PDA

View Full Version : Short, Chin length, Shoulder length to BSL :)

Pages : [1] 2

backtolonghair
November 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
Hey everyone! how are you? Just wanted to see how many of you on here are in the processing of growing out your hair from a really short hair cut to BSL or beyond...??

I'm in the process of growing out my shoulder length hair to BSL and then we'll see. I started out at chin, so I"m very happy with how things are going.

Love to hear from you!

Blessings

LawyerGirl
November 22nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
*raises hand*

Citrine
November 22nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
Me too! Last December I started with short hair, and now it's almost APL.

Alana2000
November 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
I cut my hair to a short bob at the start of summer, and now its to my shoulders, I have had several pixie cut throughout life and I loved them too, I just feel its my time to try long hair, and my last bob was a painful razor cut (with what I think was a dull razor) I vowed to "never cut my hair ever again!" And the last time a had a hair cut I actually loved was about 12 years ago... so I am thinking I just need to grow it once and for all!

GlassEyes
November 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
Me too!

My hair's still only chin length. T_T;

Phoenix06
November 22nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
I'm at a little above chin...it's cute, but not for me, I look too cutesy, cause I'm only 5"1...:) and I have a youngish looking face. I'm going to look forward to shoulder and go from there. Good luck to the other shorties.:cheer:

Buddaphlyy
November 22nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
It's taking me forever to get to shoulder length, but I'm inching towards it. I hope to get to shoulder length next summer and be APL by this time next year.

rapunzhell13
November 22nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
BSL is going to be my absolute minimum once I get there.

Debra83
November 22nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
BSL is going to be my absolute minimum once I get there.
Me too, but I plan to go longer....I just HAAAAATTTTTEEE the wait!!!! :rolleyes:

Roseate
November 22nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
I had my waist-length hair cut to my earlobes last December, and it's about shoulder length now. (Maybe a leeetle more when pulled out straight).

Shoulder, for me, is an awful length, so I had to decide: back up to the chin or back down to the bra and beyond? As you can see, the bra-strap won, and here I am on LHC! Now for the waiting...:meditate:

Shari
November 22nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Yes, me too. My hair is about mid-neck length right now and looks shocking! I wish it would hurry up and grow.

Oskimosa
November 23rd, 2008, 12:02 AM
Meee too... :rolleyes: I just HAD to cut my hair into a short shaggy cropped thing. Now I wish I hadn't, but oh well, it'll grow back. Right now it's at the typical haircut I end up with, a layered cut between shoulders and APL. I know it looks nice on me, at least.

It seems to be a very long road to APL from above the shoulders!!

RedFrizz
November 23rd, 2008, 02:21 AM
Count me in! I'm growing to at least BSL from very layered and for me very short(about 8'') cut I had to do last January. Now I'm almost APL (haven't checked since last month), so it won't be long 'til I hit BSL. But I want it NOW!!! At least this is a good exercise for me to practice my non-existing patience.. :rolleyes:

rymorg2
November 23rd, 2008, 02:37 AM
MEME!!!!!!

If I hadn't cut it to a chin length bob in March I'd be at waist by now....but at least it's collar bone length again on the way to APL by this coming March or earlier. BSL here I come, hopefully by this summer!

Dreamernz
November 23rd, 2008, 04:24 AM
i had my hair cut to a short bob last year and now its a little longer than half way between shoulder level and BSL....

jeno
November 23rd, 2008, 04:32 AM
I'm in! I started with a pixiecut in March -06 and I'm now at APL with the longest layers. I think BSL or between waist and BSL will be my goal. I'd love to have a long braid hanging down my back...

Pictures in my album!

Carina
November 23rd, 2008, 06:38 AM
I'm in !!!!!My hair is between shoulder and apl.I'm so impatient because it grows so slowly.

Lamb
November 23rd, 2008, 06:40 AM
Short and layered curly here. I am starting a no-trimming routine until at least March 2009, with lots of conditioner and minimal shampoo to keep splits at bay. I sabotaged my own progress with lots of trims and cuts since I started to grow out my hair from an even shorter style in 2007, now I am determined to stay away from the scissors!

smilinjenn71
November 23rd, 2008, 06:45 AM
Hand raised!:rockerdud I started growing out a pixie cut (of 12 yrs) this past July. I'm shooting for BSL, so not sure how long that will take.

My pixie had tons of layers, so I have to trim every so often to even up the razored edges. Luckily my stylist knows what I want and only dusts the ends to even them up. I started at about 2 1/2 inches (guessing a little there - could have been shorter) and right now it's at 4 1/2 inches.

**Pics in album

Garnet66
November 23rd, 2008, 08:09 AM
I'm in too! My hair started shorter than a pixie in April 2008. Now I'm almost nape length while the sides are down to my chin. My goal is bsl if I can get there. I already want to cut.

LutraLutra
November 23rd, 2008, 12:43 PM
Yup, I'm in. I'm an ex-pixie starting in spring 07 and I'm now a few ins above shoulder. It's a long, slow process, but so, so worth it. :D

Debra83
November 23rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
Short and layered curly here. I am starting a no-trimming routine until at least March 2009, with lots of conditioner and minimal shampoo to keep splits at bay. I sabotaged my own progress with lots of trims and cuts since I started to grow out my hair from an even shorter style in 2007, now I am determined to stay away from the scissors!I just spent most of last night and most of the morning reading the catnip thread...you might want to check that out too as it is dealing with preventing split ends. Good Luck!

Satyria
November 23rd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Count me in! I cut my waist length hair to shoulders a couple of years ago. I've been growing and cutting since then but now I want my waist length back. I'm on a shoulder lenght again so it's going to be a long journey. :)

elrowiel
November 23rd, 2008, 12:53 PM
I'm in too.
Cut my hair in January and now it's APL.

Oskimosa
November 23rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
So in getting there, I don't want to trim even a little bit because that will prolong the waiting. Despite the fact that I have a razored and layered cut, I think it looks ok enough to wait.

I expect most of us who got a really short cut also got layers and razored ends. I'm curious, are you planning to trim or not?

smilinjenn71
November 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
So in getting there, I don't want to trim even a little bit because that will prolong the waiting. Despite the fact that I have a razored and layered cut, I think it looks ok enough to wait.

I expect most of us who got a really short cut also got layers and razored ends. I'm curious, are you planning to trim or not?

I mentioned this earlier but Yes, I will be dusting my ends every 8-12 weeks. I just don't want to have that mullet look as I'm growing out this pixie. So my goal, while growing the layers out is to go for a bob first. That might slow my growth on the ends but will keep my hair in a shape that will be fairly easy to grow out over time.

Everyone seems to be a little different when it comes to dusting/trimming/cutting. I just happen to think that will be an easier way for me to deal with all the in between stages.

serabelle
November 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Count me in :)

I'm hovering just above the shoulders, although the lowest layers do touch just a bit..

Alana2000
November 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
I think since we are all around simular lengths we should post pictures of pony stumps, mini french braids (Backtolonghair posted her french braid a few days ago which inspired me to keep practicing my braiding) just to sort of keep motivated and to make this process a little more enjoyable...

Next time I have a chance I will take pictures of my pony stump, mini stump bun and french braid.. If anyone has any other short do's to share I would love to see them!

Thank you Backtolonghair for starting this thread...

serabelle
November 23rd, 2008, 01:36 PM
I know for me - I really enjoy doing pincurls and wearing them in updos or with hair scarves and whatnot. It's a great length for curling, and I'm afraid that once it gets so long.. I won't have the inclination or patience to pincurl!

Alana2000
November 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
Wow you pincurl? Thats awesome.. I never think of doing stuff like that.. now you've got me thinking... maybe next time you can take a quick picture.

Friesiangirl
November 23rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
I am. It's definitely hard, because the ends are really damaged but it's getting there.

Hayley

zen_oven
November 23rd, 2008, 03:02 PM
Me! Ultimately I'd like to get to waist length, but I'm aiming for BSL first, at which point I'll start working on making my layers disappear.

Roseate
November 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
I know for me - I really enjoy doing pincurls and wearing them in updos or with hair scarves and whatnot. It's a great length for curling, and I'm afraid that once it gets so long.. I won't have the inclination or patience to pincurl!

I remember from the last time I was growing my hair, that this length between SL and APL is my very best for up-dos. Once it gets past the armpit my hair is just so heavy and bulky that it gets difficult to put into very interesting do's. Then it just gets into head-devouring bun territory, which is kind of impressive but not very interesting. Plus I get headaches if I'm not careful where I pin it.:headache:

Now I'm reminding myself why I cut it in the first place!

The upside of being past BSL is that my braid starts to look really good; now it's almost as wide as it is long, and it just looks silly!

Sammybunny711
November 23rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
ooo! ooo!! me! I am too! I am going to waist, though, but BSL is DEFINITELY on the way!, LOL. Good luck everyone! I am at about mid-neck right now, started off at jaw.

backtolonghair
November 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
I think since we are all around simular lengths we should post pictures of pony stumps, mini french braids (Backtolonghair posted her french braid a few days ago which inspired me to keep practicing my braiding) just to sort of keep motivated and to make this process a little more enjoyable...

Next time I have a chance I will take pictures of my pony stump, mini stump bun and french braid.. If anyone has any other short do's to share I would love to see them!

Thank you Backtolonghair for starting this thread...

Aww... you're welcome! :) That's very sweet of you to say this!

I actually thought my french braid looked not that great... so appreciate the compliment. :)

Yes, it's very encouraging to see that there are others who are here growing their hair out from a short style. I think definitely posting pictures of progress and style ideas is GREAT!:)

I would love to go to waist myself, but APL and then BSL first. Patience, is definitely a must :)

Blessings

MBonn
November 23rd, 2008, 07:14 PM
This post makes me happy, I was beginning to feel like nearly everyone around here was So very far ahead of me! I cut my just past BSL hair right to my chin in about June. I am really regretting it now that I look back on my pictures :(

Before: (don't mind me being a piggy!)
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/Stickermodel/IMG_2649.jpg
After:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/Stickermodel/l_b8955db591e56e143d4e10246f745e24.jpg

PS I'm sorry these are so big. They're tiny on Photobucket! :mad:
http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/Stickermodel/?action=view&current=l_b8955db591e56e143d4e10246f745e24.jpg

Demetrue
November 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
I didn't trim for a long time, like a year, but then it was so uneven I kind of got scissor happy and lost quite a few inches of growth. I've decided no more trimming for now. I got such a lovely result with the catnip tea rinse/treatment, and then the cassia mask, that I'm going to stick with using these treatments instead of trimming. I have to get the side pieces long enough to pull back, which I think will take 4-8 months depending upon how fast my hair actually grows now that I've decided to stop using synthetic chemical dyes and bleached highlights. I may panic once the real color, which is a mix of snow white and dark blonde/hair colored hair, starts coming in and contrasts with the golden blonde. I am hoping that the catnip and cassia will kind of blend in the gray for while.

