PDA

View Full Version : Show me your sweepy fringe(bangs)!!!

gallows_gallery
November 21st, 2008, 11:32 AM
So I'm thinking about getting a very fine, long, sweepy side fringe cut. I want this because when ever I tie my hair up the hairdo itself looks very soft and elegant but my head looks like an egg due to no hair around the face.

My current layers are too long to have out around the face - they would look riddiculous.

SO! Those of you with sweeping fringes, side fringes etc. SHOW ME!! Google image searches really aren't coming up with the kind of thing I want.

Also - please comment - are they annoying? Can you push them to the side so they're virtually unnoticeable? Etc.

amaiaisabella
November 21st, 2008, 11:47 AM
I like mine. I have no pictures at the moment, but there are a few in my album if you want to check them out :) My bangs sweep over my left eye, and I have a few on the right side so it doesn't look totally unbalanced. I actually like mine a bit longer, just past the eye, but they don't grow very fast so I just clean them up every month or so.

I also sometimes part them in the middle for when I want them "less dramatic." Very versatile, I promise :)

bjt
November 21st, 2008, 11:50 AM
I"m with you--I've been on the verge of this for a while. I asked my hair dresser about it, and she didn't want to do it. when I asked her to show me which hairs she *would* cut, she took a bunch just at the very top of my hairline--and since my hair is straight, it would just hang down in my face, so I didn't do it.

I have cut a few myself, but they are rather long (past my chin) and they are a little annoying (they hang straight down, just like I thought) and just look kinda messy, not elegant or softening. they are long enough, though, that they can be in a bun and not showing.

the only thing I have used that helps with the severe, egg-shape head with no bangs look is to use side combs, with or without a rolled piece of hair along the side of my head. they help my hair/head have a more interesting shape, hides my ears sticking out a bit, and looks all around better than having everything straight back. Not sure if that is something that would help you or not!

I'll be watching this thread for more info,too.

bjt
November 21st, 2008, 11:52 AM
I like mine. I have no pictures at the moment, but there are a few in my album

Hey amaiaisabella, I'm probably confused, but I couldn't find your album... is it hidden or something?

Sherri
November 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n285/Sherri3_2006/lhc1015.jpg
These are mine. They can be annoying sometimes, but most of it is new hair that has come in so it is getting longer and not bothering me as much. I like that it hides my huge forehead.

gallows_gallery
November 21st, 2008, 12:16 PM
Oooh thanks guys!

Yeah I would want mine to be just under eye-length and with not too much hair in them. I do a side part and sweep my hair over my forehead but I still look like a volumeless egg head hahaha.

I also have some short layers about chin length - those are the ones that look riddiculous if I try to have them out. I wonder if my hair would have the actual volume/shape to do a nice soft slightly puffy side fringe - my hair is really limp and the last thing I want is a hideous limp not-so-side fringe :S

backtolonghair
November 21st, 2008, 02:03 PM
So I'm thinking about getting a very fine, long, sweepy side fringe cut. I want this because when ever I tie my hair up the hairdo itself looks very soft and elegant but my head looks like an egg due to no hair around the face.

My current layers are too long to have out around the face - they would look riddiculous.

SO! Those of you with sweeping fringes, side fringes etc. SHOW ME!! Google image searches really aren't coming up with the kind of thing I want.

Also - please comment - are they annoying? Can you push them to the side so they're virtually unnoticeable? Etc.

Hey there... I say go for it! :) I think side bangs would be cute! I had them for awhile and they were nice, but I will admit they can get annoying at times, but you can make them work.. I would definitely get bangs that were like you said side swept and longer than the shorter ones. I find those to be more flattering, and if you don't like them you can always grow them out into a more layered look.

I just typed in side swept bangs on yahoo and clicked on the images thing and a bunch of pictures came up. That should help. :)

Have a good day!

Mugili
November 21st, 2008, 02:12 PM
Sherri, your hair looks really nice! So warm and soft! Wonderfull cut!

catfish
November 21st, 2008, 02:13 PM
I don't have any pictures for you cause they were pre- LHC, but I am not found of fringe simply because for me they are very annoying :rolleyes:

My face is very round, and I too thought that a few face framing layers/fringe/bangs would look cute, and they did, but the pieces too short to tuck behind my ears got in my eyes and in my way, and the long pieces just ended up behind my ears.

If you don't mind things on your face then go for it, if you wear your hair up to keep it away from your face then I'd say think about it. Hope this helps:D

manderly
November 21st, 2008, 02:17 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/b7766d3b.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/f76c6832.jpg

Don't be afraid :D They will always grow if you don't like them.

