PDA

View Full Version : Reducing the opportunity for damage, what steps do you take?

Gladtobemom
November 22nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
Hair within an inch or so of the scalp looks quite different than the hair 20" down. That 20" hair is 3-4 years old, 32" hair is 2 years older. So I try to minimize the friction and damage to my hair.

How do you try to minimize damage?

--------------------------
What I do (or avoid)?

1. I repair the acid mantle of my scalp every time I wash, this keeps the scalp from overproducing sebum and sweat to repair the pH. This means I don't have to wash as much because my hair doesn't get all flattened down to and feel dirty next to my scalp. I wash my hair every 7-10 days, sometimes just a scalp wash. Sometimes I've gone as much as 15 days.

2. I NEVER TWIST MY HAIR WHEN WET, wet hair is delicate hair. Twisting is evil, it stretches the hair. When I wrap it up, I'm very gentle.

3. I comb very very gently. I completely detangle and then BBB before washing to distribute what natural emollient is there. Shed hair mixed in cause TANGLES, tangles cause stretching and breakage. I don't like breakage. Breakage under the microscope looks like the end exploded or split, and those splits just run up the hair on me.

4. I use Nanny Pauline's Airing Powder to stretch out my water washes if I need to, usually on the 5th or 6th day after a wash. It gets rid of any flatness at the scalp makes my hair shiny and makes it smell wonderful.

5. I completely detangle with a good comb before BBB. I only BBB just before washing and when I use the Airing Powder.

6, I don't let my hair whip in the wind. I don't know how much damage it really causes, but it does cause tangles.

7. I have ELIMINATED the places my hair comes into contact with -grabbing fabrics. For instance I've covered the velcro patch on the seat belt thingy with felt. I wear a silk scarf over the shoulders of my coat if I have my hair down or in a braid; a wool coat works those hairs right out of a braid and then into knots. I keep a silk pillow case pulled down over the back of my office chair, which is some kind of woven fabric that grabs at my hair. I also pull my braid around to the front when I sit in a dining chair or upholstered chair.

8. I wear my hair up in ways that don't cause breakage. i try to minimize twisting, never twisting tightly.

9. I DO minimize water washing,
I respect that the hair that is at my waist is about 5 years old . . . let's see:
Daily washing-->1825 water washes (chances to get roughed up cuticle and stretch)
Weekly washing-->260 water washe (Big difference!)
Washing every 10 days-->183 washes (even less risk)

Nanny Pauline had shin length hair, she was just under 5 ft. tall, so that's about 60" as measured from the hairline. Hair slows its growth later in the growth cycle, so the hair at her shins was at least 8 years old, probably much of it was as much as 11 years old.

She washed her scalp about every 2 weeks, and the length about every 3 weeks, she used airing powder in between.
So her length was wet (at risk) only 139-191 times.
Think about that for a minute. She wet her length half as much as a daily washer does in a single year. No wonder her hair was able to survive without breaking.

Nanny also never let her hair just hang loose, it was always up or in a braid. Even in a braid, she tucked the tassel up into the braid.
-------------------
I want long strong hair and these practices have brought my circumference up significantly. I have MUCH less breakage. The short hairs are baby hairs (tapered tips) as opposed to ragged broken tips. I do find splits, but nothing like I used to. Two years ago, I could sit for hours, snipping hundreds of splits. Now I can work at it for 30 minutes and find only a few.

morguebabe
November 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
What is Nanny Powder you are talking about, is it a recipe or something I can purchase online?

magpielaura
November 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
I repair the acid mantle of my scalp every time I wash, this keeps the scalp from overproducing sebum and sweat to repair the pH.

How?

At day 5 my scalp is itchy gungy, and it is a relief to wash it!

amaiaisabella
November 22nd, 2008, 11:41 AM
How?

At day 5 my scalp is itchy gungy, and it is a relief to wash it!

1. I repair the acid mantle of my scalp every time I wash, this keeps the scalp from overproducing sebum and sweat to repair the pH. This means I don't have to wash as much because my hair doesn't get all flattened down to and feel dirty next to my scalp. I wash my hair every 7-10 days, sometimes just a scalp wash. Sometimes I've gone as much as 15 days.

I would also be interested in learning this. Do you use ACV? :)

Gladtobemom
November 22nd, 2008, 06:05 PM
After using an a cleanser, I make sure I flood my scalp and hair with something that's about 5.5 pH.

3 Tb. Vinegar, with 3 C. water will do it. White vinegar, Apple Cider Vinegar, etc.

Then, without rinsing, just pressing out most of the vinegar water . . . I add my conditioner to the length and comb it through. Final rinse, and I'm done.

If I leave it out, my hair looks greasy and piecey in 4 days. If I do it, my scalp feels fine for much longer and my hair isn't piecey.

flapjack
November 22nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
I have tried the acv diluted in water as a final rinse and within 2 days, my scalp is as greasy as ever. Actually... acv/water makes my hair greasy as well, so I only use it from the shoulders down. As soon as it hits any hair close to my scalp of neck, I'm done for.

Unfortunately, I just don't think this works for everyone. I wish it did, that would be great.

Curlsgirl
November 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
Very good post GTBM!!! I also do a lot of those things but maybe not quite as meticulously as others. I may put the new silk pillowcase I just ordered on the back of my chair at my office. I don't think the fabric is terrible but not the best either. I am giving away a really nice jacket I bought last year that my hair catches on. I am going to have to be careful from now on with clothes I buy, especially coats. ACV does make a little difference for me in scalp greasiness. I noticed that last time I used it for an experiment and thought it was just my imagination but I think not now.