Demetrue
November 23rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
I just put up an album on my profile page that shows the horrid cut of July 2007 and the growth I had in August 2008.

LawyerGirl
November 23rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
Demetrue, I can't see your pictures?

Demetrue
November 23rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
They didn't work, but they should be in the album on my profile page, I hope!

Lucky
November 24th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Another one joining in! I've been trying to grow my hair out on-off for the last 3+ years. I can usually make it to APL, then I get frustrated (it's a rather frustrating length) and cut it off. That's what I did (again!) in September. I got a cute bob, which I liked for about 2 weeks, then I was longing for long hair again! I've learned a few things about my hair over the years, so I'm hoping to take that knowledge and use it to *finally* grow my hair out to mid-back (I'd like longer than BSL, but not quite waist at this point).

Toadstool
November 24th, 2008, 06:03 AM
I'm in!My hair is just shoulder length with shorter layers. Have given up trimming and now see some progress.I can do quite a good ponytail and twin braids , non French.

alinakathryn
November 24th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I'm in too. I want at least BSL hair, maybe some where between waist and BSL. I started in August, after I cut my hair to chin length. Its just barely shoulder now.

paper
November 24th, 2008, 07:11 AM
:waving: My hair was chin length layered all over 14 months ago. It is now shoulder length + with no layers in the back! :cheese:

tiggens
November 24th, 2008, 08:24 AM
The most flattering haircut for me was the chin-length bob I had around this time last year. After foolishly cutting it into increasingly uglier short bobs and pixies, I buzzed it in late June 08 and have been growing it ever since. Now I have a 2.5inch pixie (after one trim) and CANNOT WAIT for it to grow! I've been getting a good half inch + of growth every month and now I'm getting to the point where I'm hitting exciting mini-milestones like being able to stylishly clip a barrette in my 'bang' region. :)

I'm going to take the smilinjen approach, trimming up the back every few months until I get some kind of bob going. From there who knows?

Lawyergal: You must get some amazing growth every month! I can't believe how long your hair got between your sig pictures!

kwhitchurch
November 24th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I am in the boat too! I cut it just below shoulder level at the beginning of July, and it has very slowly made it to collar bone (only about 1" in 5 months!!!) I am worried that something is wrong with me because that seems unusually slow...

Alana2000
November 29th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Just wanted to share that I have made a very nice french braid on my clean and dry shoulder length hair!!! Just looking for lots of praise and encouragement! (Patting self on the back at this moment)!

smilinjenn71
November 29th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Just wanted to share that I have made a very nice french braid on my clean and dry shoulder length hair!!! Just looking for lots of praise and encouragement! (Patting self on the back at this moment)!
Woohooooooooo, way to go!:cheese:

LawyerGirl
November 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM
The most flattering haircut for me was the chin-length bob I had around this time last year. After foolishly cutting it into increasingly uglier short bobs and pixies, I buzzed it in late June 08 and have been growing it ever since. Now I have a 2.5inch pixie (after one trim) and CANNOT WAIT for it to grow! I've been getting a good half inch + of growth every month and now I'm getting to the point where I'm hitting exciting mini-milestones like being able to stylishly clip a barrette in my 'bang' region. :)

I'm going to take the smilinjen approach, trimming up the back every few months until I get some kind of bob going. From there who knows?

Lawyergal: You must get some amazing growth every month! I can't believe how long your hair got between your sig pictures!

Haha I am glad that I'm not the only one excited to be able to clip my "bangs" back. I put them up in a "ponytail" the other day and my mom said I looked like Pebbles from the Flintsones. BUT, it was a milestone for me, and I was really excited! :D

P.S. It doesn't take a lot of growth to look dramatic... especially when a month's worth of growth doubles the length of your hair!! LOL

smilinjenn71
January 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
Just wanted to tell you all....

Happy New Year! :bottomsup:
&
Happy/fast growing!:flowers:

Unofficial_Rose
January 2nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
I've been growing out a short, layered cut since the summer.

It's now a layered, wavy bob. Once it's down to my shoulders I'll be so much happier!

I'm a bit lazy with the pics I'm afraid :o

Just_Isabel
January 2nd, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hi, I'm joining, too!

I cut my hair to about chin length one year ago, and now it's at about shoulder length (curls eat up length).

I've been telling myself that a french braid would be a very good style for my hair at this length, but I've been terribly lazy about it. :o It doesn't help that I don't have a mirror I could use to look at the back of my head, so I'd have no way of seeing what I'm doing - I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here. :D Here's to happy growing in 2009! :toast:

HairyCarrie
January 2nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
I've had a short haircut since I began mommyhood. No more ... I'm now hankering to be a long haired granny with a bun. :lol:

First goal: APL (3.75" to go)
Next goal: BSL
Final goal: Waist

All natural and blunt hemline. At least those are my thoughts for now...

Aeasa
January 2nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
I actually cut all my hair in June to a *very* short version of a pixie haircut to get all the bleached parts out. I had bleached it out to color it crazy red and it was a great color and all, but I mean, my hair sucked! :doh: Now the longest parts are at my shoulders, but it's such a mess of layers that it's hard to say...I plan on not cutting it at all until the shortest parts are a bit under my shoulders and then evening it out a little.

Good luck to everyone!

wintersun99
January 2nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Wow - somehow I missed this thread, but it's the one for me. On 12/5 I caved and cut my hair into a Pixie... removing all the damage from previous failed bleachings to remove indigo, green matted, crunchy hair... well, you get the idea. I've posted my New Year's photo in my album and starting over from there... I must admit that getting back to even just SL is the longest, toughest most incredibly frustrating journey... I think I have the second shortest hair in my town (the old gray haired lady I see everyday at Starbuck's is the only one who is shorter than me) :D

I have a whole new outlook on growing my hair out now as anything past APL will be a most welcome, happy bonus!

*Sending 3 cheers for fast and healthy growth to everyone!*

Pegasus Marsters
January 2nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
I cut my hair May 2007 to a pixie cut. It's now around APL length. I'm aiming for hip length.

speakyword
January 2nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
decided to grow it long at around 2 inches. Now I'm at an average of shoudler length (underneath layers are longer, face framing layers are shorter). My goal is waist and possibly hip, we will see when I get there.

backtolonghair
January 3rd, 2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks everyone for joining!:) How is everyone doing with their "growing out" process??

rags
January 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
iI cut my hair two years ago due to massive hair loss from health problems. It is the first time I've had short hair in twenty years! I've kept it right above shoulder length for those two years, hoping it would thicken back up. Now I've just decided to grow it out, thick or not!! I'm currently at shoulder length, that's the worst for me - I need to be either longer or shorter to look good. (Glares at hair - grow, dang it!)

GlennaGirl
January 3rd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Hi, backtolonghair! Hope you had nice holidays!

I'm doing okay with the growing-out process. I cut back to shoulder length (almost touching the tops of my shoulders) last June. Right now I'm aiming toward APL and my final goal will probably be BSL or waist.

I'm growing out henndigo (and now am just henna-ing) but I don't feel the need to cut off the last of the henndigoed ends because I think it looks kind of neat this way. I can get my hair back into a hairstick now and I'm enjoying hairsticks, slides and pins once again. :)

How about you?

LawyerGirl
January 3rd, 2009, 07:39 PM
My hair is still really really short... but I am starting to feel like I actually have some hair.

suicides_eve
January 10th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I can't find the link that tells how long it take too get from chin to bsl. i rember seeing it many months back had some real inspirational pictures on it .. if anyone come up with the link can you post it please??

sammie883
January 10th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I'm growing my hair from being very short. It's about 2" now. I want to grow it at least till my waist but I think it would be prettier the longer it gets.

SchnauzerMom
January 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM
In October I went temporarily insane and cut back to a pixie, so I'm growing it out again!

backtolonghair
January 10th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Hey there everyone! Well I"m doing well... just trying to stick through with the "growing process." I'm a little past shoulders and had chin length hair in Sept, so those who are at that point or less please don't be discouraged. It will grow; just have to have patience:)
I remember thinking it was going to take forever just to get to my collar bone and now I'm way past that and in the shoulders.. Now I just have to patient as my hair grows to APL and then BSL and then waist. :)

This is definitely teaching me to have more patience. I wish I could press the staples easy button and have my hair waist already, but since that's not gonna happen, lol... I'd just better wait and enjoy the process and just enjoy life.

How are you all doing? Any new hair dos that you can do now that you couldn't do before?

God bless

suicides_eve
January 10th, 2009, 06:22 PM
n/m i found it and i found what i was looking for in it:D

smilinjenn71
January 10th, 2009, 06:31 PM
What was the verdict???
n/m i found it and i found what i was looking for in it:D

smilinjenn71
January 10th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Hey there everyone! Well I"m doing well... just trying to stick through with the "growing process." I'm a little past shoulders and had chin length hair in Sept, so those who are at that point or less please don't be discouraged. It will grow; just have to have patience:)
I remember thinking it was going to take forever just to get to my collar bone and now I'm way past that and in the shoulders.. Now I just have to patient as my hair grows to APL and then BSL and then waist. :)

This is definitely teaching me to have more patience. I wish I could press the staples easy button and have my hair waist already, but since that's not gonna happen, lol... I'd just better wait and enjoy the process and just enjoy life.

How are you all doing? Any new hair dos that you can do now that you couldn't do before?

God bless

No new hair-dos.... wish I had an EASY button too.:p

onelife
January 10th, 2009, 06:36 PM
My hair is almost shoulder-length and I'm going to either go for BSL or terminal :)

Dez
January 10th, 2009, 08:50 PM
The day before easter 08 I cut my hair really short. I guess you could call it pixie. I don't know, it was barely long enough that i didn't have to shave the nape. This week i'll get some pics up in my album of my hair after I cut it and now, since I should start documenting. Now in jan 09 the longest layer is just about collar bone.

