PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hair Style

xoxo
November 25th, 2008, 05:07 PM
So now that it's getting colder, what is your winter hair style?

Magicknthenight
November 25th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Well i have a flexi-8 in the mail. After returning twice i think i may have found the right size. I would like to keep being able to do my lazy bun but it has been falling out lately and is hard to redo with numb hands (from the cold). I want to get a Ficcare but i have to save up first. I have another pretty secure bun but i am not sure what its called. You twist it then wrap it around two fingers to make a loop and wrap the length around and then pull the loop down over it. I wish i had more winter up-dos since i don't want to be bothered redoing them. But i really only have a couple that i can do right. Hopefully when i get that flexi-8 it will secure some new hair styles. What are some of yours?

Tangles
November 25th, 2008, 05:20 PM
It's cold AND wet where I am. I've been at a loss! Cold dry weather is easy, I just wear it down or half down mostly. But when it's also wet, it becomes difficult. I'm thinking of just doing simple ballerina buns until this nasty spell ends.

joyfulmom4
November 25th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Oddly enough, I've been wearing many more updos lately. You'd think maybe I'd wear my hair down more, for warmth, but since I recently discovered LHC and all sorts of wonderful new updo ideas I've been wearing my hair up a lot more.

Darkhorse1
November 25th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I love leaving my hair loose! I know it sounds crazy, but I LOVE when the snow falls and sticks to the length of my ends. :) And the wind blows it around. I love the look of loose long hair under a tuk, but I have to tie mine back at work as it'll get too barn smelly and it's not safe to have it loose.

If it's a really blustery day, I put it up in a half do--half up, half down. Flexi or something else. I have lots of toys to choose from! :)

.Amanaka.
November 25th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I normally leave my hair up and protected, but lately I've been throwing it in a braid and shoving it under a hat. I get terrible hat head, but I'm warm.

AnneAdeline
November 25th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Just going about business as usual--keeping it up daily. Then again, I'm in SoCal, so not much cold. Today it was about 60F, which is considered "cold". I was freezing! Yep, I bet you all in the snowy places are laughing at me. ;)

Curlsgirl
November 25th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I guess my favorite one is a figure eight with a stick or sometimes a Flexi-8. I do wear it down some if I am not going to be outside in the wind. My second favorite one is a plain braid. I need some more styles in my selection but I don't like buns that much and my hair is still not long enough to do many others. It doesn't help that I am an updo idiot.

yrrebwartsymssi
November 25th, 2008, 08:28 PM
i just pull mine in a bun because i keep the length of my hair damp. My hair would freeze and chip off if it wasnt tucked under!!! Plus the cold dry air and hot dry air (from the heater) DESTROYS my hair

Katahdin
November 25th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I leave my hair down in the morning while I wait for the bus to keep warm, then once I'm at school I braid it, then take it down while I wait for the bus to take me back home, then braid it again once I'm home, or put it up in a bun.

Vitalai
November 25th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Just going about business as usual--keeping it up daily. Then again, I'm in SoCal, so not much cold. Today it was about 60F, which is considered "cold". I was freezing! Yep, I bet you all in the snowy places are laughing at me. ;)

Same here, hehe. I was so cold! I forgot my sweatshirt in my locker. :doh:

I've been putting my hair in a ponytail as usual, but on good hair days, I like leaving my hair in a half-up.

Carina
November 25th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I put my hair up in a bun or a braid.My hair gets a one way ticket to static city when it is cold outside.Hate static hair:justy::steam

sahiba
November 25th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Same as summer... my daily wear bun.;)

Pierre
November 26th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I stuff my loose hair in a Buff, with the two Mini Maxes to keep it out of my eyes. If it gets warm indoors (it's been 30 in the computer room and 0 out), I make a bun with a hair scroo.

Sarahmoon
November 26th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Mostly braids and stuff. Little to no updos cause then I can't get my hat over my ears.

Islandgrrl
November 26th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Not much variety for me. If it's super cold I put it into a loose braid and then stuff the braid up under my hat. If I'm not wearing a hat, then I put it into a bun of some sort. I have a calorimetry this winter, though, so it may change how I wear my hair a little. I don't know yet!

Jessikinz
November 26th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Well usually for winter I simply can't leave my hair down and lose. Mostly it goes up in a bun of some sort or in a braid. There isn't much variety in styles for me, because I simply don't have enough patience for anything else. Weekends, or on rare weekday mornings, I will dutch or french braid my hair. I don't normally wear hats in the winter, so to protect my braid I put it in my nice warm coat. This winter I want to try out more styles though.

