PDA

View Full Version : Working out/Exercise... what to do with my hair?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Madora
July 8th, 2011, 10:16 PM
If your scalp gets really sweaty, then I'd say you should shampoo it every day..don't rely on just water because the sweat smell lingers on hair, and water isn't enough to erase it.

Also, if you do shampoo every day, then use a little bit of coconut oil afterwards to restore some of the moisture the shampooing took out.

As for hairstyles, avoid ponytails if at all possible! Ponytails holders can create heat under those bands, not to mention the stress placed on those delicate strands that are being pulled back into the ponytail. Also, the ponytail itself gets bounced all over creation, causing tangles. You have to detangle the mess when your exercise session is over, and that will cause some damage likewise, even if you are very careful with your wide tooth comb.

Better to braid your hair and pin it up on top of your head with long crimped hairpins.

Or French braid your hair. Or lace braid it around your head. You can exercise as briskly as you wish and the style will be comfortable and cool on your head.

Large buns are very uncomfortable. If you're a bun fan, then try and section the bun in 2 parts and create a cocentric bun instead of a plain cinnamon bun. The more you distribute the weight of the bun evenly, the less discomfort you'll have wearing the style.

chahuahuas
July 9th, 2011, 01:11 AM
If your scalp gets really sweaty, then I'd say you should shampoo it every day..don't rely on just water because the sweat smell lingers on hair, and water isn't enough to erase it.

Also, if you do shampoo every day, then use a little bit of coconut oil afterwards to restore some of the moisture the shampooing took out.

Since sweating dries out the hair, why shampoo afterward and dry it out even more? Why not just co-wash to reduce the damage?

gthlvrmx
July 9th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Since sweating dries out the hair, why shampoo afterward and dry it out even more? Why not just co-wash to reduce the damage?
Just remember to leave the conditioner on the scalp for maybe 5 min or so because the smell DOES linger if you just apply, rinse, and go.

MidnightStar
July 9th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Good advice, everybody!! I'll have to look into getting some "workhorse" sticks, or something like that. Yes, I'm not happy about constantly ponying my hair, I just wasn't sure what other option I might have. :D I guess when I'm walking, since my head doesn't bounce too much, I could try a claw clip or something like that to keep it up and away from my face.
This morning I went out for a jog and halfway through, it started to rain. Ha! At least I was able to keep pretty cool. ;)

racrane
July 9th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Well, I'll add my two cents, I suppose. I just braid my hair for working out and since I get sweaty, I'll just let the water rinse the sweat out. I workout every day and it seems to work just fine. :)

kellsouth
July 9th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Lots of good tips have already been posted, but this is what I do. I'm a fairly new runner still (4 months) but I quickly figured out that a braid gets on my nerves. I don't like how it turns into a whip from the slight side to side motion of my running and constantly hits me in the back of my knees. Instead, I do the cinnabun with two medium claw clips--one at 10o'clock and one at 2o'clock. That holds it secure through all the jostling.

For washing, I stick to my every-other-day routine and just use a shower cap on non-washing days.

Madora
July 9th, 2011, 09:13 AM
[COLOR="Blue"]Depending on the product you use, shampooing need not be drying. Shampooing is meant to cleanse the hair (and remove any sweat scent). Conditioning coats the hair and leaves a very fine residue (in spite of rinsing it off). That is what a conditioner does..it coats and protects (to a certain extent). If you shampoo everyday after a vigorous workout, then it would be wise to add in a little moisture via oil to protect the strands. Personally speaking, if I worked out that vigorously, I'd want a clean scalp and clean hair and would use shampoo to do so. I'd apply a conditioner after rinsing out the shampoo, then apply a small bit of coconut oil to my strands after the conditioner was washed out.

Raiscake
July 9th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I found this article helpful: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=181

I just worked out tonight after a 2-month hiatus (laziness + new job!). I've been stretching out my washes to every 3 days and I didn't wanna break that, so I tried the preening method in the article. My roots were damp with sweat so I tried to distribute the sebum to my hair. Then I applied some serum to my ends and aired my hair out for 30 minutes. Afterwards, I put my hair up as usual.

It went pretty well. My hair feels nice and soft afterwards. I asked my brutally honest sister if my hair smelled weird and she said it was just fine. Wash day isn't due for another 2 days but I'm working out again tomorrow. I'll see if it works again.

chahuahuas
July 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Good advice, everybody!! I'll have to look into getting some "workhorse" sticks, or something like that.

What's a workhorse stick?

Just remember to leave the conditioner on the scalp for maybe 5 min or so because the smell DOES linger if you just apply, rinse, and go.

Isn't it enough to simply vigorously massage the conditioner into the scalp and roots enough? I figured the mechanical action of your fingers is enough to clean the hair.

ETA:

I found this article helpful: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=181

I just worked out tonight after a 2-month hiatus (laziness + new job!). I've been stretching out my washes to every 3 days and I didn't wanna break that, so I tried the preening method in the article. My roots were damp with sweat so I tried to distribute the sebum to my hair. Then I applied some serum to my ends and aired my hair out for 30 minutes. Afterwards, I put my hair up as usual.

It went pretty well. My hair feels nice and soft afterwards. I asked my brutally honest sister if my hair smelled weird and she said it was just fine. Wash day isn't due for another 2 days but I'm working out again tomorrow. I'll see if it works again.

As a curly 3, I don't think preening is for me. I would be majorly over-manipulating my curls and flattening them at my crown. Which is too bad, since gently distributing the hair's natural oils sounds like an excellent idea!

MidnightStar
July 9th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Chahuahuas, "workhorse stick" is a term I've seen occasionally on the board - to me, it basically means something not fancy or decorative, just something that'll hold your hair up firmly. I don't own any Quattros (yet) but I'd think those sticks are typically "workhorse."
And Raiscake, that's an interesting article - next time I work out I might try that method, depending on how hot it is outside and how sweaty I get. :D

gthlvrmx
July 9th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Isn't it enough to simply vigorously massage the conditioner into the scalp and roots enough? I figured the mechanical action of your fingers is enough to clean the hair.
I've tried that and just quickly rinsed off but the smell was still there for days. Maybe if you just massage for a longer time it'd work. Maybe it's just my own scalp, boys have a weird smell. :p

MidnightStar
July 9th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Lots of good tips have already been posted, but this is what I do. I'm a fairly new runner still (4 months) but I quickly figured out that a braid gets on my nerves. I don't like how it turns into a whip from the slight side to side motion of my running and constantly hits me in the back of my knees. Instead, I do the cinnabun with two medium claw clips--one at 10o'clock and one at 2o'clock. That holds it secure through all the jostling.

For washing, I stick to my every-other-day routine and just use a shower cap on non-washing days.

Hi, kellsouth, I like the claw clip idea. I never thought it would hold while running, but I do run a lot less than I used to (if I go more than 3 miles, I injure myself, doesn't matter how careful I am or how much I stretch). I was actually thinking to myself this morning that my Ficcare would probably hold pretty solid through a run - but not sure I could bring myself to use such a pricey hair toy for something like that! :D

chahuahuas
July 9th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I've tried that and just quickly rinsed off but the smell was still there for days. Maybe if you just massage for a longer time it'd work. Maybe it's just my own scalp, boys have a weird smell. :p

Hahaha! gthlvrmx, I just recently realized you were a boy! I clicked on your profile to check out your curls after you commented on a curly hair thread, and I thought, "my goodness, he's a boy! and he has pretty curls, too!"

Yes, maybe boys do have a weird smell! :bigtongue: hehe.

ETA:

Hi, kellsouth, I like the claw clip idea. I never thought it would hold while running, but I do run a lot less than I used to (if I go more than 3 miles, I injure myself, doesn't matter how careful I am or how much I stretch).

MidnightStar! Stop stretching before you run! New studies show that stretching before exercise does nothing, and it can even lead to overextending the muscles! Only stretch after. Its been in the news lately, I can find the articles if you would like.

...and if you are referring your after-run stretch, ignore this. :p

Arianwen
July 9th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I went for a run this afternoon and returned pouring with sweat - I hopped in the shower and did a water-only rinse of my whole body, including my hair/scalp.

gthlvrmx
July 9th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Hahaha! gthlvrmx, I just recently realized you were a boy! I clicked on your profile to check out your curls after you commented on a curly hair thread, and I thought, "my goodness, he's a boy! and he has pretty curls, too!"

Yes, maybe boys do have a weird smell! :bigtongue: hehe.

why thank you :) I'm pretty sure we do, it's a man thing.

MidnightStar
July 10th, 2011, 09:30 AM
ETA:

MidnightStar! Stop stretching before you run! New studies show that stretching before exercise does nothing, and it can even lead to overextending the muscles! Only stretch after. Its been in the news lately, I can find the articles if you would like.

...and if you are referring your after-run stretch, ignore this. :p

LOL, [B]chahuahuas[B], I was actually talking about both...I didn't know that about not stretching before running! I'd heard mainly it was important after, but I'd not heard it was actually bad for you before. I'd be interested in those articles.

chahuahuas
July 10th, 2011, 10:11 AM
LOL, chahuahuas[b], I was actually talking about both...I didn't know that about not stretching before running! I'd heard mainly it was important after, but I'd not heard it was actually bad for you before. I'd be interested in those articles.

My running coaches in high school always had the same sequence stretches before and after, and we did it religiously. These studies are REALLY new though, and didn't come out until I well was out of high school (I graduated in '08.) I found them to be very surprising as well.

