PDA

View Full Version : Winter weather cause hair problems?

plainjanegirl
November 20th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Does anybody else have this problem? I don't remember last winter being like this or maybe I didn't pay as much attention to my hair. Summer was bad with my hair and then my hair was doing great in the fall. But now that the weather has been cold my hair has been dry and rough. So what do you all do to help against this? I was enjoying wearing my hair down more often and I do not want to have to have my hair up or in a braid all winter. There has got to be a way to get through this enjoyably. I have tried using a spray mix of conditioner and water or just my regular conditioner as a leave in but those don't seem to help. Do you all find it better to wash your hair at night or during the day or does it matter? Is it better to wash it and let it dry while you will be at home all day? My hair was behaving and was so nice and smooth but now it is rebelling bad. My hair does not like the SMT's very well no matter how I do those or with what. Does more frequent deep conditioning help and if so how often? I will be so grateful for any help!!!

jojo
November 20th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I notice my hair gets more greasy in cold weather. Though i have started using oils on my ends daily, just a wee bit maybe this could be an option for you. Or maybe you need to clarify or do a light dusting?

plainjanegirl
November 20th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the help. I just clarified Sunday, since it had been about a month. Last month it helped but not this time.

jojo
November 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Now I did have problems in summer, have you tried putting a teeny bit of oil on the last inch of your hair and then bun it away to keep the ends protected. I have been doing this for the past month and my ends have improved no end, plus you can't see the oil!

spidermom
November 20th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I think it's indoor heating that causes the problem. I've been struggling with difficult hair for the last 3 weeks or so - so dry and snarly. I was oiling it a lot; got buildup; clarified. My hair is better now, but I'm sure it's temporary.

Arctic
November 20th, 2008, 04:16 PM
My hair loves deep treatments, so you could try doing them more often. Your hair (or scalp) will tell you if it's had enough of them.

You don't mention what kind of weather there typically is where you live, that might help a bit.
Here in Finland it's typically very cold, the air is very dry both inside and outside, so I try to moisturize a lot. I also like to keep my hair up and protect it with hats from cold and wind.

plainjanegirl
November 20th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Oh well I am in Illinois. Like today's high was in the 30's. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be 16 degrees. And this is just the beginning....winter doesn't officialy start until in December.

ChloeDharma
November 20th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Yup, my hair is getting dryer recently, especially when i've let it be worn in an uncontained style. Using sweet almond oil on the length heavily pre-wash helps. If an SMT doesn't work for you, have you tried yogurt? I find that incredible for treating my hair when it's parched.
I don't know if this works for everybody, but another thing i do is oil my hair a teensy bit more than lightly, but not a proper heavy oiling, then bun it loosely and sleep in it overnight....usually if i get the amount just right then the excess has absorbed and it leaves my hair nice and glossy when i comb out....misting then lightly oiling and doing the same as i just described also tends to have that effect.
Misting in general a few times a day should also help as winter often sucks the moisture from hair so it helps to replenish it.

wintersun99
November 20th, 2008, 06:03 PM

kunibob
November 20th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Big YES on this one for me. I have been oiling very heavily the night before washing, and that seems to have helped a bit. My ends are so dry that I'm afraid I might need a trim. :( They were so nice and soft up until last week...

ChloeDharma
November 20th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Big YES on this one for me. I have been oiling very heavily the night before washing, and that seems to have helped a bit. My ends are so dry that I'm afraid I might need a trim. :( They were so nice and soft up until last week...

I think if your ends were fine up until last week then it's very unlikely you need a trim....it's just a matter of finding what works in the new conditions. Keeping it misted, oiled and up with the ends safely tucked out of the way might do the trick, but often the effects of this takes some time to show the benefits.....one thing i've found out (at least in my case) is that dealing with the challenges of growing hair is mainly a matter of being stubborn ;)

Tressie
November 20th, 2008, 06:46 PM
YuK, me too! I put some coconut oil on my canopy when I got home from work, because it felt so straw-like! I am beginning to have the static issue too! I have been threatening to purchase a bone comb and I think I'll just go ahead and cough up the cash!

RavenDream
November 20th, 2008, 08:32 PM
From the ears down is straw like and then my scalp is an oil slick. I've found the best thing I can do is keep it up when I'm outside and just make sure to keep my fingers away from my scalp.

Curlsgirl
November 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I find I cannot leave my regular conditioner in but need a better leave-in. I can't brag about Biolage conditioning balm enough for that. I also oil the ends with some coconut oil on top of that and haven't had a problem with dry hair yet and the temps have been horrible here for this time of year. I am also starting to use a humidifier in my bedroom at night. I try to wash on days I am not going out that night. I get home from work at about 4 so I wash right away and turn the heat up in the house for a while. By the time I go to bed at about 10 or so it's not dry but mostly. Then in the morning I wake up and it is dry and curly. My hair seems to like going to bed a little damp :D I keep my hair out of the wind by keeping it up, preferable the ends covered and lately have been making myself not wear it down every day at work but putting it up at least half the time. This seems to help a little.

