PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for working out, exercising and sports

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

PrincessIdril
February 26th, 2013, 07:06 AM
How I style my hair for excerise largely depends on what I'm doing.

For fencing I always put my hair in a braid (just a simple English one, I can't French braid for the life of me) as it needs to fit under my mask/under my jacket. When I'm running I find that a sock bun is the most comfortable option.

Naiadryade
February 26th, 2013, 09:01 AM
When I'm doing hot, active things, I almost always put my hair in 2 braids. Keeps it off my neck and ears, and since my hair is only BSL they don't get in the way. I secure them with scrunchies, which aren't as damaging as elastics. You could also try spin pins for buns--non-damaging and hold very well. if you don't want it on the back of your head for when you're lying down, try two on either side of your head, or a high bun near the top of your head.

Mya
February 26th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Crown braid, definitely.

I need hair to stay put even when I jump and do other athletic things. Other styles or braids didn't last long or came in the way.

If you find it difficult to do a crown braid, you can do a normal braid, then use some hairpins and pin it on your head like it was a crown braid or a spiral braid. This way you distribute the weight of your hair like a crown braid does, so it doesn't bounce (causing the hairstyle to destroy itself), doesn't make bumps (that could be annoying when lying on the ground), doesn't overstress a point of your scalp.

kaydana
February 26th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Loepsie's interlaced braids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M) are the best hairstyle I've ever found for exercise. Super secure, comfortable to lie on, and the weight is nicely distributed. And it's much quicker and easier than a crown braid.

jacqueline101
February 26th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Bun or crown braid.

Naiadryade
February 26th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Loepsie's interlaced braids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M) are the best hairstyle I've ever found for exercise. Super secure, comfortable to lie on, and the weight is nicely distributed. And it's much quicker and easier than a crown braid.

:agape: That is SO beautifiul and SO simple!! It's completely contained, flat on the head and out of the way... I bet it would be really comfortable under a winter hat, which is something I have a need for. And yet, it still manages to look elfish and graceful-feisty. I'm in love, I have to do this! Thank you! :crush:

browneyedsusan
February 26th, 2013, 12:42 PM
DD (16) plays lacrosse in a hawser braid. She puts it high up, near the top of her head, (no helmet). The ends all stay in the thing, and it eats up some length. It still uses elastics, so might not be a good solution for you, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U3oHm8I-gs

honeybunnie8
June 29th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I am curious what everyone does with their hair for exercising.

Right now I just do a side braid but i can imagine it being annoying if you are bouncing around a lot. What do you do to keep it out of the way that doesn't cause to much damage?

Alexblue
June 29th, 2013, 02:27 PM
For me a french braid but the tie is quite high up, just below my shoulders. If I have have the elastic right at the bottom it bounces around too much and annoys me :-)

Hair sticks and claw clips do not stay put for me, but a top knot with a scrunchie also works.

ladylowtide
June 29th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Top of the head bun squished into a very large no slip jaw clip. Everything else flies out. I mean sometimes I will do a ponytail but not when doing situps, or inverted stuff.

leslissocool
June 29th, 2013, 02:35 PM
English braid is THE ONLY thing that stays in when I do Insanity, crown braids are a good option and crown twists if your hair is long enough.

millyaulait
June 29th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Topknot held with a fork or stick.

It's solid, nothing hanging down to annoy me, ALL hair away from face and neck. It's perfect! :)

jacqueline101
June 29th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Pony tail.

Fairlight63
June 29th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Nautilus Bun held with a Ficcare. It does not go anywhere.

DancingQueen
June 29th, 2013, 03:54 PM
I have to go with a ponytail. If it is cardio, and not much is done on the floor, I have to wear a high ponytail. It keeps the hair in place, and it holds perfectly. I gues a french braid would be my next choice, but I don't think it would hold very long...

seaj
June 29th, 2013, 04:54 PM
French braid for me, but I think the ultimate exercise hairstyle is a senco/spiral braid. There's nothing loose, it's flat, secure, and the weight of the hair is distributed evenly. The only downside is that it's hard to do on yourself.

TheMechaGinger
June 29th, 2013, 05:02 PM
When my hair was <bsl I would pull it into a folded pony tail thing, ya know on the last pull through with the elastic you only pull it half way? I never learned what that was called. It kept it up and off my neck and was fast. But now that I'm around waist the tail is too long and it sticks to me, so I do a high cinnibun with a big strong claw clip or french pigtails

labailaora
June 29th, 2013, 05:32 PM
A sleek, high(ish) bun held with four spin pins (occasionally an elastic if there's any loose bits, just for looks) - I use it for my various dance classes as well as swimming and cross-training in the gym, and it stays rock-solid. It's my preferred updo because it can usually get away without being washed every day.

If I'm going to be doing something that requires a lot of laying on my back on the floor (yoga/Pilates/core exercises), then I tend to go for an English braid (usually in a ponytail) or side-braid, which has the disadvantage of getting my hair gross and sweaty. I haven't yet found a better solution, sadly, so I'll be keeping an eye out for other people's tricks!

Shoga
June 29th, 2013, 10:46 PM
I just do a top knot thing, a bun right on top of my head. I'm not even sure what kind of bun it is, just my own failed version of a celtic knot. I hold it in place with either spin pins or a claw clip (looks silly, but I'm only exercising lol). Very high buns are the only thing that works for me because I do a lot of work that requires laying down. Braids get my hair all sweaty at my neck, swing, and rub on my clothes/grind into the floor more than I'd prefer.

Islandgrrl
June 29th, 2013, 11:02 PM
High bun held with 2 or 3 Ficcares. It's about the only thing that holds it all while I run.
Side braid doubled up and held with hair friendly elastics for yoga.
English braid for cycling...nothing else will fit under the helmet.

kidari
June 29th, 2013, 11:19 PM
a high cinnabun held in place with 2 medium sized claw clips... it looks ugly but works the best for me

Nev
June 30th, 2013, 03:50 AM
I put my hair in a low bun, it's secure and out of the way. I tried ponytails, high buns and braids... but low buns work best for me.

inertia
June 30th, 2013, 04:11 AM
I do a lazy wrap bun on the top of my head. So far it has stayed put, and I find it comfortable and quick. Also it keeps the bulk of my hair away from the sweatiest and hottest parts of my scalp.

LadyCelestina
June 30th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Single braid.Top knot if swimming.When doing sports with lots of jumping and bouncing,an elastic held top knot pulls the roots of my hair.
I never go for a stick-held updo,the sticks fly out of my hair if I shake my head a lot.

Good compromise was 2 braids /2 braids winded up into 2 buns.That's my choice for gigs and concerts.And hey,that's actually a form exercise :D

Phalaenopsis
June 30th, 2013, 05:02 AM
I have to go with a French braid as mentioned in previous posts. It's more secure than a regular English braid and you can still lay your head on the floor without being uncomfortable. You still have the tail of the braid in the way though.

shutterpillar
June 30th, 2013, 07:25 AM
I put mine in a french or english braid, and since my bangs are only chin length and don't quite stay put in the braid, i'll wear a soft headband as well.

Chromis
June 30th, 2013, 07:30 AM
The search function will bring up loads of threads with lots of ideas on workout hairdos....I just responded to another one quite recently I could swear!

I like to wear a log roll with a large Ficcare with most active things like running and weightlifting. If I am going to be doing anything that involves going on my back like yoga or bench pressing I wear a braided nautilus bun with a sturdy stick like a Timberstone Turnings stick. The braided buns are great because then you just take out the hair stick and now you don't have a lump on the back of your head. When you stand up, you can quickly whip it back up again.

Neneka
June 30th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Anything that doesn't touch my neck. All the bins that I can do at this length have been sturdy enough. I have done paranda bun and sock bun and also cheaters easy hair stick bun. Bun roller also stays in place well. Lol, I wish my selection was larger..

peacecat3
June 30th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I ride my bicycle about an hour a day, so my hair has to fit under my helmet. I usually do a simple nape braid, or a segmented ponytail. Sometimes I use my snood, and tuck my hair into that, and just clip it at the temples.

Kyla
June 30th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Either an english braid or a high bun held with about five crimped hair pins.

patienceneeded
June 30th, 2013, 07:59 PM
I have found success recently with a Lazy Wrap Bun held with a Jeterfork. It has held through a 3-mile jog, a 6-mile hike, camping, etc.

Aliped
June 30th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Topknot held with a fork or stick.

