PDA

View Full Version : Best way to measure layers?

Periwinkle
November 20th, 2008, 12:04 PM
So I've decided to start trimming the ends of my hair every month in an effort to slowly eradicate the evil layers, and I want to track my progress.

What's the easiest way to measure my layers by themselves?

I have shaping that's at about shoulder, then one layer at about apl and a bit below and another just above BSL. The rest of my hair is a bit below BSL and waist when it's stretched out.

The layers were cut with a centre part but have grown out unevenly and have also been trimmed unevenly.

Ideas?

Heidi_234
November 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I have layers, so I measure the top one by taking a strand for the very top of my head, and measure it from the scalp to the ends, and then I take a strand from a above the neck, call it my bottom layer and measure it from neck to ends.
I found out that my layers are more or less same length, it's just that the top one starts at the top and barely gets past BSL while the bottom one is somewhere between waist and hip. I hate layers. Grow out already. Argh...

Katze
November 21st, 2008, 01:20 AM
I don't measure my layers; I just trim the ends and am hoping the layers will eventually catch up. Because of the deep "V" of my original haircut, which was a heavily layered "shag" cut, this is taking a very, very long time.

Do you really need to measure in order to cut? If I measure, I measure the longest layer (which kind of seems like cheating) but measuring just makes me impatient. I prefer to look at how the thickness is moving down.