Rohele
January 10th, 2009, 09:36 PM
ooh Count me in!:)

My final goal is my waist, but BSL would be a nice in between goal to reach for.

I've been growing out an inverted bob since August and its just below my shoulders now.

I have some weird layers in the back I'm not sure how to deal with deal with though. The front looks OK but the back still has its stacked appearance, so I know I'm going to have to sacrifice some length in the front for sake of evening those out at some time.

Demetrue
January 10th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I saw some cute tiny claw clips with rhinestones at the mall and thought they would be great to clip back my shorter, mid-cheek to chinlength layers on either side and then it would give the illusion that all my hair is shoulder length instead of only the longest layer in back.

Lucky
January 11th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks everyone for joining!:) How is everyone doing with their "growing out" process??

As for meself, I ended up getting a trim earlier this month, the style of bob that I had was longer in the front and it was just too "heavy" for my face. I got a couple centimeters cut off and some layers in the front. I'm now hoping that I won't have to trim for at least 4 months so that I can get some good growth. I've ordered some mega tek, I'm anxious to try it and see if it helps with growth at all. I tried monostat, but my scalp turned red and was tender and I got a horrible headache after applying a very small amount, so I'm thinking that monostat is not for me. I hope to post back with some results after I've received my mega tek and have tried it out for a month or so.

Happy New Year to all and happy growing!

fairydust
January 11th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I'm growing out a pixie cut, and trying oh-so-hard not to think about it too much. I cut my almost hip length hair last April back to somewhere around BSL, then had that cut to a bob last June, which I don't regret, but I do regret going shorter and shorter as summer turned to fall, which ultimately resulted in a super short pixie in November...and now I have a horribly outgrown pixie with lost of layers. Horribly outgrown as in: clearly grown from its original style, but not long enough to do anything with it - not even tucking behind the ears properly. I'm growing to APL, maybe BSL, but beyond that...I haven't really thought about it. I wasn't too happy with the almost-hip length hair, but we'll see what happens this time 'round :).

Just_Isabel
January 11th, 2009, 05:15 AM
It looks like lots of us had bobs with longer hair at the front. :) That how I originally cut my hair, too.
I chose that style instead of a layered cut because it would make growing out easier - layers take a very long time to get rid of if you decide that you don't want them anymore, and the longer bits at the front reduced the triangle head effect for me.

I did even out my hair not too long ago, the longer parts at the front just didn't look good anymore at the length I was at, IMO. But now I do have triangle head! :laugh:

So I've been wearing my hair in a bun almost every day and I hope that I'll reach APL before I get really tired of my hair as it is (it grows super slow because of the length-eating curls).

Does anyone have any awesome anti-triangle head tricks? http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/haraldette/smilies/loveeyes.gif

Christina
January 11th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Me! It's nice to know that so many of us are starting out as "shorties" :)
I started with a blunt-cut chin length bob, and now it's just brushing my shoulders at almost 17 inches. Goal length is tailbone, or about 36 inches. (I'm 5'4). From when I last grew out my hair, i know that my hair grows about 3/4 to 1 inch per month, so this should take around 2 years.

Just_Isabel
January 11th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Wow, tailbone in 2 years! I wish, I'll probably be at around BSL - midback in 2 years. :rolleyes:

relizabeth
January 11th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I'm at the beginning of this process. My ultimate goal is somewhere between BSL and waist. I think. Anyway, I shaved my head in October and haven't trimmed it since. Thanks for the inspiration! Nice to know I'm not the only one growing out from short/nothing.

Christina
January 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I really hope that I didn't just jinx myself by saying that! That's what the calculator says, if I figure on 3/4 inch per month... XfingersXcrossedX

Just_Isabel
January 11th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I really hope that I didn't just jinx myself by saying that! That's what the calculator says, if I figure on 3/4 inch per month... XfingersXcrossedX

Oh, I don't believe that it's not possible, it's just not possible for me because of the curls, but your hair is straight so your length doesn't get eaten up. ;)
Normal growth rates for wavy and straight haired people look amazing to me because my hair just doesn't do that. :)

catekat
January 11th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I'm growing out a bob now too. I'm at collar bone length, a few inches from APL.

I feel like I'm in uncharted territory. My hair's never been longer than collar bone length. Looking foward to the next few months, reaching APL and whatnot.

I think my hair grows slowly :(. I cut it to chin-length early spring of last year and not APL yet. Is this normal or slow?

ItalianFlower
January 11th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I'm a little past shoulder now, but nowhere close to BSL so...here's to hoping this year is a good growing one! :)

Rabenstolz
January 11th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I'm growing out a pixie cut, and trying oh-so-hard not to think about it too much. I cut my almost hip length hair last April back to somewhere around BSL, then had that cut to a bob last June, which I don't regret, but I do regret going shorter and shorter as summer turned to fall, which ultimately resulted in a super short pixie in November...and now I have a horribly outgrown pixie with lost of layers. Horribly outgrown as in: clearly grown from its original style, but not long enough to do anything with it - not even tucking behind the ears properly. I'm growing to APL, maybe BSL, but beyond that...I haven't really thought about it. I wasn't too happy with the almost-hip length hair, but we'll see what happens this time 'round :).

Hi, fairydust, it seems I went through the same process as you, only two years earlier: "going shorter and shorter as summer turned to fall" (only I started with waist-length hair, instead of hip-length).

And yes, I know the exact awkward phase you're talking about ("clearly grown from its original style, but not long enough to do anything with it"). One thing that helped me feel better about it at that stage and slightly longer: using barrettes and hair clips. Even if unnecessary, they made me feel less bad about my hair. Also, pinning it away from my face really helped me avoid the "shaggy 13-year-old skater boy" look.

As someone who had long hair for so long, cutting it became addictive. It felt liberating, as if I was somehow breaking ties with my past, and also challenging myself to see how daring I could be. Well, thankfully a pixie was "daring" enough and I didn't move on to shaving my head.

So yes, I am a member of this club. I've also been through a ton of stages in the 2 years I have been growing it: from pixie to bob to grown-out bob with bangs to "not quite APL" (where I am now).

suicides_eve
January 16th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I'm at the beginning of this process. My ultimate goal is somewhere between BSL and waist. I think. Anyway, I shaved my head in October and haven't trimmed it since. Thanks for the inspiration! Nice to know I'm not the only one growing out from short/nothing.

if you get a chance check out Igors photo journal on the old archives she has like 5 years of growing out from a buzz to i think it's calf length hair now. very inspiring

FallenAngel
January 17th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I'm growing out a pixie. Don't know where it will take me. I've never ha as a goal to acheve any length before, so I don't really know what kind of hair I have if I try and take care of it.

SHW
January 17th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I'm new here, so this is my first response to a post ;) I had hair that was about 2" long for close to 20 years. I started growing it in Jan 2006, had regular trims until I had a short bob with bangs. Then I stopped having it cut for 2 years until this summer when I had it trimmed for the first time. I have bangs and keep them trimmed myself. You can see in my avatar how far I've come in growing, although my hair is several inches longer right now. My goal is between BSL & waist. I measured my hair starting where my bangs end and got 22". In the back I think it's BSL, but maybe not. When I read other profiles, people at BSL have larger numbers. Even though I have bangs should I measure from my front hair line or am I doing it correctly to start where the bangs end.

It's fun to be here. My friends think I'm wacky because I love my hair so much :)

HairyCarrie
January 17th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Welcome SHW. You will love LHC and BTW my friends think I'm a bit odd for loving it here too. They are very kind about it though and finally my hair looks better than everyone else's. I'm starting to get feedback from them that tells me they really are noticing, especially my dear friend who mentioned she bought some 98cent VO5 conditioner. This from a gal who is a total product snob... :p

I too have bangs but I measure from the hairline for a constant value since I'm always changing the length of my bangs.

Carrie.

fairydust
January 18th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Rabenstolz,your experiences sound exactly the same as mine! For me, too, it felt incredibly liberating to cut my hair, because I felt I had been attached to it so much it was becoming unhealthy. Not to mention the way my parents thought of me - as if I was still a five-year-old. I had had long hair as a child, up until I was 10 years old. After that I had never let it grow longer than shoulder length, until I started growing it again when I was 19. To my parents it seemed like I was returning to my childhood and was again under their protection and control, even.

Well, long story short (pun intended :D), I decided to cut it to show everyone I was not under anyone's control but mine. And what you said about stopping at the pixie and not shaving your head entirely... yeah, I had those thoughts, too. Around September I was actually considering shaving it all off. Thank goodness I didn't!

My hair isn't long enough yet to use any clips or pins, but I reckon in about a month or two I'll finally be able to do something to it again. It's so nice to read about similar experiences and to know that no one is alone in starting the growing process :).

Just_Isabel
January 18th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Even though I have bangs should I measure from my front hair line or am I doing it correctly to start where the bangs end.

Usually, people measure it from their front hair line (and over their head to the back) because that's the most consistent way of measuring it. Here's an article about it: How to Measure Your Hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=9) by Teacherbear.

HTH

Just_Isabel
January 18th, 2009, 03:30 AM
While I was looking for the article about how to measure your hair, I found this one: How long is your hair? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=24) posted by Ursula. It's pretty funny.

According to that list, I'm at Just past shoulder length with curly hair, I think. :D

Oops, it looks like a part is missing in that list because it goes from Well past shoulder length to Halfway to BSL/MBL. :laugh: I wish growing was that fast!
Ok, I searched the archives and here is the original, complete list: How long is your hair? (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27422)

:D

PS: I'll PM Ursula about the list in the articles here.

SHW
January 19th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Great articles and information. I began at spike length : ) I'll measure again and see where I'm at now and update my profile if needed.

It's so interesting to hear (read) peoples hair stories. I've had a hair thing my whole life but never talked about it. Now I find there's lots of people who've had the same thoughts and/or experiences I've had. Hummm...... guess you are never really alone.

I also have an obsession with my horses tail. I like to keep it long, banged at the bottom and as thick and beautiful as I can get it. I don't allow anyone to touch my horses tail. Kinda like I feel about my own hair. :D

Nutty
January 19th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I'm trying to grow my front and side layers down from my chin to SL-BSL my back is just past my shoulders. I've stop using heat on my hair now and I think (hope) its already growing a bit faster. Come on hair Grow!!!!

