PDA

View Full Version : Its harder then I thought...

Alana2000
November 20th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I am trying my hardest to do the "self picture taking of the back of my head thing..." and its hard! Well for me anyway... ah well time to dig out the tripod.

Jessikinz
November 20th, 2008, 07:29 AM
same here! There's an article around here though about how to take pictures like that. But I still can't take good ones. Oh well, when I get a new digital camera i'll just get someone to take pics of the back of my head hehe.

Alana2000
November 20th, 2008, 07:35 AM
So glad I am not alone.

Chromis
November 20th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Short of a self timer and tripod, you can also use a mirror to sneak a peak at your digicam's display while taking pictures in the mirror like so:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1023/849657578_033062d9f8_m.jpg

Carolyn
November 20th, 2008, 07:42 AM
On a good picture taking day, I'll take at least a dozen bad ones that I delete before I get one I like. It takes a lot of practice and using the delete button :D

MandaMom2Three
November 20th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I'm part of the take a hundred pictures to get ONE good one too :p . I've tried using the mirror but then all I get is flash or glare from he windows. My 8yo usually takes pics for me but he's short so they tend to show the bottom of my head instead of the back :p

Copasetic
November 20th, 2008, 08:04 AM
i know what you mean!i tried it and it did not work out. i think i will take the advice of the member that suggested using a mirror and your cameras display screen. i will give it a shot tonight!

LaurelSpring
November 20th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Yes! I get frustrated too. The mirror thing didnt work for me because of the flash/glare. I need more practice.

Ryanne
November 20th, 2008, 08:28 AM
The mirror works for me, though I have to delete most.

Chromis
November 20th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Regarding flash/glare: my camera's built in flash is horrid. I very rarely use it and always need to colour-correct when I do. Instead I try to take pictures during the day when the light is better, or use supplementary lighting. Drag a lamp in with you if needed then position it so it doesn't show in the mirror (causing more glare).

Another option for the tripod-less. Try setting your camera on various objects to see if you can get the right light and angle to work out. For instance, my hair is too long to fit in my bathroom mirror for length shots anymore unless I stand tip toe on a phone book which is not the most optimal for holding my hand steady! I have large windows but very few lamps, so I can get good lighting during the day but it's pretty hopeless when the sun goes down. I find if I set the camera on the table and then go stand by the window I can get an almost decent shot like so:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3056/2929862714_ec53e19828.jpg

It'll take a lot of trial and error but the upside is that once you find a spot that works you'll know where to stand. Also I might take a moment to remind people not to be like me and wear clothing that your hair is hard to tell apart from when you are specifically trying to take hair pictures :lol:

Alana2000
November 20th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Wow I can't express how easy taking a picture is with the tripod (a cheap one bought at the Dollarstore) and the camera timer, I will now have to wait untill wash day then I will post a picture of my shoulder length from the back... so I can start tracking the growth, I figure if I refresh the picture every 6 months then I can really see a change.

Alana2000
November 20th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Oh and Chromis I love that picture above, except on my monitor I can't get the full length of your hair.. so thats a bummer... no pun intended.

Chromis
November 20th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Oh and Chromis I love that picture above, except on my monitor I can't get the full length of your hair.. so thats a bummer... no pun intended.

Oh but I love puns! I do need to get some not black pants one of these days :)

Man, our dollar store never has cool things like camera tripods!

Tapioca
November 20th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I have an insanely hard time taking my own pictures, so I usually get DH to do it.

joyfulmom4
November 20th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Oh, I am terrible at this. What I have started to do is to take multiple shots in a row, just moving the camera angle a tiny bit each time. This way, I figure once I've taken a dozen or more shots all at slightly different angles, then at least one of them should be decent.

It works OK. Sometimes I STILL don't get a good shot though.

Islandgrrl
November 20th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I usually end up taking about 20 pictures of my arse at various unflattering angles before I manage to get my hair in the shot. I've given up trying to do it myself.

Tyrinaniel
November 20th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I do a lot of stock photo artwork, and the best way to do it is to find some platform that comes up to your waist. I personally use my stand alone jewelry "wardrobe" as I call it. It comes to my waist, and set it to where you can see my full body length and take photos.

Typically you go by your own height as the guideline for distance, but if you're just doing hair shots, try using half your height or shorter as the distance, which is typical for portraits. If your camera has an auto focus, use that too.

Try using a location near your window so that you're using natural light, or using your house lights instead of the flash. This gives for a better quality image. The flash gives a very harsh light and glare.

Bathrooms typically have great lighting, but finding a spot to set your camera can be difficult. Just look for ANY surface that comes to your waist, and grab a lamp or something for a good light source. You want something strong but not glaring.

spidermom
November 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I snag anybody handy when I want a new picture. I tell people I'm in a long hair club and need an update picture. Nobody has refused me yet.

Tyrinaniel
November 20th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Hehe, as long as they don't run off with a very nice camera you're fine :P

I personally want one of these:

http://www.photojojo.com/uncut/wp-content/_uploads/2006/08/gorillapod_SLR.jpg

One of my stock friends has a few like this, in different sizes. Best Buy has a smaller one for a great price, perfect for medium to small cameras. It's just lovely!

Lady Verity
November 20th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Oh gawd, me too. I have to bend my knees to even fit into the mirror. It's just hopeless.

At least this way I don't have to look at my split ends in their full technicolour glory.

~GypsyCurls~
November 20th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I actually want to take a much, much fancier one (it's just my nature) but it's hard without a companion or tripod! My camera does have a self timer though, so it's possible it'll just be difficult. I'm actually going to try and do it today.