It's solid, nothing hanging down to annoy me, ALL hair away from face and neck. It's perfect! :)
Agreed! Perfect for me too :)

BlueMuse
June 30th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Nautilus or lazy wrap for days when I'm biking, lifting and doing pilates and a combination braided nautilus (which turns into a braided ponytail during run time) for the days I'm doing pilates and my 5k runs.

lunalocks
July 1st, 2013, 04:48 AM
Lately it has been a high bun (topknot) held with a fork. For biking, I wear a low infinity held with spin pins. It misses the helmut.

Hiriel
July 1st, 2013, 05:57 AM
Nautilus bun with a ketylo. Does. Not. Move.
If a bun will be in the way (bench press or other stuff requiring me to lie on my back, for example), I do one or two English braids, but I prefer the bun, because it keeps the hair away from the worst sweat, and keeps me safe from flailing braids :)

My hair is between TBL and classic (43ish inches maybe? Haven't measured in a long while) and quite thick (iii, but only just)

Lippytoes
July 1st, 2013, 11:00 AM
For dance class I like

- a braided bun held with small claw clips (not pretty, but very sturdy)
- crown braid/coronet braid (AWESOME - stays put, allows for stuff on the floor as well as bouncing)
- interlaced braids (ditto)

A single braid will do in a pinch, but my hair's long enough that a braid will smack my dance partners even if it's tied off quite high.

Vrindi
July 1st, 2013, 11:30 AM
I have many styles. My favorites are a ballerina bun. Or a single English braid, a French braid, French braid pigtails tied together at the ends. I like this style for running. It creates a cool space on my neck, and tying the pigtails together at the ends keeps them from flopping around too much. Also, I can wind my ear buds around the braids to keep them in place. When I'm climbing, I like buns or battle braids that take up the length, so I don't grab my hair or dip the ends in my chalk bag when I chalk up. For the buns, I will do anything that is secure, from a cinnabun to a braided bun, but I secure them with spin pins, not forks or sticks. Forks or sticks would be kind of dangerous for the stuff I do, and my fine hair will spit them out of even the most secure updo when I'm really active. Pony tails are just asking for a mess of tangles for me, and hair sticking everywhere.

trolleypup
July 1st, 2013, 08:34 PM
Pony scrub. Which, being cotton, also sucks the sweat away from my scalp rather than letting it drip down my face.

riceball
July 1st, 2013, 11:19 PM
Dutch or French braid if I'm jumping around a lot or getting down on the floor and back up. I have barely WL hair. It stays just fine. If I'm out running I just put it in a pony tail with a banana clip. I hate using elastics for ponytails because random hairs get pulled.

It has to be a quick hairstyle for me. I don't want to be using half my workout time just to put my hair up.

artemishunt
July 2nd, 2013, 12:48 AM
French braid with a ribbon so you can secure the ends without using an elastic. Also a cloth headband to keep bangs out of the way

patienceneeded
July 2nd, 2013, 12:48 AM
Pony scrub. Which, being cotton, also sucks the sweat away from my scalp rather than letting it drip down my face.

I'm probably asking a really dumb question, but here I go anyway.

What on earth is a Pony Scrub?

Thanks!

PrincessBob
July 2nd, 2013, 02:18 AM
I've seen DaveDecker's ponyscrub. Think of it like a cotton bandana skullcap with a bun cover at the back. You slip it on your head, then role and tuck your ponytail into the pouch and tie it in place (or something like that).

sunshine-locks
July 2nd, 2013, 02:27 AM
I usually go for a messy bun with a headband, putting my fringe back with it :)

Neneka
July 2nd, 2013, 02:44 AM
I normally wear things that wont fall off if I exercise so I rarely have to change it if I go jogging. If I have to change it I just do a ponytail.

trolleypup
July 2nd, 2013, 06:45 AM
I'm probably asking a really dumb question, but here I go anyway.

What on earth is a Pony Scrub?

Thanks!
Sorry, linkie... (https://www.blueskyscrubs.com/scrub-hats/womens-surgical-scrub-hats/pony-collection/)

Heavy Raindrops
July 16th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I find that long hair is a nuisance to exercise with, so my question is how do you wear your hair for exercise? I always wear a ponytail myself.

Vanilla
July 16th, 2013, 11:46 AM
I wear a Dutch or French braid.

sumidha
July 16th, 2013, 12:05 PM
A braid if I'm running, a flattish cinnamon bun if I'm dancing or doing other floor involved things.

Arien
July 16th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Messy bun :).

faellen
July 16th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I don't really exercise much, only horse riding, for which I use a simple English braid usually.

oatmealpie
July 16th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Here's a recent thread on the topic: link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=113143)

CurlyCaz
July 16th, 2013, 12:40 PM
In a bun with a headband.

Rebecka
July 16th, 2013, 01:25 PM
A braid or bun, I don't want the hair to be loose :P

Warda
July 16th, 2013, 01:46 PM
A bun and sometimes a ponytail. I cant do a braid while exercising

Emanuelle
July 16th, 2013, 01:48 PM
A low ponytail.

Leeloo
July 16th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Low ponytail or English braid.

Mizumi
July 16th, 2013, 04:43 PM
When i don't have time, i do high ponytail, when I have few minutes I do English braid (for running and dynamic exercising) or lazy wrap bun (for gymnastics). When I exercise at home I have my hair always in a bun :)

luxepiggy
July 16th, 2013, 04:52 PM
For dance fitness classes (Zumba or U-Jam) or cardio fitness machines at the gym, I first secure my hair into a low ponytail at the nape with a regular ouchless elastic, then braid the ponytail and secure the end with a non-slip elastic.

For swimming I normally go with two low braids, secured top & bottom with ouchless elastics.

AmberJewel
July 16th, 2013, 05:09 PM
For walking/running type exercise usually a low ponytail/braid/bun. It varies. For swimming I usually have it half-up just because anything else is a too much of a pain to untangle afterwards.

gossamer
July 16th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Most recently, a cinnabun held with five spin pins. In the past I've also exercised with my hair in a braided nautilus bun.

ExpectoPatronum
July 16th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Either a ponytail braid or a bun.

Kelikea
July 16th, 2013, 05:50 PM
High ponytail, bunned with spin pins or claw clips.

kdaniels8811
July 16th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Sock bun. Does not move no matter how much I bounce around.

FuzzyBlackWaves
July 16th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Loose, standard bun on one side, usually the right, so that it doesn't interfere with sit ups or rub against the floor.

cosmic crusader
July 16th, 2013, 08:14 PM
I've been making a big pin curl at the nape and catching it with a silk scarf! Pretty much anything else causes breakage.

SerinaDaith
July 16th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Under a scarf for hiking, climbing and outdoor stuff. Usually lace braided under the scarf. Indoors however I happen to feel like for the day. I try to change it up a bit every day to avoid stressing any one area too much.

jacqueline101
July 16th, 2013, 09:50 PM
I wear a pony tail or twin braids.

junglenavaar
July 16th, 2013, 10:27 PM
right now, i dont have enough hair to tie it. i do clip it off my forehead cuz hair on my face as i exercise tends to bring out acne. when i had longer hair, i had it in a messy bun. i just dont like the feeling of having sweaty hair on my neck as i work out. i tend to sweat a lot, and hair just makes it more icky!

Brileeka
July 16th, 2013, 10:46 PM
If I'm going to be sweating I can't stand my hair even touching me. I twist it up into a cinnamon bun and then clip it vertically so it holds in place. I use a big banana clip, It gets all my hair out of the way and kinda makes me look like a Spanish person. :o

Haybop
July 17th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Ponytail through the helmet bands when cycling - ponytail or quick bun thing for other. When it gets longer I'll have to look at other ways but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

farmlass
July 17th, 2013, 02:07 AM
Always a bun, currently a nautilus, unless it's something that involves a helmet, in which case an English braid. At TB I find a pony tail or braid annoying if you're running!

Zebra Fish
July 17th, 2013, 02:40 AM
If hiking or climbing - in a buff, if running - in a low braid or a lazy wrap bun, pilates or other kind of "down" exercises - lwb or some other bun on the top of my head, for riding - low braid or some kinf of low (half)bun, for swimming I'm still figuring it out (I kind of dont like having elastics on wet hair).

catasa
July 17th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Usually just put it back in a low messy/non-complicated bun with a thick metal-free elastic band. May have to re-bun it sometimes during the session but that does not really bother me :)

rut.de.leu
July 17th, 2013, 03:27 AM
I run, walk, swim, and practice yoga.
I wear a ponytail or a bun (I have a couple of forks that hold through anything); I do a braid or bun with my hair coated in coconut oil if swimming.

alyaziaaah
July 17th, 2013, 04:26 AM
half up do with a small clawclip and the length i put in a medium high ponytail:D

butterfly_dream
July 17th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I wear a high cinnamon bun secured with spin pins or claw clips. It holds well.

