PDA

View Full Version : "High" updos?

UrbanEast
March 8th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I've found that the updos that look best on me are the ones that sit high up on the back of the head. Wearing my hair hack seems more flattering to my features if you can see the "bun" (or wrap or whatever) from the front.

Some examples are the photo Spidermom has in her profile and the updo that Aine posted in a thread below:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2337/2318435287_8bbe6944ba.jpg

Does anyone know of any poofy, "high" updos that are practical for everyday? Do you need a scruncy or elastic to get them to hold so high up on the head?

The Flame
March 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I consider my updos in the high category---but I don't really see them when I look straight into the mirror. Chin down slightly and they are visible. I NEVER wear my hair pulled into a low bun or infinity. The high do seems to lift my face and be more flattering while the lower one pulls my features down. I think a high updo is certainly practical for everyday.

jessie58
March 8th, 2008, 11:37 AM
How long is your hair Urban East? I guess the style depends on the length a lot of the time. I really prefer high buns on myself too. It's much softer and more flattering on me.

I have outgrown peacock twists now at 28 inches and yesterday I made a very loose cinnabun on the top of my head, more to the crown and secured it with a Ficcare. It was a secure bun on top and the hair around my head was loose and soft, I spritzed my curls to bring them out.

The day before I made a peacock twist and spritzed the heck out of the peacock part so it would curl and scrunched down as much as I could so the curly part would be right at the crown of my head. It was very nice but most days is too long and won't hold very well.

You can also brush it into a ponytail at the crown of your head and arrange it into whatever style you want, such as braids, loose curls or tightly twisted buns. Then secure with bobby pins.

FrannyG
March 8th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I really wish that we had profile lengths and hairtypes on our posts the way we used to.

In any case, without knowing what your hair is like, I can make two suggestions. One is a sock bun, and the other is a regular cinnamon bun made high up. When they're up high like that sometimes a few tendrils escape and make it look so soft and pretty.

jessie58
March 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I really wish that we had profile lengths and hairtypes on our posts the way we used to.

In any case, without knowing what your hair is like, I can make two suggestions. One is a sock bun, and the other is a regular cinnamon bun made high up. When they're up high like that sometimes a few tendrils escape and make it look so soft and pretty.

Hey franny, the sock bun is a good idea but you better watch out who tries it. Some ladies have such thick and long hair, that their bun is bigger than their head, lol.

I really would like to see hairtypes and length here too.

UrbanEast
March 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the replies, ladies--sorry, I should have mentioned my stats. My hair is between waist and tailbone--is that hip length? I had a hard time measuring it, but it's about 33".

For those of you who do high updos, do you all use Ficcares? The hairsticks don't seem to hold anything that high.

Jessie, I like the look of the peakock twists too, but my hair is too long for them now.

Flame, what kind of high updo do you do?

Franny, I'd like to try something poofier than a cinnabun--maybe something non-twisted.

jessie58
March 8th, 2008, 12:23 PM
UrbanEast, I do use sticks but I love them and can put them in high buns, low buns and half ups and braided buns. I imagine when I get to your length, that might change. I love the weddingish picture that you posted and wish I could do something along those lines daily. When I first started putting my hair up, the kids kept saying that I had grad hair and asking why I was all dolled up. Now they're used to it and no longer think it's fancy.

Can you do a modified log roll with the ends sticking up like a peacock twist?

Delila
March 8th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I think my hairs a touch longer than yours just now, but I like high updos too.

In recent months I've enjoyed the knot bun, mostly because it's just so easy.

I haven't trimmed my hair in a while and find that every few months I have to adapt my daily updo to help make room for the extra length. (Whee!)

