PDA

View Full Version : EEK, Exfoliate Hair?

morguebabe
November 25th, 2008, 11:14 AM
So I was reading a Cosmo Syle and Beauty in the lunch room, and I came across an article called How to Exfoilate your hair.
http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/08/16/oscar-blandis-bland-advice-exfoliate-your-hair/
I just went back to get it, but the magaizne has been moved and that link is all I could find on it, but um it says to TEASE your hair and comb counterlockwise to reduce damage.

:o People beilive that?

2luvmycurls
November 25th, 2008, 11:19 AM
lol! Oh my! That sure sounds counterproductive to me at least!

morguebabe
November 25th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I'm really annoyed the magainze isn't there I'm telling you it was there 5 minutes ago! Sigh. It was all about to how to 'fix post summer damage'... somehow teasing your hair fixes damage? LOL.

Alia
November 25th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Oh, my, time to fix my hair and treat it right...RIP, RIP, RIP!:scared:

Fillette
November 25th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Oh, my, time to fix my hair and treat it right...RIP, RIP, RIP!:scared:
Hehehe! that's hilarious!:rollin:

HairColoredHair
November 25th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah! Yeah, yeah wait... No.

No! Silly peoples!

Hypnotica
November 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM
How can a reputable salon owner and hair dresser EVER recommend this?!

lyria
November 25th, 2008, 03:17 PM
OMG! That sounds painful! I cringe just thinking about it! shudder:

ktani
November 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I wrote articles for a hairdressing magazine years ago, and I remember being horrified at the information I got from a stylist, (I did not put it into the article I was interviewing for at the time).

He said to me that he encouraged his stylists to recommend double processing and/or to leave a process on the hair a little longer than needed, just so they could sell more conditioners and treatments.

Horrified is an understatement as to how I felt. Needless to say, I would never let anyone at his salon touch my hair and this at the time, was a top rated salon, and the stylist was well known.

Vitalai
November 25th, 2008, 04:35 PM
That is cringe inducing. :scared:

Euphony
November 25th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I wrote articles for a hairdressing magazine years ago, and I remember being horrified at the information I got from a stylist, (I did not put it into the article I was interviewing for at the time).

He said to me that he encouraged his stylists to recommend double processing and/or to leave a process on the hair a little longer than needed, just so they could sell more conditioners and treatments.

Horrified is an understatement as to how I felt. Needless to say, I would never let anyone at his salon touch my hair and this at the time, was a top rated salon, and the stylist was well known.
This does not surprise me!

You know I've always found the best stylists generally work at or own a hole in the wall. They are the ones that listen to you, they are the ones not trying to sell you tons of product. Sometimes they might not be able to do a fancy cut or something of the sort. But I'm not there for a fancy cut, I'm there for someone to listen to me and give me a teeny trim.

The girl that does my hair was watching me detangle my hair, I put a smidge of almond oil in my hands, rubbed them together, ran it through my hair then gently combed my hair. She said ~ Wow, that works really well and it's got to be much better for your hair than a commercial detangler. Some snooty salon probably would've gasped at what I was doing and try to sell me $30 an ounce detangler.

Friesiangirl
November 25th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Gosh, glad I have no fashion sense :)

Hayley

AnneAdeline
November 25th, 2008, 06:05 PM
That's horrible. *Shields hair*

girlcat36
November 25th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Eeeewww! The idea of combing backwards just gives me the chills!

justgreen
November 25th, 2008, 06:21 PM
My hairdresser exfoliated my hair last week, before she put the dark foils in. It really helps the color stick. BUT she didn't use that method, she used a product.

Lamb
November 25th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Something like this?
http://community.livejournal.com/beauty101/7052428.html

Sounds like the stupidest idea.

Forever_Sophie
November 25th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Insane! Speaking of backcombing - I love my stylist, but last wk I asked what she thought about hot rollers or velcro, etc. for volume. She advised BACKCOMBING! I was kinda like, "okay..." She was like, "You know how to do that, right?" I asked if it's what it sounds like, and she proceeded to demonstrate...twice.

But I do love her, she doesn't push products though she works in a...known salon. Sweetest chica ever.

ktani
November 25th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Anything that really exfoliates hair is damaging it. The chemicals in certain hair colours are there to open the cuticles to help dye penetrate.

I cannot believe (but of course I do), that anyone would promote or use such damaging products (exfoliators) on someone professionally but there you go.

I should not be surprised by anything by now, lol.

Carina
November 25th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Exfoliate my scalp okey but my hair?:crazyq:.I don't think so ever.

Tangles
November 25th, 2008, 09:51 PM
It's a shame, because I really like the feel of going to a salon and being "pampered" a bit, but stuff like this confirms my desire not to go back to one anytime soon. Self trimming to me was some sort of revolution, haha. Very empowering.

nienna42
November 25th, 2008, 10:50 PM
The one time I lightly backcombed my hair, it took several sessions to get the knots out, and I ended up ripping out huge chunks of hair.

*shudders* I really, really hope no one takes this advice seriously.

sahiba
November 25th, 2008, 11:07 PM
:blueeek: Thats the last thing I would ever do to my hair.

ilovelonghair
November 26th, 2008, 12:08 AM

Sounds like the thing I once overheard a hairdresser saying. She said that when placing hair extensions, sometimes you accidently burn trough the lock you're putting the extension in, but that it's best to let that hair (yes the clients hair!) fall on the floor and kick it away with your foot and client will never know..........

