PDA

View Full Version : Photo Gallery?

FrannyG
March 7th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I don't know if I'm losing my eyesight, or if there is not a photo gallery section. I understand that the old photo threads are unavailable, but will we be having photo journals?

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I think Steph had mentioned a photo album, but I'm not sure that got implemented.

ETA: The first few posts here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6)might help you!

FrannyG
March 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Thank you so much Snowbear. You're amazing!:)

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Aww, you're welcome!

It's kind of fun after a site upgrade to help people out. It's a lot of refreshing my UserCP to see updated threads, and checking for new posts. I'm typing a mile a minute, too. :lol:

dancingbarefoot
March 7th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Between photo albums and real blogs instead of journals (i.e., commenting is enabled), everything the photo galleries did is covered.

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM
The journals have comments? AWESOME!

Snowymoon
March 7th, 2008, 07:24 PM
::waves::

Whew. Glad I found my way here. :)

MusingFrog
March 7th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Uh...the journals will have comments???? Ok...I'll get used to that....

AutumnLeaves
March 7th, 2008, 07:52 PM
You can turn off the comments section in your blog options! I'm still not seeing the photo journals...but off to check Snowbear's link...

dancingbarefoot
March 7th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Uh...the journals will have comments???? Ok...I'll get used to that....

Yes. They're actual blogs now, with commenting, RSS capability, etc. You can decide whether or not to allow comments on your own blog. Just look under blog options.

Shermie Girl
March 7th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I still can't find the photo albums. I looked in my User CP over and over. And I blind, as well as stupid? :confused:

Alley Cat
March 7th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Can't see them either:confused:

curls2grow
March 7th, 2008, 08:29 PM
3 of us challenged there, then.

Flaxen
March 7th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Click on "blogs" from the top banner. Also, from "quick links" up there, click on "pictures and albums."

dancingbarefoot
March 7th, 2008, 09:59 PM
From the User CP, click on Your Profile, right at the top of the left sidebar. It should take you to your profile, which looks something like this: link to my profile (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=53). I set up an album just to test it out. See it over on the right-hand side of my profile?

capelli lunghi
March 7th, 2008, 11:38 PM
From the User CP, click on Your Profile, right at the top of the left sidebar. It should take you to your profile, which looks something like this: link to my profile (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=53). I set up an album just to test it out. See it over on the right-hand side of my profile?I see 4 boxes.. Mini Stats, Friends, Group Memberships, and Recent Visitors.. I can't see anything related to photo albums.. :(

I do not see Flaxen's Photos and albums under quick links either..

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I think it's another issue of a feature not implemented yet.

capelli lunghi
March 7th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I think it's another issue of a feature not implemented yet.Yep.. I'm guessing this is turned on for the mods and such, but not yet for us common folk.. lol..

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Yep.. I'm guessing this is turned on for the mods and such, but not yet for us common folk.. lol..
Yep. I figure a bit of patience will get everything sorted out.

dancingbarefoot
March 7th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Huh. Well, look at it this way: by the time everyone has access to it, the mods and admins will already be familiar with them and be able to answer questions about how to use them.

ETA: Also, my test album is set to private. That means only people on my friend list should be able to see it. Can anyone who's not a mod/admin and who is on my friend list confirm that they can or cannot see my album? Thanks!

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Huh. Well, look at it this way: by the time everyone has access to it, the mods and admins will already be familiar with them and be able to answer questions about how to use them.
Excellent point!

capelli lunghi
March 7th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Awesome, DBF!!!.. Thanks!

Also.. thanks for all the help you have been giving out everywhere, Snowbear!.. You need a gold medal! lol

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Also.. thanks for all the help you have been giving out everywhere, Snowbear!.. You need a gold medal! lol
Aw, shucks. Thanks!
I figure if the mods and admins are going to have to learn a whole bunch of new stuff on this board, the least I can do to help out is to answer the easier questions.

dancingbarefoot
March 7th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Yes, snowbear is a lifesaver!

I just added a public album to test things. Can anyone see it? Please let me know.

capelli lunghi
March 7th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Nope, DBF.. still the same things I listed above.

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Yes, snowbear is a lifesaver!
Aww, thanks!

just added a public album to test things. Can anyone see it? Please let me know.
Nope! In order, from top to bottom I see: statisistics, memberships, friends, visitors.

