PDA

View Full Version : A Strange Thing Happened....

Islandgrrl
November 25th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I was at the gym this morning - nothing new there - getting ready to leave and come to work, and I had my hair down for a few moments while I was talking to someone in the lobby. A person came up behind me and started fondling my hair - running fingers through the length and untangling it, really gently, and lifting it up off my back and generally playing with it. I thought it was my friend K, and that she was just waiting for me to finish my conversation so I just stood there and finished talking to the woman I was speaking with, and allowed the hair-player to continue.

Done talking, and I turned around to find a 35-ish man I've never seen before standing behind me. He got THE MOST shocked look on his face when I turned around, and he turned very red and stammered...."I, I, I...uh, I thought you were my wife!"

I'm pretty sure the look on my face matched his, so I smiled and told him, "No, sorry. But thanks for untangling my hair!"

Crazy hair moment! I didn't wait around for the wife to show up.....:bigeyes:

rhubarbarin
November 25th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Heh, I thought this story was going to have a very different ending!!

Islandgrrl
November 25th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Oh, feel free to supply your own ending.....I'm open to the whole parallel universe thing!

burns_erin
November 25th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I my goodness, that is too funny, I actually laughed out loud, the people in my office are looking at me like I am crazy. Many men do seem to think they know their wives from behind much better than they do. Whether it is hair, line of back, or actual behind. DH actually tapped one of our friends wife's behind thinking she was me.

NiAosSi
November 25th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Hmmm... That is crazy. I wonder if the wife comment was true.

NiAosSi
November 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM
DH actually tapped one of our friends wife's behind thinking she was me.

Yeah... umm...I would kill my husband. :horse::boxer::guns:

Alana2000
November 25th, 2008, 09:21 AM
It could be strange.. but I think its cool also.

neenerbabe
November 25th, 2008, 09:35 AM
LOL I would be demanding evidence, like a pic of her from his wallet or something. :D Plus I'd wanna meet someone who had hair as awesome as me.

Islandgrrl
November 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Judging from the look on his face, I'd say he clearly expected me to be someone else. Wife or not, I wasn't the woman he thought I was!

Newniepg
November 25th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Well, if he was telling the truth, then some long hair out there has a lovely husband. I also thought the story would have a different ending...possibly involving violence and/or a law suit.

I wonder if he 'fessed up' to his wife?

SHELIAANN1969
November 25th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I bet the next time he thinks he *sees* his wife, he will say "honey, is that you"? lol

Poor guy, can you imagine if the wife really stumbled upon that scene? WOW!!!

vividdreamer
Oh, how funny! I bet both of your faces were priceless!

I've never made that mistake, exactly, but I'm notoriously bad about talking to whomever I'm in the store with while I'm looking at something on the shelf and then turning around to realize that I've been blabbing on to a total stranger. It's usually because they're wearing something similar to my friend/partner and I just see them out of the corner of my eye. What's worse is when you realize your mistake, apologize, move on to another aisle and end up doing it AGAIN to the same person. (Not that I've, um, done that or anything...)

Ryanne
LOL, a bit strange though.

jel
November 25th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Sooo, this guy played with your hair for a minute or so, and didn't realise it wasn't his wife's? :hmm:

Once or twice, my SO had mistaken someone else's hair for mine - in pictures. He'd glance at my screen and say 'Nice, you've posted a new picture on the hairboard?' and it would be someone else's sig... :rollin: However, there is a big difference between a small, two-dimensional representation and a real-life, tactile experience! I wouldn't be too happy if I were this guy' wife...

ETA: It is funny, though! :D

Islandgrrl
November 25th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Intrigued by some of the comments here, I called the gym. Since I work there I can get all kinds of good information, and since I didn't recognize the guy at all I assumed he had to be either someone's guest or had bought a day pass. The morning crowd at the gym is pretty regular and I rarely run into someone I don't know so early in the day.

Turns out he and his wife are guests - visiting a member who happens to be one of my yoga students. The wife is the member's daughter. And apparently they are all planning on coming to yoga class tomorrow morning.

Should be interesting.

Darkhorse1
November 25th, 2008, 10:04 AM
OMG--how embarassing! I'm sure he thought you were someone else. Even the biggest hair ******ist wouldn't do that to a perfect stranger in public.

