her hair in a pony tail to ride, and within seconds, it starts to slide. No matter what style she said, it slips. She's also blond, so I figure she has fine hair as well.

The rope braid might work very well--that style didn't stay for me though, but I would think it depends on the hair and what you are doing. Good luck :)

Tami86
November 29th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Thaaaanks everyone ...! That really helped.

My hair is at BSL-close to waist but its layered so its kinda hard to scalp wash, most of hair will get wet anyway, but I might try it.. I will try not washing my hair after a workout and if its too icky then I guess ill WO..

^_^

zen_oven
November 29th, 2008, 07:10 AM
You may not have too much of a problem. I only wash once or twice a week and I work out almost every day. I only mist my hair in the mornings on non-wash day and haven't noticed any negative impacts from the sweat. Obviously your hair is different from mine so you may notice different results, but you may want to just try sticking to your preferred wash schedule and see what happens. You can always adjust later to accommodate the workouts.

Oh, one more thing. I remember months ago someone on LHC mentioning that she puts a tablespoon of conditioner in a squeeze bottle and fills it with water. She uses that on her hair after working out and it gets her through another day or so until she washes again.

Boots
November 29th, 2008, 11:03 AM

What a pretty color your hair is! I'm so jealous of how the details show so well in light hair.

sahiba
December 1st, 2008, 03:08 AM
Whenever I workout I do wo.

marla
March 21st, 2009, 09:52 PM
I have really been trying to reduce my shampoo frequency. I go running three times a week and I have noticed that while initially after my run my hair seems sweaty and wet, if I just shower without washing my hair it eventually dries and looks fine, doesn't smell, etc. But I read on another site that sweat not washed out from the hair will dry it out because sweat contains salt.

So I really don't know what to do. Any tips?

CindyLea1
March 21st, 2009, 10:10 PM
I would think that the rinse you do after would be more than enough to get whatever bit of salt in in the sweat.

If your hair is dry on your wash day, just give it a bit more conditioner. Maybe a weekly deep treatment if your hair likes those.

I would say you are just fine though.

bjjowett1993
March 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM
I agree. :)

az_sweetie01
March 21st, 2009, 10:18 PM
I run also and I really dislike leaving the sweat in my hair so, while this doesn't help you so much, I'm a bit obsessive compulsive about wash days being the same as run days. However, on the days that I can't get things to mesh, I'll shower and rinse my hair with water only with maybe a little conditioner on the ends. On the other side of the coin, when I get particularly lazy, I've never had a problem when I've not washed my scalp after a sweaty run. Hope that helps!

BranwenWolf
March 21st, 2009, 10:20 PM
I wash mine with shampoo because I have oily hair problems, and because my "work out" is at the horse barn and dust blows in my hair.

However, I am going through lots of conditioner!

spidermom
March 21st, 2009, 10:30 PM
I've found I don't like the smell if I go more than 2 days without washing the sweat out of my hair. I alternate between letting the sweat dry, CO, CWC with diluted shampoo, or simply rinsing.

hurricane_gia
March 21st, 2009, 10:48 PM
I notice that when I am have been sweating a lot, my hair seems oilier. I work outdoors, and in the summer I have to wash my hair more frequently than I do in winter. But I never feel like it's "sweat" in my hair, just oil. :shrug:

sagebabies
April 11th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I am a very active person usually. Right now I'm 8 months pregnant so I'm walking and doing yoga, but when I'm not pregnant I run and ride bike and do yoga and work out a lot.

I am currently growing my hair out, my goal is somewhere between waist and tailbone length.....but I keep wondering what on earth I'll do with my hair when I go for runs or ride my road bike?

What do all of you active people do w/ your hair when you exercise?

AnnaMarie
April 11th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I usually just put an english plait in my hair starting at the nape of my neck then fold the plait up over my head then put a cap on top. With a little bit of adjusting it fits quite nicely. This way my hair is covered and protected and its off my neck and back so I stay nice and cool. This works at the moment but if my hair gets much longer it may not fit under my hat! :)

eternallyverdan
April 11th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Congratulations! I've found that having long hair is actually much easier than having short hair when you're exercising.

For yoga, what I like to do is braid my hair down to the very end, and then fold it in half and put a hair band right up near the nape of my neck. That way you can keep it to the side for shoulder stands and shavasana instead of having a big lump on the back of your head.