*SHIVER*

Aditi
November 26th, 2008, 12:09 AM
How can a reputable salon owner and hair dresser EVER recommend this?!
That means that the hair dresser and all are not perfectly trained ones.

ktani
November 26th, 2008, 01:33 AM
That means that the hair dresser and all are not perfectly trained ones.

To me, that is not about training. It is about ethics or lack thereof.

And IMO, it is most definitely about money, more specifically, greed.

ktani
November 26th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Exfoliate my scalp okey but my hair?:crazyq:.I don't think so ever.

You cannot exfoliate the scalp chemically IMO, without exfoliationg the hair nor do I think you can you exfoliate the scalp mechanically with abrasives, like undissolved baking soda, without exfoliating the hair either.

vampodrama
November 26th, 2008, 01:40 AM
To me, that is not about training. It is about ethics or lack thereof.

And IMO, it is most definitely about money, more specifically, greed.

actually it IS the training they receive. and who usually trains the stylists and hairdressers? the manufacturers/representatives of hair products. so the "training" that the stylists undergo is all about why "their" product is good and consequently all other products are bad. so the more "training" they get, the more brainwashed they become. it is very sad, but true. I have heard from many hairdressers that one should never under any circumstances use oils or henna or any natural stuff, because it's soooooo damaging and the only thing one can use are the products they sell in the salons.

so yes. it is about the money. and lack of PROPER education - they poor stylists have no idea how human hair really works, all they know is what they hear from product manufacturers.

ktani
November 26th, 2008, 03:12 AM
actually it IS the training they receive. and who usually trains the stylists and hairdressers? the manufacturers/representatives of hair products. so the "training" that the stylists undergo is all about why "their" product is good and consequently all other products are bad. so the more "training" they get, the more brainwashed they become. it is very sad, but true. I have heard from many hairdressers that one should never under any circumstances use oils or henna or any natural stuff, because it's soooooo damaging and the only thing one can use are the products they sell in the salons.

so yes. it is about the money. and lack of PROPER education - they poor stylists have no idea how human hair really works, all they know is what they hear from product manufacturers.

I am not referring to bad training or incorrect information. And I believe that most stylists are honest, hard working individuals, with the best of intentions.

I am referring to the very small minority IMO, who deliberately damage hair to sell product, to make extra money.

Unofficial_Rose
November 26th, 2008, 04:13 AM

That is just shocking. I have been to salons that seem to be trying their best to murder my hair e.g. bleach + heat for 1 hour, shampoo aggressively, blowdry to within inch of your life then get the straighteners on it. Now I know why :disgust: Explains why so many people have damaged-looking hair, too.

Pegasus Marsters
November 26th, 2008, 04:26 AM
I fail to see the point of exfoliating hair.

ktani
November 26th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I fail to see the point of exfoliating hair.

There isn't one IMO, if you want healthy hair. I have met people who torture their hair through all kinds of things like excessive colour and bleach, styling and whatever because to them it is "just hair" and the end result justifies the means, as an effect they want, as part of their personal style.

They are not LHC members, lol.

ktani
November 26th, 2008, 07:44 AM
That is just shocking. I have been to salons that seem to be trying their best to murder my hair e.g. bleach + heat for 1 hour, shampoo aggressively, blowdry to within inch of your life then get the straighteners on it. Now I know why :disgust: Explains why so many people have damaged-looking hair, too.

If the salons you describe then pushed product to condition and treat hair, that is possible, IMO.

To me they are the exceptions, certainly not the rule.

I did not mean to imply that it is a stylist conspiracy within the industry. You get unscupulous people in any profession.

Curlsgirl
November 26th, 2008, 08:34 AM

This is BEYOND sickening!!! :shudder:

ktani
November 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM
This is BEYOND sickening!!! :shudder:

Yes, it most certainly is IMO. The sadder side of human nature.

ktani
November 26th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I have posted this story before on the boards, but it never got this kind of response.

ETA: It may have been my story telling style back then, lol.

Carina
November 26th, 2008, 10:43 AM
You cannot exfoliate the scalp chemically IMO, without exfoliationg the hair nor do I think you can you exfoliate the scalp mechanically with abrasives, like undissolved baking soda, without exfoliating the hair either.

I agree with you 100%.But it sounds so wacko to exfoliate hair.

ktani
November 26th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I agree with you 100%.But it sounds so wacko to exfoliate hair.

Exactly.

Translation:
Someone came up with an idea to make money at the expense of the hair care ignorant or those who just don't hair care, lol.

Sarahmoon
November 26th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Judging from the comments in those 2 links, even people with a lot less knowledge about hair care than the people on this forum don't take that hair exfoliate thing seriously. That makes me feel a bit better about it.

camillacamilla
November 26th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Wow, that is scary. I could see clarifying your hair as "exfoliating", but to back comb? No way! Why would I want my hair cuticles open and roughed up? What is sad is that some people will take the back combing advice as gospel and believe it helps their hair. :confused:

ktani
November 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Wow, that is scary. I could see clarifying your hair as "exfoliating", but to back comb? No way! Why would I want my hair cuticles open and roughed up? What is sad is that some people will take the back combing advice as gospel and believe it helps their hair. :confused:

Clarifying is simply removing build-up up which I think you know. Exfoliating is something else all together.

Deborah
November 26th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I'm with you Morguebabe. These people are either nuts or crooks, and quite possibly both.