I keep meaning to try an updo from the Beauty Bottle discussions, the Equilibrium bun (http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=1605)

The Flame
March 8th, 2008, 12:58 PM
My quickie do is a figure 8. I start with a high pony and then turn the loop down and secure with a very sharp wooden stick. I know that some people start with a lower pony tail and turn them up, but doing it this second way angles my side hair downward. I like to angle the side hair upward. Make sense?

cindy58
March 8th, 2008, 01:44 PM
For those of you who do high updos, do you all use Ficcares? The hairsticks don't seem to hold anything that high.

I don't have a Ficcare -- hair sticks work for me, even just one. The only exception to this is a few junky plastic ones that I have. My hair is a couple of inches shy of waist and reasonably thick.

TammySue
March 8th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Tessa, I was laughing reading what you said about the sock bun!
I made one a long time ago and still have the picture. Look! It's HUGE! LOL!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/missgunnesax/100_0060.jpg

UrbanEast
March 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Delila,

In recent months I've enjoyed the knot bun, mostly because it's just so easy.

Which knot bun is this? There was a demo of the celtic knot but I just couldn't get it.

jessie58
March 8th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Thanks for sharing that little snowman hairdo Tammy,lol :p

capelli lunghi
March 8th, 2008, 06:18 PM
You could do a puffy bun! Those start out with a pony tail, placed as high as you wish, then flip the tail forward over your head, insert a comb above/in front of your pony tail holder, then flip your hair back normal.. roll and tuck it under.. It looks really cute!

jessie58
March 8th, 2008, 06:22 PM
You could do a puffy bun! Those start out with a pony tail, placed as high as you wish, then flip the tail forward over your head, insert a comb above/in front of your pony tail holder, then flip your hair back normal.. roll and tuck it under.. It looks really cute!

capelli, that sounds very nice, but I am stupid when it comes to directions. Do you have any pics? Is it sort of like a gibson tuck but not.

Elle
March 8th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I've found that the updos that look best on me are the ones that sit high up on the back of the head. Wearing my hair hack seems more flattering to my features if you can see the "bun" (or wrap or whatever) from the front.

Some examples are the photo Spidermom has in her profile and the updo that Aine posted in a thread below:

Does anyone know of any poofy, "high" updos that are practical for everyday? Do you need a scruncy or elastic to get them to hold so high up on the head?
I wonder how this is done. I love it! :grin:

Curlsgirl
March 8th, 2008, 07:59 PM
My hair is thick and 29 inches and I have discovered I can still do a peacock twist. I just twist my hair more and then use a claw at the crown of my head and let the hair curl down over it. I can see doing this for a very long time because you could just twist or fold more. I get a lot of compliments on this. If you want to hide the claw clip you can place a few pins around it and it looks like a cute messy or puffy bun.

capelli lunghi
March 8th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I wonder how this is done. I love it! :grin:From just looking at the pic.. I would say you could get a similar effect by making kind of like a loose sock bun.. but leave a little section out of the back.. and fold that over itself to make the poof.. Shoot.. I'll have to draw something up or take pics to get this across.. LOL.. I think it is doable! lol

jessie58
March 8th, 2008, 08:12 PM
You're right capelli lunghi, that does look like a sock bun with the excess hair looped over top. I always marvel at the smoothness and tidyness of straight hair. My hair would need to be straightened before trying that style.

Elle
March 8th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks, CL. I'm going to give this a try tomorrow. :)

jessie58
March 8th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I've been inspired by this thread to try a couple of high updo's tonight and they were both really nice. Just loose buns twisted and clipped with a Ficcare. I suppose tomorrow I'll have no luck though. Why can I always make really cool styles at bedtime?

UrbanEast
March 9th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Can some of the wrapped buns be done high up?

Capelli, I'd love to hear more details on this too.

Katze
March 9th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I don't like regular buns, but I just found something this weekend that was VERY high (it looked like I had a hair rat or bun filler or sock under there, but really just had hair that had dried to "big"). Got a lot of compliments on it, including from two people who have both told me my hair is too thin!

