PDA

View Full Version : I Love BIG Hair!!!

Sherri
November 20th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I don't know if a thread like this has been started yet. But here goes anyway. I just love big hair. I think part of me must be Texan or had a former life as a beauty contestant. lol I did this and I haven't stopped smiling since. :) I was wondering if any of you have a thing for the beauty pagent hairstyles or just big hair in general and if so please post your pics here.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n285/Sherri3_2006/lhc1024.jpg

embee
November 20th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I've always been a bit envious of Big Hair... because mine is fine and thin, straight and limp. It must be amazing to have waves and lots of hair and a bun that is large or a ponytail that is thick. Complex updo styles are a real possibility. Big Hair people don't realize how good they have it, I don't think! :)

Sherri
November 20th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Well, my hair is not really big I have to make it that way. I wish it came natural but it looks like we have similar hair types. It is easier for some who have thicker hair than for us finer hair ladies who have to work a bit harder to pull off the look. I don't wear it very often, but when I do I just have fun and feel very feminine. Plus all the curls on the next day give me this massive bun which I do love. Plus all the height in the front get rid of my limp hair blues I get sometimes.

Fantak
November 20th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I *love* big hair!!!! I have pictures and pictures of gorgeous models with huge hair in my 'Hair' file on my desktop (yes I have a file on my desktop just for hair). I can never seem to get it to work for my face though, my hair seems to take over and I end up looking like a koosh ball (http://kfb1.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/koosh-ball.jpg) -.-; good thing is it all goes down in abut an hour so I have not-so-big-but-still-puffy hair and it looks great :D

may1em
November 20th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I'm not into really big hair, but I like volume at the roots. Sadly, my hair can't be long and have volume at the roots at the same time. I like to make poofy fifth-back ponytails sometimes in an attempt at volume, but it never works.

I have thick hair, too, it's just all very fine. When it's shorter than shoulder, I'm very prone to triangle head!

I guess if the amount of volume is the same all over the hair it's great.

That was a lot of words to say I'm more anti "little" hair than pro big hair.

Sherri
November 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I'm not into really big hair, but I like volume at the roots. Sadly, my hair can't be long and have volume at the roots at the same time. I like to make poofy fifth-back ponytails sometimes in an attempt at volume, but it never works.

I have thick hair, too, it's just all very fine. When it's shorter than shoulder, I'm very prone to triangle head!

I guess if the amount of volume is the same all over the hair it's great.

That was a lot of words to say I'm more anti "little" hair than pro big hair.
What are poofy fifth-back ponytails?

Dolly
November 20th, 2008, 03:29 PM
My love for big hair....precisely why I roll mine to get that headful of curls in my avatar! I do that at least once or twice a month.....I haven't added a full frontal pic of that style to my album, but it is big, for sure!

EvaSimone
November 20th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I love big hair!!! The bigger the better (well their are some exceptions :rolling:)

I have hair that doesn't get big except with curling irons or rollers.

I've started using magnetic rollers and my heat cap and I get some nice volume.

Sherri I think you're hair looks awesome big!

Aisha25
November 20th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I am in love with that big hair in back look they always had this look in classic bollywood and I always wanted to copy it always.

Um Enis
November 20th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Another big hair lover here (although I love all hair types, big is definitely included)! And Sherri, I love the picture too.

mellie
November 20th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Yes!!! Let me share some of my attempts, haha!

These are some old photos from three years ago. My naturally straight hair:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1886&pictureid=25364

After:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1886&pictureid=25365

Here's an even older one from four years ago:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1886&pictureid=25366

I don't let a curling iron touch my hair much nowadays - but it sure looks pretty though!! :-)

plainjanegirl
November 20th, 2008, 06:01 PM
sherrie-
You look good with big hair. What did you use to get the curls? I bet that took alot of hairspray.
mellie-
those are pretty hair styles too.

Tressie
November 20th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Yes!! I love big hair too! You made me think of my niece when she was small. She always called long hair "big hair"! LOL! (o:

truepeacenik
November 20th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Arkansas is close enough to Texas!

I , back in wilder days and wilder times, was a cast member with the Rocky Horror Picture Show in Dallas (also Arlington and Ft Worth, I know from big hair).
For one character, I would braid my then midback hair into about 30 braids, dry it, unbraid and flip my head over and spray about half a can of Aquanet at the roots and the rest down the length.
THAT was big.
Add white make up and, well, the goths had NOTHING on me.
Form patchoulied-out metalish-hippie girl to transexual transylvanian (the side characters in the Time Warp scene) in six hours.
Sadly, my hair has always been heavy, so by 4 am. it was back to a more normal for the 80s lift.