Well, at least you got your tangles out! :)

Themyst
November 25th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Your response to him was hilarious - I wish I could be so witty.

I probably would have turned around, turned red and just stammered.

nappywomyn
November 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Oh, you'll have to come back and share how the yoga class went! :lol:

Islandgrrl
November 25th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Oh, you'll have to come back and share how the yoga class went! :lol:

I will. By the way, your new avatar pic is gorgeous. :)

morguebabe
November 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM
LOL thats kinda cute.

Aisha25
November 25th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Well at least he got all the tangles out for you:laugh:

Alia
November 25th, 2008, 11:38 AM
God, this is worse than getting in the wrong car and trying to stick the keys in the ignition, which my husband does. A lot.:D Just imagine the scene if his wife came by, mid-hair fondle?:bigeyes:

Anne~
November 25th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I wonder if his hands were clean? {:rolleyes:} ew

JessTheMess
November 25th, 2008, 11:56 AM
LOL ooo jeez I can't wait to hear how the class goes:D He must have been so embarrassed

elrowiel
November 25th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Poor man but I must admit that I had to laugh at the end. :D

Can't wait to read how it goes on.

logica_divina
November 25th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hahahahahahaha :laugh:
Sorry, those kind of situations always crack me up :D
Any way, at least he gave you a compliment.. in a way.

Sammybunny711
November 25th, 2008, 12:57 PM
wow...that is hilarious. I would be so freaked out but laughing at the same time!

Carolyn
November 25th, 2008, 01:01 PM
That's hilarious! I think you handled it very well and with good humor. The guy wasn't a hair perv but he obviously loves his wife's hair. Thanks for a good laugh!

Lamb
November 25th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I admit my BIL (when my sister and he were just dating, so I didn't know him very well yet) did something like this to me once - we were standing in line somewhere, and he started tapping a rhythm on my (bare) shoulders, an annoying habit my sister doesn't mind but I do. He was pretty much mortified when I turned around with a baffled look on my face. :o
(He is two meters tall, and as he was looking around the room, I fell way below his field of vision with my 5'3" height.)

GlennaGirl
November 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I think the really weird thing is that you were talking, right?...and yet he still didn't know it wasn't his wife's voice? I guess you'll find out how similar the two of you look & sound at that class!

Vitalai
November 25th, 2008, 05:08 PM
That is hilarious, though a bit strange. :D You handled it really well.

Speckla
November 25th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I've *almost* done something like that. I was at the store and reached over to grab my husband's hand, almost made contact, and realized it wasn't my husband but someone the same height, same size, and wearing the same colors. I didn't look to see if the guy noticed, I just walked away fast.
________
Vaporizers (http://vaporizer.org/reviews)

AnneAdeline
November 25th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Possibly--a long lost twin? Duh-duh-dun :drama:

Cantabile
November 25th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Thank goodness it ended up as being an innocent mistake, rather than some creepy guy feeling your hair :puke:

GlennaGirl
November 25th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Well at least he got all the tangles out for you:laugh:

Now this is a good point. See now? If you could only get mistaken for someone else once a day...you'd never have to detangle your own hair again! :p

Alun
November 25th, 2008, 06:51 PM
God, this is worse than getting in the wrong car and trying to stick the keys in the ignition, which my husband does. A lot.:D Just imagine the scene if his wife came by, mid-hair fondle?:bigeyes:

Mini-hijack. Way back when I was in college one my friends in the motorcycle club found that his ignition key fitted one of the other guy's bikes (both Honda fours, one a 550 and the other a slightly older 500). He used to drive his bike across to the opposite side of the street from where he had left it while he was sitting in lectures. That was not a mistake, though, but done on purpose to confuse him.

I almost tried to unlock someone else's minivan a couple of times when I was driving DW's. I've never made that mistake when driving my own car, though.

I'm trying to imagine his wife coming along in mid-fondle. I don't think it would be a pretty picture, somehow!

BlndeInDisguise
November 25th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I'm trying to imagine his wife coming along in mid-fondle. I don't think it would be a pretty picture, somehow!