Gladtobemom
November 24th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Today, I realized I left one thing out.

When I sleep, I sleep with my hair in a not too tight english braid that starts at the nape most of the time.

I also do use a very slick pillow cover made of Modal . . . which is made from beech trees and has no static at all, is very soft and slippery, and is warm to the touch.

Isilme
November 24th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I wish this would work for everyone, but I can't hold an updo if I don't twist it. And if I let my hair stay dry between washes or do only scalp wash it gets very very dry, I need moisture. And the length gathers dust and lint that needs to be washed away.

I protect my hair by keeping it up, but that involves twisting which my hair doesn't mind, and I need to mist it with a solution of conditioner and water every few days:)
I henna, that alone has saved my hair.
That is what's fun with this community, what some people swear by may be a disaster for another one, but you always have someone to share your routine with:)

Arctic_Mama
November 24th, 2008, 04:01 PM
As always, your hair wisdom is indispensable! I do most of this already (except that I admit I LOVE wearing my hair down for dates with my husband, but those are once in a blue moon!) but it is so important to be mindful of what we do to our hair if we are serious about achieving not just length, but health. Bravo!

Tressie
November 24th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Good points and thank you very much for sharing! I have a number of fleece tops which I love because they are warm and comfortable, but I will have to wear may hair up if I wear them this year, because I know that they are awful for static and my hair just clings to them. Until finding TLHC I didn't really realize the damage certain fabrics could do to the length of my hair! (o:

I also have to twist my length a good bit to get a firm updo, but I hope I am doing more good than harm by wearing my hair up in this fashion most days, and at night.

Katze
November 25th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Wow, that is incredibly impressive. Your commitment is remarkable.

I have been sleeping with my hair up nights, misting more, and trying to take the best care I can of my length...up to a point. I've got a busy schedule and soon will have a baby, so I can't do all the things you suggest.

Also, twisting gently works fine for me and is the only way (besides heavy oiling and snug braiding) that I can get my hair to stay up. But to each her own!

My results are that my hair is getting much thicker -lots of shorter, tapered baby hairs, feels softer, and is in much better shape than it has been since 1986 or so. :)

chotee
November 25th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Thanks so much, something which i recently started doing is washing less and its made so much of a difference. Even within a few weeks i see my tb length hair looks great. The only thing i needed to stop was heavy daily oiling which would lead me to frequent washes. Now, i only oil the day before or 2 days before wash and do my usual braiding. Its not too bad. Its very hard to change habits but once changed you will happy about it. I think if i continue my difficult weekly once wash, my hair will be safe. I usually braid my hair and sometimes have it in harpgals updo with a safe wooden stick. I don't need even a pin for this hairstyle.

Igor
November 25th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I remove the neck-tags on my clothes. Think about it: At least 4 times a day you pull one or more piece of clothing over your head and any rough neck-tags will scrape over your hair
It all adds up

windblown
November 25th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. ...off to search for the airing powder... :)

Henitsirk
November 28th, 2008, 08:20 PM
The main thing I do is never brush my hair, only use a wide-tooth comb. Though now I'm reconsidering that as I'm reading here and there on TLHC about redistributing hair oils all the way down from the scalp....

Tami86
November 29th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Wow.. now that's what I call commitment! It's impressive..

Thanks for sharing :)

peachy.pudding
November 29th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Wow you do a lot i am shocked, my healthy hair is due to bejin neglect

julya
November 29th, 2008, 11:25 AM
After using an a cleanser, I make sure I flood my scalp and hair with something that's about 5.5 pH.

3 Tb. Vinegar, with 3 C. water will do it. White vinegar, Apple Cider Vinegar, etc.

Then, without rinsing, just pressing out most of the vinegar water . . . I add my conditioner to the length and comb it through. Final rinse, and I'm done.

If I leave it out, my hair looks greasy and piecey in 4 days. If I do it, my scalp feels fine for much longer and my hair isn't piecey.

I think that the pH of distilled water is about 5.5, because of the dissolved carbon dioxide from the air. Do you think that distilled water would work as well as your vinegar mix?

Gladtobemom
September 22nd, 2009, 09:56 AM
I wanted to add a couple of things to this thread.

Now that my hair is down past my waist and near tailbone, I have to be a little more careful.

1) I thoroughly detangle before washing and I protect the length every single time that I wash. So ALL my washes (even clarifying ones) are essentially CWC.
I protect the length with lite coconut milk, conditioner (usually Suave Coconut, Tawaka).

2) I often do a heavy oiling the night before washing and then my "wash" is an SMT. This is the Ursula method. I use no-cone no-protein conditioner.

3) Biggest thing of all . . .
I make a VERY special effort not to stretch my hair, especially when damp.

4) Oiling . . . my hair is quite wavy and I oil my hair lots. It just drinks up hair butter. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=33059)

ZadenWillowfyre
September 22nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
Mainly I just like to keep my hair braided when I can and be very gentle when brushing. This seems to be the best way to avoid damage to me.

JamieLeigh
September 22nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
I don't know that I do anything specifically to reduce damage....I mainly do what I do to keep myself comfortable and keep it out of my way. I'm a frequent trimmer, anyhow, so any damage I get at the ends of my hair will likely disappear under the scissors before two months are up. :p

twolunarspring
September 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
I try to be gentle with my hair at all times... but hey, my hair wants to be free and enjoyed, so I'm not going to be neurotic over it... especially as I have a natural tendency to being obsessive anyway! :p

So, I'm not going to brush it while it's wet or iron it flat... but I am happy to let the wind play with my tresses and for my daughter to squish weetabix and finger paint into it occasionally :D