PDA

View Full Version : First time for long hair?

Curlsgirl
March 23rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Okay I was just wondering if others are excited like me and also kind of NEW to longer hair! At 29 inches I do not have long hair by LHC standards really but I do have longer hair than ever before in my life by a few inches! Some new things for me are:

Having it get in my way when I sit or sleep (that is get caught under me or behind my seat between the seat and back, having to move it out of the way etc.)

Learning what to do with it in general such as updos, braids, etc.

Feeling it brush against my arms and farther down my back, seeing it in the mirror longer than I have ever seen it, catching it between/under my arms and just all kinds of new things!

I really really love it! I see some longhairs just seemingly not concerned about their hair at all just like it's an old friend but I don't feel that way and wondered if it is like that for others here. Every bit of extra length is like a new and exciting (and a tad bit scary to tell you the truth) fun and different challenge!

AJoifulNoise
March 23rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
This is the first time for me, too. I've never been beyond BSL. I can totally relate to dealing with it while sleeping and enjoy learning updos. This is a whole new world for me. And I love it!

Curlsgirl
March 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
This is just one example, I am sitting in my fave recliner and for the first time it is just now at the length where it is catching between my back and the back of the chair. I am 5'8" so I guess it may have taken longer than some others. This is what made me think of it because this is the first time I remember it in this chair. Woo hoo! That means it has grown (or I am slouching worse one LOL!)

eadwine
March 23rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
First time for me too. I think I MIGHT have had it to BSL before, but definitely not longer, so this is very new to me :)

AJoifulNoise
March 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
Back in August I saw myself in action for the first time in a long time. A friend took a short video of my hopping around in puddles. My hair was down. All I could think (after getting over choking on my own cuteness) was "wow... I have a lot of hair....whoa..." It had been down and swinging all around. that was August of 2007. My hair has grown an inch a month since then... I can't imagine what I'd think if I saw a video of me now!

CurlyNinja
March 23rd, 2008, 07:00 PM
It's a semi-first for me. I haven't had hair anywhere near as long as this since I was oh, say, 13. At one point as a child I had longer (somewhere around waist-length) but my mother had it cut off to my earlobe by the time I was 4.

So I definitely don't remember very well what having long hair was like, and this feels like a new experience for me!

spidermom
March 23rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
The longest my hair has ever been is in my signature picture. Now it is about 3 inches shorter because I started to S&D, became disgusted with the number of splits I was finding, so hacked it off. I'm happier with the feel but not as happy with the length. But who cares.

Curlsgirl
March 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Exactly Spidermom! I was just thinking today that your hair seems to have grown so much faster than mine though so you will have it back in no time! I was thinking that when we both joined yours wasn't much longer but I really can't remember. Of course I had a LOT of damage cut off but STILL it's not fair!;) I have been thinking of cutting an inch or at least a half inch. I used to be SO bad about trimming too much and now I want to get to waist so bad I don't want to trim even a 1/100 inch! It does need it though I think though the curls are very forgiving. My vision is not that good though and some of it looks like it may be just different lengths of hairs from old layers and new growth. I am not good at being able to tell! I know I have some splits which I didn't get many of at shorter lengths though so I may have to start the dreaded S & D. :eek: I guess everything is not good about longer hair now that I think about it!

anna1850
March 23rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Anything beyond BSL is unknown territory for me so I've never had hair this long before. Very nice to break the grow to BSL then chop to APL cycle.

New things:
I keep trapping my hair when I'm lying down and I try to get up but lean on it.
I like the way I can feel it brush against my elbows.
New updos that I couldn't do before.
Don't need to use a hairagami or whirl-a-style to make a decent bun.
I'm starting to worry I might accidentally strangle myself in my sleep with my long braids.

Not only am I enjoying how it looks now that it's getting really long, it's in the best condition I've ever had, I use to have so much of a frizz halo that I use to tweeze out all the short frizzy hairs on top. Now it's pretty much gone and it's only a few baby hairs sticking out.

Nat242
March 23rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Yes, this is the longest hair I've ever had (see sig).

I love the way it tumbles all around me, I love all the cool updos I can do. I had a lot to learn - thank goodness for LHC! It's very exciting, each centimetre of growth is a new territory, and a new milestone for me.

-- Natalie

paper
March 24th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I haven't had hair past my shoulders in about 10 yrs. Having to pull my hair out from under my coat or collar is new to me, and it feels great. I can't wait for it to get longer.

Kelpie
March 24th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Yep, this is the longest my hair has ever been too. I like being able to reach behind my back and touch my hair from below without having to stretch up. When I do this I really feel that my hair is long.

FrannyG
March 24th, 2008, 05:11 AM
My hair reached the longest length it had ever been after I joined LHC. The problem was that the pre-LHC hair wasn't all that healthy, so I chopped 6 inches off last July. So I can safely say that right now, my hair is the longest it's ever been and looked healthy. I love it! :inlove:

And I love that I am growing long hair for the first time in my mid-forties! :happydance:

Guenever
March 24th, 2008, 05:16 AM
It's very new to me as well!
As a child I had TB length hair but I can't remember how it felt like.. so he only thing I remember is having APL/BSL length - cutting it to short-short when I was 14 and then letting it grow out to just above waist until I joined here..