[B] Want a better workout? Don't stretch before. Do a light jog or sport-specific warm-up, experts say (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36553174/ns/health-fitness/)

When you stretch before exercising, your body may think it's at risk of being overstretched. It compensates by contracting and becoming more tense. That means you aren't able to move as fast or as freely, making you more likely to get hurt.

O'Sullivan said stretching helps with flexibility, but people should only do it when they aren't about to exercise, like after a workout, or at the end of the day.

Study Shows Stretching Doesn’t Prevent or Cause Injury, but Switching Routines Might (http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20110217/stretch-before-running-new-twist-on-old-debate)

Sports Science Update: Static Stretching Before Running (http://running.competitor.com/2011/06/sports-science-update/sports-science-update-static-stretching-before-running_29625)

There ya go! And you can always google for more.

whitestiletto
July 10th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I get really sweaty too from biking around in the southern humidity, and I find it comes out nicely with a water rinse followed by conditioner. The shampoo I feel is unnecessary every time.

As for holding it up without scrunchie friction, I get a great hold using octopus clips (http://www.hairflairboutique.com/images/hair-accessories/Scunci-Octopus-Jaw-Clips-Dark-2031C.jpg). To bun it, I take the whole body of my hair and twist it into a tight spiral, then twist the spiral around itself and tuck the end between the bun and my head, then place the clip over where the end is tucked in. I hope that makes sense, it's a pretty simple bun. I also twist it in the same direction for years and I think this has helped train my hair to be curlier.

Azhtabak
July 10th, 2011, 01:27 PM
For me it depends what I've been doing; most of the time I don't need to wash my hair since it doesn't really get sweaty; particularly given as I live in NE England, not known for its warm weather :)
After I've been riding though it always needs a wash; lots of hair trapped under a sweaty helmet :P

MidnightStar
July 10th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks for those links, chahuahuas!
So I've been wanting to do a deep treatment with coconut oil, and decided that, since it's so hot outside today, I'd just slap it all on, bun up my hair, and then go for a walk. Uh...this was a bit of a mistake, I think. I had never used coconut oil before, so perhaps I used too much, and maybe it was just *too* hot...anyway, about halfway through, I noticed that the oil was dripping off onto my skin, clothes, everything. It was a mess!
But, on the plus side, using a claw clip and getting all my hair up and out of the way was great! :D

thestookem
July 10th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I MUST wash my hair after every work out. In the horrible Florida humidity my sweat doesn't evaporate so after I lift weights and run I look like I jumped in a pool with my clothes on.

I mix one tablespoon of conditioner and 16 fl-oz of water in a shaker cup when I shower. It washes out all the salty sweat and keeps my hair from smelling bad.

MermaidOH
August 5th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I exercise and do cardio or run about 5 days a week and I usually put my almost APL length hair in a ponytail with a non-metal hair elastic/hair tie/pony holder (whatever you want to call it) but I don't know if wearing it in the same ponytail would be damaging to my hair. My question is how do others wear there hair when exercising?:ponder:

Mirsha
August 5th, 2011, 08:31 AM
French braid(s). It's not long enough to slap me on the shoulders.. yet. It's comfy and I don't have to worry about my hair falling out of my bun/pony/scarf.

dulce
August 5th, 2011, 08:46 AM
1 wear mine [no elastic] coiled in a low bun held with a beak clip or ficcare.1t works well,holds like a rock,and with bouncing or jumping it doesn't pull on my roots or side hair.

Crysta
August 5th, 2011, 08:50 AM
pulled loose;ly into a jaw clip high on the back of my head, I do fairly intense cardio so if it wasn't all tight it'd be flopping out of it.

Krentje
August 5th, 2011, 08:52 AM
French braid(s). It's not long enough to slap me on the shoulders.. yet. It's comfy and I don't have to worry about my hair falling out of my bun/pony/scarf.

Ditto. My hair is longer so i loop the end and bun it with a flexi or just tie it somehow.

CarpeDM
August 5th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I work out pretty hard and therefore sweat a lot so I like double braids because my hair doesn't swing that way (along with the sweat) when I run, which I'm sure everyone around me at the gym appreciates :)

Ligeia_13
August 5th, 2011, 08:55 AM
pulled loose;ly into a jaw clip high on the back of my head, I do fairly intense cardio so if it wasn't all tight it'd be flopping out of it.

I do this too. It still manages to come out sometimes, though.

curlymarcia
August 5th, 2011, 09:24 AM
i wear a loose bun using a scrunchie, my hair stays in place and it is comfy.

Sundial
August 5th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I have been putting mine in a low ponytail held with a silk scrunchie so that it doesn't swing too much. Today I finally tried a lazy wrap bun with a Flexi8 and it held up well

Buggheart
August 5th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Sort of depends on the type of exercise I'm doing. For walking or running it's either a low ponytail or a french braid or two. For yoga I do an english braid so it doesn't hurt my head when I lay down.

princessp
August 5th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I put mine up in a cinnabun held with quattro flex sticks. I think it all depends on your hair, but I tested different hairtoys for 2 weeks (details in my blog (http://pandoraslocks.blogspot.com/2011/04/long-hair-and-working-out-p90x.html) if you are interested) and that is what worked the absolute best for me.

longcurlygirl<3
August 5th, 2011, 11:11 AM
A normal one strand braid. Holds tight and do not have to redo it once I am finish :)

Fairlight63
August 5th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I put on a head band to keep hairs out of my face. Then I put it in a braided bun held with a ficcare.

wvgemini
August 5th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Depends on what type of exercise I'm doing. I'll either ponytail, messy bun or French braid depending on the activity.

cocoahair
August 5th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I make a ponytail and then two braids and i take one of the braids and wrap it around the base of the ponytail holder one ways and I wrap the other one in the opposite direction and i use hair pins to secure it all.

FluffSpider
August 5th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I go to aerobics class, and it's usually mixed with pilates. I don't have time to redo hair in between, so I need something very stable for the jumping part and comfy to rest on in pilates.
I tried: high ponytail, with the tail being braided in about ten small braids. Held very well, but swooshed around like CRAZY. Also, wasn't too good for the pilates, but I've had worse. Any horizontal hair stick is a fail in my case. I've also tried a sock bun held with a gazzilion hair pins, but it got loosened up in the aerobics part.

You could do heidi braids, but I hate how they look on me:( will be watching this.

Sweet_Decadence
August 5th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I wear a soft fabric hairband, to keep my hair off my face and a bun right up on the top of my hear, so I can I can do exercises that require my lying down, like benchpress. This also help me not get my hair caught on the olympic bars when I'm weight training and keeps it from bouncing all over the place when doing more dynamic and cardio type exercises.

MermaidOH
August 5th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Wow lots of great suggestions! I need to become more proficient in braiding, sounds like braids are a really great option.

racrane
August 5th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I like french braids, too. I'm still messy with them but they do the job. It's comfortable for when I'm doing mat work.

kidari
August 5th, 2011, 07:00 PM
If I'm only doing weights I'll wear a sock bun but if I'm doing a lot of cardio, a low ponytail or a low messy bun with an elastic is the most comfortable for me.

vcupcake
August 5th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I put my hair in a bun. I dance and a lot of the women in my class wear their hair in ponytails, but I have whipped myself in the eye with my hair before and don't care to repeat the experience.

joyxo
August 5th, 2011, 07:36 PM
french braid if it's high impact: zumba, running
english or ponytail for just walking ;)

Kindredraeven
August 5th, 2011, 07:43 PM
French braid. It stays so much better.

Audrey Horne
August 5th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I wear two braids (with lacing in the front or two French/Dutch), nothing else works for me including a single braid

Snowflakey
August 14th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I'm having troubles getting my hair to stay put when I run. A ponytail doesn't really stop it from flinging around, and buns just don't stay. I tried using three hairsticks (my hair isn't even that thick) and a hair net over everything, but the bun becomes undone and my hair just falls loosely into the net. Buns for me seem to be secure when I walk, but after running for a while it just starts to fall apart.

Any runners or athletes here have advice?

wendyg
August 14th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Not a runner, but I play tennis. I braid it, then coil the braid and hold it up with a four-prong fork, usually from 60th St. (I also wear a baseball cap, so the bun sticks out in the hole at the back.)

wg

spidermom
August 14th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Single dutch braid down the back usually.
Occasionally two braids.

tigereye
August 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I am not exactly an athlete, but when I'm out running around with things, I find my Ravenscroft moonfork very secure. Torrin's youtube tutorial on the ravenscroft moon has a bun that she made specifically for it, I think called the moonbun, and just like she said, it holds like rock, even in my soft, slippy, straight hair. Other styles with it are pretty secure too. Otherwise, braided styles are generally what holds best. Bun-wise, french and dutch styles tend to hold better than english braided styles, because you can put the hairstick under the dutch/french part that is attached to your head. Also, you want to go through, not under the end of the braid with a hairstick, just before an elastic or holder, and get plently hair near the scalp. I never really had much of a problem with getting buns to stay when I'm on the move. The only ones which really don't stay in my hair when I'm out on the move are chinese buns,treble clefs and the celtic knot.

torrilin
August 14th, 2011, 04:28 PM
What kind of running? I don't think a marathoner's steady jog is likely to cause issues with buns, but that isn't the only kind of running...

Anyway, I mostly bike. English braids (both single and twin), French braids (ditto), flipped cinnabuns and infinity buns all stay pretty well. I tend to use pins rather than hairsticks, either U shaped pins or spin pins. I don't really worry about using a lot of pins... better to use 3-4 pins and have my hair stay up than go minimalist and have to argue with my hair on a long ride.

jlw9222
August 14th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I'm a big long distance runner...I oil the ends of my hair, twist it into a low side bun, then, clip it all with a medium sized hair claw clip and use smaller claws to secure the other side. My hair is hip length.