Eden_Rayn
January 19th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I started out in July with a chin cut as of right now it is just hovering above my shoulders it does touch them when its wet so I don't know yet wither or not I want to count it as shoulder length yet. I have had two dustings however I have not dyed or dusted the ends since October and it seems like I only have an inch or two of growth I have been taken biotin however not religiously I do plan on getting some prenatal Vietminh to see if that speeds up my growth rate. I'll keep you gals posted on that. As for my goal well I would love to have BSL by September but at this rate its not happening but that is the first length goal as for the final goal I want to go to waist and see if it will grow longer than that so who knows.

elrowiel
January 20th, 2009, 08:00 AM
So, time to say goodbye here and go over to "from APL to BSL". :waving:

Just_Isabel
January 20th, 2009, 08:05 AM
So, time to say goodbye here and go over to "from APL to BSL". :waving:

That's an exciting "graduation". :D Congrats on reaching APL! :bounce:

elrowiel
January 20th, 2009, 08:08 AM
That's an exciting "graduation". :D Congrats on reaching APL! :bounce:

Oooooh yes, it's an incredible feeling. :)

Hope to see you all over there very soon. :waving:

backtolonghair
January 20th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Oooooh yes, it's an incredible feeling. :)

Hope to see you all over there very soon. :waving:

Congratulations!:) I can't wait till I get there myself! It will be AWESOME!:D

Christina
January 20th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Yea, Elrowiel - congratulations!

Christina
January 20th, 2009, 11:20 AM
While I was looking for the article about how to measure your hair, I found this one: How long is your hair? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=24) posted by Ursula. It's pretty funny.

BTW, thanks for posting that link - it's great! I almost want to print it out, just for fun, and cross off each one as my hair grows. But then...i'm a big geek... :p

Just_Isabel
January 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM
BTW, thanks for posting that link - it's great! I almost want to print it out, just for fun, and cross off each one as my hair grows. But then...i'm a big geek... :p

Actually, I think that's a really good idea. And I'll add to that: cross each one as the hair grows and add the date of when you first noticed it! :D

I think I'll do that. :agree: :gabigrin:

Christina
January 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Actually, I think that's a really good idea. And I'll add to that: cross each one as the hair grows and add the date of when you first noticed it! :D

I think I'll do that. :agree: :gabigrin:

Oooh, I like that date idea, too! :disco:<- slow banana disco

Gingevere
January 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I started with a bob a bit longer than chin-length. Five years later, my hair's longest layers are BSL. It's taken me awhile because I got a bad perm when my hair was just past my shoulders, so I had to grow that damage out completely. :rolleyes:

Pixna
January 20th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Ok, I searched the archives and here is the original, complete list: How long is your hair? (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27422)

This list is fabulous (as well as hilarious)!!!

I was previously waist length. I am now at chin length, on my way back (hopefully) to TBL or beyond. Can't wait to get to some of the lengths that are further down on the list!!!

Chickadee
January 20th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Me too! Mine was really short when I first joined, way back when, after being waist length (trying not to beat myself up about that anymore) It's almost BSL now.

Christina
January 20th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Ha, same here. Was almost waist, then cut to shoulder, then to chin. Now I'm back to just barely shoulder and aiming for tailbone length.
We'll all get there if we try! :p

Aeasa
January 20th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I've been growing out from a super-short pixie for a few months now...my longest layers are to my shoulders and my shortest are about to my ears...minus the bangs, of course, which I'm also growing out.

LawyerGirl
January 20th, 2009, 02:40 PM

According to that list, I'm at Just past shoulder length with curly hair, I think. :D

Oops, it looks like a part is missing in that list because it goes from Well past shoulder length to Halfway to BSL/MBL. :laugh: I wish growing was that fast!

:D

PS: I'll PM Ursula about the list in the articles here.

According to the very very detailed "how long is your hair" descriptions, I would say I am at "bottom of ears" LOL!

wintersun99
January 20th, 2009, 02:44 PM
According to the very very detailed "how long is your hair" descriptions, I would say I am at "bottom of ears" LOL!

hmm, what do you call "bottom of the ears in back and middle of the ears up front" :D

that's where I am!

LawyerGirl
January 20th, 2009, 02:47 PM
hmm, what do you call "bottom of the ears in back and middle of the ears up front" :D

that's where I am!

Haha I went with an average, since I am at "nape of neck" in the back, "bottom of ears" at the... ear area... and I have bangs!

Yedda
January 25th, 2009, 11:23 PM
This is me- Just past the chin length currently. My goal is BSL. I don't want to grow any longer than BSL. BSL is perfect to me.:eek:

Twitter
January 25th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I'm starting out from a chin-length bob, my goal is waist or maybe hip. Right now, my hair barely brushes my collarbones when wet..

Debra83
January 25th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Last time I posted in this thread was back in November...so let's see if I can post a pic now from yesterday - Jan 24/09. Definitely growing from back then...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=30077&albumid=2126&dl=1232816799&thumb=1

The different color is maybe Henna under strong light? I use the same camera everytime?!!

harpyangel
January 26th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Mine is currently 'just past shoulder length'. I'm going for waist length in about 2 years' time I think! xxx

suicides_eve
January 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM
to get from shoulder length to apl took me roughly 7 months ... That should help give an idea to guesstimate by

A'eorryn
January 31st, 2009, 05:08 AM
Hey everyone! how are you? Just wanted to see how many of you on here are in the processing of growing out your hair from a really short hair cut to BSL or beyond...??

I'm in the process of growing out my shoulder length hair to BSL and then we'll see. I started out at chin, so I"m very happy with how things are going.

Love to hear from you!

Blessings

Oh me definitely! I started back in Sept 2007 at a 1/2" buzz, am now just at APL (or a literal 10") on my lowest layer (5 inches above that/just past shoulder on my highest), and intend to let it go as far as it wants to... unless that's past my feet, I don't know if I could handle THAT much hair ;) I average 2/3" a month, so the bottom layer should hit my first goal of waist (which is about 16" from my nape, 21" from my crown/forehead straight down) in only about 9 months, and the top layer in about 16... at which point the bottom layers will be about 2.5 inches past the most prominent part of my hip-bones! WOW, I didn't realize I was that close! :D So that's a 2-and-1/2-year journey from forehead to waist starting from scratch - almost halfway there! :)

~A'eorryn

LawyerGirl
January 31st, 2009, 09:23 AM
Tomorrow marks 4 months of growing for me...
OCTOBER 2008//PIXIE
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/Elena1282/DSCF1515.jpg

JANUARY 2009//NOW
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/Elena1282/DSCF1552.jpg

I am getting very frustrated with the progress! :(

kam984420
January 31st, 2009, 09:37 AM
Tomorrow marks 4 months of growing for me...
OCTOBER 2008//PIXIE
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/Elena1282/DSCF1515.jpg

JANUARY 2009//NOW
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/Elena1282/DSCF1552.jpg

I am getting very frustrated with the progress! :(

You're making awesome progress! Congrats!:cheese:

LawyerGirl
January 31st, 2009, 09:48 AM
You're making awesome progress! Congrats!:cheese:

I'm tired of it feeling so short.

kam984420
January 31st, 2009, 09:49 AM

I know what you mean. Im trying to grow mine out too. In fact, mine isn't any longer than yours. Let it grow. You'll get there.

Nikky88
January 31st, 2009, 09:51 AM
Hey! glad to find this forum, because I was starting to think that I had pretty short hair compared to others!! In Aug. 2007 I cut my hair just above my shoulders, I didn't mind it but I decided I really wanted long hair! I've gotten my hair trimmed twice since then, and now it is bra strap length, yay! My next goal is to reach mid-back length...I am keeping my fingers crossed that It will be this long by June!
Good luck everyone!!!

Demetrue
January 31st, 2009, 09:57 AM
I know how you feeeeeel!! I just chopped off 2.5 inches to even out the step between the longest layer and the side pieces, AND get rid of more colored/damaged hair. Now it's going to take a good 4/5 months to get back to where it was. I just keep telling myself, by summer time, it will be back to shoulder length again. Basically, I need to stop looking in the mirror until June ....

smilinjenn71
January 31st, 2009, 09:57 AM
kam984420 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=18308), It took until about the 6 mos mark for me to be like... Hey! it's getting longer! Hang in there... you'll be glad you did.

HairyCarrie
January 31st, 2009, 10:07 AM
My 1st post for this thread was the beginning of this month. I said I have 3.75" to get to APL. Today I updated my "current length" field from 16.25 to 17". :) I started MSM this month and I think it gave me the length boost. I also have lots of new hairs in some receding spots at my hairline that have been bald for awhile.

My sides are still inches shorter though and that's frustrating. But I'm glad to get some length in the back.

Happy Growth to everyone! It's nice to have company in this process.

georgia_peach
January 31st, 2009, 03:23 PM
I'm also growing out short layers and am at 15" in back. I'm also growing out henna (if I don't cave in on that), but ultimately I'm aiming for APL. Not sure if I'll go longer.

amiaow
January 31st, 2009, 09:46 PM
I'm growing from ear length to around waist, but not any longer. Waist on me, apart from being really really long because I am really really tall, is long enough to do everything but not so long I look like a crazy old cat lady (which I may be, on the inside!).

Currently at nape of neck/top of shoulders.

suicides_eve
February 6th, 2009, 08:43 AM
kam984420 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=18308), It took until about the 6 mos mark for me to be like... Hey! it's getting longer! Hang in there... you'll be glad you did.

your hair is really growing girl, shoulder length by mid summer?

smilinjenn71
February 6th, 2009, 09:14 AM
your hair is really growing girl, shoulder length by mid summer?

One can only hope! Thanks for noticing.:flower:

I love your siggy pic! Very pretty.

Toadstool
February 7th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I posted in this thread in November. Then went and had my hair cut into an inverted bob to get rid of damage. Now it's growing incredibly slowly but doesn't look TOO bad at the moment. That joy is to come when I get to shoulder length...

melrose1985
February 7th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Hello everyone!

