PDA

View Full Version : A comment that made me miss my long hair

Chrissy
November 22nd, 2008, 07:18 AM
Hey all. I'm just whining. No one needs to reply I just need to whine. I've said this before but oh well. I MISS MY LONG HAIR!! I'm so mad at myself for cutting it twice. It would have been classic by now but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....I had to have an emotional cut and short too!!! What was I thinking???? I remember when I sat in the chair and she said maybe you should just cut it into a bob and I said no cut it short. Uugghh!!!

I realize it will grow back yadda yadda. But my hair seems to crawl when growing. It took me 5 years to get it that long (see my siggy). It was as short as it is now and it took 5 years! That wouldn't bother me so much except for my age.

The thing that got me thinking about this again is this. Yesterday I was at a memorial for a good friends brother. I didn't know the brother but I wanted to support my friend. Anyway this seems trite with regards to the situation but....
the friend I came with has beautiful very long shiny hair. A friend I haven't seen in over 10 years came over to us and said to my friend, I just have to say your hair looks beautiful! Then she looked over at me and said sort of off the cuff, oh and yours is OK too. :( It really made me sad. I know this sounds selfish but it just made me miss my hair even more.

Sorry this is just a whine session and I need to get it out. You guys are always so supportive and kind. I hope before I know it my hair will be back to where it was. I just can't believe that I did it. Normally I don't live in this like I am now. it doesn't change anything and it doesn't help me. It was just after that comment.....

Oh well on to growing. I'm hoping by the time my youngest one graduates from high school (that will be in 4 1/2 years) that I will have my hair back and that I can wear it up in a beautiful updo for his special day.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest! Now on to other stuff.

joyfulmom4
November 22nd, 2008, 07:25 AM
:grouphug: Sorry you're feeling frustrated. I know it feels like forever, but at least you have a chance to grow it out all healthy from the start. :) That's something, right?

embee
November 22nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
I can certainly relate. I have pictures of me with my DS when he was an infant, my hair was BSL. Then a bit later I have pictures of me with DS as a toddler and I had a Boy Cut! And when DD came along I got a perm and poodle cut! What was I thinking? Those pictures are so discouraging, even though now my hair is at classic it could have been classic *YEARS* ago, but nooooo, I had to chop it all off. Why? Who knows?

Did I really think it would be convenient? Did I think it would look better? Or was I just disgusted and wanted A Change.

It was only my divorce and subsequent lack of spending money that really got me going towards long hair again - I could not afford any trims at all, so I had to grow it out enough to pull back and put up. :)

Hang in there. As soon as you can put it back/up you'll be moving quickly, no trimming, just growing. :) Start collecting toys that will look good with short back/up hair! I had those fabric-bow-barrettes, they worked well for me. Of course out of style now, and not available.

Chrissy
November 22nd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks you two. I loved those fabric bows. I wish they weren't out of style. If I could find one I'd wear it anyway!!! But like you said they are no longer available.

Carolyn
November 22nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
It's OK to come here and whine :D We're the people who are going to be sympathetic. So many other LHC'ers have done big cuts and regretted it. I understand your feelings of loss and regret. Let's look at it from a positive slant. The cut has made you really appreciate having long hair. Once your hair is long again you won't be very likely to chop it all off with an emotional cut. That big cut won't happen another time unless you have given the idea months of thought. And if you do get that urge maybe next time you'll just cut a few inches instead of all of it. Hang in there with the growing out. I know it feels it grows 10 times slower when you want it long as when you are maintaining a short cut. It will grow and it will be long again. When it is, treasure it and remember how much you hated it when you cut it. You'll keep it long this time :)

Chrissy
November 22nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks Carolyn. You are a great encourager. :)

Speckla
November 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
I think your long hair was lovely and you look very attractive with short hair too! You're a lucky girl who can pull off both looks. 4.5 years really isn't that long and your longer hair will make you look even younger than you already do! :)
________
Chevrolet astro (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Astro)

DavidN
November 22nd, 2008, 08:32 AM
Feel free to unwind as much as you wish, Chrissy, and you can be assured that we will always listen!:grouphug: Your long hair that you had before is certainly beautiful, and filled with shine, and you WILL have that long hair again! Keep up with the growing, and your hair will be back to its former length in no time!:grouphug:

plainjanegirl
November 22nd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Oh hang in there. The time will go by quickly. But be sure to enjoy your hair at every length.