I've tried the ponytail style, but my hair gets molested in the wind and constant swinging.

Tuna
August 14th, 2011, 05:39 PM
My hair is hip lenght... and i braid it in a single braid.

dulce
August 14th, 2011, 07:02 PM
1 do a low nape coiled bun[ no elastics] held with a ficcare or a beak clip, or a single braid down the back held with a flexi 8 clip.

Lady Dragon
August 14th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Since it's on the short side right now just pigtails or a ponytail.
When it was long I'd often braid it.

Firefly
August 14th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Perhaps you just need to learn how to do a tighter bun? One that will stay for you? I do a very low nape bun that I secure with a stick and usually don't have any problems. Alternatively I would do a single braid-- French or English. I hope you find something that works for you. :)

Monkey962
August 14th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I did a braided knot bun today that survived a half century's worth of bike riding on New England roads. I was actually pretty surprised at how well it stayed up.

Spacescape
August 14th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I do ballet and I always have my hair in a bun--basic cinnamon buns, figure-eight buns, and two Dutch braids pinned in a figure-eight around each other or a bun like this (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/classic.htm)are my favorites. For a dance class, I use two Spin Pins and lots of hefty bun pins like these (http://www.allaboutdance.com/dance-clothing/product-view/style_BH437.html?SID=268280469&mainCategory=ACC&brand=BUNHEADS&PageNumber=1). My hair normally stays in firmly through two hours of morning class and the rest of the day, including lots of jumping and fast turning. I'm actually quite surprised to see all the people who use only-hairsticks/fork/clip buns successfully... I personally wouldn't be able to make it through any sort of "bouncy" physical activity without lots of pins :confused:

How are you applying and attaching the hair net around your bun? I have had good success with hair nets, but I find they can be a little picky sometime.

Also, as other posters have said, you might try braids. I can't dance in loose braids because I would whip myself across the face every time I turned, but it might be more comfortable than a ponytail for running.

Metallia
October 12th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I work out a lot and the only thing that works for me is a single braid or two braids. You could try putting elastics down the braid to hold it in place, sometimes I do that too.
I've found that I can't do ponytails or buns because they fall out, but what I run into with either a single braid or pigtail braids is that they are constantly whipping in my face. My hair is BSL, so coiling up the braids is still hard to do. Any suggestions?

Gutterfayrie
October 12th, 2011, 05:47 PM
a bun held with two spin pins (pulled thru the back of a base ball cap to keep the sun off my face) is the only thing that holds my tailbone length hair for me when I go running/jogging, hth!

Madora
October 12th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Could you try this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=90386

Begins as a French Dutch braid at the top (don't braid too tightly).

The end of the braid is then threaded through the top of the braid and then coiled into a braided bun that sits just above the French braid.

This might be more labor intensive than you'd like, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Metallia
October 12th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Could you try this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=90386

Begins as a French Dutch braid at the top (don't braid too tightly).

The end of the braid is then threaded through the top of the braid and then coiled into a braided bun that sits just above the French braid.

This might be more labor intensive than you'd like, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
Are you threading it through the top from side to side, or up from the bottom to come out the top? This is all great info (and if it looks good for later, more perfect still!), I'm glad someone had already started this thread!

sonng
October 12th, 2011, 08:24 PM
You can try to do braided pigtails. I also find that a bun or ponytail hurts my head a lot when i jog or do any other exercise. Braided pigtails protect my hair from friction so maybe u can try it out next time.

teal
October 12th, 2011, 08:33 PM
A braided bun at the crown and held with spin pins? That's my go-to sports hairstyle.

AnnaJamila
October 12th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Have you ever tried braiding it in a plait then pulling the tail through the top then pinning it to stay? That should cut the length in half while not pulling. :)

Madora
October 12th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Are you threading it through the top from side to side, or up from the bottom to come out the top? This is all great info (and if it looks good for later, more perfect still!), I'm glad someone had already started this thread!

You French Dutch braid down the center of the head and to the ends (braid somewhat loosely so there's a bit of flexibility).

Bend the braid so it forms a "U" (about 3 inches below the nape) and bring the braid up the side of where the French Dutch braid began. Pull the tassle thru the top of the French braid (use the Topsytail tool to pull the braid thru the strand).

Coil the remaining braid just above the French braid and pin securely.

Spec. note: if you find it too hard to pull the braid thru with the Topsytail tool, unbraid the ends of the braid a little, thread the loose hair thru the TT and pull it all the way through. Then rebraid the remaining hair and coil in a circle...or in a bun for a more secure style.

Metallia
October 12th, 2011, 09:14 PM
You French Dutch braid down the center of the head and to the ends (braid somewhat loosely so there's a bit of flexibility).

Bend the braid so it forms a "U" (about 3 inches below the nape) and bring the braid up the side of where the French Dutch braid began. Pull the tassle thru the top of the French braid (use the Topsytail tool to pull the braid thru the strand).

Coil the remaining braid just above the French braid and pin securely.

Spec. note: if you find it too hard to pull the braid thru with the Topsytail tool, unbraid the ends of the braid a little, thread the loose hair thru the TT and pull it all the way through. Then rebraid the remaining hair and coil in a circle...or in a bun for a more secure style.
Thanks! I appreciate the follow-up! :)

DancingQueen
November 1st, 2011, 10:09 AM
I could not find a thread about this, but I thought it might be needed for some of us, so here goes.

How do you wear your hair when you are exercising? What is good and bad about that particular hairstyle? And of course, how long is your hair? Feel free to add pictures if you want. :)

I personally wear a ponytail, high or low, depending on how much I will be on the floor. I would probably do a bun If my hair was longer, but it is only APL right now.

CurlyZ
November 1st, 2011, 10:11 AM
Why don't you try a sock bun?
I did one with a bun maker and it held all day.
(Picture is in my album).

DancingQueen
November 1st, 2011, 10:40 AM
Hmm, not a bad idea with a sock bun. Maybe I'll try it some day. :)

sisi33
November 1st, 2011, 10:41 AM
Hair taping! Super easy, and it stays in FOREVER! Also, the ribbons look pretty!:D

Safira
November 1st, 2011, 10:41 AM
I use frenchbraid and buff. Keeps hair off face. And Buff protects, or at least I want to believe so :D

Zesty
November 1st, 2011, 10:45 AM
My hair is just past waist length, and I usually do a French braid. That way I can do ab exercises that require me to lay down without having to rest my head on a rock hard bun. The only problem is that when we do certain movements it smacks me in the face lol.

A vortex bun is also supposed to be good for cardio and such.

sedonia
November 1st, 2011, 11:04 AM
Either a ponytail or a 30 second bun held in place with a ficcare maxima.

If its going to be a particularly sweaty workout, I prefer a bun, because the ponytail stays in the trough of sweat between my shoulder blades and that just feels icky.

moxamoll
November 1st, 2011, 11:54 AM
I'm still trying to find a good hairstyle for yoga. I need something I can lay on comfortably, but I'd also really prefer something that isn't going to smack me in the face when I'm bent over (braid/ponytail.) I might have to try a really high bun - she doesn't have us doing handstands. Yet. :p

princessp
November 1st, 2011, 11:59 AM
I exercise 6 days a week using a variety of workouts from weights-cardio-yoga and I always use a cinnabun held with quattro flexsticks (I posted in my blog about it). I just pull them out for yoga headstands and such then just put them back in after inversions are complete.

clichepithet
November 1st, 2011, 12:11 PM
Always a braided lazy-wrap bun secured with a large Flexi-8. Since (about, probably) just past BSL and I'm now brushing BCL. It is the most secure for me, holds like a rock. The only issue is if I'm on the floor or bench the Flexi can loosen a notch if I hit it just right, but that's only happened a couple of times. I suppose it would work with a few of my 3" bunheads, but the Flexi is just one thing and if it did loosen there's only one thing to rearrange (thus done more quickly).

jtl45
November 1st, 2011, 12:20 PM
Top knot is my choice!
Jim

PinkyCat
November 1st, 2011, 12:24 PM
I usually do a French braid or a low pony. Anything higher on my head pulls dreadfully while I'm bouncing and gyrating my junk.

Amber_Maiden
November 1st, 2011, 01:06 PM
Hair band + messy bun.

Nastasia
November 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM
I just braid my hair. Yeah, it swings around, but I've gotten used to managing it. My hair is somewhere between tailbone and classic right now, and my usual exercise is karate.

CarpeDM
November 1st, 2011, 01:09 PM
Braided pigtails, not so much an updo as a necessity when working out.

sonng
November 1st, 2011, 01:34 PM
Tie your hair in a ponytail tightly with a metal free bandand then braid the ponytail and tie the end. It is very secure and really easy.

Sundial
November 1st, 2011, 01:38 PM
I wear a lazy wrap bun secured with a Flexi8 (picture in my album). I secure it high on my head if I plan to do weights, otherwise I'll keep it lower. It holds like a rock except when I do quick sprints.

If I intend to go for a quick run, then I'll just put my hair in a low ponytail instead because nothing else holds when I run above a certain speed.

jlo8937
November 1st, 2011, 01:47 PM
I do a high messy bun so when I lay down it is high enough that I won't lie on it.

DancingQueen
November 1st, 2011, 02:31 PM
Lots of good ideas here, I will have to try some of them out sometime.

