PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Survive the Stall

crazy me
November 24th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I feel like I am going crazy where my hair has hit a no-grow point. I have had a ton of stress in the last several months which I am thinking might be causing it all. Right now I am waiting for my wonderful husband to come home from his out of town trip. I also quit my job and moved halfway around the world to be with my husband. So much stress, it's killer crazy.

For the last three months I can't seem to grow past 30". I feel slightly crazy because I want so badly to see it grow, especially since I have never had hair this long before and I have such high hopes for nice, long hair.

I am also not having any luck at all finding a pair of scissors for my "search and destroy" so I have not been able to get rid of the occasional split end which is only adding to the madness I am feeling. Anyone have any tips of places they managed to find a really good pair of scissors? All the pairs I have looked at have gaps between the blades when they're closed, and I also now have quite the assortment of scissors here at home too.

Please help me. Any advice all of you wonderful people can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Many, many thanks. :taz:

Gumball
November 24th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I found a pair of scissors for trimming in the hair accessories aisle at my nearby grocery store. Maybe if a store near you has one of those section they could have it. It's good you can acknowledge that you're in a frustrating spot, but still want to go for your goal of longer hair. Knowing that can stave you off from an impulse chop. As for the stall the best we can do is send you our best wishes and hope it starts up again soon and that your stress goes down as quickly as possible.

crazy me
November 24th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Thank you Gumball for you support.

You all would laugh at me at every store I go to as I am checking every pair of scissors I see.

What about makeup scissors? Has anyone ever tried those? Would they be sharp enough?

Debra83
November 24th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I understand your frustration totally. Hope you see some growth soon.

What are makeup scissors?

crazy me
November 24th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Makeup scissors, the scissors found in the makeup aisle used for facial hair n stuff.

Eryka
November 24th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Try nail scissors. Either that or thread cutters, like in fabric and craft stores.

kwhitchurch
November 24th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I bought a pair of scissors at Michaels (arts and crafts store) they are extremely high quality professional fine fabric scissors. They were a bit spendy but totally worth it since they are very durable and made for precision cutting on very delicate fabrics.

spidermom
November 24th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I bought my scissors at a local department store (Fred Meyer). They were labeled as trimming scissors, I think (having a hard time remembering, sorry).

This is what I did when I got frustrated about slow/no growth: combed my hair out in my bedroom and quickly put it up. No mirror. I would only allow myself to check the length once per month. Now I only check the length once per quarter -- next check mid-January -- by having a length picture taken as well as having my DD measure my length. I don't fret about growth or lack of anymore, even though my goal is for my hair to reach the tops of my thighs.

HairColoredHair
November 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM
My advice? Put it up, put it up, put it up!

Up in a bun, up in a braid, whatever way you can stop looking at it, stop fretting about it, stop worrying about splits or damage. Just ignore it a while. Be gentle to it, yes, but no hubbub over the hair!

Then it will probably surprise you some day when you take it down and realize that it's GROWN! :cheese:

embee
November 24th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Benign neglect worked for me. It wasn't quite deliberate, I couldn't afford trims, was very busy, and just kept putting it up and going on with my life. Suddenly one day I noticed it was below my waist, I almost fainted. :)

Later I did an 8 inch chop (why? who knows?) and within the next week I found LHC. I still have the 8 inch tail from that chop, just to remind me that I Do Not Want To Do That Again.

Hang in there, just move on with your life. Hair grows better when you don't watch it, IMHO! :)

Jean_Grey
November 24th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I got my scissors at Sally's Beauty Supply. They had a ridiculous assortment of haircutting scissors. :)

Anje
November 24th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I think I got my scissors at Walmart. They're kinda cheap, but they're hair-cutting scissors. Look with the hair accessories. Otherwise, if you have a Sally's Beauty Supply nearby, they have scissors of every quality.

It's quite common to stall at about your length. I know I did. Take care of your hair, don't fret about the growth too much, and it will eventually start again, but you might want to start wearing more protective updos if you don't now. Your hair is probably at the length where it gets pinched between your back and a chair, and this is definitely a source of wear, especially if your hair is delicate.

What I finally did was trimmed my hair on one of Morrocco Method's trim days for length. I generally don't believe in that sort of thing, but it did start growing after that. So who knows? Don't get scissor-happy, though.