Hairdos like the pic you posted can look very elegant, but it is extremely hard for me to get my wispy, messy, frizzy, wavy, fine hair to lay that smooth - so the messy 'do is the way to go.

Hair was partially dried with the blowdryer (I was in a hurry; mostly blowdried my ears and scalp, with low heat) but also air dried, and I used hair gel mixed with coconut oil on the length but also the crown.

I went and had a massage, and my hair dried piled on top of my head and partially held in an elastic, and it dried that way. When I got home it was HUGE - unmaneageable, wild, big.

So I pulled the top straight back, combined this with the rest of my hair, and secured it into a messy twist with a ficcare. Because I have so many layers, wisps, uneven growing out lengths, bangs, etc. I put a stiff plastic headband on to contain them in the front and used my two minimax Ficcares (long bobby pins would also work) to hold all my nape hairs up. Oh, and I also misted heavily before putting it up each time.

The 'do looked really good, though seeing my hair from the front like that was a bit of a shock - I kind of felt like Amy Winehouse. But the 'do worked well, held fairly well, and I could redo the headband and the small Ficcares to re-contain the wisps.

I'm going to use a 'do like this more as a way of containing freshly washed hair, as the height/placement was flattering to my face and head.

UrbanEast
March 9th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Jessie,

Why can I always make really cool styles at bedtime?

The same always happens to me LOL!

Which buns did you try?

Dvips
March 9th, 2008, 03:19 PM
UrbanEast, as far as I know, you can do any of the buns up high.
I do a Double-looped Knot (which is a wrapped bun) high by just starting with a high ponytail. I'll se if I can find the directions for the DLK, but I haven't wandered around the archives yet...

UrbanEast
March 9th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks, Dvips. I'd like to learn more about the knot hairstyles. I can't wait until the archives come back so that I can see some of the photo tutorials.

I tried doing a "soft nautilus" up high but a thin hairstick (the Ma Fei) didn't hold the way it does when I make it closer to the nape. Looks like the Ficcare may be the best route.

Dvips
March 9th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Sorry - couldn't access it (or at least, couldn't figure out how to access it :p )

Well... at least it gives you something to look forward to!

zaftig2k
March 9th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I too wear high buns or updos. Buns at the nape of my neck look too severe on me.

jessie58
March 10th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Jessie,

The same always happens to me LOL!

Which buns did you try?

Well I just pulled my hair up and started twisting and turning it into shapes and securing it with a Ficcare or some sticks. The next nice one I make, I'll post a pic here. I hope you guys will post pics too.

I saw Capelli Lunghi's gorgeous high bun that she posted in another thread. I forget where though.

capelli lunghi
March 10th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I saw Capelli Lunghi's gorgeous high bun that she posted in another thread. I forget where though.

:o .. lol

Here is my photo album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=60).. There are a couple pics.. I plan to make a tutorial for all my styles.. but there is one currently in my blog! HTH!

jessie58
March 11th, 2008, 01:09 AM
That's the one CL, thanks. I thought I might have seen it on the updo thread or in a random thread.

beledigrrl
March 13th, 2008, 02:08 PM

I'm the way with my updo styling preferences. My favorite and updo is an afro puff and some braided variation thereof. The downside is that as my hair gets longer it's not as kinky as before my beloved puff sometimes comes out looking rather floppy...sigh. Back to the drawing board.

AutumnLeaves
March 13th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I also tend to wear high buns when my hair is long enough. I also love plain old ponies. Something so ingenious about them and carefree and playful. I also wear those pretty high as well. I can't wait for my hair to grow long enough to do an updo of some sort or other!

sapphire-o
March 13th, 2008, 04:53 PM
How do you all manage to wear high buns without looking old-fashioned or stern? I can't do any loose updos or my bun would fall down. A tight bun on top of my head makes me look VERY serious. :)

jessie58
March 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM
How do you all manage to wear high buns without looking old-fashioned or stern? I can't do any loose updos or my bun would fall down. A tight bun on top of my head makes me look VERY serious. :)

Sapphire-o with your length and the smoothness of your hair, I can see problems with keeping loose styles on top of your head. I guess you have to make them pretty tight in order to stay up and then that gives the serious appearance. I wonder if you could make a style such as the one in the photo in the original post. That looks impossible for me to do with shorter and curly/frizzy hair.