Heavy Raindrops
July 17th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Here's a recent thread on the topic: link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=113143)

Thank you, I tried to find a thread on it but I didn't do a good job on that clearly. :o

Loose, standard bun on one side, usually the right, so that it doesn't interfere with sit ups or rub against the floor.

A side bun sounds like a great idea! :p

lulana
July 17th, 2013, 12:36 PM
i often do a french braid and tuck it or wear a nautilus bun with a M Flexi

Tristania
July 17th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I usually wear mine in a bun on top of my head, so that my hair doesn't get in the way when I do tricep extensions or other things on the floor. I also wear a headband to control any flyaways.

Skade
July 17th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Depends on the workout, if it is a low intense work out I use different buns. If it is hard intense, like running, I do a ponytail braid. Itīs not ideal but I think buns have a tendency to fall apart during workout, while my braids don't.

shutterpillar
July 17th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Heavy Raindrops: I find that using google to search the forums actually works better than using the search option that the forum provides. So for this topic, I would search something like "exercise hair LHC." Whatever I need, then I just tack "LHC" or "Long Hair Community" on the end of it.

To answer the thread question: If I am running, I wear mine in an english or french braid with a stretchy cotton headband, as I am still growing out my bangs. It'll be a while until they are able to stay secure in my braid.
If I am doing bodyweight exercises or hiking, then I usually put it up in a cinnabun with two spin pins. :)

Delphi
July 17th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Right now, when I run, I wear a braid for lack of better options. I would rather wear a braid but my braid always falls apart after a while. I haven't tried a Nautilus bun yet so we will see.

silvertongue
July 17th, 2013, 07:11 PM
I wear my hair in a ponytail because I like swishing it when I run/walk. Honestly though, if my neck isn't too sweaty, I let my hair down (bad)... makes me feel free, heh.

I'm sure buns or braids would be a good call.

patienceneeded
July 17th, 2013, 07:18 PM
I'm a runner and I usually wear a basic English braid, with a (damage free) ponytail holder at the base and at the end of the braid. If I don't braid my hair I put it in a Lazy Wrap Bun and secure it with a Ficcare.

DinaAG
July 17th, 2013, 08:15 PM
a messy bun something between a ponytail and a bun :)

mykle
July 18th, 2013, 01:23 AM
In a ponytail. I am learning to braid so I will probably transition to those once I get them down a little better.

labailaora
July 18th, 2013, 08:34 AM
In a bun secured with spin pins for most dance/cardio/swimming, and then in a low braid for anything that will require lying on my back (Pilates, yoga, stretching).

Ellemaisie
July 18th, 2013, 03:11 PM
A ponytail or a braid.

I find even the most heavily-secured bun comes apart when I tumble.

Meadowsweet
July 18th, 2013, 03:18 PM
In a ponytail. I find that buns, even well secured ones, always flop & unravel with lots of jumping around & sweating!

firefly42
July 18th, 2013, 03:55 PM
English braid, mostly, french braids for swimming as my hair escapes the english braid and then tangles horribly.

Kyla
July 18th, 2013, 04:12 PM
In a braid for running, in a bun with about five crimped pins for anything else, including yoga, swimming, etc.

MiamiPineapple
July 18th, 2013, 08:17 PM
In a tight bun on top of my head with a headband.

Violeta
July 18th, 2013, 08:38 PM
When I train myself I wear it in a bun. When I train clients in a ponytail or bun.

browneyedsusan
July 20th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Ponytail for outside cardio. Nape pony for strength, stretching--need to lay on my back for a couple of exercises.

HollyG
July 20th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Bun, the only exercise i really do i cycling so i just do a low bun as i have a helmet on

jtl45
July 20th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Top knot!
Jim

Lolaaa
July 26th, 2013, 01:51 PM
I braid the sides into a bun

Anne10
July 26th, 2013, 03:12 PM
I pull it into a bun at the nape of my neck, then put on a baseball cap.

gthlvrmx
July 26th, 2013, 03:25 PM
nautilus bun on top of the head and spin pin it. it holds like a rock and it works really well :P it doesnt pull back and forth pulling on the scalp. :P

alanna.
July 26th, 2013, 08:48 PM
For lifting weights I wear a top knot. For running, I wear a hat & do a bun held with a scrunchie or a wide cotton headband.

Pixie2013
August 4th, 2013, 07:55 PM
I am just starting over in my hair growth cycle. I cut from BSL to pixie about a year ago, and though I enjoyed the short hair I have decided to grow it out again. When my hair was long I feel that I did some damage by putting it up in a ponytail when exercising (which I do almost daily). I used the hair-friendliest ponytail holders I could find, but my hair is super-slippery and I had to make the ponytail tight to make sure it would stay in place while running or playing tennis. I was doing other damaging things to my hair, mainly frequent coloring, but I am quite certain that the daily ponytails broke my hair too. I tried hair bands and headbands but with my slippery hair they would just slide right off. Who has grown out slippery hair? During the growing-out phase how did you manage to keep it off your face and neck while exercising? I know that once it gets long enough I will be able to braid it, but I want to minimize the ponytail damage until that time.

hafattack
August 4th, 2013, 08:11 PM
I like using a top knot that is held by a fork. Forks have the most secure hold with the least amount of pulling for me, and it keeps it out of the way. and of course forks are HAIR FRIENDLY

alexis917
August 4th, 2013, 09:51 PM
I'm a huge fan of Dutch braids while I work out, but during races I like braided ponytails.
High enough to not have all the heat of my hair on me, but confined enough I won't fling sweat.
Gross, but helpful during long runs in hot weather.

Leeloo
August 5th, 2013, 12:44 AM
I used to make several small ponytails in a row. Starting at the very to of my head to get the bangs in, then make another ponytail that includes the first one a little lower and so on. Kinda like a French braid of ponytails.

kidari
August 5th, 2013, 12:59 AM
I do a smooth cinnamon bun high on top of my head and secure it with regular medium sized claw clips, one on either side of the bun. This is the only thing that works for me with everything I do when I work out, including running. It looks really frumpy and ugly but it's fast, easy, hair-friendly, and stays put.

jacqueline101
August 5th, 2013, 06:16 AM
I just do a plain bun.

rowie
September 10th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I tried so many updos and it falls apart by my 1 mile mark! Ughhhh I tried a ficcare both ficcarissimo and maximas and since my bun is heavy it just hurts! I don't like to wear it loose since I get major tangles.

I'm too lazy to braid because I just want to work out already! So today I found what works best is a segmented ponytail. :happydance: Although, now I might think about getting a buff and take the time to braid my hair and tuck it in there. I can't imagine all the damage I get from my hair bouncing and rubbing on my shirt for miles!

humble_knight
September 10th, 2013, 05:45 PM
@Rowie: Perhaps try wearing your hair up as Sikh men do? There are quite a few Sikh men at my gym, who wear a turban, or some other covering on their head, while they exercise.

kdaniels8811
September 10th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Sock bun! Won't move, no matter how much I bounce around. (Zumba)

Crumpet
September 10th, 2013, 06:24 PM
I've been doing a Gibralter bun with spin pins. I run for up to about 7 or 8 hours at a time and the thing does not move at all. Needless to say, I love my spin pins!

jupiterinleo
September 10th, 2013, 06:45 PM
I just put my hair in a simple English braid. It keeps my neck from getting too sweaty, but I can also lay down in it comfortably which is helpful when I'm doing some yoga.

deja
September 12th, 2013, 09:21 AM
When I know I'm gonna be doing yoga/ab/stuff on the ground, I do a top knot. For Zumba/running/up stuff, I do a French braid straight back. Plus, always a tight headband so sweat doesn't ruin my hair.

stachelbeere
January 19th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I know this type of thread has probably been created multiple times but I still haven't managed to find the perfect running hair style (especially in winter!) because I always encounter problems. Normally I would do a French braid and that style is nicely balanced, so there is no pulling of individual strands, the braid only rubs at my shirt. but when I tuck it in it pulls on some hairs.