For stuff like running and biking, any good solid bun will do the trick. I prefer a Chinese bun (at least I think that's what it's called), which is where you divide your hair into two parts and wrap it around a hairstick-- that one will last me a whole day of biking and walking around. I can post pictures if you don't know what I mean.

Good luck!

Peace,
Maria

vampodrama
April 11th, 2009, 05:47 AM
I just braid my hair. buns will fall out as soon as I move my head, so that's out of the question, but braids work well.

pdy2kn6
April 11th, 2009, 07:12 AM
good question, i too have difficulty with this, i tend not to go for runs because that would really pull on my bun if i did. personally i am not too keen on braiding and running because i have heard braiding too can be damaging, usually i just have a simple cinnabun and a hairstick and exercise carefully, like going on the cross trainer or bike instead on the treadmill. hope you find something that works for you :)

FreakyGreenEyes
April 11th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I like a double French braid that I can cross over and pin so it stays really well.

Sha-na-na
April 11th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Really, you want the quickest and tightest wayof putting your hair up.My solution:

Braiding and forks.

You can just English braid at the nape and secure with 2 forks or sticks, or you can do it hardcore by making 2 French braid pigtails, intertwining them at the end to make a bun and then inserting one fork. This one is a wonder but takes longer!

BTW, I use to work out with just a pony until my hair got caught in various machines. Oucheeee!:poot:

Sha-na-na
April 11th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I like a double French braid that I can cross over and pin so it stays really well.

I second that!

morguebabe
April 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I put it in a simple braid. You know a high pony tail then braid it. Seems to work.

Magdalene
April 11th, 2009, 11:23 AM
braid or a low scrunchie bun, depending on the workout. Nothing sharp to hurt myself with. Sticks are too dangerous for my taste, especially if I'm dancing.

Kerynna
April 11th, 2009, 11:32 AM
For running, I put mine in a Figre 8 bun held with a ficcarissimo. For yoga and other exercise, an english braid usually.

Flynn
April 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM
First of all, congratulations!

As for what I do with my hair, a good, tight braid starting from the nape of my neck (rather than the back of my head, like what I think you call an "english" braid is...) is usually sufficient to keep it out of the way. If it's braided too loose, it can flop around a little too much, but not so much that it is usually a problem. I tend to avoid wearing a bun, because even a very secure one tends to bounce a little when I run, and after any significant amount of time it starts to pull and hurt.

spidermom
April 11th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Dutch braid down the back. Afterward, rinse well and comb conditioner through (most days). CWC with diluted shampoo as needed (about 2 times a week).

naturalme
April 11th, 2009, 09:25 PM
What about swimming? My favourite form of exercise (if I have to choose!) is swimming, and usually my hair is just destroyed by the chlorine in the pool water. I have a huge head and have trouble finding a cap to fit. It's heading to Winter here so I won't have to worry for a few months, but what do long-haired swimmers do?

Flynn
April 11th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Swim in sea or fresh water...? ^^;;;

longhairedfairy
April 11th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I just braid it, do a bun, or make a braided bun.:)

FUNK2LOPEZ
April 11th, 2009, 11:40 PM
For swimming I usually just braid it then after I'm done in the pool wash and condition it really well. Chlorine drys out my hair when I don't wash it right afterward.

For exercising I ponytail, braid that, then bun it and it stays put.

Snowball
April 12th, 2009, 06:32 AM
For yoga I braid my hair. For taekwondo I do a bun and use a ficcare to secure it. With the ficcare it looks a little bit too elegant I think, but it works best by far for me.

kdaniels8811
April 12th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I make an orchid bun and secure it with a fork or flexi-8 and this hold while running or other exercise. For bicycling, I have to secure the bun below my helmet but it still holds securely.

shwankie
April 12th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I am also uber-active (kickboxing, hiking, swimming, weight lifting, etc.--2 hours a day/5-6 days a week). Pretty much literally the only thing that works for my very fine hair is double Dutch braids, one on each side of my head, into pigtails. Forks, etc. just fall out and/or get in my way. When I swim, I don't usually us a cap (it gives me huge headaches and pulls out my hair no matter what I do). Depending on the pool, I'll use a leave-in conditioner before braiding, then wash and condition the daylights out of it as soon as I am done. I am naturally blond, so the leave in also helps keeps the "Greens" at bay.