Somehow "I thought it was you!" doesn't sound very convincing. :p

wintersun99
November 25th, 2008, 07:05 PM

skay
November 25th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Somehow "I thought it was you!" doesn't sound very convincing. :p

Or even worse,

Him to his wife:

"It's not what it looks like!" ;)

Personally though, I could see how it could be an honest mistake. Long hair such as yours is probably not very common at the health club I'm guessing (except maybe just you and his wife. :) ).

I'm reminded of how my brother told me how our grandmother got into the car next to his and started talking to the driver for about a minute before she realized she was in the wrong car. :D

RavennaNight
November 25th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Wow what a funny story! I guess his wife must have pretty hair! :)

smilinjenn71
November 25th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Your story was HYSTERICAL! I bet he was soooo embarrassed!

missmanytoes
November 25th, 2008, 07:42 PM
My brothers-in-law have mistaken me and my sisters from behind. But what is really freaky is when our own kids do it! Of course we (my sisters and I) know we look and sound similar, but doggone! When your own offspring don't realize that's their aunt!! LOL one of the funniest times was when my niece was 3-ish and I was in the kitchen...she came up and hugged my leg with the "mommy, mommy" thing going on and as I was saying "I'm not your mother" I turned, she looked up, SCREAMED and ran away!

Elenna
November 25th, 2008, 11:47 PM
How did the class go? Did his wife have pretty, long red hair?

Debra83
November 26th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Ha, Ha, Ha, THAT IS HILARIOUS!!!! Please, oh PLEASE tell us if they were in class, and what she looked like, and if he said anything about it. Oh...my side hurts...you ALL told funny stories that we can all relate to. Tee Hee Hee!

Lady Verity
November 26th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Haha! Perhaps he was hoping to pick you up.

MissMaryMac
November 26th, 2008, 04:04 AM
I would be so suspicious, it's just my personality, but I admit I laughed. I can't wait to see the update today!! :D

Pegasus Marsters
November 26th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Hahaha, I think that's really funny. Best case of mistaken identity ever. :lol:

bikerblue
November 26th, 2008, 05:07 AM
That made my laugh so much I nearly choked on my drink! I must confess to grabbing a blokes backside thinking it was my other half

brok3nwings
November 26th, 2008, 06:09 AM
ahahhahahahah :D loved it !!!

Speedbump
November 26th, 2008, 06:47 AM
A++, would lul again! :rollin: Oh, I would never do something this stupid....nooooo... ;)

Poor man. His wife had better have a good head of long hair on her in that yoga class or this is going to be awkward. :twisted:

::subscribes to thread and waits for updates:: :drama:

Islandgrrl
November 26th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Okay, y'all.....class is at 7:30 this morning. I'll come back later with an update! :)

nappywomyn
November 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM
*waits impatiently*

Anyone know what timezone she's in? :lol:

Islandgrrl
November 26th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Ah, she's in the Pacific time zone, but she's at work!!! Update coming in a moment! I promise!

nappywomyn
November 26th, 2008, 10:41 AM
*does happy dance*

Islandgrrl
November 26th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Okay, off the phone now. Sorry.

So yoga class. I set my stuff up a little early and just a few regulars were there so I was chatting with them as other people came in and set up.

I saw the guy (and his wife) walk in the door with her mother and the look on the guy's face when he recognized me was PRICELESS. Total shock. I'm still talking to other people, and I notice the guy is talking to his wife and pointing at me. And she's shaking her head - I couldn't see her face, but I could see her hair. Almost perfect hair twin from what I could tell colorwise, but shorter than mine and wavier - up in a ponytail.

So it's time for me to start class, and I hop on to the stage and welcome everyone to class, introduce myself, little blurb to the new people....yada yada. I swear, I thought the guy was going to fall over and die when he realized I wasn't another student in the class. Class went just fine. No problems, but then class ended.......mwahahahaha.....

I walked over to the guy and his wife and introduced myself, told them they did a great job and sort of waited. She looked a bit ticked off. Awkward silence ensued and then the guy apologized to me for mistaking me for his wife. I assured him it was okay, that I wasn't offended, just a little surprised. She didn't say a word. Not one single word. She just glared at me.

And then they left.

It was all very, very weird.

AnneAdeline
November 26th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Interesting. I bet she blamed you for her husband not realizing you weren't his wife. Wonder if they'll be back...?

Islandgrrl
November 26th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Interesting. I bet she blamed you for her husband not realizing you weren't his wife. Wonder if they'll be back...?