I tried with a french braid today, something called body toning where you are on the floor half of the time. It worked all right actually, even though it did become a little loose. But maybe it was just my lack of braiding skills. :D

I will be trying some other styles and post how they worked for me. I am looking forward to hear other good ideas. :)

Slinks
November 1st, 2011, 03:51 PM
I workout everyday .. I do 2 english braid buns on either side of my head and secure with small claw clips, I have a gap enough to rest my head on the floor and the buns low enough so my hands can comfortably hold my head when doing crunches ..

DancingQueen
November 2nd, 2011, 05:29 AM
Double braided buns does not sound bad. Maybe when my hair is longer? :)

For all the 'shorties' out there, a cinnamon bun is actually surprisingly good. I did one today, and it stayed there the entire time. Although, It was mostly on the machines, not much floor training. It will probably not work as well when my hair grows longer though.

florenonite
November 2nd, 2011, 09:18 AM
I just braid my hair. Yeah, it swings around, but I've gotten used to managing it. My hair is somewhere between tailbone and classic right now, and my usual exercise is karate.

That's what I did for karate when my hair was waist-length. At the moment it's too short for that so I've been doing a messy bun with hair elastics, but I've been noticing breakage around my hairline as the weight of the bun pulls it down. I'm thinking about trying a Dutch crown for training, with plastic hairpins.

Kristin
January 6th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I'm considering running a 1/2 marathon in about 2 months. Right now, I do a quick French braid down my back for running, but I worry about wearing the same style every run (friction and breakage). I also wear this style for yoga 3-4 times per week. I need a style that will keep most of my hair (including collarbone-length layers) secure for 10+ miles in cold and windy weather. Any suggestions? TIA!

Amazinggrace
January 6th, 2012, 05:40 PM
A crown braid, two french braids that you form into buns at your nape, and two french braids that combine into one at your nape are my go to stlyes.

cheetahfast
January 6th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I'd suggest to french braid into a bun and secure with spin pins.

Back when I ran XC I always just threw it up in a pony.

I think a crown braid might work, I'm just not sure how well it would hold.

battles
January 6th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Crown braid sounds like a good idea. :)

Amazinggrace
January 6th, 2012, 05:56 PM
I do the crown braid while my hair is still pretty damp, with a little gel on my hands.

xoxophelia
January 6th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I do a cinnamon bun and secure it with a few medium sized claw clips. This keeps the ends from rubbing, it is easy to redo midway or something if you want to.. also easy to put up. It is very secure for my hair.

jacqueline101
January 6th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I'd suggest a pony tail basic and sporty.

Browniegirl
January 6th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I have the same problem.I play soccer and my hair often escapes( I look like a mad lion...A french braid is the only thing I have found that actually holds the whole time,and is allowed. Claws,sticks,even pins that poke out,cannot be worn for me,might stab a player.
But if you are a runner, perhaps a bun secured by claws all around would work..hold well, and comfortable.:)

Eboshi
January 6th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I wear a hoodie when I run and have found that is easiest for me to make one long braid and then tuck the braid into the hood. It stays put and doesn't "bounce" around as I run.

Madora
January 6th, 2012, 07:52 PM
This might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Aliora
January 6th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I wear a hoodie when I run and have found that is easiest for me to make one long braid and then tuck the braid into the hood. It stays put and doesn't "bounce" around as I run.

I like that idea!

Alix
January 6th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I vote crown braid as well! I'm a rower and I can't stand having hair on the back of my neck when I'm working out. As long as I secure it well a crown braid will hold.

PixxieStix
January 6th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I wonder if a bun secured with spin pins would hold super tight? Might be worth a try. Otherwise, I fourth (or more, less?) the crown braid, put in with damp hair. I always wore the plain old ponytail, but looking back oh boy did I have splits and breakage galore!

CarpeDM
January 6th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I always sport double braids when I run!

letibear
January 6th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I agree with the French braid into a nape bun. Seems like the most solid protection without much friction.

kittensoupnrice
January 6th, 2012, 10:58 PM
For martial arts, I preferred two figure eight braids (kind of like Torrin Paige's Bweeta's Buns).

When I'm jogging at the gym, I like to do a folded french braid, secured with spin pins and a Ficcare. Mostly because it's fast and easier to do than a crown braid. The spin pins keep the braids from slipping out of the Ficcare, and the Ficcare keeps everything snug against my head.

A crown braid is also a great way to go, if you are handy with the dutch braiding. Another option is to do heidi braids secured with Italian hair taping. It takes a little longer to put up, but can last for DAYS and is super comfortable.

lacefrost
January 6th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Actually, I'd go with Madora's style in her sig pic. It's almost like a crown braid but not quite. I think it's a dutch braid (or two) pinned around her head. I suggest this over the crown braid because if the crown braid isn't secured well enough and starts falling apart, there's nothing you can do. You just gotta keep running as it (crazily) unravels. At least with Madora's you could redo it quickly with amish pins or something else in your pockets.

ETA: the heidi braids with hair taping that kittensoupnrice suggested sounds good too.

CherrySilver
January 7th, 2012, 12:32 AM
The bun thing (high or low) never worked for me for yoga or running -- there was always too much weight and it would end up stressing my scalp. A crown braid is the only thing so far that has remained secure amidst lots of jostling and moving around. Two pigtails, criss-crossed in the back, wrapped around the head and secured with bobby pins is my go-to style for now. Just be careful pulling the pins out, and you'll be fine.

missdelarocha
January 7th, 2012, 01:33 AM
This might help:

I love Lillith Moon :crush:, I hope one day she joins LHC.

Crown braid sounds like a well distributed way to wear your hair for running.

sarelis
January 7th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Thanks for asking this question! I was running yesterday & my hair was slipping out of it's high bun, I thought the weight of it swinging around was gonna pull my head off lol! I will definately be trying some of these suggestions myself :)

Braidy
January 7th, 2012, 05:14 AM
My running style at the moment is a braided pony tail. Keeps your hair away from your neck (I hate that) without causing the pony tail trouble of tangles and breakage. Then again, I'm at BSL right now, once my hair gets longer, I might want to switch styles.

terylenerose
February 15th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I'm not even really sure if there should be a thread like this, so please forgive me if you don't feel the need. I thought there should be a thread for all the members who dance or exercise and have special hair concerns.
I do Highland dance myself, for which my hair always needs to be up in a bun or ponytail. However, with my annoying layers and natural frizz, I always need hairspray for performances and competitions so I don't have short pieces sticking out everywhere. I worry sometimes that this is drying, but I think it's harmless because my spray is all natural. I also need to practice every day (which I don't) so I always need it to be in some sort of style. I would do stick buns, but I can't get them to stay in because my hair's too short and I'm not good enough at doing them.
Feel free to share your own stories, advice, comments, whatever. :)

Angel_Abby
February 15th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I'm not even really sure if there should be a thread like this, so please forgive me if you don't feel the need. I thought there should be a thread for all the members who dance or exercise and have special hair concerns.
I do Highland dance myself, for which my hair always needs to be up in a bun or ponytail. However, with my annoying layers and natural frizz, I always need hairspray for performances and competitions so I don't have short pieces sticking out everywhere. I worry sometimes that this is drying, but I think it's harmless because my spray is all natural. I also need to practice every day (which I don't) so I always need it to be in some sort of style. I would do stick buns, but I can't get them to stay in because my hair's too short and I'm not good enough at doing them.
Feel free to share your own stories, advice, comments, whatever. :)

How do you feel about bun covers? There are some really nice ones on etsy! I also am growing out layers and they are just the trick to keep everything in! :)

spidermom
February 15th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I usually braid for exercise. Today I made 2 simple english braids.

terylenerose
February 15th, 2012, 12:57 PM
How do you feel about bun covers? There are some really nice ones on etsy! I also am growing out layers and they are just the trick to keep everything in! :)
Sorry, but I don't understand how bun covers would keep layers in. :confused:

dulce
February 15th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I like a chignon held with a beak clip or ficcare,or a french braid down my back.

Angel_Abby
February 15th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Sorry, but I don't understand how bun covers would keep layers in. :confused:
I apologize, I thought you were referring to bits sticking out from the bun. I realize now you must mean you have flyaways on the sides?

A bun cover certainly would not work for that! Sorry.

steph in tx
February 15th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I also have a problem when I try to wear buns & exercise. The weight of my hair just pulls the bun right out. So I stick with braids, depending on the exercise. I imagine I could get a bun to stay up with a lot of Amish pins, but since the style isn't important for me as I'm not performing, I just don't mess with it. In your situation, I think the hairspray is probably required. I don't see any other way of keeping everything in. Maybe someone else has a better idea?

Moonlake
February 15th, 2012, 01:48 PM

heidi w.
February 15th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Unless ALL of my hair is well anchored, any kind of exercise I can expect it to fall out entirely. For dancing, wearing in a bun of some kind seems to be the best, although it's now been a while since I've danced or had anyone ask me to dance.

Braids work really well but they do flop a bit when I get into this or that contortion (when exercising, which I also hardly ever do now).

heidi w.

heidi w.
February 15th, 2012, 02:02 PM
The OP might have some success with Aloe Vera Gel even over all natural hair spray. It's a thought to consider.....

heidi w.

lunalocks
February 15th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I used to put my hair in a pony, then realized I was continually tightening it and this was causing breakage. Now I bun and hold in place with spin pins, or do a side braid and use a soft scrunchie in a different place each time to prevent breakage.

papillon
February 15th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I usually put my hair in one single braid. Sometimes I'll start with a half up ponytail to secure hair on the sides and then incorporate that in a braid.

