PDA

View Full Version : My Journey to long, healthy & Fab hair! (10 months and counting)

RedFrizz
November 22nd, 2008, 05:52 AM
I'm posting this 'cause I need to have a good follow-up system for my hair (its condition and growth). I can get too impatient too soon, so I need to keep in mind that I've already achieved good results and I just need to stick with my system to achieve more.
In January 2008 I did something somewhat drastic and surprising (for me and for everyone around me): I cut my bsl hair to only 8''. :justy: . I did this 'cause I wanted to get rid off chemically dyed and tortured hair and to start growing virgin hair (which I henna). I had hennaed my hair for about 6 months prior to the hair-execution, so I had that 8'' of new & healthy hair to start with. That was a turning point for me and my hair: no more 'cones & sulfates nor parabens, only shampoo bar washes and honey & acv -rinses, lots of oils (evoo, coconut, avocado, jojoba) and of course henna. I've been doing this for 10 months now and will not ever, and I mean NEVER, go back to my old very bad habits of slowly killing my hair with unnatural stuff.

Here are pics from my journey (sorry about the silly editing, I don't have these pics unedited):

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff117/Radish_photo/IMG_0403.jpg
January 2008. The beginning of my new-hair-life

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff117/Radish_photo/IMG_0707.jpg
March 2008

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff117/Radish_photo/IMG_0859.jpg
July 2008

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff117/Radish_photo/IMG_1033.jpg
October 2008

Hopefully by this time next year I've achieved my growth goals (so that I can set new ones...) ;) Now that my hair doesn't break so easily anymore or have split ends I think that I can achieve lengths I could before only dream of!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff117/Radish_photo/IMG_1094.jpg

A tiny update to my project. This photo was taken today (May 21st 2009). My hair is nearly BSL now, only an inch to go :) And I now have The Perfect Hair Color I've always wanted: Flamy Orange :D Fingers crossed I don't somehow manage to darken this one..

Merkaba
November 22nd, 2008, 06:01 AM
Wow, that's some awesome progress that you've made...congrats!

Addy
November 22nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
Your hair is beautiful and looks like it behaves nicely!

Good Luck with your growth goals!

Xandergrammy
November 22nd, 2008, 06:46 AM
Your hair is beautiful. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

joyfulmom4
November 22nd, 2008, 07:27 AM
Your hair is gorgeous! Sorry you had to go through the cut, but imagine how fabulous your healthy hair is going to look when you reach your goal. It's already WOW!

morguebabe
November 22nd, 2008, 07:28 AM
Gosh your hair grows fast, and what fantastic color!

Demetrue
November 22nd, 2008, 07:59 AM
WOW!! I have never seen hair grow that fast in my life! It looks like your hair loves it's new, all natural routine.

brok3nwings
November 22nd, 2008, 08:03 AM
your hair has appears to have grown the same as mine... appears, cause mine is almost straight and yours is curly! So yes, your hair grows really fast ;) and looks beautiful

paper
November 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
Wow, your hair has really grown alot! It's very pretty, I love your curls!

RedFrizz
November 22nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
I was amazed too about the growth speed, 'cause in the past my hair would grow reeaaalllyyy slow and if it ever reached bsl length the growth just stopped. I trimmed my hair between the first and secon pic and between third and fourth pic (both times they took about 2'' off). So yeah, maybe this is my hair's way to say thank you for switching to all natural products :). I'm curious to see what happens if / when my hair reaches bsl; does the growing stop again like it used to or will it still grow with the same speed than it has done so far. I'm hoping and putting my money on the latter ;).

plainjanegirl
November 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
Wow ! You really have some awesome curls and a great color.

Sammybunny711
November 22nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
It looks beautiful! Congrats on some awesome growth and super healthy hair!

Euphony
November 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
I was amazed too about the growth speed, 'cause in the past my hair would grow reeaaalllyyy slow and if it ever reached bsl length the growth just stopped. I trimmed my hair between the first and secon pic and between third and fourth pic (both times they took about 2'' off). So yeah, maybe this is my hair's way to say thank you for switching to all natural products :). I'm curious to see what happens if / when my hair reaches bsl; does the growing stop again like it used to or will it still grow with the same speed than it has done so far. I'm hoping and putting my money on the latter ;).
I used to have that same problem pre-LHC. My hair would grow super slow until bsl then it would stop. Actually I finally figured out what was happening, my hair was breaking and once it got to bsl it was entirely too fragile to go any further. Now that I take good care of it, it's the longest it's ever been in my life.

You'll get there, and with the speed of the growth you've had you'll get there way sooner than most! What gorgeous curls and beautiful hair!

RedFrizz
November 22nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Yup, it's gotta be the breakage. I didn't even realize how badly I was treating my hair in the past, I just whined about its too slow growing speed and dull outlook. How blind can one be.. But then one time it just hit me when I was holding a bottle of EVOO in my hand (I was making dinner); if the oil does wonders to your body when you use it internally then wouldn't it do the same if you use it externally..? Two seconds later I was on my laptop googling and the rest is history. Now I'm doing my best to spread the word and to prevent more unnecessary hair torture! Now I'm in the middle of a process called "Mommy dearest, step away from the 'cones".