UrbanEast
March 13th, 2008, 05:59 PM

I'm wondering about this too. I'd love to see a loose high bun.

Wavelength
March 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I've been inspired by this thread to try a couple of high updo's tonight and they were both really nice. Just loose buns twisted and clipped with a Ficcare. I suppose tomorrow I'll have no luck though. Why can I always make really cool styles at bedtime?

Amen, sister! This happens to me ALL the time -- and of course in the morning I'm all thumbs again. Sooo frustrating! :mad:

Just goes to prove I'm not a morning person!

PseudoScot
March 19th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Same here! I think it's partially because at night I'm not as picky about the results I get LOL.

I don't do low buns, I guess I do middle buns. I'd like to try some higher updos but also have the stern librarian look - but that's OK with me!

Tangles
November 16th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread... found a lovely picture of French actress Catherine Deneuve with the loose high updo some of you were looking for!
http://www.vibewire.net/Members/Life/CatherineDeneuve.jpg

I recreated it by putting my hair in a loose ponytail and sliding down the elastic, then pinning it up. Great for shorter hair and very casual looking. :)

HotRag
November 16th, 2008, 10:50 PM
A braided bun, with or without an elastic at the base.
These I did sometimes when I had long hair more than 10 years ago.
Start the braid (or pony) high.

I more often made a twisted and folded bun thing that I secured with a slide (flexi8 looking thing) or claw clips real high up, usually on top cause I couldn't manage to fold away the ends.
It was like a french twist but the top wasn't folded/twisted, but put on top of head as a coiled thing.

Once I did this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1255&pictureid=24358
This is made by first making a high pony. Then divide the length into three.
Then make a cinnabun of each of the three pieces.
I made them so the ends was in the middle (cause that caused less ends to point everywhere).
The cinnabuns are secured with bobby pin, but maybe it would be better with amish pin-like pins.

misstwist
November 17th, 2008, 08:34 AM
When I'm working a corporate event I tend to use a puffy bun with the fold over pretty visible on my head.

I prefer something high on the crown in general, but I need to make a ponytail base first and prefer not to do that everyday.

For a braided bun, I make a ponytail on the crown and braid it out into two or three braids. When they are wrapped around the base they stay without any additional fasteners.

arylkin
November 17th, 2008, 08:36 AM
A braided bun, with or without an elastic at the base.
These I did sometimes when I had long hair more than 10 years ago.
Start the braid (or pony) high.

I more often made a twisted and folded bun thing that I secured with a slide (flexi8 looking thing) or claw clips real high up, usually on top cause I couldn't manage to fold away the ends.
It was like a french twist but the top wasn't folded/twisted, but put on top of head as a coiled thing.

Once I did this:
I made them so the ends was in the middle (cause that caused less ends to point everywhere).
The cinnabuns are secured with bobby pin, but maybe it would be better with amish pin-like pins.

That's beautiful! I'm going to have to try something like that! :)

Themyst
November 17th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I'm resurrecting this thread... found a lovely picture of French actress Catherine Deneuve with the loose high updo some of you were looking for!
http://www.vibewire.net/Members/Life/CatherineDeneuve.jpg

I recreated it by putting my hair in a loose ponytail and sliding down the elastic, then pinning it up. Great for shorter hair and very casual looking. :)

I love that one! I cannot wear my hair in a low or mid-bun, either. I look so much better with a crown of hair.

I do not wear elastics to tie my hair back - I just gather it all in a high ponytail (no band), twist the entire length loosely, and then wrap it all around the base of the ponytail. But then I have all these new hairs, 2, 3 & 4" long toward the front that kind of curl and stick out.

