PDA

View Full Version : Hair Washing Instructional Videos--How Different from LHC!

Snowymoon
November 23rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Oh my.

I just came across a bunch of instructional videos on hair washing techniques. Almost all of them show shampooing the entire length, some by pilling it up on the head and really scrubbing. :scared:

This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9wMliUzN6o) is a bit more gentle in technique, but they still show shampooing all down the length and only leaving the conditioner in for a short time.

Even before finding LHC, I never did any of that. Did you? :bigeyes:

vampodrama
November 23rd, 2008, 10:53 AM
most people outside LHC believe that it's crucial to shampoo the entire length of one's hair. by scrubbing vigorously.

I've had my share of arguing with them, but I think I'm done. how other people wash their hair is not my concern. I'll be that much happier if my hair looks better than theirs, anyway ;)

Snowymoon
November 23rd, 2008, 11:14 AM
most people outside LHC believe that it's crucial to shampoo the entire length of one's hair. by scrubbing vigorously.

I wonder where that comes from? :bigeyes: I mean, why?

GlassEyes
November 23rd, 2008, 11:20 AM
Yep. That'd be my way of washing my hair until I started CO, even on my dyed, tri-bleach-fried hair.

Not exactly great for it. Washing everyday can be fine, but with most commercial shampoos it's like using laundry soap to wash it, at least on my hair type. XD;

Meli
November 23rd, 2008, 11:24 AM
I did do that - I was taught to shampoo my entire length, pile it on my head and scrub it. And then rinse and repeat... I did this about every second day my entire life before I found this site and learned otherwise. No wonder I always shed furry mammals in the shower...

vampodrama
November 23rd, 2008, 11:26 AM

because "there is dust in the air and it's falling on your hair and makes them gross and dirty". or something along those lines. people just believe that hair gets dirty. and when I tell them that I only wash my scalp, and only twice a week, they decide I'm a horrible gross and dirty person.

I wonder how they would react if they found out that there are people who only CO or WO or, gasp, NW???

Chromis
November 23rd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Oh my.

I just came across a bunch of instructional videos on hair washing techniques. Almost all of them show shampooing the entire length, some by pilling it up on the head and really scrubbing. :scared:

This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9wMliUzN6o) is a bit more gentle in technique, but they still show shampooing all down the length and only leaving the conditioner in for a short time.

Even before finding LHC, I never did any of that. Did you? :bigeyes:

Yep, I didn't know any better! That's how my hair was washed as a child and that's how I continued to wash it until I found LHC. I'm *much* happier now that I know not to pile it all on my head, I used to get the most massive tangles just from washing it. I'd brush it all beore I got in the shower and then brush it again after I got out hoping to get out all of the "loose hair" :bigeyes:

We did have conditioner laying around and I went through gobs more of it and also detangler afterward in hopes of reducing the snarling but I didn't leave it on my head for long. Still don't, well didn't before I switched to shampoo bars since I don't see much difference in my hair after. With the bars I do still have to lather the length, but gently now and no hard scrubbing or piling on my head.

Snowymoon
November 23rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
The piling on the head aside, I still find it odd to shampoo the entire length every wash time (shampoo bars and CO washing aside as well). I was never taught or told to do that. I was always taught to wash the scalp only with shampoo and put the conditioner on the length. I just never knew that that was done so often by so many. How strange (to me). :bigeyes: Therefore, I really have no idea what something like that would have done to my hair. :uhh:

Calista
November 23rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
I never washed my length, even prior to LHC. I lathered my scalp and conditioned my length. I never heard of people washing all of their length by piling it up and scrubbing it.

What scares me nowadays is that I used to put something on my hair that cleaned by just the suds running down my length. Yikes! :bigeyes:

AJoifulNoise
November 23rd, 2008, 11:55 AM
Er, I shampoo my length. Just not every day. I do it once a week with shampoo bars and once with sulphates. I tried not shampooing the length and found that I got buildup on my ends and they got dry and ratty. They are fine now. :shrug: Just another view point.