For flyaways and layers, I can only recommend a lot of bobby pins and hairspray. :eek:

Rivanariko
February 15th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Most of the time I use a single braid. The flopping around doesn't really bother me anymore.

roundforest
February 16th, 2012, 05:47 AM
I use 3 spin pins in a bun and surround it with a velvet scrunchy - this usually holds pretty well. I have used a hair fork and had it catapult itself across the floor, which is rather embarassing. One of my daughters has very straight hair and can dance all night in a sock bun without it budging, but my waviest daughter's hair escapes from the same bun in about a quarter of an hour.

QMacrocarpa
February 16th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I've had good success with buns secured with Ficcare Maximas type clips (including cheap versions). A split bun secured that way is quite dance-stable for me (though I may be outgrowing this style, yesterday I couldn't get it to work:confused:). A folded braid or log roll is also good, and I think a nautilus bun would also work. A pinless braided bun with a couple of supplementary spin-pins has also worked for me (creating "the braided bun formerly known as pinless"?;)). And there is always my old favorite, the cheater's easy hairstick bun (like the split bun, but with a hair elastic foundation).

Lippytoes
February 16th, 2012, 08:22 AM
I dance, and sometimes put my hair in a braid (English or Dutch), with a long tassel so that I don't smack my partners painfully in the face. ;) Usually it's in a cinnabun for dance class though (braided is most secure), fastened with small claw clips or very secure hair pins. Sticks are a no-no for me in dance class - they might poke someone's eye out! :D

Oh yeah, and crown braids are also fantastic for dancing. So secure!

terylenerose
February 17th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Angel_Abby, thank you! I actually have both problems - the sticky-outy bits on the bun and the flyaways on the sides. The flyaways are really just too-short layers. Bun covers might help with one, but not the other. I have to rely on hair clips for the front pieces, and spray for performances.

steph in tx, sorry I don't know how to make a bun stay without a lot of pins, clips or elastics. Wish I could tell you though!

Moonlake, thanks much for the videos!

heidi w., I don't normally use aloe vera gel because, well, I am too lazy and cautious to dig it out of our plant and I don't see it in stores. I will look around though - thanks.

Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions and comments. :) Glad to see I started a worthwhile thread. By the way, today I managed to make a single stick bun that actually stayed in. :) I'm making progress!

Spacescape
February 18th, 2012, 12:06 AM
I've been dancing (ballet) for most of my life, and I have to secure everything with Spin Pins and giant Bunheads bun pins that I got from my local dance shop (www.discountdance (http://www.discountdance) has them too). Clips, sticks, forks, etc. do nothing for me--I can keep a four-prong fork in when I'm teaching, but when I'm taking class myself my hair goes :spitting:and drops hair toys on the floor. Not only is that embarassing, but it's dangerous for dancers, too, so the only toys I use are tiny, light, and only for decoration.

My go-to style is 2 French/Dutch braids on each side of my head, pinned up in a variety of ways. For a long time I did this (http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=63) with the ends, except with lots of Bunhead pins instead of hairsticks. Now that my hair is too long to tuck the tassels under neatly, I pin the ends up in a bun like this (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/classic.htm) with Spin Pins and Bunheads pins. I can't leave it in all day because it starts to pull, but it works great for class.

Finally, the hairspray... I admit to being more okay with styling products than I probably should be for the sake of my hair, so I might not be the best for advice on that ;) That being said, I have a lot of trouble with "wispies" and I use hairspray for performances if I don't do Dutch braids on the sides (they tend to grab my short bits of hair so they don't stick out). I've found that when I get home, I need to take my hair out with no brushing and as little manipulation as possible, then get straight in the shower and wash gently, but thoroughly. My hair doesn't feel great the next day, but it recovers quickly. Of course, I don't know how often you perform, but I think it's possible that if you are gentle with your hair, hairspray every now and then might not be so bad?

coastalnicole
March 8th, 2012, 12:47 AM
How do you fit in an hour or more at the gym with long hair? Is there a style you wear your hair in? What about showering afterwards? Please share!

Shermie Girl
March 8th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I wear a braid or a very well anchored bun. When I shower, I take my hair down and wash it. :D

cwarren
March 8th, 2012, 01:13 AM
I work out 3x a week. My hair is usually in a low bun when I go jogging. I co-wash after every workout so the salt from sweating doesn't dry out my hair.

hototogisu
March 8th, 2012, 02:53 AM
I powerlift and run, and my go-to style is a Dutch braid. Buns always bounce out of my hair when I run and get in the way when I lie on a bench for bench press, but the braid stays put and takes care of my annoying layers. I actually clip up the braid with a metal sectioning clip for squat, because the knurling on an Olympic bar will just tear up your hair. I look ridiculous but it works.

hototogisu
March 8th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Oh, and I don't do anything special afterwards, shower-wise. I wear a shower cap if it's not a wash day or wash it if it is. It's so cold in the Netherlands that my scalp doesn't get too sweaty after I run. If my hair does feel a bit manky and it's not wash day I just dry shampoo.

thelambscottage
March 8th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I wear my hair in a braid or braids, and then use a shower cap when I take a shower. Sometimes I comb my hair again afterwards if I get really sweaty, but I don't wash it again.

CarpeDM
March 8th, 2012, 09:15 AM
A single braid or double braids work for me!

SimplyViki
March 8th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I just braid it. Afterwards, I wash it, because I get very sweaty when I work out.

heidi w.
March 8th, 2012, 10:48 AM
When I used to work out, which I no longer do <ahem>, I wore my hair in one long braid because if I ran or jumped around, buns would come out and make it difficult for me to lay down on the back of my head (such as bench lifting)......

As for washing it, unless I swam, I generally waited to get home to shower/wash my hair because it's a thing people like to watch me do in a more public arena.

Where I live now, I've had the privilege a few times to use their facilities to swim and I like washing my hair in their restrooms because the showers are private. However, when I walk around or am lightly detangling my hair, I can hear them talking behind me. Sometimes they've been brave and approached me.

heidi w.

dulce
March 8th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I do a lazywrap bun with a beak clip or a braid down the back.

jc10event
March 8th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I do alot of working out, sometimes in the gym sometimes outside. Of course long hair is very helpfull for outside in the cold.
When inside, I it depends on what I do. If running, which i do most. I just go with a ponytail or braid.
If team sport like basketball, its a bun or a high pony braid. Im a guy so many of the others laugh at first.
If swimming, I have foregon the cap at this length. I baught a top and cut then stitched the edges of slits and thus have a place to tuck the hair in, keeping it from tangling with legs, arms or into the lane ropes.
Depending on your length I would say dictates the most.
I like keeping mine down unless it gets into others way.
I do track and high jump. One time the bun I put it in came loose and the braid fell onto the bar, knocking it off.
nothing feels better though then having your hair swishing back and forth at your waist and sometimes hitting your elbows.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/69644363@N06/6330087020/in/photostream
:) Whatever you do stay at it. like anything you do with long hair, you will need to wash. the benefits of exercise upon your hair is tremendous.

jc10event
March 8th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Sorry, one more thing. If lifting, I typically lay on the braid, this keeps my posture better in line.
I find a good time to set your style is when walking into the gym or doing a warm up. (as a trainer and coach, deeply recommend that no matter what your do, try a dynamic warmup).

CariadA
March 8th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I do cardio followed by free weights three days a week and for those days, I wear my hair in a rolled sock bun anchored with spin pins. Then there are three days a week I do cardio followed by Pilates (Reformer, Cadillac, mat and arm weights); on those days I need to do the sock bun for cardio then re-do my hair in a top knot for Pilates. Re-doing my hair is kind of annoying, but the only style that doesn't get in my way during Pilates is a top knot, which comes undone when doing cardio. (ETA: I do cardio and Pilates in two different locations, so I just re-do my hair when I get in my car /end ETA)

I shower when I get home from the gym. I keep my hair in whichever bun it's in and cover it with a Tassi headband. Of course, on wash days I just wash it like normal.

styric
March 8th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I use a pencil bun then secure with spin pins. It didn't even budge during pole dancing

xoxophelia
March 8th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I often use a cinnamon bun with mini (kind of medium sized really) claw clips around it. This works really well for running in the winter instead of having the ends blow around in the cold dry air. Braids also work well but it depends on what you are doing. I personally don't like getting knocked in the back with a braid while I run ^_^'

ladyshep
March 8th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I agree. A tight inside out braid works great. Also tieing the hair tie leaving the ends tucked under the final wrap shrinks it up more. And it's very athletic looking. :)

If your just jogging, you could use spin pins in a low bun ( I just started to use those) and it keeps the hair nice and tight.

Kristin
March 8th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I braid my hair for running and yoga; braids are secure, comfortable, and out of the way. I CO most of the time, but S/C if I feel like I need it.

SimplyViki
March 9th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I just remembered, I do a Dianyla braid (archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23652) for working out. It seems to hold the base of the braid higher up off my neck, which keeps it more out of my way. I can't remember for the life of me where I first found the instructions, which I seem to remember coming with a little Microsoft Paint diagram where it shows how she divides the hair before braiding, but I can't seem to find it now.

didrash
March 9th, 2012, 08:07 AM
My hair is not very long yet, only apl, so I make a low ponytail. It allows me to lie on the bench and keeps it out of my face when I run. I sweat a lot when I work out, so I have to at least rinse my hair out afterwards. I carry shampoo and conditioner in my sports bag so I wash it if I have to. I do not use a dryer, however, just but in wet and the air conditioner at the office dries it out pretty quickly for me :).

cleanbug
March 9th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I do cardio and weights 3-4 times a week and usually wear my hair in 2 braids (laura ongalls style). That seems simplist and quickest and doesn't interfere with bench press, skull crushers or squats. I just trimmed off 3-4 inches so I might get by with a high pony now that a little weight is cut away.

jasper
March 9th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I go after work at the end of my day so I don't need to be presentable after. Usually I have my hair in a folded ponytail, but sometimes a braid or bun.

