PDA

View Full Version : HI, I'm back. And I need help.

morguebabe
November 21st, 2008, 08:14 AM
Hi, I'm back. I don't know if anyone remembers me.
I've had a rough year or so.
I bleached parts of my hair to add color (purples and reds).
My hair also has entirely changed. As it has gotten longer, it just got dry and crunchy on my ends. My scalp got way more oily than normal. I was doing C-W-C once a week, and now at past butt length, it just dosen't work.
I tried CO only (I have wavey hair) and my scalp got so so so greasy I was told my coworkers to go home and wash my hair.
I'm on CalanSR everyday for migraines and I think it's making me loose my hair..I see more scalp and pony tail is much thinner.
I need products for limp hair, for oily scalp, for wavey hair, for color treated hair. (I like natural, animal safe products).
I'm just at a loss I haven't been here in a year and I think my hair is getting bad. I'll post some pictures tonite.
Any one want to encourage me and give me some tips reminders suggestions?

mira-chan
November 21st, 2008, 09:01 AM
Have you tried scalp washing instead of doing full washes? It will keep the ends from drying out but reduce the scalp oiliness.

morguebabe
November 21st, 2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah I currently stopped doing CO washing (getting too greasy) and I went back to using just C-W-C method, which is just a little bit of shampoo on the scalp. I even mix it with water before putting it on.

Radulfr
November 21st, 2008, 09:19 AM
Welcome back!

Accolady
November 21st, 2008, 09:29 AM
I don't know if anyone remembers me.

Oh, silly you! Of course we remember you! Whoo hoo, welcome back!

The only thing I forgot was whether you spelled your name with an
E on the end or not.

:joy:

spidermom
November 21st, 2008, 10:19 AM
I remember you, too. I wondered when you'd pop in again. Have you clarified? It seems counter-intuitive to me still, but every time my hair gets dry and snarly, it returns to soft and silky after a good clarifying. I like to oil the day before a wash and CWC with diluted shampoo most of the time.

jel
November 21st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Welcome back! :cheer: Your hair looks great in your avatar, the colour stripes are stunning!

Now, about your problems. Dry and crunchy ends, to me, mean buildup. On my hair that would probably be protein buildup, but Gladtobemom has recently written a comprehensive post on clarifying and I will try to link it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15746). So, the solution for dry, crunchy ends would be clarifying, followed by moisture (how about a good SMT?) and, finally, a little oil to seal it in.

About your oily scalp - what kind of weather/temperature conditions are you in? Central heating in winter can make skin, including scalp skin, more oily. Maybe you need to wash more often than once a week in winter (but with a diluted shampoo, or even a scalp wash only as mira-chan suggested). Conversely, a good scalp massage with jojoba oil (and some essential oils in it, such as lavender and/or rosemary) sometimes helps balance my scalp oiliness... Scalp massage could help with the thinning too - but if you think your medication is causing hair loss, I would talk to your doctor a.s.a.p.!

Fillette
November 21st, 2008, 11:01 AM
Hello and welcome back!
Have you tried washing your scalp only. The method is described here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=85
You should probably keep conditioning your ends so they don't dry out but wash your scalp when it needs it.
I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but... just my 2 cents.

Cinnamon Hair
November 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM
Good to see you again Ann! :waving: No advice, but I think your hair looks gorgeous as ever in your profile pic.

morguebabe
November 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM
Have you tried scalp washing instead of doing full washes? It will keep the ends from drying out but reduce the scalp oiliness. I thought that C-W-C was that, but now I see what you mean, and no I will try that next.

Oh, silly you! Of course we remember you! Whoo hoo, welcome back!

The only thing I forgot was whether you spelled your name with an
E on the end or not.

:joy:
It's Ann, no E.
Glad to see you!

I remember you, too. I wondered when you'd pop in again. Have you clarified? It seems counter-intuitive to me still, but every time my hair gets dry and snarly, it returns to soft and silky after a good clarifying. I like to oil the day before a wash and CWC with diluted shampoo most of the time.
I used Cristophe Beverly Hills Purely Natural Claifying this morning and wanted to cry, when my hair (which I dyed weeks ago) had alot of color run off, blacks, red and purple were pouring out... I wasn't a fan and it makes me nervous how can i hold color and clarify?

To jel - NJ coast.. its dry cold. I don't know. I guess I can get build up I'll check that out thanks. So Jojoba oil helps with oily scalp?

To Fillete - Thanks, that article looks hard but I'll try it.

Hi Cinnamon!! Glad you are still here. I've missed everyone.

chrissy-b
November 21st, 2008, 01:37 PM
Hello!

If you are afraid of losing your color when you clarify, maybe you could try a deep moisture treatment for your ends. Maybe a SMT?

When I started stretching out washes my ends became dry and tangly while my scalp became more oily until it settle down after a couple of month (though I still struggle to find a decent balance so I don't look like a greasy and tangled mess). One thing that has helped my ends immensely is to never go without a leave-in. I alternate between a little Honeysuckle Rose conditioner, shea butter, coconut oil, and Giovanni's Direct Leave-in depending on what my hair needs, but I almost never go without something on my ends.

Good luck and welcome back!

ole gray mare
November 21st, 2008, 02:23 PM
Hi there. I remember you and your gorgeous hair. :waving:

I've recently become a fan of Dianyla's wash/condition method. She posted about it in her blog over the summer. I've been using this method and my hair is consistently happy, soft and shiny from scalp to ends now, and no build-up.

Chrissy
November 22nd, 2008, 07:06 AM
Hi! I remember you too. I know you aren't really happy with your hair right now but it has gotten so long!! I hope one of the methods that people are posting will make your hair very happy. It's good to see you back.

brok3nwings
November 22nd, 2008, 09:01 AM
I think your hair is beautiful, has always been beautiful, you will find your best way to treat it right, dont worry about it :)

morguebabe
November 22nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
:blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing:
Gosh thanks everyone.

Wind Dragon
November 22nd, 2008, 11:51 AM
Hey there, good to see you again! Your hair is way out of my league :face: so I may not have any useful advice for you, but I've been pre-treating with coconut oil before every wash, and haven't yet had any trouble with buildup from the cone-laden stuff I wash and condition with these days. Disclaimers: I don't use any other product, and my hair is barely back to BSL since my last cut; no color, either. So as always of course YMMV, but maybe worth a try?.

I just took a good look at your siggy and see that coconut oil is already one of your leave-ins, but a heavier oiling pre-wash (especially at the ends) still might make a difference.

Beautiful, all your pictures. Welcome back! :flowers:

Mebo
November 22nd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Where have you been????? We've missed you so much! Glad you're home, please stay!

morguebabe
November 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Where have you been?????
Let's see.
I remember about maybe 1 or 2 years ago the boards were down for a while..
Then I started going through a divorce in Jan 2007. I was just busy. I started working 2 jobs and I was banking 15 hours of sleep for a 75-80 work week...combined with 8 hours of band and driving, I literally came home fed cats and slept.
THEN....My home computer started acting up..then it broke. SO lost my bookmarks TWO times.
I finally everyone again.
:-D
It's good to be back.
:cheese::cheese:

jessie58
November 22nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
Welcome back Morguebabe!!!

Chrissy
November 23rd, 2008, 05:00 AM
Wow you've been busy/through a lot. I am so glad you found us once again. I remember way back in the day when you were growing. You're hair has just gotten so long. I think it's very pretty and I do hope (as I said in my other post) that you find what will help you feel better about your hair. Good luck to you!!!