PDA

View Full Version : how do you braid super lengths?

jojo
November 20th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Please share your secret, I am barely BSL but have started noticing in just the last week as I braid, the bottom bit gets tangled. I have tried bringing it forward which helps a bit but I just cannot imagine how long hairs do this.

Is it just practice or do you think its my ends which are just awkward?

Euphony
November 20th, 2008, 04:19 PM
You know I had a head/desk moment not long ago due to a braiding thread on LHC. My hair is nearing tail bone so the braiding is getting more difficult. Try tipping your head forward and braid your hair upside down.

jojo
November 20th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Now that sounds like a plan! I will try that thanks xx

Islandgrrl
November 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM
JoJo, as I braid, I run my fingers down to the ends of the chunk of hair to keep it separate until I get close enough to the ends that they don't get all tangled up. It's how I used to do it when it was super long, too.

Shandra
November 20th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I have just past classic and this is how I braid my hair (which I do nightly).

I braid my hair behind and above my head until my arms are too short. Then I bring the hair over my shoulder. At that point I hold my braid with one hand and comb the ends of my hair back out straight with the other. Then I braid down the rest of the hair, and after each plait, I straighten out the ends. Continue until you come to the end.

Aisha25
November 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM
JoJo, as I braid, I run my fingers down to the ends of the chunk of hair to keep it separate until I get close enough to the ends that they don't get all tangled up. It's how I used to do it when it was super long, too.
I braid mine like this too and mine never gets tangled it's easier the longer it gets actually:)

mira-chan
November 20th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I braid mine like this too and mine never gets tangled it's easier the longer it gets actually:)
Another vote for that method.

ChatoyantLocks
November 20th, 2008, 05:15 PM

Yes, this. When you braid the top of your braid, it will try to put a mirror image twist at the end of the braid if you only get the middle part to cross over. Running your fingers between the sections each couple of crosses will make sure it goes all the way to the bottom.

Delila
November 20th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I agree that it's best to run your hands down each section periodically to keep things in each section smoothed and untangled. Sometimes I braid over my shoulder, sometimes I bring the length straight over my head, down in front of my nose.

Also, I've heard that you can snare the middle of your braid on something like a doorknob so you can continue braiding to the end. Guess this only applies to super long hair, though, I haven't had reason to try it, yet.

Anje
November 20th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I'm another over-the-shoulder, run hands to the ends braider. I've heard that once it gets too long to reach the braid, you can wrap it around your neck, but I like the doorknob idea better (assuming it doesn't get caught in the mechanism).

truepeacenik
November 20th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I have just past classic and this is how I braid my hair (which I do nightly).

I braid my hair behind and above my head until my arms are too short. Then I bring the hair over my shoulder. At that point I hold my braid with one hand and comb the ends of my hair back out straight with the other. Then I braid down the rest of the hair, and after each plait, I straighten out the ends. Continue until you come to the end.

this, but i like symmetry, so the braid is along my center part.

sahiba
November 21st, 2008, 03:44 AM
Another vote for that method.

And another ... though I do not have super length.:)

Aditi
November 21st, 2008, 03:55 AM
Even i cant braid my hair although my hair has good length, i always end up tangling my hair or all the hairs keep falling out after few minutes. After going through you thread i think i will give it another go. Thanks to all for your suggestions

wendyg
November 21st, 2008, 05:09 AM
For a terrific demonstration see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAwAtnvm24g

And you get a bun besides.

wg

joyfulmom4
November 21st, 2008, 07:38 AM
I also braid above my head until I can't reach anymore, then bring the braid over my shoulder to finish. I smooth or finger comb the ends to smooth them. Oiling the length/ends helps a lot in making a nice smooth braid.

Lady Godiva
November 21st, 2008, 12:44 PM
Yes, after each crossover, run your hand down the lock of hair to undo the upbraiding at the bottom.

Also, I've heard that you can snare the middle of your braid on something like a doorknob so you can continue braiding to the end.Doorknobs are great for this, as are bedposts, drawer handles, towel racks or any other sturdy fixture or item of furniture that has an attached narrow part that you can place your unfinished braid behind for the purpose of braiding back toward yourself. A ladder-back chair is perfect. Once you employ the helper item, braiding becomes like braiding another person's hair. Even a large, heavy book or tool will work, if you place it on top of the unfinished braid on a table. Trust me, they'll do the trick. :agree:

jojo
November 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks everyone, i tried the running my hands down each section works great and I can now pull it forward to finish it off.

As for using bed knobs and broom sticks thats eons away for me but a lovely visual, if only i could do that!