Calanthe
November 20th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Unfortunately, yes. I blame indoor heating. My hair is much much drier and "electrified". I hate that. The only thing which seems to help (at least a bit) ist moisture, moisture, moisture.

Humidifier? Now, that sounds like a good idea. I'll think about that. Thanks, Curlsgirl.

Arctic
November 21st, 2008, 04:37 AM
I also usually dampen my hair a bit before putting it up in a sleep bun, which I then cover with bandanna. Sometimes I add some diluted conditioner to the damp ends, and/or aloe gel and/or a bit of oil, but my scalp dosn't like oils so much so I have to keep them as a special treats for hair only every now and then.

I've read a good tip that many members when they wash they hands they wipe the excess water from the hands to their hair :D

Lady Verity
November 21st, 2008, 04:57 AM
I hate winter! Haaaate! :mad:

If the central heating isn't drying my hair out, the collars on my 10,000 layers of clothing are tearing it to death.

ChloeDharma
November 21st, 2008, 05:11 AM
I hate winter! Haaaate! :mad:

If the central heating isn't drying my hair out, the collars on my 10,000 layers of clothing are tearing it to death.

Oh that's one of my pet hates too, i've kind of given up thinking that i can prevent breakage at the back.

Rhaenys
November 21st, 2008, 05:22 AM
I noticed alot of breakage....but I started to us coconut and I put it up in a bun at work :)

Curlsgirl
November 21st, 2008, 05:51 AM
Unfortunately, yes. I blame indoor heating. My hair is much much drier and "electrified". I hate that. The only thing which seems to help (at least a bit) ist moisture, moisture, moisture.

Humidifier? Now, that sounds like a good idea. I'll think about that. Thanks, Curlsgirl.

You're welcome! It helps my nose and sinuses too. They get terribly dried out in the winter. :shudder:

I hate winter too!!!

Arctic
November 21st, 2008, 06:09 AM
I love winter :D

tina1025
November 21st, 2008, 07:32 AM
My hair has been extremely oily this season. I don’t know if I am doing something wrong or not doing something that I should…..i would appreciate it if someone can tell what I can do to make them less oily. A day after washing them they feel very thin and can see my scalp. Also I have noticed that my roots and scalp is oily but my lengths are not oily. 

Here is my routine and diet

I wash my hair every other day with Rosemary and nettle shampoo bar. Followed by ACV rinse (1/2 tbs with one and a half cup of water). I used not rise my hair after AVC but I have been rinsing so that it makes it less oily. But that hasn’t helped.
I oil my hair twice a week with Castor and parachute coconut oil.
I use Giovanni’s natural hair gel on the wash day
I fan dry my hair and do not use blow dryer or hair straighter.
I henna (mixed in with Aritha (Soapnut powder)) my hair once a month which helps with the oily hair but last time when I ONLY used henna (i also used brown henna this time so it may have had some sort of chemicals) they felt oily. I am going henna (mixed in with artha powder) my hair this weekend to see what happens.

I am a vegetarian and eat lots of fruits, milk, cheese, cereal, vegetables (not so much) and hairtopia vitamin. I stay away from junk food and processed food. I drink plenty of water. I drink tea once or twice a day. I don’t drink coffee or alcohol (once in a blue moon))
I know I haven’t been working out as much as I used to but I do walk to the bus stop (15 min walk) Mon-Fri. I have joined strengthening and toning class which is once a week.

squiggyflop
January 1st, 2009, 06:19 PM
hey I've been having massive tangles and breakage this winter.. its dry at the ends but my scalp is greasy.. my coney conditioner isn't working for detangling anymore.. 80% of my ends were split before my 4 hour long s&d today.. now its closer to 30%.. im afraid of losing length because of the weather.. my winter coat makes my hair all staticy..

I'm wondering if i should start oiling every day.. maybe i should limit the amount of cones i use during the winter..

JamieLeigh
January 1st, 2009, 06:24 PM
It's typical of me to want to wear my hair down more often in the wintertime, since it feels warm like a sweater to me (And I can't stand to have it sticking to my back when I'm outside and sweating in the summer! Alabama is brutal in July and August!! :(), but I've noticed that the extra exposure to cold temps tends to frizz and dry out my hair something terrible! I'm trying to combat that this year, by doing more CO washes, and I'm about to try out coconut oil soon, for the first time. And wearing it up or under a hat when I'm outside seems to help me too.