These seem to work really well for me, no damage.

Darkhorse1
April 12th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I find long hair far easier to put back when active. For hiking, depending on the season, I'll either use a braided ponytail or half up do. For horseback riding, since I wear a helmet, I always do an english braid. For competition, I fold the braid into a hair net.

Anje
April 12th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I'm still working out hair on the roadbike (with a helmet, of course). Nothing but a braid will fit with the helmet, and I don't like having it inevitably slither over my shoulder and hang down by the bike tube, where I fear it might get wrapped around the brake lines. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to start doubling the braid back up and securing it as a loop, now that the weather's getting good enough to get the bike out and inflate the tires.

3azza
April 12th, 2009, 11:35 AM
i usually braid...

Phalaenopsis
April 12th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Just a plain ponytail for jogging, when it gets much longer I'll consider braiding the ponytail.

When I do exercises on the floor (yoga, pilates) I do a low ponytail in a braid.

A french braid can also be comfy for a jog, but my hair in my neck will get sweaty. Double french braids are the comfiest, but they take too long to make when you want a quick run or work out.

Lillian
April 12th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I run and do pilates classes, and for those I put my hair in a bun at the nape of my neck with 4 small claw clips arount the outside. This keeps the bun quite stable, and for mat work it makes quite a nice pillow! I wouldn't/couldn't wear sticks or a Ficcare as it would be too uncomfortable and they would probably fall out.

Eolan
June 12th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Okay, I'm probably not the first one to have questions about this, but I tried to search the forums for threads about it and did'nt find anything.

I wonder: how do you take care of your hair after a good work out?

I exercise three of four times a week, sometimes two days in a row. When I exercise I obviously get sweaty, and so does my hair. I don't want to wash my hair everyday, but still I don't want to leave it sweaty and icky. I have psoriasis in my scalp, so I have to do something if I don't wash it with schampoo, like rinse it with water at least, otherwise my scalp goes nuts.

What do you ladies, and gents, do with your sweaty hair? Thankful for any tips! (And sorry about any eventual misspellings. I'm trying my best! :))

Flynn
June 12th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Er... I... leave it. If it's a little on the damp side, I brush it out and leave it down for a bit. O.o Mum and my boyfriend say it doesn't smell or anything, so I don't worry.

I know that probably doesn't help you, though... sorry...

Eolan
June 12th, 2009, 07:08 AM
It's good to know that it doesn't smell! But as you said, I don't think it'll work on me since my scalp would kill me. Stupid scalp. *mumbles* But thank you anyway! :)

Flynn
June 12th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Would your scalp permit you to get away with a water-only? Or even a conditioner-only? At least that wouldn't be as drying as shampooing...

Tap Dancer
June 12th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I exercise 2-3 times a day. :lol:

I wear a headband to keep the front of my hair from falling in my face. This also keeps it from getting sweaty. The rest of my hair is in a ponytail to keep it from sticking to my neck. I wash my hair every other day after a good cardio workout. Since I sweat a lot then, I think that's the perfect time to wash. (My scalp gets oily fast, so I'd have to wash it that often even if I didn't exercise.)

The days I don't wash my hair, I keep it up while I take a bath and wash my face. This works well. My hair doesn't get wet or stinky.

Eolan
June 12th, 2009, 07:25 AM
WO works better than CO so far. My hair gets a little weird from it, but if WO isn't damaging than maybe that's okay. It's crazy really that ones hair and scalp doesn't work together!

Eolan
June 12th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Tap Dancer: Aha! A headband! I'll go by me one of those! :)

bjt
June 12th, 2009, 07:30 AM
This may or may not help you, but sometimes I keep my hair in a braid after I exercise, and then in the shower use one hand to hold the braid to the side while use the other hand to wash the hair around my face and the crown of my head. It gets most of the sweat off. I use shampoo & condish, or just condish depending on how sweaty I am and when the last time I washed it was and my mood. I can wash and rinse it out without any product hitting the length that is in the braid. The braid will get wettish but that doesn't bother me.

Eolan
June 12th, 2009, 07:37 AM
bjt: I think I shall try to do something like that, just a scalp wash. It is the scalp that is the problem, really, so it's not at all a bad idea.

