PDA

View Full Version : Hair Spray Linked to Birth Defects

mellie
November 22nd, 2008, 10:33 AM
http://www.stylelist.com/blog/2008/11/21/hairspray-linked-to-birth-defects/

A new study has found a disturbing link between your hairspray habit and an alarming birth defect. Researchers claim that boys whose mothers were around large amounts of hairspray may run the risk of being born with a genital disorder.

Hatsumomo
November 22nd, 2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks for this, it goes towards explaining something.

Starr
November 22nd, 2008, 11:29 AM
How weird. . . it's crazy how things the beauty industry says are completely harmless turn out to cause all sorts of random side effects/defects.

ktani
November 22nd, 2008, 06:27 PM
I think that the person who posted that information did not look futher, mellie. I do understand your immediate response though.

"Boys born to women exposed to hairspray in the workplace may have a higher risk of being born with a genital defect.

.... Professor Paul Elliott, who led the study, said that the finding did not prove that hairspray - or any phthalates it contained - was the cause of this.

.... "Women shouldn't be alarmed. .... study adds a bit more evidence to the general picture about these chemicals, but more research will be needed to demonstrate that the link exists.

Professor Richard Sharpe, from Edinburgh University, said it was a "big leap of faith" to conclude phthalates were to blame for birth defects."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7741998.stm

flapjack
November 22nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Beat me to it, Ktani, hahaha.

It's common knowledge that high or even moderate exposure to certain chemicals for long periods of time is not good for the body or any growing body living inside of that body, at any given time.

Anything else at this point, when it comes to the case of this article, is up for debate. And both sides have some excellent and thoughtful points in their favor.

ktani
November 22nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
Beat me to it, Ktani, hahaha.

It's common knowledge that high or even moderate exposure to certain chemicals for long periods of time is not good for the body or any growing body living inside of that body, at any given time.

Anything else at this point, when it comes to the case of this article, is up for debate. And both sides have some excellent and thoughtful points in their favor.

Agreed, 100%.

flapjack
November 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
By the way... I know I never updated you on the honey situation, but I decided to stop because my hair is continuing to grow in darker... so I think my best option is to let the blonde at the ends inch its way out. That's why I haven't had any updates in the thread. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to the whole experiment.

ktani
November 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
By the way... I know I never updated you on the honey situation, but I decided to stop because my hair is continuing to grow in darker... so I think my best option is to let the blonde at the ends inch its way out. That's why I haven't had any updates in the thread. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to the whole experiment.

No worries. Your posts were and always will be welcome, just like those of others. You have nothing to apologize for.

You were very helpful when you did post.