Yeah, I can so see how it was all my fault! :cheese:

Honestly, I kind of hope they don't come back......

wintersun99
November 26th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Ah, too bad she didn't have a sense of humor! If I were she, I would have totally thought it was funny... :D

burns_erin
November 26th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Ah, too bad she didn't have a sense of humor! If I were she, I would have totally thought it was funny... :D

Me too, and I would have ribbed him into a corner, "how could you ever think that was my hair, her hair is so much nicer than mine, you never notice me at all do you." There is no right answer to that, heehee. But then DH and I are like that with each other, and he would KNOW I was joking.

In any event, I am sorry you got the evil eyes of doom from his wifey, islandgrrl. Hopefully they don't come back.

jel
November 26th, 2008, 11:34 AM
LOL, at least now you can be sure that the guy was genuine and honest with both you and his wife... Not that she appreciated that! I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for him...

nappywomyn
November 26th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Oh, boo for the evil eyes of doom - you and your temptress hair, for shame, for shame. :lol: Or, maybe she was rather upset that your hair was nicer. ;)

Oh, man though, I can just imagine the poor husband wanted to sink into the floor!

Thanks for the followup!! :flowers:

SHELIAANN1969
November 26th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Oh man, I wonder what he said to her to get such an evil look (like you're the "Evil Siren" who attracts men with her hair to do her bidding, detangling and all around hair care)

Geeeeez, I bet he LOVES it when her hair is down and just spaced out, you know, when you're in unfamiliar surroundings and not really paying attention, you see a familiar head of hair and , well, start finger-combing (lol)

I bet she grilled him: (Her) "was she pretty"? (Him) "not really sweetheart, I wasn't really looking"

(Her) "yeah right, how could you mistake someone else for me, ME? yes me, your WIFE!"?

(Him) " I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention, it will never ever happen again, I bet we will never even see that girl again, how many times must I apologize?, Do you think I would embarrass myself on purpose and look lke a big dork on our first viist to the gym"?

Poor guy, he was probobly psyched about her hair being down and was chillin! haha omg!

I feel sorry for him really, if you didn't trip, after such an invasive procedure with a stranger, you would THINK that SHE would see the humor and cut the guy a break, and cut you a break too! (what a meanie)

She could have made a joke by saying something like "I apologize for hubbys groping, I can dress him up, or dress him down but still can't take him anywhere" :D

katiana
November 26th, 2008, 11:44 AM
That was a really funny story!
I bet they both felt really uncomfortable once you came up to them, I think I would as well, but if someone belt out a silly joke about the entire situation it may have eased things up a bit...and she might have laughed about it too...I think :) hee,hee..

Islandgrrl
November 26th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Oh man, I wonder what he said to her to get such an evil look (like you're the "Evil Siren" who attracts men with her hair to do her bidding, detangling and all around hair care)

Geeeeez, I bet he LOVES it when her hair is down and just spaced out, you know, when you're in unfamiliar surroundings and not really paying attention, you see a familiar head of hair and , well, start finger-combing (lol)

I bet she grilled him: (Her) "was she pretty"? (Him) "not really sweetheart, I wasn't really looking"

(Her) "yeah right, how could you mistake someone else for me, ME? yes me, your WIFE!"?

(Him) " I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention, it will never ever happen again, I bet we will never even see that girl again, how many times must I apologize?, Do you think I would embarrass myself on purpose and look lke a big dork on our first viist to the gym"?

Poor guy, he was probobly psyched about her hair being down and was chillin! haha omg!

I feel sorry for him really, if you didn't trip, after such an invasive procedure with a stranger, you would THINK that SHE would see the humor and cut the guy a break, and cut you a break too! (what a meanie)

She could have made a joke by saying something like "I apologize for hubbys groping, I can dress him up, or dress him down but still can't take him anywhere" :D

You totally cracked me up.

For me, the funniest part is that I'm AT LEAST 15 years older than she is.

I do have better hair, though. If she'd been nicer I would have clued her in about LHC. Sigh, instead I'll just practice my Evil Siren ways some more.......

BlndeInDisguise
November 26th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Too bad she doesn't have a sense of humor. It really is funny! :p Poor guy probably felt like walking right back out when he saw you.

Euphony
November 26th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Me too.