Velvettt
March 8th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Whew! I thought it was me. I tried to click on a photo link and got the "you're not authorized" message and thought WTH? Glad to see I'm not suddenly being demoted. LOL!

Niphredil
March 8th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Nope! In order, from top to bottom I see: statisistics, memberships, friends, visitors.

That's exactly what I see. ..

I wonder, what about the former '>100posts, >60day membership' rule ?
I understand that being able to select those members that you considers friends adds a lot to feeling safer with posting pictures. But if that is the only way to add some privacy, I feel it will be quite a hassle to organize.
Could it be possible to have 3 levels of privacy?
Like public for those who want to (maybe for journalblogs), 100post/60days for those who want limited access to their pictures, and friends only for those wanting the most privacy possible?

Just brainstorming here, I understand the mods/admins are also still figuring out the possibilities of the new boards!

jel
March 8th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Between photo albums and real blogs instead of journals (i.e., commenting is enabled), everything the photo galleries did is covered.

So, does this mean that photo albums will not have to 'belong' to a single member? I'm thinking of threads like Hairstyle of the week, where a lot of people posted their photos.

WavyGirl
March 8th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I'm so glad I'm not alone in wondering why I can't even see links to photo albums. It sounds like they're going to be really cool. It's going to take me a while to get my head around who can see what.

eresh
March 8th, 2008, 07:49 AM
And I was starting to think I was going crazy :confused:
We'll have to be patient :)

A question for the future photoalbums, so there will be 3 options for the album, public (everyone can see), secure (only people with 100+ post etc can see) or private (only your friends can see)?

k_hepburn
March 8th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Phew, I'm glad I found this thread -

I too was wondering whether I was struck by blindness or dumbness (is there such a word?) since, of course, as soon as I heard about the "new and improved" photo albums I wanted to have a look ...

I would like to second eresh's suggestion of a public, a secure and a private option for the photo albums. And - probably an(other) superfluous suggestion - will there be an option for starting photo albums for general contribution (like: "Show us your Graydogs") or will these be part of the reviews section from now on?

Aaaah, so many new things to discover !

katharine

lapushka
March 8th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I too hope there will be options for the photoalbums that allow a user to set them to public, private, friends-only. Hopefully the same thing goes for blogs ... or are the blogs a replacement for both the journals/photoalbums, because that would be great.

At least, I thought the blogs were a replacement?

*confused*

jessie58
March 8th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I see you DBF and love your picture. I guess we'll just wait patiently or not so patiently for the photo albums to be implemented. We've waited long enough for the site to come back up, we can wait a little longer. (not too long though)

ladiosaRosa
March 8th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Yep.. I'm guessing this is turned on for the mods and such, but not yet for us common folk.. lol..

Oh, thank god.....I really thought I was going insane. :rolleyes: .....and coffee doesn't help. Phew! I'll be patient, like everyone else.

peacecat3
March 8th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Another vote for the public/secure/friends-only feature, applied to both blogs and photo-albums. I don't like how anyone could see my blog, but I don't want to set it to friends-only, as how can I make more friends if folks can't see my personality through my blog? I really liked how private journals and photo albums were restricted to members with time and post quotas.

KatKeRo
March 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Another vote for the public/secure/friends-only feature, applied to both blogs and photo-albums. I don't like how anyone could see my blog, but I don't want to set it to friends-only, as how can I make more friends if folks can't see my personality through my blog? I really liked how private journals and photo albums were restricted to members with time and post quotas.
Me to.
I'm to lazy to set it on friends only.

dancingbarefoot
March 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Another option for photo galleries is to create a group, either public or private, and post photos there.

Guenever
March 9th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Okay, I'm a bit late I see.. someone please give me a kick if I've completely misunderstood/missed something in this thread.. :wink:
- But will there be created a separate section on the main page for the new photo albums (and blogs) like the old site had, or will it be necessary to enter through each person's profile to see pics?

Just curious.. and a bit confused like everybody else I guess :)

Btw: Yet another vote for the public/private/friends options when it comes to journals..

Dianyla
March 9th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Photo Albums are now available to all members.