Now, as for piling it on the head and scrubbing... That gives me nightmares.

Snowymoon
November 23rd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Er, I shampoo my length. Just not every day. I do it once a week with shampoo bars and once with sulphates. I tried not shampooing the length and found that I got buildup on my ends and they got dry and ratty. They are fine now. :shrug: Just another view point...

Wow. That is fascinating, AJN. :o From your siggy photo, your hair looks lovely. Maybe this really works for some people.

AJoifulNoise
November 23rd, 2008, 12:04 PM
Wow. That is fascinating, AJN. :o From your siggy photo, your hair looks lovely. Maybe this really works for some people.

Ah, well, there's gotta be one to buck every rule, right? Even the rule that goes against the rules! :lol:

Ryanne
November 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
I did shampoo my whole length, it was a bit shorter then, but I washed my hair that way twice a week.

Tai Shan Fan
November 23rd, 2008, 12:28 PM
As so many people (outside LHC) use products on their hair on a daily basis, perhaps that's why shampooing the length works well - it removes the gunk and stops it building up.

I can think of absolutely no sane reason why anyone would scrub their hair on the top of their head though :confused:

Copasetic
November 23rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
i definitely scrubbed my hair like that when i was younger.
also, i love how they scrub her hair like crazy, and then apply like a nickel sized amount of conditioner.

Akiko
November 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
I used to pile my hair on top of my head and scrubbed the entire length as well as scalp.

I had to think how I learned that. I remember using a shower hat which is a foam disc that goes around my head tightly to keep shampoo from getting into my eyes. We had several different sizes. So with this, the hair had to be all on top of my head.

Also shampoo TV commercials always showed the entire hair on top of a model's head, scrubbing until it lathers well. So I thought that was the correct way to shampoo my hair.

Snowymoon
November 23rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
There was a thread a while back about poverty being good for hair. :lol: Perhaps there is some truth to that.

Growing up, we did not have much. In fact, I don't recall washing my hair that often (was not taught any hygiene by my mother, but that is another topic completely), and I don't recall my mother washing my hair (I do recall her brushing it and putting it up every day for school, though; boy, was she rough with my hair). I had very long hair, always did. Never got it cut. We never went to salons, not ever.

Now, my paternal grandmother used to wash my hair and used vinegar rinses (she always made my hair so silky!), but she never actually taught me to do it because she had so much fun washing it for me since she never had any daughters of her own. :) I remember the vinegar rinses, though. :lol: I did not care for the smell.

When I got older, my maternal grandmother, who was a hairdresser, decided to cut it off because I "was not taking care of it." She never did teach me what she considered proper care either. :confused:

:lol:

Anyway, I remember once after my father had left when we had NO shampoo or conditioner in the house. I had to use dish soap, as it was all we had. Oh my. The tangles were SO horrible!!!

Now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing any shampoo commercials on TV, but I never watched it much, even as a kid.

Since I had to teach myself how to wash my hair and since I had the dish-soap experience behind me, I never put shampoo anywhere but my scalp, and I always packed conditioner onto my length and left it on during my "other" duties. It kind of naturally happened.

When I got on the interwebs, I read in a lot of places that it was a good way to do things, and I thought I had just figured it out.

I really, until right now, had no clue so many people do/did this and have done so for a long time. Wow! :bigeyes:

Based on AJN's results, I wonder if it is really so bad, providing one does not pile the hair on top of one's head and SCRUB wildly, that is. :silly:

vampodrama
November 23rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
well yes, I think it all depends on our personal historic backgrounds. I grew up in the USSR where conditioner didn't exist. it literally didn't. shampoo was mostly available, but not always, depending on the times. when there was no shampoo, we used regular soap to cleanse our hair. I was always taught to shampoo my entire length of hair by piling it on the top of my head. my mother and older sister do it to the very day, because that's what they've always done for their entire life. and most people I have discussed hair care with do it too. and random women in gym showers, they do it too! now ask me if I feel like the odd one out :eyebrows:

Boots
November 23rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
because "there is dust in the air and it's falling on your hair and makes them gross and dirty". or something along those lines. people just believe that hair gets dirty. and when I tell them that I only wash my scalp, and only twice a week, they decide I'm a horrible gross and dirty person.