I could actually see my husband doing that. He loves when my hair is down and will play with the ends whenever he can. And considering my build, the length of my hair and the color all being pretty unique in combination with each other, if he saw someone that looked like me from behind I could so see him doing this same thing.

Now I would've been laughing hysterically had I been the wife. I would really, really find the whole thing funny. But you know, I trust my husband explicitly and I know it would've been a complete accident. I also would've probably adored the 'other woman' as we had a jolly laugh at hubby's expense :D

30isthenewblack
November 26th, 2008, 12:49 PM

You are hilarious! This is was such a funny story. I never realised that Islandgrrl was the teacher when I read it yesterday hehe.

Beldaran
November 26th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I walked over to the guy and his wife and introduced myself, told them they did a great job and sort of waited. She looked a bit ticked off. Awkward silence ensued and then the guy apologized to me for mistaking me for his wife. I assured him it was okay, that I wasn't offended, just a little surprised. She didn't say a word. Not one single word. She just glared at me.
Honestly if my husband had made that same mistake, and then the woman in question came over specifically to rub it in his face the next day, I'd glare at her too. What was she supposed to do? You went over with the intent to remind him of what happened and he apologized to you AGAIN. I'd be glaring because I'd be ticked someone was making my husband uncomfortble over a minor, unoffensive mistake.

You knew he remembered, yet you stood there in silence making them both feel awkward. You could have said "hey, you both did a good job, don't worry about yesterday, it's no big deal."

I also bet they won't come back. I wouldn't.

SHELIAANN1969
November 26th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I am shocked by this perception of Islandgrrls encounter.

I saw it as she was trying to introduce herself so that there wouldn't be any hard feelings or discomfort.

Islandgrrl is one of the sweetest most inoffensive people on this forum and I could not imagine that she was trying to be rude or make the couple feel awkward.

Normally in a social group, such as exercising, when a new person/ people come in for a class, the instructor will come and say hello etc.

It isn't her fault that the man mistook her for his wife, it isn't the mans fault that he was spacing out and it isn't the wifes fault for not being the woman whose hair was fondled.

I think it was very adult and appropriate for the instructor of the class to come and say hello.

If the wife can't see the situation for what it is, which is nothing but an accident, and it is amusing, although a bit awkward.

Thank goodness he wasn't dry humping her leg, that would have been cause for more disturbance.

I have been chatting away with people in the grocery store, thinking it was my husband, then I look around and it's no-one I know. I just say, "whoops, I'm not really talking to myself haha, I thought you were hubby but I see you aren't."

It makes the mood lighter and takes the tension and weirdness out of the situation.

I think going up to the couple was indeed the right thing to do, if she hadn't, it would have looked more suspicious (like she was secretly in on an illicit tryst) and would have made it forever uncomfortable.

People can't go around ignoring the 800 pound gorilla in the room and act like it doesn't exist.

Also, Islandgrrl wanted to see for herself what the situation really was, he could have been a pervo whose uses that line all the time to *cop a feel* who knows? Now she knows what the situation really is.

There is no need to make someone feel like an instigator when it was just an unfortunate incident.

Honestly if my husband had made that same mistake, and then the woman in question came over specifically to rub it in his face the next day, I'd glare at her too. What was she supposed to do? You went over with the intent to remind him of what happened and he apologized to you AGAIN. I'd be glaring because I'd be ticked someone was making my husband uncomfortble over a minor, unoffensive mistake.

You knew he remembered, yet you stood there in silence making them both feel awkward. You could have said "hey, you both did a good job, don't worry about yesterday, it's no big deal."

Islandgrrl
November 26th, 2008, 01:55 PM

I can understand your perspective here. But in fact, my intent was not to rub it in his face - or hers. I ALWAYS without fail say something to new class attendees at the end of class and thank them for coming. It's polite. Ignoring their presence and refusing to acknowledge it would have been not only rude but completely out of character for me and everyone else in the room would have noticed the snub. To be clear, I was warm and friendly when I spoke to them. The uncomfortable silence was the interval between me saying something nice and waiting for *some* kind of response.

There are only a few instances in which I would be deliberately rude or inconsiderate of someone else's feelings. This wasn't one of them.

Islandgrrl
November 26th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Thank goodness he wasn't dry humping her leg, that would have been cause for more disturbance.