Hairbear
June 12th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I exercise 6 days a week. I just leave it. I'm WO twice a week, however. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Flynn
June 12th, 2009, 07:49 AM
WO works better than CO so far. My hair gets a little weird from it, but if WO isn't damaging than maybe that's okay. It's crazy really that ones hair and scalp doesn't work together!

A few people _only ever_ WO, so I can't see it being damaging! XD

Eolan
June 12th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Hairbear: I think your routine has something to do with it. My hair is all but product free I'm afraid.
Flynn: Errr... True. I sort of forgot about that. :P

morguebabe
June 12th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Try a scalp wash?

Flynn
June 12th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Flynn: Errr... True. I sort of forgot about that. :P

XD *Laughs* Yeah...

LaurelSpring
June 12th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I have been using a squirt bottle. I just squirt my scalp and rub it around some. Sometime I use a little diluted shampoo and squirt again but usually just squirting takes care of it.

GlassEyes
June 12th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Sweat is water soluble, so a WO wash will work.

I like to CO my hair though. It's how I normally wash anyway, and I shower after workouts and wash my hair everyday, so whatever. CO is a good alternative to WO if you think it won't get your hair clean enough.

Themyst
June 12th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I do a vigorous workout everyday and my hair and scalp also gets sweaty. I just let it go :o because my hair is just too much of a pain to wash every day. No one has complained so far ... I've been thinking about scalp only washes, maybe I'll give it a try sometime soon.

FallenAngel
June 12th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I use conditioner only most of the times I wash.

bahannas
June 12th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I usually rinse my hair in the shower and massage the water into my scalp. I put a little conditioner on the ends to keep it from getting too dry. Works great with no damage. :)

Tracionera
June 12th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks for starting this thread Eolan and for those who have replied with their after-exercise routines! I've been wondering what do do with my hair after a long workout.

Eolan
June 12th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Thank you ladies for all the good advices! I'll defenetly try them out. Tracionera, nice to know I'm not alone in my sweaty confusion. :)

Copasetic
June 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I just rinse really well will water, or do a vinegar rinse if I am really paranoid. I work out 5 times a week, but I still only shampoo my hair once a week.

Neddy
June 12th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I wash most every day, but if I'm not in the mood to wet my hair I just spritz with a little conditioner in water, scrunch my curls, and head on my way. I've never noticed a smell.
I also keep my hair up and wear a headband while exercising, so the length doesn't really get sweaty.

rose_in_bloom
June 12th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I work out 6 days a week, and do yoga on the off day. I wash my hair every other day/every two days, and just do a water rinse on the days I don't wash. It gets the sweat out and makes it easier to style.

Natalia
June 12th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Probably already been mentioned but maybe mist your roots and scalp with something soothing? I dont know what your skin likes/dislikes but maybe lavender, TTO, rosemary, disolved baking soda? I hoep you find a solution :)

Elizabeth-Aspyn
June 12th, 2009, 05:38 PM
So I love the idea of braiding it and holding it to one side while the other hand does the scrubbing of the scalp. What I'd love to figure out, is if there is a bubbly product that you can pour over your scalp to help wash away the sebum and smell without doing a full out shampoo? CO's leave too much sebum on my scalp and makes it produce faster than a diluted shampoo and conditioner.

Wouldn't it be great if something like Sprite rinsed away sebum and freshened the scalp without having to take the time to wash it? Has anyone tried a stringent rinse to lengthen the time between washings? Would tonic water work? What works for you, and what did and didn't work?

Elphie
June 12th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I work out every day, if I'm going somewhere that I need more of a freshly washed look, I'll CO. If I'm hanging around the house, I just let it be. We'll see how that works now that the weather is getting warmer.

Eolan
June 13th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Natalia: Great idea! I'll by me a misting bottle and get to it. I think tea tree oil or something similar could work.
Elisabeth-Aspyn: I totally agree, that would be great. And it would probably feel great to, I like the idea of pouring someting like Sprite over my head. (Except it would get very icky and sticky if I actually used Sprite!) Maybee sparkling mineral water? ;) Or maybee diluted baking soda or a vinegar rinse could work? If you try something that works for you, let me know!

Heidi_234
June 13th, 2009, 06:01 AM
So I love the idea of braiding it and holding it to one side while the other hand does the scrubbing of the scalp. What I'd love to figure out, is if there is a bubbly product that you can pour over your scalp to help wash away the sebum and smell without doing a full out shampoo? CO's leave too much sebum on my scalp and makes it produce faster than a diluted shampoo and conditioner.

