PDA

View Full Version : Shedding baby hairs

PurpleAshes
November 23rd, 2008, 07:09 AM
I've noticed that Im shedding baby hair:( I know its baby hair because the ends are tapered, and I know its shedding because I can see the white bulb.. This makes me very sad because about a year ago I went through some serious hairloss because of a medication, and I really want to get my former thickness back.
So, is this normal? :confused:They're about 5-6 inches long.

augustspy
November 23rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
I've noticed that Im shedding baby hair:( I know its baby hair because the ends are tapered, and I know its shedding because I can see the white bulb.. This makes me very sad because about a year ago I went through some serious hairloss because of a medication, and I really want to get my former thickness back.
So, is this normal? :confused:They're about 5-6 inches long.
It seems as if after severe sheds for whatever reason we are more likely to shed smalls afterwards, down the road a number of months. Not sure why other than a guess that when we were taking or doing whatever caused the shedding in the first place, we were also effecting the hairs that didn't fall out. Does this make sense?

Being that I went through years of hormonal hair loss I read up on the small hair shedding as I had a ton of this happening myself. It was a 2-3 year process to get the hair cycle back to healthy. After a severe hypothyroid shed earlier this year I am now in the small shedding phase. I expect it will go on for a while as the cycles correct. Don't think you have to worry here as it happens to a lot of women post shedding.

AG

PurpleAshes
November 23rd, 2008, 10:25 AM
I guess it makes sense.. I hope this phase goes away quickly though.

MissHair
November 23rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
I had a really bad shed earlier.. Due to anaemia and iron deficiency.. Its been 2 years since I lacked iron and my baby hairs are just about to grow back, they seem to grow 1-3 inches and then shed, grow 1-3 inches again and then fall off again.. It seems like an endless cycle, but I have to say, my hairline is looking much better than it did a year ago. So I really believe it can get better.

Peter
November 23rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
I shed those hairs too. Not as many as the longer hairs, but still some. They're usually quite short, a few inches max. For some reason I almost never shed any mid-length hairs, they're either short or long.

Fantak
November 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
I asked this a while ago on another thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10299) I'm glad you posted it as a thread in it's own right :D

I have the same problem, it's only 2-3 hairs but I was getting worried, but as others have said it seems to be more common then I thought. I like augustspy's take on it.

Thank you MissHair for the good news! I'm sure soon these shorter hairs will get stronger and grow all the way past 60"!! YaY! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

spidermom
November 23rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
I regularly shed hairs that are as short as 2 inches. I can't imagine why a hair would have such a short life span, but some of them do.

danacc
November 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
I find short, unbroken hair among the strands that I shed, too. I have short terminal-length hair around the hairline. The hair in several places at the hairline never grows beyond 6 inches or so, and I've always assumed that the short sheds come from there.

mamaherrera
June 28th, 2013, 04:36 PM
I have this too and it's been seven months of lowered "normal" shedding, and I still see those short hairs, ranging between 1-6 inches. It makes me feel good to know that it can take a year or so for this to get better. I'll try and be patient, it' is scary though when you see plenty of those shed daily. I probably say between 10-12 daily. I assume also that some must come from those skinny hairs at the neck and temple area, NO?

jacqueline101
June 28th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I've shed my bangs which arent very long. I shed my long hairs which I hope doesn't mean I've reached terminal length.

mamaherrera
June 28th, 2013, 08:51 PM
I just analyzed mine today from my shower, good to once in a while if you're worried, just to monitor I guess. I had a total of 76 terminal hairs, 4 vellus hairs, which is still less than 10 percent so that's a good sign. and like six hairs that were 3 inches long (more or less) and like 15 hairs that were 6 inches -9 inches, so maybe that means more of them are cycling longer. HOpefully!!

Harpreet2512
December 16th, 2016, 10:07 PM
@purpleashes.. Hi dear did your hairs Ger better. I'm really very sad to see baby hairs falling.. I have seen them from tears. I was diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency. Now I have recovered from it but baby hair shed count gas increased alot

Harpreet2512
December 16th, 2016, 10:08 PM
[]@purpleashes.. Hi dear did your hairs Get better?. I'm really very sad to see baby hairs falling.. I have seen them from tears. I was diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency. Now I have recovered from it but baby hair shed count gas increased alot