But... in winter I wear a sweatshirt, a scarf and a hat. I put my hair into a bun at the very top of my head but there are always loose strands at the back which form into mats and terrible tangles and in the long run (pun intended :P) I see potential damage to my nape hairs here. bobby pins don't help. Today I put a piece of silk around my hairline but that didn't help either.

Do you have any suggestions?

Stiria
January 19th, 2014, 02:54 PM
I was going to suggest a tucked braid, but I see you mentioned that.. I like to wear interlaced braids as they are very stable and comfy, but they take som time to do. Perhaps not what you want when going for run. You could try to make one interlaced braid if that makes any sense. Make one loose dutch braid, then weave the tail through the rest of the braid. Am I making sense? I am terrible at explaining...
The Elling-bun is also very secure.

Pamala513
January 19th, 2014, 03:02 PM
I am a runner and I wear my hair in a ponytail with no problems. I also am growing out some bangs that dont yet go into a ponytIl, they fly all over, i don't see how it's getting so tangled, I don't come back with tangles ever.

stachelbeere
January 19th, 2014, 03:20 PM
I was going to suggest a tucked braid, but I see you mentioned that.. I like to wear interlaced braids as they are very stable and comfy, but they take som time to do. Perhaps not what you want when going for run. You could try to make one interlaced braid if that makes any sense. Make one loose dutch braid, then weave the tail through the rest of the braid. Am I making sense? I am terrible at explaining...
The Elling-bun is also very secure.

I'm going to look into the Elling-bun... yeah, tucked braids don't really work for me :( interlaced braids as in multiple braids that are braided together?

I am a runner and I wear my hair in a ponytail with no problems. I also am growing out some bangs that dont yet go into a ponytIl, they fly all over, i don't see how it's getting so tangled, I don't come back with tangles ever.

yeah I think my main problem is with wearing a hat - I sort of need something silky to prevent them I guess. I'm not a big fan of ponytails, they always pull on individual strands.

Stiria
January 19th, 2014, 03:32 PM
No, interlaced braids as in shoelace braids. Braid two dutch braids and then lace up the tails as you would lace up a shoelace:) Torrinpaige explains better than I do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zA37CREatY

stachelbeere
January 19th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Stiria thank you <3 I just tried the Elling bun, it feels pretty secure for now :) I guess my APL hair is too short to make such a magnificent style as Torrinpaige did heh

Stiria
January 19th, 2014, 03:46 PM
She has some amazing hair doesn't she? Loopsie did a tutorial too, but I can't remember how long her hair is.. I hope the Elling bun will work!

stachelbeere
January 19th, 2014, 03:57 PM
oh yes, really, really beautiful! although I don't think I would want that colour on myself - too warm.
and I remember watching Loepsie's interlaced braid tutorial but her hair doesn't seem to be nearly as thick as Torrinpaige's hair - that's how I remember it.
I'm probably going running tomorrow, let's see how it goes :)

Heavy Raindrops
January 30th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I find my hair to be increasingly annoying when I go for a run. :p I don't know what to do with it!

mariakatija
January 30th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I wear my hair in a low braid.

slynr
January 30th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Another vote for running with a low braid. I do get nape tangling though:( Just haven't found a better method yet so that's what I go with. Comfortable and secure.

alexis917
January 30th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Another vote for running with a low braid. I do get nape tangling though:( Just haven't found a better method yet so that's what I go with. Comfortable and secure.

I had the worst tangles at the nape of my neck after running the Philly half mara with a dutch braid....I find doing two dutch pigtails really helps!

G1ll
January 30th, 2014, 01:46 PM
I will usually twirl mine into a top knot then secure it with lots of bobby pins to insure it doesn't come loose!

slynr
January 30th, 2014, 01:49 PM
I had the worst tangles at the nape of my neck after running the Philly half mara with a dutch braid....I find doing two dutch pigtails really helps!

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will try that tomorrow. Mostly a problem in the winter because I wear a beanie and a buff when it is super cold and all that rubbing really does a number on those nape hairs.

alexis917
January 30th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will try that tomorrow. Mostly a problem in the winter because I wear a beanie and a buff when it is super cold and all that rubbing really does a number on those nape hairs.

You're welcome!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 30th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Up in a bun for my walks and a hat as well if it is sunny or windy.

queenovnight
March 10th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Wow this is an old post... and im joining in on it, in hopes that others will too. Lol. I've always worn mine braided, but I started to notice a bit of breakage when I would remove the rubber-bands, so I've started wearing it in a bun, held by hairsticks (my new savior.) It's fine when im at the gym or outside running.. but kinda bothersome during yoga.

Valkyriejae
March 10th, 2014, 09:52 AM
I always do a braided nautilus with a plain stick - holds like a rock and doesn't flap around like a ponytail or down-braids would!

cranberrymoonz
March 10th, 2014, 09:57 AM
- high bun held with spin pins for anything sweaty:P
- english braid for yoga and pilates

ladyfey
March 10th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Topknot with claw clips.

Stiria
March 10th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I do a dutch braid, and then I weave the braid tail through the braid at my head, Like a interlaced braid with only one braid. I am terrible at explaining..:shrug:
It holds like a rock.

snowyx
March 10th, 2014, 01:01 PM
I play a professional sport and my hair definitely has to be off my face and out of my eyes. I use either 2 non metal hair tie or a scrunchie. I tie it back into a high ponytail (my hair is almost APL) and then I put in some clips or bobby pins.
When my hair was long (waist length) I put it in a medium ponytail with a scrunchie and tied it off in a braid.
Hope this helped!

ReneeG
March 10th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I got between a braid and a bun! I lift weights, run, and swim several times a week, and I've found that a low bu with a metal free elastic works well to keep it from getting in my face or getting damaged flopping around against my clothes. For lifting weights I do a high twisted bun held with a metal free elastic to keep it from rubbing on barbells or laying on nasty sweaty weight benches. Sometimes I'll do a french brais, but usually end up twisting the end into a bun to keep it from flopping about during cardio.

My styles are pretty much always the same 2 or 3, bt I figure that if its only in that ponytail/bun for a couple hours while I'm exercising, the damage from the elastic should be minimal compared to a tight elastic worn all day every day. Hope that helps!

trolleypup
March 10th, 2014, 06:50 PM
For moderate exercise, I can get away with a single-stick bun, but for vigorous or extended exercise, I go with pony scrubs (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/scrub-hats/).

melomane
March 10th, 2014, 07:15 PM
In indoor/minimal exercise I can get away with a braid, but with dance and cross-country require a high pony for my hair to hold.

velorutionista
March 10th, 2014, 08:39 PM
French braid bunned and held with a long spin pin holds like a rock and keeps it out of my way.

Nebulae
March 10th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Braids! French, Dutch, English, whatever I feel like. Sometimes I bun the braid with spin pins. Works great. :)

eha
March 11th, 2014, 01:34 AM
usually a bun, but a braid on bench day :)

Frida
March 11th, 2014, 10:56 PM
I usually braid my hair too. Buns just don't work for me. They end up pulling or falling out after a little while. I mostly do stuff like running, though.

laitlune
March 12th, 2014, 12:30 AM
I do rock climbing, so whatever keeps my hair away from the front of my face is best, so usually it's just a simple ponytail, low braid, or low bun. Fast and convenient is where it's at for me, lol.

veryhairyfairy
March 12th, 2014, 09:07 AM
I usually do a single stick lazy wrap bun on lifting days, and on aerobic days (jumping around and whatnot) I do a lazy wrap bun with two claw clips.

At shorter lengths buns weren't as stable, though, and I almost exclusively wore a single english braid to work out.

emilia1992
March 14th, 2014, 03:41 AM
For ballet it's (of course! :)) a bun; I usually put in spin pins and that keeps it there. Although 2 days ago I forgot to bring my hair-tying-up-kit (is there such a thing?) and yet somehow managed to keep my hair up using a single elastic - I put it in an english braid, rolled it up, and tied the whole bundle. It looked a bit 'excuse me, your bun's falling down' but stayed put anyway.

TheGoddess
March 14th, 2014, 10:43 AM
french braid...pony tails always fall out

SimplyViki
March 14th, 2014, 11:42 AM
I do a braided hairstick bun with an acrylic ketylo stick, like this:
http://youtu.be/zhWWAVcpHHw

But I usually secure it with a second ketylo, to sort of pin the end down a bit more, since I do a lot of running and jumping when I work out.