Diamond.Eyes
March 9th, 2012, 05:53 PM
I do Zumba 3x a week and Yoga 2x a week. I put my hair in a high ponytail and then braid the ponytail into a simple English braid. I sometimes braid my bangs to get them out of my face as well. This style is very secure and cute. :)

beckishness
March 9th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I usually just do cardio or some sort of workout DVD when I exercise. I like to wear my hair in a braid. It seems to hold best. When I shower after I normally just put it in a shower cap unless it is a wash day. :)

LadyinTheMeads
March 9th, 2012, 06:22 PM
I do Bodyrock and started off with my hair in a braid, then became concerned that all the bouncing around was causing breakage. Now I pin it up in milkmaid braids and it doesn't move around or get in my way. If I don't feel like doing two braids, I will just do one. It doesn't go all the way around my head yet, but nobody sees me so I don't care. :)

Sammich
March 9th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I wear a bun at the back of my head. If I'm doing sittups... I do a low pony. Showering? I put in a bun, it doesn't get wet. :)

spidermom
March 9th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Most often one braid down the back. Sometimes 2 braids.

Deborah
March 9th, 2012, 10:21 PM
I work out first thing in the morning in my pj's. I just shove my hair on top of my head in the sloppiest bun that is some sort of twisted mess, held up with a Ficcare. Being on top of my head usually keeps it from falling out. Lower on my head, the bun's weight make it tend to work loose.

For me the key is:

1. Top of head for balance

2. Ficcare for strength

I don't shower after unless it's Saturday. Sweat is pretty much just water. I ignore it. It dries on its' own, and does not make my hair oily, contrary to popular belief.

bluesnowflake
March 27th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Does anyone know of a very secure hairstyle that's comfortable? I've started running, and originally I tried a braid but it bounces and bounces against my back and gets annoying after a while. The pinned buns I've tried have all fallen. How do you wear your hair when you exercise?

Vanilla
March 27th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Two Heidi braids pinned up seems to be the most secure for me when I exercise.

GeoJ
March 27th, 2012, 07:32 PM
The most secure style for me is a nautilus bun held with jaw clips (I file the seams). This withstands all kinds of running & jumping. The only trouble I've had with it are the clips getting broken when we do jujitsu in martial arts class (but that's better than metal pins poking into my scalp).

For just running and regular workouts Heidi Braids work great. I've also had success with an infinity bun held with a ketylo stick (hasn't worked since my hair got thinner from shedding).

novemberfoxtrot
March 27th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I heidi braid too. I want to crown braid but I haven't figured that one out yet. But the heidi braids don't bounce so they don't come loose.

I'm excited to be getting back into running...here's hoping it's injury free!

jc10event
March 27th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Does anyone know of a very secure hairstyle that's comfortable? I've started running, and originally I tried a braid but it bounces and bounces against my back and gets annoying after a while. The pinned buns I've tried have all fallen. How do you wear your hair when you exercise?

I've been running for a long time and I don't really put it up unless running near trees. They really love to hold your hair and run their fingers through it.
My favorite running up-do is a braided high ponytail. Although Cinnabon Hair has a great never falls out bun, and does a video at you tube on her website Beyond Classic Length. As you hair gets longer past tailbone you have to start etching it wrapping into thigh if you lift knee in front. Once past knee it can get tangled into your back-kick.
The braid fold up is good also.
I kind of like mine bouncing against my backside.
By the way, I'm a running coach, give me yell if you need some help.

caiti42
March 27th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I do a high pony tail and braid the 'tail'.

Only style that doesn't fall out on me!

lirael
March 27th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I always do a french braid starting as high on my head as I can. That eats up some of the length so there is less of it flopping around on my back. My hair is pretty straight and slippery, so no bun stays in for any amount of running.

shawty
March 27th, 2012, 10:02 PM
You could try this if you have a hair fork: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50792

Good luck!

Raponsje
March 27th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Although it looks a little dressy, the crownbraid works best for me. Or a french braid will do. I like the Lara Croft feel of that.

white.chocolate
March 28th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I just do a Dutch braid and run with it, but I'm guessing the Elling braided bun should be secure enough. I find it an extremely comfortable hairstyle.

oktobergoud
March 28th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I just wear a pony but I still have short hair but I suggest Dutch braiding it? Maybe some sort of crownbraid?

kidari
March 28th, 2012, 03:49 PM
The only thing that works for me is a low caterpillar braid.. I only use three hair ties and leave a lot of the ends free so it doesn't annoy me when I run. Any form of low ponytails I love best.

Anything high on my head pulls my scalp and anything that involves pins come loose.

moxamoll
March 28th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I'm just about to start running, so some experimentation is definitely in order. But I was thinking that some kind of braid taping might work well. Such as Torrin's Faux Crown Braid.

afu
March 28th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I find that if i do a sock bun as high as i possibly can on my head (as in right on the top, flatish bit so its not going to be moving up and down) that works really well for me running and playing lacrosse. i know it doesnt sound like the most secure thing but the key is getting it right on top of the head

Tea Lady
March 28th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I use a bun fastened with a large Ficcare clip. I have also done a Dutch braid, but I hate having anything against my neck because I sweat so much! I have also done a braided bun held with either a Ficcare or two small jaw clips.

Tea Lady

schweedie
March 29th, 2012, 02:45 AM
I'd suggest investing in a pair of spin pins - a braided cinnabun held with spin pins is without question one of most secure updos I've ever worn.

auburntressed
March 29th, 2012, 03:03 AM
I'd suggest investing in a pair of spin pins - a braided cinnabun held with spin pins is without question one of most secure updos I've ever worn.

This. If you do a braided bun and use spin pins to secure it, it won't come out.

maria_asa
March 29th, 2012, 03:53 AM
What works best for me is a french braid with the tail folded up over the braid. I wrap an elastic around the folded part first and then secure it against the head with a flexi-8. The french braid part is the key for me because if I do a regular braid and fold it up it just starts slipping down as soon as I move.

jacqueline101
March 29th, 2012, 04:59 AM
I do a high pony tail.

Jemoiselle
March 29th, 2012, 05:25 AM
I would use a four prong hair fork, and a braided bun or lazy wrap bun. Four pronged forks hold my hair like super glue! A crown braid sounds the most comfy though, I just don't know how to do one on myself! If you can figure it out, you should so try it!

Gutterfayrie
March 29th, 2012, 05:29 AM
A bun held with spin pins works best for me, doesn't have to be braided.

white.chocolate
March 29th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I did some running with a braided vortex bun held with amish pins. It works really well! I had previously suggested the Elling braided bun, but now I'm not too sure about it. It rests too low on the nape of my neck because of my length, and I didn't find that very comfortable with all the sweat from running.

melusine963
March 29th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I've also just started running, and the only hair style that holds up is a cinnabun, using spin pins. Provided I've put them in properly to secure the ends, it holds like a rock.

luckyduck
March 31st, 2012, 09:33 PM
I have started tucking the end of my braid into my jog-bra. I bring it over my shoulder, and just tuck it in. When I get a little more length, I will bring it under my arm to secure it. It stays in place, and the ends don't get the wear and tear of being loose and bouncing around.

zombi
March 31st, 2012, 09:39 PM
A bun held with spin pins works best for me, doesn't have to be braided.
Same here. I imagine when my hair gets longer I will have to reassess but for now this works.

Melanie Marie
March 31st, 2012, 11:21 PM
Heidi braids or a roped vortex bun are great. I know you said your buns have come out, but a roped vortex bun always works well for me. I wear these two styles for modern dance and they hold very well!

tokitoki
June 11th, 2012, 08:08 PM
So I found this thread right before going for my run earlier today trying to find a style that wouldn't pull my hair or rub on my neck. What I ended up doing is probably very specific to my hair length but I thought I'd post it in case it helps anyone else.
I dutch braided a pigtail down either side of my head, closer to my face, then wrapped the braided pigtails behind my head, and back up to the top of my head. I put the pigtails in front of the dutch braids (closer to my face) then tied them securely together at the top with a hair tie. The dutch braiding kept the pigtails from falling back off my head. There was a goofy tail at the top sticking up, but I just took a few flat bobby pins and pinned it down.
Hope this helps someone else!

Tisiloves
June 11th, 2012, 08:33 PM
How about an Elling woman bun?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL2jGJvMBI4

juicy-glitter
June 11th, 2012, 09:04 PM
This might help:

I also suggest this. It looks like you have a lot of hair though, so maybe a true french braid-crown braid would work better......

Other than that, french braid, twist the bottom into a bun, and SPIN PIN :D

patienceneeded
June 11th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I do a regular english braid, fold it up against my scalp, and then secure it with a flexi8. I let the ends flop around like a ponytail. Works well for me, and keeps it off my neck.

Thenolegirl
June 11th, 2012, 09:23 PM
I wear a french braid for anything that I absolutely need my hair out of my way. I wonder how spin pins would hold up to running though? I also like the the combination twin french braids coming together in an English braid =) I'm gonna do that for working out!

ravenheather
June 11th, 2012, 10:45 PM
I don't run but I recently put my hair in a lazy wrap bun held by two antler forks from grahtoe studio that held while I was jumping on a trampoline.

luckyshot
June 11th, 2012, 11:23 PM
I do a french or dutch braid, both hold equally well for me, and my hair is short enough that the end doesn't bother me. When my hair gets longer I will probably do two french/dutch braids and wrap the ends. For yoga and my HIIT (both of which I do at home) I do a crown braid. I don't do it for running because I refuse to wear one out of the house. I hate how it looks on my thin hair.