Join the thread late... But i'm in. I'm just a hair pass my shoulders. You know the stage were it wants to flip up on me. I'm hoping to hit APL by nest sept. No cutting for me!

suicides_eve
February 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM
good luck on your goal Melrose1985 apl is a pain to get too. it feels like it takes forever (encouraging right?lol)

Christina
February 10th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I'm at a very awkward length right now - just to the shoulders. It wouldn't be so bad, but I have a thick layer of little hairs at my neck that are so much shorter than the rest - from when I had a bob, I guess.
They're too short to go "up", and without them the rest of my hair isn't stable enough to stay up with sticks and a bun just looks silly. :P
For now, I'm *still* working the low ponytail...
Every weekend I spend a little time playing with it though - someday another style will work! That will be so exciting.

suicides_eve
February 12th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Christina you'll be there in no time. I alway looked at it this way : 3 months = 3inches (for me anyway) and you'll be on your way to PSL

cani
February 13th, 2009, 06:49 AM
i´m in, too :)
i started with a pixie in winter 2005/2006. now i´m between apl and bsl:cheese:
it´s not very fast grow, i know. but i had to cut a lot of layers out, so it´s a looooong way :(

melrose1985
February 13th, 2009, 06:53 AM
good luck on your goal Melrose1985 apl is a pain to get too. it feels like it takes forever (encouraging right?lol)

Very encouraging!!! Nah i see all the progess pictures on here and that keeps me going. By the way you have very pretty curls!

Denebi
February 13th, 2009, 08:41 AM
There's only a small bit missing for BSL... And I hope to reach it this year in summer! :cheer:

nostalgic
February 13th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Hello all! I'm jumping in late but I'm in this category. In just about a year my hair has grown from my avatar pic to just below my shoulders (longest layers). From reading everyone's comments I think I have a really long neck or something :confused:.... When I was at 16 or 17 inches, it was this past summer and I was nowhere near shoulder length! I haven't measured since I've been back on this site and I know my growth REALLY slowed down in the fall/winter but I know I'm at least 19 inches and just shoulder length. I can't wait till APL and I'm aiming for at least waist, maybe tailbone!
I just wanted to give encouragement to those pixies out there: it WILL grow!!! I've grown out from a 1 1/2 pixie to apl ( a few years ago), cut it again until January 2008 and now here I am to stay :D.

HildeMV
February 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I started out somewhere over chin length 3 years ago, but I've cut it a lot because of damage.

Happy growing everyone.

MountainGypsy
February 13th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I am growing out from a short pixie to waist (hopefully). Had a big trim in the beginning of Sept that set me back a bit but now I am just below bsl when the curls are stretched!

Christina
February 16th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Thank you for the encouragement! :)

arabidbutterfly
February 17th, 2009, 03:54 AM
This has encouraged me, too. The waiting is awful, as are the mullet/bowl stages!

suicides_eve
February 17th, 2009, 03:57 AM
mountiangypsy you hair is gorgeous! how long since you had the pixie cut?

Christina
March 18th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Hello! I'm feeling chatty today and had to post an update :)
I can *finally* wear my hairsticks - but only one particularly grippy pair. See, my hair finally just past my shoulders but there isn't enough of it to qualify as a "bun"...more like a flip-over held in place with the sticks. It looks a little like a question mark "?" with part of the ends loose and curved over the top of the twisted part. Still! Something besides a low ponytail. *does a happy dance*

Farina
March 18th, 2009, 11:29 AM
my hair is kinda long (BSL) but it had the crap layered out of it. It's gonna take some time until I get a U hemline at one length

Fayejay
March 19th, 2009, 01:26 AM
I'm about 2 in from BSL on me. I'm 4'11 though. 15mo ago I cut my almost waist length hair to just past my shoulders. I'm on a journey to grow to classical, I think. :eyebrows:

Christina
March 19th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I'm about 2 in from BSL on me. I'm 4'11 though. 15mo ago I cut my almost waist length hair to just past my shoulders. I'm on a journey to grow to classical, I think. :eyebrows:

Yay, Fayejay! We're in the same boat, I think. :bounce: I went from waist, to just past shoulders, to CHIN, now back to shoulders.

ecologystudent
March 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Well, I'm in the process of growing from a very short pixie/long buzz cut, with tail bone as my ultimate goal. I think. In my avatar, you can see the very longest lock of hair on my head- it's shorter elsewhere.

Evie
March 21st, 2009, 04:20 PM
I think it's growing......:cheese:
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u63/evie_066/itsgrowing.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u63/evie_066/backgettinglonger.jpg

I found myself thinking - wow does the back really look like that????

bjjowett1993
March 21st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Well, my signature picture is now null and void. The longest my hair has been as about arm pit length, and I had that cut to my signature picture length, an inch or two below chin length, with bangs. Over the March break, I had it cut again to about jaw length, leaving the bangs alone. It feels amazing, not to have gross ends anymore. My next goal is to grow my bangs out to my chin, then cut it all again blunt, so my hair is all one length. Yayy!!!

GermanCurl
August 14th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I wanted to revive this thread since I am between chin and collarbone lenght right now and my goal is BSL. Is everbody still hanging in there? What kind of styling tips do you have for the akward in-between stage? What did you do to stay motivated? Any feedback is appreciated.

going gray
August 14th, 2009, 08:59 AM
No styling tips unfortunately. I'm about 16" right now, being almost 5"10" I feel I need longer hair to be in proportion to my tall frame. Besides, I'm NOT a short hair person. I FINALLY figured it out, took me awhile!!!

going gray
August 14th, 2009, 09:02 AM
P.S. You ladies have really gotten some GOOD growth!

marikamt
August 14th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Hello all-

Been growing for a couple of years now..... have been at/ past APL for the majority of that, but trimming, cleaning up old color/ damage/ etc..... got layers during that time frame. Am now at "can I call this BSL"... 25.25 inches (gotta take every little bit :D ) but that is the tip of my longest layer.... am really torn with do I keep growing and then decide to clean up ends (healthy, but they look scraggly to me) and maybe grow out layers, trim clean up now (losing 1-2") and regrow..... my ultimate goal (for now) is 30"..... since my ends are healthy, should I just bite the bullet for the next year and clean it up after I reach 30"?????
arrrgghhhhh! Can't decide.......

smilinjenn71
August 14th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I think I'm right at shoulder length:disco:, so I'm claiming it!:p

Silver & Gold
August 14th, 2009, 09:28 AM
That's just about where I am. I had a very short haircut when I started with lots and lots of layers. When I first joined LHC the hair at the back was just about shoulder but the sides and layers weren't barely chin. (My siggy picture was taken a couple of months after I joined I believe. You can see on the left hand side of the photo how my old fringe are is quite short and flipped up because there wasn't enough weight to keep it down yet.) Because the layers were so short and I had damage from coloring and heat styling I trimmed my hair as it grew.

Now 20 months later and my back is slightly past shoulder and my sides and layers are just barely at shoulder. Basically it looks a tiny bit longer from the back only it's getting closer to all one length and from the front the bangs and layers are no longer apparent. It's been slow going for me but I think I reached a point where I can stretch out the trims a lot more and let my hair really grow.

There is a "shorties" group for those who are just beginning to grow out short hair and I created a "Betwixt & Between (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=160)" group for those of us who don't feel like "shorties" anymore but who don't feel like longhairs either. We communicate in fits and spurts it seems but it is a good place to check in now and again for support and advice.

redneckprincess
August 14th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I am at shoulder blade length from a very short pixie, 15 months ago...though I did trim ok I CUT/chopped off a few inches about 6 mo ago... I still consider myself short..though not super short anymore. I dont feel like my hair will ever get past this poing (though I know it will/should) probally because I never let it before

tinybabys
August 14th, 2009, 09:58 AM
II am trying to grow my hair out form really short.

GermanCurl
August 14th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Welcome! I'm growing my hair out from Bob to BSL. You've come to the right place.

Reptilia
August 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Me!

My longest hairs are just hitting BSL, but I have layers at about APL and a little at shoulder.

I recently trimmed off about an inch at the very longest, as my hair grows into a V shape naturally and the ends were starting to fairytale, and I don't like that so much. I plan to try to keep it as as neat as possible until the longest parts hit waist, then maintain waist until everything else catches up, then I think I'll keep a U-shaped hemline and from there perhaps go to hip! I can't see myself with anything longer than tail bone, but I suppose that could change.

I'm starting to feel like I have long hair now. This is about as long as I've ever had it, by this point I usually want to cut it. Not this time!!

Phoenix81377
August 14th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I last cut mine to just below my ears at the longest layer in December 08. Now I am brushing shoulder length and going for waist eventually! But BSL is a great starting goal so I am checking in! I need the accountability because this mid-length is not good on me at all...stay away from the scizzors.

<taps fingers impatiently, raises fist at hair...grow darn you!!!!>

AnneAdeline
August 14th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I started growing when I was at shoulder. After about two years, I'm at waist (maybe even close to hip). When I look back, I realize that my hair was actually growing, even though so many times it seemed to stop.

Stubborn
August 14th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Waiting patiently for waist :) 2 more years and I'm there.

Raven2448
August 14th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I'm also on the wagon. Although, I must admit that I made it thru the worst of times and the rest is the waiting game.

rogue_psyche
August 14th, 2009, 07:20 PM
This time last year I had collarbone length hair (which pre-LHC I considered to be shoulder) but it wasn't terrible to grow out since I had no funky layers to deal with. My advice would be keep trims at a minimum. From collarbone to BSL took a year for me with a cut in between where the beauty college student was afraid to take as much as I asked. Thank goodness, because I think I would've gone back to collarbone and regretted it when I found LHC! :rolleyes:

halo_tightens
August 14th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Yes, I'm another one. I've kept my hair super-short, anywhere from an inch or less to just below the jaw, for quite a few years now. I'm just an inch or two past shoulder now, and quite impatient for more!!!

BSL is when I'll start to feel like it's getting long, I think-- but I have no plans to stop there! :)

missmagoo
August 14th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I'm just about at APL right now, but I have a lot of much shorter layers and I had a short, modern, shag for a long time.

For me, the best way to make it through the "awkward" stage was to keep my bangs and front layers cut and cute. I wouldn't have been able to not cut my hair when it was between chin and shoulder length. At that length it's really too short to look good up, so I needed to maintain a "style" while it was growing out.

It was also easier, for me, to make the transition from short hair to long hair, by maintaining my shorter front layers.

Of course, this probably made the whole process longer for me, but I had fun in the meantime!

shaybabe8604
August 14th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Meeee! My hair is chin length when stretched. I cut off about 8 inches of relaxed hair when I decided to stop relaxing my hair, and now I'm trying to grow waist lenth HEALTHY hair.

Lilli
August 15th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I am jaw length (might be chin length but I got bangs so those longest front pieces are gone.) I have been clipping my bangs back because it looks longer when I do that. I have vacillated between jaw and shoulder for years so I need to just relax and remember that it goes quickly if I just leave it be.

Kat
August 15th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Yup...I had long hair as a kid, then got it cut to chin length in about the 4th grade and wore it anywhere from chin to shoulder length until high school. The last time I cut it short was for my senior pictures--I'd decided to grow it before that, but it was at that in-between stage where it was halfway between chin and shoulder and my mom pointed out that it'd look a lot better chin-length and I could re-start my growing after that.

Of course, that was 8 or 9 years ago and now I'm pretty sure I've hit terminal length. So I can't say I'm currently in the process of growing out from pretty short hair, but that's definitely where I started.

Backliteyes
August 15th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I started growing out my hair from about shoulder/collarbone length, and it's right about at APL currently.

hydrangea
August 15th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I started growing mine out from a pixie cut. I have been maintaining at jaw length for the past year. Now I am just above shoulder length and determined to keep it growing!

23_seconds
August 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
||||||||||

GermanCurl
August 17th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I'm also on the wagon. Although, I must admit that I made it thru the worst of times and the rest is the waiting game.
Collarbone (which I'll hit in 3-4 months) is usually the toughtest lenght for me. With my curls it's hard to wear it open (pyramid effect) and I get an itch to just cut it all off and forget it. However then I kick myself for cutting it and have to start over again. It's like I'm on a merry-go-round from hell!
I think I will have to wear my hair up until Spring. At my growth rate of 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch a month, I should be at 20" in April. At that lenght gravity should keep my curls down.

GermanCurl
August 17th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Yup...I had long hair as a kid, then got it cut to chin length in about the 4th grade and wore it anywhere from chin to shoulder length until high school. The last time I cut it short was for my senior pictures--I'd decided to grow it before that, but it was at that in-between stage where it was halfway between chin and shoulder and my mom pointed out that it'd look a lot better chin-length and I could re-start my growing after that.

Of course, that was 8 or 9 years ago and now I'm pretty sure I've hit terminal length. So I can't say I'm currently in the process of growing out from pretty short hair, but that's definitely where I started.
My mom did the same thing to me this May! I grew my hair out for 7 months, then mom came to visit, told me that I'm getting to old for longer hair (thank you very much!) and I would look better with a bob. Stupid me listened to her and snip, snip... the past 7 months were gone in a flash. Thankfully it was only the layered part that got chopped off and of course here I go again growing it patiently, but it sure was a set back. My hair could have been at APL right now.

Lilli
August 18th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Collarbone (which I'll hit in 3-4 months) is usually the toughtest lenght for me. With my curls it's hard to wear it open (pyramid effect) and I get an itch to just cut it all off and forget it. However then I kick myself for cutting it and have to start over again. It's like I'm on a merry-go-round from hell!
I think I will have to wear my hair up until Spring. At my growth rate of 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch a month, I should be at 20" in April. At that lenght gravity should keep my curls down.

I have straight hair but collarbone is really difficult for me, too, b/c my hair brushing my shoulders makes it string up and look pretty limp. It has to get long enough to stay behind my back before it stops being stringy (or short enough it doesn't touch my shoulders, but we're not doing that anymore!)

Fencai
August 18th, 2009, 06:48 AM
oh yeah! I guess if I figured it out, I had a pixie in the beginning of 05 and then let it get to chin and had maintained it for a while at shoulder length. Now its just past BSL and Im gonna keep on growing!

Maddy25
August 18th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Im at shoulder length!!! It sucks but it can only get longer :)

wiggleit76
August 18th, 2009, 07:50 AM
My hair is just past my collar bone after it's such a pain!

Even with long layers my waves give me traingle-head and the ends get really stringy from rubbing on my shoulders PLUS I'm growing out my fringe...:rolleyes:

For now I'm braiding my hair back as much as possible and hoping for it to grow quickly!:pray:

missfortune9335
August 18th, 2009, 11:06 AM
that's me too! I started growing out a pixie last year, got to chin length, and am now at shoulder aiming for BSL

Gilly
August 18th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Mine is still at collar length but it does seem to be growing at long last!
I have discovered that if I use a conditioner with Amodimethicone in it on the ends that I can stop the usual problem of the back getting really nasty and dry:cheese: I am going to use that cone as long as I need to if it means that my hair will finally get to a managable length!

I need to get longer before I can neglect it!!

Cynder
August 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Add me to the growing out crowd!

I chopped off my BSL hair to an inverted bob last year, and decided before he was done blowfrying my hair that I was growing it out again (cut it off because my then 5 month old was a major hair puller). I had it trimmed and evened out in January, and it is currently down to my shoulders. I'm hoping to have between APL and BSL before Christmas this year.

Pixna
August 18th, 2009, 02:47 PM
ME!!! I was about an inch all over in August 2007 (prior to that I was at waist length). My hair is now almost grazing my shoulders. I'm going for long, though, baby -- super long. Hopefully I'll get there before I'm petrified, ancient, and decrepit. Please wish me luck! :gabigrin:

irishcurls
August 19th, 2009, 11:41 AM
My hair is down to my arm pits. It started right below my chin in March. I cant wait to make it to bra strap. Then i can move on to waist length. Then I am done. Woot Woot!

pink.sara
August 19th, 2009, 11:56 AM
ME!!! I was about an inch all over in August 2007 (prior to that I was at waist length). My hair is now almost grazing my shoulders. I'm going for long, though, baby -- super long. Hopefully I'll get there before I'm petrified, ancient, and decrepit. Please wish me luck! :gabigrin:

Ha ha! Good luck :cheer:

I have a very similar story, cut my 42 inches to 3 all over, now the longest bits are 9 inches and its touching my shoulders at the front but nape of the neck at the back.
I'm out for those 42 inches if I can... bearing in mind I was 20 when I started growing the first time so this will be much slower! :rolleyes:

And you're so far from decrepit I'm sure your hair will be awesome before you know it! :D

GermanCurl
August 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Irishcurls what are you doing to get such growth?
That's at least an inch of growth per month! Please let us in on your secret.

dernhelm
August 19th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I'm shoulder length right now. Hoping to be bsl next summer.:sun:

BrianaFineHair
August 19th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Feb/March of 2008 I decided to grow my chin length "bob" out to my first goal of bra strap length. Here we are Aug 09 and its only barely past my shoulders. Extremely slow, extremely frustrating. It's also very fine and thin, so that makes the process worse, imo.

Lilli
August 19th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Feb/March of 2008 I decided to grow my chin length "bob" out to my first goal of bra strap length. Here we are Aug 09 and its only barely past my shoulders. Extremely slow, extremely frustrating. It's also very fine and thin, so that makes the process worse, imo.

Have you been trimming?

Pixna
August 20th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Ha ha! Good luck :cheer:

I have a very similar story, cut my 42 inches to 3 all over, now the longest bits are 9 inches and its touching my shoulders at the front but nape of the neck at the back.
I'm out for those 42 inches if I can... bearing in mind I was 20 when I started growing the first time so this will be much slower! :rolleyes:

And you're so far from decrepit I'm sure your hair will be awesome before you know it! :D

Aww, thanks Pink.Sara!! I really appreciate your encouragement. I hope these next 42 inches speed by for you!!!

apynip
August 20th, 2009, 02:13 PM
i'm between chin and shoulder length at the moment and my goal is classic or at least tail bone length. hopefully between BSL and waist lenth by graduation(may '10!)

butterflycayton
August 20th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Got it cut to bottom of neck about a year ago. now getting close to apl. Up until about five years ago I always had bsl or longer. :) hopefully I'll be getting close to bsl by next fall.

GermanCurl
October 30th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Thought I ask how everybody is coming along with their growth...
I'm at 17" now.
Any comment or update is welcome.

missjessiecakes
October 30th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Me!

I started with a shaggy pixie and my overall goal is classic.

LawyerGirl
October 30th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Still short! *sigh*

GermanCurl
October 30th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Still short! *sigh*

I know how you feel. It's seems to take foreeeeveeeer to reach shoulder lenght.

Bonkers57
October 30th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Mine's about an inch longer than my chin (with some face framing layers) and a little shorter in the back. I can pull the back into a short pony (I started with a pony stub - huzzah!) I may keep a little layering around my face to keep the look soft, but I'll be happy when I can get the bulk of my hair into a pony and can loosely tuck my bangs/fringe behind my ear (if I don't give in and cut them first!) When it starts to get hot around here again (next April or May) I should be there.

Leena7
October 30th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I'm not exactly sure if my hair is shoulder length yet, but I'm growing from a shaggy pixie with long bangs (2nd attempt now!). I really want to say I'm at shoulder length finally, but I look like I'm just barely there, especially because my ends tend to curl up by themselves. Sigh. I haven't had a haircut since April. I cannot wait for BSL hair!

halo_tightens
October 30th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I had forgotten that I'd posted in this thread back in August, but I said then that my hair was "an inch or two past shoulder." Well, it still feels like it's an inch or two past shoulder!!!!

At the same time that my hair is getting longer, it's also getting wavier. I think the two are working together to make my hair appear to stay always the same length. Gaaaaah! :rolleyes:

Still not giving up on it, though. I'll show you, hair... I can wait as long as you can...

smilinjenn71
October 30th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Mine is at 18 1/4" ..... and yes, every 1/4 counts!:p

I can finally get *most* of it up in a pony tail now...YAY!!!:cheese:

Francoise1606
November 1st, 2009, 09:17 AM
I'm kind of at APL but I have these awful layers to grow out so i guess it sort of puts me at less than chin length with the shortest layers. they can't even get behind my ears! it's so frustrating... :(

Demetrue
November 1st, 2009, 09:44 AM
My longest layers have reached shoulder when wet, but they wave up again when dry. I have some layers reaching chin length now. I am going to keep trimming my bangs to eyebrow length while leaving all the other layers alone. I don't even want to think about trimming until the chin length layers are past shoulder, otherwise it will take years to ever get to the length I want.

