PDA

View Full Version : What do you S & D?

lacereza
November 19th, 2008, 10:18 PM

LilyMunster
November 19th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I look over the last 6-7 inches and snip forks, dots, strands that are making an 'L' meaning it's obviously not a wave, it's ready to snap. Prevention has served me well. Moreso than hunting out the damage.;)

spidermom
November 20th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I go for anything that jumps out at me, usually because it's lighter in color or the split is obvious or there's a knot (fairy or demon).

nimeera
November 20th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I haven't had a hair cut in,...oh gosh,...it must have been almost 10 years ago. I had my hair washed, trimmed, and styled at a salon as I was a maid of honor in my sister's wedding, and now her first child is in 4th grade! And even that was a first since, gee, now I'm getting forgetful. The only other time I remember is when I was 12 years old and was tramatized by a beautician taking row after row off my hair trying to make it straight, and ending up with most of it on the floor!

Periodically I look at my hair and take off any split ends or knots. That's it. No trims. No haircuts. I also wear it in an updo almost all the time, henna it once a month or so, braid it for bed, and oil almost daily. Just last week I started CO, and last night I picked up ingredients to make a scalp massage oil (thanks LHC!) It seems to be working for me. My hair only shows a hint of dryness at the very ends, if that.

I'm trying to grow it out (heh heh!)

joyfulmom4
November 20th, 2008, 01:02 PM
S&D is a new process to me, so I'm just figuring this out. I spread out my hair and look for any obvious splits or forks or knots. These I snip off as close to the end as possible. Most fo the time you're not losing any significant length, just getting rid of the tips. When I first began snipping the bad spots, I did take of the most dry and longest ends of the hair, but it wasn't quite what I'd call a trim.

I take my contact lenses out (my lenses are for distance vision and my near vision is actually better w/o them) and/or use magnification to help me find the bad ends. I try to be very careful about not snipping anything other than the tip of the damaged hair. I don't trim them unless they're clearly split, knotted, fraying or totally kinked.

My hair has recently been much easier to comb out and has been shedding a lot less. It may be due to a combination of things such as oiling and less frequent washing. But I think the S&D helps a lot. In the past, when my hair got hard to comb, a trim would take care of that. Now it feels as is I'd had a trim, but I haven't.

burns_erin
November 20th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I cut off any obvious spilts as well as ends that just feel wrong.