Remi
March 14th, 2014, 11:47 AM
I like to wear it in a cinnabun when I go walking, and a simple english braid when I'm on the pilates.

dancingpoet
March 14th, 2014, 12:00 PM
For dance, I have a few options. With sticks, a LWB works okay as long as my hair isn't having a super slippery day (otherwise, having sticks shoot out at people is just bad). Sometimes an infinity bun/lazy infinity bun works (under the same conditions), or, better yet, a disc bun (when my hair decides to cooperate for that one- but when it's right, it's great and it doesn't go anywhere). Otherwise, most buns held with spin pins (even better if they're braided first) and vortex buns or rose buns tend to be good for me, the vortex bun especially if I have to lay down.

Ambystoma
March 15th, 2014, 11:17 PM
For me a french braid is the only thing that works, buns, even braided buns just fall out after spending time pulling on my roots if I'm doing anything jumpy, and if I'm lying down a braid is comfortable too so yes, the braid flies around like crazy but I excercise on my own so I don't need to worry about hitting anyone else with it and I don't really mind it whacking my back/shoulders :shrug:

Jumper
March 15th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Usually a dutch braid, I find I can get them much tighter to my head than a french braid.

Synnovea
March 16th, 2014, 12:08 AM
French braid. I try to avoid ponytails as much as possible.

flemeister
March 16th, 2014, 09:07 AM
A moderately tight english braid for now. Maybe a french braid once I get the hang of it. :)

In2wishin
March 16th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Right now the only exercise I am able to do is water aerobics so I braid my hair high on the head and tuck it under my swim cap (I bought a silicone one with extra space for long hair).

elea
March 16th, 2014, 12:12 PM
i find 2 low buns right by the ear works the best for me

sumidha
March 16th, 2014, 12:35 PM
For dance and running I like an oblong gibraltar bun at the very base of my neck, held with a quattro fork, so far I've never had any problems with slipping. It also works fairly well for yoga, but maybe a little too lumpy on the back of the neck for lots of sit ups, or other things like that. :)

LauraLongLocks
March 16th, 2014, 12:39 PM
I run, and I like the orchid bun, pha bun, nautilus, and anything braided for running.

AmberJewel
March 18th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Besides buns work fairly well for me if I can get them not to pull. Also a french braid or double english braids are pretty comfortable.

AmberJewel
March 18th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Sorry, that should have been "braided" buns. :o

Hairitic
March 19th, 2014, 07:51 AM
For moderate exercise, I can get away with a single-stick bun, but for vigorous or extended exercise, I go with pony scrubs (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/scrub-hats/).

Love this pony scrubs idea! Lots of cool prints and looks like it would hold really well. Thanks for the link. :cool:

VJG
March 19th, 2014, 02:09 PM
I wear mine in a single three ply braid. Very basic. It stays basically out of the way and isn't thick enough to be a club.

doggyhog
March 24th, 2014, 05:16 PM
My hair is close to tailbone length and I have yet to find a good style to wear my hair when exercising. I have tried braids but I feel like it is damaging to the ends, buns work for about 2 minutes. haha my hair is extremely thick and heavy, so hair pins don't hold.
Help?! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

tiny squirrel
March 24th, 2014, 05:29 PM
A top knot with a 4 prong wooden fork works pretty well for me. If I put the bun on top of my head it isn't as prone to slipping down and I can still lay on the floor for pilates or stretching. I'm interested to see what others have to say

hafattack
March 24th, 2014, 06:41 PM
What tinysquirrel said, or a french braid

BrendaLoan
March 24th, 2014, 06:59 PM
I do a bun (twisting my hair, like a cinnamon bun or a bee butt bun) and secure it with a hair clip like this one (http://img2.mlstatic.com/s_MLA_v_V_f_4449230839_062013.jpg). Holds like a rock :thumbsup:

emilia1992
March 25th, 2014, 04:28 AM
All the suggestions above (though not simultaneously heh heh :) )

And if your hair's not heavy, you could try pinning the french braid, folding it on itself against your head and securing with spin pins. This keeps it out of the way for me, though it might not work on those with thicker hair :)

darklyndsea
March 25th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Have you tried amish and/or spin pins, and pinning the heck out of your bun?

queenovnight
March 25th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I braid my hair, and then twist it into a bun and secure it with hair sticks. Stays throughout my outdoor run and yoga.

Marbid
March 25th, 2014, 10:09 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6vRgZuXse5o

Try this... By cinamon hair.... Is good for heavy hair... Make a pony, braid it, bun it, secure it with clips.... Is what i use and really holds like a bun. I find clips to hold the best for me because they dont slip out...

LauraLongLocks
March 25th, 2014, 02:47 PM
I ran 3.5 miles today in twin braided buns secured with spin pins. Then I did physical therapy with my hair like that. My braided buns are still rock solid, and haven't felt heavy or slid down at all, probably due to sectioning my hair into two sections in order to bun it. A nautilus bun, pha bun, and orchid bun are all very secure on me for running. I have average thickness, so I don't experience too much heaviness, but if I do, I split my hair in a top and bottom section. I bun the top, then braid the bottom section and wrap it around my top bun. It helps distribute the weight better. I like to secure buns for running with spin pins, claw clips, and sticks and forks. That seems to hold the best.

stachelbeere
March 25th, 2014, 03:30 PM
my hair is light and rather short (compared to tailbone long hair ;)) but I find any kind of pins (spin pins, amish pins, bobby pins) rather uncomfortable and not secure enough; I discovered that little claw clips are my "running holy grail" tools :D The most comfortable and secure hairstyle for me while running is an Elling bun (Habioku style) secured with claw clips, it's incredibly comfortable!!

Kina
March 25th, 2014, 03:46 PM
I have found that 2 dutch braids with the ends pinned work the best for me. I just wrap them around my head and pin them where they end. These have been great, even for hot yoga and don't interfere with any postures.

browneyedsusan
July 15th, 2014, 08:28 AM
I sloppily frenchbraid from nape to crown and gather into a topknot. I can lie on my back for ab work or weights, and it doesnt slide down during running.
I wore a bun to class once, and had to redo it a lot.

dellad
July 15th, 2014, 09:29 AM
A braided nautilus, secured with a metallic hair stick. I make sure to push the hair stick through the weave of the braid itself and behind the base of the braid (so that it is close to my scalp). It holds through my long runs.

lilin
July 15th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Bun on the top of my head secured with two spin pins. Stays like a champ through yoga. :)

AmberJewel
July 15th, 2014, 12:00 PM
When walking or running, I'll do a bunned French braid held with a stick. They're surprisingly secure of you do it right. I also made my first paranda recently and that's definitely an option I'm going to try out. For anything that has me laying on the floor I prefer braids wrapped around my head. Actually, those are good for all types of workouts, but I'm too lazy to do them all the time. Not sure how well they would fit under a helmet though.

kitana97
July 15th, 2014, 06:01 PM
When I run I have my hair in a side ponytail and hold on to it mid pony with one of my hands which keeps it from going everywhere. For yoga/pilates I've been doing a high bun with a large clip. But I think I'm going to have to try the 2 spin pins idea..

kaydana
July 15th, 2014, 06:16 PM
I've taken to wearing a nautilus, held with a flexi-8 and a metal fork-like thing. Either of those on their own secure it for normal wear, combined they can hold up through anything.

Ingrid
July 15th, 2014, 06:58 PM
I put it up into a top-knot nautilus with a two-prong fork. Holds like a rock.

LauraLongLocks
July 16th, 2014, 05:05 PM
http://youtu.be/JHBAdovjcgU

burny
August 30th, 2014, 11:28 PM
I've always had my hair down when exercising/running. Been experimenting the last couple weeks, with trying to get my hair up, and not able to get anything to work(length vs thickness seems to be my problem). I'm able to make a braid, but I think that if I run with that, it would be too much tugging. So far the only 'up do' I've been able to do, is to part my hair in the middle, and do each side in a bun; Even then it seems my length vs thickness is barely able to make the bun work, so I might need to do 4 buns, which would probably look silly. The only other thing I can think of though, would be to do a pony tail, wrap it in a scarf, and then tape the scarf to my shirt. Anyone have any other suggestions for what to do with excessively thick hair(TBL 6" pony)?