RedFrizz
November 22nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
And thank you everybody for your kind words :)

Buddaphlyy
November 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Your hair is beautiful and your progress is amazing. I love your username also.

fleurdelis
November 22nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
Your hair looks fab! I love your texture and color!

susiemw
November 22nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
WOW! Your hair is gorgeous, I mean GORGEOUS!
congratulations on your new hair path.. it's obviously working well for you.

Susan

winter_star
November 22nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Wow you have made some great progress! You have beautiful curls and colour too.

neon-dream
November 22nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Woww! That is a lot of growth!
Well done & keep it up!!
=D

girlcat36
November 22nd, 2008, 05:51 PM
Wow, it's beautiful!

aragorn
November 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
Your hair is beautiful and grows quite fast.

Vitalai
November 23rd, 2008, 01:31 AM
Your curls are beautiful and in such a stunning color!

Mugili
November 23rd, 2008, 01:46 AM
Wow, thats impressive! Your hair looks so healthy and strong and the colour ist really amazing!
I love henna-hair, especially in curls and i can't wait to see your hair at goal length!

Aditi
November 23rd, 2008, 03:03 AM
Your curls are beautiful and in such a stunning color!
I agree with you. Very few people have perfect curls like yours. Take good care of them.

Ryanne
November 23rd, 2008, 03:33 AM
Great growth and beautiful colour!

RedFrizz
November 23rd, 2008, 03:41 AM
Thanks y'all. And yes, I'll try to keep good care of my curls, hopefully I've learned my lessons not to do anything stupid to them anymore. They've gone through enough for one lifetime..

RedFrizz
May 21st, 2009, 02:30 AM
I updated my progress and added a photo to page 1. It's a good thing to have photos, a moment's despair is easily erased when you can actually see how long you've gone already.

Rini
May 21st, 2009, 03:13 AM
Oh wow...you DO have lovely hair!! The colour is gorgeous and it looks nice and thick too :D

TheAmaranth
May 21st, 2009, 03:25 AM
Omg, your hair grows extremely fast! I envy you :D It really looks beautiful, I love the colour!

Gutterfayrie
May 21st, 2009, 03:43 AM
Wow! Your hair is beautiful!!!!!!! That is a beautiful shade of red, and I love your curls!

Garnet66
May 21st, 2009, 10:31 AM
Wow, your hair is such a pretty color. And I love your curls. Congrats on such great growing.

melrose1985
May 21st, 2009, 11:17 AM
Oh Man! I think you have my dream hair! You r hair is very pretty!!! And that color is fantastic.

Sasha_S
May 21st, 2009, 11:25 AM
Wowza your hair grows fast! Especially for curly hair too! :o
Beautiful :) x

JamieLeigh
May 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM
Your hair looks super-gorgeous! I love that color too, it's so vivid with the green outfit you have on in your photos. :flower:

Congrats on your hair growth and progress!

Iolanthe
May 21st, 2009, 04:23 PM
I love the colour of your hair especially with the green top in the last picture.

klcqtee
May 21st, 2009, 05:01 PM
How many inches would you say you've gained over all?

Fillette
May 21st, 2009, 07:51 PM
Wow wow wow!!! That's some truly amazing growth. I wish MY hair would grow that fast. I am soooo jaleous... Anyway, your hair is truly gorgeous! Keep up the good work! :)

Paper Moon
May 22nd, 2009, 12:04 AM
I find red curls SO pretty. If my curls looked like yours I'd never want to straighten my hair again!!! You make me want to go throw some henna on. Amazing growth too!

GlassEyes
May 22nd, 2009, 06:33 AM
That si like, the most intense red I've seen from Henna.

Like, others have it brighter, but that's the most concentrated stab-your-eyes-out red I've ever seen from it. It's freaking AWESOME.

RedFrizz
May 22nd, 2009, 07:19 AM
Thanks guys, you are just simply awesome :beercheer:

How many inches would you say you've gained over all?

When I started growing my hair was about 8'' and now it's about 24''. I've however trimmed it about 6-7 times since the 'big chop' and lost about an inch every time. And couple of months ago I decided to heavily layer it 'cause my hair's more curly when it's shorter. So to finally answer your question: I've gained about 16'' and if I hadn't trimmed I'd have gained about 22'' approx by now. Must avoid trimming from now on..

Fencai
May 22nd, 2009, 08:39 AM
:agape:WOW!!! That's great!!!! I love the color and how thick and curly it is!! Great growing!

Dachsdragon
May 30th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Your hair is stunning. I love the colour.

L4dybug
May 30th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Your hair is just beautiful, I love the color. You go girl. ;)

Pburgh56
May 30th, 2009, 10:35 PM
RedFrizz ur hair is amazing. It is sooo gorgeous and is really getting long. How long do u want it?

Toadstool
May 31st, 2009, 04:00 AM
Seriously beautiful hair!

Chrissy
May 31st, 2009, 05:20 AM
It looks beautiful!!!