To use your own album, you can get there via the Quick Links pull-down menu or your User CP (look on the left-hand side).

For now, the way to see someone else's photo album is to click on their profile and then into the link to their album(s) on the right hand side. We're looking into a functionality like the old Photo Gallery where you could see everyone's albums.

Remember - permissions on your Photo Album are set up by you. :)

jessie58
March 9th, 2008, 01:24 PM

To use your own album, you can get there via the Quick Links pull-down menu or your User CP (look on the left-hand side).

For now, the way to see someone else's photo album is to click on their profile and then into the link to their album(s) on the right hand side. We're looking into a functionality like the old Photo Gallery where you could see everyone's albums.

This new system totally rocks. Only people I want to see my pics will see my pics. Bwahaha.

snowbear
March 9th, 2008, 03:13 PM

SO FREAKING AWESOME! Thank you!

jessie58
March 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Okay, now I know my photo album is there but it will not accept either pictures from my computer or photobucket, regular sized or sized down.

Any suggestions? Snowbear? Anybody?

Just_Isabel
March 9th, 2008, 03:37 PM
That's weird. I managed to upload pictures from my computer.
What file format are your pictures?

jessie58
March 9th, 2008, 03:39 PM
That's weird. I managed to upload pictures from my computer.
What file format are your pictures?

They're jpg's.

Just_Isabel
March 9th, 2008, 03:40 PM
So were mine. :confused:
Hopefully someone will have a clue of why it's not working. I had no problems uploading pictures.

jessie58
March 9th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks Isabel. I'll go back to trying it again.

ladiosaRosa
March 9th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I thought I read in a member's blog that the Photo Journals were 'up'. I went to the Forums/Home and don't see it.

What am I missing? Don't answer that....just, can someone help?

capelli lunghi
March 9th, 2008, 03:50 PM
To get to your Photo Album.. Click Quick Links at the top.. Then click Pictures & Albums... You can create different albums and upload your photos.

To view others' albums (for right now) you have to go to their profile and if they have an album with photos.. there will be a section in the right column with their albums.. click those!

ladiosaRosa
March 9th, 2008, 03:57 PM
To get to your Photo Album.. Click Quick Links at the top.. Then click Pictures & Albums... You can create different albums and upload your photos.

To view others' albums (for right now) you have to go to their profile and if they have an album with photos.. there will be a section in the right column with their albums.. click those!

Thank you capelli lunghi.....again, you have been most helpful. :flower:

snowbear
March 9th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Okay, now I know my photo album is there but it will not accept either pictures from my computer or photobucket, regular sized or sized down.

Any suggestions? Snowbear? Anybody?
That's odd. Are they within the dimension and size guidelines? That's the only reason that I can think of why they wouldn't work.

ladiosaRosa
March 9th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I haven't set up my Photo Album yet but have a couple of questions.

1. Is the Photo Album viewable by non members? If so, can we make it viewable only to those on our Friends list?

2. Is the Photo Album only a place where photos are posted with no accompanying text by the poster or replies by viewers.....like it used to be?

capelli lunghi
March 9th, 2008, 04:16 PM

1. Is the Photo Album viewable by non members? If so, can we make it viewable only to those on our Friends list?

2. Is the Photo Album only a place where photos are posted with no accompanying text by the poster or replies by viewers.....like it used to be?
1. You can choose the privacy level of each album you make..

2. There is a caption that you can add to the photo.. Visitors can leave comments on each individual photo!

hth!!

Just_Isabel
March 9th, 2008, 04:17 PM

1) If you set it to public, it will be viewable to all members with 25+ posts. You can choose to have it "public", or "private" (only friends and contacts).

2) You can add an album title, album description, and comments to each picture. Other people can add comments to your pictures too.
I don't know if there's an option to deactivate the comments feature.

HTH!

Just_Isabel
March 9th, 2008, 04:17 PM

2. There is a caption that you can add to the photo.. Visitors can leave comments on each individual photo!

hth!!

Haha, you were faster. :)

capelli lunghi
March 9th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Haha, you were faster. :)True.. but you had more info.. so let's call it a tie.. LOL

ladiosaRosa
March 9th, 2008, 04:22 PM

hth!!