Ingrid
August 31st, 2014, 12:22 AM
I've amended my exercise updo! I've found that a braided nautilus on the top of my head holds even better :D

Ingrid
August 31st, 2014, 12:24 AM
I've always had my hair down when exercising/running. Been experimenting the last couple weeks, with trying to get my hair up, and not able to get anything to work(length vs thickness seems to be my problem). I'm able to make a braid, but I think that if I run with that, it would be too much tugging. So far the only 'up do' I've been able to do, is to part my hair in the middle, and do each side in a bun; Even then it seems my length vs thickness is barely able to make the bun work, so I might need to do 4 buns, which would probably look silly. The only other thing I can think of though, would be to do a pony tail, wrap it in a scarf, and then tape the scarf to my shirt. Anyone have any other suggestions for what to do with excessively thick hair(TBL 6" pony)?

Have you tried wetting your hair a little and then making a tight braid? That generally makes hair compact better and so makes thick hair more manageable.

eadwine
August 31st, 2014, 04:13 AM
I exercise daily (jump rope), and simply put it up in a bun, with two U shaped bent knitting needles. One to hold the bun in place, the other goes pretty much across the first right over it and keeps things in place and it won't budge.

annaceciliia
November 20th, 2014, 07:04 AM
I'm working out 4-5 times a week and usually just keep my hair up in a pony tail or a braid depending on my mood. I usually prefer a pony tail though, but it seems to damage my hair more..

Gertrude
November 20th, 2014, 12:55 PM
I just put my hair in a braid with a soft tie at the end. I do Pilates a lot and can just move my hair out of the way, and it's not a problem in the gym either. Buns slip at the best of times, hanging upside down gravity always wins. I then put the braid up with a hair-stick and 4 wavy Amish pins at the end into a bun.

SwordWomanRiona
November 20th, 2014, 03:10 PM
I do historical fencing, and I usually wear a braid or a braided high ponytail. I can't wear updos because they won't fit inside my mask, but sometimes when I forget to braid and my ponytail is getting in the way too much, I just coil my hair loosely and stuff it inside the mask. One of the pros of extremely compressible hair :D

For archery or yoga, which I also do from time to time, I have more options. It's generally a braid or (braided) ponytail, though. I can shoot with loose hair, but I generally prefer to keep it a bit more contained.

mamaherrera
November 20th, 2014, 03:52 PM
I'm still struggling with this. I like to do little spurts of exercise throughout the day. I just got a large ficcare, which I can't get through my buns unless I make them super tight or wet. but. . . . I did a folded braid today with the ficcare, it's fine for just hanging around the house, but I start jumping and it starts sliding down, I'd rather HAVE a braid (english braid) hanging down then have that heavy hair toy pulling my hair down with it. But anyways. . . I'm frustrated with all this. I have amish hair pins, they don't work, I have goody hair pins, they don't work. I did the two spin pins but they come loose as I' do jumping jacks. Now don't think it's cuz I have more hair than you all, no. . . . I probably have less than many, I think I"m just not doing things right. I tried to do the amish pins to make it tight, but as the day goes on, they seem to start pulling on me. Ficcare--since I bought it I would love it to work through exercise, but I don't know how to get it to stay. I will keep watching for suggestions. Right now I have a braided bun with two spin pins in there, and then two medium size claw clips on top of that. It still moves a lot, but I"m so stuck between 1) is it better to have it super tight (tension ) or is it better to have it 2) looser, even though it flops around a bit.

mamaherrera
November 20th, 2014, 04:02 PM
This is me daily!! Just so quick, I find it to have the most hold, even though I know it flops around, but I figure the claw clips flop with it, (there is some give) so it is not pulling!

I do a smooth cinnamon bun high on top of my head and secure it with regular medium sized claw clips, one on either side of the bun. This is the only thing that works for me with everything I do when I work out, including running. It looks really frumpy and ugly but it's fast, easy, hair-friendly, and stays put.

mamaherrera
November 20th, 2014, 05:10 PM
For the bun people, do you do a ponytail before the bun or without a ponytail holder? And is it better to have things super tight, so no flopping or to leave things a little slack and allow for some flopping?

Catatafish
November 20th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I'd love to know the answer to this too. I used to always used ponytails, but I find them very uncomfortable. I've heard a vortex bun is the best for exercise, but I haven't learned how to do one yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DF5HXky3B8

browneyedsusan
December 12th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Amish braids!
Just tried them for fitness class, and they work great!
Close to the head: I don't catch it on the bar during back squats--braid(s)!, or bonk it on the bar when I lay on the weight bench--topknot!
Secure: stays put during cardio or running
Flat: Can lay on it--weight bench or floor work

Plus, I felt like a female boxer or cage fighter with my hair braided and close to my head! Always good to feel like a beast during fitness class! :taz:

san diego
July 2nd, 2015, 11:09 PM
Great ideas. Subscribing to thread.

omega
July 3rd, 2015, 08:18 AM
Great ideas. Subscribing to thread.

*ReiKa*
July 3rd, 2015, 08:35 AM
I've been running for 3 months and now going to the gym, I just do the super easy and quick Japanese bun which never gave me a problem.

As far as washes are concerned, girls, do you really wash your hair after every workout?

Lauraes
July 3rd, 2015, 10:32 AM
I've been running for 3 months and now going to the gym, I just do the super easy and quick Japanese bun which never gave me a problem.

As far as washes are concerned, girls, do you really wash your hair after every workout?
I don't. I don't sweat a lot on my head so I don't see the point. Only the hair near my neck/on my nape gets damp with sweat and that inch or two gets wet underneath my showercap anyways. And honestly, sometimes I just feel too tired to take the time to wash my hair after running.

missrandie
July 3rd, 2015, 10:48 AM
I've been putting mine in a buff to keep it out of my way. I don't like the way it looks, but it is highly functional.

Maybe it is because it isn't a girly buff... I bought it at the on base clothing shop, and it is foliage green.. same color as my husband's. That way if he ever needs to take mine because he can't find his, he can :)

Skinsfan07
March 16th, 2016, 11:57 AM
I know most of you have your hair back/up while exercising, but I was wondering if any of you exercise outdoors with your hair completely down. If so, does the wind blow your hair around in your face? Also, for exercising indoors or outdoors, how do you deal with your hair after it's been sweaty (for those that exercise with it down)?

parkmikii
March 16th, 2016, 02:50 PM
I've been wearing twin buns with claw clips. They look a bit childish but they kinda work ^^

Wusel
March 16th, 2016, 03:51 PM

I don't too. I don't sweat much on my head.
I wear a braid and put it into my shirt since it's long enough :)

maborosi
March 16th, 2016, 04:40 PM
I'm past hip and I like to do a low ponytail with a silk scrunchie, and just a regular English braid- I make sure to use two elastics on the end to make sure it doesn't move around too much.

AJNinami
March 16th, 2016, 06:20 PM
I know most of you have your hair back/up while exercising, but I was wondering if any of you exercise outdoors with your hair completely down. If so, does the wind blow your hair around in your face? Also, for exercising indoors or outdoors, how do you deal with your hair after it's been sweaty (for those that exercise with it down)?

I live in Nebraska, and it's very flat and windy. Sometimes it gets too windy to wear a ponytail (still working on a braid that doesn't slip out during exercise), so windy in fact that it will pull small hairs out and it becomes extremely painful to wear one with the wind using it as a sail. In those cases, if I've already started running I will just pull the ponytail out and let it blow free. I actually find I run faster with my hair falling naturally and not focused on one spot. I don't stop to braid it since one of my pet peeves is having to stop running, I can't stand it. I will go all the way back to the beginning and run it again if I end up stopping for some reason.

Back to hair, it is the absolute worst thing you can do to it. I spend an hour each night finger detangling it if I've worn it down, and I certainly lose hair.

Does the wind blow your hair around in your face? Depending on the direction of the wind, it won't get in your face at all. If you are only walking it will certainly get in your face, but running or bicycling it becomes less of a problem since you are moving faster. You might want to just wear a headband if you are planning on doing this.

How do you deal with your hair after it's been sweaty? My sweat tends to make my hair softer (a weird phenomenon, it should get crunchier), and I usually just leave it alone until my next hair wash (or I will give my hair a cool water rinse - does wonders). You really shouldn't leave sweat on your scalp, though. I've been trying to convince myself that I need to wash my hair more often now that it's getting warmer and I'm sweating more. If I leave it down, it actually ends up less sweaty than a low ponytail, as it's blowing around instead of stuck to my neck and scalp.