Did you try www.taaz.com with your own photo to see how you'd look?

eaglefeather71
November 21st, 2008, 02:42 PM
I think you can see mine in my avatar. If not, I can send a better picture.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc104/ckatto71/IMAGE_00364.jpg

This one is similar but shows the fringe better.

I actually am growing bangs out, and I can't wait till they get long enough to go behind my ear. I like they way they look and act right now, but just a Little longer will be better.

LawyerGirl
November 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM
Mine may be longer than what you had in mind...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/Elena1282/August27Elena.jpg

(Old picture)

jojo
November 21st, 2008, 06:07 PM
I love side swept fringes but my hair is very curly in parts around my fringe and they just annoy me but your hair is straighter and as the gorgeous manderly says they grow back, I love her fringe (the others are lovely too!) and she did them herself. I say go for it!

joyfulmom4
November 21st, 2008, 06:46 PM
I love side-swept bangs too. I think with your silky smooth hair, they've be lovely.

gallows_gallery
November 22nd, 2008, 05:30 AM
Thanks again for all your replies!

Manderly - your fringe is just lovely, it sits so perfectly! I would want a little less hair in mine (i.e. not so thick) but I really hope it would sit like yours.

Lawyergirl - yours looks great flicked out, I wish I could do that but my hair is SO limp.

Last night I held the ends of my current layers up so they formed what would be my fringe - I quite like it - still unsure. I'm worried that they'd go all kinky and not sit so nicely.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p227/mollusclove/CIMG8677.jpg

What do you all think? Honestly...

logica_divina
November 22nd, 2008, 05:40 AM
I'm not really a big fan of bangs, but I think they'll suit you very well. This is a great pic. And I think you should go ahead and do it.

gallows_gallery
November 22nd, 2008, 05:49 AM
Thanks logica_divinia!

I'm getting really tempted. Exams finish on Tuesday, and I've vowed to first redye (using henna and indigo for the first time) then possibly cut the fringe.

eeeeeee!

Elphie
November 22nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
What a clever way to see if they would look good on you! I think that photo is brilliant!

I cut my own fringe, the key for mine is to make sure I cut it about a centimeter above the tip of my nose. If you're going to cut your own, be sure to cut them way longer than you think you might want. You can always go shorter if you need too. When mine are past the tip of my nose, they develop a wave pattern that's harder for me to work with.

Nes
November 22nd, 2008, 06:26 AM
Wow I think that really suits you. I would go for it if I were you!

If you don't like them, they will be easy to grow out with no awkward growing out phase in the same way as, say a blunt cut fringe would.

I used to have a similar fringe and it didn't bother me apart from when I was looking down at something and they swung in front of my eye so I couldn't see. In the end I carried round a sparkly clip to keep them back when necessary.

Nes x

Periwinkle
November 22nd, 2008, 06:31 AM
That picture looks great!

I've been thinking about this as well. When I had my hair cut in January, the hairdresser screwed up the front and cut a very small amount too short to tie back (about 20 hairs from one side). It would stick up very badly and I had to pull it down over my face and put it behind my ear in order to make it look okay. It was all different lengths and looked a mess, so I cut it up to where most of it was, which was about eye level. Since then, I've added a little more hair to make it more even and it's grown out so that now it *just* goes behind my ear.

I really, really like the look but there isn't really enough hair there to work with at the moment and I'm scared of getting it cut properly. I hate hair in my face, but what's there doesn't bother me as much as I thought, especially now it goes behind my ear properly. I'd like a thicker fringe that would hang properly (combed so all the strands are separate, it looks like a heavier fringe and it looks good, but my hair waves and clumps together, which still looks nice but not *as* nice) and that would clip back well, but I'm still a little wary.

I'll take some pictures later.

manderly
November 22nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
They look great on you :) And just blowfry them. I have to, otherwise they're all wonky. That's the only bit of my hair that gets a blast from the fyer anymore.

arylkin
November 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks again for all your replies!

Last night I held the ends of my current layers up so they formed what would be my fringe - I quite like it - still unsure. I'm worried that they'd go all kinky and not sit so nicely.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p227/mollusclove/CIMG8677.jpg

What do you all think? Honestly...

Oh! They look really nice on you!

Darkhorse1
November 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
GG--you have a beautiful face and shape of face--you can get away with a lot of styles (according to magazines etc.) have you gone to some of those hair style sites? www.taaz.com was cool! You can try on my styles to see if they suit your face, and colors and make up. My friend and I had a BLAST....and yes, we tried the afro. OMG, it was soooo funny. (no, poofy hair does NOT suit me).