Silver & Gold
November 22nd, 2008, 09:24 AM
I soooo understand this feeling. I'll be 50 in a few months and I've NEVER had hair as long as yours was although I always wanted it. I would grow my hair for a couple of years and decide that perhaps it wasn't for me or just go in to have a little trim that went disastrous . . . or do the emotional cut . . . always something. And each time I swore I was too old to try and grow it out again because I have such low tolerance for that awful in-between stage.
Here I am again and this time I have LHC. You guys have already saved my hair several times although you haven't known it. But all my research on how to deal with damaged hair and how to do updos has given me another way to handle my hair other than cutting it.
Anyway, I'm not much younger than you and on the same long journey. You'll get there, and when you do you'll treasure your long hair in a way you couldn't have possibly treasured it had you never cut it in the first place.
Have courage.

Xandergrammy
November 22nd, 2008, 09:52 AM
Oh sweetie, it'll be longer in no time! And whenever you get that urge to cut/trim/whatever, come here and we'll talk you down. :gabigrin:

jojo
November 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Oh Chrissie, dont be sad your hair will be long and flowing before you know it. xx

Hatsumomo
November 22nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
I can understand why you're upset. It can be pretty awful to sit and watch someone else get complimented on something you used to take pride in while you've got rid of that thing. I'm sure you'll have your long hair again and you'll appreciate it much more this time which is great as it was (and is) beautiful:).

spidermom
November 22nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
I know the feeling well. I've promised myself and those around me all my life that I would one day have very long hair. But what would I do? I'd let it grow from short for about 2 years, enough to pass shoulder length, then I'd decide "I've been growing my hair for YEARS, and it still isn't long, so I might as well cut it." Good logic, that. Not. Finally in my mid-to-late 40s, something clicked and I realized it was going to take more than a couple of years. So here I am,

Try to distract yourself from the coulda-woulda-shouldas -- they'll only make you miserable -- and enjoy the process now. There are advantages to every length; exploit them.

Giggy2
November 22nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Hey all. I'm just whining. No one needs to reply I just need to whine. I've said this before but oh well. I MISS MY LONG HAIR!! I'm so mad at myself for cutting it twice. It would have been classic by now but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....I had to have an emotional cut and short too!!! What was I thinking???? I remember when I sat in the chair and she said maybe you should just cut it into a bob and I said no cut it short. Uugghh!!!

I realize it will grow back yadda yadda. But my hair seems to crawl when growing. It took me 5 years to get it that long (see my siggy). It was as short as it is now and it took 5 years! That wouldn't bother me so much except for my age.

The thing that got me thinking about this again is this. Yesterday I was at a memorial for a good friends brother. I didn't know the brother but I wanted to support my friend. Anyway this seems trite with regards to the situation but....
the friend I came with has beautiful very long shiny hair. A friend I haven't seen in over 10 years came over to us and said to my friend, I just have to say your hair looks beautiful! Then she looked over at me and said sort of off the cuff, oh and yours is OK too. :( It really made me sad. I know this sounds selfish but it just made me miss my hair even more.

Sorry this is just a whine session and I need to get it out. You guys are always so supportive and kind. I hope before I know it my hair will be back to where it was. I just can't believe that I did it. Normally I don't live in this like I am now. it doesn't change anything and it doesn't help me. It was just after that comment.....

Oh well on to growing. I'm hoping by the time my youngest one graduates from high school (that will be in 4 1/2 years) that I will have my hair back and that I can wear it up in a beautiful updo for his special day.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest! Now on to other stuff.

I say thank you for posting your "whine" ;) I go back and forth about whether or not I should cut mine up to shoulder. You just reinforced why I shouldn't. You are actually helping others by posting your feelings. :flower: Hang in there, your new lengths will grow so nice and healthy. People always comment about how I should cut mine, I say quit listening to what others say. :cool:

wonhwa
November 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Crissy, you are not to fret about the age you will be when your hair is long again; your kids are not even all out of school yet! You are a baby! ;-) Just keep on going, keep on growing, and try out all the latest styles while your hair grows out; it will keep you loving your shiny, beautiful hair!

On the other hand, the time flies so fast while your kids are growing you are not going to have as much time to think of your hair as you think you are!
It is beautiful NOW and that is what to keep in mind!

Melisande
November 22nd, 2008, 02:40 PM
It's okay to whine, we all understand it. I regret every single cut I had in my life... but it's no use. It's been done.

The fact that you made a mistake shows that you are young ;-) And I'm sure you are mature enough NOT to repeat it any more.

Your hair is beautiful, it looks cute short and will look even better longer. You will have a full head of LHC hair! What could be better?

