PDA

View Full Version : Can wearing a hat be damaging to hair?

Lamb
November 20th, 2008, 04:50 PM
This is a weird question. Winter has officially arrived here in Ontario and it looks like it's come to stay. I remember last winter's icy winds and temperatures did some serious harm to my hair, so this time I make sure my head is covered when I'm out. I have found some knitted caps I like, and I have a big shawl I can wear on my head, too.
Question: can the abrasion from the knitted hats (or the shawl) be bad for hair? I'm asking this because I noticed my hair was frizzier after spending some hours outside in a hat. Or does it matter what kind of yarn/fabric the hat is made of?

Thanks!

mira-chan
November 20th, 2008, 05:16 PM
The yarn/ fabric does matter. The smoother fabrics are gentler on your hair. I tie a scarf over my hair in the winter. If I'm wearing a hat, I pick a silk scarf and wear it under the hat. Extra warmth doesn't hurt. :D

Aisha25
November 20th, 2008, 05:32 PM
You have some thick hair I wanna see how you look with this hat on:D and yeah mira-chan is right cause if you get a rough fabric hat it could rip yours hair or break them so it's good to get a silk something to wear under.

Lamb
November 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I think a scarf is a better idea. Or perhaps sewing a piece of silk/satin inside the hat?
Aisha - my hair is far from thick! But thank you.

On another note, it amused me that someone actually bothered to rate this thread ... :lol:

Tressie
November 20th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks for this idea! I had bought a big red knitted hat, like a stocking cap. I figured it would work over a bun on the top of my head, and now I know I might need to wear a silk scarf under it!

wintersun99
November 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM

EvaSimone
November 20th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I don't bother with hats because my hair gets fuzzy, well I do have a big newsboy hat that I'll wear sometimes.

I have a few warm pashmina shawls and those are what I use. I wrap them around my hair and over my nose and mouth when I am out in December and January. It's not a very cute look but it's very warm.

Payal80
November 21st, 2008, 01:32 AM
how on earth wearing hats damages hair unless its ill fitting or too tight

Bloodflower
November 21st, 2008, 02:04 AM
I don't think wearing a hat will damage your hair more than wearing it down in windy weather. In fact I think there is minimal danger of damage because the hair stays put under the hat. It's not like your hair will rub constantly against the fabric, right? Of course if you take it off every few minutes this could put stress on the canopy.

I guess the frizziness you've experienced comes either from static or from dryness. My hair is always drier in the winter and thus more frizzy.