I've grown about 10" since then - and it feels wonderful.. and right.. I'm not supposed to have a short cut :) I know that now...

shrimp
March 24th, 2008, 08:43 AM
This is the longest my hair has ever been. Before it was always around BSL, then I had it cut to rest on my shoulders and heavily layered at 16 when I left school, then grew it stright back out to BSL/Waist for a while.

It's taken so long to get here that sometimes I do just forget about it and don't find it particularly interesting or exciting I think this may be because I'm on autopilot of putting it up for the day and so don't really pay it much attention, but then I'll suddenly notice something 'new' and get all smiley :silly:

squiggyflop
March 24th, 2008, 08:56 AM
this is the longest my hair has ever been... ive has bsl before but that was back before my hair got wavyer from puberty..my hair is waist when wet now...... i think im in a growth stall now... well most of you wouldn consider it a stall but my hair was growing almost an inch a month and ive only gotten like half an inch in the last 6 weeks.... perhaps it will speed up when the weather gets warmer.

spidermom
March 24th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I had that wonderful feeling of "I love my hair!" this morning while I was combing out my sleep bun. It was so smooth and silky-feeling and shiny. I spontaneously picked up the ends and kissed them. hahahahahahaha Yes, I'm laughing at myself.

Katze
March 24th, 2008, 10:18 AM
me, me!

Because of my addiction to being as blonde as I was as a kid, my hair never grew. I wanted it long, sis had long hair, but basically did not understand that I needed to treat it like old lace. Between the ages of 18 and 26, I had platinum blonde, lavender, blue, green, black, henna (BIG mistake on me) and lots of other colors.

When I was small it was about as long as it is now, but was straight and white-blonde, and it wasn't that long for very long.

This - 25.5 inches - is the longest my hair has ever been apart from childhood. Having it fall down my arm or always leaning back on it is a new thing for me. I'm hoping to hit BSL - 27 inches - this summer so I can finally think of it as long!

I really like having more hair to play with, but am frustrated at the remaining damage and having to trim to keep an even and thick hemline.

jojo
March 24th, 2008, 10:37 AM
for me waist is the longest i have been this was just over 2 years ago, now im 22" long, this will be my first time with healthy virgin long hair since i was 12!

atlantaz3
March 24th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I think 29 qualifies as long hair! I'm at 23" (but a short 5'4") and 29 seems so far away! Yep I'm with you on getting used to long hair. Early high school was my longest hair not quite waist length then. Now with summer coming on wearing camis I feel my hair on my back (re read that no I don't have a hairy back!) and I'm surprised wow it is finally getting longer. I'm learning more new updos and buying toys. I asked the dh if we could go to the renn fair to get hair toys - bless him he said "Wow that would probably be a good place to look for them!"
Although the sleeping thing has to be resolved soon - get used to braid or something.

birthmarkie
March 24th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I am not at the longest I have ever been, but as I keep growing to my goals, I will be and I CAN'T WAIT!!! Before, when I would have longish hair (never made it to waist, though), I would enjoy it but think: "now what :confused:" As I make my way toward longer lengths NOW, however, I just know it is going to get sweeter and sweeter because I am growing for myself alone and I have more motivation and inspiration than ever.

ArtOfNoot
September 2nd, 2020, 12:17 AM
My hair is the longest it's ever been and I'm so excited for the waist length hair I secretly dreamed about as a little girl :p

Bat
September 2nd, 2020, 12:20 AM
The Longest I've had is APL I'm still about a year away from making it there but im so pumped to get there and to surpass it

ArtOfNoot
September 2nd, 2020, 12:24 AM
The Longest I've had is APL I'm still about a year away from making it there but im so pumped to get there and to surpass it

I've been meaning to ask: Are you planning on keeping the jet-black hair? I think it looks super good and would look amazing grown out. It kinda gives me rocker/vampy vibes :demon::henny:

Bat
September 2nd, 2020, 12:39 AM
I've been meaning to ask: Are you planning on keeping the jet-black hair? I think it looks super good and would look amazing grown out. It kinda gives me rocker/vampy vibes :demon::henny:

Now that is a good question! I'm not sure myself! I'm currently trying to grow damaged hair out

I do love the gothic vampire aesthetic though so it's possible

Vacurlylady
September 5th, 2020, 06:25 AM
This IS the longest I have ever had my hair. It’s midway between BSL and WL. I love it! If not for LHC I would not be at this length. And, I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. Haha 🤪.
I keep it up in a bun for right now. Hoping to learn. I cannot even braid 😱

Lucy McLucyFace
September 5th, 2020, 06:57 AM
This is the longest I've been without layers. My hair feels very substantial, I love it :D
One thing I never predicted is that I can't wear it in 2 pigtails behind the ears anymore because it keeps getting stuck under my armpits. Kinda sad cause it's a style I quite enjoyed to do on occasion

Iyashikei
September 5th, 2020, 11:45 AM
This is the first time I could ever put my hair in a ponytail and I love it! I'm auper excited to learn how to braid or do buns.