Wouldn't it be great if something like Sprite rinsed away sebum and freshened the scalp without having to take the time to wash it? Has anyone tried a stringent rinse to lengthen the time between washings? Would tonic water work? What works for you, and what did and didn't work?
Club soda could be just what you wanted. It's like a very diluted baking soda rinse (including other salts). I use it as a rinse after swimming, if you find it helps clean sebum then go for it!

Elizabeth-Aspyn
June 14th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Eolan and Heidi_234, thank you for the support. I thought I was just crazy for thinking that it would feel good and help remove sebum without wetting my entire hair. I'll try the Club Soda thing and let you know if it lifts the sebum. :)

Eolan
June 14th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Come to think of it, maybee I should try the Club Soda thing too! It sounds so nice and soothing somehow. :)

watermelon
June 14th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Thank you for this thread. <3
Is it true that exercise stimulates hair growth? Someone told me that either exercise, or sweating, causes hair to grow faster...I know a lot of these things are old wives' tales but this one really had me curious!

minkstole
June 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I just blast it with a hairdryer for one minute and then forget about it. I seldomly wash it at the gym.

LittleOrca
June 14th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I ignore the hair and keep it up and off me. I then wash it later when I shower, since I shower every night when I work out.

Natalia
June 14th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Natalia: Great idea! I'll by me a misting bottle and get to it. I think tea tree oil or something similar could work.
Elisabeth-Aspyn: I totally agree, that would be great. And it would probably feel great to, I like the idea of pouring someting like Sprite over my head. (Except it would get very icky and sticky if I actually used Sprite!) Maybee sparkling mineral water? ;) Or maybee diluted baking soda or a vinegar rinse could work? If you try something that works for you, let me know!

Thanks Eolan :) hope it works for you. And i agree with the others the idea of soda water over my scalp sounds nice for some reason.

Heidi_234
June 15th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Eolan and Heidi_234, thank you for the support. I thought I was just crazy for thinking that it would feel good and help remove sebum without wetting my entire hair. I'll try the Club Soda thing and let you know if it lifts the sebum. :)
Good luck, and keep us posted! :)
You're not crazy, if you look at the articles you see one how to perform scalp only wash. :)

Thank you for this thread. <3
Is it true that exercise stimulates hair growth? Someone told me that either exercise, or sweating, causes hair to grow faster...I know a lot of these things are old wives' tales but this one really had me curious!
Well, there might be some truth to it actually. First of all, exercising promotes the blood flow, and it is quite known that anything that promotes blood flow to the scalp aids hair growth. Also, maybe the heat you generate when working out helps too, but it's unproven. And above all, working out makes you healthier, and health is one of the most important factors for optimal hair growth.

Juanita
June 15th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I find just water works fine for me. A quick rinse is all that is usually needed.

Madame J
June 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I read somewhere that the salt drying in your hair from sweat can damage it, so I try to rinse it out with plain water as soon as possible after exercising if I'm not planning on washing it. I definitely think my hair feels nicer if I rinse it out right away rather than leaving it sweaty and rinsing it out later in the day.

Anywhere
August 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hi (I'm new here),
So school starts soon, and I'm just wondering, whats a good way to wear hair for gym class? My hair is only about 29" long, but I still find it hard to wear it down like other girls do for gym class. If its just in a pony tail then it still gets in my face on windy days or when I bend down to pick something up, and I heard that hair ties aren't the best thing for hair anyway, but would hair sticks even stay put?
Does anyone have any good way to keep hair out of the way for this?:confused:

Fractalsofhair
August 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM
Scrunchie bun?

Sha-na-na
August 21st, 2009, 07:21 PM
Ficcare in a Cinnabun ought to work out. Or a Ficcare in a log roll. :)

Fairlight63
August 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM
How about a "Messy bun" with a elastic headband to keep the short hair out of your face?
When I am exercising I just HATE it when the fringe around my face get in my eyes or mouth!