Cholera
November 1st, 2009, 10:33 AM
Awesome combo thread.

About two years ago (jeez, it doesn't seem that long ago!), I cut my hair to my chin for the summer. I didn't like it too much.. So I decided I'd grow it out. I maintained it at a little above shoulder for a while, and then I decided I wanted to grow it to my waist! So here I am!

Currently, I'm 20", about an inch or an inch and a half away from APL. I'm very excited :D

MissMay
November 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM
*waves*

Just past shoulder length (woopee!) and I'm aiming for a nice blunt hemline at mid back. I'm crossing my fingers that I can get there by next Christmas . . . It's so hard to not use the straighteners though! =(

2peasinapod
November 1st, 2009, 12:09 PM
:waving:Hi everyone!

Wow, this is exactly what I'm trying to do. I started with a pixie (maybe 2 in at the longest part, about 1 inch (or even less at some parts!) all around). Right now it's about chin length, but it's hard to tell sometimes with the waves.

I've never had hair past my shoulders before, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks. I've never really liked my hair, but that was before I knew how to take care of it. Now that I've gotten so much good advice, I actually like the way my hair looks right now (chin used to be the most awkward length for me - waves starting to come in, but I had no idea how to take care of them).

Thanks LHC and good luck everybody! :D

Fractalsofhair
November 1st, 2009, 12:15 PM
Yep. I'm growing out a pixie, and hope to be hitting my shoulders by the end of the year with the front. (The back is already doing so.). I'm thinking somewhere between waist and hip, but I'm not sure. I am not growing to terminal though, since I know that can get long with my family.(Brother had knee length hair, no taper, just frayed ends(and not good fairytale ones!), while balding, with wearing it down or in a bad ponytail all the time, with bad scrunchies, very little conditioner, and harsher shampoos. His hair was DAMAGED, but it still grew pretty long. My hair breaks a little more easily than his, but I don't think the terminal length is going to be substianitally shorter.) The longest I would ever consider would be ankles probably.

hmmm
December 18th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Reviving this thread!
I reached shoulder this month, but it's still short overall and I can't wait till most of it is at shoulder length.

georgia_peach
December 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I'm past chin and almost touching the tops of my shoulders now. My bangs are down to the tip of my nose. since I have a long chin AND a long nose, I feel like I've made great progress! :D

melrose1985
December 18th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I've posted in this thread before, but just to update. I'm finally at APL with a year of growing and a tiny cut at the end of my "no cutting for a year" challenge. YOu can see in my siggy i'm pretty close to the top of BSL so i'm hoping by spring time, (or by the time i'm a bridesmaid for my best friend) that i'm to the bottom of BSL. And Onward to waist!

Kalyca
December 18th, 2009, 01:29 PM
i'm at just about chin length right now. it's a pain lol but i'm getting there.. slowly

smilinjenn71
December 18th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I suppose there isn't any length marker between shoulder and APL?:confused:

That's sad .... it's gonna be awhile before I'll be back to update.:p I just evened up my hemline by about 1/2", so that put me back to 181/4" for overall length.

rhondalicious
December 18th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I'm at chin length now, from a pixie cut in September... working my way down. And I know I have a bad habit of going short every 3 or 4 years, but the last 2 times I am sick of short hair after a month... So no more! My '10 resolution is no haircuts/trims (Except for dusting if necessary).

lucys
December 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I'm in. Started at chin and realised today that I am almost brushing collarbone, if I pull the wavies straight. Hurray! That feels like progress. :-)

Pear Martini
December 18th, 2009, 03:37 PM
:beerchug: A toast to all of my shorties trying to grow long hair. Remember, its not the destination.... its the journey :D

LKayL
December 18th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I'm in! :cheese:

talecon
December 29th, 2009, 08:06 AM
oh I had to go back pages to find this one. Its been a long road but I'm a smidge from fully reaching bsl. the ends of my hair reach the very top of my bra strap. btw can anyone tell me whats the correct way of measuring? cuz, I have no clue

Addy
December 29th, 2009, 08:53 AM
From the hairline, over the top of the head and down the back. ;)

mommat04
December 29th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Really short to waist!

curlylocks85
December 29th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I was about APL when I went and had 4" cut off due to damage. Now, I am at shoulder length maybe a little longer. Right now APL is where I am aiming, once I reach that then I will focus on longer lengths.

Demetrue
December 29th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I'm getting annoyed because even though the longest layers are at shoulder, the shorter layers are only at chin and cheek length AND they are already wispy, crispy and damaged looking. I want to cut that part so badly, but it will just make my mullett stage more prolonged, so I will trim a little from the very bottom now and then until the mullett wispies finally catch up.

LaBeq
December 30th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Let's see...my hair is about chin length right now, which is very long for someone who has always kept her hair as short as I have. Considering how thin and fine my hair is, I don't know if it will actually look good long, or if it will even grow long--I suspect I have a very short terminal length, since I've never gotten it past my shoulders before. But I think I want to just let it grow for a while and see what happens!

SlightlySoprano
December 31st, 2009, 03:14 PM
I was at APL, had to take off 2 inches of damage in october, now i'm nearing APL again and i'm DYING to get to BSL and BEYOND!

The damage was from when i had my hair chin length, i used to flat iron it EVERY DAY *shudders*

I know better now!

MandyBeth
January 4th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Jaw length or so now, may have to cut 2-3" off in time. But we are going for broke and with some hand holding and nerve calming, I'm willing to let my hair grow as long as it gets. But I may come whining for help when it's at my shoulders and I can't do anything.

GermanCurl
January 4th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I started out chin length in May and I am currently at shoulder lenght. My goal is not to cut or trim my hair throughout 2010 since it is healthy (no splits etc.). I should reach APL in October of this year.

Unofficial_Rose
January 4th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I'm getting annoyed because even though the longest layers are at shoulder, the shorter layers are only at chin and cheek length AND they are already wispy, crispy and damaged looking. I want to cut that part so badly, but it will just make my mullett stage more prolonged, so I will trim a little from the very bottom now and then until the mullett wispies finally catch up.

Oooh, I hear you! I have the exact same problem. I keep oiling the crunchy short layers at the sides because I don't want to trim the healthy back. :rolleyes: In fact, I simply can't face getting it trimmed at all, which is very unlike the pre-LHC me - any sign of damage and I used to run off for a cut.

*girlypearl*
January 7th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Yes! I too had BSL and cut it to a neck~length bob a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe I did that!!! I was so disappointed almost immediately. I thought I wanted a change, but was I mistaken. Anyway.... I feel that my hair does grow pretty quick, but I still dread the waiting game. My hair is approximately 15 in. and my short term goal is 20 in. by summer, and long term of 30 in. by Jan. 2011
(very optimistic.. LOL!!) But yes I am in the same boat you are and I feel your pain! Why do we do this to ourselves? We love long hair, but then we go and get it cut after it is BSL or beyond, then we complain and want to grow it long again!! Oh boy.......... Well at least we can all offer eachother growth support!!
*Happy Growing*

Duessa
January 7th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Last December (2008), I cut my hair to just barely brushing my shoulders, approximately 15 inches for the longest layer. It had several long layers, face framing done with a razor, and then highlighted. ROFLMAO! I can't BELIEVE I did that. I did it to enter student teaching where I was informed over and over again that I did not look "professional" with "undone" hair. I don't know how long my hair was for sure but it wasn't really all that long...probably as long as it is now. In any case, when student teaching didn't quite work out I decided I was stupid for cutting it. plus my bf didn't like it. and I had to flat iron every day! I had to turn up all of those razored edges and brush some body into my crispy, lifeless hair. So now, one year later I've added about 10inches of growth to my longest layers! :D I'm going to just keep going until i decide to stop. I like the idea of at least elbow length but I'm pretty sure that since I don't like paying for haircuts and don't want someone to try to convince me to chop it off that I won't be stopping unless I'm dieing to. lol I hope this story helps you all in your grow out. I'm progressing right along and you can too! In fact I was just directed here less than a week ago so I've gotten 10 inches in one year without any help here and with just elcheapo shampoo and conditioner and no knowledge whatsoever. Good luck to you all!

Addy
January 7th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Yes! I too had BSL and cut it to a neck~length bob a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe I did that!!! I was so disappointed almost immediately. I thought I wanted a change, but was I mistaken. Anyway.... I feel that my hair does grow pretty quick, but I still dread the waiting game. My hair is approximately 15 in. and my short term goal is 20 in. by summer, and long term of 30 in. by Jan. 2011
(very optimistic.. LOL!!) But yes I am in the same boat you are and I feel your pain! Why do we do this to ourselves? We love long hair, but then we go and get it cut after it is BSL or beyond, then we complain and want to grow it long again!! Oh boy.......... Well at least we can all offer eachother growth support!!
*Happy Growing*

I'm so sorry you have regrets. I on the other hand planned my last cut er two. I was getting rid of two-toned color from growing out dye since 8/08. I know it was a HUGE set back for me length wise because I was past bsl but now, I don't have to look at a definate demarcation line and that there makes me happy.

I will admit though that I miss seeing my length in the mirror and I definately miss using my sticks but in a few short months, I'll be back to using the sticks, I'll gain length and yes, I can't wait but then again, I can because it won't happen over night! I just get up, wash and go! :)

RocketDog
January 7th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I shaved my head three years ago, and am almost at BSL now, although I maintained my hair in an angled bob for a good 18 months of that time so I cut off a lot of my growth during that time. If I had left my hair untouched I'd be well past waist by now...

Bellona
January 7th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I started out with a horrible looking short shag/long pixie back in July. I don't really know how to classify it, except that it was ugly :) The longest layers were above shoulder and the shortest were above my eye and just sticking up everywhere. I cut my waist length hair into this mess, well, I was hoping for a nicer haircut but that didn't happen.

Anyway, now I'm a few inches past shoulder with my longest layers and below my ears with my shortest. I can't wait for the shortest layer to hit shoulder. My longest ones should hit BSL by then.
Good luck! I've had many frustrations thus far, and this is a good place to get support.

Oooh, I hear you! I have the exact same problem. I keep oiling the crunchy short layers at the sides because I don't want to trim the healthy back. :rolleyes: In fact, I simply can't face getting it trimmed at all, which is very unlike the pre-LHC me - any sign of damage and I used to run off for a cut.