1) If you set it to public, it will be viewable to all members with 25+ posts. You can choose to have it "public", or "private" (only friends and contacts).

2) You can add an album title, album description, and comments to each picture. Other people can add comments to your pictures too.
I don't know if there's an option to deactivate the comments feature.

HTH!

Thank you both, capelli lunghi and Just_Isabel. :flower:

I'm glad to hear, unlike our blogs, public Photo Albums will not be viewable to non members.

Just_Isabel
March 9th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I'm glad to hear, unlike our blogs, public Photo Albums will not be viewable to non members.

Welcome. :)

And the settings for the blogs are now the same as for the photo albums, public also means for members with 25+ threads. :D

harpgal
March 9th, 2008, 04:28 PM
And the settings for the blogs are now the same as for the photo albums, public also means for members with 25+ threads. :D
This is true. But we are fine tuning some of the restrictions.

Just_Isabel
March 9th, 2008, 04:32 PM
This is true. But we are fine tuning some of the restrictions.

So this will probably change?

Keeping up is starting to get confusing. :lol: But I'm so happy that TLHC is back up that no matter what happens I'm still all "squeeeeee! we're back!". :rollin:

harpgal
March 9th, 2008, 04:40 PM
So this will probably change?

Keeping up is starting to get confusing. :lol: But I'm so happy that TLHC is back up that no matter what happens I'm still all "squeeeeee! we're back!". :rollin:
Yes, but it will change to add a little more flexibility. It will not get less secure.

ladiosaRosa
March 9th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Welcome. :)

Thank you for updating me on this; I'm glad to hear it.

NEW QUESTION: Is there a way to upload pics from ImageShack or PhotoBucket or only from our computer? What is the advantage to uploading from our computers?

Thank you.....

dancingbarefoot
March 9th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Yes, but it will change to add a little more flexibility. It will not get less secure.

Yes, if there are changes, it will only be to make certain areas require more time & posts before being viewable. Nothing will go down in requirements.

snowbear
March 9th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Yes, if there are changes, it will only be to make certain areas require more time & posts before being viewable. Nothing will go down in requirements.
Good to know!
I've heard that there will now be more levels of access, besides the old 60/100 and 25. Is that true?

harpgal
March 9th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Good to know!
I've heard that there will now be more levels of access, besides the old 60/100 and 25. Is that true?
I can't say for sure at this point, snowbear. But it is being discussed.

snowbear
March 9th, 2008, 05:11 PM
All righty! If you're taking unsolicited votes, I'm for the addition of more access lelels. :wink: :)

MusingFrog
March 9th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Once we submit the name for the photo journal, can we change it or are we stuck? I want to know before I go and set something up because I'll put a little more thought into it this time than I did last time.

Dianyla
March 9th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Once we submit the name for the photo journal, can we change it or are we stuck? I want to know before I go and set something up because I'll put a little more thought into it this time than I did last time.
You can edit the titles of your own albums anytime. :)

jessie58
March 9th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I've got my album problem fixed, after a bit of fiddling. I guess the first ones I tried weren't as small as I thought they were. I've done it in reverse of the usual. I went to photobucket and saved the pics I wanted into my picture file on my computer, making sure they weren't huge pictures. Then I just clicked on the pictures from my computer file and it worked like a charm.

In the past I would have gone to photobucket and downloaded pics from my computer. So it's the same amount of work, I just have to be careful to pick ones that aren't too big.

Dianyla
March 9th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Like the Blogs, the software can only specify two levels of privacy for Photo Albums:

Public - this is set site-wide and decided by the moderation team. Currently set to 25+ posts members but may be changed (most likely to increase security)
Private/Contacts Only - this is set by each user, who also is in charge of deciding who they list as a contact

Dianyla
March 9th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks to Stephanie there is now an "All Albums" link up on the top menu bar that takes you to all Photo Albums (that you have rights to see).

:D

Jennifer
March 9th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks to Stephanie there is now an "All Albums" link up on the top menu bar that takes you to all Photo Albums (that you have rights to see).

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockerdud

jessie58
March 9th, 2008, 06:18 PM

Oh yes Dianyla, I saw that, things just keep getting better and better and more fun all the time. I think this new format is awesome. :D

snowbear
March 9th, 2008, 06:19 PM

Freaking awesome.