Candide
August 21st, 2009, 07:52 PM
What I like to do for gym or dance is to braid two pigtails down to about my collarbones and leave long tails. Then, fasten them together (I like to sort of tie them in a knot by looping one around the other) where you've tied off your braids. You can do this in front of you and then flip it over your head to the back. I've found this is great for dance classes (when I turn, I don't thwack someone with my braid) or yoga (lying on my back is comfortable, and I don't have a big knot pressing in the back of my head) With a little practice, you can do this one with just one elastic. It looks cute, too.

Curlsgirl
August 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM
I like a braid when I work out then you can pin it up if you don't want it on your neck with a fork or a Ficcare or even pins if you can make it stable.

walkinglady
August 21st, 2009, 10:04 PM
I usually wear a cinnabun or clamped bee butt. A ficcare is my very favorite hair tool to hold my bun. My hair never budges from where I put it! In my book they hold like know other.

My second favorite is a simple braid.

LittleOrca
August 21st, 2009, 11:06 PM
I don't have gym class, but I do goto the gym almost daily. I usually put it in a log roll with a ficcare or a figure 8 bun. The cinnamon bun became too lose real soon after a few minutes on an elliptical, but then my cinnamon buns aren't very good. :o

Heidi_234
August 22nd, 2009, 12:21 AM
When I had gym class my hair was longish (not that much shorter than 33) too, I didn't know any styles, just the plain ol' ponytail. I can't remember my hair being a problem. There were girls with waist and hip length hair and they just wore it in a ponytail. So you bend down and you suddenly see your hair, no biggy. I don't think it would be that much of an annoyance frankly, from my experience.
Scrunchie bun, or a doubled ponytail (were you don't pull all the length though at some point when doubling the scrunchy over the base) could be good too.

Aditi
August 22nd, 2009, 12:24 AM
I think any kind of bun which you are comfortable with and secure it with hair pins and if you have bangs or such you can also wear a headband to keep them out of the way :)

Schnail
August 22nd, 2009, 12:54 AM
If you know how, I generally find that a french (or dutch) braid holds quite well.

Renbirde
August 22nd, 2009, 01:13 AM
I'd say, a loose ponytail base plus a bun of some sort, though braids and pony variations would certainly work too.

If you're worried about a stick sliding out, look for the ones with textured midpieces and wide finals, rather like this (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28510560)and this (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=20819357), or the ones where the finish is slightly matte instead of glassy. I have a pair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3262&pictureid=47860)I made for myself from a driftwood twig that I really like-- I just knocked off the snaggy twiggy pits and pointed the ends, and they were all set. It took me less than an hour, and the only tool I used was a pocket knife-- very easy! I've never had a problem with them slipping.

You might also look into slides (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=29158072)-- they're like a hairstick plus an extra piece that pinches the hair against the stick. You can find a lot of inexpensive ones made from a piece of leather with a hole punched in either end for the stick. If you get a super wide one, you might be able to fit it across your whole bun. You can get them in a zillion different shapes and colors. MagnusXP has a red one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29173) that looks like a dragon. (Very epic!) Here's (http://shop.ideen-handgemacht.de/index.php?cat=c13_Haarkringel.html&XTCsid=9d2c692d0158ce3d567a5b9c4491c203) some snazzy wooden ones. And here (http://www.oberondesign.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1030)'s a pewter one.

Another option is a flexi-8. (http://www.flexi8.com/) The stick is attached to the slide, making the whole works very unlikely to slip out of your hair.

HTH. :D

Medievalmaniac
August 22nd, 2009, 03:30 AM
It sounds to me like this person isn't talking about upper levels (college, etc.), but rather about a high school gym class - in which case time is going to be an issue for her. Unless she wears her hair to school already up in these fashions, some of them will take too long and she will be penalized and tardy every day (I'm thinking of braids and such, with long hair, and the amount of time they take in some cases). By the time you get to gym, get your stuff organized, get your locker open, and get changed, there's not much time left for the hair thing.

Also - I sympathize with you about feeling the hair's in the way - when I am actually exercising and trying to focus on my workout, I am easily distracted - I haaaate to feel a braid/pony thunking against my back and flipping over my shoulders, and I really hate "the wispies" getting in my mouth and slathering themselves across my cheeks. It's a total distraction for me (I LOVE my long hair!!! Don't get me wrong!!! But as a former semi-pro athlete, I also feel very strongly about my workouts.)

