PDA

View Full Version : My colorist burned my scalp

Curlsgirl
November 21st, 2008, 07:21 PM
I went to my Aveda salon yesterday for a "toner" which I have been doing about once a month. She puts a blond haircolor with 10% peroxide on for about 5 minutes to help blend in the highlights with the gray. Well yesterday I told her it really wasn't working very well anymore as I have a big patch of gray on top that was showing almost immediately after I washed the first time or even sooner. She said she could leave it on longer or try a base color but she thought perhaps leaving it on for 10 minutes would help and also help me avoid doing base color between highlights. Soooooooooo she did the toner and right after I could tell it wasn't covering. She asked if I wanted her to go ahead with the base color (a medium blond) then or I could come back next week. I asked if she thought it would be okay to go ahead then so I wouldn't have to come back and she said, "I think so, yeah". I should have seen a red flag at that point but it's an Aveda salon and honestly she has been great since I have been going there. Fast forward to after it was done...she dried the top because I was going out in the cold and it was pretty dark I thought but okay. Then I got home and realized scabs were forming on one side on about a 3 inch circle area on my scalp, probably now about 6-7 scabs. I had that happen once before long ago all over my scalp and it does heal but I am wondering if I should:

1. let her know and not go back
2. just go somewhere else
3. let her know and go back there
4. something else

Opinions? Comments? Advice?

amaiaisabella
November 21st, 2008, 07:36 PM
Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry this happened to you. I would definitely go back and notify the manager, and see if you can get a refund. I would also not go back there for services, but if you've been with this lady a while, you might want to give her a second chance.

Good luck healing!

carloota
November 21st, 2008, 07:38 PM
Oh wow! This is one of many reasons why I avoid salons. It would be best to inform the manager of that salon so that they are aware of this. I hope you get better soon. :)

Nevermore
November 21st, 2008, 07:40 PM
I say let her know and see how she reacts. If she apologizes and acts appropriately, consider going back since you like the place so much. If she denies that she did it or otherwise acts badly when you let her know, think about finding a new salon (is there another Aveda one in your area?).

I hope your scalp heals soon!

wintersun99
November 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM

MandaMom2Three
November 21st, 2008, 07:51 PM
My scalp does that over the whole thing (and my ears, and my neck) with any chemical colouring :( . I usually shed like mad too (once the scabbing was particulary bad, and about 90% of my hair fell out :( . I didn;t colour again for 6 years, then I tried it again and same reaction (scabbing, thankfully all my hair didn't fall out that time!!) so no more!

spidermom
November 21st, 2008, 07:52 PM
I think that you should certainly inform her.

However, I also think that you bear some responsibility. Chemical services are inherently bad for the skin and scalp and can, at any time, cause minor to severe reactions. Those reactions can and often do appear after accumulation of processes or over time and if this is something you do often, your scalp may be reaching its limit.

Food for thought...

So true. I hope you heal quickly and avoid such in the future.

rose_in_bloom
November 21st, 2008, 08:07 PM
Yikes! I'm so sorry this happened to you. I would agree with Nevermore's suggestion, or if that doesn't work, I suggest not going to a salon at all. I've had so many bad experiences, I just don't go.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Curlsgirl
November 21st, 2008, 08:18 PM
I am aware of the risk of coloring when you do your own hair or have some type of sensitive scalp. Aside from updo pulling I have never had any problem except when a salon a long time ago used too high of a peroxide volume and let it on way too long. That is why I went to a reputable salon to get the color. I am not skilled to know what to do to AVOID things like this. I think a good salon should know that much especially when you pay the kind of money they charge. I disagree that it would be my responsibility to know.

spidermom
November 22nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
I am aware of the risk of coloring when you do your own hair or have some type of sensitive scalp. Aside from updo pulling I have never had any problem except when a salon a long time ago used too high of a peroxide volume and let it on way too long. That is why I went to a reputable salon to get the color. I am not skilled to know what to do to AVOID things like this. I think a good salon should know that much especially when you pay the kind of money they charge. I disagree that it would be my responsibility to know.

I do apologize. I assumed that there would have been a disclosure session where the stylist tells you the risks of chemical processing and you agree to accept them. I had to sign a statement that I understood the risks the last time I had a perm. Of course few of us ever think the worst case scenario is going to happen to us. I wish you speedy healing and hope it doesn't happen again.