Had that been the case, I'd have knocked him on his arse in the lobby when it happened, without hesitation, and asked him to leave the class the moment he walked in the door. I say that in all seriousness. :bigeyes:

Beldaran
November 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
To be perfectly clear, I am in no way saying that the husband's actions are her fault. I'm saying that knowing he remembered her from the previous day, seeing that he already felt odd about it before class and then going over, saying one line and standing there saying nothing until the husband felt obligated to apologize to her again could come off as rude to the wife. I know it would to me.

If she truly wasn't offended, and as she stated knew he was already shocked by seeing her again, what was the point of saying something and continuing to stand there?

As I read the story, she knew from the moment he walked in that he felt uncomfortable about it, then mentions his expression again as the poor guy realizes she's the instructor, then after class goes over to them and makes no mention of the incident until the poor guy apologizes again.

As I said, if it was truly no big deal, why wasn't she the one to break the ice over it as the instructor? I'm not saying she was wrong in talking to the new people in class, I'm saying it was odd of her to not mention anything, hence she was the one ignoring the 800 pound gorilla untill the guy felt obligated to say he was sorry again. It strikes me as rubbing the guys mistake in his face. I could be wrong, but that's my view of it.

Eta: I just read the response, and that makes more sense. I just know if I were the wife, I may be frustrated and feeling bad for my husband, not necessarily mad at the instructor. There are two sides to any story.

MAO
November 26th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I think it's funny! Anyway you look at it, he was obviously admiring your hair.......take it as a compliment!

Islandgrrl
November 26th, 2008, 02:13 PM
To be perfectly clear, I am in no way saying that the husband's actions are her fault. I'm saying that knowing he remembered her from the previous day, seeing that he already felt odd about it before class and then going over, saying one line and standing there saying nothing until the husband felt obligated to apologize to her again could come off as rude to the wife. I know it would to me.

If she truly wasn't offended, and as she stated knew he was already shocked by seeing her again, what was the point of saying something and continuing to stand there?

As I read the story, she knew from the moment he walked in that he felt uncomfortable about it, then mentions his expression again as the poor guy realizes she's the instructor, then after class goes over to them and makes no mention of the incident until the poor guy apologizes again.

As I said, if it was truly no big deal, why wasn't she the one to break the ice over it as the instructor? I'm not saying she was wrong in talking to the new people in class, I'm saying it was odd of her to not mention anything, hence she was the one ignoring the 800 pound gorilla untill the guy felt obligated to say he was sorry again. It strikes me as rubbing the guys mistake in his face. I could be wrong, but that's my view of it.

Eta: I just read the response, and that makes more sense. I just know if I were the wife, I may be frustrated and feeling bad for my husband, not necessarily mad at the instructor. There are two sides to any story.

I really do see the point of view and I'm afraid that the manner in which I related the story left things out that made it look worse than it really was.

The interval of time between me saying something and his response was very short - normal conversation-ish. I did not expect another apology from him, nor did I want one. As far as I'm concerned, he apologized already and it was done with.

Had he or his wife been so uncomfortable, no one was forcing them to stay for the class.

There were four other new people in class this morning and because of the Thanksgiving holiday, class was unusually large - in fact the largest group I've ever had in that room (38 people). Since there was no time to speak to every new person individually and class was due to start just about 2 minutes after the man and his wife walked in, I welcomed everyone at once. And...at the end of class, I thanked all of the new people individually, not just the man and his wife.

I'm really not a bad Evil Hair Seductress.

Beldaran
November 26th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I'm really not a bad Evil Hair Seductress.
Really, that was my whole point. Most of the replies are making this poor man's wife out to be some horrible harpy who was obviously jealous of you, and angry with you for tempting her husband when in reality she could have just been feeling very awkward. :o

Islandgrrl
November 26th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Really, that was my whole point. Most of the replies are making this poor man's wife out to be some horrible harpy who was obviously jealous of you, and angry with you for tempting her husband when in reality she could have just been feeling very awkward. :o

Honestly, she's probably a perfectly nice person. I'll get the scoop from her mother (who has been in my yoga class for something like 6 years) on Friday.

Beldaran
November 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Oh no, you know her mom! That adds a whole 'nother level of awkwardness! LOL

Good luck! I hope they both let it go and come back to class.

magpielaura
November 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Hee hee!!

