PDA

View Full Version : More oil = increased shed rate?

Periwinkle
November 22nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
I think I'm finally noticing a correlation here.

Does anyone else think that oiling increases their shed rate? Is there anything I can do about it?

ChloeDharma
November 22nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
For me, consistant regular scalp oiling decreases shedding....but initially it increases shedding. I just persevered with it.....when i neglect oiling my scalp my shed rate goes up.

spidermom
November 22nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
I notice no such thing, but I keep oil off my scalp, which produces plenty of sebum. In fact, my usual procedure is to wait until the hair at the scalp starts looking oily, then I oil the bottom (ear-level down).

Periwinkle
November 22nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
I notice no such thing, but I keep oil off my scalp, which produces plenty of sebum. In fact, my usual procedure is to wait until the hair at the scalp starts looking oily, then I oil the bottom (ear-level down).

That's very similar to what I do. I put all my hair over one shoulder, then grab it at shoulder-level and oil from there on down. I don't bother with the hair above.

It seems that whenever I oil, though, more hair comes out. I oiled quite heavily before my gymnastics class today, and whenever I tied it up again, it felt like loads of hair was coming out. Then when I combed after the class, two hours after I'd oiled, I had a HUGE handful of hair in my hand. That's more than I'd normally shed in three or four days without oiling.

Philomela
November 22nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
I oil regularly the length, but I've noticed that oil tends to trap dirt which, in turn, leads to tangles, and hence breakage. So, I have to keep the amount of oil to a minimim (2 drops is enough for me).

Comfrey
November 22nd, 2008, 01:01 PM
periwinkle, I have only oiled my hair twice now and on both occasions I was shocked at how much hair I shed.

I dont normally even when I brush so this was a bit upsetting and I thought I was doing something wrong :(

Fantak
November 22nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Periwinkle I've noticed the same in the past, but am not too sure anymore. What's helped with the shedding is getting loads of proteins for breakfast (either a peanut butter sandwich or a milk+raw egg shake). After a few days my hair shedding decreases dramatically.

I'm currently testing a scalp oil (one hour under shower cap+towel before hair wash) and it's causing more shedding than usual, but nothing too drastic. I'm going to carry on using it for 2 weeks if I don't see an improvement I'll stop :) I'm also experimenting with amounts, I used a much smaller amount last time and noticed less shedding than the first time, again I'm not sure if there is less shedding because the loose hairs shed the first time or because I used less oil. Personally I think it is because I used less oil ^.^

HTH!

EDT: I think oil puts extra weight on individual hair strands and for some people the hair is weaker at the root so the extra weight loosens the hair and makes it fall out prematurely. I'm not sure, it's just my personal theory.

jojo
November 22nd, 2008, 02:00 PM

exact same here in fact it was you who recommended this way to me!