Eastbound&Down
March 17th, 2016, 09:36 AM

Absolutely not. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week (although right now I'm only walking because I'm in my 3rd trimester) but I still break a sweat most times. I wash my hair currently on Wednesday nights and then put coconut oil in it and let it sit until I wash it again on Saturday. It's working pretty well for me, and sweat doesn't do anything weird to my hair, if anything it makes it softer, as someone else above mentioned.

omega
March 17th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Found a Half Buff (Buff brand) at a rock climbing store. Highly recommended.

samanthaa
March 18th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Absolutely not. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week (although right now I'm only walking because I'm in my 3rd trimester) but I still break a sweat most times. I wash my hair currently on Wednesday nights and then put coconut oil in it and let it sit until I wash it again on Saturday. It's working pretty well for me, and sweat doesn't do anything weird to my hair, if anything it makes it softer, as someone else above mentioned.

I'm on almost the same wash cycle as you--Wednesdays and Saturdays. I run 5x a week and, even in winter, my scalp sweats a lot (my braid is often drenched). I always wash my body after a run, but as for my hair, I tie it back in the shower to keep it from getting wet, then after the shower let it down to let the sweat dry completely. I sometimes apply a bit of dry shampoo before I go to sleep so that my hair looks "clean" in the morning.

Sometimes if I want to wear my hair down/am worried about the dirtiness, I co-wash or water-wash. I water-washed on Wednesday and my boyfriend actually told me my hair smelled good! (placebo effect?? he doesn't know I don't use shampoo sometimes)

lithostoic
March 18th, 2016, 10:37 AM
I always used a claw clip.

HollyLindsey
March 19th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Any ideas for cycling hair styles? I feel limited because I always have a helmet on top of my head. It's an inch or so above APL, but due to the layers that ride all the way up to my jaw like a stair case, braiding is difficult.

brookse
September 7th, 2016, 06:18 AM
I always go with either a french or dutch braid because they manage to keep the most hairs out of my face while I'm working out

Kittycatcuti
December 11th, 2016, 11:17 PM
A braid should keep your hair protected

Kassie
January 5th, 2017, 03:18 PM
I work out 6x a week and am always trying to mix up my protective styles. I read somewhere that if you wear the same hairstyle all the time it can cause breakage or damage to your hair. I do a mixture of dutch/french braids, fishtails, high/low ponys, top knots, and low buns. I also use a variety of bobby pins and headbands. I also read that you should use cotton rubber bands so I have been using them for a few years now and I see an improvement in the breakage of my hair. :)

Reyesuela
March 1st, 2017, 07:29 PM
Now that I've realized how much I was damaging my hair from simple friction, I've become obsessed with lessening it.

My workouts are hard on my hair--the cross training and endurance running, specifically.

I used to just wear a pony, but a 5 mile run is a lot of friction several times a week.

I can wear my hair up, but I'm worried about weight distribution. I'm thinking of making a braid or pony and then putting it in a cloth sheath.

What do you do?

likelikepenny
March 1st, 2017, 07:39 PM
My workouts aren't super intense (just weight training a HIIT) but I just put my hair in a nautilus with an acrylic stick or a cinnabun with a claw clip.

I prefer a nautilus with stick for when I'm laying down for ab exercises etc.

lucid
March 1st, 2017, 07:56 PM
I wear it in a regular braid. In addition, I use tops/t-shirts that has silky/low friction fabric, and I feel that helps as well.

My workouts are interval running and strength.

Reyesuela
March 1st, 2017, 08:15 PM
I just wear my regular updo for weight training. It has to be high enough so the bar doesn't hit it with squats and flat enough that the bench is comfy. But only really firm styles survives burpee/tire push/box jump/push press/etc. or the running. :( And I think my running before really messed with my nape hair.

Low friction shirts are a good idea!

Llama
March 1st, 2017, 08:20 PM
When I go running I wear my hair either in a regular braid with an athletic headband or a bun on top of my head held with a stick.

CayAsh
March 1st, 2017, 09:16 PM
I do Olympic lifting, crossfit, and running and typically wear my hair in two French braids. As it's cold weather right now where I'm at, I tuck my hair into a beanie when I run with a silk cap between the beanie and my hair to prevent from friction of the harsh beanie on my hair

Deborah
March 1st, 2017, 10:01 PM
I put my hair up in a flipped bun, usually held with hair scroos. This works well as it keeps the hair contained, not moving, and off my neck.

Tosca
March 1st, 2017, 10:16 PM
For dance class (lots of jumping and vigorous movement) I used to make a ponytail with a strong hair tie, and then make a cinnabun held with u shaped pins stabbed into the hair tie. It held like heck.

These days I do mainly pilates and follow a ballet/barre style workout video. For pilates I make a super high hairstick bun so I can lie on my back comfortably, and for the workout video I just do a normal bun.

Groovy Granny
March 1st, 2017, 10:17 PM
flipped braid

PrincessAralin
March 1st, 2017, 11:36 PM
I'm not a high-impact person so I tend to nautilus bun for yoga, and I just kind of... fold my braid up and secure it with a tie for when I'm cycling. (Buns don't really work with my helmet, haha)

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 2nd, 2017, 12:33 AM
Just a bun held up by some spin pins.

_fred_
March 2nd, 2017, 01:03 AM
I'm going to have to try some of these as my hair gets longer. I like running, and although my hair's not long yet it's got to the stage where I can't have it loose to run because it ends up in my face all the time (and my mouth, and that is not fun). I've started trying out wearing a scarf to keep it back, secured with a few bobby pins. It's working to keep my hair out of my face, but I'll soon need to find a way to keep it off my neck without the jolting from the running pulling on whatever I've used to secure it.

stachelbeere
March 2nd, 2017, 02:37 AM
I swear by a bunned French braid secured with little claw clips. Doesn't pull on my scalp like regular buns do.

adastra
March 2nd, 2017, 03:08 AM
I bobbi pin all of my frizz and regrowth and make a higher bun than usual, held by something secure like twisted sticks or a textured fork. I can't stand to have hair on my neck when I exercise, or anything that moves!

marvel-lover
March 2nd, 2017, 05:19 AM
I usually use a LWB or disc bun with a stick, but I have problems with the stick when I go to do bench pressing

browneyedsusan
March 2nd, 2017, 07:13 AM
Topknot.
It stays put, is out of my face, and doesn't interfere with

Aerial silks
rock climbing
bench press
kettlebell swings
running
front or back squats

samanthaa
March 2nd, 2017, 07:15 AM
Braid or braided cinnabun held with spin pins for running.

Alissalocks
March 2nd, 2017, 07:18 AM
I wear mine in two side braids (Dutch?) most often, for rehearsals & classes, and I'm a Professional dancer and choreographer. I sometimes pin them up as crown braids if I want them more secure.

Double French braids are great, but I suck at them and with my thin hair they fall out fast and aren't worth all the effort usually.

I let my hair dry in the braids, most often, and do not wash it every single time I sweat. But in winter if the dampness is making me chill, I let it down to dry faster, often oiling it a little at the same time.

Kiiruna
March 2nd, 2017, 07:30 AM
Braided ponytail. I do judo so I must be able to tighten my updo quickly if it happens to get loose. I've tried double braids (they get in the way when throwing) and crown braid (falls off too easily) but ditched them. Buns are a no-go because they wouldn't stay.

butterfly_dream
March 2nd, 2017, 07:42 AM
Low flat bun for a bench, high ballerina bun for squats and deadlifts.
The braid is not an option; at least I don't want to kill someone with my Celtic inspired hair tie. :lol:

Reyesuela
March 2nd, 2017, 12:00 PM
I think part of my problem is my houdini hair. :( I cannot get a topknot or any kind of bun to stay for the full duration of a run or a crosstraining workout. For dance performances and competitions, I would use a TON of gel to solidify my hair. Social dancing, I usually just use a low pony so I don't take someone's eye out.

MlleMC
March 2nd, 2017, 12:40 PM
I wear a braided lazy wrap bun for zumba, and it hasn't ever gotten undone. I use a stick that's slightly too long for a little extra security too.

meteor
March 2nd, 2017, 02:00 PM
For all resistance training, pilates and yoga - braided bun, mostly (currently Braided L-Infinity, but anything braided will do).
Of course, it comes undone quite often, but I can usually rebun it quickly enough. In fact, I feel like the longer the hair gets, the better it stays, and now the bun works like a really comfy head pillow/support for lying on on the floor comfortably. I do have to adjust some yoga poses (e.g. can't look to the sky in extended triangle or extended side angle poses, simply because the hair is pulling on my scalp too much at those angles).
Running sprints is a bit more problematic, I still haven't found anything low on friction, super comfortable and quick to style yet... :(
Swimming is a whole other issue - 2 swim caps layered over oiled/conditioned hair for protection and regular chelating sessions is the best I know... and it seems like it's still not protective enough in the long run. Oh well...