If this is in fact the case, your best options - depending upon the length and thickness of your hair - will be either just to wrap the length into a simple twist and twirl bun secured with a scrunchie (good for runs and jumping activities as well as any activity requiring you to come into contact with another person's body)), or to use a large claw (good for aerobics - type workouts and anything where you won't necessarily come into contact with someone else). In either case, finish off with a thin headband to keep the strays tamed. You can also have a water spray bottle in your locker ($1.00 or so) - a mist each on the sides and top followed by a smoothing hand will help keep your strays in place for the hour or so a regulation gym class lasts.

Good luck!

Fiferstone
August 22nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
When I work out I do a long braid which starts as a ponytail (elastic at the base) then I braid the ponytail itself and secure at the end with a second elastic. It's off my neck, which is important, and I don't mind having the braided tail hanging down, but if you really don't want to have the tail, you could coil it up on the back of your head and secure it with pins or a clamp like a ficcare (?) - don't own one of those yet, so I'm not sure.

My hair was 31.5 inches when last I measured, I probably should measure again since I think it's a bit longer now...

skydancer7
August 22nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
My opinion is that metal hairclips and/or hairsticks are a bad idea for gym class. If a ball comes flying at your head and hits the clip or stick, it could really hurt. Also, I am picturing some horrible accident where the hairstick gets dislodged and goes flying into somebody's eye. We weren't allowed to wear any hard metalic objects in our hair when I was on the soccer team.

Scrunchies and elastics in a bun or braid will probably work best. My favorite was the ponytail pulled only halfway through ("messy bun").

incogneeto
August 22nd, 2009, 03:13 PM
I have the same problem and tend to use a braid --I like a french braid, and I use a barrette to keep it back at the top and start the french braid from there. Sometimes, friends would french braid it for me. The only thing I didn't like was that if we were doing sit-ups or something that required you on your back, your braid would get pulled on. I sometimes tucked the tail into my shirt.

Quixii
August 22nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
For PE I've never had problems with just a pony tail. Lately for days when I have some extra time at the beginning, I'll braid it.
For gymnastics I need more elaborate hair styles, but for PE it rarely seems to get in the way.
Edit: I should clarify that my braid was the one described by Fiferstone - ponytail first, then braid that.

Fractalsofhair
August 22nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Medievalmaniac-I second the head band idea, it really does keep strays out of my face!

spidermom
August 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
I just read an article on AOL that says sweat and sebum provide a very welcoming environment for bacterial overgrowth, so don't skip the suds. It stands to reason for me. I work out nearly daily and have been rotating CWC with CO or rinse only, and sometimes I get unpleasant smells, especially if I bun my wet hair for awhile. It will smell like the bottom of a laundry bag when I let it down. I think I might have to go with a CWC every time.

Amara
August 23rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
I don't think there's negative impacts from sweat but I just LOOOOOVE washing my hair after a good long workout. I either do a scalp wash or a CO. I tend to alternate, my hair likes variety. :)

Elphie
August 23rd, 2009, 04:00 PM
Hmmm, I haven't noticed my hair smelling funky and I've been working out daily all summer. I've switched over to a CO routine to accomodate the extra washing I've been doing. I've maaaaaaybe used shampoo once a week? Something like that at any rate. Good to know at least.

JamieLeigh
August 24th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I live in the extreme South (Alabama, actually), and we have majorly sweaty days, just about everyday from May til October. I shower every day, so when my hair is sweaty and I'm not ready to CO, I'll just wet my head and rub my scalp gently to loosen up any dirty stuff and let it rinse off. That way I don't feel I'm over-washing my hair, and it actually dries faster when I don't use any product at all in it besides water. :)

Peregrine
August 24th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I workout about three times a week. I just do WO or WO scalp wash depending on how my length is that day. I haven't noticed any problems.

chotee
August 25th, 2009, 02:22 AM
I live in a tropical island and i workout 1 1/2 hours of aerobics everyday including steps and running. Which means a lot of sweat. Somedays can be worse when i cannot skip a wash but there are many days when i can actually air-dry for a while and skip washing it. After drying i might put it in a bun or something. I think i read in George Michael's book that sweat is acidic and since scalp is acidic too, it won't harm the hair but too much water can....and if we shampoo over the years the hair can become more dry...so condition it as much as you can if you tend to wash it a lot. I used to and it took me a while to come out of the habit...but yes, different people have different experiences....so u might have to experiment and find a routine...:smile:

bttrfly857
August 25th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I wash after each workout (shampoo bars), but I also wash every day whether I work out or not. So I guess I'm not that helpful!

