PDA

View Full Version : Help me, LHCers!

Sammybunny711
November 20th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Okay...so as some of you know...I have been experimenting with Shampoo bars and for two weeks, my hair LOVED them. I did a vinegar rinse and all was cool. Well, when my sweet fiance expressed concern over the lingering vinegar smell in my scalp, I was all fired up to do some experimenting with heavily (HEAVILY) diluted lemon juice rinses. This is where the problems start. After the first night...my hair was DISGUSTINGLY hard to comb through, waxy, etc. So...I tried it again with a slightly different ratio and with some conditioner added. Same. Then I did a vinegar + lavender EO + conditioner mix and left it on my hair for about 10 minutes while I did other showery things. My hair felt better but it was still pretty build-up-ish. So today, I read about clarifying and did a tablespoon of baking soda in 24 oz of water and left it on my hair for a few minutes. I honestly could not tell ANY difference in my hair. I followed it with the same moisterizing vinegar + lavender EO + conditioner mix and though it feels a little better...it still feels waxy...gross...and (*depressed*) NOT LIKE MY HAIR!!!!! I am just kind of confused about where to go from here. Should I CO and then go back to CWC for a little while? What should I do? I refuse to use anything with SLS in it and I also don't use cones. However, when I did CO about a year ago...it made my hair limp and sad looking. I need some advice. I am not too concerned if I need to not use poo bars anymroe since I can use them for shaving/body soap, etc. But I just want my hair to feel soft and shiny again...:(

OhioLisa
November 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM
It sounds like you're trying too many things at once. I say go back to whatever was working for you and stick to it for a while. I imagine that the lemon rinses were too strong for your hair. Then by clarifying, you probably dried your hair out even more. You might want to try a deep conditioning treatment with just some coconut oil, then wash in the manner that works best for you. Good luck & keep us posted! :flowers:

Lamb
November 20th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I refuse to use anything with SLS in it and I also don't use cones.

I'm afraid you need to start over with your routine, you've been trying way too many things at once. You say you have buildup - and the best way to get rid of that is to wash with a clarifying shampoo, since baking soda didn't do any good to your hair. So, just for this once, do get an SLS shampoo without any cones in it, and do a clarifying wash. Use just enough conditioner to detangle, and rinse very well.

You can go back to your shampoo bars after. If lemon juice did not work for your hair, and you or your fiance dislike vinegar smell try citric acid. You can find it in most health food stores or pharmacies. If you search for it in the shampoo bar thread, you will find most people add 0.5 teaspoon to 1-1.5 litre water. It is a bit stronger than vinegar, but it doesn't leave any odour.