BlazingHeart
June 11th, 2012, 11:50 PM
My current go-to super-stable style is to do 2 braids placed right behind the ear (you'd probably want to go with french), then cross them at the back of my head, kind of roll them up along the opposite braid, and use a flexi to secure the ends, either pointing up or pointing down into kind of a heart shape, depending on how tightly I did the cross and thus how much hair is left over. If you added a pin on each side, securing the braid where it's alongside the base of your opposite braid, it'd be even more secure.

I hope that made sense...I'm not entirely sure how to describe this! It's something I made up on my own because I was having trouble securing buns.

~Blaze

Kristin
June 12th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Since starting this thread several months ago, I've had lots of time to try various styles. I run a few times a week, so I try not to repeat styles more than twice per week. A lot of the time I end up with a French or Dutch braid twisted into a bun and held by 4-6 Spin Pins. Occasionally I do twin French or Dutch braids, but I find that they bounce and/or catch on things (like bra straps) when I run. Crown braids are okay, but I tend to snap hairs while creating crown braids, so I don't do those very frequently. Braided buns are definitely my go-to cardio style now.

ohmygackt
June 12th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I would suggest Loepsie's interlace braids. Its really easy and it stays up. I tried it on my mom, who has shoulder length hair, and myself who has waist length layered hair, and i works really well for both!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M

:D

eros
September 30th, 2012, 04:06 AM
I don't know how to wear my hair during exercise. Sometimes I just do sports, sometimes just fitness like running. I see most people at the gym just wear their hair in a ponytail. A ponytail usually slips off my hair unless I wear it very tightly. I don't know what else to do? just keep it down? My hair is apl-bsl ish, so I don't know if braiding will help much...the band still slips off.:(

Natalia
September 30th, 2012, 04:12 AM
I don't know how to wear my hair during exercise. Sometimes I just do sports, sometimes just fitness like running. I see most people at the gym just wear their hair in a ponytail. A ponytail usually slips off my hair unless I wear it very tightly. I don't know what else to do? just keep it down? My hair is apl-bsl ish, so I don't know if braiding will help much...the band still slips off.:(

Can you do a nautilus yet? If not maybe do a double bun or a half wrapped bun (do a half up bun and twist and pin your hair around the bun)?

Lize
September 30th, 2012, 04:15 AM
A few threads on this subject. If you do a search you'll find even more. HTH. :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=88155

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=63106

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=76489

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75898

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16048

eros
September 30th, 2012, 04:16 AM
Oh dear..nautilus? double bun? half wrapped?:o:o
I'll check it out, thanks :)
Either way I think my hair is still too short for that. It's JUST below apl.
*sigh* so tempting to just do a ponytail!

eros
September 30th, 2012, 04:18 AM
A few threads on this subject. If you do a search you'll find even more. HTH. :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=88155

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=63106

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=76489

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75898

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16048
Ooh, may I ask how you found those threads? Whenever I use the search function, I get loads of (unrelated) threads and I don't know which to click!

Lize
September 30th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Ooh, may I ask how you found those threads? Whenever I use the search function, I get loads of (unrelated) threads and I don't know which to click!

Go to "Advanced search" and then choose "Search titles only" instead of "Search entire posts". That should give you the results closer to what you are looking for.

melusine963
September 30th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Thank you for these links, Lize, I've been seearching for a solution to this problem myself.

shutterpillar
September 30th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Another way is to search through Google (or whatever search engine you use - I like Google, though.)
Example of what to write in search bar:

LHC (or Long Hair Community) hair styles for exercise
LHC updos for exercise
LHC how to wear hair during exercise

Or whatever topic you have in mind. That usually works a bit better for me than the search feature. :) For some reason I can never get that to work, even if I do it the way Lize explained above. No idea why. :shrug: Just not lucky with the search feature, I suppose.

mamaherrera
January 17th, 2013, 11:46 AM
For all of you who do ponytails, with braids, ponytail then bun, braids, etc. if you all don't believe in no=ouchy elastic bands, what do you all use to keep those ponys secure?? Also, even when I do a ponytail with braid, I don't like the movement, when running the bouncing, I feel like that bouncing is going to rip lots of my hairs into two pieces. I'm trying to find the perfect style since I usually run and then do floor work where I'm laying down, so that it works for both. BUns. .. never they come right out.

chloeishere
January 17th, 2013, 07:22 PM
I use a quattro fork (a basic one) to hold my hair during exercise. I think I've answered this question before, but since it's come up again... I also will use any acrylic hair stick. If it's a type of exercise where I'll be laying on my back on the floor, I'll bun on top of my head-- not very flattering, but I'm exercising, so who cares-- it immobilizes well.

When my hair was too short for a bun, I'd do ponytails, pigtails, or braid(s). They don't work now because I hate the feel of my hair bouncing and flopping around, and getting stuck to sweaty areas.

ysabet
February 26th, 2013, 04:28 AM
So hair elastics give me serious breakage, it seems, and because I work out I now need a new way to put up my hair while exercising at the gym. It needs to stay put, be out of the way or at least comfortable when I'm lying on the ground.

Any ideas? Sorry if this has been asked before, but searching on the wider 'net just turns up various fashionable athletic 'looks'.

CJCHair-stylist
February 26th, 2013, 04:36 AM
How about putting your hair in a bun - you could use a sock to create a sock bun or purchase a bun ring - you would have to tie it on top of your head. Its super neat and stylish at the same time, plus it keeps all your hair out of the way.

You could also tie your hair in two braids and fasten them round at the back or the top of your head with bobby pins - it ends up looking like a half crown braid.

Of course a crown braid is super comfortable for gyming. French braids with the end tucked under works too.

Lippytoes
February 26th, 2013, 06:31 AM
For dance training (including when we do abs and stuff lying on our backs) I especially like these styles:
- a low-ish, flat-as-possible braided bun (held with small claw clips or spin pins)
- a crown braid / two Dutch braids wrapped around my head
- just a simple English, French or Dutch braid (with a long tail, so it's less of a missile - if I braid all the way to the ends, the braid ends up thwacking my dance partner in the face)

Jenny31557
February 26th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Have you seen CinnamonHair's video
Stay in, no fail, won't fall out bun ?
I'll try to link it ( I'm new )
Even just copy and paste or search on youtube if it doesn't work.http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6vRgZuXse5o

katiebeans
February 26th, 2013, 07:29 AM
The only elastic free option that has ever worked for me at the gym was a french braid secured with a ribbon. However I am not too expieranced with updos :p

ysabet
February 26th, 2013, 07:39 AM
I've mostly done a ponytail with plait most of my life - exploring less damaging hairstyles is all new! Learning how to french braid is definitely a priority ...

PrincessIdril
February 26th, 2013, 08:06 AM
How I style my hair for excerise largely depends on what I'm doing.

For fencing I always put my hair in a braid (just a simple English one, I can't French braid for the life of me) as it needs to fit under my mask/under my jacket. When I'm running I find that a sock bun is the most comfortable option.

Naiadryade
February 26th, 2013, 10:01 AM
When I'm doing hot, active things, I almost always put my hair in 2 braids. Keeps it off my neck and ears, and since my hair is only BSL they don't get in the way. I secure them with scrunchies, which aren't as damaging as elastics. You could also try spin pins for buns--non-damaging and hold very well. if you don't want it on the back of your head for when you're lying down, try two on either side of your head, or a high bun near the top of your head.

Mya
February 26th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Crown braid, definitely.

I need hair to stay put even when I jump and do other athletic things. Other styles or braids didn't last long or came in the way.

If you find it difficult to do a crown braid, you can do a normal braid, then use some hairpins and pin it on your head like it was a crown braid or a spiral braid. This way you distribute the weight of your hair like a crown braid does, so it doesn't bounce (causing the hairstyle to destroy itself), doesn't make bumps (that could be annoying when lying on the ground), doesn't overstress a point of your scalp.

kaydana
February 26th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Loepsie's interlaced braids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M) are the best hairstyle I've ever found for exercise. Super secure, comfortable to lie on, and the weight is nicely distributed. And it's much quicker and easier than a crown braid.

jacqueline101
February 26th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Bun or crown braid.

Naiadryade
February 26th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Loepsie's interlaced braids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M) are the best hairstyle I've ever found for exercise. Super secure, comfortable to lie on, and the weight is nicely distributed. And it's much quicker and easier than a crown braid.

:agape: That is SO beautifiul and SO simple!! It's completely contained, flat on the head and out of the way... I bet it would be really comfortable under a winter hat, which is something I have a need for. And yet, it still manages to look elfish and graceful-feisty. I'm in love, I have to do this! Thank you! :crush:

browneyedsusan
February 26th, 2013, 01:42 PM
DD (16) plays lacrosse in a hawser braid. She puts it high up, near the top of her head, (no helmet). The ends all stay in the thing, and it eats up some length. It still uses elastics, so might not be a good solution for you, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U3oHm8I-gs

honeybunnie8
June 29th, 2013, 03:15 PM
I am curious what everyone does with their hair for exercising.

Right now I just do a side braid but i can imagine it being annoying if you are bouncing around a lot. What do you do to keep it out of the way that doesn't cause to much damage?

