PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Face-framing Layers...Suggestions?

Angellen
November 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
So, I think I'm going to cut in some face-framing layers, hopefully either later tonight or tomorrow, but maybe later in the week. I saw a picture of myself with all my hair slicked back and because it's pretty straight I thought it looked too severe for my tastes. For the last 7 or so years (not including this past year on LHC) I've had face framing layers, and now that I wear my hair up all the time, I'd like to soften the look some. I don't have a very high forehead, so bangs end up looking kind of funny on me, and I have a very stubborn center part, so side-swept bangs are also out of the picture.

I'm probably going to cut them to shoulder length, first, and then even them up to chin length. I don't want layers in the rest of my hair, just a little in the front to soften my look. If it helps, I have an almost perfectly oval face. ;)

All that said, I'm still a bit nervous. I've been toying with this idea for months, but I'd be cutting more than 12 inches, which is pretty intimidating. I thought I saw an article on it, but I don't see it now...perhaps I am imagining things?

Anyway, I wanted to know if you guys have any suggestions or tips before I begin. I'm not a complete novice at cutting hair, but I won't be able to get to a stylist for another month at least, so I want to do my best the first time around. :)
(Of course, final product pics will be included!)

ETA: I'm also curious about those of you who already have layers like these: love 'em/hate 'em? Do they require much maintenance for you, or are they wash-and go? What do you like or dislike about bangs like these? The only real con I have about this particular style from what I remember, is that it will fall into my face when I'm bending over (like when washing my face, for example).

Thanks! :flower:

Vitalai
November 23rd, 2008, 12:09 AM
Funny you should mention seeing an article! I know I saw one somewhere. I even had it saved to my favorites, but now the link is missing. So I don't have any advice there. Hopefully someone can locate it!

I have face-framing layers and side-swept bangs. I love them because they really do soften up my face when I do updos. Before I had my hair all one length and no bangs. It really did not suit me at all.

They are pretty much wash-and-go. Sometimes, the ends flare out the wrong way and I have to wet it and curl it back inside with my fingers, but it dries the way I want it to other than that. They can be annoying when I play tennis, because my bangs and these layers always fly into my face, despite my attempts at bobby pinning them down. Usually, I sweep them under a cap, but since its been winter, I don't have an excuse to wear one anymore.

Since you've been thinking about this for awhile already, I say go for it if you really want them!

ETA: Have you tried taaz.com? You could upload your picture and try on a style with face-framing layers to see how they look.

AngelInDisguise
November 23rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
You might want to try this link: http://www.hairfinder.com/hair3/frame-face.htm or this video instructions: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/33582_long-hairstyles-step-two.htm.

It helped me a lot, when I had to cut my front layers myself (as I wanted to grow out to loooooooooong hair and did not trust any hairdresser any more). In my album you can see how it looks like now after over 6 months of self-cutting. (Usually my hair is a bit curly in this area but on the photo it is completely straight as I had to blow-fry but did no styling attempts).