*Wednesday*
March 3rd, 2017, 03:54 PM
I do belly dancing for fitness and dance. I ponytail. I'm whipping around a lot.

Alissalocks
March 3rd, 2017, 11:03 PM
I do belly dancing for fitness and dance. I ponytail. I'm whipping around a lot.
Yay! Another belly dancer! :hifive: I don't mind my braids whipping much, but some fast paddle turns can get a wee bit bothersome. But sometimes I can pretend I'm Zoe Jakes :love: when it does.

queenbee1
March 4th, 2017, 03:54 AM
I just run. I put my BSL hair into a LWB with a wooden stick. :)

*Wednesday*
March 4th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Yay! Another belly dancer! :hifive: I don't mind my braids whipping much, but some fast paddle turns can get a wee bit bothersome. But sometimes I can pretend I'm Zoe Jakes :love: when it does.

Yes. :) I have a YT Channel devoted to Belly Dane and Tribal Fusion. Here is my link if you would like to try some music. It so much fun and great for staying in shape and mobility.

Belly Dance Instrumentals: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8CF52007E5282F18

browneyedsusan
March 8th, 2017, 06:50 AM
I think part of my problem is my houdini hair. :( I cannot get a topknot or any kind of bun to stay for the full duration of a run or a crosstraining workout. For dance performances and competitions, I would use a TON of gel to solidify my hair. Social dancing, I usually just use a low pony so I don't take someone's eye out.

Anchor the topknot with an elastic:

Bend forward, and push all your hair over your head.
Make a ponytail on top of your head.
Bun the ends.
Secure with a stick, and snake it under the elastic.

That bad boy will stay until Christmas. :)

Your in super-slippy hair,
Susan

Siv
May 7th, 2017, 01:28 PM
My hair needs to be secured well for martial arts, and the only thing that seems to work is an elastic - so ponytail or something similar. Buns and braids are no-goes: buns fall out after one too many bumps and braids always get stuck in someones armpit. Unfortunately, as I recently got more into hair care, I realised that the elastic gives me some mechanical damage and I'm not fond of my ends rubbing all over my shoulders as I hop around. So, figuring out the best method is still a work in process!

SunnyRose
May 7th, 2017, 01:43 PM
When I go running or walk my dog, I wear my hair in a high ponytail and then braid the tail. It is very secure.

Suze
May 7th, 2017, 03:29 PM
My hair needs to be secured well for martial arts, and the only thing that seems to work is an elastic - so ponytail or something similar. Buns and braids are no-goes: buns fall out after one too many bumps and braids always get stuck in someones armpit. Unfortunately, as I recently got more into hair care, I realised that the elastic gives me some mechanical damage and I'm not fond of my ends rubbing all over my shoulders as I hop around. So, figuring out the best method is still a work in process!

Have you tried invisibobbles? They are less damaging than normal hair elastics, I also use mini scrunchies to hold my hair. Or I make a ponytail with an invisibobble and thenbun it with lots of spin pins.

cactus89
May 7th, 2017, 03:54 PM
I run long-distance and French braid; I ran a marathon with one and I can't imagine wearing my hair any other way.

IMO, French braid is easier (less time-consuming) than a Dutch braid, and keeps the hair secure and off my neck better than an English braid.

I wish I could do a bun, but my hair is thick enough that it just doesn't stay, at least not comfortably.

Siv
May 8th, 2017, 01:09 AM
Have you tried invisibobbles? They are less damaging than normal hair elastics, I also use mini scrunchies to hold my hair. Or I make a ponytail with an invisibobble and thenbun it with lots of spin pins.

Yes! They hold up well enough for work and decently for working out. My hair ends up looking like a mess most times when I work out with an invisibobble but it's only fallen out once so far! I've tried ponytailing with an invisibobble and then bunning it with a scrunchie too which worked okay, though it didn't look much like a bund afterwards :lol:

akurah
May 9th, 2017, 12:20 AM
For regular workouts at the gym, I tend to wear an L-finity bun secured by 2 hair sticks (currently, knitting needles). On core day (where I need to lie on my back) it's either the L-Finity as a sort of topknot bun, a braid, or pigtails.

For biking, I like to do this:
http://i.imgur.com/kgQbiO2.jpg

I take 2 braids, and I basically tie them over each other, basically a chain of overhand knots, until it's shortened like that. At some point my hair may be too long for that to be suitable though, unless replace the backpack with a rear rack bag on my bike. My hair is tailbone, and in that picture it's shortened to about BSL, maybe a bit shorter. It's hard to tell in the sweatshirt, and I don't actually remember off the top of my head how long it is.

Mrstran
May 9th, 2017, 07:10 AM
Hmmm. Outside I might wear a scarf secured snug with pins and tied tight. Maybe a style undernieth that would keep my hair all the way hidden from the elements.

Just an idea.

I am an indoor girl myself, much prefering my gym. Just another loose bun. If I knew how to do anything else that didn't hurt my head than I'd probably do something more pretty.

Siv
May 9th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Oh! Another thing I didn't think of when I posted earlier was, for running during winter, I have this hat with an opening in the back for a ponytail (https://www.stadium.se/INTERSHOP/static/WFS/Stadium-SwedenB2C-Site/-/Stadium/sv_SE/Zoom/232752_106_SOC_U%20RUN%20WARM%20HAT_D1.jpg). I pull my hair through and then braid it to avoid tangles. I don't need to use an elastic, but my hair isn't very heavy. I haven't noticed any mechanical damage :)

luvlonghair75
May 9th, 2017, 02:55 PM
A clipped up braid works for me.

Babetriz
May 9th, 2017, 03:33 PM
I wish I could use sticks and bun up my hair, but when half (not really but sometimes it feels like it) of my martial art is chokes, I would probably stab someone in the eye really easily...
Ponytails and braided ponytails broke my hair so much I was constantly dealing with a halo that went down to my nose, which is not fun since the entire point of a hairstyle is just to get it out of my face.

Two French braids, or if I have to, a single French braid, work the best for me, but I am dreaming for the day when I can do an English braid, wrap it around my head, and sew it down, bc that seems so much more secure and faster than French braids.

akurah
May 9th, 2017, 05:47 PM
I wish I could use sticks and bun up my hair, but when half (not really but sometimes it feels like it) of my martial art is chokes, I would probably stab someone in the eye really easily...
Ponytails and braided ponytails broke my hair so much I was constantly dealing with a halo that went down to my nose, which is not fun since the entire point of a hairstyle is just to get it out of my face.

Two French braids, or if I have to, a single French braid, work the best for me, but I am dreaming for the day when I can do an English braid, wrap it around my head, and sew it down, bc that seems so much more secure and faster than French braids.

What about a french braid, fold the tail UP against your scalp, and use ribbons to tie the braids to themselves? Depending on how loosely you start the braid you can tuck the tail in.

akurah
May 11th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Variation on my above posted hairstyle (http://imgur.com/kgQbiO2)

I wore this biking to work a little over 6 miles. Got crazy frizzy, but still out of my way and stayed UP. It's two braids, but instead of tied overhand knots, I "sewed" them together akin to the lace braid that you loop the braid length up and into the braid bumps. I was left with about BSL length braid. I then took that, and wrapped it around itself about twice. I tucked the ends in, and used two spin pins (one in front, one in back) to keep the wrapped hair wrapped.

I will test tomorrow when I do cardio on the elliptical and my arm/chest weightlifting on how secure it stays. On the bike ride, it stayed like a rock. It works for sure with tailbone length hair. For shorter hair, you may not need to wrap (the braid sewing alone, or the braid sewing and folding up may be sufficient). For longer than tailbone length, I suspect it will still work, just require more wraps.

I will probably try a new variation on weekend (sewing the braids together only once, or only one overhand knot, and trying to wrap the two individual ones around the middle part.

If there is interest and the instructions are confusing, I can attempt to either make a video or a step by step with pictures to illustrate.

Before image (apologies for quality, took myself with aid of mirrors)
http://i.imgur.com/gLXMstV.jpg?1

After pictures (taken by coworker)
http://i.imgur.com/iAGOZWO.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/7E7UCNb.jpg?1

BraidFreak
May 12th, 2017, 06:03 AM
As my username probably gives away I love braids! I usually wear a french braid for exercising.