I believe I burned all existing pictures.

mellie
November 20th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Oh, party pooper!! :-)

Sherri
November 20th, 2008, 08:25 PM
My love for big hair....precisely why I roll mine to get that headful of curls in my avatar! I do that at least once or twice a month.....I haven't added a full frontal pic of that style to my album, but it is big, for sure!
I love your curls they are so pretty!!!

Sherri
November 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM
sherrie-
You look good with big hair. What did you use to get the curls? I bet that took alot of hairspray.
mellie-
those are pretty hair styles too.
Not a lot just some on the ends to help hold in the curl at the bottom. Very light use. If I use at the top I get hairspray dandruff. yucky

Sherri
November 20th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Arkansas is close enough to Texas!

I , back in wilder days and wilder times, was a cast member with the Rocky Horror Picture Show in Dallas (also Arlington and Ft Worth, I know from big hair).
For one character, I would braid my then midback hair into about 30 braids, dry it, unbraid and flip my head over and spray about half a can of Aquanet at the roots and the rest down the length.
THAT was big.
Add white make up and, well, the goths had NOTHING on me.
Form patchoulied-out metalish-hippie girl to transexual transylvanian (the side characters in the Time Warp scene) in six hours.
Sadly, my hair has always been heavy, so by 4 am. it was back to a more normal for the 80s lift.

Oh, I so wish I could have seen you then. Any old photos lying around?

Jean_Grey
November 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Awww, I got all excited thinking about Magenta. :)

~GypsyCurls~
November 20th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I have huge hair sometimes! If I shampoo it, or if it's humid/wet outside, my hair gets huge and shrinks up quite a bit.

Curlsgirl
November 20th, 2008, 09:48 PM
This is so funny when I think of all the years I have spent making my hair be SMALLER LOL!!! Now since it's longer it's naturally about how I like it but when it's shorter, WHOA look out!

twilight_faerie
November 20th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I like big hair! I, unfortunately, can't have it, though...my hair is too straight, especially now that it's hennaed. I used to put tons of gel in my hair and scrunch it, and even that didn't make it big. It just made it...sticky...and stiff, and gross. I wouldn't know how to make it really big and curly, short of using a curling iron.

Ryanne
November 20th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I don't like big hair, at least not on myself, on others it looks great.

Gypsy
November 21st, 2008, 12:25 AM
Big hair? I got some BIG hair for ya, lol!!
This was at my bff's disco-leap day birthday party (yes, as a leap day baby she is only 8 years old, lol!), it's my Donna Summer hair:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/LaMermaid/bighair-1.jpg
That took my blow drying upside down and hairspray.
NEVER again. When washing it the next day, it was breaking under the water.:mad:
This is how it looks normally-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/LaMermaid/hair-4.jpg
Not quite so big. Although I will do some Farrah curls from time to time.

Katze
November 21st, 2008, 12:28 AM
If I go to bed with damp hair and sleep just right on it, or if I blowdry and clip up, I can get wild hair that verges on biggish...it's almost too fine to really get poof, but as I get more thickness at the crown I can't avoid a bit of volume, which I am really liking at the moment.

In my goth days I used to braid, scrunch, and hairspray. My hair was about shoulder length, in terrible shape, and looked a bit like spiderwebs - I never put much effort into getting more than a halfhearted Robert Smith look. When living in northern England I befriended two mega-goth girls with these HUGE pompadours...something we never did in the west coast goth scene. I always wondered how they did it, and visited one during the day once...she had no makeup on, but did still have the big hair...!

Shanarana
November 21st, 2008, 03:37 AM
Yeah for big hair!!

mortiziia
November 21st, 2008, 04:56 AM
Big hair is not for me, but I got this on the Yearbook Yourself website and find it sort of cute: me in the 60s!

http://yytaub.images.omniti.com/assets/uploads/yearbook_img_sml/yqg3t3WWGLV39IPMH2h0K6olIGsNl9pt.jpg

Robbi Dehlinger
November 21st, 2008, 05:27 AM
Big hair is not for me, but I got this on the Yearbook Yourself website and find it sort of cute: me in the 60s!

http://yytaub.images.omniti.com/assets/uploads/yearbook_img_sml/yqg3t3WWGLV39IPMH2h0K6olIGsNl9pt.jpg

I like your hair much better now:)

Nes
November 21st, 2008, 06:44 AM
Even though my hair is very thick i'm very envious of people who have big, long, wild hair as my hair is very flat at the roots.

