PDA

View Full Version : fringe washing

goldenbrunette
November 20th, 2008, 11:31 AM
hey all,

i have pretty fine hair and have to wash every day if i want to look presentable otherwise my fringe gets really greasy and sticks to my forehead. however, i'm trying to get it to every other day now but was wondering that if i perhaps just shampood the fringe trying to keep the rest of my hair dry, would this be effective?? or is it too hard to do that and would the rest of my hair still be greasy. it's just that i'm seeing no growth at all...from chin length to shoulder the growth was noticable but i seem to have been at shoulder for a lifetime!
i try everything ~ vitamins; biotin and kerastase, eat a bit of everything to get nutrients.. but anyway, this site just leaves me like this > :O because it seems impossible for my hair to grow as long as any of yours! arg

CindyLea1
November 20th, 2008, 11:35 AM
If I were you, I would just pull the length up in a ponytail. Keep the bangs/fringe out.

Wash this part in the sink. Let it dry and style as usual.

I used to so this along time ago, when I had shorter bangs that I styled with multiple layers of gunk. :P

CindyLea

LutraLutra
November 20th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I think if you pulled the rest of your hair back, then made your fringe wet, patted in a little shampoo then carefully rinsed your fringe again, then that could work. Give it a go, let us know how you get on. :)

Wind
November 20th, 2008, 11:38 AM
When I had long hair, I would wash my bangs/fringe just about every morning in the bathroom sink, and washed my length every other night or so. It worked great for me, and didn't look greasy at all.

goldenbrunette
November 20th, 2008, 11:38 AM
kk thats what ill do tommorow morning then, thanks. i'm currently living in a really windy area see, and use a lot of serum on my hair to try and keep it from fluffing up!! and its a side fringe that im trying to grow out..

Tabitha
November 20th, 2008, 11:39 AM
There are people here with beautiful longer-than-waist hair who wash their hair every day.

There are also people who wash their fringe/bangs between "main" washings (I do this by bunning my hair and putting on a plastic hotel shower cap to keep the rest of it dry. I do it at the bathroom basin rather than in the shower because it's easier to control).

Neither is "wrong" - it's a question of what works for you.

ClareDee
November 20th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I used to do a fringe-only wash when I had a fringe! Very handy for those days when you don't have time to (or don't want to) wash your whole head. The rest of your scalp will still look oily, but it does make a difference to have a freshly clean fringe, especially if the rest of your hair is tied back and less visible. It also helps to keep your forehead clean and fresh-feeling.

I don't see why you shouldn't do it. Try it out and see how it works. Washing your fringe every day, for example, isn't likely to be damaging to it since you're trimming it often so it doesn't develop damaged ends.

Honestly, I don't think that regular hair-washing really affects hair growth very much. The reason some of us don't wash daily is because wet hair is vulnerable hair. Your hair is more likely to stretch and break while wet, so keeping it dry as much as possible can help to keep it undamaged. Then again, I used to wash daily (and some members here wash daily) and damaged hair is not always a consequence at all.

Another reason some of us don't want to do a daily or very-frequent hair-wash is that we don't use hair dryers. That means the hair has to dry naturally, which obviously takes time. For me it'd be a pain to have wet hair for so long every day. I imagine others feel the same - especially those with very long hair that might take hours to dry.

I now wash every other day, or 3 times a week at least. My scalp is still oily on the day after washing, but I'm getting used to the appearance and feeling of that. It doesn't bother me much anymore. My advice would be to experiment with stretching your washes out a little, and yeah, wash your fringe daily if it works for you. :thumbsup:

Kirin
November 20th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I prefer to clean my fine hair daily, as its very oily, but there are times I just can't do to time constraints...... or camping at a venue where a shower is not available. In that case I've found putting my hair up and out of the way, and washing bangs/fringe and forehead with a warm washcloth with a drop of shampoo in the water does the trick.

My hair "looks" clean with the fresh fringe, even if the rest of my hair is not.

Periwinkle
November 20th, 2008, 11:58 AM
If washing your fringe only works for you, then go for it! It's quicker than washing all your hair and it takes less time to dry as well.

Whenever I wash just a bit of my hair, I pull the rest back in my shower bun and lean over to wash the bits I want under the tap.

nimeera
November 20th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Until very recently I used to wash my hair daily. Wet hair was not a problem. In fact, it is easier to get into an updo. This fall I started washing every other day, more for convenience than anything else. In fact, it is harder to style my hair dry!

Fantak
November 20th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Would dry shampoo be an option? I use it sometimes when something suddenly comes up and I don't have time for a shower+hair wash. I have very very very dark brown hair and have never had any problems with it showing up on dark hair ^.^

goldenbrunette
November 20th, 2008, 12:13 PM
you know, ive got that batiste dry shampoo and i give it a proper rub in but it just makes my hair look grey! its basically talc so doesn't really work for me

btw, thanks for the quick responses everyone

Fantak
November 20th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I use oscar blandi's dry shampoo (powder not spray) which I think is corn starch based not talc based and haven't had any problems ^.^ It does get a little itchy if you use too much though :/ not so much to the point of not using it again but it can be a minor annoyance.

ETA: It's not corn starch it's "Natural rice, oat, and tapioca starches cleanse hair by absorbing excess oil, product, and grease and increase hair volume at the roots without weighing hair down. Triclosan and tea tree oil help treat the scalp and reduce the occurrence of dandruff, while the invigorating lemon verbena fragrance leaves hair smelling and feeling fresh."

There you go ^.^

Fantak
November 20th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I just had a thought and thought.. how long did you stay on the biotin/vitamins/kerastase? It can take 3-4 months for some people to respond to these treatments. Also if you feel your up to trying scalp oils and massages maybe 2-3 times a week (it'll take about an hour or so each session) then give that a try too.

HTH :)

goldenbrunette
November 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM
thankyou fantak

the kerastase ive been taking for a gd few months now..
the biotin just started up again a month ago

oh well.
i have a friend who does no exercise, eats junk, smokes like a chimney, drinks like a fish and dyes and straightens her hair within an inch of its life yet her hair grows so so quick. shes grown it out from a pixie cut and now its mid waist!! i dont know how shes done it but its only taken her 2 yrs

vividdreamer
November 20th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I definitely do this. I just put the rest of my hair back in a ponytail and then wash my bangs quickly. They get greasy MUCH faster than the rest of my hair does because they're in direct contact with my skin and makeup.

AmandaPanda
November 20th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I would wash my bangs/fringe just about every morning in the bathroom sink, and washed my length every other night or so. It worked great for me, and didn't look greasy at all.

This is what I do. It works fine for me!

Also, my hair still starts getting oily by the end of the day after I wash it (I wash in the evening). I should probably wash it daily