I wonder how they would react if they found out that there are people who only CO or WO or, gasp, NW???

Ha, MIL gets us S&D, soaps, toothpaste, etc for Xmas every year. When I told her no poo this year and tried to explain CO, it was like she couldn't comprehend it.

Good thing I didn't share the Monistat trick, huh? :)

Beatnik Guy
November 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Hmmm, who benefits from the misinformation? Shampooing whole length must use more shampoo and doing it twice even more. I guess it'd not be in the 'poo manufacturers interests to suggest we use less of their product? :rolleyes:

Snowymoon
November 23rd, 2008, 02:30 PM
Hmmm, who benefits from the misinformation? Shampooing whole length must use more shampoo and doing it twice even more. I guess it'd not be in the 'poo manufacturers interests to suggest we use less of their product? :rolleyes:

Well yeah, that would be quite obvious. :lol:

I wish my grandmother were still around so I could ask her about her and her mother's hair care regimens. I am sure it would have been interesting to learn about. :cool:

SaveTheTapirs
November 23rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Oh yeah, I used to use a whole palmful of shampoo and scrub the entire length piled on top of my head. I couldn't figure out why I had an oily scalp, so I just assumed it was genes. I used a tiny bit of conditioner and never put it anywhere near my scalp, because that would just make it greasier...or so I thought. My shampoo bottle would run out twice as fast as my conditioner. If I was in a hurry, I would just skip the conditioning. Sometimes I would go through my hair with a fine-toothed comb in the shower to get rid of loose hairs. Oh, and I did this about every other day.

Now I run out of conditioner long before I run out of shampoo. I wash once a week by conditioning the length and then using a small amount of shampoo right on my scalp. I let the length hang down while I massage my scalp. Then I rinse it out and condition all my hair and leave it on for a few minutes, detangling with a wide-toothed comb. Finally I rinse it out with cold water. And let me tell you, I will never go back to my old washing ways.

zift
November 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Actually it looked quite gentle to me apart from using the shampoo on length. I used to wash my hair even harsher before I found long hair boards(including piling hair on top of hair) and I still shampoo my whole length. I mean I always do(not the piling*lol*):rolleyes:
And I know we don't need to shampoo twice but somehow once cannot get to my whole scalp, my hair's thick or something else I don't know but I try to shampoo twice when I feel very dirty(especially after spending time in bars or places with lots of cigarette smoke) It's not a catastrophe though, I still have kind of nice hair :)
Please can I shampoo my length?:cheese:

zen_oven
November 23rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
I did this every solitary day until I found LHC. Though I was never one to use a tiny amount of conditioner--I've always piled that on because I liked my hair to be "slippy" and not tangled. My hair is so much happier doing CWC, only shampooing my scalp (poo bars) and only washing twice a week. I finally got over the fear of NOT washing my hair every day and it's liberating.

OhioLisa
November 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
Actually, it looked rather gentle to me as well. I wash my length as well. They didn't pile or anything in the video. The stylist actually looked as though she was being extremely gentle. And the guy speaking even made a point to say that shampooing twice isn't necessary. If I HAD to go to a salon, I would have no prob with this washing technique. :shrug:

Friesiangirl
November 23rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
Sometimes, I think I was lucky to have neglectful parents-- they never taught me "proper" hygiene. I figured it out all on my own. I've never washed my body heavily, only when it's dirty, same with my hair.

Salt water is water soluble. Like disolves like. Why would I need something harsh to get salt water off (sweat). Oil is good for my body or my body wouldn't produce it.

I'm a science person. I'm also a girl, and if I don't smell, i'm good :)

Hayley