I never try and make my hair big though as all the style instructions seem to start with "backcomb your hair" and there's no way that's happening!

The Donna Summer hair is fantastic!!

Nes x

Fantak
November 21st, 2008, 08:17 AM
I like big hair and I can not lie
You other sisters can't deny
When a girl walks in with an itty bitty face
And big round curls dressed in lace
You get sprung!
:hollie::hollie::hollie::hollie:

(sorry couldn't resist) :D

Sherri
November 21st, 2008, 08:22 AM
Big hair? I got some BIG hair for ya, lol!!
This was at my bff's disco-leap day birthday party (yes, as a leap day baby she is only 8 years old, lol!), it's my Donna Summer hair:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/LaMermaid/bighair-1.jpg
That took my blow drying upside down and hairspray.
NEVER again. When washing it the next day, it was breaking under the water.:mad:
This is how it looks normally-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/LaMermaid/hair-4.jpg
Not quite so big. Although I will do some Farrah curls from time to time.
That is FABULOUS and so BIG. And look at the smile on your face. I bet that was fun even if only for a night.

Sherri
November 21st, 2008, 08:26 AM
I like big hair and I can not lie
You other sisters can't deny
When a girl walks in with an itty bitty face
And big round curls dressed in lace
You get sprung!
:hollie::hollie::hollie::hollie:

(sorry couldn't resist) :D
You are so funny. I was wondering when someone would start singing:happydance:

Nicole.Amina
November 21st, 2008, 08:55 AM
I. Love. BIG. Hair.

I'm in a sort of catch 22. The dryer my hair is the bigger it gets, which I love. But that also means more damage. The more moisturized and healthy my hair is, the flatter it looks. I can't seem to find a balance between big healthy hair.

I'll see if I can post some pictures later tonight :rolling:

Sherri
November 21st, 2008, 09:00 AM
I. Love. BIG. Hair.

I'm in a sort of catch 22. The dryer my hair is the bigger it gets, which I love. But that also means more damage. The more moisturized and healthy my hair is, the flatter it looks. I can't seem to find a balance between big healthy hair.

I'll see if I can post some pictures later tonight :rolling:
I know what you mean. I like the big hair but scared of the blowfryer. I only use right at the scalp area for short time to get some lift.

longhairdreams
November 21st, 2008, 10:15 AM
Oh big hair, how do I love thee. And of course my hair doesnt do big.

Gypsy, I love the big hair.Too bad its so damaging it looks great.

Mangachan
November 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM
I love big hair. My hair is big and only getting bigger. I can't wait till it gets back to the length it was before I cute it, it's going to be really big then.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/mangachan/DSCN0990.jpg

Gypsy
November 21st, 2008, 12:34 PM
That is FABULOUS and so BIG. And look at the smile on your face. I bet that was fun even if only for a night.

It was way fun! We always do our birthdays big but since her real birthday every 4 years, we have to go all out!
Thanks, everyone! My Donna Summer hair was a hit but it wouldn't be worth it to do it again. :(

snowbird
November 21st, 2008, 01:12 PM
I love having big hair :D

morguebabe
November 21st, 2008, 01:18 PM
When I get home I can post some awesome big teased 80s hair.

Mugili
November 21st, 2008, 01:25 PM
I. Love. BIG. Hair.

Yeah, me too. I even try to find the balance, but i'm afraid i never got really big hair again.
Or only for one night...but then i want to look like gypsy and have that fun anyway! :D

eyesofsummer
November 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM
I have no choice but to like it! And the longer it gets, the bigger it becomes :)

I was a lion for halloween, I'll try to post pictures later

Sherri
November 21st, 2008, 01:43 PM
When I get home I can post some awesome big teased 80s hair.
Oh, I remember the 80's. I wish I would have had big hair then, but I cut it all off and had a mullet:( spiked on the top (about an inch long) the back was in a DA with the tail (almost a rat tail but more hair than that)about BSL length. Was I crazy or what?

morguebabe
November 21st, 2008, 01:45 PM
I was only like 7 or 8 at the time, but my cousin was in hair/beauty school at the time. I was her practice head, I had perms and HUGE teased out hair.. It's really funny pictures other kids are running about with normal kid hair, and here I was with this 80s hair.. :-)

Sherri
November 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM
I think it was the late 80's or early 90's, I used to take a hair pick and hold my hair straight up and spray it so hard with hairspray that it stood about 5 or 6 inches off my head that was with the bangs that were so permed and curly. talk about some big hair. lol

rileysmama32208
November 21st, 2008, 02:20 PM
i like height on my hair... my friends and i always quote "The Nanny" when she says "The bigger the hair, the smaller the hips" lol, becuase its so true. Im pear shaped, so any bigness i can get on top evens me out, lol.

vamq
November 21st, 2008, 03:42 PM
Here another one who just loves big hair.

Last night, I made two braids so I would have beautiful waves-and big hair. Then I had to let the dog out, and it started raining really hard. And my waves were all gone -_-'

I work in a supermarket, and everytime I see people with beautiful curls (especially dark hair, that's so pretty..) I get so envious =( While my niece has the most beautiful big hair and she tries to flatten it every day...Well..I wanna trade with her:P

Sherri
November 21st, 2008, 04:00 PM
Here another one who just loves big hair.

Last night, I made two braids so I would have beautiful waves-and big hair. Then I had to let the dog out, and it started raining really hard. And my waves were all gone -_-'

I work in a supermarket, and everytime I see people with beautiful curls (especially dark hair, that's so pretty..) I get so envious =( While my niece has the most beautiful big hair and she tries to flatten it every day...Well..I wanna trade with her:P
I know what you mean. I also have a niece who loves the straightening iron and tries to get it as flat as she can. I guess the grass is always greener...

Tangles
November 21st, 2008, 04:09 PM
I like big hair as long as the volume is in equilibrium. I absolutely can't stand flat head + poof at the bottom. This is why I'm probably gonna keep my face framing layers...

Tangles
November 21st, 2008, 04:10 PM
i like height on my hair... my friends and i always quote "The Nanny" when she says "The bigger the hair, the smaller the hips" lol, becuase its so true. Im pear shaped, so any bigness i can get on top evens me out, lol.

This is true not only for hips, but any big feature you don't like. I find that volume at the crown really balances out my stick-out nose and accentuates my petiteness in a way I like.

NeilTheFuzz
November 21st, 2008, 04:15 PM
KAH-POW!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j247/narkins/DSC00827.jpg

mellie
November 21st, 2008, 05:55 PM
Wow!!

I love these pics!!

Sherri
November 21st, 2008, 06:06 PM
KAH-POW!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j247/narkins/DSC00827.jpg
Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. SHAZAM

Robbi Dehlinger
November 22nd, 2008, 12:02 AM
That certainly qualifies as BIG HAIR and it is pretty:)

morguebabe
November 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Morguebabe/l_e461a3bf953b6a23f33deaab273713f1.jpg

Lets see if this works...me in the 80s. I may not count since it's NOT naturally that way, I just get a kick out of it, since I was like way to young to have done that to myself...note my cousin behind me who did it.

Sherri
November 22nd, 2008, 10:09 PM
:rockerdud That is some serious heavy metal hair you got going on there and probably didn't even know it...or did you?

jessie58
November 22nd, 2008, 11:32 PM
I adore big hair. I used to get perms for years so I would have height and volume on top. Now it's just big sideways.

I am insanely jealous of NeiltheFuzz's hair. I would LOVE hair like his.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 23rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
I was watching a documentary on the JFK asassination on the History Channel.

A newsreel showed a dancer who worked at Jack Ruby's Nightclub. That was some BIG hair, but much too "glued"

Gladtobemom
November 24th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Me too.

My method for getting it is with curlers.

Sherri
November 24th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Me too.

My method for getting it is with curlers.
Do you use sponge rollers? I seem to get great curl with these. I have been using the brush roller -minus the brush-because they pull at my hair. I put them into the top. And watch out here comes the BIG HAIR:cheese:

rhubarbarin
November 24th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I have naturally big hair and I like it. If I don't weigh it down with moisturizers it's twice as wide as I am!

Sometimes I want super straight shiny hair with no body, but I just look funny when my hair is flat to my head..

My favorite thing about having so much body is that it makes my i length look quite full! People are always telling me I have so much hair, when really I have less than average.

Sherri
November 24th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I have naturally big hair and I like it. If I don't weigh it down with moisturizers it's twice as wide as I am!

Sometimes I want super straight shiny hair with no body, but I just look funny when my hair is flat to my head..

My favorite thing about having so much body is that it makes my i length look quite full! People are always telling me I have so much hair, when really I have less than average.
Yeah, I get that alot. People say my hair is so thick and I'm like no not really it just looks that way.

prosperina
November 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I like big hair too. Although I don't have much choice. My roommate in college used to tell me I looked like a lion. She didn't mean anything bad. She just said in a matter of fact way, and she was right; I did. Now I guess I'm a hennaed lion. :lol: