PDA

View Full Version : Working out/Exercise... what to do with my hair?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

jera
December 31st, 2009, 02:13 AM
I work out daily with my hair in a loose pony. I always wash whether CO or SLS free poo. My scalp would be too stinky and sweaty if I didn't. It hasn't hurt my hair any to do this. :)

Hiriel
December 31st, 2009, 05:02 AM
I normally braid my hair for exercise, I don't trust my buns to stay in while jumping around. If I get sweat in my hair, I just rinse it out with water. Works fine for me :)

Stormsong
December 31st, 2009, 05:33 AM
I still use a hair dryer on my hair, just these days, instead of having it on as hot and fast as possible and using until my hair was as dry as a bone, I use it on a lower setting and lower speed, and I only dry it until it's damp, rather than sopping wet. My hair will hold a lot of water and can take a good 5 hours to dry when down, never mind in a wet bun/roll, which is why I have to use the hair dryer to speed up the process. My main rule of thumb these days is that if it's too hot to hold my hand in front of, then it's too hot for my hair.

CrisDee
December 31st, 2009, 07:18 AM
Before my big chop, I always put my BSL hair in a high pony tail to run - probably not the best thing for my hair, but just HAD to have it off me, would have driven me nuts.

spidermom
December 31st, 2009, 09:49 AM
I've been doing a french or dutch braid down the back for exercising, and I sweat so much that my hair is always wet afterwards. I wash it about twice per week and rinse it and apply conditioner the other times. I tell you - I am getting so tired of dealing with wet hair that I find myself skipping workouts.

I've tried a high bun, but it slips and pulls, plus it still gets wet from sweating. I sweat like a horse; no joke.

myrrhmaiden
December 31st, 2009, 10:13 AM
I'm having this exact same dilemma and I still haven't found a solution I like. I do a headband and a firm but gentle pony to keep it in check while exercising. I also don't want to wash my hair every day but really feel like I need to after sweating. Being winter, I am worried about the prospect of it freezing as well. The hairdryers at my gym don't have a cool setting, so no way. So far, doing c/o washes, oiling with my travel-size shea butter, and wearing a hat that covers all my damp hair until I get home is the best I've come up with.

Kristin
December 31st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! The hair style ideas are great and I have tried some of them previously (my favorite is to heavily oil my hair and then braid for a workout).

Still concerned about getting my hair wet so frequently. We keep our house relatively chilly and I will be tempted to blow fry if I CO or WO almost every day (and even if I only blow fry once or twice a week, that will be more than I am doing now). :(

Anyone tried dry shampoos?

YourEggcellency
January 10th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I both run (on a treadmill & on the elliptical) & lift weights, & I have had trouble finding the best way to hold my hair back comfortably & securely. When my hair was around BSL, I could just twist it up into a tight bun with an elastic (& I don't want to use those too much anymore since learning about possibly hair damage), but since it's gotten longer, my fine hair flops out very quickly.

Braids are alright, but leave way too much loose hair around my face & neck, & I don't particularly enjoy the flopping/swaying on my back, plus, individual hair can get caught on the bench during lifting. I've tried a Ficcare, but my hair is too slippery (during normal wear is fine, just during exercise it's much easier to fall out...maybe I need two?), & I definitely don't want to take pretty hair toys, like sticks and forks, to the gym.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be MOST appreciated. I have fine hair, am growing out layers, & am about 28" long--not the most ideal hair type, haha. :p I need to be able to lie down on a bench as well as jog comfortably. Thanks so much!

Magdalene
January 10th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Scrunchie bun. For gymastics I do two, one under each ear.

yellowchariot
January 10th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I always see a long dark haired woman come in for physcial therapy, and she wears a french braid from the top of her head all of the way down to mid-back and from what I can tell, it stays secure the entire hour that she is there. Also I see a few women wearing banded ponytails beginning at the top of the head, while on the treadmill/elliptical. One of the therapists assistance their, who has blond hair past BSL, sometimes wears a low ponytail to one side of her shoulder and lets the hair relax down in front of her. Just a thought. Hope this helps! Peace out!

YourEggcellency
January 10th, 2010, 06:48 PM
& how does one make a scrunchie bun? I'm not super-familiar with most hairstyles, but I looked it up in the Hair Style Dictionary & didn't find it. Are they secured with scrunchies?

windinherhair
January 10th, 2010, 07:00 PM
My favorite way to wear my hair when exercising is a "wrap bun." I twist my hair up and clip it. Then divide the hair in half and continue to wrap around the clip until I run out of hair. I secure with hair pins if I need to. This is very secure for me. I love my wooden hair sticks and forks, but they won't hold up as well when I am exercising.

Here is a video for it:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DieSushi.../0/GWBwIsYyY6U (http://www.youtube.com/user/DieSushiBitch#p/a/u/0/GWBwIsYyY6U)

YourEggcellency
January 10th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Maybe I need two different hairstyles, one for weightlifting & one for cardio. The buns work alright for cardio, but I need something flatter for weightlifting because I have to lie down on a bench to do some exercises, & I can't have any clips poking me or possibly breaking. The two scrunchie buns could work, but I'd need to get scrunchies & figure out whether those are special buns or just general buns.

YellowChariot: do any of these women lift weights while they are there, like the one with the french braid?

yellowchariot
January 10th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Maybe I need two different hairstyles, one for weightlifting & one for cardio. The buns work alright for cardio, but I need something flatter for weightlifting because I have to lie down on a bench to do some exercises, & I can't have any clips poking me or possibly breaking. The two scrunchie buns could work, but I'd need to get scrunchies & figure out whether those are special buns or just general buns.

YellowChariot: do any of these women lift weights while they are there, like the one with the french braid?

The physical therapist uses a resistance training program to help her regain strength. So yes, just not heavy weights, but there is lifting evolved with some of the machines designed specifically for the patients there. She also rides a stationary bike. Her hair stays secure, and I've noticed that she or whoever braids her hair does it with small sections (which I find to be the most secure).

Also the rest of the women do in fact lift weights and jog on the treadmill and use the cycles.

I normally wear a mid-low ponytail, though not as secure as other style.

myotislucifugus
January 11th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Mmm. I look like an idiot with a bun on top of my head when I lift weights. I put conditioner in it, then cover with a bandanna. I look like a conehead, but there's no flopping on the elliptical and no breaking stuff when I lie down. Now, yoga, that's another mess. Still working on a decent hairstyle for that.

rags
January 11th, 2010, 01:01 PM
For cardio, I wear a bun. For weights, I've not found anything better than either a French braid or two braids (that way there's nothing behind you.) Double Dutch braids work very well for me. (even if I do look like an idiot as my hair is so very thin!)

enfys
January 11th, 2010, 01:15 PM
If you have loose hair around your face, maybe an alice band or stretchy headband would help? And maybe a French braid with the length tucked up inside would help with the flopping against your back?

I usually go for a ponytail, then plait the length (but I'm not bothered by elastics), or I just turn the ponytail into a bun and hold with an elastic. Exactly not what you were wanting to do but it works for me.

Rivanariko
January 11th, 2010, 02:19 PM
A french braid usually keeps my hair out of my face, or if I want it to be really secure, I'll do two french braids, placing them farther to the sides so that they catch all of those little wispy bits of hair! My hair has never bothered me bouncing on my back when I'm running, but I've also had it long most of my life. As for weight lifting or working on the floor, I hate it when my braid gets trapped underneath me, so I just pull it to the side and tuck it into the front of my brastrap! I feel a little silly at first, but it keeps it flat on the back of my head and keeps it from getting trapped under my body when doing exercises like sit-ups or crunches. You could probably do that while running too, if the flopping bothers you too much.

MandyBeth
January 11th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I usually just put 4-8 small French braids in my hair for most things. That keeps my short, flyaway hair back, and it's not bulky in any one braid. I prefer 8 with 4 on top, 4 on bottom if that makes ANY sense whatsoever - similar to what Cris Santos usually fights with, but I have a lot fewer (and a lot less hair) - but just 4 straight down works now. But splitting the 8 in half means I can braid the bottom upside down, and catch all the ends in a mess. REALLY short, but as of right now, it's pretty safe from getting caught.

faeflame
January 11th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I used to wear a single braid with a head band to keep my bangs off my face while exercising but the braid got too heavy. Now I make two low braids then wrap them around my head like a coronet and pin with two clips above my ears. No bounce during cardio, out of the way for yoga, and flat enough in back for weights. If your hair isn't long enough to wrap fully around your head maybe a half wrap just behind the nape or just over the top of your head???

Wicked Princess
January 11th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I use an infinity bun whenever I'm hiking/jogging. This is one of the most secure styles I know. :)

RoseRedDead
January 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM
For weightlifting and walking/running, I do a cinnabun secured with claw clips. Holds like a rock - my theory is that the claw clips catch more scalp hair than a stick, which is why it's more secure.

For pilates (lots of lying on back, stomach, and sides) I do a single english braid (usually off to one side). I don't like that it flops around, so I might have to try fake crown braids secured with tiny claw clips.

YourEggcellency
January 11th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Wow, loads of awesome suggestions...I guess I can play around with all of these for a while, haha. I really like the idea of doing two braids & wrapping them around my head, & maybe I should invest in a kerchief to cover my entire head. I do sometimes use wide headbands to pull back my bangs, so it wouldn't be too different from that. Hair bouncing & flopping around really annoys me during workout time, so I'm gonna have to try it tomorrow morning! Thanks for all the awesome suggestions...I think I'll put them in a Word document so I can remember then all, haha.

reishka
January 12th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Lately, I've been rocking a braided bun high up on the head - it seems to stay put when I'm on the treadmill (though, I never quite run - I have bad asthma that gets triggered if I run too much), and it's high enough out of the way when I do weights. It looks a little weird being so high up, but so far it's worked. I'm also only slightly past bsl... don't know what I'm going to have to do when it gets longer.

TheCatSaidQuack
January 12th, 2010, 01:11 PM
any time of bun, and if your hair is layered like mine, a cloth headband to keep it pulled back. yes, it looks horrible. but it keeps the sweat out of your hair and the hair out of your face. besides, you aren't suppose to look hott while working out, so it just fits the theme!

Aquamarine
January 12th, 2010, 01:16 PM
My favorite way to wear my hair when exercising is a "wrap bun." I twist my hair up and clip it. Then divide the hair in half and continue to wrap around the clip until I run out of hair. I secure with hair pins if I need to. This is very secure for me. I love my wooden hair sticks and forks, but they won't hold up as well when I am exercising.

Here is a video for it:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DieSushi.../0/GWBwIsYyY6U (http://www.youtube.com/user/DieSushiBitch#p/a/u/0/GWBwIsYyY6U)
Thanks for the link..that's a great bun:)

Stormy1
January 12th, 2010, 01:42 PM
scrunchies are a workout girl's best friend!

JamieLeigh
January 13th, 2010, 11:54 AM
I do a braided bun, from a ponytail, held in place from underneath by a large clip. I got it at Walmart, it's the Vidal Sassoon "karma" clip. It's not super-ideal for the times when you have to lay on your back and keep your head flat to the ground or bench....but if you're running and moving on your feet a lot, it will not move a millimeter!! :D
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2615&pictureid=45958

feb26
January 13th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I guess what matters is whether you have layers or not, and how well your hair stays in a braid. I use buns for work :have sticks for dressy nites, claws for daytime use and I NEVER use an elastic to hold my hair in a bun..it wrecks the elastic after just one use! My hair's layered so it falls out of a braid...I use a pony for yoga and my cardo and it works well. Any fringe I just clip back with a baby claw.

VenusHalley
January 14th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I tie it in a bun secured with a scrunchie and if I plan to do more jumping and moving (like dance-aerobic...) I tie a scarf over it (you need one that holds in place and does not slip though). It may not look the best, but it works for me.

Pear Martini
February 1st, 2010, 06:58 PM
I try to run or go to the gym at least three times a week. I find that my hair gets gross a lot quicker now that I am working out.

How often do you wash your hair? Do you wash after you go to the gym?

Also...

How do you style your hair at the gym? I mainly do ponytails but I heard you can get a lot of breakage from them.

Avalin
February 1st, 2010, 07:11 PM
I braid my hair when I run. Just a simple one pulled over my shoulder and secured with a pantie-hose strip. If I just lift weights or am on a bike then I bun it with a stick.

I wash my hair after I sweat a lot. I wish I didn't have to wash it as often but it would be gross if I didn't.

If you are washing your hair after each workout don't wash it other times. You are probably okay washing it up to 4 times a week if you are gentle (dilute shampoo, only on the roots, etc.).

Madame J
February 1st, 2010, 07:15 PM
I rinse or wash my hair after I run. I sweat like a pig, and it's really salty, so I worry about letting it dry in my hair. If I run, then rinse with warm water in the shower as soon as possible after I run, it stays nice. I only wash with shampoo twice a week, and then rinse with water two more times. I run 3 days a week, so one of my washes is actually done on a non-running day, so that my hair can dry completely after it's freshly washed (another way that helps me keep from getting greasy sooner). So Tuesday and Thursday, I run and rinse, Saturday I run and wash, and Wednesday I wash but don't run (don't have time for both before work).

I do my hair in a French braid to run. As it gets longer, and the layers aren't as much of an issue, I'll probably either bun it or shorten the braid, held with a Flexi. I have done 3-4 miles with a Flexi-clipped tucked French braid.

Peter
February 1st, 2010, 07:15 PM
After going for a run, I stick my head under the water for a few seconds in the shower. I find that it washes off the sweat and I don't need to use any shampoo/conditioner.

Elphie
February 1st, 2010, 07:16 PM
In the winter, I can get away with every other day washings, as long as I wash my bangs. Half the time I CO and the other half of the time I use shampoo. It helps.

I'm a bit lazy, so a looped pony tail (pulled through twice and left in a loop on the third time) keeps it securely out of my way. Plenty of times it's already in a bun so there isn't any need to secure it.

RoseRedDead
February 1st, 2010, 07:33 PM
I wash about 3x a week, which corresponds with my running schedule (I CO). I sweat a lot when I run (but it's not terribly salty so far as I know), and this just works for me... Should I start running more often (read: daily), I'll have to figure something out.

I do a cinnabun held with jawclips when I run. This works really well for me, holds like a rock, and I don't have a stick to worry about falling out or anything. My theory is that the jaw clips catch more scalp hair, thus making it more secure, which for running I need. I don't like a ponytail swinging around and brushing against my back and arms, ugh. I don't like braids for the same reason. They're very distracting.

Quixii
February 1st, 2010, 08:05 PM
I wash my hair after every work out, because both I and my hair get pretty gross enough that I'll feel gross all over if I don't.
For work out I do braided buns, mostly.

YourEggcellency
February 1st, 2010, 08:05 PM
I go almost every day, for both running (on the elliptical) & lifting weights, & washing my hair every day is just too much for me, both in terms of being hard on my hair & dealing with wet hair for a few hours afterwards (I HATE WET HAIR SO MUCH YYEAAAARRRGHHH!!!). So I wash my hair about every other day (I try to stretch it out more, but the sweat makes my hair so much greasier), & on the days I don't wash my hair, I just put it up in a bun & wash the rest of my body.

As for hairstyles, I made a thread about that a few weeks (months?) ago, & got some awesome replies. Haha, I actually saved them in a Word document, but some of the best ones were: crown braids secured with pins, french braid, infinity bun, cinnabun, & 8 different braids, four on top, four on bottom. They all have their positives & negatives, but after trying them all out, I decided the quickest, most secure, & flattest for my bench press was making a ponytail secured with a metal-free elastic, braiding it into an English braid, bunning that, & then securing it all with a Ficcare. Personally I have found that Ficcares don't jam into my head & they are strong enough to bear the weight of my head while I'm weightlifting.

Good luck finding your best style though--it took me a while. If you're interested in specifics, I can email you the Word document if you send me your email address.

Johanna
February 2nd, 2010, 12:56 AM
I dp a plait at the back of my hair then fold it in half and wrap a ribbon around it. I find it lasts trough my workouts.

Rivanariko
February 2nd, 2010, 02:33 AM
I wash once a week, but I rinse with water after a workout, run, or after spending the day at the barn (which is almost every day). It's been pretty good for keeping my hair nice and fresh, but it's usually a little on the oily side by the end of the week.

For running, I usually do a regular english braid. For riding and work at the barn, I do a french braid because it's more important to me that it all stays put all day, so I can maintain a more professional appearance. In the summer I'll bun it when I run so it's not on my back at all. Spidermom's bun holds pretty darn well for me even through physical activity.

LittleOrca
February 2nd, 2010, 02:38 AM
Ficcare or hair fork when I work out.

I will shower after a workout but not always do I wash my hair. If I feel my hair needs it or I sweat a ton, I will wash.

aisling
February 2nd, 2010, 03:07 AM
If my hair isn't very greasy to begin with, I can get away with just rinsing my scalp when it's sweaty. I keep the rest of my hair in a braid and keep that away from the water and just rinse the scalp area well. It's similar to a scalp wash.

Just a braid is out of the question these days when running, it's too long and slaps me here and there :) I usually do a braided bun with a Ficcare for running.

Stacy_E
February 2nd, 2010, 04:52 AM
I exercise every day, and on days I sweat (cardio, rock climbing, or tennis days) I usually wash my hair afterwards (usually CO wash). I figure CO washing is mild enough to do frequently, every day if necessary. But sometimes I figure it's enough to just rinse my hair well with water afterwards, and use a thicker conditioner on my length. Once a week or so I will do a CWC or S&C wash.

How I wear my hair depends on what exercise I'm doing. If it's an upper-body weight workout, where I will need to rest my head against a bench, I'll wear a low braid or a french braid. If I'm going to run or play tennis, I'll wear a high pony tail (braided or loose) or a bun, but I've found only a damp-bun with Good Hair Days pins will hold, most anything else falls out as I run. But I prefer a bun as it's cooler on my neck and back. If my cardio is bicycle machine or step-mill machine, where my head isn't bouncing around as much, any bun securing device (fork, clips or sticks) is okay. When I rock climb, where I wear a helmet, I put my hair in a folded braid secured with a buff (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=68).

Anlbe
February 2nd, 2010, 05:01 AM
I work out its about three or four times a week and whilst I always shower, I only wash my hair once every five-seven days. I find if I let my scalp dry with my hair still up (normally in one or two french braids, or sometimes an upsidown french braid with a bun on top) then comb our it's really fine. Or at least much better than it is if I wash it.

Queen Olympias
February 2nd, 2010, 06:04 AM
I am washing my hair twice a week right now and am really trying to maintain this routine. I exercise heavily every other day or more and since I do not want to shampoo my hair often I do the following:
1) when I can, I let my sweat dry and just rinse with water the following morning before work.
2) when this option does not work, I rinse my scalp with water thoroughly.
3) when I feel that water alone is not going to be sufficient, I give in and reach for the shampoo (just dilute it and I try to use the gentlest shampoo that I can.)

I have dry hair (not oily), so these methods may not work for someone with an oily scalp.
I have noticed that sometimes my hair actually looks and feels better after I let my sweat dry out (and I work out hard, so it is not a small amount of sweat!). That's how dry my hair is!

I am going to invest in getting a sweat band of some sort for the top of my forehead so it can absorb the sweat there. I hope I can offer some help :)

elina333
February 2nd, 2010, 06:19 AM
I go to the gym about 4-5 times a week and my hair gets really gross! But I find rinsing it with water is enough. Sometimes even a dry schampoo is all it takes. I schampoo maybe twice a week.

As far as my hairdo at the gym... I used to wear it in a ponytail or a bun but as my hair is getting longer and heavier, it kind of hurts and single hairs in the front get pulled out (ouch :().

After joining LHC I've started braiding it, which I find much more comfortable plus its less damaging :cheer: I french braid my hair, to really get it out of the way.

Good luck and keep up the good work :pegasus:

thunderlilies
February 2nd, 2010, 08:59 AM
I don't wash my hair any more frequently because of going to the gym.. but that's just me. I usually wear it in a bun with a lot of clips - or one very secure one. I've also worn it in a low braid before, which isn't too bad either - as long as you don't mind it swinging around a lot!

Medievalmaniac
February 2nd, 2010, 12:04 PM
I work out about 4-5 times a week, for up to an hour and a half. One of the workouts is a swim, after which I always CWC w/ clarifying shampoo and super moisturizing conditioner, no fates, because of the chlorine. I usually CWC one more time during the week, for a total of two CWCs, one w/ clarifying and one with moisturizing shampoo.

Since I wear my hair up most of the time, I am not that concerned with oily/greasiness - the buns hide that, it just looks shiny and soft. :) That said, yes, after a heavy workout (5-6 mile run, for example) I'm definitely pretty sweaty. I find if I let my hair dry, then flip it over and scritch my scalp, it distributes the salt evenly which in turn effectively negates most of the oiliness. Then I use a few drops of scented oil (usually Nightblooming's anointing oil, because I like the herbal smell, but sometimes just plain coconut oil) distributed evenly through my hair and there is no bad or sweaty smell left.

I don't think you "need" to rinse or wash your hair after a workout, it all depends on your personal level of comfort. Everyone is different. :)

jennyjukes
February 2nd, 2010, 02:17 PM
i did have a few searches but couldn't really find any satisfactory answers :(
how do most of you wash your hair after working out? i don't have a set-washing routine but i shampoo at the most twice a week otherwise my hair gets really dry and fluffy so i can't afford to wash it too much
unfortunately i would like to exercise (i mean absolutely sweat dripping exercise!:P) roughly 3 times a week
i do co-wash regularly but i'm unsure if this would be enough after working out or would it add to the greasyness? i tried just water only washing but it wasn't enough. also, my hair is quite short (shoulders) at the moment so i can't really do scalp washes anymore

thanks for any replies :)

Magdalene
February 2nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
I wash almost every day because of working out. I'm blonde and it gets icky.

missjessiecakes
February 2nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
Have you tried an SLS free shampoo? Your hair might get poofy because of that ingredient drying out your hair.

Captain Nikki
February 2nd, 2010, 03:21 PM
I have normally dry & fine hair. When i was running daily, i found my hair reacted very well to daily cone free CO washing. Sometimes, before my run, i'd slather some conditioner through my hair, then put a hat on. This worked really well at softening & conditioning my hair.

jennyjukes
February 2nd, 2010, 03:26 PM
Have you tried an SLS free shampoo? Your hair might get poofy because of that ingredient drying out your hair.
nope i haven't, sometimes my hair does get itchy/red from shampoo so i'm thinking of going down the sls-free route. any recommandations for shampoo from anyone? :)

I wash almost every day because of working out. I'm blonde and it gets icky.
unfortunately i'm blonde (naturally) too! :( my hair looks darker when i've co washed so i guess i'd have the same problem with exercise..

I have normally dry & fine hair. When i was running daily, i found my hair reacted very well to daily cone free CO washing. Sometimes, before my run, i'd slather some conditioner through my hair, then put a hat on. This worked really well at softening & conditioning my hair.
so you keep it on while running? my exercise is mainly a little warm up, run then warm down but mainly running. would lightly oiling during it be okay?

thanks guys

edit : woopz didn't mean to say i'm unfortunate for being blonde i'd say i'm lucky :P but i mean the way it looks greasy quicker

*Rose Red*
February 2nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
When it´s a "washing day" (I wash 2-3 times a week) I use shampoo and conditioner. When I worked out on another day, I just do a co-wash to feel me refreshed.

missjessiecakes
February 2nd, 2010, 03:39 PM
nope i haven't, sometimes my hair does get itchy/red from shampoo so i'm thinking of going down the sls-free route. any recommandations for shampoo from anyone? :)
<snip>

I would if it is irritating you to that degree as for recommnedations I do not have any. ;) I use cones and sls Actually I just use whatever is in my shower at the time. Someone else will come along and recommend something I'm sure. Actually here is a link

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34009

shwankie
February 2nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Another blond here, with fine hair. I wash daily after working out, scalp only, and condition from the ears down, then do ears-down jojoba or coconut oil. I have to wash the scalp or it's just disgusting (I kickbox, spin, etc.; so, my workouts are usually pretty intense and sweaty). Having an adrenal condition just makes it worse if I don't wash it.

jera
February 2nd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Hi jenny. :) I workout daily too and wash daily as a result. I use CO only. On shampoo days I like Ojon Ultra hydrating shampoo which is super hydrating and very gentle with palm nut oil. ;)

Sabayon
February 2nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
Have you tried water only washing? I find after working out I really only need to rinse out the sweat and water alone does a good job of this.

Messyhair
February 13th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Hi all! I'm curious as to what updos/styles you do when exercising. I always find that my standard bun falls out while I'm doing aerobics or kickboxing - anything that involves much movement. I'm looking for ideas on securing my hair while exercising.

morguebabe
February 13th, 2010, 04:52 PM
If I'm doing cardio like kick boxing, I make a high pony tail and braid that and secure my bangs with clips.
If I'm doing yoga, pilates, or using the weight machines I make a high briaded bee butt, or braided messy bun secured pretty well, because I need the back of my head free to put on a matt or put against a machine.

tinker bug
February 13th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I find that a high rope baid works best for me. I used to use just a regular old braid high on my head, but it sags and I get frustrated feeling a big ole lump on the back of my neck, lol. Rope braids dont sag as much for me and stay put better. Also, cutting up a pair of old nylons works great for securing pony tails and braids, even for excersize.

pepperminttea
February 13th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I typically use a braided bun for anything strenuous, I find it's the most secure style and there's no tangles to battle through afterwards which is always nice. For shoulder length though, a French or Dutch braid (or two if you fancy pigtails) would work well. :)

Das Siechtum
February 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I always do a high english 3 strand braid for Judo sessions. Works best for me.

rags
February 13th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I tend to do either an English braid low on the nape (for weights and anything that will put my head back) or a Dutch braid (my hair is so thin that the bump of the braid isn't much for me). Sometimes I can get by with a cinnamon bun when I'm doing cardio, especially if I secure it with a Ficcare.

chotee
February 13th, 2010, 06:55 PM
buns fall for me too so i always end up with english braid :)

NebraskaChick84
February 13th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I do english braid also!

tralalalara
February 13th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I usually dutch braid mine so my bangs are pulled back as well. Two dutchies should work for even shorter bits that stick out, and you can still lay your head back on the floor if needed.

If you want it to not swing around, you could try lacing the braids around your head. I've not tried it, but I hear it's very comfortable for day wear and very secure.

Twil
February 13th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Usually a tight french braid for things like my belly dancing class, or kickboxing and cardio, but if I have to be on my back (weight lifting ect) I do Princess L. buns (not to that level though my hair's not long enough!)

GoddesJourney
February 13th, 2010, 08:02 PM
My method was to always do an English braid at the nape and tuck it into my sports bra in that little space by your collarbone. However, in the last few days I finally tried those U pins (made from bent knitting needles) that a lot of people have talked about in the past. My hair is barely long enough to put into a bun and fairly thick and heavy. Four U pins held my hair in a bun for an hour and a half of martial arts, which includes the impact from kicking pads and things.

Kaileida
February 13th, 2010, 09:55 PM
My hair's just a bit longer than yours; I call my updo a ballet bun but I don't think it actually is hahaha. Basically I pull it up mid to high on my head, twist it counterclockwise, wrap it around and under, then pull the bun up and wrap and elastic around it twice. It stays on really well! I don't do a lot of aerobics but I do theater tech and have to have my hair out of the way.

CaityBear
February 13th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I wear buns, but if my bun isn't tight enough it falls out. I think I did a braided bun most of the volleyball season last year but this year it would've taken too long since my hair is so much longer so I would put my hair into a high ponytail with a scrunchie then make a really snug bun around the scrunchie and that usually held it pretty good. If it fell out, it was twisted a bit wrong and I just redid it.

cottage46
February 14th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I usually do 2 English braids for yoga so nothing is poking the back of my head. For hiking, walking, x-country skiing I do one English braid or a scrunchy bun. I used to be all about the pony tail until I realized how much breakage it was causing.

seethruugirl
February 14th, 2010, 10:04 AM
My jazzercise instructor always laughs at me because I pile all of my hair up real high on my head in a messy bun...she said I look like a geisha. I can't stand for my hair to be on my neck when I am exercising...it makes me more hot. I've tried pigtails but, my hair gets caught in my armpits and it pulls. Still haven't found the perfect solution. Good luck!

sarahramen
February 16th, 2010, 07:12 PM
well, i always have my hair up and pushed back with thick headband, then put in a braid, well secured bun or ponytail half pulled through if you know what i mean

Longlocks3
February 16th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I just got back into 'serious' workouts. I tried just braiding but my braid is hip length, so it ends up everywhere!

I found out I can bun my braid with my large flexi8 tightly and it works great! Withstands intensive cardio! Good excuse to buy more?

elina333
February 17th, 2010, 03:58 AM
I used to wear my hair in a ponytail but LHC made me realize its not very good... :D So I now do a french braid. Gets the hair out of my face, stays in place and its relatively gentle on the hair.

Lorien
February 17th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I love this thread :)

I nearly cut all my hair off for this same reason. I get very active in the summer and hate it slapping on my back when I'm sweaty, as well as having to wash it so frequently. It was actually not wanting to wash my hair (it would dry out) what would discourage me from doing a workout, which is really silly!

I have to check out those buffs and ficcares :)

missmandy
March 8th, 2010, 05:16 PM
People all over (even non long hairs) always seem to be going on about how washing your hair every day is not good for it. And I know that! I WISH I could wash my hair every three days. But I feel like I have to wash it every day since I work out every day. I get sweaty, of course, and I feel like it's gross to not wash my hair. But since I do wash it every day, I feel like my hair is really dry and tangly and split because of it.

Does anyone else have this problem? I don't want to stop working out simply because my hair may suffer a bit. Do you think I really have to wash it every day when I exercise every day? Will it be greasy and gross if I don't? I'm thinking it will be.

Any thoughts? thanks :)

Felix_D
March 8th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I work out in the morning, before work. Get home, shower and CO to wash (sulfate-free shampoo it about once a week) and go to work.

I find CO to be enough. Sweat is water soluble (it's mostly salt), so I don't see why shampoo is necessary.

redwoman
March 8th, 2010, 05:24 PM
As the other poster said, CO or a simple rinse to get the sweat out. Or if you must shampoo use a gentle one diluted. Hope that helps.

Carolyn
March 8th, 2010, 05:40 PM
If I worked out every day, I'd CO every day that I was going to go somewhere. I wouldn't have a problem with sweaty hair in a braid or bun if I was just going to be home. Right now I exercise 2-3 times a week and CO wash after exercising. I don't think you need shampoo to get rid of sweat.

spidermom
March 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I shampoo with diluted shampoo twice a week. Other days that I work out, I rinse with water and apply conditioner. Sometimes I leave it braided but hold the end of my braid out of the way and merely rinse my scalp. Every once in awhile, I even allow the sweat to dry in my hair. As long as I don't do this 2 days in a row, it works out fine; no stench.

Brat
March 8th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Why not just rinse it? No need to shampoo, sweat isn't grease...

elliebean184
March 8th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I often deep condition while working out- pop a hat over my coconut-oil covered hair. The extra heat really helps the DC. Then washing it isn't so bad.
But if not doing a DC, I usually CO wash, sometimes adding a touch of shampoo to the CO (1:2 or 1:3) if I feel really gross.

AJoifulNoise
March 8th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I do my normal routine after I exercise. So, Monday and Friday I shampoo and condition. Tuesday-Thursday I CO. I don't exercise on the weekends so I may or may not wash my hair (or even shower, if I don't leave the house).

MsBubbles
March 8th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Good topic! My scalp has its own strange little grease schedule, and whether I work out every day or not doesn't seem to affect it. I wear a cycling helmet too, so that doesn't help the 'clean hair' effect. But it doesn't make my hair any greasier than it would otherwise be.

The longest I got my washes to stretch before my head looks margarine-slathered, is 48 hours. So I stick to 48 hour washes if I am, or am not working out every day.

I think if my hair got really greasy after each workout I would wash it (or scalp-wash it) every time. Perhaps a braided scalp sink-dunk afterwards might help, and you wouldn't have to tear a comb through your wet ends every day. Not sure if that makes sense.

Rivanariko
March 8th, 2010, 10:31 PM
I work outside with horses, and during the summer, I get pretty darn sweaty whether I actually "work out" or not (which I usually do). I only "wash" my hair once a week, but I usually rinse every day during the summer. In the winter I can stretch it a little more because I don't get as sweaty. Either way, I still feel pretty refreshed using just water when I get out of the shower. I wash my body with soap, rinse my hair with water, give my scalp a good scrub, and I'm done. Works fine for me :)

Ash
March 8th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I shower daily when I wake up. This is a CWC Mon and Fri and CO all the other days. I finish exercising a couple of hours before going to bed. Sometimes I will shower after exercise but I do not wash my hair at that time.

I have never found daily washing to be damaging to my hair, quite the opposite. If I do not wash daily, I end up with crispy dry hair that I cannot get a comb through and zits on my scalp. I do not know what methods you use to wash your hair but perhaps you could try sulfate free shampoo or CO since they are not as harsh as regular shampoo?

GoddesJourney
March 9th, 2010, 01:33 AM
I try to CO every day. It doesn't kill me (anymore) if I miss a day, for example, if I don't do anything active. However, COing doesn't seem to hurt my hair so every day is fine.

jera
March 9th, 2010, 02:31 AM
I workout daily and CO wash daily because I'd get icky buildup on my scalp if I didn't. When my ends get too dry I lightly oil them. So far so good. I'd never want to give up working out, but I don't want to cut my hair anymore either. It's a challenging balance. :)

pdy2kn6
March 22nd, 2010, 12:46 AM
I am sorry if theres another thread on this, I couldn't find it if there was. I saw there is one which asks what to do with your hair while at the gym, but what about when running? I tried bunning yesterday but I ended up having to 'fix' it 3 times throughout my run because it kept getting loose. How do you run with your hair? Any specific buns?

Dars
March 22nd, 2010, 01:07 AM
I pull it into a high ponytail and don't pull the hair out at the last loop, so a fair amount of hair is sticking down. And I bobby pin bits I know will come loose and annoy me later.

Duchess of Erat
March 22nd, 2010, 01:22 AM
Now I'd put it in a low english braid (on the rare occasion that I go running at all). I used to put it in a high/mid ponytail and braid that... but that swings around more (it started hitting me in the face :) ).

Phalaenopsis
March 22nd, 2010, 01:50 AM
A low French braid is fast and easy. A low English braid does the trick as well, but gets a bit more loose when running.

Renbirde
March 22nd, 2010, 02:20 AM
I've go the same problem! :D I think I shall keep an eye on this thread...

Hanging braids don't work well for me-- they thump against my back and annoy me. I've tried tucking the end under a bra strap or into the top pf my shirt... not comfortable, and it gets sweaty and itches!

As far as buns go, some stay better than others. Cinnabuns come out ridiculously fast, but I did do a few miles of fartlek the other day with a bun that stayed... it think it was a Lazy Wrap.

Quixii
March 22nd, 2010, 03:46 AM
Usually a braid, though as has been mentioned, the thumping against my back can annoy me. I've found the awkward weight on the back of my head annoys me more, though, so for now, a braid it is.

elina333
March 22nd, 2010, 04:22 AM
A french braid or two english ones :pegasus:

aisling
March 22nd, 2010, 04:44 AM
I can't wear a loose braid when running anymore, it's so long that it can slap me in the face :) and it always flap along around my arms, very irritating. A braid is however a good start, I wear a braided bun mostly when running and the method of securing it is important. Not ever hairtool works in my opinion. A large Ficcare Maximas is often good, I've now tested two large Ficcarissimos as well, inserted one from each side. Another alternative for a very secure braided bun is the combo one Quattro u-fork and 3-4 hair scroos, here you could also use a bent double pointed knitting needle instead of the Quattro.

missmandy
March 22nd, 2010, 05:46 AM
like dars i ponytail my hair, but only pull it half way through the last loop. my hair's getting a bit long for this (!!!! :D :D :D ) but it gets the job done. :) and your hair looks like it's a good length for that type of "style."

Schnee
March 22nd, 2010, 05:56 AM
Normally I do a high braided ponytail. I like the flapping, but it's too long and heavy to hit my face or arms. ;)

Sometimes I do a low ponytail, split it and make to braids that I pin up in a chinese bun with two sticks. It will be rock solid, good for both running and long hikes.

Queen Olympias
March 22nd, 2010, 06:10 AM
Lately I have also been wearing braids for my run - french or english. The slapping on the back does not bother me, but I imagine with longer hair that could be a problem. Buns do not work for me. Occasionally I do a braided pony tail as well.

laurathexplora
March 22nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
I'm a mail carrier and I walk/run all day. I usually wear double braids, or double french braids pinned up into buns. They stay put and out of the way. I wish my braid was long enough to thump on my back when I run. :)

Kerynna
March 22nd, 2010, 11:15 AM
I do a figure eight bun held with a ficcare. Very comfortable while running.

Mama Bee
March 22nd, 2010, 12:45 PM
I wear a ball cap with mine to keep the little stray hairs from irritating me if any come loose, and it helps keep the rain off. (In western Oregon, you have to assume it will be raining at some point in your run, most days!) Under that, I either put it in a low ponytail and pull it through the back of the cap, or put it in two simple braids. Having it in two braids means I sometimes have to flip one back over my shoulder, but it eliminates the irritating pounding of one thicker braid in the middle of my back.

That said ... the other day I was having an exceptionally good hair day when I was wearing it down, and I just couldn't bear to put it up for my run. I made the oddest discovery, and as soon as I get over this wretched cold I'm going to test this out some more. I found that when my hair was down, I ran slightly faster and at a more consistent pace. If I slowed to a jog, it started bouncing into my face, and just that little bit of extra forward momentum would get it back over my shoulders again. Also, there's a certain rhythm of hair swinging around, just due to basic physics, and once I fell into a rhythm with my hair, it was easy to maintain that pace for the rest of the run.

And on a rather vain note, it made me happy to be unquestionably THE most feminine-looking runner on the road that day!

Madame J
March 22nd, 2010, 01:18 PM
I do a French braid, as well, but I've been experimenting with length-hiding styles as well, as I don't want some joker to think it's funny to tug my braid as I run by (there was a cyclist in another thread who said a driver did this to her while she was on her bike). I clubbed my hair this weekend and that lasted through three miles. It feels loose, but it holds like a rock and doesn't actually go anywhere. I posted about it in the "Clubbed hair" thread in this forum.

lora410
March 22nd, 2010, 01:19 PM
I do a tight cinnabun and hold it with a fork. If I use a stick it falls out.

pdy2kn6
March 23rd, 2010, 04:30 AM
I think perhaps using a stick is where I have been going wrong. Forks would probably do better. I don't like ponytails because of elastic damage. I would of thought that perhaps a braid would be a bit damaging due to so much bouncing on your back?

Cupofmilk
June 28th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I have been trying to go CO for a while but I keep getting itchy and and dandruffy.
So I am washing my roots twice a week only and one CO wash. Oil every other day.

The trouble is - we are having a mini heatwave in the UK. I am doing a lot of exercise - so my head gets hot and sweaty - ... what should I do about washing - under my roots is really yuk

Toadstool
June 28th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I've gone CO but with the weather and exercising I'm doing it daily.

trolleypup
June 28th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Just rinse your scalp with water.

marikamt
June 28th, 2010, 04:06 PM
It is pretty hot and humid here too, I am finding if I bun or ponytail my hair, the only part that gets really sweaty is around the hairline and bangs/ fringe. I just leave it my bun/ pony and wash around the hairline daily. I am finding I do have to do a full wash more often than normal though (about every 3 days)

Kome
June 28th, 2010, 04:39 PM
It's always hot where I am. I've been jogging in 90 degree farenheit weather and I can't help but sweat EVERYWHERE. I tend to just rinse my scalp in the shower and then use conditioner only. Or I condition the ends before I shampoo just my roots/scalp so that the shampoo doesn't get anywhere else.

Carolyn
June 28th, 2010, 05:41 PM
It's hot here too and I've been working in my garden and I've been exercising a few times a week to. I don't stick to a strict wash schedule. I CO or use shampoo when I feel I need it. That might be daily or every other day this time of year. I can't stand sweaty, stinky hair so I wash it. Once in a while I might do a water rinse but almost all the time it's a CO wash or a CWC wash. In the winter I can go 3-4 days without washing but not this time of year.

Alaia
June 28th, 2010, 05:50 PM
My scalp got pretty nasty over the weekend, since I work in a (chocolate) shop that doesn't have working AC so it was as hot inside as it was outside (hotter actually since it's like working in a greenhouse).

Rinsing with water helps, as people have said. I find I have to clarify more often in the heat probably because of sweaty gunky build-ups.

ericthegreat
June 28th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I normally CO rinse my hair every night anyway. Water and natural air-drying helps my hair stay in place, so instead of damaging my hair I think my everyday routine of using conditioner only & water helps to maximize the moisture in my hair.

We've been having a very hot summer here in NYC as well. This is the perfect weather to do cold showers IMO, what's more refreshing than showering off in cool water on a 90 degree day? I think my hair actually gets even healthier ever summer because I stop showering with warm water and switch to cool showers, and cooler water is a lot gentler on your hair.

Capybara
June 28th, 2010, 06:35 PM
You may have to do a S&C or CWC once in a while to make your hair feel better :) Have you considered scalp-only washes?

Islandgrrl
June 28th, 2010, 06:37 PM
What Trolleypup said: rinse with water.

spidermom
June 28th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I like CWC with diluted shampoo with water rinses between, conditioner to the length, of course.

ladycaladium
June 28th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I think I may in the same sort of boat. Not CO but shampooing (hopefully just the roots, conditioning the length) usually no more than once a week. I do rinse with water between washes (and club soda after swimming) but I think I may have to up the shampoos. It's really hot and humid by me and some construction is getting started where I live so there is dust/dirt/grim and such floating around. Any input? Will rinsing really well with water be okay for the d/d/g or should I up the shampooing?

jane53
June 28th, 2010, 07:28 PM
After yet another 98 degree day, I just have one thing to say: exercise schmexercise! Won't catch me moving vigorously under the glaring sun in the 100&#37; humidity. Nope. No way.

Fiferstone
June 28th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Tried rinsing with water on Sunday (first-ever WO in a long time, owing to yard work and icky, sweaty scalp on day 2 after a full wash), and unfortunately it's a bit of a fail on me. I'm going to have to do the scalp wash at pretty much the regular time. I found the hair nearest my scalp to be piece-y and oily-looking, though the length was nice and soft.

WO has never really worked for me, unfortunately.

MTS

trolleypup
June 28th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I think I may in the same sort of boat. Not CO but shampooing (hopefully just the roots, conditioning the length) usually no more than once a week. I do rinse with water between washes (and club soda after swimming) but I think I may have to up the shampoos. It's really hot and humid by me and some construction is getting started where I live so there is dust/dirt/grim and such floating around. Any input? Will rinsing really well with water be okay for the d/d/g or should I up the shampooing?
Mmm! Nice idea on the club soda!

I've had good luck washing out not non-oily/greasy dust and debris with just water, albeit with a strong stream of water. I mean...if the water runs brown, it must be working?

May
June 28th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Wash your hair if it's dirty. That's what I would do.

ladycaladium
June 28th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I can't take credit for the club soda idea, found it on this sight. Never would have thought to use it before.

"...if the water runs brown..." reminds me of doing laundry in Malta. On Gozo it was a bit dry/dusty and we only had a bathtub to do the wash. I will give rinse extra well to see if I can keep my shampooing to 7+ days apart. I'll see how it goes. I think "playing it by ear" may be the way to go.

julkasz
July 3rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
That is also what I worry about Madame J, the salt drying the hair out. I do cardio 6 times a week and a 15 min run 3 times a week. Normally on the days of just cardio I rinse with water straight away but on the days of cardio & running (I do one in the morning & the other at night) so would it be damaging to wash it two times a day with water or would it be more damaging to leave it sweaty? I tried to research this but with no luck so far. I will post if I find something out.
p.s Thank you for starting this thread just what I was looking for.
All the best xoxo

julliams
July 3rd, 2010, 09:09 PM
Sweat is only water and a bit of salt anyway right? It's the bacteria that's on the surface of the skin that causes the smell right? I hope I'm right. So if you started out with a clean head, it shouldn't really be a problem. Maybe just have a rule where you wash every second day and see how that goes for a couple of weeks. I used to have this problem too and it did cause me to wash my hair more often which I didn't like to do.

Eolan
July 5th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I now do WO:s after exercising, if its not wash day. Depending on how I wore my hair and how sweaty I got, I either do a full WO or just a scalp rinse. It works fine, both for my hair and scalp.

lastnite
July 7th, 2010, 01:16 AM
I'm getting back into my fitness regimen and was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on hair of course. I do cardio, weights and yoga. Before I used to wash my hair every other day, and wash my body down everyday. Washing around my neck and hairline to kinda freshen up my hair. ... I know that is probably gross to some to leave the sweat in the hair...but I know washing everyday isn't good either. I recently read sweat can be damaging if left on hair though, not sure if that's true or not since we always sweat.

So I'm wondering if you exercise, how often do you wash? How do you balance your hair and exercise routines? also any styles you wear that can handle some jumping around and that aren't damaging?

motormuffin
July 7th, 2010, 01:49 AM
I wash my hair on M, W, F but I exercise 6 days. 3 of the days I exercise twice a day. I usually just put it up and rinse off. I wash my face twice a day but my body just once. I get in the shower right after I exercise in the morning so it rinses off just fine.
Most times I just put it up with a stick. Sometimes a pony or a braid but I don't like feeling it flop around. It'll stay with a stick for a 1 mile sprint, any long runs it goes in a braid.

ibleedlipstick
July 7th, 2010, 01:58 AM
I wash with shampoo 2x a week, and on the days I run I CO. I'm sure it isn't the best thing for my hair, but it looks nasty if I don't at least CO it.

chopandchange
July 7th, 2010, 03:08 AM
I do cardio every other day and wash my hair on exercise days, so every two days for me.

TXbarbie
July 7th, 2010, 04:39 AM
I keep my hair down when I work out - working out means walking on an inclined treadmill soo sweating isn't an issue - and I just scalp wash when I'm done.

Linainverse
July 7th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I have to wash everyday or I am an oil-slick. That said I also run 5-6 times a week and the sweat has gotta be washed out or I feel disgusting. I've never felt bad about being an everyday washer, you just have to know what your scalp prefers.

morguebabe
July 7th, 2010, 06:04 AM
I exercise about 2-6 times a week.
Hair on cardio/weight days is in a braid, or high bun.
Classes its in a braid.
Yoga/pilates - high bun.

MsBubbles
July 7th, 2010, 07:48 AM
So I'm wondering if you exercise, how often do you wash?

The same as if I didn't exercise...every other day (my hair, that is!). Sweat has no bearing on how greasy my scalp is. That seems to be an entirely different function. My sweat doesn't make my hair greasy. It gets it wet but when it dries my hair is not greasy. And I skate about 12 miles out in 90 degree heat every day in the Summer during workdays, and 40 or so miles on the weekend, again in the raging heat. I wear a cycling helmet too. Strangely, my grease schedule is not affected by sweat.

How do you balance your hair and exercise routines?

As explained above, my exercise sweat has no bearing on how clean my hair appears so I just continue to wash it every other day (scalp wash) and not worry about the rest.

Where did you read that sweat damages hair?! I hope this isn't true. I haven't noticed it damaging mine but my hair is hardly in perfect shape.

lastnite
July 7th, 2010, 05:27 PM
rest.

Where did you read that sweat damages hair?! I hope this isn't true. I haven't noticed it damaging mine but my hair is hardly in perfect shape.

I got it from here http://www.debbiesiebers.com/beauty.html, but I know all stylist have different opinions and I know you girls would know for sure though.

DiablitaNoir
July 7th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I usually exercise about 3 times a week for 45 minutes to an hour at a time and I wash twice a week. Sounds gross, I know, but I also color my hair so I don't like to wash it too much out of fear of drying it out.

HikerTrash
July 7th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I went on a really long backpack trip where I hiked every single day for months. I would wash my hair only every 4 days or so. I think the longest I went was 10 days. I kept my hair in one or two braids and didn't take it out. The day I washed my hair I would take the braid out and I could still smell the shampoo and the hair in the braid was still clean. So I think a braid would work and maybe just rinse your head of the sweat if it's that bad.

chopandchange
July 7th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Where did you read that sweat damages hair?! I hope this isn't true. I haven't noticed it damaging mine but my hair is hardly in perfect shape..

Well, sweat is essentially salt water, and salt is very drying. Just think of surfers. Their hair tends to get very dry. However, I don't know what the levels of salt are in sweat, as opposed to sea water. Also, having a little bit of sweat on your scalp is not the same as drenching your entire length in sea water.

Personally, I do wash the sweat out of my hair, not because I'm worried about damage, but because when it dries it does seem to leave my roots greasy. If you don't have this problem, I expect you're fine to carry on as you are.

johnnysgirl
July 7th, 2010, 05:58 PM
For yoga or anything on a bench, I use a long braid, because I can't do a lot of the poses with a bun. For cardio, I choose a nautilus bun with Amish pins. I hate bounce, and the nautilus seems to hold together really tightly without putting any stress on my scalp at all. For snowboarding and biking (just thought I'd throw that in! lol), I've discovered the hair glove pony tail cover which totally rocks.

As for washing, when I do cardio, I soak the top 4 inches of my hair, and it's stiff and sticky when it dries, so I do cardio right before my wash on wash day. For yoga and stuff like that, I don't wash my hair, just body. You might try just rinsing on sweaty days - the salt will rinse out. I can't do rinse only - my hair gets too tangled. Maybe a rinse with CO?

Kristin
July 7th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I usually oil my hair and then braid or bun it. Or do a braided bun.:) Holds just fine with sticks. I use a couple of bobby pins or a hair band to hold back my bangs.

I CO every time I work out, which is 5-6 days a week. I shampoo when I feel I need it (once every 1-2 weeks, but now that I'm pretty much cone-free, it will probably be 2 or more weeks). My hair actually feels more moisturized when I CO regularly. I hate the feeling of sweat drying in my hair. Plus, I sweat so much when I run that my whole braid is often wet. Yuck.

Sissy
July 7th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I'm going to be checking this one with interest, as I often struggle with this!

misspriss
July 7th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I work out three times a week, do cardio, and then weights. I sweat, but I only shower my body not my hair. It doesn't seem to hurt it. I only started working out a few weeks ago and I still wash my hair the usual twice a week. It may not look that great, IDK, I always wear it up so I don't notice a difference.

rags
August 3rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
I currently go the gym several times a week for mandated torture sessions. :p My problem is this - the only thing I have found comfortable for lifting weights or yoga or basically anything where you have your head lying on a mat or machine is a braid. And my hair is so slippery that after about half an hour to an hour - the elastic will come off the bottom!

I have tried all kinds of elastics. The only ones with any type of staying power at all are the little silicone ones, and I have to wrap them quite tightly. And they STILL slip off in the end!!

What do others do for doing these types of exercise? I'm usually lifting weights three times a week, and I'm getting tired of redoing my hair every time!

Any hints on keeping the elastics where I PUT them? Evil little things, anyways! :p Or else an alternate hairstyle (except I'm sorry, I won't do a topknot. Not only does it look horrid on me, but it doesn't stay well either!)

Thanks for any help!

luxepiggy
August 3rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
when I was working out every day, I had the same problem. One surprisingly easy fix for me was to add a couple of extra elastics in each place where you're using one now. It doesn't eliminate the problem altogether, but it's secure enough to last through a standard weights-and-cardio gym session

Darkhorse1
August 3rd, 2010, 03:53 PM
This happened to a friend of mine as well---there are elastics that have grip, but she found that the terry ties worked for her. Though, she kept her hair in a ponytail.

I'm in the same boat in regards to yoga and braids, but my hair does stay in a braid--the tie.

I think scunci came up with a line for 'athletes', but it has a coating on the inside of the elastic and probably wouldn't be bad as it's the ends of your hair you are securing.

cmnt831
August 3rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
Oh, this is one of the reasons I came to check in today. I'm doing yoga and I'm having to rearrange my hair in the middle of it to accommodate certain poses . So far, the best place is an updo on top of my head, but I know at some point, I'll need to get into a position where a top of the head updo will be in the way.

What kind of braid and where do you place it to be most accommodating to yoga? Yeah, and my hair's slippery, too, so it starts coming undone anyway....

Thanks for letting me piggy-back on this thread. :flower:

luxepiggy
August 3rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
I don't do yoga, but I used to do pilates, and I actually found a low, loose ponytail at the nape of my neck was the most adaptable, because I could shift it around to one side of my neck or the other without have to redo the whole thing from scratch

Anje
August 3rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
I've found that terry ties tend to stay pretty well, though they're far from perfect.

If you really want to get your hair to stay tied, why don't you try braiding a ribbon (or a leather strip, or a piece of yarn) into your braid. Then when you get to the bottom, wrap the ends of the ribbon around a few times, and tie it. If you've got it braided in for several cross-overs at least, it ought to stay anchored.

rags
August 3rd, 2010, 04:12 PM
when I was working out every day, I had the same problem. One surprisingly easy fix for me was to add a couple of extra elastics in each place where you're using one now. It doesn't eliminate the problem altogether, but it's secure enough to last through a standard weights-and-cardio gym session

Thanks for that! I'd actually never thought of that. :hmm: I'll give it a try tomorrow!

This happened to a friend of mine as well---there are elastics that have grip, but she found that the terry ties worked for her. Though, she kept her hair in a ponytail.

I'm in the same boat in regards to yoga and braids, but my hair does stay in a braid--the tie.

I think scunci came up with a line for 'athletes', but it has a coating on the inside of the elastic and probably wouldn't be bad as it's the ends of your hair you are securing.

I can use those scunci ones for a ponytail, but alas, my hair is too thin to use them for the ends of a braid. Also, the grippy part tends to take hair with it (and I am very, very careful!) :scared:

Oh, this is one of the reasons I came to check in today. I'm doing yoga and I'm having to rearrange my hair in the middle of it to accommodate certain poses . So far, the best place is an updo on top of my head, but I know at some point, I'll need to get into a position where a top of the head updo will be in the way.

What kind of braid and where do you place it to be most accommodating to yoga? Yeah, and my hair's slippery, too, so it starts coming undone anyway....

Thanks for letting me piggy-back on this thread. :flower:

I generally have been doing an English braid at the nape of the neck for yoga. I then pull it to one side or the other (but it doesn't stay very well, as my hair's not long enough yet. ) I've also done a French or Dutch braid with fairly good success. They still come undone, though! :rant:

cmnt831
August 3rd, 2010, 04:21 PM
I generally have been doing an English braid at the nape of the neck for yoga. I then pull it to one side or the other (but it doesn't stay very well, as my hair's not long enough yet. ) I've also done a French or Dutch braid with fairly good success. They still come undone, though! :rant:

Ah thanks, all of those suggestions might work for me. Maybe a braid on either side would work, too. I've just been doing a super-messy cinnabun on top of my head, which works sometimes and sometimes not.... Guess we'll have to experiment with what will keep the hair from coming undone without damaging it or pulling it out. :rolleyes:

rags
August 3rd, 2010, 04:31 PM
I've found that terry ties tend to stay pretty well, though they're far from perfect.

If you really want to get your hair to stay tied, why don't you try braiding a ribbon (or a leather strip, or a piece of yarn) into your braid. Then when you get to the bottom, wrap the ends of the ribbon around a few times, and tie it. If you've got it braided in for several cross-overs at least, it ought to stay anchored.

I hadn't thought of this either! Though I've tried once with ribbon a long time ago, and it slipped off. But leather - that might work! Thank you!

dropinthebucket
August 4th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Not sure if your hair is too thick for this, but I use a clip - one of those bendy metal clips like barrettes, but without any teeth, just smooth metal - an added bonus: the hair fans out in the clip and doesn't look like such a thin braid end. I'm an F i, with slippery hair, so the barrette really holds the end of the braid well, where an elastic would never, never do the job!

linda g
August 4th, 2010, 10:51 AM
rags, in terms of small ponytail holders that don't hurt your hair... I found a pack of Scunci "No Damage" elastics in the girls department in Wal-Mart. These are made of stretchy fabric, so very gentle.

http://www.ontrend.com.au/Content_Common/pr-Scunci-Girl-Hair-Accessories-Kids-Range_Scunci-Girl-Hair-Accessories-12pc-no-damage-elastic-bright-soft.seo

elvenmaedchen
August 4th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I just started kung fu and tai chi and wasn't sure what to do with my hair either!

Presently I have been braiding it and then putting it up in a low bun, held with one hair stick. It usually stays put and if I'm doing floor exercises I can easily take the stick out and put it back in if I need to. I hope this helps :)

chotee
August 5th, 2010, 05:47 AM
I do a lot of yoga and i braid my hair....sometimes with a long (new :smile:) shoe lace which can be tied right from the beginning....it somehow never comes off....the lace has to be cottony one and the flat types.....

rags
August 5th, 2010, 07:12 AM
So two recommendations for braiding something in. I'm going to town today - will look for shoelaces and maybe some small leather strips!

Dropinthebucket - I think my braid end is too small to be held with a barrette! :wail: I am also a F/i, and my ends taper somewhat. I've tried a mini flexi and a spring barrette (no teeth) and they don't hold at ALL! Maybe I could make the tassel longer and try this again? :hmm:

Anje
August 5th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Make them long leather strips. The real key to securing your braid with leather or a ribbon or anything else like that is to fold them in half and braid them in for at least a few inches. Better still is to start at the top, which means you need strips/ribbons more than twice the length of your hair from where the braid starts. (I did say braid, but braids shorten everything.)

I've done this a few times (feel free to laugh) with this Lion faux-suede yarn stuff. It works well and I don't worry about losing or wasting it, since I've got a whole spool of it.

ETA: dropinthebucket, are you referring to those little V-shaped snap clips? Those might work, but I'm paranoid of them cutting hair or something.

I sometimes secure braids with itty bitty jaw clips (Seriously, a pencil would be too big for the jaws, because I have taper too!). They're nice because you don't have to pass the hair through them lots of times, but I wouldn't guarantee them staying on. They're really good for learning to pull your braid over your shoulder when you sit at something with a back, since they hurt to lean on.

julliams
August 5th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Can you braid halfway and tie it off so that there is more tassle?

Sundial
August 20th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I agree with luxepiggy on the low ponytail. I hit the gym daily and do weights on a regular basis too.

So far, this seems to work best for my length. Buns get in the way when I'm using certain machines and the ties on braids loosen far too easily. Although the hair tie slips off easily on my low ponytail, it's easier to tie it back on a low ponytail than to redo a braid.

^_^ hope this helps

patience
August 20th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Can you braid halfway and tie it off so that there is more tassle?

This is what I was thinking. :)

OT...your hair has grown so much since the last time I saw a pic of it. So pretty! I must get on the boards more often. :)

little_cherry
August 29th, 2010, 08:02 PM
What do all of you active people do with your hair before you work out? I walk for an hour- two hours every day and have noticed my hair feels a little dry. I put my hair up in 2 doubled up English braids to avoid the ends rubbing on me...I also wear a hat/cap.

This may be TMI, but my hair is soaking by the time I am done walking (I power walk.)

Would I be better off lining the hat in silk or wearing a scarf before I put the hat on?

Is it worth oiling heavily before activity?

tinti
August 29th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Maybe bunning may be better with the sweat? When I was exercising I made a bun high on my head and then I could sweat as much as I wanted because my hair was high and only the part against my scalp got wet.

little_cherry
August 29th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Thank you for your response. A bun would work if I wasn't wearing a hat..the hat just won't fit. :/

Crackaleen
August 29th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I normally wear mine in a bun or occasionally in a braided pony. Even when I do the pony I always carry pins or something to put it up in a bun if I need to (there's just no way I can jog or run with a ponytail, it bounces too much and usually ends up slapping me in a the face at some point).

chloeishere
August 29th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Can I ask why you wear the hat? Is it something you should do for the type of exercise you are doing? What type of exercise is it? I have several routines for different exercises.

For swimming (my preferred exercise) I wet my hair in the shower and squeeze out excess water, put in several handfuls of conditioner (as if I were doing a CO wash), then wrap the wet, conditioned hair around the crown of my head like I am doing a crown braid. I then flip my silicone swim cap inside out, fill the pocket with water from the shower head, and use the weight from the water to flip the cap over my head. I tuck in any bits still sticking out, put my goggles on, and I am ready for an hour of swimming (I occasionally have to push hair around the nape and forehead back in, but this works the best for me so far). Afterward, I just rinse out the conditioner and towel dry my hair, unless it's feeling grubby, then I will wash it and reapply conditioner.

For cardio work (exercise video, treadmill, elliptical, whatever). I do a tight bun on the crown of my head (i.e. high up, with my hair unparted), and hold it with a waterproof hairstick (acrylic or corian preferred).

I think that some degree of damage is unavoidable for swimming (but I've done the best I can, and it's more important to me to do exercise that I enjoy and will continue doing than to have my hair in the. best. condition. possible.), but for non-water cardio, I really don't feel like I get any damage at all. I generally CO wash after exercising unless my scalp is feeling oily/grubby (i.e. it felt dirty before I started exercising)-- sweat is water soluble, and I feel like conditioner is plenty to get that out.

I hope some of this was helpful!

janedoe0
August 29th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Honestly, I just put my hair up in a ponytail when I go running, even though i know it's not good for my hair...my hair is so thick and layered that it doesn't stay in braids and buns.

Since I usually exercise 4-5 days a week and sweat so much, I try to oil it before I exercise in an effort to offset the damage it gets from being washed so much. If you sweat a lot like I do, then no one ever notices that your hair has oil in it.

swivelhop
August 29th, 2010, 09:27 PM
This is probably why I will never have really long hair. Oil might be good for hair but sweat is not, it is very drying to leave that salty stuff in the hair. I lightly oil the fragile hairs on my hairline to keep them from coming in contact with so much salt, then bun my hair. (low double buns for runs with the hat) I usually wash up before the sweat is dried so its less damaging. I cannot stand the thought of leaving my hair dripping wet with sweat just to dry.

ReddishRocks
August 29th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I Irish dance, which means a lot of vigorous jumping and kicking! Ficcares hold my hair like a rock. I use Mini Maximas for a half-back during competition! You can do a Ficcare maxima bun really low and close to your nape, then still get a hat on top.

little_cherry
August 29th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Thank you all for your responses. :)

I do WO every time after my walks and have sometimes oiled before, but now I'll do it regularly. I have to wear a hat because it is so incredibly hot out there (full sun exposure for 2 hours), plus the uva+uvb index is quite high and I don't want to burn. Sun is very drying and damaging to hair, and dry hair= split ends. There are also other risks of being unprotected in the sun for 2 hours, like sunstroke. I get 10 minutes of unprotected sun exposure for my vitamin D as prescribed by a my doctor.

Being an Aussie, it has always been important to "slip, slop, slap" while outside to decrease the occurrence of skin cancers caused by harmful UV rays...besides, it's so comfortable being in the sun with some form of protection. I was just looking for a great balance between healthy hair and body. :)

I love the ficcare idea...unfortunately, it's not in my budget right now...if anyone has one with the paint flaking off and wouldn't mind parting with it, I would be delighted.

Thank you, all! :)

lpsqt60
August 29th, 2010, 11:15 PM
When I work out I usually bun my hair and use two claw clips and it holds up pretty well, I don't like a ponytail as with all the cardio it slips down and pulls on my hair.

Lize
August 30th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I do aikido a lot (4-5 times a week) which involves a lot of falling and rolling on the floor. Also some close contact with other people. My hair is layered, slippery and only APL so right now my solution is to wear a ponytail which I braid. As seen in the picture.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/Libelous/IMG_6484.jpg

My plan is to wear a regular braid in the future when my hair is long enough for it to hold. Sometimes I just wear a ponytail, but when I do I feel like my hair takes a lot of stress. For example people might sit on it during pins and it gets rubbed. I sometimes also wear double braids, English or Dutch, but to be honest I don't really feel confortable in that style. A bun would never hold during aikido, and I can't really wear any hard hair toys either. So wearing the hair braided is the best solution.

For less vigorous exercise like walking I think I'd prefer wearing a bun. Especially if I was outside with wind and chilly air.

Sundial
August 30th, 2010, 12:29 AM
I have the same issue as janedoe0! I can never work out with a bun because it always comes undone the minute I start running. The only style that works for me is a low ponytail (I get the slap-in-the-face problem too if the ponytail's too high). It'll be nice if I can figure out a way to keep my hair in an updo while doing cardio!

lastnite
September 14th, 2010, 09:02 PM
those of you that wear buns when exercising, what do you use to hold them in place? sorry if it was mentioned before... there are too many pages to look through. :)

I don't want something that will pull at my scalp...but it still needs to hold firmly. I'm using scrunchies and bobby pins, but it comes loose and then I have to put it back up again. I was thinking maybe of trying the Amish pins, what do yous think?

JenniferNoel
September 14th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I would never cover my hair during exercise, all of that sweat building up under there, ick. I always have my hair in a high suck bun when I know I will be sweating, or any other high bun that I know won't slip out. I wash ASAP after.

Lize
September 15th, 2010, 02:16 AM
lastnite: I think amish pins could be worth a try. I think that when I use those my hair dos always hold very well. But for exercise I am not sure however... I insert them into my bun the same way I would a hairstick.

WaitingSoLong
January 9th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Ok I have recently started running (ok, maybe jogging is the correct term). There is no bun I can do that doesn't either fall out or give me a massive headache while running. I usually only jog on my treadmill at home so "style" is not an issue.

A braid and a pony tail, even a secured one (several ties down the length), seem to get a lot of friction on my back as I jog. The wrapter does not want to stay in. Niether do the actual pontail holders unless I use the grippy ones (rubberish grips on them) which I am pretty sure is probably not good for my hair.

I tried loose, which was ok except the massive arm-pit collection with the sweat and it all sticking to my back and arms etc. LOL.

Also, I do some high stepping when I jog, which makes for some serious bounce action (sort of like dance-jogging...lame I know but I DON'T CARE I think it is fun)

Ideas?

I am pretty sure I have seen a thread on this before but I did a search and must not be entering the right keywords. Directing me to a link is FINE. Thanks!

klcqtee
January 9th, 2011, 08:53 PM
When I did summer school PE, I found the ONLY bun that worked, was to make a braid with 4 strands (my hair was only BSL at the time) to eat up my length, then fold it up, and secure it with two or three hair sticks. Held up through jogging, running bleachers, dancing, and jumping rope.

With your length, I think a 6 or 7 strand braid might be better. The idea, is to eat up enough length, that you only fold it 2 or 3 times, so you don't have a giant head eating bun that pulls uncomfortably. The reason I like it is because I don't have to use any sort of elastic (I hate them, my hair isn't happy with them, we just don't get along), and it's secure. I hope that helps!

twopoints
January 9th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Use a swimming cap?

pepperminttea
January 9th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Could you try a braided ponytail higher up on your head? I find higher up they rub against my back a lot less, and swing more.

Madora
January 9th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Why not try heidi braids around your head? That way the hair is off your back and protected.

kschr2004
January 9th, 2011, 09:33 PM
What about a sock bun? One day I was wearing that and went jogging on the treadmill at lunch. My hair didn't move! It was great!

Lostsoule77
January 9th, 2011, 09:46 PM
When I take spin I found the only thing that didn't bother me was an infinity bun held in with 2 sticks (making sure they wouldn't hit my neck.) It kept my hair off my neck and face as well as kept it secure (as in DID NOT move) without pulling on my hair.

spidermom
January 9th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I do a single dutch braid down the back, put a stick horizontal between the braid-bump and my scalp near where the braid starts, then keep the braid very flat as I bring it up and wrap it around the stick, tucking the end under. Then I use a second stick to secure the braided bun. I take the sticks out when I'm ready to stretch because some of my stretches require me to lay on my back.

Or I do twin braids and keep one in front of each shoulder. They swing around a LOT less in that position.

Twin buns made high hold better than a single bun.

MandyBeth
January 9th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Ah, my reason to not go past BSL or waist. For me, with martial arts, braids are it. Mostly do BJJ and Muay Thai, which no bun works.

Malibu Barbie
January 9th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Braided buns always work for me. One in the back or one on each side of the head.

squintinschool
January 9th, 2011, 10:23 PM
What I have been doing that works well for distributing weight is first braiding my hair to the nape of my neck in two braids, then tying that off and making a two rope braid bun from the ends. One key thing I found for distributing weight for buns is to pin while winding. about every 2" or so of hair, stick in a pin. Another thing to try would be a four strand vortex bun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSf1vv8oB6g. It distributes the weight from my hair very well, and would be a very good option especially considering how much more length you have than me.

HTH!

mellie89
January 9th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure if it would work with your length, but I always do a ponytail and pull it halfway through the last time you wrap the hair tie around. Maybe you could anchor the ponytail with one hair tie, and then fold your pony in half and secure it with a second hair tie? I've used the Ouchless elastics for years, and I haven't noticed any damage from them. You could always use scrunchies too.