This is such a funny story. That must have been the longest yoga class ever for that man...I wish I could have seen his face! He will have a great anecdote to tell one day, when he recovers from the embaresment!

To me, someone stroking my hair like that would be like stroking my body...Very personal and intimate -shudder- and I would have been too embarresed to look him in the eye. I'm silly like that:)

Can't wait to hear the womans perpective via her mother!

katiana
November 26th, 2008, 02:57 PM

I can see your point and would agree as I would have felt extremely uncomfortable with the awkward silence as well and probably would have thought the instructor avoiding the situation would have been best or coming up with a nice little joke to ease the situation would have made all parties feel much better ( some people react differently to different situations, and she ( wife ) may have a sense of humor but it may have been weird to have the instructer come up and not say anything about the situation and have the husband apologize again )...even though it was the guy who started all of this and it was not Islandgrrl's fault that this all happened..they both felt uncomfortable..but he was the one admiring/touching/(thinking he was touching wifes hair)and probably felt very,very embarrased..I would.

Yttrai
November 26th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Poor guy. He was gracious and honest, and that goes a long way.

The most similar thing i've seen recently was a friend of mine thought he was sneaking up behind his wife at a party to hug her and give her a smooch on the cheek. Unaware that there were two people of identical size wearing western shirts, jeans, belts, and a hat, at this Western themed party.

Bucky, the man he was actually in the act of kissing on the cheek, has a giant handlebar mustache, and one heck of a sense of humour. We all got a giant laugh out of it, and the actual wife was not offended in the least, and probably laughed the hardest of everyone. Bucky's SO was similarly amused.

These mistakes do happen, after all :)

Pierre
November 26th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I think the really weird thing is that you were talking, right?...and yet he still didn't know it wasn't his wife's voice? I guess you'll find out how similar the two of you look & sound at that class!
Not only that, but he could smell you.

sahiba
November 27th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I just read your thread and was like :blueeek: OMG .How crazy and funny too. Now that the shock is over how do you feel about it. And who do you think was more taken aback?

Islandgrrl
December 1st, 2008, 12:34 PM
Okay, so on Friday, the whole gang showed up again, this time about 15 minutes before class started.

My plan was to talk to the mother, who has been in my class for years, but before I could approach her, the daughter approached me, big smile on her face. First thing out of her mouth was, "I'm sorry if I was rude the other day, I was really angry at my husband when you walked up to say hello." I really didn't know what to say - I wasn't expecting THAT from her. So I told her I was sorry if I'd made her feel awkward. She had a puzzled look on her face, and I felt like I had to elaborate, so I said something like, "You know, about the hair." She laughed and said she'd actually thought it was pretty funny. So I had to ask her what she was so angry about. She said they'd had a horrible argument before class started - nothing to do with me or my hair or his playing with my hair. He'd said something before I came up to them that ticked her off all over again and she was just fuming mad at him.

They came back this morning, too. All happiness. They're going back home tomorrow.

Whew!!!

LadyGunn
December 1st, 2008, 03:54 PM
So glad she explained for you! I hate misunderstandings like that...

burns_erin
December 1st, 2008, 03:57 PM
Oh good, it is nice it ended so well.

Islandgrrl
December 2nd, 2008, 09:22 AM
Not only that, but he could smell you.

Hmmmm, Pierre, I'm not quite sure how to take that!!! :bigeyes:

nappywomyn
December 2nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Oh, that's wonderful that she wasn't glaring at you!!

morguebabe
December 2nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
I told my boyfriend this story and he goes "Didn't the man hear them talking if he was behind her? How did he not know his wifes voice?"

:o How did I not think to say that.

burns_erin
December 2nd, 2008, 02:03 PM
I just assumed he had developed that special ability to tune women out like DH has.

CaraLynn
December 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
LOL. Glad it all turned out well. :)

GibsonGirlV
December 2nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
LOL that is too funny!!!!!!!

You would think he'd have realized by your clothes, voice, something that you were not his wife! How embarrassing for him!!! Some guys can be so oblivious to those things sometimes though (no offense to any of the men here, just making a generalization).

I'm so glad to hear he wasn't some creepy stalker though, and that it all ended well. Thanks for sharing your story :)