That photo is stunning! Just remember though, bangs get in the way--if you aren't used to hair in your face, it can be frustrating.

I love my fringe, though mine doesn't hang straight due to natural body in my hair (no complaints!). I'm growing the bulk of my bangs out, and love the look with my tiny fringe. My face looks like a potato, so I like the fact my fringe gives it some balance.

NiAosSi
November 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
GG, go for it! They *really* suit you. I think you'd wear 'em well!

backtolonghair
November 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
Yep, I think you should get them too! They would look AWESOME! :)

It's up to you though, but yes, they would rock!

GlassEyes
November 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
They suit you, but you can go either way really. Up to you. xD;

Sherri
November 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
I like them they look nice.

gretchen_hair
November 22nd, 2008, 10:15 PM
I have been also wanting to do the side swept bangs. I however do not want to cut any length off the back and i think i need all over layers to pull it off.

SearMeCarefully
November 22nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Oh that looks really good on you! I'm totally in the same boat, I've been thinking about it for awhile, but I want mine longer - I think it'd soften up any updos/braids etc, make it a bit more.. soft/sexy. I'm thinking along tomb raider style
like this: http://www.bluecherrydoughnut.com/curiousfinds/tomb-raider-header.jpg

SearMeCarefully
November 22nd, 2008, 10:39 PM
Lol I googled laura croft and here's a cosplay that looks pretty good along the lines I'm thinking..
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/424445275_abbf4b7d69.jpg?v=0

Debra83
November 22nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
IMHO, I believe bangs help to soften and help people look younger. When I get tired of them (not very often, but occasionally) I pin them back, or put them in a headband.(I did them myself)

Vitalai
November 23rd, 2008, 12:36 AM
You have a beautiful face. I really think you could pull of anything if you wanted to. The bangs look great on you! I say go for it. I love mine.

amaiaisabella
November 23rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
I like mine. I have no pictures at the moment, but there are a few in my album if you want to check them out

Hey amaiaisabella, I'm probably confused, but I couldn't find your album... is it hidden or something?

Whoops, sorry! I guess it's on private. I'm not sure how to fix that :( Let's see if this works:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z20/amaiai64/newcut.jpg

This is when the bangs were first cut, but they are past my eyes by now. Still very nice, though :)

gallows_gallery
November 23rd, 2008, 07:59 AM
Thank you all for your encouragement and photos! I think I'm going to do it. Besides - if I don't like it it will grow back into my chin-length layers which I love pretty fast.

I will dye it first, then visit my hairdresser with some strict instructions and photos.

Manderly - good idea with the hairdryer. My sister also has a straightener, and it wouldn't worry me just doing that one little bit of hair.

As soon as it's done I'll post bulk photos!

Um Enis
December 5th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Mine may be longer than what you had in mind...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/Elena1282/August27Elena.jpg

(Old picture)
How did you style that? Does your hair air-dry like that or did it come from an updo like that? Or more help?

Vitalai
December 5th, 2008, 06:15 PM
So... Have you gotten the bangs yet? :D

gallows_gallery
December 6th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Not yet! Not yet! But it will be soon. I got some insane strain of gastro from Singapore and ended up in hospital for a week. This meant I had to cancel all my work shifts (so no money) and spend the little I had left on $80 anti nausea tablets! Talk about a bad week!

Photos soon ^_^ I promise x x

Elphie
December 6th, 2008, 10:08 AM
(((gallows))) I hope you're feeling better, that sounds awful!

gallows_gallery
December 6th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Thank you Elphie, I am feeling MUCH better!

LawyerGirl
December 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM
How did you style that? Does your hair air-dry like that or did it come from an updo like that? Or more help?

Air-drying does this to my hair. If I get a good cut, the waves come out nicely.

Vitalai
December 6th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm glad you're feeling better now.

Um Enis
December 6th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Ok, then either you are so not a 1c, or I am so not a 1c!

Crysania
December 6th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I have a few photos of my bangs in my albums

LawyerGirl
December 6th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Ok, then either you are so not a 1c, or I am so not a 1c!

Ha my hair is confused. It will be straight one day, wavy the next. It's hard to say what my hair's texture is because it varies so much depending on condition and length, and how it's cut. If it's healthy it tends to be straighter (and very thick).

My hair will be really straight until I get enough length to get some big waves, so I planned on adjusting my "texture" when that happened! LOL sorry for being confusing, my hair is still too short to be anything but straight at the moment!

morguebabe
December 6th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I have bangs in my Hair Through the Years ALbum.