Whatever style you end up choosing, I think it's important that you are able to take it out and redo it fairly quickly if it becomes uncomfortable during your workout. :)

Red Leo
January 9th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Ok I have recently started running (ok, maybe jogging is the correct term). There is no bun I can do that doesn't either fall out or give me a massive headache while running. I usually only jog on my treadmill at home so "style" is not an issue.

A braid and a pony tail, even a secured one (several ties down the length), seem to get a lot of friction on my back as I jog. The wrapter does not want to stay in. Niether do the actual pontail holders unless I use the grippy ones (rubberish grips on them) which I am pretty sure is probably not good for my hair.

I tried loose, which was ok except the massive arm-pit collection with the sweat and it all sticking to my back and arms etc. LOL.

Also, I do some high stepping when I jog, which makes for some serious bounce action (sort of like dance-jogging...lame I know but I DON'T CARE I think it is fun)

Ideas?

I am pretty sure I have seen a thread on this before but I did a search and must not be entering the right keywords. Directing me to a link is FINE. Thanks!

Hello,
I also run/jog and I have found that braiding pig tails helped me and if you wrap them around your head like the swiss miss girl and some little clips it will stay out of the way.It may take more than a few clips but worth it.
Red Leo

Igor
January 9th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Nautilus? Chinese bun?

WaitingSoLong
January 10th, 2011, 09:30 AM
A lot of great ideas! And thanks for the bun video I have never seen that bun before WOW it is huge! lol. I think it would require my whole head to do it. But I will HAVE to try it because it is so awesome looking.

I will probably try the twin braids first, wrapped around the head. I have yet to find a bun that didn't give me a pulling headache. The high buns are a good ideas, tho. My hair spits out sticks so I would use spin pins (how did I ever live without these?).

I will have to pass on the swim cap idea. I don't see how I could get my hair into one and shudder to think of the sweat produced. LOL. I did consider a shower cap once but the sweat...

I only jog once or twice a week so it will take me awhile to try these out. Thanks everyone!

ddiana1979
January 10th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I've never had hair as long as yours, but when I ran track & field with WL hair, I did twin braids (usually French), bent forward, circled them in opposite directions around my head & put the two ends together with another pony tail holder (sort of like a half-*ssed crown braid), and put a men's size ball cap over the whole thing. If I were doing it now, I'd probably put a silk scarf on first, to help prevent traction damage. Anyway, it was good & sturdy for a 2-3 hour practice.

Hiriel
January 10th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Nautilus? Chinese bun?

A braided nautilus bun held with a flexi8 holds extremely well for me while running :)

If I'm going to lie down while exercising (or have my head against a headrest on a machine) I'll just wear twin braids.

cherokeesaint
January 11th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I normally braid mine and put up into a bun.

WaitingSoLong
January 13th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Ok, I am going to try a high bun today. I have not run since I posted because the kids have been home from school (snow) and I will NOT run in front of anyone! lol. The treadmill is ancient and loud and besides I like to jam on my MP3 and, well, I just like to do it in private. I wore a high bun yesterday. I hardly ever do this and realized I really like the way I look with high buns. However, I did have a hair-headache at the end of the day which is why I don't usually wear it high up. However, it stayed in place nicely no matter what I did yesterday so we will see if it survives a workout.

Nymph
January 13th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I make a cinnamon bun, but with an elastic bun to hold the ponytail together. Then push the pins behind the elastic.

Anje
January 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Ficcarissimos work best for me when I need it to stay put.

CarpeDM
January 13th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I work out a lot and the only thing that works for me is a single braid or two braids. You could try putting elastics down the braid to hold it in place, sometimes I do that too.

WaitingSoLong
January 13th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Ok well the top bun is a NO GO. Massive migraine. I will try twin braids next wrapped around my head to keep them from rubbing on my shirt.

Heartwillfollow
January 13th, 2011, 02:49 PM
your hair is beautiful... :) do you have a light weight hoodie maybe sleeveless type pull over that you could keep a loose pony tail but let it sit cupped in the hooded area wearing it down..

Don't know since I don't have long hair,, but it sounds like your looking for strong support for your length.. :)

WaitingSoLong
January 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Heart, I don't have any hoodies. They go against my..."type"...lol. But something to consider! Thanks! Esp. if I find a sleeveless one. I am home alone when I run so I won't care what I look like :O)

Kittin
January 14th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I have really fine hair and its hard to keep in place when I work out. I love to use spin pins or these great ponytail holders I got from an asian market. They are made out of this material that looks like the old phone cords, minus the wires. Its this stretchy coil thing. It doesn't leave a mark on the hair when I pull it out, even after a few hours. I found a link (http://tinyurl.com/4lqaeg5) with a picture never purchased from them, but it will give you a better idea of what I am describing if I can get the link to post. I haven't noticed any damage from them and haven't had them get stuck in my hair. Which was my original fear.

WaitingSoLong
January 16th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Kittin...wow I have never seen those before! I wonder if you can buy those in the store? They are cheap anyway! I can see lots of potential for those if they work like I am thinking...

Kittin
January 18th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I found mine in an asian market. It was a pack 9 different colored ones from light blonde to black. My mother has blonde hair so I sent her all the light ones. It was around $5 for the pack. Since I have lots of really fine, straight hair, I check the asian markets for hair toys. I tend to find items there that work well for me. Also, clover makes some tiny ones to hold knitting needles together. I bought some of those for when I make two braids with my hair. So far I haven't had any breakage, I just am really careful putting them in and removing them. I really like that I get no rubber marks from them.

NouvelleNymphe2
January 18th, 2011, 12:42 PM
don't have hairs as lovely and long as yours, but perhaps a beanie hat? i love running in my big soft winter hats.

Florida Mom
January 18th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I workout alot, and the things that work best for me whether spinning, aerobics, weights, etc, is a high braided ponytail or french braid (dutch braid too now that I can finally make one!) Every bun I try comes out, or needs to come out for weights, situps and stretches. Good luck!

Fadedbluedreams
January 18th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Something I used to do when working: Braid my hair in one long braid, then use a cloth scrunchie at the end. Then safety pin the cloth scrunchie to my shirt. Therefore, it would stay out of the way.

anilov
February 7th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Sorry if I pose a question that has been answered, I tried searching put did not quite find what I was looking for.

I went to exercise class today, after a long break. I've mostly been running or gone to spinning classes for the past two years, and then I normally braid my hair into one or two french braids. So today I did two french braids, but I found that the braids were getting caught in my armpits when exercising :o Not too comfortable, and it hasn't happened when running, so now I don't know how to wear my hair when exercising. It's at waist now, the longest it has ever been. I'd be very happy for suggestions on what to do with it.

Madora
February 7th, 2011, 03:08 PM
heidi braids. Fast, comfortable, secure!

krissykins
February 7th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I usually braid and put it in a bun. That way it's secure and out of the way. HTH!

Bubbleguppy
February 7th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I usually just do a pony tail or messy bun when I'm working out, but my hair is only BSL, so I don't think those options would work. But maybe there's a way you can do a bun with your braids? maybe pinning them in place? Something that would keep them out of your way, but secure enough to run/spin with.

Coan-Teen
February 7th, 2011, 03:19 PM
My hair isn't half as long as yours but I find a bun to be best for running. Anything secure.

anilov
February 7th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Thank you so much, Heidi braids seems like the perfect option (why didn't I think of it myself :o ). In this exercise class you're supposed to do a lot of situps (or whatever they're called?) and other things where you lay on your back with the head resting on the floor, so it's a little bit hard with a bun (and I'm not sure if I could actually get one to stay during the whole exercise :))

milagro
February 7th, 2011, 03:33 PM
heidi braids. Fast, comfortable, secure!
Second this. I mostly do heidi braids or two medium-low buns, it's more or less flat on head, secure and not tugging too much. I find pinned hair is the most comfortable and safe, I guess I lost a good bunch of hair on pull-downs only :D

akhkharu
February 7th, 2011, 03:42 PM
My hair is a bit longer than yours and no sort of bun works for me while running. After less than a mile, my hair starts to slip out and pull. I usually do one or two French braids to eat up some of the length, but they still slap my arms. It's kind of annoying, but you get used to it.

Becky9679
June 21st, 2011, 07:14 AM
I like to run regularly and would love to find an updo that I can wear which will stay in. Any kind of bun drops out within seconds of beginning my run no matter how I secure it (all the bouncing up and down :p). I usually braid but I'd rather do something that actually keeps my hair up and out of the way. Any ideas?

Also I'd prefer not to wash my hair more often than absolutely necessary but obviously after a run my hair is all sweaty and horrible. If I don't wash it my scalp gets itchy and I feel generally like a filthy person! Would a water only or ACV rinse be any good to sort this out until I do my main wash of the week?

Tiina
June 21st, 2011, 07:30 AM
What do you secure your buns with? Pins and sticks can slide off with the bouncing but claw clips will hold the bun well no matter what you are doing. I use 2 small ones (1cm-ish) on a cinnabun when I run and it feels comfortable, too, unlike braids which try to beat up my back.

Other than that I can think of a beebutt bun secured with a scrunchie. Flipping up the braid and securing with a good, strong clip and crown braid (although that is probably too much work to do all the time).

A good rinsing with water is good enough for me. I sometimes use a vinegar rinse to clean my hair, when it is sort of unclean but not entirely in need of a wash. I make the dilution stronger than I normally do then. Also, I only use clear vinegar so I don't know if ACV would work the same way.

ETA : I guess you could try to use a headscarf but I promise nothing.

homeeduk8tor
June 21st, 2011, 07:47 AM
Try Goody Spin Pins- they have incredible hold!

Alaia
June 21st, 2011, 07:53 AM
Try Goody Spin Pins- they have incredible hold!

Yep!

And you can get them in Boots ;)

GeoJ
June 21st, 2011, 08:11 AM
This works for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vRgZuXse5o

I also like double Dutch braids, with the ends pinned around my head.

Back when my hair was APL, I just kept it in a braid at my nape (probably because I didn't learn to do a bun until I was past BSL).

I exercise often, and I have to at least rinse the sweat out each day. I usually would just do a scalp wash though, because WO didn't work for me.

ellen732
June 21st, 2011, 08:48 AM
I have to give the spin pins a try. I put my hair in a high pony tail and I don't pull the ends all the way through on the last wrap of the pony tail holder. Then I take the hair that is now the pony tail and wrap it around the base forming a bun that I use a scrunchie to secure. It is the only thing that stays up for me when running. :)

flourish
June 21st, 2011, 09:38 AM
I braid my hair in two tight braids and cross them over themselves in the back, using a big butterfly clip to hold them in place. it's never failed me.

Krentje
June 21st, 2011, 10:02 AM
I secure the ends of and English braid with a flexi* somewhere on my head. After running, i gently fingercomb my hair upside down and rinse with WO (+ little vinegair). If i took a run for half an hour, i still sweat of course, but i usually quickly fresh up and wash my hair the next day.

CarpeDM
June 21st, 2011, 10:58 AM
Double braids work well for me when I run...

CoconutLover
June 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM
How about a braided bun? The best of both worlds! When I had longer hair and could do a braided bun it never fell out when I was running or doing other sports.