I have had that same problem for so long! My hair was basically cut into the awkward stage, which was horrible, but now I feel like my shortest layers are so uneven, damaged, and gross from the razoring and thinning shears that were used on them. I feel your pain, everyone who has to deal with this!

*girlypearl*
January 7th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Bellona: That's really great growth for only 6 mos. though. Congrats on the Shoulder Length!!
*Happy Growing*

CrisDee
January 7th, 2010, 03:14 PM
This is a fabulous thread - I'm SO there!

Here's a pictorial review of my hair -

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n417/CrisDee1958/Hair/Short%20and%20growing%20out/collage3.jpg

In March 2009, I chopped to pixie the BSL chemically dyed red hair that I'd received so many compliments on for 20 years! I needed a change, and at the time my hair was all I could control :) I switched at that time from chemical dye to henna. Kept the pixie for about 6 months, during which time all the chemically dyed hair grew out, and was left with only virgin hair plus henna. Decided in about September to start growing again - short hair just isn't me, I'm a long haired person at heart. Have had a couple trims to keep the Mullet of Death from sending me to the nut house :wigtongue: And now it's a daily fight to keep it from looking like the 13 year old shaggy skater boy someone else mentioned :) My goal is blunt cut chin length by the end of the summer (with bangs), and then I'm just gonna let it grow as long as it'll grow, just to see how long that is! This thread is such an encouragement, as is this entire site - thanks to all who've posted! :)

*girlypearl*
January 7th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I really dislike my short hair and just wish it would grow!!! It looked terrible today. I tried to put some waves in it by pin~curling it, and what a mess. I looked like I got into a fight with a pair of scissors! :( :( :( I have gotten sooo many compliments on my short hair, and I smile kindly and say, "Thank You" when I really just want to say, "Are you serious? You really like this, vs. my LONG hair? What's wrong with you?" Then I realize that I am taking my frustration out on them and that I am the only one I can blame for cutting my hair and..... I smile kindly and say, "Thank You" It's amazing how in one split second you can take away so much hard work and effort.... and the worst part is..... you CAN'T blame it on someone else, which we love to do. LOL! Thanks for listening to me rant!
*Happy Growing*:rant::rant::rant:

Bonkers57
January 7th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I think I'm at a stage right now where I can do the same - go without a trim for as long as I can stand it (hopefully for all of 2010) :meditate:

I'll qualify that by saying no trims except for bangs.

I started out chin length in May and I am currently at shoulder lenght. My goal is not to cut or trim my hair throughout 2010 since it is healthy (no splits etc.). I should reach APL in October of this year.

free_hug
January 8th, 2010, 08:45 PM
me too, yaaaay!

well, i had this long on-and-off affair wih short hair, i really did everything in my power for our relationship, and then i just had to face it... maybe we were not made for each other. we have to try separately. well, once i reach the famous BS deadline, i'll see things more clearly... but yeah, that's were i'm heading, with you people :)

BrightEyes
January 8th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I'm soo happy to find this thread!!! I've had bob cuts for the past 9 years, and I actually liked having short hair. But I've always DREAMED of having long hair. I tried to grow my hair last year, but once it got to my shoulders (unfortunately that's where it is now) I started to notice every other cute bob cut around me and the next thing you know CHOP!! There goes 6 months of growth!!! So here I am again! But I am determined this time to get to BSL!!!! Long hair, here I come!

Kunoichi
January 9th, 2010, 12:24 AM
I'm in this group too! Started 02/01/09 with a fresh cut at 14". Now I'm at 20.5" and about 2.5" from APL :cheese:

Long hair is sooo much easier for me than short. I guess you could say that I just don't want to be bothered with havin to visit a hair salon every 3 weeks to maintain a style. Benign neglect is my style :D.

I don't really have set goal for length, I kind of just want to see how long it will get, but we'll see as we go along how much I can handle. ;)

mowo
January 9th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I join to this thread too ^_^. Past last few years I have had bob haircut. Now i decide to that's enough of short hair. I always envy women with long shiny hair so now I will get that too. This is my first goal. Now after two months I have shoulder length. I hope that they will grow fast and I will reach BSL length as soon as possible. I can not wait already :D

CrisDee
January 11th, 2010, 07:32 AM
This is the third time in my life that I've chopped off BSL hair to pixie, then grown it out again. But for some reason, this time seems to be the hardest in growing it back out - can't figure out why. I don't remember the layers and mullet driving me nuts before the way they are now. Maybe I'm just older and less tolerant of irritations :p The hardest part for me will be getting all the pixie layers grown to a blunt style - then it's a total no-brainer to just let it grow from there :) So glad I found this site and its tips and tricks to help speed the process! :cheese:

MandyBeth
January 11th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Need one or two more trims to get my hair all the way evened out - but it is growing. Slowly but surely....

Messyhair
January 11th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I started at about a pixie or something - I just get it all cut so it spikes, which is about an inch long. I had it dyed black, but then I decided to grow out the dye since I was planning on getting pregnant. So now I have natural-coloured, shoulder length hair. The hair in the front is about chin length since I've let it just grow on its own and now have natural layers.

My aim is to go grow to at least BSL, but I may decide to go back to waist... I had my hair at waist/hips for about a year before a vindictive stylist cut my hair off above BSL. :( I haven't had the heart to grow it back since... I keep thinking it will be taken away on me again. Sigh... so I'm trimming it myself this time around.

GermanCurl
January 13th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I measured my hair today (out of boredom) and I am happy to report that I am at 18" which is collarbone lenght for me.

It is growing after all :) I am so exited:D

APL here I come :cheese:

Beesweet
January 13th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I think we need a support group.
I sound like all of you. After a sad chop, I am back at a bob. It looks okay, but now I hae to start all over. What I need to do is stop MESSING with color -- it gets damaged or I become fickle, and then I cut.
Even the henna got to be too much for me -- which is why I chopped the last time.

Now I have highlights -- they look great, but I am afraid I will start messing with them and cut because I think it is damaged.

Oh well, nothing to do but leave it alone and love it and watch it grow!

tiggens
January 13th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I sound like all of you. After a sad chop, I am back at a bob. It looks okay, but now I hae to start all over. What I need to do is stop MESSING with color -- it gets damaged or I become fickle, and then I cut.
Even the henna got to be too much for me -- which is why I chopped the last time.

Now I have highlights -- they look great, but I am afraid I will start messing with them and cut because I think it is damaged.

That's it! I forget now who said it but a wise lady on this board said, "Always remember, your hair today is longer than it was yesterday!" and another said something to the effect of "If you want it to be, today is the shortest your hair will be for the rest of your life!" :p Seems silly, but it was very inspirational to me when I was in "one day at a time" mode.

The last time I wrote in this thread I was at pixie and now I'm somewhere in the no man's land between chin and shoulder. I am pretty much at peace with my hair now, not obsessing, just happily watching it grow. I will be excited when it gets solidly to shoulder and even MORE excited when I can cut it to be one length!!! Oh I am excited for that day.

chaoticwaves
January 13th, 2010, 01:13 PM

Hi Beesweet,

Hair coloring has always been my downfall (along with straightening). The last hair oopsy was done last summer when I tried going blond. It ended up the brassy light color you get from home kits, and I ended up dying darker twice in a row. Now, of course, the length of my hair has lost the dark color because of the previous bleaching. I decided then that I wouldn't color my hair again. It's been about 6 months since I have colored my hair, and I can already see the improvement. I know for me; if I want long hair, I can't color.

My hair is currently kinda touching my shoulders. Some days it seems a lot shorter than that because my curls take away length differently. It is frustrating to be at this length and I can't wait to get past shoulders and grow out these darn layers. :)

chaoticwaves
January 13th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I measured my hair today (out of boredom) and I am happy to report that I am at 18" which is collarbone lenght for me.

It is growing after all :) I am so exited:D

APL here I come :cheese:
YAY GermanCurl! :D I hope I'm not too far behind!!

mrs_b
January 13th, 2010, 02:05 PM
here! :hifive:
I joined TLHC 2 years ago when my hair was shoulder length. Back then I wanted grow my hair up to bra strap length. I put my hairfryer away and I started to CO alternatively with a gentle sulfates free shampooing. then suddenly I couldn't look at my hair, it appeared to be so lifeless, thin, fine, limp, tired, just name it. I was convinced that with my type of hair there is no way I can have long hair. so I cut it :couch: to chin length and I didn't even dare to look in TLHC anymore. However I took all your advice to my heart and took care of my short hair everyday.

Time flies and her I am again. Now my hair is APL and I would like to stick to my plan and let it grow to BSL (or more) and keep it in good shape. No more :scissors: !!!

Hough!

BrightEyes
January 13th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Count me in! My hair is barely past my shoulders and my goal is BSL, no longer.
I'm trying SO hard to talk myself out of my next highlight appointment (thankfully it's not until Feb 6). I know it's just not good for my hair. I've been treating my hair so good lately, it seems so wrong to damage it with highlights, but I don't want to have a regrowth line....oh what to do, what to do??:confused:

Bellona
January 13th, 2010, 03:20 PM
You'd be surprised how well highlights can actually grow out. I have "roots" that I thought were a HUGE deal like 4 months ago, but now it's all semi blended in. It probably depends on what color your virgin hair is, though. Mine's light brown or dark blonde (still can't quite tell), so it's not as noticeable as say someone with black or red hair trying to grow out blonde.

Stormy1
January 13th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I had a momentary loss of sanity and cut it all over a few years ago.
I'm at 19 inches right now, looking anxiously at APL

Beesweet
January 13th, 2010, 06:28 PM
ChaoticWaves -- I am with you! I am already back on the site and dreaming of henna again.

If I could only find the RIGHT henna, (maybe I used too strong -- Yemen instead of jamila) or more of a mix with cassia instead of straight henna or maybe I should have done that second all over color and just done roots only.....
I currently henna one of my daughters and it looks amazing. She has dark brown hair and the henna shows up in the son and is perfect. I even love the ritual and the small of henna. I live vicariously through her.

Maybe I should do some cassia........hmmmm......

FlyBabyTina
January 13th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Me too! This past year has seen me go from the wispy tips of my hair almost able to sit on, to shoulder, to pixie, to hot pink, stripped out the pink so now it is blonde... phew... now it is growing again :)