Hatsumomo
November 22nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
Sorry to hear that this happened to you and hope that your scalp makes a speedy recovery:)

Samikha
November 22nd, 2008, 10:48 AM
1. let her know and not go back
2. just go somewhere else
3. let her know and go back there
4. something else

Opinions? Comments? Advice?

Definitely tell her! She won't know that she did something wrong if no one informs her, and this might end up happening again because no one says anything when it happens. I agree with the others that going back would depend on her reaction; if she's horrified, that's a good sign. The salon ought to refund your money IMO, but you'll just have to see.

The most important thing in these situations when something goes wrong is to give people a chance to avoid it in the future. You may not go back, but if you tell her perhaps someone else will avoid having their scalp burned. We can't learn from something we don't know happened.

I hope you heal swiftly and that this never happens again :)

jojo
November 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Oh dear id tell her what happened, in the meantime put some AVG on your scalp it will heal. Ive got this in the past and it hurts but does get better. xx

justgreen
November 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
I would definitely tell her, go back and SHOW her. Speedy healing!

spidermom
November 22nd, 2008, 11:51 AM
I also think you should go back and let her know. Now she will know what NOT to do, which is a good thing. It's hard to predict which person will have a bad reaction to which process.

nienna42
November 22nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
I'm sorry to hear this.

It seems like you've been very happy with this stylist so far, though, and in my experience, good, long-hair friendly stylists are hard to find. I'd tell her what happened and give her another chance. There is some risk with chemical processing, even if the stylist should be trained to minimize that risk, and everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

redtea
November 22nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Sorry this happened! I agree with everyone else that you should go back to the salon and let them know what happened. I also think that if you decide to color your hair again you should do a patch test first to make sure you haven't developed an allergy, even though it was more likely a result of the two processes being done so close together.

Lamb
November 22nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
I think you should go back asap and tell her (and show her the scabs).
I also think it is possible she used a different peroxide concentrate (more than 10%), but there is no telling, it can also be that your scalp reacted badly to the dye.
Hugs, and I hope your scalp heals very quickly! :flowers:

Copasetic
November 22nd, 2008, 03:05 PM
i would let her know what happened, and ask why it happened. if she knows why, and made an honest mistake, then that is understandable. it should also mean that she should correct the mistake (if there is one to correct) at no charge. but if she does not know why, i would inform the manager and stop going. if she doesn't know why it happened, she could make the same mistake again, not just on you, but others as well.

Unofficial_Rose
November 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
Nothing, except :grouphug: from me, and wishing your scalp heals quickly.

missy60
November 22nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
I think since you have used both products before and didnt have any reaction she couldnt of known this would happen. I color all the time and I wouldnt think just adding a 5 min toner would hurt your scalp either. Its just like a double process so she couldnt of known you would have a reaction to the products she has used before on you. Alot of people bleach and tone with no problem.

I sometimes get a reaction to color, but my stylist has been adding Sweet N Low to the color. I havent had a reaction since she has been doing this. You can also have an allergic reaction to things you have previously used.

I would tell her about your reaction though so she will know what happened, because like Lamb said she might have used something different in the base color this time.

zen_oven
November 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Oh dear! I would let her know. Not sure what to tell you about going back or not--it sounds like you've been to her before and had good luck in the past, so maybe you should give her another chance. I don't know that I would go back, but that's me. . . I don't really have any advice because the last time I had any professional coloring done was years ago and I lucked out then. I hope your scalp heals fast and that it's not uncomfortable. :-(

lora410
November 22nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
If she has been good to you I would speak to her privately before seeing a mananger. If she is sincere then I see no need to bring it to a managers attention. Accidents happen and we all make mistakes.

Curlsgirl
November 22nd, 2008, 04:09 PM
I do apologize. I assumed that there would have been a disclosure session where the stylist tells you the risks of chemical processing and you agree to accept them. I had to sign a statement that I understood the risks the last time I had a perm. Of course few of us ever think the worst case scenario is going to happen to us. I wish you speedy healing and hope it doesn't happen again.Oh thank you and that's quite alright. No didn't sign anything. I think I am going to ask her how much peroxide for sure was in each treatment. If they were both 20% or more for instance then that could mean she really shouldn't have done one right after another. This "toner" was not just a regular toner I do know that in that it did contain peroxide. I can't remember whether it's 10 or 20 to be honest.

Thanks everyone so much. At least it's just in one area and my hair doesn't feel damaged at all. I think I will just call her on Tuesday (the next day they are open) and let her know and then decide what to do. I really appreciate all the hugs and good wishes :love: