PDA

View Full Version : See-through hair

DiyaC
November 23rd, 2008, 12:38 AM
Hi all,

I have 2b/ii/just-barely-bsl hair. My ponytail's circumference is a ii at the nape of my neck but as it goes further down, there is distinct, visible thinning of my hair. In fact, the other day, a friend commented that she can see my shirt through my hair from below my shoulders till the very tip of my hair. I have been taking very good care of my hair, braiding it to sleep, ponytails/braids during daytime and never leaving it down, air-drying after twice-a-week washes and regular oilings. I do have a split ends that I S&D whenever I can and I get regular quarter inch trims every three months. Is there anything I can do to keep the ends blunt and thick, and avoid this taper? I would be grateful for any suggestions. TIA.

Aditi
November 23rd, 2008, 02:59 AM
Are you having a layer haircut in your hair, or its just naturally grown?

Arctic
November 23rd, 2008, 03:49 AM
Is there possibly old damage there from before LHC? If that's the case then it takes time the new thickness travels downs. You'll just have to keep treating your hair gently and I'm sure the trimming is doing good too thickening the hem.

annarose
November 23rd, 2008, 08:38 AM
I have this too. I find wearing dark clothes helps :wink:

I don't know if it will ever thicken up, I was almost at waist last year and it was see-through from pretty much shoulder to waist :sad. I don't wear it down much, unless I'm wearing dark clothes.

That's not very helpful if you're a blond though ,sorry.

Gothic Lolita
November 23rd, 2008, 08:50 AM
Many people around here have problems with taper. You might want to check out Emichiee's blog. She had a similiar problem and the same thickness as you and has successfully thickened up her length and ends by trimming regularly, sometimes monthly.

Here is the link to her profile:

http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=4812

harpgal
November 23rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
DiyaC, most all of us have tapers going on. It sounds as if you are doing things right but there are a couple of things that come to my mind.

1. When you comb/brush, are you whipping the tool very quickly off your ends? Be sure a move very slowly with whatever grooming instrument you are using.

2. Are you keeping your hair (especially the ends, such as a braid tassel) out of any sunlight? Exposure to sunlight over time, can weaken the hair shaft. I am maintaining my length right now in order to trim off a few inches of weathered, sun damaged ends.

Be patient and just keep doing what you are doing. But most importantly, just enjoy your tresses. They are very special and unique.