Alexblue
June 29th, 2013, 03:27 PM
For me a french braid but the tie is quite high up, just below my shoulders. If I have have the elastic right at the bottom it bounces around too much and annoys me :-)

Hair sticks and claw clips do not stay put for me, but a top knot with a scrunchie also works.

ladylowtide
June 29th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Top of the head bun squished into a very large no slip jaw clip. Everything else flies out. I mean sometimes I will do a ponytail but not when doing situps, or inverted stuff.

leslissocool
June 29th, 2013, 03:35 PM
English braid is THE ONLY thing that stays in when I do Insanity, crown braids are a good option and crown twists if your hair is long enough.

millyaulait
June 29th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Topknot held with a fork or stick.

It's solid, nothing hanging down to annoy me, ALL hair away from face and neck. It's perfect! :)

jacqueline101
June 29th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Pony tail.

Fairlight63
June 29th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Nautilus Bun held with a Ficcare. It does not go anywhere.

DancingQueen
June 29th, 2013, 04:54 PM
I have to go with a ponytail. If it is cardio, and not much is done on the floor, I have to wear a high ponytail. It keeps the hair in place, and it holds perfectly. I gues a french braid would be my next choice, but I don't think it would hold very long...

seaj
June 29th, 2013, 05:54 PM
French braid for me, but I think the ultimate exercise hairstyle is a senco/spiral braid. There's nothing loose, it's flat, secure, and the weight of the hair is distributed evenly. The only downside is that it's hard to do on yourself.

TheMechaGinger
June 29th, 2013, 06:02 PM
When my hair was <bsl I would pull it into a folded pony tail thing, ya know on the last pull through with the elastic you only pull it half way? I never learned what that was called. It kept it up and off my neck and was fast. But now that I'm around waist the tail is too long and it sticks to me, so I do a high cinnibun with a big strong claw clip or french pigtails

labailaora
June 29th, 2013, 06:32 PM
A sleek, high(ish) bun held with four spin pins (occasionally an elastic if there's any loose bits, just for looks) - I use it for my various dance classes as well as swimming and cross-training in the gym, and it stays rock-solid. It's my preferred updo because it can usually get away without being washed every day.

If I'm going to be doing something that requires a lot of laying on my back on the floor (yoga/Pilates/core exercises), then I tend to go for an English braid (usually in a ponytail) or side-braid, which has the disadvantage of getting my hair gross and sweaty. I haven't yet found a better solution, sadly, so I'll be keeping an eye out for other people's tricks!

Shoga
June 29th, 2013, 11:46 PM
I just do a top knot thing, a bun right on top of my head. I'm not even sure what kind of bun it is, just my own failed version of a celtic knot. I hold it in place with either spin pins or a claw clip (looks silly, but I'm only exercising lol). Very high buns are the only thing that works for me because I do a lot of work that requires laying down. Braids get my hair all sweaty at my neck, swing, and rub on my clothes/grind into the floor more than I'd prefer.

Islandgrrl
June 30th, 2013, 12:02 AM
High bun held with 2 or 3 Ficcares. It's about the only thing that holds it all while I run.
Side braid doubled up and held with hair friendly elastics for yoga.
English braid for cycling...nothing else will fit under the helmet.

kidari
June 30th, 2013, 12:19 AM
a high cinnabun held in place with 2 medium sized claw clips... it looks ugly but works the best for me

Nev
June 30th, 2013, 04:50 AM
I put my hair in a low bun, it's secure and out of the way. I tried ponytails, high buns and braids... but low buns work best for me.

inertia
June 30th, 2013, 05:11 AM
I do a lazy wrap bun on the top of my head. So far it has stayed put, and I find it comfortable and quick. Also it keeps the bulk of my hair away from the sweatiest and hottest parts of my scalp.

LadyCelestina
June 30th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Single braid.Top knot if swimming.When doing sports with lots of jumping and bouncing,an elastic held top knot pulls the roots of my hair.
I never go for a stick-held updo,the sticks fly out of my hair if I shake my head a lot.

Good compromise was 2 braids /2 braids winded up into 2 buns.That's my choice for gigs and concerts.And hey,that's actually a form exercise :D

Phalaenopsis
June 30th, 2013, 06:02 AM
I have to go with a French braid as mentioned in previous posts. It's more secure than a regular English braid and you can still lay your head on the floor without being uncomfortable. You still have the tail of the braid in the way though.

shutterpillar
June 30th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I put mine in a french or english braid, and since my bangs are only chin length and don't quite stay put in the braid, i'll wear a soft headband as well.

Chromis
June 30th, 2013, 08:30 AM
The search function will bring up loads of threads with lots of ideas on workout hairdos....I just responded to another one quite recently I could swear!

I like to wear a log roll with a large Ficcare with most active things like running and weightlifting. If I am going to be doing anything that involves going on my back like yoga or bench pressing I wear a braided nautilus bun with a sturdy stick like a Timberstone Turnings stick. The braided buns are great because then you just take out the hair stick and now you don't have a lump on the back of your head. When you stand up, you can quickly whip it back up again.

Neneka
June 30th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Anything that doesn't touch my neck. All the bins that I can do at this length have been sturdy enough. I have done paranda bun and sock bun and also cheaters easy hair stick bun. Bun roller also stays in place well. Lol, I wish my selection was larger..

peacecat3
June 30th, 2013, 01:48 PM
I ride my bicycle about an hour a day, so my hair has to fit under my helmet. I usually do a simple nape braid, or a segmented ponytail. Sometimes I use my snood, and tuck my hair into that, and just clip it at the temples.

Kyla
June 30th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Either an english braid or a high bun held with about five crimped hair pins.

patienceneeded
June 30th, 2013, 08:59 PM
I have found success recently with a Lazy Wrap Bun held with a Jeterfork. It has held through a 3-mile jog, a 6-mile hike, camping, etc.

Aliped
June 30th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Topknot held with a fork or stick.

It's solid, nothing hanging down to annoy me, ALL hair away from face and neck. It's perfect! :)
Agreed! Perfect for me too :)

BlueMuse
June 30th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Nautilus or lazy wrap for days when I'm biking, lifting and doing pilates and a combination braided nautilus (which turns into a braided ponytail during run time) for the days I'm doing pilates and my 5k runs.

lunalocks
July 1st, 2013, 05:48 AM
Lately it has been a high bun (topknot) held with a fork. For biking, I wear a low infinity held with spin pins. It misses the helmut.

Hiriel
July 1st, 2013, 06:57 AM
Nautilus bun with a ketylo. Does. Not. Move.
If a bun will be in the way (bench press or other stuff requiring me to lie on my back, for example), I do one or two English braids, but I prefer the bun, because it keeps the hair away from the worst sweat, and keeps me safe from flailing braids :)

My hair is between TBL and classic (43ish inches maybe? Haven't measured in a long while) and quite thick (iii, but only just)

Lippytoes
July 1st, 2013, 12:00 PM
For dance class I like

- a braided bun held with small claw clips (not pretty, but very sturdy)
- crown braid/coronet braid (AWESOME - stays put, allows for stuff on the floor as well as bouncing)
- interlaced braids (ditto)

A single braid will do in a pinch, but my hair's long enough that a braid will smack my dance partners even if it's tied off quite high.

Vrindi
July 1st, 2013, 12:30 PM
I have many styles. My favorites are a ballerina bun. Or a single English braid, a French braid, French braid pigtails tied together at the ends. I like this style for running. It creates a cool space on my neck, and tying the pigtails together at the ends keeps them from flopping around too much. Also, I can wind my ear buds around the braids to keep them in place. When I'm climbing, I like buns or battle braids that take up the length, so I don't grab my hair or dip the ends in my chalk bag when I chalk up. For the buns, I will do anything that is secure, from a cinnabun to a braided bun, but I secure them with spin pins, not forks or sticks. Forks or sticks would be kind of dangerous for the stuff I do, and my fine hair will spit them out of even the most secure updo when I'm really active. Pony tails are just asking for a mess of tangles for me, and hair sticking everywhere.

trolleypup
July 1st, 2013, 09:34 PM
Pony scrub. Which, being cotton, also sucks the sweat away from my scalp rather than letting it drip down my face.

riceball
July 2nd, 2013, 12:19 AM
Dutch or French braid if I'm jumping around a lot or getting down on the floor and back up. I have barely WL hair. It stays just fine. If I'm out running I just put it in a pony tail with a banana clip. I hate using elastics for ponytails because random hairs get pulled.

It has to be a quick hairstyle for me. I don't want to be using half my workout time just to put my hair up.

artemishunt
July 2nd, 2013, 01:48 AM
French braid with a ribbon so you can secure the ends without using an elastic. Also a cloth headband to keep bangs out of the way

patienceneeded
July 2nd, 2013, 01:48 AM
Pony scrub. Which, being cotton, also sucks the sweat away from my scalp rather than letting it drip down my face.

I'm probably asking a really dumb question, but here I go anyway.

What on earth is a Pony Scrub?

Thanks!

PrincessBob
July 2nd, 2013, 03:18 AM
I've seen DaveDecker's ponyscrub. Think of it like a cotton bandana skullcap with a bun cover at the back. You slip it on your head, then role and tuck your ponytail into the pouch and tie it in place (or something like that).

sunshine-locks
July 2nd, 2013, 03:27 AM
I usually go for a messy bun with a headband, putting my fringe back with it :)

Neneka
July 2nd, 2013, 03:44 AM
I normally wear things that wont fall off if I exercise so I rarely have to change it if I go jogging. If I have to change it I just do a ponytail.