This is where my problem lies as my hair gets longer and longer - What to secure it with? I am currently using two jaw clips, one up and one below the bun. I don't know how to describe the clips - they're not the solid ones, they look more like a hollow 'C'. So the clips are not as imposing as you might think, but still, more imposing than I'd like. I've heard everyone speak of hair sticks so much that I'm dying to try some of those. I only have some of the cheap plastic ones laying around from years ago.

joyfulmom4
November 17th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I am just learning to do some more interesting updos. For a long time all I knew how to do was an ordinary cinnabun or braided bun. Since discovering LHC, I'm trying lots of new styles. It's a lot of fun. :)

I too, have discovered that I prefer higher buns and a softer look than pulled back tight. B/c of the shape of my face and head, it's more flattering and seems to open up/lift up my face more instead of dragging my features down and making me look more severe/old.

I just discovered that if I begin my updos by leaning forward and combing out my hair "upside down" then gathering it into a ponytail in my hand at the top back of my crown (rather than combing out down and gathering at my neck or back of head to begin the pony) then the updo ends up sitting higher, yet pretty secure, and the hair all around the bun seems to naturally fluff out.

You can see pics in my updos album showing my attempt at a loose, high cinnabun yesterday. Mine is quite fluffy, almost victorian looking (my MIL called it "geisha hair") but you could tone down the fluff. I'll probably make it a little tighter next time I wear this way.

But I think if you start your do w/ the hair combed up like that, you'll have the look you want and can do w/ many different bun styles.

sahiba
November 17th, 2008, 09:32 AM

I like it.Makes you look sweet.:)

Once I did this:
The cinnabuns are secured with bobby pin, but maybe it would be better with amish pin-like pins.[/QUOTE]

Thats a nice updo. Got to try it.

Katze
November 17th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Some really great ideas here! As I start forcing my unruly hair to be up sometimes, I also find that messy, high updos suit me MUCH better than anything else. I prefer to secure them with one of my "beak" shaped Ficcares, though the other kinds work well too. Several mini claw clips are another good look, and sometimes I add a headband.

Lately I've been using them for another purpose, too: sleep! When I put my hair, loosely coiled into such a 'do - VERY high on my head, like almost forehead, held with claw clip - it looks ridiculous and my head like an onion, but it keeps my hair out of the way and gives me wonderful soft waves and smoother, softer hair.

LaurelSpring
November 17th, 2008, 10:38 AM

Great idea! I get this. Im going to try it when I get home. I love these simple ideas that I never think of myself. Thanks for sharing!

jessie58
November 17th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Very pretty Hot Rag.

Thanks for the CD link Tangles.

Hypnotica
November 17th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Well, the french twist bun are nice for a high updo...

Tangles
November 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I love that one! I cannot wear my hair in a low or mid-bun, either. I look so much better with a crown of hair.

I do not wear elastics to tie my hair back - I just gather it all in a high ponytail (no band), twist the entire length loosely, and then wrap it all around the base of the ponytail. But then I have all these new hairs, 2, 3 & 4" long toward the front that kind of curl and stick out.

This is where my problem lies as my hair gets longer and longer - What to secure it with? I am currently using two jaw clips, one up and one below the bun. I don't know how to describe the clips - they're not the solid ones, they look more like a hollow 'C'. So the clips are not as imposing as you might think, but still, more imposing than I'd like. I've heard everyone speak of hair sticks so much that I'm dying to try some of those. I only have some of the cheap plastic ones laying around from years ago.

I'm with you, I need to invest in short hair sticks. Seems you can't do anything without them. Then again, I'm still only at APL and can hardly do any updos. I might ask for hairsticks for Christmas :)

missmanytoes
November 18th, 2008, 08:05 PM

LOL!! :D I make the best buns late at night and then in the daytime... turd bun!