PDA

View Full Version : to cut or not to, after major shed cycle

hennared
November 23rd, 2008, 12:41 PM
Ok, it's me moaning again about my hair shedding and thinning over the past several months. It (finally? maybe?) appears to be resolving itself; the shedding slowed down noticeably, and I do see lots of baby hairs.

Since this started, I lost about a third of my circumference, and my longest hairs look pretty straggly - I have a pretty uneven 'hemline' going, now. (it is worse now than my signature file.. I'll try to update that to a current pic.) I predominately lost my longer hairs. I know it will take a good long time before my new growth can possibly catch up (provided the newbies do stay on my head, of course!). I'm wondering if I shouldn't just cut a good bit off to even up my hair... what do you guys think?

Those of you who have experienced major shedding and then regrowth, did you cut to allow the new growth to catch up, or just ride it out with the uneven length? Of course it's a personal decision, but I'm wondering what others have done in this situation and why, and how they felt about it.

Thanks!

Darya
November 23rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
I have just let it ride, I do have a significant taper line from each major shed (I majorly shed, like handfuls, late every fall) but if I cut every time I had a major shedding then I'd never get my hair below my shoulders. I think that as long as you are comfortable with how it looks untrimmed, then let it go. If you do decide to trim, maybe trim just a bit at a time until you are comfortable with how it looks.

spidermom
November 23rd, 2008, 01:07 PM
If I ever get to a point that I feel my ends look thin and straggly, I will most certainly cut them back to a point where they look thicker. I hope never to go shorter than APL again in my life, though.

Tangles
November 23rd, 2008, 01:09 PM
I am having a major shed also--I don't remember the last time it was this bad, actually. I've lost around an inch of circumference, going from ii/iii to a solid ii. *sadface* I'm not cutting, though, because my loss has been pretty even around my head. I know that my hair will grow in "layered" now, but I don't really care--I'm too intent on getting to goal and then trimming to maintain.

If you lost mostly long hairs, I don't see the point in trimming at all--it sounds like the rest of your length is more or less even now, and you don't need to take more off!

Microtrimming is always a safe middle ground.