And now imagine a lurker reading your lines and cancelling the haircut planned for next Tuesday... and blessing you in his/her mind.

purplebubba
November 22nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Maybe we need a smiley that combines the guy from beating a dead horse with scissors or a picture of short hair.

Speckla
November 22nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
Whine away...I have cheese and crackers! We'll make a party of it. (I don't think you're whining but I've been saving that line.) :)
________
Yamaha ym1 specifications (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_YM1)

biggeorge
November 22nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Shoot, I was 52 before I stopped cutting my hair. Now I get some interesting glances; no one really says much. I hit the three year mark in next month; once it gets to a certain point you just go with it.

winter_star
November 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
Chrissy your hair did look beautiful before, but just think how beautiful and healthy it will be when you do get back to that length. As I can see form you siggy pics, it already looks so healthy and shiney. The colour is really lovely too. It suits you!

Oh and thanks for posting. I've creeping thoughts of a big trim too lately.

flapjack
November 22nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Well, the cool thing about hair is that, unless you have certain medical conditions, it grows back. So if you don't like short, with time, your problem will be solved, haha. :) It's definitely one of the easiest physical changes to ever make... all you have to do is live and it solves itself.

Chrissy
November 23rd, 2008, 04:56 AM
Thank you all for your posts. I'm sorry I haven't been able to reply until now. My son hogged the computer all day yesterday. You all are wonderful!!! THLC is part of my daily routine. I've been here for years and will continue on my journey with you all. Big hugs to all of you!!!!

zift
November 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
:grouphug: I miss my very long hair too, it could well have been knee length if I hadn't cut it but unfortunately I had to. It was causing so much trouble, damn it still is!:mad: Anyway no need to apologize for whining, you're just expressing your honest emotions. :flowers:

zen_oven
November 23rd, 2008, 07:04 PM
I understand. When I got married in 2006 my hair was past BSL. After the wedding, I got a really funky bob. While it was cute, I soon regretted it. I miss my long hair! I'm on my way though and will get back there eventually. And so will you. Hang in there! :grouphug:

Earlier in the thread you mentioned liking fabric bows. I bet you could make them! You can probably find a book at the library on how to make bows and you can get barrette backings and ribbon at a fabric or craft store. Would probably be a fun distraction too.

GlennaGirl
November 23rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Chrissy, I know just how you feel. But I think sometimes we let the words of others dictate how we feel about ourselves.

For instance, I always tend to cut because I get insecure that my hair might look "stupid" or "trying to be too young" or "not thick enough". (I come up with a million different excuses...but that's really what it boils down to.) It's my insecurity of what others think of my hair.

You had an insecurity because of what another person said about your hair. Here's the thing: that was only one millisecond among all the time you have now and toward the future to grow. That person forgot about her comments literally one second after she said them. She may not have even been fully aware of what she was saying. It's hard to know what to say at a funeral and sometimes the weirdest stuff just comes out.

But you wished to have your long hair back in that one second, because of what others might have said about it.

But what if you did have TB length hair and that person had been awed for two seconds? Then she would have been gone and, like I said, would have forgotten all about it.

Don't base your feelings on what others say. I read somewhere that during the average conversation, the speaker is only listening to 20% of what the other person says. Because 80% of his or her attention is actually focused on him or herself. This is human nature.

You'll have long hair and it will be for you, and it doesn't matter how long it takes. It will be back and then you can luxuriate in it every day.

I hope that any of this made sense! :)

Debra83
November 23rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Chrissy I can totally relate. As you know, I also am an emotional cutter. That means that we're emotional about our hair...whether it is long, short, dyed, virgin, hennaed, bad hair day or good! It's our strength and weakness!!! (Samson was the same!!!) Unfortunately, we have many weaknesses, and fortunately strengths!!! This is our time to make patience one of those strengths!!! I think this forum is a blessing to many...especially us hair obsessors, because before we do something drastic...we can bounce it off people with a more level-headed (or should I say level-haired) attitude towards hair!! Hope this encourages!

Unofficial_Rose
November 24th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Hey Chrissy - your hair is a lovely colour and very shiny anyway.

Actually thanks for posting this. I am back to square one with chin-length hair, just as it was this time last year. I had been growing it up till summer, when I suddenly decided bleached highlights were what I needed. Did that over henndigo'd hair and got lots of green hair. Which I had to cut off! And then when was finally back to blonde I realised I prefer the brunette.

I am so p*ssed off with myself. :brickwall It would have been APL by now. You are so not alone. All we need is vast amounts of patience whilst it grows back :(;)