PDA

View Full Version : I'm considering long layers

lynnala
November 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM
My hair is very fine, and I really can't wear it down because it gets stringy immediately and just looks horrible. (I know what you are going to say, but your siggy looks so great! Ha! It only looks that way because it was freshly cassia'd, and when it is brand-new washed and brushed it looks full like that, but believe me, five minutes later it's all stringy again.) It is all one length, and I think perhaps if I have long layers, the stringiness will look more acceptable, at least to me. I'd like to wear my hair down more often, but every time I do, I start feeling like a, well, a hag! :justy:

It seems that many here on the boards hate their layers and can't wait to grow them out. Why do so many dislike layers so much?

spidermom
November 20th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Have you had layers before? On some hair types, it makes the hair look even thinner and stringier.

The only reason I don't have layers now (other than around the face) is because the longer my hair gets, the thinner the ends are. I want to get to classic length without having severely see-through ends, if possible. Once I reach that goal, I'm thinking about going back to waist length with long layers. BSL with long layers looked fabulous on me. The layers really brought out the wavy curlies and made my hair much easier to comb through. I loved them.

granitbaby
November 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I love my long layers when I wear my hair out. Layers bring some volume to my thin ends and keeps it from looking super stringy. But as soon as I put my hair up I remember why I dislike layers so much. The layers make my braids taper and pieces of hair are sticking out from up dos.

If you wear your hair down a lot I think layers might be nice, but if you put your hair up the most of the time I wouldn't recommend cutting layers.

MandaMom2Three
November 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I thought layers would add some body to my thin hair, they just made it look thinner :(

lynnala
November 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Have you had layers before? On some hair types, it makes the hair look even thinner and stringier.

The only reason I don't have layers now (other than around the face) is because the longer my hair gets, the thinner the ends are. I want to get to classic length without having severely see-through ends, if possible. Once I reach that goal, I'm thinking about going back to waist length with long layers. BSL with long layers looked fabulous on me. The layers really brought out the wavy curlies and made my hair much easier to comb through. I loved them.I had very messy layers once that I cut myself, but my ends at that time were damaged from coloring. Still, I think I remember that I liked it, just because they made my stringy hairdo look like it was stringy on purpose! I have wavy hair too, so I'm thinking that the layers will enhance that.

lynnala
November 20th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I love my long layers when I wear my hair out. Layers bring some volume to my thin ends and keeps it from looking super stringy. But as soon as I put my hair up I remember why I dislike layers so much. The layers make my braids taper and pieces of hair are sticking out from up dos.

If you wear your hair down a lot I think layers might be nice, but if you put your hair up the most of the time I wouldn't recommend cutting layers.I'd thought of that. I usually just put my hair in a braid, and the layers will stick out all over the place. But I could probably oil them down with coconut oil?

Eireann
November 20th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I love my layers. I have very fine BSL wavy hair. I'm shooting for tailbone with long layers (and maybe classic after that if I'm still not satisfied.)

spidermom
November 20th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I'd thought of that. I usually just put my hair in a braid, and the layers will stick out all over the place. But I could probably oil them down with coconut oil?

Even without layers, my braids have hairs sticking out all along the length of them (darn shed and regrow cycle!). All coconut oil does is make the little sticky-outs oily. Gel helps the most in that regard, but the shorter hairs still manage to stick out all over the place. Then the shorter hairs matt up from the braid swinging across my clothing. I've almost given up on wearing braids because of these issues.

Melisande
November 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM
It's important how the layers are cut. A competent hairdresser cuts good layers that make your hair look better. A less competent hairdresser... well, let's not go there. I've seen and sported both nice and ugly layers and I'm glad they're growing out. Why?

Layers are nice when you plan to have your hair open most of the time, i.e., above waist. After that, open hair becomes cumbersome and I want to wear it up. Yeah. I want but the layers don't...

Others may have less trouble making nice updos work with layers, I put up with eternally messy updos for a while. With flat hair, this is NOT the best look. So I'm glad my layers are gone.

But wavy hair is different. Layers can indeed enhance waves and make them look more interesting. Messier updos in wavy hair look very attractive. If your layers are not too drastic, I would go for it and try.

Long layers around the face are a different matter. They can flatter very much and although my face framing layers are by now APL, I may one day have them re-cut. they make a nice U-shape from the back, and can look very nice on the front. And they are easier to domesticate with clips or pins than layers in the "main head" of hair.

so go for it and post a picture...?... I can't imagine your hair anything but gorgeous ;-)

mommy101405
November 20th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I love my layers. I can't imagine that I will ever go without any at all just b.c I like the way they lay when my hair is down. (Actually going to get them trimmed up a little tonight :))

I will say they make updos more difficult though.

Dolly
November 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM
My hair is just past BSL, straight, fine, and thin. I had mine at all one length for more than 2 years. The best thing I ever did was have long layers cut in the sides, and some face-framers and bangs in the front. I wear mine down 95% of the time, and the layers make it less stringy when straight, and allow it to curl better when I roll it.

jojo
November 20th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I think layers always look better in hair which is thick, as it adds movement for me layers make my hair look thin on the ends, since my layers have nearly all gone, the thickness in my hair has improved.

Vitalai
November 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM
My stylist cut me a few layers. I'm trying to grow them out longer. They look nice down, but they're a pain when doing updos.

Bene
November 20th, 2008, 05:40 PM
layers make my cinnamon bun look kinda uneven :(

lynnala
November 20th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all the quick advice everyone, I appreciate it. I did cut some framing layers around my face today (did I mention that I always cut my own hair?) and I like it. I already had some longish fringe, so I parted that for a side-sweep and I like that too. I did cut about 2 inches off the top layer also, but my darn hair is so transparent and fine, I can't even see it! So I have to decide if I want to make the layers thicker and shorter. I'm going to wash my hair tomorrow, so I'll decide then. Then some pics, too!

GlassEyes
November 20th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I hate my layers simply because they're created to make volume, so there are several shorter layers near my crown in the back I could live without. It makes growing it out kind of awkward.