Philodendron
September 6th, 2020, 01:32 AM
My hair was waistlong (straight) before, but I didn't feel like a longhair at all. Thanks to shrinkage my hair was around APL.
Since I am now seriously letting it grow to see how long it can be, I guess I'd consider myself part of this group:o.
For me long hair would mean waistlong curls.

sipnsun
September 6th, 2020, 05:39 AM
This is the longest I've ever been, I've reach BSL many times in the past but always cut it due to damage. I'm serious this time about stopping chemical damage and trying to minimize mechanical damage so I can grow to new lengths that I never thought possible.

meepster
September 6th, 2020, 10:50 AM
This will be the first time for me if I ever get beyond about shoulder length. Last time I had "long" hair as an adult was about 15 years ago, and it maybe got a little beyond SL. I'm kinda excited, actually. At this point, I just passed chin length, so I'm estimating that I'll be at collarbone length about a year from now, which will then take me into totally uncharted territory.

At present, I'm very excited at the idea of being able to put my hair in a ponytail. This is new and kinda fun. The ponytail is still kinda pitiful, but getting fluffier.

Kat
September 7th, 2020, 10:16 AM
Okay I was just wondering if others are excited like me and also kind of NEW to longer hair! At 29 inches I do not have long hair by LHC standards really but I do have longer hair than ever before in my life by a few inches! Some new things for me are:

Having it get in my way when I sit or sleep (that is get caught under me or behind my seat between the seat and back, having to move it out of the way etc.)

Learning what to do with it in general such as updos, braids, etc.

Feeling it brush against my arms and farther down my back, seeing it in the mirror longer than I have ever seen it, catching it between/under my arms and just all kinds of new things!

I really really love it! I see some longhairs just seemingly not concerned about their hair at all just like it's an old friend but I don't feel that way and wondered if it is like that for others here. Every bit of extra length is like a new and exciting (and a tad bit scary to tell you the truth) fun and different challenge!

By now-- 20 years after I decided to ditch short hair-- my hair *is* an old friend that I don't worry about too much. But way back then, yes, I hadn't had hair longer than about chin-to-shoulder length since I was 8, so it sort of felt like having long hair for the first time!

I was excited when it was finally long enough to *actually pull back* into a braid or ponytail and get it out of my face!

Lainey
September 7th, 2020, 11:27 AM
I was excited when it was finally long enough to *actually pull back* into a braid or ponytail and get it out of my face![/QUOTE]

Ah Kat you summed it up for me completely. Just being able to pull my hair back will be lovely. As I used to wear it when I was a youngster. Been many decades but I’m looking forward to the ease of those updo styles.

Feral_
September 7th, 2020, 11:54 AM
Mine is the longest it’s been for a while. The difference is now I’m looking after it better so it’s not as annoying as it was before, or possibly I'm more tolerant :rolleyes:
As for updos buns are a new discovery and still unpredictable. I am enjoying being able to plait it, although i can only do 2 versions, English or milkmaid. I'd love to nail a French or Dutch braid - at present nails are what I'd need to enable that!

ynne
September 7th, 2020, 07:35 PM
My longest hair before was something like the bottom of shoulder blades when curly (just briefly, a haircut soon followed, it usually stayed in shoulder-APL territory), and then I had really short hair for many, many years. I don't actually remember much from back then, besides the issues with loose hair, and the discomfort when a ponytail was assymetrical (that did not change!). Braids besides English and pretty much all buns are new to me.
I already got to SBL with stretched length, so I feel closer to that milestone!

Lainey
September 8th, 2020, 08:17 AM
Mine is the longest it’s been for a while. The difference is now I’m looking after it better so it’s not as annoying as it was before, or possibly I'm more tolerant :rolleyes:
As for updos buns are a new discovery and still unpredictable. I am enjoying being able to plait it, although i can only do 2 versions, English or milkmaid. I'd love to nail a French or Dutch braid - at present nails are what I'd need to enable that!

I laughed at your nails comment Feral. It’s good to have a humorous take on all the shenanigans we get into with our hair.

GoatLady
October 17th, 2022, 09:27 PM
This isn't my first time growing my hair long BUT this will be my first time growing it past my waist.

Dark40
October 24th, 2022, 03:43 PM
I can say the longest my hair has ever been was 2 or 3 inches above hip length, and that was 37 years ago, and back then I had gotten my first haircut up to a chin length bob, and I started growing it back out again. Then, I cut it again, and kept on going back and fourth cutting and growing back out. Then during 9th grade in high school that's when I decided to let it all grow out again, and during my senior year in high school I cut into a chin length bob again, and throughout college I wore it that length for many years up until 1997, and up until 2010 when I decided to join here t LHC it was at a chin length bob again as a start, and now I'm back down to mid back length again. Hoping to grow lot longer. I really love the feel of long hair!