I also oiled before running as the heat generated from my head kind of gave my hair a hot oil treatment. Then when I got home I would CO out. I go running once or twice a week so I do it on a wash night, however if you want to go more often and still want to stretch washes I'm sure a WO with an ACV rinse for your scalp would do the trick!

princessp
June 21st, 2011, 11:27 AM
My vote is for a cinnabun held with a pair of quattro felxsticks. Check out the P90x post on my blog if you want to see an experiment I did doing different styles held with different hairtoys during exercise. My results were that this was the best way to hold my hair during intense exercise (1-1.5 hours). Your hair could be entirely different than mine, but that was my experience anyway. Good luck. :)

Becky9679
June 21st, 2011, 01:43 PM
Thank you for all of the ideas, I will give some of them a try! I'm a bit of a noob with updos so it make take a bit of trial and error before I find what works for me ;)

angelshair
June 21st, 2011, 02:27 PM
I french braid my hair and then tuck the tail in under the braid. Secure with a lightweight hair clip. Has never failed me and it doesnt get in the way. It also protects the hair from bouncing up and down on my shoulder when Im running.

I find that its enough to WO if I do it straight away when I come home from running so that the sweat hasnt set yet.

Tigermama
June 21st, 2011, 05:32 PM
A super quick braid with the end claw clipped at the back of my neck. That way it minimizes pulling, and still keeps the ends from being swished around and damaged.

BlazingHeart
June 21st, 2011, 10:15 PM
If I was going for something basic at that length back when I played soccer, I'd do a high pony, english braid the 'tail, tie it in a knot, and then tuck the tassle through the ponytail holder. I found that was usually pretty stable, and even if it fell out, I just had the braid knocking the back of my head.

~Blaze

gthlvrmx
June 21st, 2011, 10:27 PM
Braids are your friends here, loose braid as you have said works, braided buns seem to work with me with a nice soft scrunchie (it's only for exercising anyways).
As for the wash, i tend not to! I know, filthy, but i agree, i feel very dirty and itchy if i don't so a ACV rinse might help. I worry about the same thing, washing too much and messing up my hair schedule
I have found though massaging my scalp has calmed the itchiness and somehow made my scalp not feel that gunky heaviness after a good sweat. Maybe this will help as well.

prettykitty
June 21st, 2011, 11:02 PM
I just go with a pony and braid the tail, but I wear a hat so buns wouldn't work. I usually run coconut oil through the length to protect it from sweat. Afterwards I co wash, the sweat is just too icky and I worry about the salt damaging my hair.

Eolan
June 22nd, 2011, 01:47 AM
This is what I do to my hair when I exercise:

Bouncy sports: Dutch braid that I either pin up or bun, or I do a french twist. (Don't know how long I will be able to do that, though. Have to enjoy it while it lasts!) Sometimes I also wear a head band, because my main problem is not getting my hair to stay, but that I get the wispies in my face, and that annoys the heck out of me. A combination of u-pins and bobby pins keeps my hair put.

Weight lifting: Two regular English braids. Works well when you do push ups and put the bar on your neck to do squats and stuff.

To refresh your sweaty hair you could CO, do a rinse, a scalp wash or just rinse your scalp with some water. You have to try different things to see what you like. :)

MidnightStar
July 8th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I looked through and didn't see a thread like this, so figured I'd start it. I was just wondering about how peoples' exercise routines effect their hair care. I tend to be pretty active (at least, I try) and because I'm also a Florida girl, it gets pretty hot and humid down here, so I tend to wash my hair more than I'd really like. I use an organic, non-cone, non-SLS shampoo for this, so at least I don't feel like I'm causing too much damage, and I also use metal free elastics to pony my hair.
So...thoughts? How is your hair care routine effected by exercise (or I guess I should say, sweat)? Is there anything special you do to protect it? Or does it really not make a huge difference to you?

daaisychains
July 8th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I just tend to 'stick it out' until my next hair wash. I do wash my body afterwards don't worry. As long as i don't have to go anywhere extra special until the next wash day i can usually get away with it, i know not helpful! But i find that after i sleep on my hair following exercise it's not at greasy in the morning.

I'll be following this thread for sure hopefully we'll get some good input!

Buggheart
July 8th, 2011, 05:34 PM
That's definitely an issue for me so I have to just time my workouts just right. I must wash my hair daily as it's just too oily to go longer than 24 hours without a wash. So I try to work out in the AM and shower and wash my hair before work. I don't really do anything to protect my hair during workouts, just braid it or ponytail it as it's so hot here it has to be up off my neck.

gthlvrmx
July 8th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I do not worry about rushing to get my hair washed, boy that'd be a mistake!! I worry about my hair rubbing against so much, which in that case, i make a braided cinnabun or a nautilus to hold up. If i HAVE to lie down my head and have friction, i bring my satin pillowcase and put it under my head and let my braid out on it.

It's easier to stretch out washes if you're on break and away from people :p
I would just like to know the effects of the sweat that is left from exercising on the hair because i mean, it DOES leave a white rim on your shirts if you ever let it dry. I don't think it could be too bad, but still.

chahuahuas
July 8th, 2011, 05:49 PM
My hair LOVES excercise! I sweat in my pony tail, and when I take it down, it looks amazing and voluminous! My curls on the bottom are always preserved because they were in a ponytail and not a bun, and the sweated-in crown portion gets tons of lift.

Although... that might just be style and looks wise. I don't know if sweat is damaging to your hair. It could possibly dry it out a little, because sweat is salty. Maybe that's why my hair looks good, because it's like I misted my crown with salt water?

ETA: I looked it up, and I was right about the salt water. According to Wikipedia: Sweat contains mainly water. It also contains minerals, lactate, and urea. An indication of the minerals content is sodium (0.9 gram/liter), potassium (0.2 g/l), calcium (0.015 g/l), magnesium (0.0013 g/l).

So the minerals are a majority of sodium (salt), with some potassium, calcium & magnesium thrown in. Those 3 are the minerals present in smaller amounts in sea salt. So basically it's like sea salt water with some other stuff thrown in. If you think that salt water is damaging to your hair, then you would think sweat is damaging. If you're hair doesn't mind sea salt mists, then I think it's not so bad.

MidnightStar
July 8th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Wow, thanks for the responses! :D On occasion, if I go walking/running early in the morning, I can get away with not washing my hair and it doesn't look too awful - sometimes I just need to wash my bangs so they don't look greasy, and throw my hair up and call it a day. The sun also seems to dry my hair out a bit, too; I'm thinking of oiling or using some of Night Blooming's panacea before going out to see if that helps any. It's funny, because my hair LOVES salt water - but hates sweat, which as has been pointed out, is kinda salt water. :p
Also I've been thinking of just doing a water rinse instead of shampooing. I always pony my hair, but I'm curious - does anyone bun it with sticks? How do you keep it secure? If it's possible I'd love to transition to something like that; even though I use non-metallic elastics, I worry about the friction.

didrash
July 8th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I try to workout on my elliptical a few times a week, and I sweat a lot because I am quite overweight, so it's out of the question to do nothing at all to my hair. But I have noticed that if I go into the shower immediately after the workout, it is enough to just rinse the sweat out of my hair. Sometimes I also use conditioner. I only shampoo twice a week even if I workout every day. Of course, my hair is still short enough to air-dry in a reasonable time. I'll see what happens when it gets longer.
I am a hairsticks addict but I do not use them during workouts, not because they do not hold secure, but I prefer a ponytail to a bun during exercise.

Mymagicfairy
July 8th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I workout two times a day...I would rather do it once...but I homeschool my kids ...so busy...
And to do my entire workout..it's just too time consuming...so I do cardio in the morning..then weights or turbo jam DVD in the afternoon when schooling is done
I would love to shower twice
But do it every night
I try not to wash my hair daily...it being short...its hard to let it just be...
I am growing it out...and hoping once it's longer..I can put it up ans it will be easier
My routine..usually is ..shower daily
Hair evey other night...I use shampoo bars..sulfate free
I also condition...
I oil my hair once a week
Other than that...that's it

Audrey Horne
July 8th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I usually make a French/Dutch braid or two and if it's really hot outside then I bun it too. It sweats a lot in summer, no matter what :( I love caps! Then I don't have to wash more often. I lost my cap, though. Anyway I rinse my hair if my scalp is sweaty. I don't really know what else I can do.

seaj
July 8th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I use a bandanna to keep my hair out of my face when I do workout, and I prefer to either tie it up or dutch braid it down with the ends tucked under the bandanna to keep everything stationary. It does seem to hold heat in though. I have to at least rinse after serious sweating sessions, so I am sometimes guilty of skipping workouts in favor of preserving my hair.

ellen732
July 8th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I work out three times a week and those are the only days I wash my hair (CO). I usually wear my hair up in a high bun (pony tail with hair friendly elastic spun into a bun with a scrunchie over it). Every other week I do have to wash my hair though with an SLS free shampoo because the CO starts getting too heavy. The nights before my workout day I usually put EVOO in my hair as well.

chahuahuas
July 8th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I work out three times a week and those are the only days I wash my hair (CO). I usually wear my hair up in a high bun (pony tail with hair friendly elastic spun into a bun with a scrunchie over it). Every other week I do have to wash my hair though with an SLS free shampoo because the CO starts getting too heavy. The nights before my workout day I usually put EVOO in my hair as well.

How do you work out with a high bun?? You don't run, do you? I mean running, not elliptical, because I think there's less bouncing motion on the elliptical. I've tried running with a bun before, its so heavy that it hurts from all the bouncing, and it falls out really quickly.

Thats actually one thing I'm worried about with growing out my hair to my hips & beyond: I don't want to have to run with my ponytail all over my back! I can only put my ponytail up so high, eventually it will reach my shoulders and my back... and curly ponytails are itchy! If I french braid it, the braid will kill my curls AND I find that the braid tends to bounce on my back. And besides my ponytail being itchy on my back, its hard to do situps when I'm going to lay on my hair... another reason french braids would be a problem, the braid would be in the way of situps as well.

I feel like there will be no option to preserve my curls & keep them off my back and shoulders for running when I get longer hair :(

ellen732
July 8th, 2011, 07:47 PM
How do you work out with a high bun?? You don't run, do you? I mean running, not elliptical, because I think there's less bouncing motion on the elliptical. I've tried running with a bun before, its so heavy that it hurts from all the bouncing, and it falls out really quickly.

Thats actually one thing I'm worried about with growing out my hair to my hips & beyond: I don't want to have to run with my ponytail all over my back! I can only put my ponytail up so high, eventually it will reach my shoulders and my back... and curly ponytails are itchy! If I french braid it, the braid will kill my curls AND I find that the braid tends to bounce on my back. And besides my ponytail being itchy on my back, its hard to do situps when I'm going to lay on my hair... another reason french braids would be a problem, the braid would be in the way of situps as well.

I feel like there will be no option to preserve my curls & keep them off my back and shoulders for running when I get longer hair :(

Actually, I do run, among other workouts. Trust me, I don't wear the scruchie over the bun for a fashion statement, it holds.

chahuahuas
July 8th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Actually, I do run, among other workouts. Trust me, I don't wear the scruchie over the bun for a fashion statement, it holds.

Wow, you really have this down to a science then! Good for you. Maybe I'll have to look into your scrunchie/pony tail combo for if my hair reaches ridic lengths.

SC
July 8th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I usually go for braids that end up on ponytail or bun. It holds and doesn't look bad. I'd love to wear beak clips while exercising, but even if they would be all right on yoga, but running gets it into a whole new level (no beak clips for good).

Mesmerise
July 8th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I think just rinsing hair with water after exercising suffices for removing sweat. This way I can still wash my hair only every third day. Oh, and on days where I don't wash, I still usually do a quick ACV rinse!

MidnightStar
July 8th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Oh, ACV rinse...yes, I will need to try that!
My hair is just over waist-length, and when I walk I usually do a double pony so it doesn't end up trailing down my back or sticking. For running, I usually just let it be. And for yoga, which I'll be starting up again soon, I just do a pony, and by the time I'm ready for a shower (after the class and meditation portion!) my hair doesn't even need washing, unless it's a typical wash day. So I guess the lesson is to do yoga more often, LOL! :)