PDA

View Full Version : Huge bun with not so huge hair!

Gothic Lolita
November 23rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
I don't know if something like this was posted before and the search doesn't like me, so I post it:

My hair is iii and unfortunately layered. Because of this a cinnamon bun always leaves my hair looking as if I had tons of taper. I just experimented a bit and came out with this:

I hold my hair in the position where i want the bun to be. Then start twisting it as if making a regular bun. Start coiling it, but after the first coil insert a hairstick to hold the bun. The length of your ponytail is still in your hand. Bring the length under the end of the stick and coil it around the bun base. Tuck ends under and secure with hair pins or a second stick.

I don't have pictures, sorry. But this variation makes a very huge bun on me and doesn't show the taper so badly. In fact, it looks pretty much the same length all over.

If this is a new bun, please name it. If not, I like it anyway :)

Hope the instruction was understandable, that was the first time I tried posting one.

Magdalene
November 23rd, 2008, 11:52 AM
are you twisting the rest of the length or just wrapping it?

Gothic Lolita
November 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
I'm twisting the rest too, but I think you can do it without twisting the entire length.

eresh
November 23rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
That's how I do a cinnamon too, half, then stick, further, then second stick.
Stays more secure than making the whole bun and then inserte the sticks.
I just call it a cinnamon too, because the only part that's different is the moment when I insert the sticks.

Stevy
November 24th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Hey, thanks! I just tried this and it made my cinnabun hold a lot more securely, though I don't think it looks any bigger than usual. I used a Graydog fork, which worked really well.

Gothic Lolita
November 24th, 2008, 08:40 AM
It doen't make it really biiger on me either, but it equalizes my taper a bit, so in that way it looks bigger than usual. Am i making sense?

Ranee
November 24th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Great idea! I can never get my bun to stay with a stick the normal way. I'll try this tomorrow.

aprilmay
November 25th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Stevy, I love the bun in your avatar pic! I don't think my hair can twist like that, but I still enjoy seeing other intricate updos.

Stevy
November 26th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Stevy, I love the bun in your avatar pic! I don't think my hair can twist like that, but I still enjoy seeing other intricate updos.

Thanks! It's a rope braid figure 8.