Rhaenys
November 26th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I just put my hair in a bun, I think is safer, not getting tangled or anything :)

yogachic
November 26th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I wear my hair up for work. At home it is down, unless I am cleaning and its in my face. I need it for warmth.

kirky
November 26th, 2008, 09:10 AM
My styles don't change much in the winter. I usually continue to keep to my regular styles, as I dont wear a hat very often. If I am going to be outside for a long period of time, I will usually braid it or leave it down so I can wear a toque.

wintersun99
November 26th, 2008, 11:07 AM

xoxo
November 26th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Hair can be so fun to play with isn't it :) I'm one of those people who gets cold really easily, really fast! Most of the time I just wear my hair down for the warmth. Lately I've been looking for ways to spice things up a bit but still simple. Sometimes I do lil' braids here and there or I'll use a nice scarf as a head band with hair down. I like to leave my hair flow freely

LaurelSpring
November 26th, 2008, 12:18 PM
No advice here, I bought a couple very cute winter hats, I wear them everyday, all day :D

I thought about doing this. I was wondering about a good indoor outdoor all day hat. Do you have any action pics?

wintersun99
November 26th, 2008, 12:21 PM
No personal shots, but I bought something very similar to THIS (http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2977002/0~2376779~6008000~2378827?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2378827&P=2) except I bought mine at Target (last year) and without the "shimmering dots" :D

sneakybea
November 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
A hat is a must here in Minnesota, and I usually wear a cinnamon bun or figure eight held with a fork or shortish sticks under a really big hat. I made a Calorimetry last year, and just finished a Hannah hat, so I'm hoping I can vary my updos somewhat, and include larger/fancier sticks. It will be nice not to look like I have a misshapen head!

jojo
November 26th, 2008, 04:37 PM
a braid bun seems to be my most common hair updo in summer and winter but in winter I put a woolly hat over the top which makes the back of my head look deformed but i am warm!

Meshi
December 9th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I'm going to college in Boston, and it's gotten down to 15 degrees here, not including wind chill. I mostly left my hair down for "ear warmth," as advised by friends, but it can be way too windy to leave it that way. Wind=tangle city, as I found out the hard way. :rolleyes: Probably good to put the hair in a braid or bun and get some good mileage out of a nice hat (despite their humorous deformity factor).

viking_quest
December 9th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I'll probably be keeping it down most of the time except when my hair is wet, then I'll probably pony it or braid it.

Angellen
December 9th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I have been going hat-free most of the time, but it isn't that cold here (compared to most of you, anyway). As for styles, I'm not very good and usually don't have the time or patience in the morning, so I usually wear either a cinnabun or a folded braid. I think my new years resolution will be to learn more everyday styles. :p

longhairenvy
December 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM
WOW, joyfulmom, I LOVE your updo you posted. ...what is that comb you have holding up ALL THAT HAIR???? It's lovely. I don't think my fumble fingers will ever get the hang of doing my hair once it's long enough. I can barely french braid it properly.

Igor
December 9th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Lots of hats! :wink:
I’m a big fan of making two braids started pretty high and then tucking them up under a hat. Other than that I find tucking your braid under your coat is good too (although I usually tuck it between my shirt and sweater instead) especially when wearing a hooded coat
Buns are really good too. I combine them with my “fur” scrunchies a lot because they keep my head warmer
Another point would be using fabric headbands, they don’t cover that much, but its still better than nothing

Elichan
December 10th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Braid at home, when it's windy and when my hair becames to be oily, if not... I wear it down most of the time, maybe a semi-updo when I'm tired of finding my hairs everywhere around me... :p

Darkhorse1
December 10th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I leave it loose or half up when doing regular errands outside, loose when home and in a braided style at the barn/work. I find if I leave it loose at the barn, the knots are brutal!

Stagecoach
December 10th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I wear it up pretty much all the time. Cinna buns and braided stick buns are my main styles.

ssjhotau2
December 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM
My hair isn't long enough yet to bun and has too many layers to braid. Mostly I put it in a ponytail but only twist the hairband once, then wrap the length around the ponytail and then twist the hair band a second time.
It would keep it up all day if I would stop fidgeting with it.

JamieLeigh
December 10th, 2008, 09:25 AM
You'd think that as cold as it is, I'd be wearing my hair loose most often...but I've met a lot of awesome new people, have seen so many great pics of updo's. So I've been trying them all out! But I'm sure, as there is plenty of winter left, I'll reach the end of them all, and wear it loose. I will say it's great to have butt-length hair in the cold weather...it sure does keep you warm!! :D

Xandergrammy
December 10th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Same as summer- bun or braid for work, loose side braid at home.