brok3nwings
August 25th, 2009, 06:49 AM
i normally dont do anything, just let it dry by itself

littleWren
August 25th, 2009, 09:28 AM
A plain 3 strand braid will work depending on the activity you just have to be careful not to whip anyone in the face with it same goes for ponytails. For PE I usualy dutchbraid my hair thread it under the braid on my scalp and through the side and tie it together with a ribbon. If you dont have time, put your hair in a ponytail twist and coil the length around the base like you would for a figure 8 bun and secure the end with a second elastic for me this usualy holds realy well. ...wow I'm really bad at explaining things.

AJoifulNoise
August 25th, 2009, 09:33 AM
When I am doing something active and I don't want my hair to budge I put it in a cinnabun with little clips all around the edge. Like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/03.jpg

I've never had that fail me.

LovingLife
October 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
I've never been good at buns and with my chin length hair it just does not work! I just had a trim, I know most are against it but the hairdresser is a lovely woman and those dead ends were dragging everything down for me... probably because my hair is curly. I recently started some sports and I would like to distinguish myself from the males on the team with my hair. However obviously I can not wear my hair down...

Any suggestions?:D:D:D:D

mbaker223
October 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
You could try the lara croft doo. LoL That's what my husband calls it, it's really an old greek do that works pretty well for most lengths, here's a photo. It's just taking sections of your hair and putting an elastic in at certain points all the way down. You start by taking your bangs and putting them in an elastic, then you take the section just above your ears and add it to the ponytail made by your bangs and you put an elastic around both the bang ponytail and the new section and you keep going til you reach just above the ends. Hope this helps!

http://chiclooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/fasl04-hair-how-tos.jpg

Anlbe
October 2nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
I only do 'keep fit' stuff now but I used to row and fence (10-12 training session a week, really silly come to think about it), and whilst it may not have been the most fetching look ever, two pigtails were by far and away the most practical hairstyle for training as it was secure and I could do it in my sleep. For regattas and competition I'd do two french braids merging into one which was less prone to 'school girl' comments.

heatherdazy
October 2nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
If the boys on the team aren't wearing ponytails, why not just do that? (though at your length you may need one of those wrap around headbands)

Pburgh56
October 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
How about wearing it half up and half down so the bangs arent flapping around and you can wear a thin elastic headband too :) It would look cute.

JamieLeigh
October 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
I didn't see anywhere in your post that you have bangs.....so I'm not sure where those replies above are getting that. Lol. :p

I would suggest pigtails also, those would look cute at your length, and would keep your hair out of the way as well.

LovingLife
October 8th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I didn't see anywhere in your post that you have bangs.....so I'm not sure where those replies above are getting that. Lol. :p

I would suggest pigtails also, those would look cute at your length, and would keep your hair out of the way as well.

How about wearing it half up and half down so the bangs arent flapping around and you can wear a thin elastic headband too :) It would look cute.

Thank you, firstly everyone because I didn't think I would get so many helpful people! Rightly I do not have bangs! :D :bounce:however I do have longer sections at the front, my friends call it the 'jade look' from the animated jackie chan! So of course the bangs things would help! I like the pigtail idea since it would look cute of course! However would it be healthy for my hair since the pigtails would have to be quite tight in order to keep...? :thumbsup: Please keep 'em coming! you are all amazing! :sun:

LovingLife
October 8th, 2009, 05:52 AM
http://chiclooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/fasl04-hair-how-tos.jpg

That look is stunning!

For regattas and competition I'd do two french braids merging into one which was less prone to 'school girl' comments.
Good idea, competitions do get quite... competitive

If the boys on the team aren't wearing ponytails, why not just do that? (though at your length you may need one of those wrap around headbands)

Wrap around headband??
And please keep them coming! They're lovely!

Tap Dancer
October 8th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Because your hair is chin length, it's probably too short for a ponytail. How about a wide cloth headband? It's comfy and it'll keep the hair from sticking to your face and forehead. :)

My hair is just a bit below my shoulders. When I exercise, I wear a cloth headband and a low ponytail. Hair doesn't stick to my neck this way.

Arniky
October 8th, 2009, 08:07 AM
pony tail/buns would be okay