Just_Isabel
March 9th, 2008, 06:24 PM

This is great! :D

MusingFrog
March 9th, 2008, 06:28 PM
You can edit the titles of your own albums anytime. :)

Sweet! That is actually one of my favorite things about all these new set-ups - more control over renaming things.

snowbear
March 9th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Sweet! That is actually one of my favorite things about all these new set-ups - more control over renaming things.
Agreed. It's also going to make things a lot easier for the mods. We can edit blog titles and photo titles, which were, if I recall correctly, their most frequently requested tasks on the old version.

ladiosaRosa
March 9th, 2008, 06:34 PM
(snip) Can I bump this; I'm afraid it got lost.

NEW QUESTION: Is there a way to upload pics from ImageShack or PhotoBucket or only from our computer? What is the advantage to uploading from our computers?

Thank you.....

MusingFrog
March 9th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Does anyone know of an easy way to sort the photo journals? I'm not sure how they are being sorted now, nor can I see everyone's user name. I'd like to be able to sort by username...

snowbear
March 9th, 2008, 06:39 PM
(snip) Can I bump this; I'm afraid it got lost.
[COLOR=Red]
Right now it's only from our computers. I don't know the answer to the second question, but I'm sure a modmin will be along shortly to explain.

snowbear
March 9th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Does anyone know of an easy way to sort the photo journals? I'm not sure how they are being sorted now, nor can I see everyone's user name. I'd like to be able to sort by username...
I'm finding it funny that some albums show up with usernames, and some don't. It's a giant game of guess who!

MusingFrog
March 9th, 2008, 06:46 PM
No kidding! And I'm guessing those that show up with usernames have them because that was added in under the description section.

Ok, another question, can I make different permissions on who can look at the journal and who can comment?

snowbear
March 9th, 2008, 06:49 PM
No kidding! And I'm guessing those that show up with usernames have them because that was added in under the description section.

Ok, another question, can I make different permissions on who can look at the journal and who can comment?
Yep! It's all in your Blog Options (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog_usercp.php?do=editoptions)!

MusingFrog
March 9th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Yep! It's all in your Blog Options (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog_usercp.php?do=editoptions)!
Ok, just to be crystal clear, that is for both the blog and for the photo journal?

snowbear
March 9th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Ok, just to be crystal clear, that is for both the blog and for the photo journal?
Nope! Photo Album settings are located in the album itself:
click on whichever album you want.
In the top-right corner (across from your album title) click "Edit Album"
The settings are located there.
Each album has its own settings.

physicschick
March 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM

Agreed. It's also going to make things a lot easier for the mods. We can edit blog titles and photo titles, which were, if I recall correctly, their most frequently requested tasks on the old version.

Woot, my first multiquote!

Another thing that will be easier for the mods is the fact that each member can determine what level of privacy he or she wants (public, or any set of friends you pick). With globally set permissions, it was never exactly what everyone wanted.

snowbear
March 9th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I'm finding it funny that some albums show up with usernames, and some don't. It's a giant game of guess who!
Scratch that. If you view an album and don't know whose it is, looks at the light grey banner to the left of your
Welcome, username.
You last visited: Today at 06:19 PM

It will say: The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Username's Profile > Albums

snowbear
March 9th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Woot, my first multiquote!

Another thing that will be easier for the mods is the fact that each member can determine what level of privacy he or she wants (public, or any set of friends you pick). With globally set permissions, it was never exactly what everyone wanted.
As I've said before, this is the best version of LHC, ever. :inlove:

Sarahmoon
March 10th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Can someone please help me? (sorry if this is already answered but I can't find it)

I found the albums, made one of my own :) However, when I try to upload a picture from my computer that is smaller than 600x600 pixels and only 87kb, it says the picture is invalid. Why???
:?

snowbear
March 10th, 2008, 04:06 PM
It's a system-wide problem today. Here's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=376) a thread on it.

Sarahmoon
March 10th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks again Snowbear. I already thought I was going crazy.

Sorry for asking stuff in the wrong place the whole time... I just discovered LHC is back but since things have changed I have still some trouble finding my way around.

snowbear
March 10th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Quite all right! I'm glad you're all sorted out now. :)